Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cameron-EU stand-off over Jean-Claude Juncker: If the P

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cameron-EU stand-off over Jean-Claude Juncker: If the PM wins it would be a major coup

Each of the main party groups in Brussels went through a process of selecting a candidate and in the run up to polling day there was a series of TV debates. In a number of member states there was extensive polling.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    I don't think the drinking thing helps Cameron. To everyone else it just looks like the UK press playing games. The people making the decision have been working with this guy for years. If they thought he'd had a disqualifying drinking problem the EPP wouldn't have made him the nominee.

This is the kind of thing that actually firmed up Juncker's position: The heads of government were a bit meh about letting the voters influence the decision and would have quite liked to pick somebody else if they thought they'd get away with it, but Cameron and the British press forced everyone to back him more affirmitively than they might have liked.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

"Obama asks Congress to approve $500 million for rebels in Syria":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28042309
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited June 2014
    "...in most other EU countries the recent European Parliament elections were presented as being about choosing the EU president as well as MEPs."

They weren't seen that way by the voters.

"An AECR/AMR poll conducted in the immediate aftermath of the European elections has found that only 8.2 per cent of EU nationals could name Jean Claude Juncker, the European People’s Party’s candidate for the Commission presidency. Only 13.6 per cent of those surveyed could name any of the candidates standing for the position of European Commission president. Only 8.8 per cent could name any of the European political parties now claiming their ballots as mandates."

http://www.aecr.eu/new-aecramr-poll-destroys-jean-claude-junckers-mandate/
  • Options

"...in most other EU countries the recent European Parliament elections were presented as being about choosing the EU president as well as MEPs."

"An AECR/AMR poll conducted in the immediate aftermath of the European elections has found that only 8.2 per cent of EU nationals could name Jean Claude Juncker, the European People’s Party’s candidate for the Commission presidency. Only 13.6 per cent of those surveyed could name any of the candidates standing for the position of European Commission president. Only 8.8 per cent could name any of the European political parties now claiming their ballots as mandates."

The same (exceedingly sketchy, agenda-driven) poll says 20% of voters watched the debates, which seems like quite a respectable number for the first time around, with no primaries except the Greens, and a bit of vagueness about whether the member states would really pick the winner.

Anyhow the political problem for the member states who participated in the nomination is that even if the voters don't know exacty what you promised, they're still going to be narked off when they find that you broke the promise. Manifestos are similar: If you quizzed the voters on what was in each party's manifesto they wouldn't score very highly, but the voters are still within their rights to expect the winning party to at least try to deliver it.

Apparently Merkel initially thought people cared little enough about this process to scam them on it, but it's to the credit of the German press that they didn't let her get away with it. Obviously this had the unfortunate consequence that Cameron, who had tried to turn her shenanigans into a great diplomatic victory, ended up left high and dry, stuck defending a stand that he wouldn't have taken if he'd suspected the trick would fail. Maybe he should have asked John Major to make sure the playbook was still up-to-date before he started pulling moves out of it...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The same (exceedingly sketchy, agenda-driven) poll says 20% of voters watched the debates, which seems like quite a respectable number for the first time around, with no primaries except the Greens, and a bit of vagueness about whether the member states would really pick the winner.

Anyhow the political problem for the member states who participated in the nomination is that even if the voters don't know exacty what you promised, they're still going to be narked off when they find that you broke the promise. Manifestos are similar: If you quizzed the voters on what was in each party's manifesto they wouldn't score very highly, but the voters are still within their rights to expect the winning party to at least try to deliver it.

Apparently Merkel initially thought people cared little enough about this process to scam them on it, but it's to the credit of the German press that they didn't let her get away with it. Obviously this had the unfortunate consequence that Cameron, who had tried to turn her shenanigans into a great diplomatic victory, ended up left high and dry, stuck defending a stand that he wouldn't have taken if he'd suspected the trick would fail. Maybe he should have asked John Major to make sure the playbook was still up-to-date before he started pulling moves out of it...
    Doesn't really matter.

It's become increasingly clear that the European Establishment doiesnt give a flying f**k about what Britain thinks (witness the FTT, Juncker etc). They wouldn't care if it is Cameron vetoing and they wouldn't care if it was Ed Miliband bending over the table. I'm struggling to name anything that we really care about that we have got our way on for over 20 years.

That's fine: they are entitled to this position. But then we have a very clear decision as a country whether the relationship works for us.

And I'm increasingly coming to the view that, without fundamental reform, it doesn't.
  • Options
    On the domestic fallout, if I was Cameron I'd amend that referendum bill to bring the vote forward. He needs to do something to avoid looking like a tit after threatening "consequences", and the amendment will defang the Parliament Act and allow the Lords to kill it so there will be no risk of the pesky thing actually passing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Doesn't really matter.

It's become increasingly clear that the European Establishment doiesnt give a flying f**k about what Britain thinks (witness the FTT, Juncker etc). They wouldn't care if it is Cameron vetoing and they wouldn't care if it was Ed Miliband bending over the table. I'm struggling to name anything that we really care about that we have got our way on for over 20 years.

That's fine: they are entitled to this position. But then we have a very clear decision as a country whether the relationship works for us.

