Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Conservatives win a by-election whilst in government fo

1235»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766

Betting post

You're all corrupting me. *sighs*

Right, I checked Ladbrokes (as I've mentioned, my accounts are really lopsided so I often bet with Ladbrokes rather than Betfair now) and have made small bets as follows:
    To lose the first set and win the match, Sharapova 5.5
    Halep win 2-1, 4.5

You git, you're backing them both to win, which makes it impossible to lay them both.

Although with my chat up lines...
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

JackW said:

@RochdalePioneers wrote :

"Labour getting nowhere near PROVES that Ed is Carp ..."

......................................................................................

Ed Miliband Will Never Be PM - Piscatorial Maximus

It sounds fishy.
    Pollocks ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

After your preposterous prediction that the Greek economy would outperform the UK's in 2013 , I don't think we have to take your opinions very seriously, do we ?

Mark's continued and lengthy denial of the looming largest economic crash since the creation of bronze was also a highpoint!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Huzzah for George Osborne

George Osborne ‏@George_Osborne 3s

IMF forecast UK to be the fastest growing major advanced economy in the world this year. Shows our #LongTermEconomicPlan is working

Is it ever wise to agree with the IMF?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited June 2014
    Dr Stephen Fisher's latest 2015 GE seats projection is as follows (showing minor changes over the past week) :

Con .......... 307 seats (unchanged)
    Lab .......... 286 seats ( + 1 seat)
    LibDem .......29 seats ( - 1 seat)
    Others ........28 seats (unchanged)

Total .........650

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

OK - I'm going to be somewhat controversial here. I think that this result was good for the Lib Dems. (Not actually good, but good for MP incumbency).

If the LD vote in a no-hope seat is as low as 2.5% (and that in a seat which, whilst they were third was by no means a low vote share for them), but they are still polling 10% nationally - then they must be polling reasonably well in there incumbent seats (those voters have to be somewhere...).

Actually, I think it was something simpler. LibDems voters are now - above all - else, anti-UKIPpers.

(By this, I mean the remaining LibDem voters. The NOTA LibDem voters are already Kippers.)

I think their vote in Thurrock (11%), South Thanet (15%), North Thanet (19%) and other 'Kipper strongholds' is going to collapse to 2-3% levels. And a large chunk of this will seek out that party (Labour or Conservative) that is seen as most likely to stop the Kipper surge.

This is likely to make UKIP's job of securing an MP incrementally harder.
    If Lib Dem voters are really anti-UKIP voters then surely they are not Lib Dem voters. They may make it harder for UKIP to win a seat but waht does that say about the LIB Dems as a party?
    As an aside, I think a great many Conservatives in Eastleigh will vote LibDem to stop UKIP.
    The Survation Eastleigh poll does not support that theory.
    I think there are a number of Conservative voters on this board - like JackW and Charles, for example - who have said they would vote LibDem in the event of a UKIP/Con alliance. I do not believe they are alone, and I would be very surprised if the LibDems did not see their vote share increase in Eastleigh from the by-election level.
    Survation did not find any 2013-Con>LD switchers.

(I thought JackW was a LD!)
  • Options
    philiph said:

IMF forecast UK to be the fastest growing major advanced economy in the world this year. Shows our #LongTermEconomicPlan is working

yes, they kept on warning Gordon Brown about his spending.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 2m
    Bar chart of all Great Britain by-election results since GE2010, updated for #Newark

http://t.co/CYFD8A4Zv3
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited June 2014
    Socrates said:

ToryJim said:
    You know your spinning is a stretch when you have to use lines like "they didn't even beat their all time best ever result!"
    Over 8,000 votes more than 2010 and 18% better share can hardly be called a disaster. Its about par, almost exactly in line with the polls/expectations. Only Eastleigh was better for UKIP

John Curtice is being spoke very highly of today. He said on this week that if UKIP got 30% it would be a "remarkable result". Now the spinners are saying that was the benchmark and failure to get it was a poor show!

