Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes report “surge of money on UKIP” in Newark and no

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes report “surge of money on UKIP” in Newark and no CON bets

There was also a lot of local interest in the 25/1 quoted for The Bus Pass Elvis Party to finish ahead of the Liberal Democrats. One Labour MP, who must remain nameless, popped into the Market Square bookies to have £10 on what would be a humiliating outcome for Nick Clegg.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ukip STUMPED
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    If Ashcrofts GE VI is right UKIP will win by 10% plus.
    It isn't.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Agence France journo in Newark: "I want to interview someone who isn't voting UKIP, but I can't find anyone"."

twitter.com/RogerHelmerMEP/status/473563640168468482
  • Options

Why do you say that?

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Questions for "Shadsy" to answer :

What represents a surge, how many punters and how much ?

I'm minded to cast PBers collective memory on the manipulation of betting markets to achieve some form of momentum - sometimes known here but used extensively in US political markets.

Punters beware.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

It isn't.

How on earth do you reach that conclusion ?!
  • Options
    "It’s hard to argue with the Ashcroft poll"

Hang on sec - didn't the other Newark constituency poll show a much closer result? With only 2 polls, one or other might be an outlier and it is difficult to know for sure. Ideally we would need a few more polls to be more confident of the result.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It all depends on Labour voters. If they decide to switch to UKIP at the last moment the purples could win.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

"Agence France journo in Newark: "I want to interview someone who isn't voting UKIP, but I can't find anyone"."

Given at the least 70-80% of the Newark population won't be voting UKIP I don't think that journo can be looking very hard.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Interesting.

Betting numbers can indicate a lot of things besides odds. Confidence in a given event occurring, or not, inside information, that one side has wealthier or more zealous supporters, that one side (or both) is seeking to manipulate public opinion so that better odds for them lead to a better reality.
  • Options

Why do you say that?

Six points ahead nationally is not enough to hang on in a by election where the swing will be much greater, especially with Labour giving up for third.
    Ashcrofts Marginals poll and Newark poll are completely inconsistent with his latest national poll, and it's way out of line in terms of Con VI with all the other pollsters.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    As a man who bet on UKIP winning when the by-election was first announced, it's hard to see past two polls with comfortable Tory leads. It takes a lot of best case scenarios (MOE, out-performing polls again, surging in final couple of days) to paint a picture where UKIP win.
  • Options

Interesting.

Betting numbers can indicate a lot of things besides odds. Confidence in a given event occurring, or not, inside information, that one side has wealthier or more zealous supporters, that one side (or both) is seeking to manipulate public opinion so that better odds for them lead to a better reality.

It means Shadsy is filling his boots in Newark.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948

Hang on sec - didn't the other Newark constituency poll show a much closer result? With only 2 polls, one or other might be an outlier and it is difficult to know for sure. Ideally we would need a few more polls to be more confident of the result.

I guess seeing as Ashcrofts Westminster polls have been all over the shop, it may have been a bit premature for the Cons to be 1/10... but can he really have got it 15% wrong?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

Ukip STUMPED

JackW; speechless!
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    Had kissed my bet goodbye but it sounds like there's some hope . . .

Early on I took the view that a number of people who would normally vote Labour might vote UKIP, after all tactical voting is a Labour specialty is it not?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Questions for "Shadsy" to answer :

What represents a surge, how many punters and how much ?

I'm minded to cast PBers collective memory on the manipulation of betting markets to achieve some form of momentum - sometimes known here but used extensively in US political markets.

Punters beware.

The reports yesterday was of a singe £8,000 bet on the Conservatives. This is "punters in [Ladbrokes] local shops".

• Options
    isam said:

I guess seeing as Ashcrofts Westminster polls have been all over the shop, it may have been a bit premature for the Cons to be 1/10... but can he really have got it 15% wrong?
    No.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2014
    These reported punters appear rather unwise given 13-2 is widely available with other bookies... Tory prices on oddschecker have been shortening all day too.

I'm with Jack W.

Someone is spinning a line...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2014
    FPT

ToryJim said:

The deficit is down considerably, and has been done at the limit of the politically tolerable. Any attempts to close the gap more rapidly would certainly have lead to greater pain and public resentment and may not have improved the growth situation we are now enjoying. I think the idea that any govt could have repaired the damage in just 4 years is risible.

Quite extraordinary spin. In the Emergency Budget of 2010, HM Chancellor of the Exchequer said that his policies would eliminate the structural deficit by the end of the Parliament. Furthermore, he set a fiscal mandate that net government debt would be falling as a proportion of gross national product by 2013-2014. It seems that the Chancellor was coming up with 'risible' ideas.
    M'Lud, you need to be better informed.

GO set a clear fiscal policy in 2010.

The primary fiscal mandate required the government :

to balance the cyclically-adjusted current budget (CACB) – the amount the Government has to borrow to finance non-investment spending, adjusted for the state of the economy – five years ahead.

The EFO has concluded that the government has consistently complied with this mandate and in its most recent Economic and Fiscal Outlook (EFO) concluded:

We [the OBR] now forecast the surplus in 2018-19 to be 1.5 per cent of GDP

Osborne also set a secondary target:

for public sector net debt (PSND [ex]) to be falling as a share of GDP in 2015-16.

