Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds that people are a lot more negative and less p

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov finds that people are a lot more negative and less positive about UKIP now compared with last Euro elections in 2009

The pollster that came top in the EP14 polling accuracy table, YouGov, has issued comparative data about whether people feel positive or negative about UKIP compared with five years ago when they beat LAB for 2nd place in the Euro elections.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Could Team Purple be de-detoxifying Team Blue by proxy?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,508
    GIN1138 said:

Could Team Purple be de-detoxifying Team Blue by proxy?

Yeah, Mr Observer made that point last week.
  • Options
    UKIP = The Millwall of British Politics?

No one likes them but they don't care
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948
    @MIkeSmithson

Another thread suggesting UKIP arent doing so well, this time using You Gov to back it up...

Have UKIP ever had a better YouGov Westminster VI than last nights 17%?
  • Options
    In the last thread, Anti-Frank ask's whether King Charles should get a Coronation Ceremony, given "most of Europe" doesn't bother.

*TUT*
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

In the last thread, Anti-Frank ask's whether King Charles should get a Coronation Ceremony, given "most of Europe" doesn't bother.

*TUT*

He'll be King George
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

Yes.

Here is why

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10871063/Queen-goes-riding-on-anniversary-of-coronation-as-Spains-King-Juan-Carlos-abdicates.html
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FPT, but I think more relevant to this one:
    antifrank said:

UKIP mentioned 29 million for the same reason that Tony Blair mentioned 45 minutes. The intention was that it should be taken at face value.

A better example is that the reason was the same as the reason Clegg mentioned 3 million jobs.

Of course, Clegg plucking a misleading figure out of the air is proof of LibLabCon lying.

UKIP plucking a misleading (or downright untrue, in the case of the '26 million people in the EU wanting your job' poster) figure out of the air is proof of UKIP's honesty and plain-speaking, that they are not like other politicians.

It's hard to see this disconnect lasting for long. As with the Cleggasm: easy inflate, easy deflate.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Have we the lib dem figures yet ;-)
  • Options
    On topic, its probably because 5 years ago, Labour supporters thought UKIP were a useful weapon to defeat the Tories and didnt worry about them

Now that UKIP take quite equally from all parties, scared loyalists have a more negative view

29% positive in 2009 but VI 1-2%
    22% positive in 2014 but VI 15-20%

Disaster
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Not surprising given the smear campaign gone on against them. It's especially stupid from the Conservatives, as they could have used a future merger as a way of resetting the brand. Now they've locked in division and toxicity across the right.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Surely the reason for the increasing distaste for UKIP is greater familiarity?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I'll always be a trusty friend of fruitcake and will never forsake it.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

Yes.

Here is why

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10871063/Queen-goes-riding-on-anniversary-of-coronation-as-Spains-King-Juan-Carlos-abdicates.html
    You have to marvel at Her Majesty's resolve and resilience. It's extraordinary to think her first Prime Minister was Churchill.

What a marvel.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Makes sense, media pressure having the dual effect of holding down the total size at the cost of cementing the core.
  • Options
    As I and others noted, the other thing from UKIP's rise this parliament has been those wishing to remain in the EU have taken the lead from those wanting to leave.

UKIP = Polarising.
  • Options

As I and others noted, the other thing from UKIP's rise this parliament has been those wishing to remain in the EU have taken the lead from those wanting to leave..

I think that is more likely to be caused by the fact the news bulletins haven't been full of stories of Eurozone meltdown recently, rather than anything to do with the Kippers.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

Yes.

Here is why

You have to marvel at Her Majesty's resolve and resilience. It's extraordinary to think her first Prime Minister was Churchill.

What a marvel.
    She's been an absolute disgrace in my view. She has failed to protect British sovereignty and don't even get me started on the rumours about Princes Andrew and Edward.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

Yes.

Here is why

What a marvel.
    don't even get me started on the rumours about Princes Andrew and Edward.
    Oh, do go on.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Not surprising given the smear campaign gone on against them. It's especially stupid from the Conservatives, as they could have used a future merger as a way of resetting the brand. Now they've locked in division and toxicity across the right.

