Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s Newark poll: Tories set to win easily

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft’s Newark poll: Tories set to win easily

The by election poll is just out

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited June 2014
    Nice error message! Hang on to the outlier...

Dan Hodges‏@DPJHodges·2 mins
    I like Lord Ashcroft. But his weekly national polls are all over the place at the moment. Something wrong with the methodology there.

George Eaton @georgeeaton
    Tories on course to win first by-election in power since Richmond in 1989 (Hague). But nine points behind Labour in Ashcroft national poll.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Re. Lord A's national poll;

From what I can see 25% is the lowest vote share the Conservatives have had in a national opinion poll since December 2001;

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-2001-2005

So Con effectively at a 13 year low with less than a year to go to a general election.

Not ideal, to say the least.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited June 2014
    Lord Ashcroft's write up.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/06/tories-set-hold-newark/

Con 42%, UKIP 27%, Lab 20%.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The swing in Newark in Ashcroft's poll is a mere 5% from Conservative to Labour. Labour will want to be doing better than that.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    In the last week the polls do seem to have moved against Con.

Last week's YouGov average was a Lab lead of 4.0. Week before was 2.0. Week before that 1.8. Before that 3.0.

Today's Populus is Lab lead 5. Now Ashcroft says Lab lead 9.

Bit strange as I'm not sure what has happened in the last week that would cause such a move - OK we've had the Euro results but is that sufficient explanation? I don't really think so - especially as UKIP is also taking votes from Lab.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    FPT
    So far the Ashcroft poll have been all over the place from a lead of 2 for the tories to a lead of 9 for Labour in 15 days. I mean, really?

Unless they can settle down a bit they really are not going to be much use.
  • Options
    Blimey, I seem to agree with Dan Hodges. Still think it is a valid point though.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Chart now fixed.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2014
    If Baron Ashcroft is underestimating the Tories nationally as seems to be the case, does it follow that he is underestimating the Tories in Newark?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932

The swing in Newark in Ashcroft's poll is a mere 5% from Conservative to Labour. Labour will want to be doing better than that.

I reckon alot of Labour voters are heading off for a tactical UKIP vote in Newark - sounds like Labour is soft pedalling there.

Not a good strategy but might explain the disconnect a bit.
  • Options
    Did Farage unwittingly make a massive error in his interview with Marr yesterday?

He said UKIP would target "two dozen, three dozen seats" at the GE.

Now if UKIP is saying to OFCOM that it must have "Major Party status" at the GE then he might have made a massive own goal - because if UKIP are actually a "Major Party" then they should be targeting a far, far higher number of seats.

Of course we all know in practice that winning even one dozen seats would be a huge ask - but in terms of lobbying OFCOM there is a massive inconsistency.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    Didn't the Eastleigh polls underestimate UKIP support there? (per last week's thread?)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT
    So far the Ashcroft poll have been all over the place from a lead of 2 for the tories to a lead of 9 for Labour in 15 days. I mean, really?

I've been meaning to do a proper statistical analysis of opinion polling to estimate how much variability you would expect from poll-to-poll from sampling errors alone - ie assuming no underlying change in opinion.

It could be that the Ashcroft Poll is given you a genuine measure of the uncertainty, and the other polls are erroneously damping the variation via some adjustment.

Hopefully I will get around to this at some point, but I would caution that even with a perfect opinion poll you would expect a large amount of variation from poll to poll, and none of the opinion polls available are perfect.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    National polls are irrelevant re UKIP, the % will vary enormously by area
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If hypothetically that turned out to be the result, by any objective measure it would be a stonking result for UKIP, but such is their expectation management failure it would be perceived as a setback.
  • Options

If Baron Ashcroft is underestimating the Tories nationally as seems to be the case, does it follow that he is underestimating the Tories in Newark?

No, because the underestimation in the National poll is likely to do with the specific sample of C2 voters, and the sample for Newark will of course be completely different.
  • Options
    MikeL

I'm sure UKIP will STAND in a huge number of seats, possibly all of them. But they will TARGET their limited resources at the much smaller number they think they might win. Their other candidates will be running a DIY campaign locally.
  • Options
    UKIP's support seems to be spread quite evenly across the age range.

