Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 3rd 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview: July 3rd 2014

Wivenhoe Quay on Colchester (Lab defence)
Last election to council (2014): Liberal Democrat 25, Conservative 23, Labour 8, Independent 3 (No Overall Control, Liberal Democrats short by 5)
Last election in ward (2011): Labour 1,279 (57%), Conservative 573 (26%), Greens 217 (10%), Liberal Democrats 172 (8%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    First

And don't apologise, you do a brilliant job with these round ups.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Why's the formatting so crap?? Who wants local previews anyway? Bring back Sean F's slot - what I considered to be the start of the weekend.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    JBriskin said:

Why's the formatting so crap?? Who wants local previews anyway? Bring back Sean F's slot - what I considered to be the start of the weekend.

I appreciate the effort Harry puts into these.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JBriskin said:

Fair enough, I appreciate, in some way, everyone who engages with PB (apart from Smarmy and Carynx who really annoy me)- But-

1) The formatting can definatelly be improved.

2) Sean F's Slot Rocked! - Honestly, it was really good (2b, timing much better as well)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    JBriskin said:

RobD said:

JBriskin said:

Fair enough, I appreciate, in some way, everyone who engages with PB (apart from Smarmy and Carynx who really annoy me)- But-

1) The formatting can definatelly be improved.

2) Sean F's Slot Rocked! - Honestly, it was really good (2b, timing much better as well)

Well if he want's to write more, he should ask the powers-that-be! I am sure that it wasn't an either/or scenario between Harry and SeanF.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JBriskin
    Oh bless your little cotton socks, I never knew you cared. ;-)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited July 2014
    Hi all,my computer crashed yesterday and I' m having to use my nearly four yars old iPad; what a bore.Didn'tmiss much, seamingly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Mostly competitive councils tonight then, that's good. Eye has to be on Tower Hamlets I suppose, they do get a lot of press down that way.
  • Options
    SeanF said it was too much work - but since it's not the first time I've mentioned it I'm sure he'll know his former work was appreciated :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The LDs held Cheltenham for the full elections then? I do sometimes wonder at these little LD enclaves that are holding out even as many of their others are annihilated.
  • Options
    You have to laugh. George might be a little peeved, but I am sure he will not miss the odd billion.
    "Tax officials wrongly claimed office had brought in £1.9bn more when correct figure was £100m, says National Audit Office"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/tax-officials-wrongly-claimed-brining-in-billions
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Don't be too impatient for the TH results; they should finish counting before the month is out.
    kle4 said:

Mostly competitive councils tonight then, that's good. Eye has to be on Tower Hamlets I suppose, they do get a lot of press down that way.

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

The LDs held Cheltenham for the full elections then? I do sometimes wonder at these little LD enclaves that are holding out even as many of their others are annihilated.

Sutton is the same....but they are Local Democrats rather than Liberal Democrats...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Evening all :)

Yes, some interesting contests today and we'll see what we'll see. I look forward to somebody helping Brandon Lewis find £2 billion of surplus property assets and explaining to him they can only be sold once not every year.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Hi everyone. Sorry for not posting for ages. I've been re-elected to my council since I last posted. It was looking touch and go in the campaign, but we powered ahead in the last weeks, and I made it by a couple of hundred.

I was delivering in St James this morning. I think it'll be tight between LD/Tories. A similar ward was won by the Lib Dems in the county elections last year, and it's the same candidate, so there's something of an incumbency factor. Labour don't seem to have been very active.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    lots tonight - goodo

• Options
    @tpfkar
    Welcome back, and congratulations.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

You have to laugh. George might be a little peeved, but I am sure he will not miss the odd billion.
    "Tax officials wrongly claimed office had brought in £1.9bn more when correct figure was £100m, says National Audit Office"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/tax-officials-wrongly-claimed-brining-in-billions

Well I clicked on your link Smarmy.

I saw a pick of Margaret Hodge.

And then I thought-

Does anyone else remember her live in committee on sky news addressing that top bbc bod (the one with the beard and not very nice face) as Harry Cole??? I thought that was some fairly weird shit going on there. Much apologies to all politicos if this has not been interneted before.

• Options
    @JBriskin
    My mirth might be uncalled for, but I am a bit of a Laffer, and I couldn't help myself. ;-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    tpfkar said:

Hi everyone. Sorry for not posting for ages. I've been re-elected to my council since I last posted. It was looking touch and go in the campaign, but we powered ahead in the last weeks, and I made it by a couple of hundred.