UKIP are exactly the bits of the brand they want to be shot of.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    isam said:

@MIkeSmithson

Another thread suggesting UKIP arent doing so well, this time using You Gov to back it up...

All the online pollsters underweight UKIP imo.

Yougov's 17 involved a bit less of that than normal.

Ashcroft's 19% is closish to the mark I reckon:

See here for some rough & ready & probably slightly wrong statistical analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1roY-VuzAUre3K5Tp74sf-sknXmfRPXaIoqtoPc7HMaA/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

Yes.

Here is why

What a marvel.
    She's been an absolute disgrace in my view. She has failed to protect British sovereignty and don't even get me started on the rumours about Princes Andrew and Edward.
    The Queen doesn't rule. She can't really be held responsible for the loss of sovereignty.

• Options

As I and others noted, the other thing from UKIP's rise this parliament has been those wishing to remain in the EU have taken the lead from those wanting to leave..

I think that is more likely to be caused by the fact the news bulletins haven't been full of stories of Eurozone meltdown recently, rather than anything to do with the Kippers.
    Prior to this year, leave led remain with YouGov, then this year, Remain has led.

I'm thinking it is down to Nick Clegg's heroic defence of the EU.
  • Options
    On topic, it doesn't really matter if more people view UKIP negatively, if in turn, more people vote for them.

Far better to be both admired and hated (as Margaret Thatcher was) than to have people viewing you with indifference.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

@MIkeSmithson

Mr Isam, For be it from me to even try and answer for OGH, but it does seem that you are missing some very clear and obvious points.

Firstly, 22/05/14 was a disaster for UKIP. There can be no denying this. They may have come top of the Euorpean elections, but they only attracted 9% of the electorate (the fact that the "major" parties attracted even less, need not concern us).

Secondly, when we look at the share of the vote that UKIP attracted in the Locals on 22/05/14 the scale of their disaster becomes even clearer. They may have won lots of seats, they may have topped 30% in areas that they had never contested before, they may have attracted more votes than the Lib Dems by a considerable margin. None of that matters, what you need to understand is that on a projection their national share of the vote plummeted like a paralysed falcon, possibly down to as low as 17%. The Lib Dems meanwhile remain a major party regularly attracting the high single figures in national polls.

Thirdly, UKIP have no MPs and cannot therefore be in anyway considered a serious party. That might have been said about the Labour party at one stage (before they stuffed the Liberals off the mainstream of UK government), but that is not the point.

Finally, UKIP can never achieve anything because, as we were told on this very site just this morning, UKIP voters are all people of low education and low self-esteem. Oh, and one of their candidates has a moustache.

So stop all this nonsense and get back to voting for one of the "Major" parties. If plebs like you are allowed to go around voting for just anyone, well, who knows where it might lead. Just remember Clegg and Cable were in a boozer before midday, that goes to show what normal chaps they are and how much they understand how little people feel.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    What Ukip need are a few personable kippers to be seen on the telly.

I remember years ago (as an old git, I can say that), when Ken Livingstone was an up and coming politician. The Tory press made him out to be a rabid, slavering beast, a soul mate of Vlad the impaler and Dracula (now where did they come from?).

But what the public saw when he first appeared on TV was a charming, if committed, man with a few radical ideas. So despite the wall of derision, he prospered. OK, the mask has maybe slipped a bit since, but the point remains.

If Ukip push forward a few bright, preferably young and preferably female (I was going to add 'attractive' but the BBC would blow a fuse), possibly ethnic and with the odd gay spokespersons (the BBC would love the last two categories), the insults will wither away.

The best time is in September at their conference, when the policies might get a decent hearing - if the spokespersons are appropriately BBC-friendly. And let's be honest, the BBC remains the most important outlet.
  • Options
    Do we have these charts for all parties ?

• Options

Prior to this year, leave led remain with YouGov, then this year, Remain has led.