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 22%
    25-44: 28%
    45-54: 31%
    55-64: 29%
    65+: 30%

(table3, p.4)
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Newark-by-election-poll-Full-tables.pdf
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Did Farage unwittingly make a massive error in his interview with Marr yesterday?

Now if UKIP is saying to OFCOM that it must have "Major Party status" at the GE then he might have made a massive own goal - because if UKIP are actually a "Major Party" then they should be targeting a far, far higher number of seats.

Of course we all know in practice that winning even one dozen seats would be a huge ask - but in terms of lobbying OFCOM there is a massive inconsistency.

Well, the chances of the Lib Dems targeting more than twice as many seats as UKIP, taking the upper range of three dozen, must be very slim, so the argument would be why to draw a distinction between three dozen and six dozen.

• Options
    kierankieran Posts: 77
    Clearly the 9 point lead is an outlier - but then we said the same about the YG 7 point lead too.

I think the improvement for Labour is to be expected given:

1. The implosion of the Lib Dems in the last week - this may have pushed more switchers to Labour.

2. The UKIP publicity boost from the Euros is likely to have pushed Con to UKIP switchers.

3. The fading of the Euro boost for the Greens may be helping Labour.

The comforting thing for the Conservatives is that these are generally likely to be short term effects - so would expect to see the polls drift closer again particularly if Newark bursts UKIPs bubble.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Didn't the Eastleigh polls underestimate UKIP support there? (per last week's thread?)

If we take the weighted average of the two Newark polls, then apply the Eastleigh "changes" we have:-

Con 36.0%
    UKIP 34.2%
    Lab 20.6%
    LD 5.6%

On a 50% turnout, a Con majority of 667 votes...

• Options
    If we can't trust Ashcroft's national poll, can we thrust his Newark poll?

OK, Con has a decent margin for error in Newark but if, say, Con is overstated by 5 and UKIP is understated by 5 then we have Con 37, UKIP 32 which could be still close on the day with some tactical voting.

However Con will be pleased that Lab figure is still good enough that there is unlikely to be massive tactical voting at the last minute - though there may well still be a fair bit.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

UKIP are too young in terms of resources and candidates to effectively target more than 50 or so seats. Its about realism, if we can go from 0 to 20+ in a GE it would be amazing.

• Options
    MikeL said:

If we can't trust Ashcroft's national poll, can we thrust his Newark poll?

OK, Con has a decent margin for error in Newark but if, say, Con is overstated by 5 and UKIP is understated by 5 then we have Con 37, UKIP 32 which could be still close on the day with some tactical voting.

However Con will be pleased that Lab figure is still good enough that there is unlikely to be massive tactical voting at the last minute - though there may well still be a fair bit.

UKiP already have 22% of 2010 Labour voters. More might follow.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Ok who genuinely believes that the tories will poll 25% at next years GE?

The Ashcroft polls are a bit of an embarrassment to him.
  • Options
    Oh wow, the internals of the Ashcroft poll are actually even worse for the Lib Dems than the 6% figure:

Will vote Lib Dem, and will definitely vote Lib Dem in a year's time: 16 respondents of 1000.

Of course they may pick up from other parties, and it could be an outlier, but that is a dreadful internal.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,638
    Ashcroft: The NEW Gold Standard!

Tories down to their core vote.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Blackburn, welcome to pb.com.

If UKIP got 20+ seats that would be staggeringly good for them, but I do think it's quite incredible.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kieran said:

Clearly the 9 point lead is an outlier - but then we said the same about the YG 7 point lead too.

1. The implosion of the Lib Dems in the last week - this may have pushed more switchers to Labour.

2. The UKIP publicity boost from the Euros is likely to have pushed Con to UKIP switchers.

The comforting thing for the Conservatives is that these are generally likely to be short term effects - so would expect to see the polls drift closer again particularly if Newark bursts UKIPs bubble.

1 . Populus showed a fall in LD to Labour switchers
    2 . Populus showed no change in Con to UKIP switchers
    3 Ashcroft showed no change in the Green figure
  • Options
    Patrick said:

MikeL

I'm sure UKIP will STAND in a huge number of seats, possibly all of them. But they will TARGET their limited resources at the much smaller number they think they might win. Their other candidates will be running a DIY campaign locally.

Of course - I know that. The Greens will also stand in every seat (or almost every seat).