Unlike the primary mandate, this is a single event which can only be measured at the end of the 2015-16 fiscal year. The OBR therefore makes forecasts of whether the government is likely to meet the secondary target. Up to date the forecasts have shown a miss but by narrowing amounts as time has progressed.

The current forecast is as follows

We now expect PSND to peak at 78.7 per cent of GDP in 2015-16, to fall by a small margin in 2016-17 and then to fall more rapidly to 74.2 per cent of GDP by 2018-19. Debt as a share of GDP is lower in each year of our forecast than in December, reflecting lower borrowing and upward revisions to our nominal GDP forecast.

So it is touch and go whether GO will meet the secondary target in year five or year six from 2010.

Everything is about to be turned upside down by the changes being introduced to public finances reporting due to the requirement for the government to introduce in September of this year the changes to GDP and debt/deficit measurement required by ESA 2010.

Even setting aside the proposed changes, and with the assumption that sales of the government's remaining stake in Lloyds Bank Group is likely to be completed by the end of 2015-16, there is a very strong probabilitiy that Osborne will meet his secondary target in a final run at the tape.
  • Options
    First tremors of second major earthquake in Newark. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Why do you say that?

Six points ahead nationally is not enough to hang on in a by election where the swing will be much greater, especially with Labour giving up for third.
    But this by-election is in a safe Conservative seat. In 2010 Mr Mercer got 54% of the vote.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/newark/
  • Options

Why do you say that?

Ashcrofts Marginals poll and Newark poll are completely inconsistent with his latest national poll, and it's way out of line in terms of Con VI with all the other pollsters.
    But this by-election is in a safe Conservative seat. In 2010 Mr Mercer got 54% of the vote.

Swing to UKIP based on Ashcroft GE VI - 14%
    About another 6 or seven needed, and given the nature of by elections and the circumstances of this one......
    Remember Newbury, Christchurch and the like.
    However, I think Ashcrofts GE polling is as wonky as Ed Miliband. So I'm going with the by election polls.
  • Options

These reported punters appear rather unwise given 13-2 is widely available with other bookies... Tory prices on oddschecker have been shortening all day too.

I'm with Jack W.

This is from Ladbrokes. Not UKIP.

• Options
    It is the money the bookies take "on the rail" which counts not the beer money wagered by activists in Newark shops.

As Pulpie correctly points out Shadsy is filling his boots.
  • Options

I'm with Jack W.

This is utter mug money going on UKIP now in light of Ashcroft's poll.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @alstewitn: GERMANY'S MERKEL HAS ASKED FRANCE IF IT IS WILLING TO PUT
    FORWARD IMF'S LAGARDE AS EU COMMISSION CHIEF-SOURCES
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited June 2014

Why do you say that?

Bit of an oxymoron to describe any seat as 'safe' in a by-election. That's true no matter which party is defending. By-elections simply don't follow normal script, which is also why it's dangerous to read too much into them.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Good stuff from Shadsy, it must be hard keeping interest going in the contest.

Betfair punters, on the other hand, don't seem convinced. Given that by-elections do quite often throw up surprises, I think I'd rather be on the 10.0 UKIP than the 1.09 Con available at Betfair at the moment. But probably a Con hold.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Seems funny to back UKIP at 6-1 in Ladbrokes when they are now available at 10 (ie 9-1) on Betfair.
  • Options

Why do you say that?

About another 6 or seven needed, and given the nature of by elections and the circumstances of this one......
    However, I think Ashcrofts GE polling is as wonky as Ed Miliband. So I'm going with the by election polls.
    Hmm. So you assume Lord Ashcroft's Newark poll as a starting point, and then add on a 2010>2014 swing from his national poll? I think your logic chip needs more tea.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Seems funny to back UKIP at 6-1 in Ladbrokes when they are now available at 10 (ie 9-1) on Betfair.

How popular is Betfair?

• Options
    2 of the 5 by-election polls for Eastleigh put the Tories in first place. They came third.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    OblitusSumMe said:

» show previous quotes
    Exactly. Labour proposed the path of deficit reduction we have experienced over the last few years during the 2010 election campaign, and Osborne et al derided them as deficit deniers who would cause a Greek-style loss of confidence in the ability of the UK to pay its debts.

Osborne has either been very lucky in the mild reaction of the markets to the continuing size of the deficit, or he has been successful in pulling off one of the most amazing confidence tricks in the history of economics.

Whichever is the case it's a very long way from what was promised by Cameron and Osborne in the 2010 election campaign.

So would you prefer to be in France, or Spain's or Portugals position?

It really annoys me all these commentators, bloggers etc who think they are so brilliant and the government are so bad. This government has done a remarkable job given the worlds economic position and their inheritance. Just look at how brilliant British companies are doing and how this country is seen as a great place to invest. The UK economy is now flying, unemployment is incredibly low compared to our neighbors, public services are carrying on normally despite the government reducing the workforce by over a million, crime is falling and yet the Government are considered rubbish and people on here saying they voted Tory all their life but will never do again. It staggers me. What Nirvana have they been hoping for. A perverse side of me wants UKIP to actually win the next GE. Good old Nigel wouldn't be able to oppose everything like he does at the EU Parliament and pop down the pub for a pint. It would show them up for what they are.
  • Options

Why do you say that?