And I'm increasingly coming to the view that, without fundamental reform, it doesn't.
    Sure they give a flying f**k, possibly several, but it's only one of 28 so they can't have everything, and as in the UK, domestic politics will usually trump international relations, especially when the person you're supposed to be taking a hit to help seems to be going out of his way to be unhelpful to you.
  • Options

Sure they give a flying f**k, possibly several, but it's only one of 28 so they can't have everything, and as in the UK, domestic politics will usually trump international relations, especially when the person you're supposed to be taking a hit to help seems to be going out of his way to be unhelpful to you.

Nah, I think they are misreading things. It's been a long time since we have had an EU that seems to be working for us. Antifrank put it best yesterday - they are driving the UK towards the exit & I don't think they even realise
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (Three threads ago)
    Pulpstar said:

If UKIP break 6% at the next election I'll streak naked down Whitehall in a Nigel Farage mask whilst singing Land of Hope and Glory...

Will John Loony be joining Mr Hodges ?

That all depends on who "Mr Hodges" is, and what you mean by "join". If "Mr Hodges" is a pseudonym for Daniel Radcliffe or Iván García or Gareth Bale or Peter Phillips or Prince Harry or Prince Louis or Jamie Bell or Alex Pettyfer or Skandar Keynes or Shaun Smith or Dane DeHaan or Ben Hardy, and "join" means horizontal cuddling, then yes I might. But what the connection is between that and Whitehall or Nigel Farage is, I don't know.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Losing it, and not just the referendum...
    British spies may have orchestrated the abusive messages sent to JK Rowling after she spoke out against independence, a leading SNP politician has claimed.

Christina McKelvie said the torrent of online attacks aimed at the Harry Potter author could have been the work of "secret service plants".

Ms McKelvie discussed MI5 involvement while saying there was no link between the vicious messages and the campaign fighting for Scottish independence.

The bizarre intervention follows outcry over the online reaction Rowling recently received after donating £1 million to Better Together, the pro-UK campaign.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10929129/British-spies-may-have-sent-online-abuse-to-JK-Rowling-SNP-politician-warns.html
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Mr Loony, have you ever been connected with CURLS?

Who the fuff or what the fuff is or was or are or were "CURLS"?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,015

On the domestic fallout, if I was Cameron I'd amend that referendum bill to bring the vote forward. He needs to do something to avoid looking like a tit after threatening "consequences", and the amendment will defang the Parliament Act and allow the Lords to kill it so there will be no risk of the pesky thing actually passing.

Erm, doesn't Cameron want that bill to pass? Given this is the last chance for the election I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sacrifice it so easily, for what would be a very obvious ploy.
  • Options
    Seems like the press here are going right for Junker, I thought it was a bit of a smear when I read this in the Mail a day or so ago, but then it was on daily politics and now this.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RobD said:

Erm, doesn't Cameron want that bill to pass? Given this is the last chance for the election I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sacrifice it so easily, for what would be a very obvious ploy.
    No, he doesn't want it to pass. I'm speculating, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. It would constrain his freedom of movement if he wins the election, because if he then changes his mind about the content or timing it'll be a PITA to repeal. If he still wants to have the referendum as currently conceived, which is probable but not certain, it'll be no problem passing the legislation at the time.

However, he does want to _look_ like he wants it to pass, because it's popular. His ideal scenario is that it doesn't pass because Labour and the LibDems take an open vote against it. The next-best is that they quietly squish it in the Lords.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I'm struggling to name anything that we really care about that we have got our way on for over 20 years.

Enlargement. This was a key British priority. Admittedly after getting what they wanted the British seem to have changed their minds about it recently, but it's not the other member states' fault if the British are a bunch of indecisive faff-arses.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Journalists going after someone for drinking too much always has an odd ring about it. ;-)
  • Options

RobD said:

No, he doesn't want it to pass. I'm speculating, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. It would constrain his freedom of movement if he wins the election, because if he then changes his mind about the content or timing it'll be a PITA to repeal. If he still wants to have the referendum as currently conceived, which is probable but not certain, it'll be no problem passing the legislation at the time.

However, he does want to _look_ like he wants it to pass, because it's popular. His ideal scenario is that it doesn't pass because Labour and the LibDems take an open vote against it. The next-best is that they quietly squish it in the Lords.
    But jurnos would be all over it saying that he was attaching a wrecking amendment to the bill to ensure it doesn't pass...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited June 2014
    I don't see the problem. Cameron has opposed the appointment of Juncker and has been outvoted. Have we really reached the position where our leaders can only fight if they're guaranteed to win?

It's been useful in that it drives home the point that, as a single member in a club of 28 with QMV, the UK has, is, and will be unable to defend what it perceives as its national interest.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

But jurnos would be all over it saying that he was attaching a wrecking amendment to the bill to ensure it doesn't pass...
    Not sure maybe you're right but I reckon they'd buy the That'll Show Johnny Foreigner narrative.
  • Options

Charles said:

I'm struggling to name anything that we really care about that we have got our way on for over 20 years.

Enlargement. This was a key British priority. Admittedly after getting what they wanted the British seem to have changed their minds about it recently, but it's not the other member states' fault if the British are a bunch of indecisive faff-arses.
    Those decisions were made in the mid 90s.

• Options
    The Euro skeptics are much the same as the SNP is for Scotland, which is odd as a great number of them think Scotland should remain as part of the UK.
    I lost the desire to care much about either years ago.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

The Euro skeptics are much the same as the SNP is for Scotland, which is odd as a great number of them think Scotland should remain as part of the UK.
    I lost the desire to care much about either years ago.