In 2012, there was a very big lead with Yougov for leaving the EU. That must be related to the Eurozone's problems. Back in May 2009, the majority for leaving was 2%. Now it's 2% the other way.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    4 months of overwelming negative press tends to produce that result.
    Its more certain that people who like them vote for them but more certain that people who hate them vote against them.
    The irony is that there might be lefties voting Conservative to keep UKIP out.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited June 2014

As I and others noted, the other thing from UKIP's rise this parliament has been those wishing to remain in the EU have taken the lead from those wanting to leave.

UKIP = Polarising.

If you look at the other EU questions in the survey, that's not so clear.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/xj26ho1jhx/EP-trends-2009-14.pdf

The numbers thinking that trade, and climate change policy should be set at a national rather than EU level have increased.

And the question on leaving the EU "The UK should withdraw completely from the European Union" suggests a third option. I believe the general preference is for a free trade deal.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They only asked about UKIP and the BNP

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,809
    Sean_F said:

On topic, it doesn't really matter if more people view UKIP negatively, if in turn, more people vote for them.

Far better to be both admired and hated (as Margaret Thatcher was) than to have people viewing you with indifference.

I knew that M. Mitterrand had said of Mrs T that "She has the eyes of Caligula but the mouth of Marilyn Monroe", but I didn't know that the emperor and the Iron Lady shared the same dictum, "Oderint dum metuant" [let them hate [me] so long as they fear [me]]?

• Options
    Sean_F said:

In 2012, there was a very big lead with Yougov for leaving the EU. That must be related to the Eurozone's problems. Back in May 2009, the majority for leaving was 2%. Now it's 2% the other way.

I wonder what the Scottish vs rUK split is on the EU. I think they're more pro European than England certainly.

Would it be enough to flip it back to an absolute coinflip if they were to split ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2014
    It's no wonder that sometimes UKIP takes a hit in the popularity stakes after a full year of anti-UKIP propaganda by the MSM and most in the Westminster bubble; ending with 6 weeks of pure venom and hate 24/7 from the same upstanding firms.
  • Options

FPT, but I think more relevant to this one:

antifrank said:

UKIP mentioned 29 million for the same reason that Tony Blair mentioned 45 minutes. The intention was that it should be taken at face value.

A better example is that the reason was the same as the reason Clegg mentioned 3 million jobs.

Of course, Clegg plucking a misleading figure out of the air is proof of LibLabCon lying.

UKIP plucking a misleading (or downright untrue, in the case of the '26 million people in the EU wanting your job' poster) figure out of the air is proof of UKIP's honesty and plain-speaking, that they are not like other politicians.

It's hard to see this disconnect lasting for long. As with the Cleggasm: easy inflate, easy deflate.
    Haha keep those fingers crossed Richard!

Please make them go away!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hmmmm...
  • Options

Socrates said:

UKIP are exactly the bits of the brand they want to be shot of.
    Would you have preferred HMQ to have staged a coup d'etat and turn the clock back to before Cromwell?

I think she's done her best and has been a tremendous source of continuity. It's not her fault she's been let down by one useless government after another.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It's all down to Clegg and Dave's plan for a plebiscite in 2017.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Why is it that almost all male monarchs in Britain are called George even if their actual name is different?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

I wonder what the Scottish vs rUK split is on the EU. I think they're more pro European than England certainly.

Would it be enough to flip it back to an absolute coinflip if they were to split ?
    The impression I had from recent polling was that there was already a tendency to leave, and it would be given a small boost if the Scots departed. Fairly small margins, but the Scots were (relatively) Europhilic enough for their departure to make a noticeable difference.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmmmm...
    Ipsos-Mori do some like/dislike polling for all the parties, last one was last August I think
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They did have a "There is no real difference these days between Britain’s three
    main parties – Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrats".
    2009: +46/-35
    2014: +44/-33

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

I knew that M. Mitterrand had said of Mrs T that "She has the eyes of Caligula but the mouth of Marilyn Monroe", but I didn't know that the emperor and the Iron Lady shared the same dictum, "Oderint dum metuant" [let them hate [me] so long as they fear [me]]?