I was delivering in St James this morning. I think it'll be tight between LD/Tories. A similar ward was won by the Lib Dems in the county elections last year, and it's the same candidate, so there's something of an incumbency factor. Labour don't seem to have been very active.

Which party ?

Conservative ?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Pulpstar said:

tpfkar said:

Which party ?

Conservative ?
    Lib Dem. Although I only joined after Rik W did try to get me to join the Tories, and nearly succeeded. What might have been...

thanks @smarmeron
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

Smarmy

We are going to have to compile a list of media outlets which are dangerous for you to visit. First the BBC and now The Guardian.

No money has gorn missin', not even £1.9 billion.

The anomaly picked up by the NAO is that the baseline set in 2010, against which HMRC have measured their subsequent above target performance, was inaccurate.

Say you, or your mentor, decided that you were for the high jump. And that either or both of you had ambition to beat the world record of 2.45 metres.

If you then jumped over a bar set at 46 centimeters and measured ground level at -2 metres you could make a claim, using HMRC's methods, to be the new world record holder.

I find it surprising that it is a Tory who has to explain to a Leftie how to manipulate the target system. Have you never worked in Labour's NHS?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @AveryLP
    You mean like Osborne crowing over tax receipts that were in fact less?
    I see your point now, thanks Limp Pole.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP
    You mean like Osborne crowing over tax receipts that were in fact less?
    I see your point now, thanks Limp Pole.

NO, Smarmy!

The tax receipts were accurately measured.

It was the baseline for the target that was false!

When corrected HMRC's achievement remained over target but by a smaller margin.

In other words, their performance was good rather than, as claimed, excellent.

I can assure you that St. George knows the difference between merely good and truly excellent performance.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,479
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour now just one point ahead: CON 35%, LAB 36%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,631
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 41s
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour now just one point ahead: CON 35%, LAB 36%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    @AveryLP

Since you are such a fan of the NHS, watch Andy Burnham being eviscerated by Dan Poulter in the same way Cam filleted Ed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28145556
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    That's it Labours had it!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,905
    Tonights YG LAB 329 CON 279 LD 16 Others 26 (UKPR)

Ed is crap is PM Ed is crap is PM in every June/July poll 10 months and 3 days to go
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    tpfkar said:

Welcome back and Congratulations
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

• Options

Tonights YG LAB 329 CON 279 LD 16 Others 26 (UKPR)

Ed is crap is PM Ed is crap is PM in every June/July poll 10 months and 3 days to go

Tick-Tock. Tick-Tock. Tick-Tock.

• Options
    Private rail firms to face franchise fight with state under Labour plan

Plan for competitive bids drawn up, ruling out proposals that expired franchises be returned automatically to the public sector

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/03/rail-network-franchises-labour-plan
  • Options
    You know Labour are in trouble, when their supporters spin that a 1% lead is great news.
  • Options

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics

Has YouGov started to use Survation's methodology?

• Options
    Burnham: Lack of clear position on Europe and immigration becoming a huge hurdle for Labour: bit.ly/1t2VfH2

Oh dear not sure if this is manoeuvres or just attempting and failing to be helpful.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited July 2014
    YouGov average Lab lead for the last 10 weeks (oldest first):

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros
    2.5 = This week (one poll to come)

After a brief dip at the time of the Budget, the lead was steady between 4% and 5% before dipping again at the time of the Euros down to 2%. It then recovered to just above 4% until this week - when it is back down to 2.5% (with one poll to come).
  • Options
    @ToryJim
    Burnham needs a little more time before he could win, but he probably still has decent prospects.
  • Options
    What is it with female journos and wankbait nowadays???-

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak · 3m
    And what could we do on the 50th anniversary of the Watershed?... ideas please for the end of the show #newsnight...

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@ToryJim
    Burnham needs a little more time before he could win, but he probably still has decent prospects.

Smarmy.

Can you tell me who is Andy Burnham's target?

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@ToryJim

I think he at least seems human. I just think the problem is that he also appears lightweight.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    GIN1138 said:

Looking like another keeper, this thread.
  • Options
    @ToryJim
    More time will help, he seems to be improving since the leadership election. I would have voted for him if I could have, except for the problem you mention.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Thanks to Harry for this information.There's quite a patchwork tonight.Local election results provide a good guide.Real votes count for more than polling from any organisation.You can't beat them.
  • Options
    I'll say it again, this is another recent poll that shows from the last election, the Tories only 1% down and UKIP up 9%.