Hmm. So you assume Lord Ashcroft's Newark poll as a starting point, and then add on a 2010>2014 swing from his national poll? I think your logic chip needs more tea.

No, my starting point was the 2010 result. Ashcrofts GE poll suggests a 14% swing to UKIP, they would need another 5 or 6, very achievable in a by election.

However, I think Ashcrofts GE polling is suspect given the ridiculous movement over 3 weeks, so I am backing his Newark poll, and expect a Tory hold.
  • Options

Why do you say that?

No, my starting point was the 2010 result. Ashcrofts GE poll suggests a 14% swing to UKIP, they would need another 5 or 6, very achievable in a by election.

However, I think Ashcrofts GE polling is suspect given the ridiculous movement over 3 weeks, so I am backing his Newark poll, and expect a Tory hold.
    My apologies. Clearly I need more tea! :-)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    AndyJS said:

2 of the 5 by-election polls for Eastleigh put the Tories in first place. They came third.

But the polls were always close, and showed a clear trend from Tory to LD and UKIP as the election campaign went on. Show me either of those things in this by-election (a trend to UKIP in this case) - you simply can't.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    currystar said:

A perverse side of me wants UKIP to actually win the next GE. Good old Nigel wouldn't be able to oppose everything like he does at the EU Parliament and pop down the pub for a pint. It would show them up for what they are.

Every time I find myself thinking this I remind myself of the company I'm in in wanting such an outcome, and that usually fixes it.
  • Options
    UKIP wins Newark by 913 votes. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    To win UKIP would probably need to be ahead by about 5,000 votes in the town of Newark itself, since the rural areas will give the Tories a healthy lead.

Edit: perhaps 5,000 is a bit high with a low turnout. More like 3-4,000.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    AveryLP said:

The primary fiscal mandate required the government :

to balance the cyclically-adjusted current budget (CACB) – the amount the Government has to borrow to finance non-investment spending, adjusted for the state of the economy – five years ahead.

The EFO has concluded that the government has consistently complied with this mandate and in its most recent Economic and Fiscal Outlook (EFO) concluded:

We [the OBR] now forecast the surplus in 2018-19 to be 1.5 per cent of GDP

Osborne also set a secondary target:

for public sector net debt (PSND [ex]) to be falling as a share of GDP in 2015-16.

Unlike the primary mandate, this is a single event which can only be measured at the end of the 2015-16 fiscal year. The OBR therefore makes forecasts of whether the government is likely to meet the secondary target. Up to date the forecasts have shown a miss but by narrowing amounts as time has progressed.

The current forecast is as follows

We now expect PSND to peak at 78.7 per cent of GDP in 2015-16, to fall by a small margin in 2016-17 and then to fall more rapidly to 74.2 per cent of GDP by 2018-19. Debt as a share of GDP is lower in each year of our forecast than in December, reflecting lower borrowing and upward revisions to our nominal GDP forecast.

So it is touch and go whether GO will meet the secondary target in year five or year six from 2010.

Everything is about to be turned upside down by the changes being introduced to public finances reporting due to the requirement for the government to introduce in September of this year the changes to GDP and debt/deficit measurement required by ESA 2010.

Even setting aside the proposed changes, and with the assumption that sales of the government's remaining stake in Lloyds Bank Group is likely to be completed by the end of 2015-16, there is a very strong probabilitiy that Osborne will meet his secondary target in a final run at the tape.

For those who need a translation, what Mr Avery is saying is that HMG is borrowing more than ever, the debt is set to continue to rise for the foreseeable future, and nobody has a clue what to do about it.

Interest payments are now running at about £1bn per week and increasing, they are, I think, now the third largest item in government expenditure (after the NHS and Welfare).

However, if we all talk about initials and acronyms and percentages we can pretend that the country is not broke, that Osborne is a good chancellor and this nonsense can go on for ever.
  • Options

Why do you say that?

My apologies. Clearly I need more tea! :-)
    No worries, I need a stiff drink myself!
  • Options
    Maybe a lot of the betting on UKIP is simply wishful thinking by UKIP supporters, similar to the large amounts of bets backing the Yes vote in Scotland to be higher than 55% which seems extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    Scott_P said:

Interesting. I have a lot of time for Mme Lagarde. She may be an arch-federalist, I don't know, but she's likely to be a cautious mover.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Definitely someone that Cameron and Osborne could do business with.

Twitter
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 6m
    Now it appears Merkel has asked France if it would allow Lagarde to be put forward as Commission Pres - would Hollande allow it?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Why haven't Ladbrokes shortened their Kipper price then ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020
    ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

Interesting. I have a lot of time for Mme Lagarde. She may be an arch-federalist, I don't know, but she's likely to be a cautious mover.

