Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survation finds that YES could have an 8% lead if Scottish

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

@JBriskin

I fail to see what the bloody fuss was about re: Salmond and the saltire.

Scottish FM celebrates Scottish player who was born in Scotland and is a proud Scot winning by waving a Scottish flag.

It's not the effing Olympics where you are only allowed to wave the flags Seb Coe approves of, thank god. In most major sports he'd be playing officially for Scotland anyway, and, according to Google Sports, he does in tennis too...

Andy Murray told the Sunday Times last weekend he didn't like Salmond waving the flag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10884726/Andy-Murray-I-didnt-like-Alex-Salmonds-Scottish-flag-waving-at-Wimbledon.html
    So what? I'm not surprised given the media hysteria it caused. If it had passed without comment from the Greater Englanders I suspect Murray wouldn't have minded. Who can forget the hoo-ha when the guy admitted he supported England's opponents at football? As England are Scotland's arch rivals fair enough. Yet the guy got lambasted for it. I say fair play to him, but he is clearly sore from the experience.
    Is there a term for the situation where one country or entity considers another its arch rivals,

There must be a term for this unilateral sense of rivalry, unless it's just "inferiority complex"?

In rugby England's rivals are everyone. They all hate us. Every single one of them!

The big football rivalry for Germany is probably the Netherlands.

Maybe the closest equivalent to England v Scotland in one-sidedness of antipathy is Spain v Portugal.

SO

have tried several times over last 2 days to get details from Sunil re this evening, so suggest we reschedule when he finally gets round to ringing me !
    Do you need Sunil's phone number ?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,012

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

@JBriskin

Scottish FM celebrates Scottish player who was born in Scotland and is a proud Scot winning by waving a Scottish flag.

It's not the effing Olympics where you are only allowed to wave the flags Seb Coe approves of, thank god. In most major sports he'd be playing officially for Scotland anyway, and, according to Google Sports, he does in tennis too...

Andy Murray told the Sunday Times last weekend he didn't like Salmond waving the flag.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10884726/Andy-Murray-I-didnt-like-Alex-Salmonds-Scottish-flag-waving-at-Wimbledon.html
    So what? I'm not surprised given the media hysteria it caused. If it had passed without comment from the Greater Englanders I suspect Murray wouldn't have minded. Who can forget the hoo-ha when the guy admitted he supported England's opponents at football? As England are Scotland's arch rivals fair enough. Yet the guy got lambasted for it. I say fair play to him, but he is clearly sore from the experience.
    Is there a term for the situation where one country or entity considers another its arch rivals,

There must be a term for this unilateral sense of rivalry, unless it's just "inferiority complex"?

In rugby England's rivals are everyone. They all hate us. Every single one of them!

Maybe the closest equivalent to England v Scotland in one-sidedness of antipathy is Spain v Portugal.

SO

have tried several times over last 2 days to get details from Sunil re this evening, so suggest we reschedule when he finally gets round to ringing me !

yes if you've got it.

I sent him mine via vanilla but no call to date
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I assume we are all on England for the test match ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,541

Spud Murphy's conversation with the peepul going well.

http://tinyurl.com/mdgcdkz

Wonder what George Galloway was doing on Barra ?
    No doubt telling the locals how much Catholics would be persecuted if they voted Yes, but the sight of Spud set him off.

• Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

@JBriskin

SO

yes if you've got it.

I sent him mine via vanilla but no call to date
    I've just messaged it to you via vanilla.

• Options

No doubt telling the locals how much Catholics would be persecuted if they voted Yes, but the sight of Spud set him off.

The most fawning picture ever ?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2eHKNhe_fDLgqdF3H-mkWjvnB6l15KJ8GTaTRZZSZEq_GRQFj7Q
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yeah. Lanka wins the toss and will bowl.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,012
    @ TSE

got it thanks
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Dang.

Plunkett over Woakes I hope.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Dang.

Plunkett over Woakes I hope.
    Yeah. Time to back the chaps from Ceylon

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

New Ladbrokes markets: that 25/1 CON in D&G is a total no-brainer-> fill your pockets!!!

Dunfermline & West Fife
    Labour 1/20
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 20/1

Dumfries & Galloway
    Labour1/50
    SNP 25/1
    Conservatives 25/1

Glasgow North
    Labour 1/25
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 25/1

That's ludicrously generous in D and G given that the Tories won the Euro vote there. Shadsy's on a giveaway day,
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    isam said:

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

Apart from the minor issue of us teaching children that a bloke turned water into wine and came back from the dead, no. And the other problem of schools teaching creationism as a science. Other than that, all fine and dandy.