Wouldnt think anything has changed for next year on the back of this. A hung parliament with UKIP getting no more than 4-5 seats. Diane JAmes looked a bit foolish when she said up to 60 was possible

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Crikey, I just unrepressed Gordon Brown's "Obama beach" moment
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

OK - I'm going to be somewhat controversial here. I think that this result was good for the Lib Dems. (Not actually good, but good for MP incumbency).

If the LD vote in a no-hope seat is as low as 2.5% (and that in a seat which, whilst they were third was by no means a low vote share for them), but they are still polling 10% nationally - then they must be polling reasonably well in there incumbent seats (those voters have to be somewhere...).

Actually, I think it was something simpler. LibDems voters are now - above all - else, anti-UKIPpers.

(By this, I mean the remaining LibDem voters. The NOTA LibDem voters are already Kippers.)

I think their vote in Thurrock (11%), South Thanet (15%), North Thanet (19%) and other 'Kipper strongholds' is going to collapse to 2-3% levels. And a large chunk of this will seek out that party (Labour or Conservative) that is seen as most likely to stop the Kipper surge.

If Lib Dem voters are really anti-UKIP voters then surely they are not Lib Dem voters. They may make it harder for UKIP to win a seat but waht does that say about the LIB Dems as a party?
    As an aside, I think a great many Conservatives in Eastleigh will vote LibDem to stop UKIP.
    I think there are a number of Conservative voters on this board - like JackW and Charles, for example - who have said they would vote LibDem in the event of a UKIP/Con alliance. I do not believe they are alone, and I would be very surprised if the LibDems did not see their vote share increase in Eastleigh from the by-election level.
    I would vote actively against a candidate who enjoyed a Conservative/UKIP coupon. It's like going backward to Michael Howard with knobs on.

And what knobs they are.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,050
    Mr. Eagles, if I had to choose a pair of lays I would've gone for Sharapova and Bouchard.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

That is not correct , the Survation poll found 3 Conservatives out of 87 who voted in the by election changing their vote to Lib Dem at a G .E
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I don't think it says anything about the LibDems as a party. It says something about the remaining LibDem supporters.

Anti-UKIP tactical voting is going to be an absolute disaster for the party.
    Given UKIP's apparent transfer-unfriendliness you'd think Con-Lib-Lab would be up for an evil conspiracy to change the Euro voting system to STV. They should throw that in there with the recall vote thing and present it as another way for the voters to kick out bad individual representatives. (Which it genuinely does provide, although the voters probably wouldn't use it that way.)
    Apparantly d'Hondt favours the big parties.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/2014/05/22/the-fabulous-mr-dhondt/

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

I will genuflect in the prescience of the IMF from now onwards.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:
    You know your spinning is a stretch when you have to use lines like "they didn't even beat their all time best ever result!"
    However, it is a reasonable observation to apply to a party that wishes to thrust forward with the argument that we are a rapidly growing popular movement with tremendous momentum behind us.

By implication the expectation should be for advancement in reasonable sized steps in these early stages.
    Well they increased their vote share by almost 600%!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Newark, and the multitude of excuses, shows us that Labour's 'One Nation' tag is complete bollocks.

What it's shown is that you haven't understood it.
    It's code for being against inequality, draped in a Union Jack.
    But then we know the PB Golden Rule don't we
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    GIN1138 said:

Whether your Tory, Labour, UKIP, Green, Loony, etc...

One thing we can all agree on is that Lib-Dem 2.2% = LOL!

Labour got less than 2.2% in Newbury and Winchester By-Elections in 93 an 97.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I'm a Coalitionista.

Huzzah !!

• Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:
    Over 8,000 votes more than 2010 and 18% better share can hardly be called a disaster. Its about par, almost exactly in line with the polls/expectations. Only Eastleigh was better for UKIP

John Curtice is being spoke very highly of today. He said on this week that if UKIP got 30% it would be a "remarkable result". Now the spinners are saying that was the benchmark and failure to get it was a poor show!