The people I know who've met Legarde regard her as economically and intellectually brilliant. If she is appointed it would be the first time the EU chief post has not gone to either a has-been or a never-will-be.

That said: from what I hear, M. Hollande hates Mme Lagarde more than Brown hated Blair. This may simply be Merkel tweaking Hollande's tail, and making it look like he's the one blocking an appointment for personal reasons.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Christine Lagarde is 4/1 with Ladbrokes. I'd rather be laying than backing (as is the case with all of the candidates listed).
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    FPT -

@Perdix

I appreciate that arguing on the Internets is probably a working definition of 'futile', but I think:

‘though this government has had to make some difficult decisions, we are making progress. We’re paying down Britain’s debts.’

is somewhat more damning than a mere slip of the tongue. It's not just a single instance of mispokery.

In terms of debt servicing costs, they're forecast (per HMG's budget report 2014) to rise to £59 billion in 2015-16. That's more than Education, considerably more than Defence and more than half of the NHS budget.

I should point out that I'm not a follower of the blessed St Nigel; just that I no longer consider myself a Conservative.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020

For those who need a translation, what Mr Avery is saying is that HMG is borrowing more than ever, the debt is set to continue to rise for the foreseeable future, and nobody has a clue what to do about it.

Interest payments are now running at about £1bn per week and increasing, they are, I think, now the third largest item in government expenditure (after the NHS and Welfare).

However, if we all talk about initials and acronyms and percentages we can pretend that the country is not broke, that Osborne is a good chancellor and this nonsense can go on for ever.

The UK is not broke.

Or, at least, if the UK is broke then so are:

* The USA
    * China
    * Japan
    and
    * Germany

(Obviously, France, etc., are all bust too, but that goes without saying.)

The UK has twice paid down the debt from more than 2x GDP. It is currently at slightly less than half that level.

If GDP growth is 2%, inflation is 2%, and the government deficit is 3% of GDP, then debt-to-GDP will start declining, albeit modestly.

As a percentage of GDP, interest payments have been above the current level for almost all of the post-war period.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @fitalass

Yes, Dave has a close interest in banking. They would get on like a house on fire, and little Ozzie will be beside himself with glee

"IMF’s Lagarde tells the banking sector what’s what"

http://blogs.blouinnews.com/blouinbeatbusiness/2014/05/27/imfs-lagarde-tells-the-banking-sector-whats-what/
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Those having a pop at GO expect us to

A) Forget about Darling being 100Bn out in 2008 - a single year
    B) Believe that a Gordon Brown govt would have made cuts comparable with the govt - which beggars my belief.
  • Options
    But surely Hollande and his party are already now so unpopular in France that they cannot afford to be seen cutting off their nose to spite their face by trying to block Legarde's appointment if she is interested? Surely seeing someone like Legarde take this post would be a bit of a morale booster for the French at time when their current President and Government are seen as very weak and unpopular at home and abroad?
    rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

The people I know who've met Legarde regard her as economically and intellectually brilliant. If she is appointed it would be the first time the EU chief post has not gone to either a has-been or a never-will-be.

That said: from what I hear, M. Hollande hates Mme Lagarde more than Brown hated Blair. This may simply be Merkel tweaking Hollande's tail, and making it look like he's the one blocking an appointment for personal reasons.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

But surely Hollande and his party are already now so unpopular in France that they cannot afford to be seen cutting off their nose to spite their face by trying to block Legarde's appointment if she is interested? Surely seeing someone like Legarde take this post would be a bit of a morale booster for the French at time when their current President and Government are seen as very weak and unpopular at home and abroad?

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

I think more likely is she will decline, I think she'd more like to be President of France than President of the EU Commission.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The UK is not broke.

Or, at least, if the UK is broke then so are:

* The USA
    * China
    * Japan
    and
    * Germany

(Obviously, France, etc., are all bust too, but that goes without saying.)

The UK has twice paid down the debt from more than 2x GDP. It is currently at slightly less than half that level.

If GDP growth is 2%, inflation is 2%, and the government deficit is 3% of GDP, then debt-to-GDP will start declining, albeit modestly.

As a percentage of GDP, interest payments have been above the current level for almost all of the post-war period.
    That's it, Mr. Robert, keep talking about percentages of acronyms that very few understand. Then everything will be fine.
  • Options
    Coffee House ‏@Spectator_CH 16m
    From @isabelhardman: Tories accidentally leak campaign database http://bit.ly/1mOw3fW
  • Options
    @AndyJS

Think you might be onto something with the Newark town/country split

I think this betting surge is probably because UKIP are outperforming in a) Newark proper and b) Amongst Men.

Given the bookies is in Newark itself, and men gamble more than women (I think ?) this could be the reason...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    corporeal said:

Given at the least 70-80% of the Newark population won't be voting UKIP I don't think that journo can be looking very hard.
    How many won't be voting LibDem? :)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    MikeK said:

I wonder what odds you would get on that. 10,000 to 1 ?