I went to a Church of England school and was only taught the first thing as "this is what Christians believe." I was also taught about the other major religions.

As for the creationism thing, I believe that was put a stop to, so isn't currently a problem.

Besides, this stuff is not in any way comparable to calling Western women "white prostitutes", having pro-stoning books, anti-Christian chants etc? It really is an intellectual block on left-leaning people that they can't criticize Islam in isolation. It must always be accompanied with a bash at Christianity.

Were any of the schools in Birmingham Muslim schools in the same way as we have CoE or Catholic schools? I may be wrong, but none of them seem to have been. The issue looks to be much more about very lax governance and oversight.

Isnt the point that they were supposed to be secular schools?

This is a v. important point.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The most fawning picture ever ?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2eHKNhe_fDLgqdF3H-mkWjvnB6l15KJ8GTaTRZZSZEq_GRQFj7Q
    Tbf Murphy would look fawning even if he was kicking a kitten.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,666
    I'm not a pilot but how on earth do you try to fly a plane in two directions at the same time?!?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/12/two-pilots-virgin-australia-plane-opposite-directions-report
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @TGOHF

On at 2.1
  • Options
    Morning all
    passport gate will hurt the Tories. You can get away with Austerity as long as you don't interfere with Joe Bloggs annual lobsterisation in some god awful dive in Europe.

Dyed Woolie election and Sindy update

SIndy - No 51.5 Yes 48.5, race tightening.
    GE 2015
    Lab 300
    Tory 285
    Lib Dem 20
    UKIP 4
    Green 2
    NI and Nats 39 (SNP to gain a hatful)

Ed Miliband is Primeminister of a minority government, back to the polls 2016
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

BobaFett said:

Apart from the minor issue of us teaching children that a bloke turned water into wine and came back from the dead, no. And the other problem of schools teaching creationism as a science. Other than that, all fine and dandy.

I went to a Church of England school and was only taught the first thing as "this is what Christians believe." I was also taught about the other major religions.

As for the creationism thing, I believe that was put a stop to, so isn't currently a problem.

Besides, this stuff is not in any way comparable to calling Western women "white prostitutes", having pro-stoning books, anti-Christian chants etc? It really is an intellectual block on left-leaning people that they can't criticize Islam in isolation. It must always be accompanied with a bash at Christianity.

Were any of the schools in Birmingham Muslim schools in the same way as we have CoE or Catholic schools? I may be wrong, but none of them seem to have been. The issue looks to be much more about very lax governance and oversight.

Isnt the point that they were supposed to be secular schools?

This is a v. important point.

I wonder how widespread this practice of secular schools being taken over a certain religion when the area is overwhelmingly made up of just that religion

Tower Hamlets schools seem to have improved in a similar way to those in Birmingham in recent yeras
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    This is quite an important day for Cookie whose absolutely incredible record as a batsman has taken a bit of a knock over the last 12 months. On a green pitch on day 1 he will be more than usually twitchy, not least with such an inexperienced if quite exciting top 6.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,311
    I've just realised I will be on Barra for the Scottish Referendum! Will be your Hebridean Correspondent through it all...
  • Options

I've just realised I will be on Barra for the Scottish Referendum! Will be your Hebridean Correspondent through it all...

I'm taking the folks up to Scotland later in the year. Am planning to book it for referendum week, I'll provide coverage from Lochaber.
  • Options
    England at 2.22 for the test is sensational.

Overreaction to the pitch colour.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    rcs1000 said:

Is teaching of 'intelligent design' and 'teaching the [evolution] controversy' OK with state money at evangelical Christian schools?

No.
    rcs1000 said:

What about at state funded orthodox Jewish schools in North London? I can assure you these would be as alien to you (except that the women dressed 'conservatively' would be white and unable to shake your hand) as those Islamic ones in Birmingham.

I would find such schools equally obnoxious, if true. My plan would be to require religious schools to get 20% of the intake from other religions. My guess would be that these obnoxiously religious ones wouldn't be able to attract such students, and could then be stripped of funding.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

New Ladbrokes markets: that 25/1 CON in D&G is a total no-brainer-> fill your pockets!!!