Not at all odd: they believe that decisions should be taken at the level of the demos.

They believe that demos is the UK - but, of course, the Scots are at liberty to disagree if they want
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alex Salmond’s claims about the cost of creating an independent Scotland are in disarray after an academic he has repeatedly quoted said the final bill could reach £1.5 billion.

Professor Patrick Dunleavy, of the London School of Economics (LSE), said Scottish voters could be “relatively sure” that moving to full independence would cost between £600 million and £1.5 billion over a decade.

The First Minister has repeatedly refused to publish his own figures for the cost of setting up a separate Scotland, instead relying on a previous estimate of £200 million produced by Prof Dunleavy.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10929080/Alex-Salmond-in-disarray-over-independent-Scotlands-costs.html
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @Charles
    You may be right, but the arguments are the same. "Your lives are miserable and you are being held back by < insert your pet hate here>. I am whole heartedly sick of listening to groups and individuals being demonized because Britain is becoming an irrelevance to the rest of the world.
    Britain had an empire, it lost it, deal with the fact and stop blaming everyone else.

(Same for the SNP)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,798
    Domestically I don't see much downside for Cameron - if he wins it's a triumph, if he loses it's "those Euro bustards have got it in for us". Given Labour's record on EU negotiations they will be on pretty thin ice if they complain. As AntiFrank observed yesterday, either intentionally or not, the EU is pushing us towards the exit - maybe they have decided they can't have "the elephant in the boat".. ...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It's an ongoing process. Croatia only just joined.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Either way it makes not a jot of difference to the vast majority of the great British public who didn't give a hoot for Juncker during the EU elections let alone now or more importantly during the coming general election.

Clearly to those in the Westminster bubble and Euro obsessives of both wings this issue is of the moment to them. To the other 99.95% of the population it's more yawn filling than the latest pronouncement of David Icke and the Lizard people.
  • Options
    John_M said:

I don't see the problem. Cameron has opposed the appointment of Juncker and has been outvoted. Have we really reached the position where our leaders can only fight if they're guaranteed to win?

That's how it should have worked out. The difficulty is that due to an unfortunate sequence of Thick-Of-It-like political games and reversals, Cameron has ended up making a bunch of vague threats, and will now risk looks like a chump if he doesn't somehow up the ante.

Maybe he can just go home and say he fought the good fight and everyone will leave it at that, but you know what his base is like when it comes to EU stuff...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Off topic.
    With the spotlight on Suarez, the more important, shining of a laser into the Russian keepers eyes could potentially become an issue if enough people have the same idea.
    I am not sure how much of an effect it had on the goal, but it could be bad news for some betting slips?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles
    You may be right, but the arguments are the same. "Your lives are miserable and you are being held back by < insert your pet hate here>. I am whole heartedly sick of listening to groups and individuals being demonized because Britain is becoming an irrelevance to the rest of the world.
    Britain had an empire, it lost it, deal with the fact and stop blaming everyone else.

(Same for the SNP)

I've never heard any Eurosceptic bring up the empire in any modern political context*. The Eurosceptics I know are modern, tolerant, liberally minded and outward looking. They see the world as their playground, and while they greatly appreciate what Europe has to offer they don't see that as a reason to be sublimated into a different political construct.

* I hang out with a lot of historically curious people so it can be a general topic of conversation
  • Options
    Charles said:

Very much a tail end Charlie.

It's also not the date of accession, but when the Treaty was agreed that matters
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,420
    It does show our alienation and drifting away from the EU that the group that "won" the Euro elections only had a candidate in one of the British seats. The truth is practically no one in the UK voted for Junker. The EPP candidate in London got 28,014 votes. There were no debates in the UK suggesting these elections had anything to do with the Commission Presidency.

This is because we of course use these elections as an opportunity to kick the government of the day and have a laugh by electing non serious politicians like UKIP. We simply don't play or frankly even understand the game.

Article 17.7 of the consolidated treaty says this:

"Taking into account the elections to the European Parliament and after having held the appropriate consultations, the European Council, acting by a qualified majority, shall propose to the European Parliament a candidate for President of the Commission. This candidate shall be elected by the European Parliament by a majority of its component members. If he does not obtain the required majority, the European Council, acting by a qualified majority, shall within one month propose a new candidate who shall be elected by the European Parliament following the same procedure."

The provision is a classic EU fudge but I think it is clear(ish) that the European Council is not obliged to accept the nominated person of the largest grouping in the Parliament. On the other hand if they don't choose that person the EU Parliament is not obliged to accept their nominee either.

Cameron is entitled to his vote but it is QMV and he can and probably will be outvoted. It is very difficult to see how anyone else is now going to get the vote required from the Parliament. If the tories had still been in the EPP their views would have carried more weight, not least with Merkel. But the tories had good reasons to withdraw from what is a federal grouping and I think the vast majority of UK citizens who had any view or interest would agree with their reasoning.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AndyJS said:

Andy Murray interviewed by a dog:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4xQfe41OrQ

Sue Bark-er ?!?