• Options
    Someone better tell him its UKIP who are under performing here... #4%in2010

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 2h
    Who would have thought in 2010 when the Tories entered coalition that they would have to fight hard to hold a 16k majority in a by-election
  • Options
    edited June 2014

AveryLP said:

Mr. Llama

HMG is NOT borrowing "more than ever". The following table sets out HMG's Net Financing Requirement for each of the five fiscal years of this Parliament. Years 1-4 are outturns and the current year are plans.
    Debt Management Office                             
    Outturns for borrowing in Gilts and T-Bills Markets
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Net Gilt New
    Financing Redemptions Net
    £ billion Requirement Borrowing
    2010-11 158.0 38.6 119.4
    2011-12 168.8 49.0 119.8
    2012-13 151.9 52.9 99.0
    2013-14 140.5 51.5 89.0
    2014-15* 141.2 62.2 79.0

*DMO remit for current F/Y
    This shows new borrowing falling in nominal terms from around £120 bn to £80 bn over the five years, which is one way of justifying claims that the "deficit has been reduced by a third" although this is strictly not a measure of the deficit but actual net borrowing from the wholesale international markets.

Any new net borrowing will increase debt but not necessarily the pro-rata cost of borrowing. Borrowing more now at lowest market interest rates and extending the average maturity of gilts on issue will lower interest servicing costs. The above figures, for example, include £20 bn of 'unused' surplus borrowing in 2013-14 carried forward to the current year.

Gilt Redemptions are the amount of debt which is scheduled to be "rolled over" in each year, i.e. previously issued gilts maturing.

Finally as GDP has risen across the five year term, then, in real terms, new borrowing is falling much more rapidly than in nominal terms.
  • Options
    Totally agree with the view that Legarde would like to be President of France, which surely is another reason why it would be politically stupid for Hollande and his party to try and block her appointment to EU if she could be persuaded.
    ToryJim said:

fitalass said:

rcs1000 said:

ToryJim said:

Scott_P said:

I think more likely is she will decline, I think she'd more like to be President of France than President of the EU Commission.
  • Options
    @scottishlabour: 'People are looking for a politics which unites them, not a politics of division' - Gordon Brown #LabourNo #IndyRef http://t.co/4mNYjOmT54

I'm sorry my irony filter has just exploded.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@AndyJS

Think you might be onto something with the Newark town/country split ...

Don't know about that, Mr. Star. I fully expect the Conservatives to win, albeit with a much reduced majority (in percentage of the vote as well as absolute terms), but I don't think the rural areas can be expected to be solid Conservative as they once were. Well, not if rural Sussex is anything to go by - a massive increase in UKIP support around here.
  • Options
    isam said:

Who would have thought in 2010 when the Tories entered coalition that they would have to fight hard to hold a 16k majority in a by-election

The second place will live long in the er memory..
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited June 2014
    currystar said:

False choices make for poor debate.

In simple terms Cameron and Osborne promised to cuterase the deficit by 2015. This they will fail to do. The argument of many of their defenders appears to be that to have attempted to do so would have been to cut "too far and too fast". LOL
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

The second place will live long in the er memory..
    Small steps on the way to victory, we are on the up
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,831
    TGOHF said:

Why haven't Ladbrokes shortened their Kipper price then ?

To tempt more fishes to bite?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    isam said:

Comments like this are plain ridiculous. Any Governing party has a tough job holding a by-election seat.

That we are even considering the possibility that the Conservatives might win their first by-election whilst in power since 1989 might cause you to cut the hyperbole.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Pulpstar said:

@AndyJS

Think you might be onto something with the Newark town/country split ...

Don't know about that, Mr. Star. I fully expect the Conservatives to win, albeit with a much reduced majority (in percentage of the vote as well as absolute terms), but I don't think the rural areas can be expected to be solid Conservative as they once were. Well, not if rural Sussex is anything to go by - a massive increase in UKIP support around here.
    I think there would be a big difference between Newark and rural Sussex. In Sussex UKIP would do a lot better in the rural areas compared to the towns than in somewhere like Notts.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AveryLP said:

Debt Management Office                             
    Net Gilt New
    2010-11 158.0 38.6 119.4
    2011-12 168.8 49.0 119.8
    2012-13 151.9 52.9 99.0
    2013-14 140.5 51.5 89.0
    2014-15* 141.2 62.2 79.0

Avery - isn't that the debt trap there, in your figures?

Net borrowing is declining slowly, but not as quickly as Redemptions are increasing, and so the net financing requirement is forecast to be higher this year than last year.
  • Options

isam said:

Comments like this are plain ridiculous. Any Governing party has a tough job holding a by-election seat.

That we are even considering the possibility that the Conservatives might win their first by-election whilst in power since 1989 might cause you to cut the hyperbole.
    Completely agree. The governing party always has trouble holding by-elections after a couple of years.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The last time an incumbent Government party didn't fight hard enough to hold onto a comfortable majority in a Westminster by-election, Labour then lost a safe Glasgow seat with a majority of over 13k to the SNP because of complacency. A mistake they didn't go onto to repeat in the Glenrothes by-election. Anyone ready to suggest that the Libdems didn't pull out all the stops to hold Eastleigh?
    isam said:

• Options
    @IainDale: More on Tower Hamlets on @LBC right now. An election petition is about to be launched to overturn the Mayoral election.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

@IainDale: More on Tower Hamlets on @LBC right now. An election petition is about to be launched to overturn the Mayoral election.