Dunfermline & West Fife
    Labour 1/20
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 20/1

Dumfries & Galloway
    Labour1/50
    SNP 25/1
    Conservatives 25/1

Glasgow North
    Labour 1/25
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 25/1

That's ludicrously generous in D and G given that the Tories won the Euro vote there. Shadsy's on a giveaway day,
    And Labour 1/25. I think he meant some other seat.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

A sign of a nation's confidence (or at least sporting confidence) is to only care about supporting their team and not hating or wishing ill on other teams.
    There are some bonehead England fans who invest hatred in hoping Germany or Argentina lose and half hoping Scotland do (although in my experience they are very much third on the hate the team barometer behind the other two) but sport is about achievement not hate and I am glad that most England fans do not want other teams to lose they want England to win

I guess I'm approaching this more in a Eurovision sort of way, willing on whoever plays Argentina or Russia and generally picking sides on something of a whim.

England may only play three games in this World Cup, and it will be so much more fun to entertain an interest in the other games, even if for often arbitrary reasons.

I'm hoping for an early Croatian goal this evening, in the hope that it will provoke Brazil into producing something special in response.

Anyhow, I see that Woakes has been left out of the England team - as expected - hopefully we'll only see the one England debutant bat today.

• Options
    Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

Is teaching of 'intelligent design' and 'teaching the [evolution] controversy' OK with state money at evangelical Christian schools?

No.
    rcs1000 said:

What about at state funded orthodox Jewish schools in North London? I can assure you these would be as alien to you (except that the women dressed 'conservatively' would be white and unable to shake your hand) as those Islamic ones in Birmingham.

I would find such schools equally obnoxious, if true. My plan would be to require religious schools to get 20% of the intake from other religions. My guess would be that these obnoxiously religious ones wouldn't be able to attract such students, and could then be stripped of funding.

Why allow any state money to be used to promote religious ideology?

As @MikeK has pointed out, parents who want religious education can easily send their kids to after-school clubs. I wouldn't even mind them being done on school grounds, provided they were not part of the school day, and they paid a commercial rate for use of classrooms.
  • Options

I'm in Edinburgh during the referendum.

Scotland is going to be full of PB Tories during this crucial time.

We could swing the result.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    Quite a good comment on Cricinfo:

""Who picked the England batting line up, Eric Morecambe?" asks Mark from Yorkshire, where they know about this sort of thing. "We have picked the right players just not necessarily in the right order!" "

Kind of agree. Bell really should be at 3.
  • Options

Yeah, but which way?
  • Options

Yeah, but which way?
    The Scots love me. Every time I go they always tell me to come back soon.

Usually when I tell them my earliest rugby memory was the 1990 Calcutta cup match.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Commons Library Research Paper for EU election. All results by local authority provided
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP14-32/european-parliament-elections-2014
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    TGOHF said:

England at 2.22 for the test is sensational.

Overreaction to the pitch colour.

Backed England at 2.22 and laid the draw at 2.68 for a tenner.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2014
    ToryJim said:

I'm not a pilot but how on earth do you try to fly a plane in two directions at the same time?!?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/12/two-pilots-virgin-australia-plane-opposite-directions-report

That's a bit alarming - reminiscent of how the Air France plane crashed in the South Atlantic 4 or 5 years ago. The pilots were doing opposite things and the aeroplane flew the average and came down.

It seems surprising that there is no way for one control column to be set as the 'master' so that the aeroplane responds to only one set of inputs rather than splitting the difference and not flying at all.
  • Options

Dunfermline & West Fife
    Labour 1/20
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 20/1

Dumfries & Galloway
    Labour1/50
    SNP 25/1
    Conservatives 25/1

Glasgow North
    Labour 1/25
    SNP 10/1
    Liberal Democrats 25/1

I can't see Dumfries & Galloway :/
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

rcs1000 said:

No.
    rcs1000 said:

Why allow any state money to be used to promote religious ideology?

As @MikeK has pointed out, parents who want religious education can easily send their kids to after-school clubs. I wouldn't even mind them being done on school grounds, provided they were not part of the school day, and they paid a commercial rate for use of classrooms.
    Because the religious are taxpayers too, and, as long as it's not teaching nastiness, they deserve to have the sort of education they want from their kids? There's also the small matter that religious schools perform better in educating children, which is a large benefit to society. The main reason for that is that schools that aren't religious seem to fall prey to lefty ideology instead, complete with political correctness, a reluctant to let kids ever lose, and a dearth of moral teaching.
  • Options

It seems surprising that there is no way for one control column to be set as the 'master' so that the aeroplane responds to only one set of inputs rather than splitting the difference and not flying at all.