I'll get my lead ....
  • Options
    @Charles

Economic and social reasons are fair enough, My point is the politicians are vague on those, but big on "posturing".
    This means they reckon playing the "national card" is advantageous, I find it grotesque and annoying.
    (your own mileage may vary)
  • Options
    Fraser Nelson:

Perhaps to his own surprise, Cameron has proved a lot better at principle than he is at fudge. His position is strong and simple: he wants a reformed Europe, and wants that Europe to make its best offer direct to the British public. The result is something the Tories have not had for a generation: a European policy that is clear, effective and popular – and might actually work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10928211/David-Cameron-is-the-only-leader-with-the-courage-to-take-on-Europe.html
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,386
    As yes the Cameron "veto". What specifically did he "veto" and what happened next?

(I'll give you a clue, the answers are "nothing" and " what he supposedly vetoed")
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

Breaking news: Fraser Nelson thinks Tories are wonderful.
  • Options
    @RochdalePioneers

Didn't he veto the use of a building or something?
    I am sure it wasn't British sausages. the Sun won that one?
  • Options

As yes the Cameron "veto". What specifically did he "veto" and what happened next?

(I'll give you a clue, the answers are "nothing" and " what he supposedly vetoed")

It's very clear: he vetoed the Eurozone bailouts being put through using the EU mechanics.

That means that the UK is not on the hook for any of the associated liabilities (we helped in Ireland vountarily because they are an important trading partner and because RBS would have been in masses of trouble if Ulster Bank had gone down in flames).

That's actually a big deal, but it doesn't suit your political prejudices so you just ignore it.
  • Options

Fraser Nelson:

Perhaps to his own surprise, Cameron has proved a lot better at principle than he is at fudge. His position is strong and simple: he wants a reformed Europe, and wants that Europe to make its best offer direct to the British public. The result is something the Tories have not had for a generation: a European policy that is clear, effective and popular – and might actually work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10928211/David-Cameron-is-the-only-leader-with-the-courage-to-take-on-Europe.html

Much though I am sympathetic to the aims I think this is complete fantasy. If you are in a club and want rule changes you do not "take on" all the other members of the club. If you keep doing so you generally end up being excluded for being a pain.

What you need to do is try to reason and explain why your version of the future is the one that works and build a consensus towards it. Such an approach is inconsistent with "taking on" anyone because once you adopt this approach your motives are suspect.

Taking Juncker as an example has the British Government position made it more or less likely that this consensus will be achieved? I would say less, much less.

This is because the consensus on the continent, at least among the political classes, is that a more integrated EU is the way to go and their desperate fight to hold onto their currency in the last 5 years has added impetus to that rather than diminished it.

The Euro cannot survive as an effective currency without a more integrated economy for the Member States and they are focussed on achieving that. We, as non members, are heading in the opposite direction. Our vision of a less integrated Europe simply does not compute for EZ members. They have seen the consequences of inadequate institutions and a failure to integrate policy and they have been horrendous.

I do not see at the moment how these 2 visions can be integrated within the same club. When the UK decided that we did not want the Euro we really were starting a long walk to the door. We just did not seem to realise it.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A good Spartan If there.
  • Options
    The thing is, "the sausage scandal" was actually worth looking into.
    It seems that those mad foreign chappies had this idea that a "sausage should contain at least 75% pure meat. We British know that sausages only need about 5% meat, the rest being made up of rusk, "recovered meat" and fat.
    You can sense their confusion on learning this?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

It's also not the date of accession, but when the Treaty was agreed that matters

Signed 2011, ratified 2013.
  • Options
    @Charles

We helped Ireland because several of our banks had liabilities there that could put them in an even deeper hole.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jack W is right, no one gives a monkeys toss about the EU save to loathe it. Well anyone sensible that is. We are in it, I doubt we will ever exit. Does it matter, not really as it makes little difference either way. Its just another lot of smug politician feeding from the gravy train.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@CarlottaVance

Breaking news: Fraser Nelson thinks Tories are wonderful.

You are clearly unfamiliar with his work, where criticism of Cameron is not unknown......
  • Options
    Enlargement continues. Albania will be granted candidate status today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

Much though I am sympathetic to the aims I think this is complete fantasy. If you are in a club and want rule changes you do not "take on" all the other members of the club. If you keep doing so you generally end up being excluded for being a pain.
    It seemed to work for the blessed Margaret, who when asked what it felt like to be "on her own among the twelve?" famously observed that "it didn't matter if the other 11 are wrong".....
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

I am familiar with his work, and the subtle changes that come on columnists as election time approaches.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    There are a number of other countries outside the euro and intending to stay out, so if this was a deciding factor we did not need to isolate ourselves.

The simple fact is that Juncker is the choice of the largest party in the European parliament, and supported by most governments. We have been fairly outvoted.

We sent a bunch of clowns as MEPs on May 22nd. We should not be surprised by being laughed at followed by a custard pie in the face.

DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

What you need to do is try to reason and explain why your version of the future is the one that works and build a consensus towards it. Such an approach is inconsistent with "taking on" anyone because once you adopt this approach your motives are suspect.

Taking Juncker as an example has the British Government position made it more or less likely that this consensus will be achieved? I would say less, much less.

This is because the consensus on the continent, at least among the political classes, is that a more integrated EU is the way to go and their desperate fight to hold onto their currency in the last 5 years has added impetus to that rather than diminished it.