But that's not the point. If you are saying to OFCOM you are a "Major Party" that means you should have a reasonable expectation of winning a substantial number of seats.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    currystar said:

Well, Bobafett would appear to be clutching onto those numbers.
  • Options

DavidL said:

FPT

I've been meaning to do a proper statistical analysis of opinion polling to estimate how much variability you would expect from poll-to-poll from sampling errors alone - ie assuming no underlying change in opinion.

It could be that the Ashcroft Poll is given you a genuine measure of the uncertainty, and the other polls are erroneously damping the variation via some adjustment.

Hopefully I will get around to this at some point, but I would caution that even with a perfect opinion poll you would expect a large amount of variation from poll to poll, and none of the opinion polls available are perfect.
    That would be interesting.

I suspect that the established polling companies adjust and adjust after each election to reflect the discrepancies between their findings and the actual result. I think this is entirely sensible when your objective is to get as close as possible to an accurate prediction but I agree with you that it probably dampens their volatility considerably as well.

The change in the weighting when you can't find enough of a particular class of voter probably underplays the fact that some of that kind of voter is now so ticked off they won't admit who they voted for previously and by simply scaling up those who will admit it you are distorting the group.

I understand that Lord Ashcroft has got an established polling company doing his work. It is therefore curious that his results are not similarly tempered. No doubt next week will see a remarkable tory recovery. I am afraid that will not be very convincing either .

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    I know different polls aren't comparable but is there a possibility given that the UKIP figure is consistent across both Newark polls that there is tactical anti-UKIP voting going on?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    kieran said:

If I read the tables properly (never something to take for granted) the Greens are on 7% which is as high as I remember their GE voting intention being. I expect it to be back to 2% or so in the actual GE so that's perhaps a good potential boost for Labour (and Lib Dems in some areas) to come.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    currystar said:

The Tories won't poll 25% in the general election, but it other pollsters were to suddenly start finding a collapse in the Conservative vote it would be very worrying, so close to a general election.

Dangerous times for Con this. Newark MUST be held!

• Options

If UKIP got 20+ seats that would be staggeringly good for them, but I do think it's quite incredible.

Thank you, 20+ is not my prediction, it could easily be 5 or 50, a year is a long time etc etc. Concentrating resources in specific clustered areas makes obvious sense, it doesn't take a genius to work out where they'll be

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Thank you, 20+ is not my prediction, it could easily be 5 or 50, a year is a long time etc etc. Concentrating resources in specific clustered areas makes obvious sense, it doesn't take a genius to work out where they'll be

It could be 5, no way in hell will it be 50.
  • Options

We'll see on Thursday if that is indeed the case.

Labour have a bit of a dilemma in Newark though, do they try and GOTV or soft pedal

Is there anti-UKIP Lab -> Con switching going on also ?

UKIP are far far worse than the Conservatives according to some of my more left wing friends.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Ashcroft National UNS

Lab 370
    Con 220
    LD 31
    UKIP 0
    Oths 11
    NI 18

Lab maj 90
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Ashcroft National UNS

Lab 370
    Con 220
    LD 31
    UKIP 0
    Oths 11
    NI 18

Lab maj 90

First person Ed get's on to dog to is...

Farage!

"Thanks for everything Nigel."
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

The Tories won't poll 25% in the general election, but it other pollsters were to suddenly start finding a collapse in the Conservative vote it would be very worrying, so close to a general election.

Two weeks ago people on here were talking about how well the tories were doing in the polls and their was regular crossover. What has happened in the two weeks to make such dramatic changes? Maybe its just pollsters going for headlines. This poll reckons that others not including UKIP are on 16% , with UKIP they are on 35%. Its frankly daft. How can labour only be on 34% when the tories are on 25%?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Labour have a bit of a dilemma in Newark though, do they try and GOTV or soft pedal

UKIP are far far worse than the Conservatives according to some of my more left wing friends.
    There was a hint of that in the vox populi on R5 from Newark this morning where one of those spoken to was determinedly anti UKIP and uncertain where to place his vote between the 2 main parties.

There was also a baker selling buns with different colours of icing. I forget the exact figures but his tory figure and lead was pretty close to this poll!

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

No my friend, he is underestimating the UKIP vote and support; as he always has.
    The Tories may win in Newark, but I bet that the UKIP vote is much closer to the Tory total than the good Lord predicts.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

Ashcroft National UNS

Lab 370
    Con 220
    LD 31
    UKIP 0
    Oths 11
    NI 18

Lab maj 90

Farage!