Listen here:

http://app.musicradio.com/lbclondon/on-air/player/
  • Options
    fitalass said:

The last time an incumbent Government party didn't fight hard enough to hold onto a comfortable majority in a Westminster by-election, Labour then lost a safe Glasgow seat with a majority of over 13k to the SNP because of complacency. A mistake they didn't go onto to repeat in the Glenrothes by-election. Anyone ready to suggest that the Libdems didn't pull out all the stops to hold Eastleigh?

isam said:

Dont shoot the messenger, I am not Lord Ashcroft
  • Options
    isam said:

I think that in 2010 most people would have expected that it would be Labour forcing the Tories to fight hard to hold on in Newark. That's the real news from Newark, but natural that Ashcroft will think of the Tories first.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

currystar said:

In simple terms Cameron and Osborne promised to cuterase the deficit by 2015. This they will fail to do. The argument of many of their defenders appears to be that to have attempted to do so would have been to cut "too far and too fast". LOL
    Nonsense. Osborne took a very well-judged course to reduce the deficit as rapidly as possible, consistent with avoiding a big increase in unemployment. When external factors - notably commodity prices and the Eurozone crisis - meant that forecasts were not met, he very wisely and firmly kept his nerve. He has been proven absolutely right, and we are seeing the fruits of this now. It has been a textbook example of how to deal with the crisis position he inherited, and will be cited as such for a long time to come.

To put it another way, what ACTION did he get wrong? Forget economists' forecasts, focus on actual measures. After all:

"An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today." Laurence J. Peter
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

My Mum worked at Tower Hamlets council for years. I spoke to her about this last night and she said it was widely known a long time ago that elections featuring this individual were bent. Asian men accompanying their wives into the ballot booth and helping them vote etc

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @OblitusSumMe

The sale of RBS would cover up a substantial hole, just as long as any putative investors haven't read "Shredded". (required reading one would have thought)
  • Options
    Dave Tickner ‏@tickerscricket 12m
    Why haven't England Mankaded these Sri Lankans yet? My understanding was that there was nothing the batsman could possibly do to prevent it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    isam said:

Is Lord Ashcroft bitter about something?

Perhaps he wants the money back he wasted on Cameron and Osborne?

• Options
    edited June 2014

currystar said:

Oblitus

Cameron and Osborne did not promise to "erase the deficit by 2015". Produce any documentary or recorded evidence to support that claim.

The Treasury and the DMO publish an Annual Debt Management report each year which sets out four year "Illustrative Financing Projections" with prominent notes emphasising these are not forecasts or targets. These figures are however the nearest we can get to what official borrowing expectations were in 2010. Here are the projections vs. known outcomes.
    DMO 2010 "Illustrative Financing Projections" vs. Outcomes   
    2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    CGNCR Projections 179 148 120 104
    Gilt redemptions 39 49 34 21

Gross Financing requirement 218 197 154 125
    Actual Gross Fin. Req. 158 173 151 144

(Underrun)/Overrun (60) (24) (3) 19
    cumulative (60) (84) (87) (68)
    It is obvious from these figures that Osborne's original 2010 projections have turned out to be broadly accurate. The cumulative underrun of £68 bn is in the circumstances quite remarkable.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Is Lord Ashcroft bitter about something?

Perhaps he wants the money back he wasted on Cameron and Osborne?

Strange thing for him to say as his poll shows the Tories pissing up
  • Options
    edited June 2014

AveryLP said:

Debt Management Office                             
    Net Gilt New
    2010-11 158.0 38.6 119.4
    2011-12 168.8 49.0 119.8
    2012-13 151.9 52.9 99.0
    2013-14 140.5 51.5 89.0
    2014-15* 141.2 62.2 79.0

Avery - isn't that the debt trap there, in your figures?

Net borrowing is declining slowly, but not as quickly as Redemptions are increasing, and so the net financing requirement is forecast to be higher this year than last year.
    Not really at trap although there will be a peak of redemptions in the next parliament. Both Labour and the Coalition have heavily extended the average maturity of outstanding gilt stocks since the recession. This means that debt incurred in response to the economic crisis will be repaid over a much longer timescale than borrowing prior to the crisis.

I am preparing some figures to illustrate this effect which (in due course) I will post on PB.

• Options

Nonsense. Osborne took a very well-judged course to reduce the deficit as rapidly as possible, consistent with avoiding a big increase in unemployment. When external factors - notably commodity prices and the Eurozone crisis - meant that forecasts were not met, he very widely and firmly kept his nerve. He has been proven absolutely right, and we are seeing the fruits of this now. It has been a textbook example of how to deal with the crisis position he inherited, and will be cited as such for a long time to come.

To put it another way, what ACTION did he get wrong? Forget econonists' forecasts, focus on actual measures.

Richard there are two different issues here.

1. Was Osborne right to cut the deficit at a slow and measured pace, as advocated by the Labour front bench, and contrary to his election campaign rhetoric?