Wouldnt think anything has changed for next year on the back of this. A hung parliament with UKIP getting no more than 4-5 seats. Diane JAmes looked a bit foolish when she said up to 60 was possible

Which 4 to 5 seats will UKIP win?

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    OT EU Lagarde seems to be ruling herself out of the Commission job on the grounds that she already has a job, but a lot of anti-Juncker people seem to want a woman, which they presumably think would be harder for the parliament to block.

So they need a woman with experience in a high-powered international job, familiar with the EU, with a low-key style so she doesn't eclipse the heads of government, good at communicating in English to handle the UK's various issues, yet somehow not doing anything important for the next four years.

Catherine Ashton, please call your office.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

That is not correct , the Survation poll found 3 Conservatives out of 87 who voted in the by election changing their vote to Lib Dem at a G .E
    Which table is that in?

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Eastleigh-constituency-poll.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I agree - making those 5/6 odds from Paddy Power on UKIP winning <1.5 seats (i.e. either zero seats or one seat) look even tastier.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

The greats - Grimsby and Yarmouth, Castle Point, Thurrock and Thanet South perhaps

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited June 2014
    Freggles said:

Newark, and the multitude of excuses, shows us that Labour's 'One Nation' tag is complete bollocks.

A tag line so good, it requires a long winded and condescending explanation.

What a winner!
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I'm a Coalitionista.

Huzzah !!

Good catch. :-)

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Which table is that in?

Table 3
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

The greats - Grimsby and Yarmouth, Castle Point, Thurrock and Thanet South perhaps

So you think Mr Miliband will scrape thru in Doncaster?
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

So you think Mr Miliband will scrape thru in Doncaster?
    He will be on the list of super marginals ;-)

• Options

OT EU Lagarde seems to be ruling herself out of the Commission job on the grounds that she already has a job, but a lot of anti-Juncker people seem to want a woman, which they presumably think would be harder for the parliament to block.

So they need a woman with experience in a high-powered international job, familiar with the EU, with a low-key style so she doesn't eclipse the heads of government, good at communicating in English to handle the UK's various issues, yet somehow not doing anything important for the next four years.

Catherine Ashton, please call your office.

Another triumph for the former chair of Hertfordshire Health Authority?
    *basks in reflected glory*
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,300
    No one (no one sensible, at least) thinks this is anything other than a very good result for UKIP. It demonstrates there is probably 20-25% of the country who identify actively with UKIP and that number may grow.

Unfortunately for UKIP, I think it also demonstrated the beginning of the rise of anti-UKIP tactical voting.

If UKIP is topping out at 30% constituency vote share, and are 'transfer unfriendly', then they will really struggle to win seats.
  • Options
    I think there will be some element of pro-UKIP anti-Labour tactical voting. In northern seats where the Tories struggle many natural Tories may feel they can stop Labour by voting UKIP. We may find a UKIP gain emerging 'unexpectedly' from a Lab/Con marginal where both parties lose support to UKIP for different reasons and from different demographics.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Which table is that in?

Table 3
    ??
    That's 3 2013-LDs switching to Con for the general election, not 3 2013-Cons switching to LD.
  • Options
    Rob1909Rob1909 Posts: 18
    Channel 4 lunchtime news;
    "Tory majority slashed in Newark"
    How po faced!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

Which table is that in?

Table 3
    ??
    That's 3 2013-LDs switching to Con for the general election, not 3 2013-Cons switching to LD.
    My apologies , you are correct .
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

I will genuflect in the prescience of the IMF from now onwards.
    From 2005

Gordon Brown launched a furious assault on the International Monetary Fund at the weekend after the Washington-based organisation threatened to dent Labour's election campaign by insisting spending cuts or tax rises were needed to cut Britain's budget deficit.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2005/apr/18/politics.ukgeneralelection20051

From 2002

IMF warns Brown over spending

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2760297/IMF-warns-Brown-over-spending.html

From 2003

Chancellor Gordon Brown has been warned by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) that he risks breaking his own rules on government borrowing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3333125.stm

There are many more but those three give you a flavour.
  • Options
    Mr. 1909, welcome to the site.