But Carnyx, you cannot fear College. He is a nuisance not a threat.

The worst he can do to the country is to spill beer on their suits or flick fag ash into their soup.

UKIP adds farce to the political mix, not tragedy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So only consider backing UKIP at shortish odds in a constituency if it's a triangular fight. In any one-on-one battle, they will probably lose on tactical votes.
  • Options

isam said:

@MIkeSmithson

Mr Isam, For be it from me to even try and answer for OGH, but it does seem that you are missing some very clear and obvious points.

Firstly, 22/05/14 was a disaster for UKIP. There can be no denying this. They may have come top of the Euorpean elections, but they only attracted 9% of the electorate (the fact that the "major" parties attracted even less, need not concern us).

Secondly, when we look at the share of the vote that UKIP attracted in the Locals on 22/05/14 the scale of their disaster becomes even clearer. They may have won lots of seats, they may have topped 30% in areas that they had never contested before, they may have attracted more votes than the Lib Dems by a considerable margin. None of that matters, what you need to understand is that on a projection their national share of the vote plummeted like a paralysed falcon, possibly down to as low as 17%. The Lib Dems meanwhile remain a major party regularly attracting the high single figures in national polls.

Thirdly, UKIP have no MPs and cannot therefore be in anyway considered a serious party. That might have been said about the Labour party at one stage (before they stuffed the Liberals off the mainstream of UK government), but that is not the point.

Finally, UKIP can never achieve anything because, as we were told on this very site just this morning, UKIP voters are all people of low education and low self-esteem. Oh, and one of their candidates has a moustache.

So stop all this nonsense and get back to voting for one of the "Major" parties. If plebs like you are allowed to go around voting for just anyone, well, who knows where it might lead. Just remember Clegg and Cable were in a boozer before midday, that goes to show what normal chaps they are and how much they understand how little people feel.
    Haha well said

Yes Ill vote Conservative or Labour I think, as I disagree with them on almost everything!
  • Options
    Youve proved my point

It says the government "will allow" not "will come"
  • Options
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Why is it that almost all male monarchs in Britain are called George even if their actual name is different?
    Tradition I think.

Personally I think Charles' Regnal should reflect modern Britain.

So I propose he becomes King Mohammed I.

Will do wonders for relations with the Muslim world.
  • Options

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

I would prefer King Gideon.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    On topic, the reason for this is that people only dislike things when they are a relevant threat

Its why Middle class luvvies like mass immigration, it doesnt affect them negatively at all
    Its why working class people arent so keen, it has the potential to ruin their lives

As an Arsenal fan, I generally dont think much about or have a negative view of Spurs. But when Bale was banging in worldies every game and they were above us in the league, I absolutely hated them.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

Oh, they'll go away, no doubt about that. The question is, how much damage will they do in the meantime? Will they last long enough to put the two Eds into Nos 10 and 11 and cement ever-closer union by scuppering the referendum? If so, long enough beyond that to divide the opposition to what will by then be an excruciatingly unpopular Labour government to an extent which allows Labour to win in 2020 as well?

Dunno.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    antifrank said:

So only consider backing UKIP at shortish odds in a constituency if it's a triangular fight. In any one-on-one battle, they will probably lose on tactical votes.

Thats my thinking too. Its all about the marginals for UKIP
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That one is true isn't it? There's 29 million people with Bulgarian or Romanian passports that the UK government have cleared to come to Britain.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

In the Newark polls we've seen there is no evidence of an anti-UKIP tactical vote.

• Options

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

I'd prefer something Biblical, like Zerubbabel, Prince of the People.

Or perhaps Saxon, like Wiglaf.

• Options
    Looking at the survey, there is the same pattern for the Green party (they only asked for 3 parties).
    I wonder if it's a general thing, plus contradictory statements of Britain benefiting from different cultures which is up and Islam is a danger for civilization which is also up.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Maybe in 2009 different events were happening - small insignificant events such as the MPs expenses scandal and the recession where it appeared that Europe was smashing Ireland and other countries to pieces.