The Euro cannot survive as an effective currency without a more integrated economy for the Member States and they are focussed on achieving that. We, as non members, are heading in the opposite direction. Our vision of a less integrated Europe simply does not compute for EZ members. They have seen the consequences of inadequate institutions and a failure to integrate policy and they have been horrendous.

I do not see at the moment how these 2 visions can be integrated within the same club. When the UK decided that we did not want the Euro we really were starting a long walk to the door. We just did not seem to realise it.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Signed 2011, ratified 2013.

As I said, a tail end Charlie.

Championed by Germany, not the UK. The UK was the driving force behind the earlier wave - Poland, Czech, Romania etc. We didn't get Turkey, which we wanted, but Germany got Croatia.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles

We helped Ireland because several of our banks had liabilities there that could put them in an even deeper hole.

Ulster bank (RBS) being the main one, but there were others (Lloyds in particular, from memory)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @CarlottaVance

"Europe" means something different in Britain that it does in the remainder.
    Here it is a political tool for the politicians to play with, as a result, no one really knows much about it other than screaming headlines.
  • Options
    I thought this bit of Nelson's analysis telling:

Britain hasn’t really had a foreign secretary under William Hague, and it could do with one. The incumbent is entirely absent from this debate (and most others). Indeed, he is proving the most disappointing Foreign Secretary in a generation, having refused to find the “on” switch for his undoubtedly brilliant mind. Posing with Angelina Jolie is, at present, the high point of his time in office. His colleagues believe this speaks to his wider ambition: to shuffle off the political stage and settle down on the American lecture circuit.

While not a disaster like Mili Major, he clearly has not remotely put his back into it. "didn't cock it up" will be the best that could be said of him......
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

Last post should have been for @foxinsoxuk.
    You must have got stuck to my clipboard, sorry.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Britain hasn’t really had a foreign secretary under William Hague, and it could do with one. The incumbent is entirely absent from this debate (and most others). Indeed, he is proving the most disappointing Foreign Secretary in a generation, having refused to find the “on” switch for his undoubtedly brilliant mind. Posing with Angelina Jolie is, at present, the high point of his time in office. His colleagues believe this speaks to his wider ambition: to shuffle off the political stage and settle down on the American lecture circuit.

While not a disaster like Mili Major, he clearly has not remotely put his back into it. "didn't cock it up" will be the best that could be said of him......

I think Hague is now a broken reed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

These two visions are incompatible. Added to this, the European elite view nation-states and self-determination as being fearful things, so there is no common ground between us.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I think Hague is now a broken reed.
    Him getting the post at all was enough to win me a case of rather good claret :)
  • Options
    For all that David Cameron will find himself in a minority of one or two, he is right as a matter of principle to force the matter to a vote. I don't believe the advance opinion polls suggesting that the British public approve of this - I expect that they will turn through 180 degrees when they see a defeated Britain in a tiny minority. But the vote will look very different in a couple of years' time if Jean-Claude Juncker turns out to be simply not up to the job (as seems to be generally expected).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It does show our alienation and drifting away from the EU that the group that "won" the Euro elections only had a candidate in one of the British seats. The truth is practically no one in the UK voted for Junker. The EPP candidate in London got 28,014 votes. There were no debates in the UK suggesting these elections had anything to do with the Commission Presidency.

This is because we of course use these elections as an opportunity to kick the government of the day and have a laugh by electing non serious politicians like UKIP. We simply don't play or frankly even understand the game.

Article 17.7 of the consolidated treaty says this:

"Taking into account the elections to the European Parliament and after having held the appropriate consultations, the European Council, acting by a qualified majority, shall propose to the European Parliament a candidate for President of the Commission. This candidate shall be elected by the European Parliament by a majority of its component members. If he does not obtain the required majority, the European Council, acting by a qualified majority, shall within one month propose a new candidate who shall be elected by the European Parliament following the same procedure."

The provision is a classic EU fudge but I think it is clear(ish) that the European Council is not obliged to accept the nominated person of the largest grouping in the Parliament. On the other hand if they don't choose that person the EU Parliament is not obliged to accept their nominee either.

Cameron is entitled to his vote but it is QMV and he can and probably will be outvoted. It is very difficult to see how anyone else is now going to get the vote required from the Parliament. If the tories had still been in the EPP their views would have carried more weight, not least with Merkel. But the tories had good reasons to withdraw from what is a federal grouping and I think the vast majority of UK citizens who had any view or interest would agree with their reasoning.

Since 1999, I'd say that people have been mostly focused on the EU, in Euro elections. They've consistently voted for eurosceptic/withdrawalist parties.

• Options
    @antifrank

He should have put Andy Coulson's name up for a laugh.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nah, I think they are misreading things. It's been a long time since we have had an EU that seems to be working for us. Antifrank put it best yesterday - they are driving the UK towards the exit & I don't think they even realise
    If one is in an abusive relationship, one should just leave, rather than trying to make it work.
  • Options
    Bearing in mind the trouble that our foreign office got us into under Blair and Brown, doing nothing is definitely progress!

It was a sinecure, and when we use posts like this or European Commissioners as a way to pension off politicians beyond their sell by dates we are all diminished.

We need to send someone capable and forceful as our next Euro Commissioner who can keep Mr Juncker on his toes.