I haven't watched Channel 4 News since the clown Snow claimed not being able to report when and where Harry was in the frontlines amounted to Soviet-style censorship.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, also worth pointing out the IMF were very critical of Osborne's plan, only to perform a swift volte-face.
  • Options
    Today's Populus

Lab 35 Con 34 UKIP 14 LD 9
  • Options

Mr. 1909, welcome to the site.

I haven't watched Channel 4 News since the clown Snow claimed not being able to report when and where Harry was in the frontlines amounted to Soviet-style censorship.

Please use his full name.
    'Left-leaning and about to topple over' Snow
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 30s
    % of aggregate vote at GB by-elections since GE 2010 (update for #Newark): Lab 44%, Con 18%, UKIP 13%, LD 11%

http://t.co/svsOGLOnjQ
  • Options
    The President of the Soviet Union has arrived in Normandy ....

"I come not to annex but to praise ...."
  • Options

Today's Populus

Lab 35 Con 34 UKIP 14 LD 9

Labour surge going well then
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I agree - making those 5/6 odds from Paddy Power on UKIP winning
    I've just stuck £30 on that. Its a nice counterpart to the £20 @ 8-1 I've got on UKIP 2 or more seats.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

Mr. Eagles, also worth pointing out the IMF were very critical of Osborne's plan, only to perform a swift volte-face.

Did said about turn coincide with the arrival of Mme Lagarde?

• Options

Freggles said:

A tag line so good, it requires a long winded and condescending explanation.

What a winner!
    It's good to be all things to all men, unless you're Lib Dems
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I agree - making those 5/6 odds from Paddy Power on UKIP winning

Having looked at these prices this morning the 6/4 on 0 UKIP seats with Ladbrokes looks vaguely tempting, with the option to possibly hedge on Thanet if required. My reservations would be, firstly that the Newark electorate are very different to that of some of the seaside constituencies where the kippers are strong and may not have been subject to the the same degree of immigration. Secondly, it was immediately obvious who the best party in Newark was to stop the purple peril. In seats where it is closer between the blues and reds 30 percent may be enough to win for Ukip if the collapsing Lib Dem vote is shared out equally..
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

Im not saying they will win 4-5, i am saying thats the most they will win

These are their best shots IMO

Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Castle Point
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Great Grimsby
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North Lads
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
  • Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

In Great Grimsby in 2010 UKIP polled 2,043 votes, over 8,000 votes behind the winner.

In Great Yarmouth in 2010, UKIP polled 2,066 votes, over 16,000 votes behind the winner.

UKIP did not fight Castle Point in 2010.

In Thurrock UKIP polled 3,390, over 13,000 votes behind the winner.

In Thanet South UKIP polled 2,529, over 19,000 votes behind the winner.

Great Yarmouth was part of the constituency that elected UKIP's Tom Wise in 2004. Wise was jailed for expenses fraud in 2009. I'm not sure why UKIP would be popular enough there to overturn a 16,000 vote lead.

In Thurrock the Tory majority is only 92. UKIP could possibly gift this to Labour, bringing its desire for Brexit closer by securing the election of an MP bitterly opposed to it. In some way that only UKIPpers understand.