2. Was there anything he might have done differently to meet his original deficit reduction timetable, that would not have had awful economic consequences - as warned about by the Labour front bench.

Personally, my answers to the two questions are as follows:

1. No, as Osborne and Cameron rightly pointed out in 2009-10, to cut the deficit too slowly is to push the burden of paying it off onto future generations and is immoral. It is also dangerous in the short-term as it leaves you with no room to manoeuvre in reaction to events - such as any correction to the Chinese economy.

2. The property-owning upper middle classes have been mollycoddled by the Coalition. All of the OBR distributional analyses show that it is the 2nd richest 10% of the population that has done best out of Osborne's budgets. Osborne could and should have introduced some sort of tax on property - a land value tax of some sort - to raise revenue from this part of the population, reduce the deficit and reduce future interest payments.

Furthermore, I think it would have been justified and good politics to have reversed Brown's 2p cut in the basic rate of income tax, a cut that was introduced when his budget was already in deficit, to tie the need for the nation to tighten its belt firmly onto the record of the past Labour government, and to further front-load the pain of reducing the deficit - instead of apparently delaying that necessity to the next Parliament now.

As an aside, Nick Clegg tells people that it was the Eurozone crisis that convinced him of the need to join the Coalition in the national interest. Now you pretend that the Eurozone crisis was unexpected at the time of Osborne's emergency budget, and blew him off course?

That is poppycock. It was clear from the moment the OBR published its initial forecasts that they were based on a fantasy of rapidly expanding exports and rapidly increasing private sector debt. It was pointed out at the time. It was always a con trick.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

currystar said:

Oblitus

Cameron and Osborne did not promise to "erase the deficit by 2015". Produce any documentary or recorded evidence to support that claim.

The Treasury and the DMO publish an Annual Debt Management report each year which sets out four year "Illustrative Financing Projections" with prominent notes emphasising these are not forecasts or targets. These figures are however the nearest we can get to what official borrowing expectations were in 2010. Here are the projections vs. known outcomes.
    DMO 2010 "Illustrative Financing Projections" vs. Outcomes   
    2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14
    CGNCR Projections 179 148 120 104
    Gilt redemptions 39 49 34 21

Gross Financing requirement 218 197 154 125
    Actual Gross Fin. Req. 158 173 151 144

(Underrun)/Overrun (60) (24) (3) 19
    cumulative (60) (84) (87) (68)
    It is obvious from these figures that Osborne's original 2010 projections have turned out to be broadly accurate. The cumulative underrun of £68 bn is in the circumstances quite remarkable.
    Osborne told MPs that Britain had the largest structural budget deficit in Europe at £109bn, he said, with £43bn in debt interest paid back each year.

Capital spending will be £51bn next year, then £49bn, then £46bn and £47bn in 2014-15 – about £2bn a year higher than set out in the budget.

Total public expenditure, which includes debt interest payments, will be £702bn next year, then £713bn, £724bn and £740bn, bringing real terms public spending to the same level as 2008.

Debt interest payments will be lower by £1bn in 2012, £1.8bn in 2013 and £3bn in 2014, a total of £5bn lower over the course of the spending review period

How has he done against his own targets as stated in Oct 2010.
  • Options
    Twitter
    Janan Ganesh ‏@JananGanesh 5h
    Quality of govt = quantity of legislation it passed? Can't believe Labour think this ad is a good idea. pic.twitter.com/NdgXg8wUmY
  • Options
    edited June 2014

As an aside, Nick Clegg tells people that it was the Eurozone crisis that convinced him of the need to join the Coalition in the national interest. Now you pretend that the Eurozone crisis was unexpected at the time of Osborne's emergency budget, and blew him off course?.

To take just that point, yes, it was unexpected. Virtually all growth forecasts for the Eurozone from 2010 for the next four years turned out to be over optimistic.

More generally, you don't have to use hindsight. The OBR have very specifically explained where their forecasts went wrong in 2011/2012:

http://budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/forecast-evaluation-report-october-2012/
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Very well, once you adjust for world economic conditions deteriorating, and very well compared with comparable countries (although none in Europe, apart from Greece, started from as bad a deficit as ours). This is not hard to understand, surely?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

currystar said:

Osborne told MPs that Britain had the largest structural budget deficit in Europe at £109bn, he said, with £43bn in debt interest paid back each year.

Capital spending will be £51bn next year, then £49bn, then £46bn and £47bn in 2014-15 – about £2bn a year higher than set out in the budget.

Total public expenditure, which includes debt interest payments, will be £702bn next year, then £713bn, £724bn and £740bn, bringing real terms public spending to the same level as 2008.

Debt interest payments will be lower by £1bn in 2012, £1.8bn in 2013 and £3bn in 2014, a total of £5bn lower over the course of the spending review period

Pulpie

Can't do the figures now but will answer in next couple of days.

Without the stats in front of me and from memory, there is not going to be a big variance. CapEx will need special one-offs stripping out (e.g. the effect of the Royal Mail pensions transaction on ONS's net investment figures), but I would not be suprised to see the 2010 figures overestimating outcomes.