• Options
    It does strike me as ironic that Dave is telling us to trust his judgement that Europe has picked the wrong guy, just after the Coulson thing.
  • Options

There are a number of other countries outside the euro and intending to stay out, so if this was a deciding factor we did not need to isolate ourselves.

The simple fact is that Juncker is the choice of the largest party in the European parliament, and supported by most governments. We have been fairly outvoted.

We sent a bunch of clowns as MEPs on May 22nd. We should not be surprised by being laughed at followed by a custard pie in the face.

DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

I agree about the clowns and they are clowns who in general don't even turn up for the parade or vote. Will they turn up to vote against Juncker? I doubt it.

But it really doesn't matter for anyone other than Labour who remain in the socialist group (although the indication from Miliband is that they are going to defy that group and vote against Juncker). The largest grouping in the EU Parliament got 28K votes in the UK. We have no influence over it at all. If we had elected more Lib Dems or tories it would have made no difference to the result. They are not players in the groupings that matter.

Perhaps we might as well send in the clowns.

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,860
    Cameron is going to fail miserably over this, just as he going to fail miserably with the "re-negotiations" he wants to have before his mythical in-out referendum in 2017.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

If one is in an abusive relationship, one should just leave, rather than trying to make it work.
    It's not an abusive relationship - that's unhelpfully emotionally charged terminology.

We are a member of a club. It isn't working for us. We change things so it works for us, we accept a subordinate role, or we leave.

It really is that simple.

There is no harm in trying to change things, especially if there is the threat of leaving as that really forces your partners to think.

But in respect of antifrank's point about carelessness, I think the Europols are assuming Cameron won't be around after May 2015 so they don't need to accomodate him. There may be some rapid changes if he wins/remains head of a coalition after the GE. But I do take the point that they haven't thought about the long term implications if he loses - there has to be a decent chance of a BOOer becoming Tory leader
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,085
    I’ve thought for some time that we haven’t had a Foreign Secretary who really wanted the job, and felt he could do something, since Robin Cook.

And since May 2010 I've said, and been roundly abused for it, that Clegg should have insisted on one of the top jobs, such as FS, instead of the non-job of DPM & Constitutional Affairs.
    Although to be fair if he’d got the AV referendum and HoL reform through things would have been very different.

If we have a Con/LD coalition after May 2015 I wonder if the LD’s will get some different posts.
  • Options
    @OldKingCole

Unless their polling improves, their next post will be emptying the waste paper baskets.
  • Options
    It was the Conservatives themselves who left the centre right grouping by order of Cameron. We chose not to have a say, so have no cause for complaint now.

And all that is achieved is that we have destroyed any possibility of a constructive relationship with the president of the commission because of ineffective political posturing for a UK audience. This is quite possibly the stupidest thing that Cameron has done.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

I agree about the clowns and they are clowns who in general don't even turn up for the parade or vote. Will they turn up to vote against Juncker? I doubt it.

But it really doesn't matter for anyone other than Labour who remain in the socialist group (although the indication from Miliband is that they are going to defy that group and vote against Juncker). The largest grouping in the EU Parliament got 28K votes in the UK. We have no influence over it at all. If we had elected more Lib Dems or tories it would have made no difference to the result. They are not players in the groupings that matter.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Smarmeron said:

It seems that those mad foreign chappies had this idea that a "sausage should contain at least 75% pure meat. We British know that sausages only need about 5% meat, the rest being made up of rusk, "recovered meat" and fat.

Another interesting subject would be the recent rule changes to the practices in slaughterhouses, where there is now no cutting open of suspect carcases. Last year, there were over 35,000 pigs heads taken out of the food chain in the UK (abscesses, cysts, etc.,) alone.

I listened to R4 the other day and was surprised at the fact and vast size of the industry of stripping of meat from pigs heads for sausage and other pork processed products.

Oh, nearly forgot, these EU wide rule changes were brought in by pressure from, I am given to understand, by British food processors with a large amount of help and input from UK civil servants.

Enjoy your breakfast sausages, some how, I've started back on porridge.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2014

I’ve thought for some time that we haven’t had a Foreign Secretary who really wanted the job, and felt he could do something, since Robin Cook.

And since May 2010 I've said, and been roundly abused for it, that Clegg should have insisted on one of the top jobs, such as FS, instead of the non-job of DPM & Constitutional Affairs.
    Although to be fair if he’d got the AV referendum and HoL reform through things would have been very different.

If we have a Con/LD coalition after May 2015 I wonder if the LD’s will get some different posts.

yes and a lot less than they have now
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I wonder when (if ever?) the CPS will go after the reporters, editors and managers of the other newspapers identified in Operation Motorman and subsequent investigations? News International was responsible for about 1,000 of the 17,000 files.......
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited June 2014
    A lot of the electorate conflate the ECHR with the EU and so may be more interested in the future of the EU that may be realised.

The EU is acting like a bit of a dinosaur in that any club/association needs reform after a fair time, just to make sure that it is relevant to today and the future.

Having rushed without due diligence into the EZ and enlargement, this dinosaur (lumbering and ponderous and requiring to consume vast amounts of resources to sustain itself) and with neither wings nor sufficient teeth - vulnerable to all who attack it. Also it has become reliant on its major potential predator (Russia) for its life-giving energy.