Suppose the Captain's control column is set as the master, but they have a heart attack and lie slumped over the controls.

I don't think there's a simple answer.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    An unprecedented attempt to hold the first ever completely secret criminal trial in the UK has been blocked by the Court of Appeal.

Judges said that the "core" of the terrorism trial could be partly heard in secret but parts must be in public.

They said media also should be allowed to name the two defendants as Erol Incedal and Mounir Rarmoul-Bouhadjar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27806814
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

- Not allow absences for arranged marriages

Given that any 16 or 17 year old requires the permission of parents anyway, how do you differentiate?

I know several people who were in 'arranged' marriages, in that the parents organised for the people to meet someone who it was considered suitable for them to marry. But in each case, there was never any suggestion that anyone would marry someone whom they did not want to marry.

How do you define 'arranged' marriage?
    I think he meant forced marriage. One of my cousins had a modern day arranged marriage where she was set up with a guy on a blind date that she was matched up to by some expert in our community (interests, height, looks, in that order). They went out for about a year and then got married. That's how it works today in the Indian community.

The same cousin has a muslim friend who was supposed to married, she had never met the bloke in her life and they had been set up from birth. Some random dude from Pakistan. She cried foul a week before the wedding and ran away to some specialist unit in the Birmingham police and she has not spoken to her family since then other than sent a letter to say she is alive and well, and not to try and find or contact her because they will get in trouble with the police if they do.

The latter is a forced marriage, but would come under the arranged marriage banner about 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Should have picked Adam Lyth

Sam Robson = Mark Lathwell
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Given that any 16 or 17 year old requires the permission of parents anyway, how do you differentiate?

I know several people who were in 'arranged' marriages, in that the parents organised for the people to meet someone who it was considered suitable for them to marry. But in each case, there was never any suggestion that anyone would marry someone whom they did not want to marry.

I think he meant forced marriage. One of my cousins had a modern day arranged marriage where she was set up with a guy on a blind date that she was matched up to by some expert in our community (interests, height, looks, in that order). They went out for about a year and then got married. That's how it works today in the Indian community.

The same cousin has a muslim friend who was supposed to married, she had never met the bloke in her life and they had been set up from birth. Some random dude from Pakistan. She cried foul a week before the wedding and ran away to some specialist unit in the Birmingham police and she has not spoken to her family since then other than sent a letter to say she is alive and well, and not to try and find or contact her because they will get in trouble with the police if they do.

The latter is a forced marriage, but would come under the arranged marriage banner about 30 years ago.
    Do they do sex before marriage or is there an assumption of chastity?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Do they do sex before marriage or is there an assumption of chastity?
    The former.
  • Options
    Anyone know why the draw was 2.68 on Betfair ?

Maybe you could make a case if SA and Aus were playing. England, Lanka... No.
  • Options
    VI on last night's Survation have Green's being 3rd largest party at Holyrood.
    Which would be interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/njmxhkd
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Probably posted on there before but I see the AfD have joined the ECR. CCHQ retweeted one suggestion it was a mistake, suggesting that (as predicted) the Tories are now in this fun game where they pretend they opposed such a move outright, when really the AfD are natural allies albeit likely to make working with Merkel more difficult.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Should have picked Adam Lyth

Sam Robson = Mark Lathwell

Robson = not English

Neither is Ballance

...and now Cooks out
  • Options
    Some areas with winning party over 45% in the Euro election

UKIP

Boston 51.6
    South Holland 48.5
    Tendring 48.4
    Castle Point 47.8
    Fenland 47.3
    Blaenau Gwent 46.5
    Thanet 46
    Thurrock 45.9
    Forest Heath 45.8
    Great Yarmouth 45.2

Lab

Newham 58.4
    Knowsley 57.6
    Tower Hamlets 54.2
    Hackney 54.1
    Leicester 52.9
    Liverpool 51.8
    Manchester 51.4
    Barking 49.3
    Haringey 48.4
    Islington 47.5
    Lambeth 47
    Slough 47
    Brent 46.8
    Blackburn 45.9
    Lewisham 45.9
    Halton 45.7
    Ealing 45.6
    St Helens 45.2

Con

nowhere. John O's Elmbrdige leads the way with 43.1%

LD

Gibraltar 67.2%
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone know why the draw was 2.68 on Betfair ?