I'm struggling to understand why any of these would be a target. Your best result by poll share last time was the 6% or so in Christchurch. Although that's scant comfort, because the winner's lead over UKIP was also huge - more than 23,000 votes ahead.
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 8s
    #LibDems' GB by-election %-ages since GE 2010 - 9 lost deposits from 16. Only 3 polls higher than 20% #Newark

http://t.co/qMjidIWWTG
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Castle Point
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Great Grimsby
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North Lads
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    Morley and Outwood? No, there will be a mix of UKIP leaning Tories and anti UKIP Tories there. Labour could improve their share of the vote.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    isam said:

isam said:

Socrates said:

ToryJim said:

Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Castle Point
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Great Grimsby
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North Lads
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    The Great Yarmouth seat not on your list, Mr. Sam? An oversight surely.

< Annecdote Alert >

I spoke to my bother last evening. He is not a natural Conservative voter being a retired London Underground train driver and, in his day, a fiery trade unionist. He now lives near Great Yarmouth. From what he told me, I should imagine that the UKIP message will go down very well indeed in that part of the world.

< /Annecdote Alert >
  • Options
    isam said:

Boston & Skegness
    Bromsgrove
    Castle Point
    Dag & Rain
    Dudley North
    Great Grimsby
    Halesown & Rowley Regis
    Morley & Outwood
    Newcastle Under Lyme
    Plymouth Moor View
    S Bas & E Thurrock
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Stoke on Trent South
    Telford
    Thanet North
    Thanet South
    Thurrock
    Walsall North Lads
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE

Oh, OK - sorry for the confusion.

As in my previous post though I'm still a bit bemused as to why any of these could be considered best shots except in a least-worst sense.

The number after each are how many votes behind the winners UKIP were in 2010.

Boston & Skegness - 17,244
    Bromsgrove - 19,608
    Castle Point - 19,806 (although elec calc says 0 votes, so I assume not fought)
    Dag & Rain - 13,614
    Dudley North - 11,007
    Great Grimsby - 8,020
    Halesown & Rowley Regis - 15,291
    Morley & Outwood - 15,758; Ed Balls' seat saved from him by UKIP
    Newcastle Under Lyme - 11,350
    Plymouth Moor View - 10,657
    S Bas & E Thurrock - 16,985
    Staffordshire Moorlands - 16,213
    Stoke on Trent South - 9,953
    Telford - 12,568
    Thanet North - 20,007
    Thanet South - 19,514
    Thurrock - 13,479
    Walsall North Lads - 10,658
    Walsall South - 11,007
    West Bromwich West - 9,046
    Wolverhampton NE - 10,826

One way in which UKIP are clearly differentiated from the others is by the fact that their "best shots" list looks a lot like a LibLabCon "no hopers" list!

Are UKIP contesting Norfolk Enchance?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    TOPPING said:

Watching the very emotional D-Day anniversary coverage from Normandy today, I was struck that it would have been an odd day indeed to be commenting upon a UKIP win at Newark...

If ever there is a day to feel European, today is it.

Peter Allen on Radio5 in France this morning, was excellent, really from the heart. It sounded as uncomposed as I have heard him: "the boys...they were just boys...we should look at our own children and then think of them with rifles thrust into their hands...just boys..."

very moving.
    Peter Allen is great.

One of the VETs on R4 this morning was pointing out that man of those boys in the graveyards of France were even younger than they are declared because they had lied about their age to sign up a year early, as he had done himself. Many would have been as young as my daughter. A really different world and a different generation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lennon said:

I would vote actively against a candidate who enjoyed a Conservative/UKIP coupon. It's like going backward to Michael Howard with knobs on.

And what knobs they are.

Likewise. It would be back to the unhappy days when you agreed the economics but were frankly embarrassed about the social policies and the attitudes to those less successful than themselves.

• Options

The Independent candidate in Newark was just 45 votes short of saving his deposit.

This is why he wanted a recount - there were about half that many votes missing from the totals.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    I tend to agree with Charles where he talks about UKIP and the Tories.
  • Options
    Oh, I remembered while I was sleeping - the help the LibDem campaign got from outside was some phone canvassing. But with so many people having 'free' minutes, that's effectively free now.
This discussion has been closed.