Juncker, with his advance along the same lines without reform policy, is not the person with the vision required to be able to reform the EU so that it can become an effective and efficient coalition of nation states.
  • Options
    @Edin_Rokz
    There used to be a joke during the "great" depression about a Catholic housewife coming out of a butchers on Friday. The priest spots her, and calls out "I hope those sausages aren't for your tea tonight Mary?"

The woman calls back " They are indeed Father, but don't worry, there is no meat in them"
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT and apols if this was posted yesterday - has good charts

"The Conservative Party's lead over Labour on the economy is higher than ever, while the economy is no longer the top concern of voters

The Conservatives may be winning the economic argument – or at least Labour may be losing it – according to several measures in public opinion about the country’s finances tracked by YouGov.

The key finding is that voters now prefer the Tories over Labour when it comes to handling the economy by a net margin of 15 points, the largest lead since David Cameron moved into 10 Downing Street.

This is only an increase of 2 points over the previous high of 13 points, but the historical data suggests a broader trend. The percentage who prefer the Conservative Party on this issue has not fallen below 35% for over six weeks, something that hasn’t happened since the early days of the coalition government. At the same time, only 20% think the Labour Party would best handle the economy, their lowest rating over the same period. Only 63% of Labour voters back Labour on the economy, compared to 90% of Conservatives who back their own party."

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/06/26/tories-widen-their-lead-on-the-economy/
  • Options
    @CarlottaVance

The cases are still open, as are others for NI.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,085
    Edin_Rokz said:

Smarmeron said:

Another interesting subject would be the recent rule changes to the practices in slaughterhouses, where there is now no cutting open of suspect carcases. Last year, there were over 35,000 pigs heads taken out of the food chain in the UK (abscesses, cysts, etc.,) alone.

I listened to R4 the other day and was surprised at the fact and vast size of the industry of stripping of meat from pigs heads for sausage and other pork processed products.

Oh, nearly forgot, these EU wide rule changes were brought in by pressure from, I am given to understand, by British food processors with a large amount of help and input from UK civil servants.

We only buy sausages from small, local producers. Seems safer.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Edin_Rokz said:

Smarmeron said:

I am somewhat mystified by the squeamishness around meat processing. Surely it makes perfect sense to maximise the amount of food we can get per animal?

And nothing at all wrong with the sausages made with a high proportion of rusk. that's dietary fibre.. and jolly tasty, and good on a budget too.

No idea about slaughterhouse rules though. Presumably the microbiologists won?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,006
    DavidL said:

The largest grouping in the EU Parliament got 28K votes in the UK. We have no influence over it at all. If we had elected more Lib Dems or tories it would have made no difference to the result. They are not players in the groupings that matter.

The EPP only stood in London - they could have at least stood in all the regions to at least give some semblance that they gave a toss about Britain !

The Conservatives stand in NI elections after all.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    edited June 2014

Have you read the fiscal compact? It essentially binds all "Contracting Parties" to a common fiscal goal. Perfectly understandable for economies with a shared currency but bonkers (and intrusive) for others. It is federalism red (!) in tooth and claw and Cam was right to reject it.

Here's Article 5.1 for a flavour

"A Contracting Party that is subject to an excessive deficit procedure under the Treaties on which the European Union is founded shall put in place a budgetary and economic partnership programme including a detailed description of the structural reforms which must be put in place and implemented to ensure an effective and durable correction of its excessive deficit. The content and format of such programmes shall be defined in European Union law. Their submission to the Council of the European Union and to the European Commission for endorsement and their monitoring will take place within the context of the existing surveillance procedures under the Stability and Growth Pact."

european-council.europa.eu/media/639235/st00tscg26_en12.pdf
  • Options
    brawn. a beautiful pigs head product. I could go a pork pie just now an all...

there y'go you've got me all nostalgic for British foods
  • Options

Cameron is going to fail miserably over this, just as he going to fail miserably with the "re-negotiations" he wants to have before his mythical in-out referendum in 2017.

Excellent, thanks for that. Now do you have the numbers for this weekend's lottery?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

The largest grouping in the EU Parliament got 28K votes in the UK. We have no influence over it at all. If we had elected more Lib Dems or tories it would have made no difference to the result. They are not players in the groupings that matter.

The EPP only stood in London - they could have at least stood in all the regions to at least give some semblance that they gave a toss about Britain !

The Conservatives stand in NI elections after all.
    The EPP stood in northern Ireland too under the banner NI21.
  • Options
    @dugarbandier

Nothing wrong in making full use of carcasses, But arguing against rules on meat, not long after " the horseburger incident" would seem a tad churlish to some.
    Just as well few knew about it, and the media didn't create a fuss?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Just about to go on 5Live to talk about Cameron and the Junckers stand-off
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Can and will some of the leaders abstain on the vote? Otherwise the vote will be something like an embarrassing 29-2 in favour of Juncker
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Have you read the fiscal compact? It essentially binds all "Contracting Parties" to a common fiscal goal. Perfectly understandable for economies with a shared currency but bonkers (and intrusive) for others. It is federalism red (!) in tooth and claw and Cam was right to reject it.

"A Contracting Party that is subject to an excessive deficit procedure under the Treaties on which the European Union is founded shall put in place a budgetary and economic partnership programme including a detailed description of the structural reforms which must be put in place and implemented to ensure an effective and durable correction of its excessive deficit. The content and format of such programmes shall be defined in European Union law. Their submission to the Council of the European Union and to the European Commission for endorsement and their monitoring will take place within the context of the existing surveillance procedures under the Stability and Growth Pact."