'Oh, and that referendum you wanted? The answers No, and there's nothing you can do about it. Ha Ha Ha. Click'
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

Two weeks ago people on here were talking about how well the tories were doing in the polls and their was regular crossover. What has happened in the two weeks to make such dramatic changes? Maybe its just pollsters going for headlines. This poll reckons that others not including UKIP are on 16% , with UKIP they are on 35%. Its frankly daft. How can labour only be on 34% when the tories are on 25%?
    I would guess what's changed is the publicity UKIP have achieved from their Euro election result.

Conservatives have held themselves together remarkably well, but if Newark is lost and more pollsters (especially YouGov or ICM) start taking them into the mid 20's all bet are off in terms of another bout of Con blood-letting.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited June 2014
    Not sure of his source but:
    @ TomMayerEuropa
    !!! German Chancellor #Merkel says: if necessary vote for #juncker in EuCo against #cameron and british objections
    OpenEurope have some possible blocking minorities:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpIRhvDIYAAVdAq.jpg
    Start with UK, Sweden, Holland and Hungary, then find another large country, the obvious ones being Italy (who are being a bit vague) and France (who want their former Socialist finance minister - not sure Cameron could sell that one as a win...)

The reason I still like Shadsy's 4/6 odds is that Juncker gets multiple shots at this. Not only is he clearly odds-on for the first vote, if the heads of government vote for somebody else the first time the parliament are likely to vote them down and tell them to try again.
  • Options
    kierankieran Posts: 77
    Having a look at the internals of the Ashcroft national poll it really is a stonking one for Labour.

They actually had a 10 point lead (35-25) before the spiral of silence adjustment.

As Neil points out the Greens are on 7% - which gives a sizeable vote still left to squeeze in the run up to the GE.

It also matches virtually every other poll this parliament showing very little switching between Lab and Con.

The main movement is being caused by 22% of 2010 Con voters going to UKIP and 34% of 2010 LD voters going to Labour.

For the LDs to be only keeping 22% of their own voters really is dreadful. They have to hope that they can at least recover to 10 - 12% once the negative leadership stuff dies down otherwise next year could turn into an extinction-level event - regardless of the incumbency factor.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

Cameron is wobbling. Labour sympathizers in Newark should tactically vote en masse for UKIP to further his instability.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Con have 7% of 2010 (Newark) Labour voters, UKIP have 22% of 2010 (Newark) Labour voters.

(Table 3, page 4)
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Newark-by-election-poll-Full-tables.pdf
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pro-Conservative tactical voting really would be a new phenomenon! Usually, the anti-Tory tactical voting is very efficient.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

Ashcroft National UNS

Lab 370
    Con 220
    LD 31
    UKIP 0
    Oths 11
    NI 18

Lab maj 90

Farage!

'Oh, and that referendum you wanted? The answers No, and there's nothing you can do about it. Ha Ha Ha. Click'
    Nigel want's a referendum? Surely not. Imagine if NO won and we left the EU he'd be off the gravy train and UKIP's whole raison d'etre would be lost.

No, it suit's Farage to have Labour win the the election with a thumping majority. It will mean he might have another decade at least to carry on throwing stones at LibLabCon.

• Options
    If the 'The party has the best candidate locally' respondents really were voting on that basis, it wouldn't be a winner from the top four - look at how many voting for one of the others have (correctly) said that they're better.

It also confirms what I said this morning - only the Tories have run a decent campaign in terms of voter contact: the LibDems have operated on a shoestring, Labour have been disappointingly poor at it, and UKIP has concentrated on leaflets rather than canvassing.

At least it makes it easier to know which way to do the postal vote.
  • Options
    kieran said:

Having a look at the internals of the Ashcroft national poll it really is a stonking one for Labour.

They actually had a 10 point lead (35-25) before the spiral of silence adjustment.

As Neil points out the Greens are on 7% - which gives a sizeable vote still left to squeeze in the run up to the GE.

It also matches virtually every other poll this parliament showing very little switching between Lab and Con.

The main movement is being caused by 22% of 2010 Con voters going to UKIP and 34% of 2010 LD voters going to Labour.