I find that astonishing, and something I find very hard to reconcile.
  • Options
    @volcanopete

I am not sure you can use local elections as a true guide. Lower turnout, and local factors can often sway the results in unexpected directions.
  • Options
    Sherlock Holmes sent to 'encourage change' in North Korea

Sherlock Holmes – or, at least, Benedict Cumberbatch – has been dispatched to unravel the mystery that is North Korea

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/10944302/Sherlock-Holmes-sent-to-encourage-change-in-North-Korea.html
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2014
    MikeK said:

Hi all,my computer crashed yesterday and I' m having to use my nearly four yars old iPad; what a bore.Didn'tmiss much, seamingly.

Here's some unsolicited & irrelevant info:
    This PC is going on 13 yrs old. True, I did have to replace the fan in the power supply, and I upgraded the (working) hard disc from 40 gigs to 120 gigs, but it's still usuable for most things. Transtec. German. You get what you pay for it seems.
  • Options
    Toms said:

MikeK said:

This PC is going on 13 yrs old. True, I did have to replace the fan in the power supply, and I upgraded the (working) hard disc from 40 gigs to 120 gigs, but it's still usuable for most things. Transtec. German. You get what you pay for it seems.
    That post reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE
  • Options
    MikeL said:

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros

After a brief dip at the time of the Budget, the lead was steady between 4% and 5% before dipping again at the time of the Euros down to 2%. It then recovered to just above 4% until this week - when it is back down to 2.5% (with one poll to come).

Well Labour for the last 3 months have been on 37% April 36% May 37% June

First 3 polls of July have them plummeting to 37%.

UKIP collapse seems to be seeing Tories up from their 3 month average of 33/33/33 to 34.33% in the first 3 polls of July.

PB Tories are very excitable aren't they

Look out for premature crossejaculationover.

Does not satisfy anyone
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

GIN1138 said:

Boba, do you think Ed The Red's sealed the deal? ;)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470
    edited July 2014

Toms said:

MikeK said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUl6PooveJE
    "Alright, Dave?"
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I'm turning into Uncle Albert with this beard that I'm growing.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2014
    Just seen Burnham on ITV News. He is covered by the category" I don't believe a word this man is saying"

Hopeless as A Shadow. (apart from the eye shadow)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    ToryJim said:

Burnham: Lack of clear position on Europe and immigration becoming a huge hurdle for Labour: bit.ly/1t2VfH2

Oh dear not sure if this is manoeuvres or just attempting and failing to be helpful.

I thought Ed was very clear on Europe. It's all just so lovely.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679257/Offering-public-referendum-Europe-silly-says-Ed-Balls-Labours-biggest-union-backer-demands-vote.html

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

BobaFett said:

GIN1138 said:

I still think he is favourite to be PM.

The Tories need to take vote share from Labour not UKIP to be biggest party and need Labour at less than 30% to have a chance of governing alone. I dont see that happening do you?
  • Options
    @tse
    I'm still chuckling. Mysteriously, that one reminds me of the two Ronnies "fork handle" skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    TSE with a beard? Picture, please. Picture or we don't believe you.
  • Options
    Off up the dancers and away until Sunday when i will backdate any UKPRs if i miss any
  • Options
    edited July 2014

GIN1138 said:

BobaFett said:

GIN1138 said:

The Tories need to take vote share from Labour not UKIP to be biggest party and need Labour at less than 30% to have a chance of governing alone. I dont see that happening do you?
    All I know is that Ed Milliband can't seal to deal.

I mean, Ed's reduced to complete loons like Oborne and Hitchens standing up for him. Somethings wrong somewhere.

We'll see what happens, but it looks like it's Game On for #TeamBlue to me
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2014
    UKPR polling average has been updated:

Lab 35%
    Con 32%
    UKIP 14%
    LD 8%
    Green 5%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/uk-polling-report-average-2
  • Options
    Toms said:

@tse
    I'm still chuckling. Mysteriously, that one reminds me of the two Ronnies "fork handle" skit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo

My favourite two Ronnies sketch is the mastermind one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0C59pI_ypQ
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    AndyJS said:

Interesting to see the Labour lead slowly evaporating with YouGov.

I think Dr Fishers projection may look a little better tomorrow?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

(when I say, a beard, I mean I haven't shaved since last Friday)
  • Options

MikeL said:

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros

No. The people who get over-excited about these polls are you and your fellow wannabe comedian with the goalposts "joke". No sensible Tory gives much of a toss about the polling at this stage. We just think "ed. Sheffield."