Maybe you could make a case if SA and Aus were playing. England, Lanka... No.

Two poor dismissals so far - nothing in the pitch.
  • Options
    Blaenau Gwent should obivously be in Labour's column
  • Options
    Has there ever been a cricketer that has played for India, Pakistan or Bangladesh youth team then switched to one of the other two for the full national team?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour polled more than 45% in four areas with a low percentage of EMs: Knowsley, Liverpool, Halton, St Helens.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    He was not offered that.

I think Salmond has made a major strategic error. He should have pushed for a referendum on self government with the same approximate powers as the Isle of Man have and Southern Rhodesia had, ie local control of everything except foreign policy.

He would probably have won that and got effective independence without all the problems. Also if it worked well it would then be much easier to win "dominion" status (ie independence) on the same basis as Australia and Canada in a few years, if it was wanted.

• Options
    Yet another appalling crime in India..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-27807539
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    The Tories being a party mainly in the shires, is a problem for the UK, as it will cause parts to want to have their own independent powers. The Tories also have very little chance of forming a majority government, but the fear is bad enough for some. The nasty party is pretty toxic and needs to find a way to solve their reputation. More women MP's and people who are more representative of the public may help.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited June 2014
    AFP: not enough MPs turn up at Iraqi parliament to pass State of Emergency vote...

Also heard that preparations are being made to evacuate the Green Zone.

Is this the EndGame?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AFP: not enough MPs turn up at Iraqi parliament to pass State of Emergency vote...

Also heard that preparation are being made to evacuate the Green Zone.

Is this the EndGame?

Best to ask the Middle East Peace Envoy for his view.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Cricinfo has up a list of recent opening partnerships back to the time of Vaughan. Best pair of openers is Compton and Cook.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @RodCrosby
    "Is this the EndGame? "

Doubtful, There are enough Shia to make it a protracted civil war
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,068
    Mr. Crosby, is that because most MPs have legged it, or because quite a lot of them wouldn't mind an ISIS victory?
  • Options
    Brent Crude up by 2% today - that will hit the inflation rate. Have the militants captured the refinery?
  • Options
    Troubled Morrissey @troubledmozza · Jun 10
    1. Smiling at people you'd much rather kick in the eye
    2. Giving valuable time to people who don't care if you live or die #BritishValues
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS Iraq's parliamentary session has been postponed due to lack of quorum. The meeting was intended to vote on the government's call for the state of emergency.

10:47: Only 128 out of 325 MPs attended parliament, forcing the session to be delayed.

10:34: "Baghdad is a ghost city - everyone is terrified and planning to leave or making own security plan, saving fuel or food," blogger Noof Assi told BBC World Service radio programme Outside Source.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27809931
  • Options
    I'm coming to the conclusion what Iraq needs is a strong Sunni strongman to keep the place from turning to shite.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    FFS
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak · 8 mins
    AFP: Iraq's parliament fails to get enough MPs to attend a vote on a state of emergency after militants take control of Mosul and Tikrit

• Options
    Financier said:

Cricinfo has up a list of recent opening partnerships back to the time of Vaughan. Best pair of openers is Compton and Cook.

England have been in a tailspin since the selectors decided they were too good for Compton. Massive mistake that they appear uninterested in learning from.
  • Options
    I think Iraq is now a hopelessly failed state.
  • Options
    Will Paddy give me odds on the Islamic State of the Levant being established ?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I think Iraq is now a hopelessly failed state.

Syria as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I'm coming to the conclusion what Iraq needs is a strong Sunni strongman to keep the place from turning to shite.

Can we dig up Saddam?

I do wonder if democracy will work in these states.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Because the religious are taxpayers too, and, as long as it's not teaching nastiness, they deserve to have the sort of education they want from their kids?

Everybody is a taxpayer.

On that basis, you could justify schools in witchcraft and wizardry - on the basis that there are some people who are taxpayers and want their kids educated in such-and-such a way.