For the LDs to be only keeping 22% of their own voters really is dreadful. They have to hope that they can at least recover to 10 - 12% once the negative leadership stuff dies down otherwise next year could turn into an extinction-level event - regardless of the incumbency factor.

There is also no adjustment made for DK voters. (2010 Con 9%, 2010 Lab 6%, 2010 LD 13%)

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

I would guess what's changed is the publicity UKIP have achieved from their Euro election result.

Conservatives have held themselves together remarkably well, but if Newark is lost and more pollsters (especially YouGov or ICM) start taking them into the mid 20's all bet are off in terms of another bout of Con blood-letting.
    Why would there be, the economy is booming, unemployment is falling, wages are rising, the UK is a good place to be. If people want to vote to allow a party who will ruin the economy again to govern its hardly the tory leadership's fault. People are just daft.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Time to check if Internet samples overload themselves with Kippers:

Populus vs Ashcroft raw figures:

Unweighted base 1000 164 250 40 141

Ashcroft: (1000)
    Con 164
    Lab 250
    LD 40
    UKIP 141
    DK 176

Populus: (2062)
    Con 392
    Lab 572
    LD 129
    UKIP 332

Populus/Ashcroft as %s:

Ashcroft Populus

CON 16.4 19.0
    LAB 25.0 27.7
    LD 4.0 6.3
    UKIP 14.1 16.1

Difference seems reasonably consistent...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kieran said:

Populus has Lib Dems retaining 41% of their 2010 voters .
    We have two polls taken at the same time with differing results . pointless hypothesising with assumptions that the Ashcroft poll is the correct one .
  • Options
    kieran said:

Look at the amazingly high (for the UK) levels wanting a coalition after the 2015 GE. The electorate many not know whether they want a Tory/LibDem or a Lab/LibDem one, but about a fifth want one.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Nigel want's a referendum? Surely not. Imagine if NO won and we left the EU he'd be off the gravy train and UKIP's whole raison d'etre would be lost.

Cameron actually solves that for Farage with his "renegotiation" thing. Since the EU can't pass a treaty on that timescale, it's bound to involve some promises of things happening in a future treaty, so when that treaty ultimately falls apart, gets voted down by Britain or fails to live up to everything it was said to do in the campaign, Farage can say he was robbed, start demanding a new referendum and get the whole show back on the road again.
  • Options
    Cameron is leading from the front in Newark: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10870248/David-Cameron-warns-Ukip-voters-an-MP-is-for-life-not-just-for-Christmas.html

There again today for the 4th time. Would he really be doing that if they were not expecting a result at least as good as this poll? It may prove beyond them but the tories are desperate not just to beat UKIP but hammer them so that they can use the wasted vote argument again. It is on a shoogly peg at the moment.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The odds haven't changed much with Betfair since the poll came out:

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/market?id=1.113986228
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

RodCrosby said:

Ashcroft National UNS

Lab 370
    Con 220
    LD 31
    UKIP 0
    Oths 11
    NI 18

Lab maj 90

Farage!

No, it suit's Farage to have Labour win the the election with a thumping majority. It will mean he might have another decade at least to carry on throwing stones at LibLabCon.

And some of his supporters are too dim to realise that.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    GIN1138 said:

currystar said:

Newark to be Cameron's Stalingrad?

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AndyJS said:

Hmm They have actually , CON was at 1.27, they are now 1.21/1.23.

I'm going to hold my position of a small Conservative profit with stakes laid off from here to the poll.

I think it'll be closer than the Ashcroft poll though - for sure.

Very nice GOTV operation by Conservative HQ - Congratulations Grant Shapps.

Con Majority 1500 is still my guess !
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @currystar

Daft? Or shoved into a dead end job, with pay increases of circa 1% being the norm for most of the rest?
    The rise in "average" remuneration is dependent mainly on which side of the line you fall, and is skewed towards those who were already comfortably well off, or in many cases, fabulously wealthy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,869
    Needless to say, every man and his partisan dog scurrying around trying to find something positive from this afternoon's numbers or to say something negative about one of the parties they don't like.

Ho hum...

The figure that jumps at me from the national numbers is the combined Labour/Conservative voter share at 59% - first time below 60% in a poll since when ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon alot of Labour voters are heading off for a tactical UKIP vote in Newark - sounds like Labour is soft pedalling there.