George has undoubtedly used non-recurring special transactions to keep the public finances under control and much is obscured by National Accounting convention but the story is of 'special transactions' becoming less significant to outcomes as the term has progressed. This is shown by the current year's figures being almost 'clean'!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    edited June 2014
    Only someone completely irrational could now claim that Osborne has not delivered truly stunning results given the situation that he inherited.

What is genuinely concerning is that merely stunning has not been nearly good enough given the absolutely desperate straits we were in. The deficit inherited was the equivalent of fighting a major war and the way our economy and government spending had been shaped (particularly with in work benefits) meant that our structural deficit was extremely difficult to cope with. This is why very rapid growth in recent times is having such a modest effect.

Unfortunately the Brown catastrophe will blight all of our childrens' lives and most of their children in turn. More and more of our tax resources will go to interest payments for a long time to come. This will make the social costs of an ever aging and more infirm population very difficult to deal with.

How do we get out of this mess? Well firstly, and most importantly, we do not elect a Labour government until everyone and anyone responsible for the catastrophe has left the scene. Secondly we hope and pray that we have entered a very, very long period of stable growth that gives us a chance of rebalancing our economy towards some form of sustainability.

I think Osborne has done almost all that could be done and delivered an optimum outcome given the choices. I am just far from persuaded it is going to be enough.

• Options
    "Local punters are queueing up to back UKIP at 6/1 to surprise the pollsters to win Thursday’s Newark by-election, according to Ladbrokes."

Really? Well in that case they'd be well advised to ignore the Magic Sign's odds and head off instead to Betfair where UKIP's current price is 9.6 = 8.17/1 net of commission.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

MikeK said:

I wonder what odds you would get on that. 10,000 to 1 ?

You wouldn't get 10,000 to 1, but that's probably a fairish price. Perhaps 5,000 possible results and +913 UKIP is right at the improbable end of things.

Perhaps Mike could give anyone who actually guessed such a small probability number some sort of forum tag, or a special pot-of-jam image.

My guess - Tories by 777.

(I've backed UKIP though. Not entirely happy that it was wise)

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

currystar said:

Pulpie

Can't do the figures now but will answer in next couple of days.

Without the stats in front of me and from memory, there is not going to be a big variance. CapEx will need special one-offs stripping out (e.g. the effect of the Royal Mail pensions transaction on ONS's net investment figures), but I would not be suprised to see the 2010 figures overestimating outcomes.

George has undoubtedly used non-recurring special transactions to keep the public finances under control and much is obscured by National Accounting convention but the story is of 'special transactions' becoming less significant to outcomes as the term has progressed. This is shown by the current year's figures being almost 'clean'!

Its just any old twaddle Poley, You should be a Scotnat
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Clearly Ladbrokes odds are a reflection of the bets they have received abd the book they are carrying.

However, do punters nationwide or abroad no better than the locals ?

There was also a late rush towards Galloway in Bradford. The bookies caught on a bit late.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Pulpstar said:

Very well, once you adjust for world economic conditions deteriorating, and very well compared with comparable countries (although none in Europe, apart from Greece, started from as bad a deficit as ours). This is not hard to understand, surely?
    arf

cubed

Osborne es merda
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AveryLP said:

You are correct to an extent. My impression of Conservative policy on this was formed by watching one of the Cameron Direct sessions, and of course one should never trust anything not written down. Turning to the Conservative Manifesto for the 2010 general election and the exact text is:
    Ensure macroeconomic stability: We will safeguard Britain’s credit rating with a credible plan to eliminate the bulk of the structural deficit over a Parliament.
    So we have "eliminate the bulk of" which is a lesser commitment than "erase" and "structural deficit" which is a clever piece of wonk-speak which avoids creating a measurable target as no-one can agree on how big the structural deficit is.

Even so, it still looks like a monumental miss by Osborne.

A bit later on in the manifesto we find this gem of a heading: "Urgent action to reduce debt".

Now perhaps you can argue that this is "reduce debt compared to the vast mountain that Balls and Brown would have created", but given the vast increase in the size of the national debt during this Parliament they do now look like an odd choice of words.

Edit: Oh, and did they promise to safeguard the credit rating? Oops.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Pulpstar said:

@AndyJS

Given the bookies is in Newark itself, and men gamble more than women (I think ?) this could be the reason...

This is not actually true.

What is true is that in some forms of gambling males are the majority and in others female are.

An example of a female majority is online fruit machines for example where stats I have seen clearly show a leaning towards the female gender.

However I would suspect that men are certainly the majority of visitors to betting shops

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Pulpstar said:

"Very well, once you adjust for world economic conditions deteriorating. This is not hard to understand, surely?"

Excellent answer , Richard. Can all future Chancellors use the same excuse ?

Somehow, I notice you do not give Darling the same room for manouvre despite the recession which virtually the entire world [ certainly the western world ] went into.

Was Brown and Darling also responsible for the collapse of Lehmann Bros. , bailing out Gen Motors, AIG, Citibank etc. etc. ?
This discussion has been closed.