Kellner is being disingenuous in comparing 2009 with 2014.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

But Carnyx, you cannot fear College. He is a nuisance not a threat.

The worst he can do to the country is to spill beer on their suits or flick fag ash into their soup.

UKIP adds farce to the political mix, not tragedy.
    That made me laugh! The thought of Mr Farage as something out of Plautus's comedies ... I was thinking more of Mrs T, actually. But now you mention it, the polling on attitudes to UKIP is actually rather interesting given the likely key target demographics of the Scottish indyref. Early days yet, and we first have the summer hols and the footie and the Games (panem et circenses indeed). And Mr Llama has a point with his view on the importance of UKIP, which applies mutatis mutandis to Scotland. However, it certainly adds another ingredient to the mix.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

You realise the number of times some wag will squeeze a "Al" between Mohammed and "I" will be in the high millions bazillions.
  • Options
    isam said:

Youve proved my point

For completeness, the text is:

Next year,

the EU will allow

29 million Bulgarians and Romanians to come to the UK

Did 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians come to the UK?

• Options

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

At one point there will be a George XVI, I wonder if there will be a revolution under his reign.
  • Options

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

No. And UKIP didn't claim they would. They claimed they would be allowed. And they were allowed. This isn't difficult.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

Oh, they'll go away, no doubt about that. The question is, how much damage will they do in the meantime? Will they last long enough to put the two Eds into Nos 10 and 11 and cement ever-closer union by scuppering the referendum? If so, long enough beyond that to divide the opposition to what will by then be an excruciatingly unpopular Labour government to an extent which allows Labour to win in 2020 as well?

Dunno.
    Cant you see, Richard, that people voting UKIP think we already have an excruciatingly unpopular government? Thats why they are voting UKIP.

• Options

isam said:

Dunno.
    If UKIP do keep the Conservative Party out of power, that's a problem of the Conservatives' own making.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Socrates said:

That one is true isn't it? There's 29 million people with Bulgarian or Romanian passports that the UK government have cleared to come to Britain.
    Yes, it's a political poster. UKIP is a political party which makes dishonest points using dodgy statistics. Just like Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Even that was factually incorrect

Well, the population is only 27-and-a-half million of the two of them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/08/anna-soubry-slams-nigel-farage_n_4238815.html
  • Options

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

When I go to a bar full of attractive women, I will allow 100% of them to come back to my place

Do they all come home with me?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

When I go to a bar full of attractive women, I will allow 100% of them to come back to my place

Do they all come home with me?
    If you use my chat up lines, then they all will come back with you.

My chat up lines are as awesome as my taste in music and shoes.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Actually it is more the case in recent times that the Sovereign chooses a different regnal name - Albert - George VI .. Albert - Edward VII .. Alexandrina - Victoria.

Unless the Prince of Wales predeceases his mother he will have on his mothers death until the Accession Council meets to determine whether to accede as King George VII as some speculation has considered or King Charles III or indeed some other regnal name of his choosing.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

Dunno.
    Cant you see, Richard, that people voting UKIP think we already have an excruciatingly unpopular government? Thats why they are voting UKIP.

No, Sam.

That is how they attempt to justify a vote for UKIP.

Their reason is to rage against the dying of the light.

• Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

No. And UKIP didn't claim they would. They claimed they would be allowed. And they were allowed. This isn't difficult.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3466005.stm
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014
    The Prince of Wales will take the regnal name Charles III. George VI took George as his regnal name in order to stress the continuity between his reign and that of his father. The circumstances in 1937 were extraordinary. The second point is that people know so little history today that most will no longer consider another Charles a bad idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

I see an incoherent and unfocused rage from people who, despite the fact that we have the best peacetime government, other than Maggie's, for 50 years, seem already to have forgotten what the last one was like and don't seem concerned about undoing all the progress which has been made in extremely difficult circumstances, and who - amazingly - want to scupper the referendum which they claim to want.