The non-toys-out-of-pram strategy would have been to let them do the agreement as a normal EU treaty but with an opt-out for the UK. That would have got him what he actually ended up with, plus some (real but modest) concessions on something else he wanted. The problem was that he over-estimated his leverage and the lever snapped, leaving him with nothing where he coud have got something.

That said, it made domestic political sense because the concessions wouldn't have been huge, passing stuff through the Commons would have been a PITA and chewed up government time, the antis would have screamed betrayal and the "veto" was popular.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2014

TGOHF said:
    I wonder when (if ever?) the CPS will go after the reporters, editors and managers of the other newspapers identified in Operation Motorman and subsequent investigations? News International was responsible for about 1,000 of the 17,000 files.......
    The Guardian never focused on the biggest user. Trinitymirror. Murdoch was always their target. The Observer had also been a small user.
  • Options

Britain hasn’t really had a foreign secretary under William Hague, and it could do with one. The incumbent is entirely absent from this debate (and most others). Indeed, he is proving the most disappointing Foreign Secretary in a generation, having refused to find the “on” switch for his undoubtedly brilliant mind. .....

Very true. Judging a man by his actions, Hague opposed coming out of the EPP, has not tabled proposals for repatriating powers, sits with europhile FO ministers and has never had a Eurosceptic minister and created through inaction the EC referendum rebellions within the Conservatives.
  • Options

Excellent, thanks for that. Now do you have the numbers for this weekend's lottery?

In the same way that No_Offence_Alan can reasonably make the predictions he did, I can predict with reasonable confidence that they won't be 46813765.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445

TOPPING said:

The non-toys-out-of-pram strategy would have been to let them do the agreement as a normal EU treaty but with an opt-out for the UK. That would have got him what he actually ended up with, plus some (real but modest) concessions on something else he wanted. The problem was that he over-estimated his leverage and the lever snapped, leaving him with nothing where he coud have got something.

That said, it made domestic political sense because the concessions wouldn't have been huge, passing stuff through the Commons would have been a PITA and chewed up government time, the antis would have screamed betrayal and the "veto" was popular.
    I find it hard to believe that even EdM would have signed up to it but by the time the bluster was in full-swing each party retreated to its default pro/anti position. It's a shame: a 16-page long document meant that the barriers to a broader debate on the compact, and the degree of fiscal autonomy the UK wants, were unusually low.

As you say, not politics at its best but politics as is.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Except that (a) the opt outs are regularly pressured or circumnavigated by various EU bodies and (b) he thought he had Merkel on side but she ultimately broke her promise.

She's done the same on Juncker: it's perfectly possible that she won't support renegotiation. But then we get to say whether we like that construct or not.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dugarbandier

Nothing wrong in making full use of carcasses, But arguing against rules on meat, not long after " the horseburger incident" would seem a tad churlish to some.
    Just as well few knew about it, and the media didn't create a fuss?

from my briefest of googlings it looks like arguing for different rules, rather than no rules? and the competing dangers of spreading bacteria around, or knowing precisely what the inside of the carcasses look like. Maybe the media didn't create a fuss because they didn't understand it? There are few journalists competent at science reporting
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited June 2014

It was the Conservatives themselves who left the centre right grouping by order of Cameron. We chose not to have a say, so have no cause for complaint now.

And all that is achieved is that we have destroyed any possibility of a constructive relationship with the president of the commission because of ineffective political posturing for a UK audience. This is quite possibly the stupidest thing that Cameron has done.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

The ECR group is now the third largest in the EU Parliament. It contains MEPs from 17 member states.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0623/625874-fianna-fail-europe/

http://ecrgroup.eu/
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It really is a stretch of logic to lose 26-2 and then claim victory.
  • Options
    OGH "If he wins and Juncker doesn’t get the job it will be huge victory for Cameron on a scale greater than the famous veto of December 2011. If he doesn’t then it is hard to predict the consequences. "
    The media line is that Juncker will be appointed. So be it. The consequences are that the EC will not have a President focused on reforming itself into ways that make its economies more competitive nor in ways that make it better for the UK to remain. In essence the EC Leaders think that they can postpone action and hope that something turns up. An "it'll be alright on the night" approach. Juncker does have an election manifesto, which is a 5 point plan for "more integration". That will just accelerate the disputes and delay economic reforms. Unless of course the alleged drinking problems brings about an early change. The europhiles should pray for that.

• Options
    @dugarbandier

We could probably shorten that to "There are few journalists competent"
    I can understand the pressures they are under these days, but headlines based on bad info should be no part of the profession.
    There should be a debate about EU rules and regulation, but only the "drama" makes into onto page and screen.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Fraser Nelson:

The ECR group is now the third largest in the EU Parliament. It contains MEPs from 17 member states.
    http://www.europeanvoice.com/article/irish-mep-leaves-alde-for-ecr-group/
    http://ecrgroup.eu/
    Yes the Conservative MEPs in europe have done a remarkable job in creating a new group within the awful EC rules, which has overtaken the Liberals ALDE. Juncker maybe the last gasp appointment from the Federalists, hopefully.
This discussion has been closed.