"We'd better get some talking done here, serious talking".
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeL said:

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros

No. The people who get over-excited about these polls are you and your fellow wannabe comedian with the goalposts "joke". No sensible Tory gives much of a toss about the polling at this stage. We just think "ed. Sheffield."

"We're allllllrrriiiigggghhhttttt...."

• Options
    Can I crowd source PB for a moment. I'm trying to write a thread, and the scenario is this.

Next year, The Tories win the popular vote, but Ed gets a majority.

What are the implications if a plurality in England voted Tory?
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    Next thing we know, you'll be joining ISIS!

:)
  • Options
    @tse
    Surely one of life's mysteries is how they do that without cracking up.
  • Options

Can I crowd source PB for a moment. I'm trying to write a thread, and the scenario is this.

Are you factoring a No or Yes in the Indyref?
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"

Well someone pointed out to me, my plans for a Directly Elected Dictator are a lot like Isis' plans for a Caliph in their Caliphate.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

That's is not growing a beard that is just idleness, unless you have a chit from the doctor of course.

Maybe we could have a PB beard growing month.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ishmael_X said:

MikeL said:

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros

"We're allllllrrriiiigggghhhttttt...."

Here:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    The Conservatives scream about unfair voting, and demand PR?
    (note, this is definitely not a betting post)
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"

Well someone pointed out to me, my plans for a Directly Elected Dictator are a lot like Isis' plans for a Caliph in their Caliphate.
    Will they try invade the US and set up a Caliphornia?
  • Options

Well disregarding the fact that I suspect that such a scenario would be all but impossible to contrive, I think there wouldn't be much implication. There would probably be a little silliness at the fringes but I think most would ultimately shrug their shoulders and move on.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

GIN1138 said:

BobaFett said:

GIN1138 said:

The Tories are running out of road, hence the hysteria when you get a couple of close polls. It's been exactly the same for the past two years. Most sensible Tories and Labourites let it wash over them. We'll see where we all are after Conference season. Labour in the box seat but all to play for.
  • Options

Rather limited I think. It would get trotted out at pmqs on and off but I think the the standard reaction would be: the rules is the rules, and the rules is fptp.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    ToryJim said:

Burnham: Lack of clear position on Europe and immigration becoming a huge hurdle for Labour

An odd thing for a Shadow Cabinet minister to say.

I mean, why pick on Europe and immigration particularly? It's not as though Labour's position on any other question is clear.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    And Basil is still on maneuvers, Labour is still in front and the clock is ticking.

And here is me thinking tomorrow the shares in PB tissues would rocket.....bah!
  • Options

IMHO that's very unlikely to happen. A more likely scenario is the Tories winning the popular vote and Ed becoming PM in coalition with the LDs (lead by Vince Cable or Tim Farron).
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    TSE
    Tory UKIP wars.

You cost us the election. Ha ha what lib dem mps!
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

That's is not growing a beard that is just idleness, unless you have a chit from the doctor of course.

We could coincide it with Movember.
  • Options
    @Ishmael_X

"the rules is the rules, and the rules is fptp."

F8ck People! Trust Politicians, or is that something else?
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"

I did not think that the Caliph is elected, directly or otherwise. I think the Caliph is appointed by that grand old tradition of force of arms then beheading ones captured enemies. Followed by gruesome civil war lasting hundreds of years.

• Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

No it should be Decembeard....

I'll fetch me coat.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ToryJim said:

Well disregarding the fact that I suspect that such a scenario would be all but impossible to contrive, I think there wouldn't be much implication. There would probably be a little silliness at the fringes but I think most would ultimately shrug their shoulders and move on.
    Con 33.1, Lab 33, LD 10, UKIP 18 puts Labour just short by 7, allowing for a bit of performance outdoing UNS, then it is possible.

• Options
    @foxinsoxuk
    On the plus side? it gives future historians something to do?
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

The rules of Movember specifically exclude the tasche joining up with other facial hair.

May I commend "Decembeard"...
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

ToryJim said:

Burnham: Lack of clear position on Europe and immigration becoming a huge hurdle for Labour

An odd thing for a Shadow Cabinet minister to say.

I mean, why pick on Europe and immigration particularly? It's not as though Labour's position on any other question is clear.
    True, but you know where they roughly stand philosophically on other areas.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007

ToryJim said:

Con 33.1, Lab 33, LD 10, UKIP 18 puts Labour just sort by 7, allowing for a bit of performance outdoing UNS, then it is possible.