That's fine, it's a democracy. If you can face the damage the two Eds will do to the country, and don't want a referendum, that's your democratic prerogative. But I don't think it will survive much contact with the reality post 2015, if, God forbid, we do slide backwards into Milibandism.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

isam said:

Dunno.
    Richard_Nabavi is only interested in his turquoise coloured navel; he thinks a tree grows out of it.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I very much doubt 100% of Bulgarian or Romanian citizens hold passports, let alone the 105% claimed......

• Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Dunno.
    If UKIP do keep the Conservative Party out of power, that's a problem of the Conservatives' own making.

UKIP will probably be one of the factors that keep the Conservatives out in 2015, however the other factors like the united left and the Tory brand being trash since 1992 will still remain.
    But you can solve factors number 1 and 3 by merging UKIP and the Conservatives in a new party under a new name, it worked before it can work again.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

isam said:

Dunno.

No, Sam.

That is how they are attempting to justify voting UKIP.

Free marketeers should be able to understand this

If the Conservative led Govt was popular, 2010 Cons wouldn't vote UKIP

Its not UKIP's fault the Conservatives are losing votes and members, thats like Sainsburys blaming Tesco for shoppers preferring Tesco

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

No they did not. I am allowed to go Milton Keynes whenever I like. The fact that I choose not to and have no interest in going to Milton Keynes is beside the point. The fact is that I am allowed to if I want.

As such the UKIP claim was absolutely accurate. The fact that 29 million people did not immediately jump on a place or train and take up the right does not change the fact that that right was there. More importantly nor does it change the fact that we have now opened up our jobs market to a further 29 million people.

Eagles was lying on the last thread, he knew it and he still chose to make a statement that was factually untrue.

Mind you as we have seen from other Tories on here, 'facts' and the truth are not their greatest priority unfortunately.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    The British Monarchs since the Union with Scotland have all used their birth name as their regnal name with the following exceptions:

Alexandrina Victoria reigned as Queen Victoria.
    Albert Edward reigned as King Edward VII.
    Albert Frederick Arthur George reigned as King George VI.

The Prince of Wales is Charles Philip Arthur George and is generally expected to reign as King George VII, though I doubt the tabloids will let that happen. He'll surely be King Charlie-boy to them.

I would think that if Charles does reign as King George VII then he will be the last British monarch in many generations to change his name upon taking the throne. Prince George was surely so named so that he could take that name to the throne without any such faffing about, and there's not the same negative connotations to a King William V as there would be with a King Charles III.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

They'd already been allowed to "come to the UK" since 2004 - had they? As you observe "this isn't difficult"....

• Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

I see an incoherent and unfocused rage, which, despite the fact that we have the best peacetime government, other than Maggie's, for 50 years, seems already to have forgotten what the last one was like and doesn't seem concerned about undoing all the progress which has been made in extremely difficult circumstances, and which - amazingly - wants to scupper the referendum which they claim to want.

That's fine, it's a democracy. If you can face the damage the two Eds will do to the country, and don't want a referendum, that's your democratic prerogative. But I don't think it will survive much contact with the reality post 2015, if, God forbid, we do slide backwards.
    "the fact that we have the best peacetime government, other than Maggie's, for 50 years,"

Your opinion., this is the point you are missing. Others disagree

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited June 2014
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Dunno.

But you can solve factors number 1 and 3 by merging UKIP and the Conservatives in a new party under a new name, it worked before it can work again.
    I like to think that the saner Tories wouldn't welcome the bigots back into the fold.

Besides, the Kippers who deserted Labour wouldn't be happy with a merger. They'll scuttle away.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

You realise the number of times some wag will squeeze a "Al" between Mohammed and "I" will be in the high millions bazillions.
    I maybe denser than usual, but I don't get that.

Can you explain.
  • Options

The second point is that people know so little history today that most will no longer consider another Charles a bad idea.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to remind them.....
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Socrates said:

Yes, it's a political poster. UKIP is a political party which makes dishonest points using dodgy statistics. Just like Nick Clegg.
    Clegg said 3m jobs were "at risk"

Did UKIP say there was "a risk" of 29m coming?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    The europhile political class added lots of poor countries to the EU with the right of free movement to the UK and want to add more.