Surely there should be a curriculum - English, Maths, Science, History, Geography - proscribed by the government. And every school that receives money from the government can use that money only for teaching those things. Anything else can be paid for by parents who want it for their kids.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

'The insurgent commanders are said to include Baathist military officers from the Hussein era, including Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, a former vice president and one of the few prominent Baathists to evade capture during the American-led occupation.'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/world/middleeast/iraq.html?_r=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izzat_Ibrahim_al-Douri

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=izzat+al-douri&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IYmZU-OEMaOI7AbuoYC4DA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1280&bih=678&dpr=1.5

Looks a bit like Monty!
  • Options
    isam said:

2. Giving valuable time to people who don't care if you live or die
    #BritishValues

Given the weather, shouldn't he be

Spending warm summer days indoors
    Writing frightening verse
    To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Because the religious are taxpayers too, and, as long as it's not teaching nastiness, they deserve to have the sort of education they want from their kids?

Everybody is a taxpayer.

On that basis, you could justify schools in witchcraft and wizardry - on the basis that there are some people who are taxpayers and want their kids educated in such-and-such a way.

Surely there should be a curriculum - English, Maths, Science, History, Geography - proscribed by the government. And every school that receives money from the government can use that money only for teaching those things. Anything else can be paid for by parents who want it for their kids.
    You want English etc banned? I think you may mean prescribed rather than proscribed ;)
  • Options
    Bad news for the UK housing market bubble as 100,000 wealthy Iraqis leg it to London to make their new home...
  • Options
    http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/betting/e/5889016/Brazil-v-Croatia.html

Brazil vs Croatia @ Evens.

Should be a £20 offer but Hills seem to have limited me to a fiver.
  • Options

Can we dig up Saddam?

We try to impose our way on others in their own country while refusing to promote our way above others in our own, and wonder why all it results in is a big mess.

If primary schoolchildren came up with this idea we would tell them not to be so stupid
  • Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

2. Giving valuable time to people who don't care if you live or die
    #BritishValues

Given the weather, shouldn't he be

Spending warm summer days indoors
    Writing frightening verse
    To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg?
    Really funny site, particularly if you likeThe Smiths

#TheSmithsatBreakfast is fantastic!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Godfrey Bongo-Bongo Bloom on Daily Politics. ;)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Everybody is a taxpayer.

You want English etc banned? I think you may mean prescribed rather than proscribed ;)
    LOL! Exactly right :-)
  • Options
    Bob Neil will reintroduce the Wharton referendum bill having topped the private members ballot.
  • Options

Can we dig up Saddam?

I do have some friends who are Iraqis, they've said the problem is that Iraq is predominately Shia, for his many many faults, the one good thing Saddam did was keep the place secular but that was at the expense of the Shias.

Once Saddam went, the Shia want to be more like Iran.

They do wonder ultimately the majority of the Shias in Iraq will want Anschluss with Iran.

Just imagine, the Ayatollahs of Iran, backed up with nuclear weapons in one hand, and Iraqi oil reserves in the other.

Guess George and Tony really did reshape that part of the world.
  • Options
    People sometimes say the Tories are the party of the shires as if this is a terrible predicament but of course more people live in the English shires than Scotland or Wales for example.
  • Options
    I just got Spain in the office World Cup sweepstake.

Given my addiction to Spanish economic statistics, this seems an appropriate pick. PBers - should I lay this off on Betfair for a quick profit?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RodCrosby said:

'The insurgent commanders are said to include Baathist military officers from the Hussein era, including Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, a former vice president and one of the few prominent Baathists to evade capture during the American-led occupation.'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/world/middleeast/iraq.html?_r=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izzat_Ibrahim_al-Douri
    Apparently, when the American civil administrator of Iraq dismantled the Iraqi Baathist army (~700,000), he sent most of them home complete with their weapons. Naturally a large number of these men were/are Sunnis - so it should be of no surprise that they are among the leaders of the militants - especially as the Shias are in power in Baghdad.

The Americans never learn - they are useless at administering anywhere outside of the US - and often not good there.
  • Options

Can we dig up Saddam?

I do have some friends who are Iraqis, they've said the problem is that Iraq is predominately Shia, for his many many faults, the one good thing Saddam did was keep the place secular but that was at the expense of the Shias.

Once Saddam went, the Shia want to be more like Iran.

They do wonder ultimately the majority of the Shias in Iraq will want Anschluss with Iran.

Just imagine, the Ayatollahs of Iran, backed up with nuclear weapons in one hand, and Iraqi oil reserves in the other.