Yes. Labour is not running a proper campaign here. It's much better than the LibDems, but there is no visible Labour HQ in the centre of Newark, for example.

For a seat they won in 1997, it's rather embarrassing.

I understand from talking to two other parties that they think a chunk of 2010 Labour voters are going to vote UKIP with one set of fingers crossed (that they can beat the Tories) and a clothes peg on their nose (because they're really not UKIP voters).
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Hmm They have actually , CON was at 1.27, they are now 1.21/1.23.

I'm going to hold my position of a small Conservative profit with stakes laid off from here to the poll.

I think it'll be closer than the Ashcroft poll...

Very nice GOTV operation by Conservative HQ.

Con Majority 1500 is still my guess !
    I've stayed entirely on the Conservative side of this bet from the start. I thought the odds at the outset should have been around 1/6 on them. If they lost this seat it would be an awful awful result for them.

It seems a long time since our host was making a coherent argument that Labour ought to do well here.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I can see UKIP morphing into the WWC party and the metrosexual leftie luvvies joining the leftie LD's with the sensible ones migrating to Conservative so, effectively Labour would disappear. Hurrah.
  • Options
    @MoreCynicalThanThou

"For a seat they won in 1997, it's rather embarrassing."

They didn't win that seat, they won one with the same name but different boundaries.
    You should strive to be more cynical about bland statements.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

I can see UKIP morphing into the WWC party and the metrosexual leftie luvvies joining the leftie LD's with the sensible ones migrating to Conservative so, effectively Labour would disappear. Hurrah.

Labour won't disappear. Another party politically closish to them may do...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,709

UKIP's support seems to be spread quite evenly across the age range.

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 22%
    25-44: 28%
    45-54: 31%
    55-64: 29%
    65+: 30%

(table3, p.4)

A higher levels of support between 18-14 yr old than 60+??

Yeah pull the other one, it's got bells on.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    There are some interesting figures in the Newark poll for switchers between parties. Using the turnout-weighted figures (without the 'spiral of silence' adjustment), 2010 voters are splitting as follows:

2010 Con -> Con 69%, Lab 2%, LD 0%, UKIP 27%
    2010 Lab -> Con 7%, Lab 63%, LD 2%, UKIP 22%
    2010 LD -> Con 13%, Lab 16%, LD 22%, UKIP 28%

One needs to be a bit cautious about these figures, because the sample sizes are small, but three points stand out: (a) LibDems not in a good place, (b) UKIP attracting support rather evenly from the other three parties, (c) Little evidence of overwhelming LibDem->Lab switching here at least, indeed LD->Con and LD->Lab are fairly similar, but LD->UKIP is twice as big.

The fact that UKIP seem to be taking vote share from three contradictory directions suggests the NOTA protest component dominates.

Table 3, Q2
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Once again @TheWatcher completely misrepresents me. It's an ugly, sheepish habit.

I have derided other pollsters for showing the Tories in the 20s, publicly, on this very forum.

You just make yourself look like a childish idiot when you misrepresent other posters, whether they be kindred spirits or political opponents.

Someone make it stop.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm still sticking by my Newark prediction:

CON HOLD: 2,000-3,000 majority.
  • Options
    Bad poll for Labour, down 2% on GE2010 when they polled 29.7% nationally.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @OwenJones84: It'll be such an unlikely upset if the Tories lose Newark that I'll run through Leicester Square naked singing Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'
  • Options

(a) LibDems not in a good place,

And the award for PB understatement of the year goes to... ;)

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @Currystar

Though the Crossover-gasm was over cooked somewhat.

Only three pollsters have shown crossover, and only once, and all bar one have now reverted to Lab leads.

IIRC
  • Options
    UKIP won't be completely downhearted by this poll, since (a) it might induce complacency in the Tory camp and (b) Labour obviously can't win so more of their supporters might vote tactically.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

They didn't win that seat, they won one with the same name but different boundaries.

It is true that Retford went and was replaced by Bingham, but the bulk of the constituency is the same.

Even with a Labour candidate who had been found guilty of "corrupt practices" and disqualified (until that was overturned on appeal) with the local Party split for/against her, they still came within less than 4,100 votes of keeping the seat in 2001.