We enjoy the cocktails before watching Ed Miliband's administration collapse before our eyes ?
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk

Plagarism! ToryJim has the copyright.
  • Options
    Ross Hawkins ‏@rosschawkins 1m

Safe Tory seat for London (deputy) Mayor - a precedent? MT @RicHolden: Kit Malthouse selected for North West Hampshire this evening
  • Options

Depends on whether Scotland votes to remain in the Union or not, surely?

I'd guess some Tories will be very noisy in outrage, but with their leadership being torn apart for losing and that most of them would have rejected any attempt to alter the electoral system which resulted in such an outcome, will prevent any consistent reaction. Suddenly the big issue will not be Europe, but an English Parliament (or at least some kind of actual answer to the West Lothian Question). Someone will suggest perhaps the question of electoral reform could come up again, but Labour will be less keen now.

Labour will not react at all - they scraped a win, who cares if they didn't win most votes or have the largest proportion of seats in England, once people see what is good for them that will change eventually, they will assume. Parts of the party will grumble about losing support in England, but with only a slim majority, they won't risk messing with the base that won them that slim majority, and any suggestions to increase English support will be marginal - focusing on the cities and north worked, if only just, no point in risking that for the unknown.

If they haven't already (I do not know), UKIP will make championing a FederalUK their key domestic issue. Even if other parties have already raised it, they will be more successful at it given their rising strength in England.

The Greens may say something, but no-one will notice.

In general, a lot of political wonks will get heated in the first few months, but this just rallies the Labour party behind a PM who would otherwise have been more at the mercy of his backbenchers, as they do not want to risk toppling their own government so soon. There will be a commission or something set up to present some recommendations, which will take 2 years and propose something absurd, ensuring the pro-change side are split, and by that time people will have gotten used to the situation.
  • Options

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"

Will they try invade the US and set up a Caliphornia?
    I'm more into Californication (The Chili Peppers album and the TV show)
  • Options
    What do ISIS use to measure internal diameters of their weaponry?

Caliph-ers
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'd guess some Tories will be very noisy in outrage, but with their leadership being torn apart for losing and that most of them would have rejected any attempt to alter the electoral system which resulted in such an outcome, will prevent any consistent reaction. Suddenly the big issue will not be Europe, but an English Parliament (or at least some kind of actual answer to the West Lothian Question). Someone will suggest perhaps the question of electoral reform could come up again, but Labour will be less keen now.

Labour will not react at all - they scraped a win, who cares if they didn't win most votes or have the largest proportion of seats in England, once people see what is good for them that will change eventually, they will assume. Parts of the party will grumble about losing support in England, but with only a slim majority, they won't risk messing with the base that won them that slim majority, and any suggestions to increase English support will be marginal - focusing on the cities and north worked, if only just, no point in risking that for the unknown.

If they haven't already (I do not know), UKIP will make championing a FederalUK their key domestic issue. Even if other parties have already raised it, they will be more successful at it given their rising strength in England.

In general, a lot of political wonks will get heated in the first few months, but this just rallies the Labour party behind a PM who would otherwise have been more at the mercy of his backbenchers, as they do not want to risk toppling their own government so soon. There will be a commission or something set up to present some recommendations, which will take 2 years and propose something absurd, ensuring the pro-change side are split, and by that time people will have gotten used to the situation.
    Thanks, in my scenarios, it happens regardless of the outcome of the North Britain plebiscite.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    The Conservatives scream about unfair voting, and demand PR?
    (note, this is definitely not a betting post)

For pure entertainment value, I would very much like to see that.

Toms said:

MikeK said:

"Alright, Dave?"
    I have a face for radio.

That's is not growing a beard that is just idleness

That depends on how quickly one grows a beard I suppose. To my eternal shame I went 6 whole weeks without shaving and still had nothing but patchy looking fluff all over my face. People assumed I was an adolescent trying to grow an unconvincing beard to look older. I was 25.

• Options

kle4 said:

Thanks, in my scenarios, it happens regardless of the outcome of the North Britain plebiscite.
    In the event of a Yes vote, expect the wailing from the Tories to last an additional 6 months.
  • Options
    Useless fact: Bernard Jenkin's father, Patrick, succeeded Winston Churchill as MP for Woodford / Wanstead&Woodford in 1964.
This discussion has been closed.