Guess George and Tony really did reshape that part of the world.
    Not sure if the kaleidoscope is shaken, the pieces are definitely in flux though
  • Options

FFS
    AFP: Iraq's parliament fails to get enough MPs to attend a vote on a state of emergency after militants take control of Mosul and Tikrit

Waiting for something more important?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A flight out?

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @Socrates

Your argument is thin at best. Lots of parents are racists, would you advocate teaching racism in schools? Lots of parents are stupid and feed their children junk food at home. Would you advocate state funding for junk food school lunches?

How about the radical idea that schools teach established facts at school and if parents want to teach them that an omnipotent bloke with a beard will be very nasty to them if they cuddle a girl before they marry her, they pay for that themselves and do it in their own time?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

FFS

Well most of them may not be fans of Nouri al-Maliki and may be wary of handing him extra powers regardless of the crisis.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Given my addiction to Spanish economic statistics, this seems an appropriate pick. PBers - should I lay this off on Betfair for a quick profit?

Haven't you just been given odds of N where N is the number of participants in the sweepstake? If so, laying off is a no-brainer if N is greater than the BF odds.

Disclaimer: I know nothing and care even less about the tournament.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    rcs1000 said:

Spain will win at a canter, it's a better squad than the ones that won the last three competitions with Costa, Koke. Confederations cup means they know the environment.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    From the Guardian live blog,

Iran vows to combat terrorism

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has hinted at possible intervention in Iraq by vowing to combat terrorism in the region, writes Saeed Kamali Dehghan.

What section of E Bay do irony meters come under? I need a new one,
  • Options
    Sebastian Kindersley selected for LDs in Andrew Lansley's seat:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/sebastian-kindersley-selected-for-south-cambridgeshire-40765.html
  • Options
    Spain, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina are my tips for the world cup.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Haven't you just been offered odds of N where N is the number of participants in the sweepstake? If so, laying off is a no-brainer if N is greater than the BF odds.

Disclaimer: I know nothing and care even less about the tournament.
    Depends if there's lesser 'prizes' for 2nd etc.

The odds are probably pretty crap, and it's mostly just for fun.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Sebastian Kindersley selected for LDs in Andrew Lansley's seat:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/sebastian-kindersley-selected-for-south-cambridgeshire-40765.html

He stands a good chance of *not* losing his deposit
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Everybody is a taxpayer.

Sounds reasonable on the face of it. Of course, schools could then only be judged on how well their pupils learn those subjects, which would take the whole multiculturism/promotion of diversity stuff out of education. Again that sounds sensible to me (the Devon school reported as being down-graded for being "too white" in the news just recently), but elements in the educational establishment would probably have collective apoplexy.

However, there is another side to it. Schools do impart values and norms on their pupils, this doesn't need to be done though formal lessons as it will always happen through the standards of behaviour and language the teachers use and judge to be acceptable. So removing lessons on faith from the curriculum may not actually produce the result you want. Voluntary apartheid and ghettoisation cannot be stopped by the state saying it wants to withdraw from the cultural field.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Socrates

Your argument is thin at best. Lots of parents are racists, would you advocate teaching racism in schools? Lots of parents are stupid and feed their children junk food at home. Would you advocate state funding for junk food school lunches?

How about the radical idea that schools teach established facts at school and if parents want to teach them that an omnipotent bloke with a beard will be very nasty to them if they cuddle a girl before they marry her, they pay for that themselves and do it in their own time?

A copuple of weeks ago you said that you were tolerant of other peoples views on religion and didnt constantly take the piss out of them/be sarcastic as if to say they were stupid for believing
  • Options
    Interesting, I'm not sure about how the Parliament Act gets invoked but has it ever been used in a private members bill?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/10894540/EU-referendum-could-be-law-within-a-year.html
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Everybody is a taxpayer.

Libertarian principles out the window then? Taxpayers want religious education and most of these schools were established as religious institutions. Taxpayers don't want wizardry taught, lame straw man there.

Ultimately the left see schools as centres for indoctrination rather than to develop children, let people educate their own children how they see fit. Disgusting how some people are determined to tell other people what to do with their children.
  • Options
    Man arrested in South Africa for eating love rivals heart, he was caught using a knife and fork so at least he has table manners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27808850

Is it me or are we seeing more weird crimes, or maybe they just get reported more.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "How about the radical idea that schools teach established facts at school"

That would be radical. If schools are only allowed to teach facts great chunks of the curriculum would disappear.
This discussion has been closed.