They should be doing a lot better than that in a by-election caused by the fallen Tory MP being worse.
  • Options

A higher levels of support between 18-14 yr old than 60+??

Yeah pull the other one, it's got bells on.

In their eyes, UKIP are the "None of the above" lot.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    BobaFett said:

@Currystar

Only three pollsters have shown crossover, and only once, and all bar one have now reverted to Lab leads.

IIRC

True. But even if lab leads lengthens from now till Christmas, tories can take comfort from the fact that the lab mini-collapse was strongly correlated with the run-up to national elections. There is a whole heap of comfort in that thought.

• Options
    Tories being smashed into on Betfair. 1.15 matched.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@currystar

Daft? Or shoved into a dead end job, with pay increases of circa 1% being the norm for most of the rest?
    The rise in "average" remuneration is dependent mainly on which side of the line you fall, and is skewed towards those who were already comfortably well off, or in many cases, fabulously wealthy.

Total nonsense, in my business during 2006-2010 our business shrunk by 30%, since 2010 it has grown by 50%. During that period we have taken on 8 new apprentices and intend to take on another 4 this year. This is giving young people a chance at a trade for life and a successful career. There are tens of thousands of such jobs being created. These are proper jobs which will help the economy progress, not Labour pretend jobs in the Public Sector or Labour benefit bribes to shore up its vote.

You cannot expect wages to rise dramatically following the economic crisis this economy has gone through, but at least they are gradually increasing and jobs are being still being created.

There are a million less public sector workers now since 2010. What jobs were these people doing? My bins are still collected,the roads are still repaired, the hospitals are still open. If Labour get back in they will do the same. Create pretend jobs in the Public Sector which the country cant afford, it will destroy the work ethic that the coalition have developed in the country and they will start with their benefit handouts again to show how "fair" they are being. This policy simply does not work, people need an incentive to work, if you give people the opportunity to do less with the same money through benefits they will take it. This will again kill the economy and the tories will have to rebuild it again. It really confuses me why people want to go through the same old cycle.

Surely looking at what is happening in France would give a clue as to what will happen here if Labour get back in.

People hated Alex Ferguson, but it didn't mean that his management style was wrong, people hate the tories, but it does not mean their policies are wrong.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

BobaFett said:

@Currystar

IIRC

True. But even if lab leads lengthens from now till Christmas, tories can take comfort from the fact that the lab mini-collapse was strongly correlated with the run-up to national elections. There is a whole heap of comfort in that thought.

Hmm, the Euros have their own rules that are the opposite of Westminster ones: Talking about Europe a lot, friendly system for small parties etc.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Even with a Labour candidate who had been found guilty of "corrupt practices" and disqualified (until that was overturned on appeal) with the local Party split for/against her, they still came within less than 4,100 votes of keeping the seat in 2001.

The boundary changes occurred after 2005. Labour would not have won the current constituency in 1997. Though it would have been close and it's strange to see a main opposition party not in the running in a by-election in a seat like this but we live in rather strange electoral times.
  • Options

There are some interesting figures in the Newark poll for switchers between parties. Using the turnout-weighted figures (without the 'spiral of silence' adjustment), 2010 voters are splitting as follows:

One needs to be a bit cautious about these figures, because the sample sizes are small, but three points stand out: (a) LibDems not in a good place, (b) UKIP attracting support rather evenly from the other three parties, (c) Little evidence of overwhelming LibDem->Lab switching here at least, indeed LD->Con and LD->Lab are fairly similar, but LD->UKIP is twice as big.

The fact that UKIP seem to be taking vote share from three contradictory directions suggests the NOTA protest component dominates.

Table 3, Q2

Survation's Newark poll was:

2010 Con -> Con 63%, Lab 1%, UKIP 31%
    2010 Lab -> Con 2%, Lab 75%, UKIP 16%
    2010 LD -> Con 18%, Lab 24%, UKIP 30%

(table 5, page 9)
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Newark-Poll-Sun-Tables.pdf
  • Options
    edited June 2014

DavidL said:

FPT

I've long been of the opinion that the weightings the online firms apply to UKIP are pure comedy gold. 19% in a phone poll is very significant, and Ashcroft/Populus' raw samples were statistically closish in terms of raw VI.

The NEV of 17.5 for UKIP may well be close to the mark as calculated by Rawling & Thrasher at the locals.... THey ain't on 11.