They don't like it pointed out.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

Can you explain.
    A king who floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee would be quite a novelty.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Dunno.

I don't think the saner Tories will welcome the bigots back into the fold.

Besides, the Kippers who deserted Labour won't be happy with any merger.
    Most of the saner Conservatives have already abandoned the Cameroon party. Why would they want to re-merge with a broken, discredited brand like the Tory party?
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

This UKIP poster implied they would

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276334/Article/images/20989835/6031971-large.jpg
  • Options

Socrates said:

I very much doubt 100% of Bulgarian or Romanian citizens hold passports, let alone the 105% claimed......

Fair enough. With Romanian or Bulgarian citizenship then. And it's not 105%. You realise there are Romanian and Bulgarian citizens living outside Romania and Bulgaria, right?
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

They'd already been allowed to "come to the UK" since 2004 - had they? As you observe "this isn't difficult"....

No. 29 million Romanians and Bulgarians were not allowed to come in 2004.
  • Options
    isam said:

"the fact that we have the best peacetime government, other than Maggie's, for 50 years,"

Yes, I know they do. But economic growth, improved education, progress on the EU, sorting out welfare, getting public procurement more efficient, and sorting out the public finances don't happen by themselves, and can very, very easily slide backwards and start getting worse again.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Anorak said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

Can you explain.
    Imagine a poster or advert featuring "The Coronation of King Mohammed I". A joker writes (or sprays) "AL" making it Mohammed ALI. LOLs all round, etc. Mohammed Ali was a boxer of some reknown. Has his own Wiki page and everything.

Jeez, these things are less funny when you have to explain them in excruciating detail.
  • Options

isam said:

Yes, I know they do. But economic growth, improved education, progress on the EU, sorting out welfare, getting public procurement more efficient, and sorting out the public finances don't happen by themselves, and can very, very easily slide backwards and start getting worse again.

What profess on the EU? We give more money and more powers to Brussels than we did in 2010.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anorak said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

Can you explain.
    A king who floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee would be quite a novelty.
    Oh, the boxer.

Thanks.

Yes, that's very funny Mr Anorak.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

isam said:

Youve proved my point

Next year,

the EU will allow

we have now opened up our jobs market to a further 29 million people.
    The working age population of Bulgaria and Romania is 29 million?

At least you don't fall into the "will be allowed" inexactitude - they had "been allowed" since 2008....

• Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

This UKIP poster implied they would

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276334/Article/images/20989835/6031971-large.jpg
    That is the total number of unempolyed in the EU, nothing to do with Romanians or Bulgarians (apart from the unemployed ones)

I made that mistake in an argument with Observer

• Options
    edited June 2014
    isam said:

AveryLP said:

isam said:

isam said:

Dunno.

No, Sam.

That is how they are attempting to justify voting UKIP.

Free marketeers should be able to understand this

If the Conservative led Govt was popular, 2010 Cons wouldn't vote UKIP

Its not UKIP's fault the Conservatives are losing votes and members, thats like Sainsburys blaming Tesco for shoppers preferring Tesco

It's more complicated than that, it all started with europe in the 1950's, should we stay in or out for economic or foreign policy reasons? Which blasted it's way to the surface from time to time in 1975 and 1985 and then it removed Thatcher which split the base of the Tory party. In time that split created UKIP which grew as the Tories moved to the center in coalition and filled the vacuum on the right. It's not that they are popular or not, it's that they appeal to liberals not conservatives anymore.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

*TUT*

He'll be King George
    Tradition I think.

Can you explain.
    Imagine a poster or advert featuring "The Coronation of King Mohammed I". A joker writes (or sprays) "AL" making it Mohammed ALI. LOLs all round, etc.

Jeez, these things are less funny when you have to explain them in excruciating detail.
    It is funny, if I wasn't watching the cricket and working, I'd have gotten the joke quicker.
This discussion has been closed.