Similiarly Lib Dems benefit from generous upweighting alot of the time.

Note the lack of weighting in phone polls compared to online.

Yes, I won't be ditching my UKIP (~ Nil) & Labour Green for silly prices on Betfair now...
  • Options
    @currystar
    Pretend jobs? Stacking shelves for dole money? Becoming "self" employed" as a way of avoiding ever more stringent JSA requirements, while still being funded by the tax payer?
    Working for the minimum wage while companies are subsidised to employ, and shoving the bulk of their tax liabilities off shore?
    As for the much vaunted increase in wages you seem so keen on, even a cursory glance at who has become richer since the crash, and those left behind, points to the reason you would be daft to vote for TINA, and more of the same.
    Unless of course these policies advantage yourself personally?
  • Options

Table 3, Q2

Survation's Newark poll was:

2010 Con -> Con 63%, Lab 1%, UKIP 31%
    2010 Lab -> Con 2%, Lab 75%, UKIP 16%
    2010 LD -> Con 18%, Lab 24%, UKIP 30%

(table 5, page 9)
    http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Newark-Poll-Sun-Tables.pdf
    I'd say using table 4 would be better (i.e. not excluding don't knows etc)
  • Options
    Neil said:

The boundary changes occurred after 2005. Labour would not have won the current constituency in 1997. Though it would have been close and it's strange to see a main opposition party not in the running in a by-election in a seat like this but we live in rather strange electoral times.
    Neil said:

Who here remembers the Richmond 1989 By-Election ?

Was it anything like this ?

UKIP seem to be doing the SDP role in this one.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Who here remembers the Richmond 1989 By-Election ?

Was it anything like this ?

UKIP seem to be doing the SDP role in this one.
    Richmond 1989 was a rather infamous one where the newly merged Alliance (or whatever name we were on at that time) candidate ran against a splinter continuity SDP candidate and split the vote to let the Conservatives in.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kieran said:

I don't get the bubble burst argument.

Sure, in terms of media stories that may be so. And perhaps, at the margin, there are people who are just following a bandwagon in supporting UKIP / perhaps there will be some fair weather friends who get dispirited by the lack of progress.

But the fundamental reasons why people are supporting UKIP still exist. It will make it harder to grow, but why should the numbers deflate massively post a Newark loss?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    UKIP are doomed. Doomed I tell you based on the Newark poll.

The Tories are doomed. Doomed I tell you based on the National poll.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kieran said:

Sure, in terms of media stories that may be so. And perhaps, at the margin, there are people who are just following a bandwagon in supporting UKIP / perhaps there will be some fair weather friends who get dispirited by the lack of progress.

But the fundamental reasons why people are supporting UKIP still exist. It will make it harder to grow, but why should the numbers deflate massively post a Newark loss?
    People like supporting winning parties.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    corporeal said:

Charles said:

kieran said:

The LD tragedy suggests otherwise.
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    edited June 2014
    I think that the Newark by-election will boil down to the simple question of how the residents of Newark feel about the possible shame/glory (delete as appropriate) of being the first place to elect a UKIP MP and the lasting image problems/benefits (again delete as appropriate) that such a result would bring to the area. Either way they have to live with the result - quite literally so. It isn't a game.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    On the subject of "self employment" as pushed by those privatized job companies especially towards the long term unemployed, and those with circumstances that make normal employment almost impossible (those that Atos deem fit for work), there is a pretty big problem heading towards them, albeit slowly, and of course not till after the next election.
    The much delayed flagship of "Universal Credit" will have massive impact on the future viability of "start ups" and small businesses unless there are reforms to it before full implementation.
    But who cares really? As long as it remains hidden for the moment
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It looks as if Newark and the rest of us will be spared Helmer's dangerous ignorance that "white asbestos poses no measurable health risk".

http://ibasecretariat.org/lka-blog.php#a73
  • Options

corporeal said:

Charles said:

kieran said:

The LD tragedy suggests otherwise.
    The LDs for years is a key example of it. There's a reason "Winning Here" posters get stuck up everwhere.

Firstly there's a wasted vote element, where they won't vote for someone if they don't think they have a chance of winning.

Secondly, there's a kind of crowd enthusiasm thing where people feel more positively about a party because of the sense lots other people seem to feel positive about them.
This discussion has been closed.