Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft marginals poll is out – and it’s great for Ed.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft marginals poll is out – and it’s great for Ed.

Lord Ashcroft’s has published his marginal polling. The poll contradicts the findings of the ComRes marginals published earlier on this week, and the sample size here is nearly 26 times larger than the ComRes poll. This polling finds a 6.5% swing from the Conservatives to Labour – enough to topple 83 Tory MPs and give Ed Miliband a comfortable majority.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    edited May 2014
    First, like an Eastleigh Lib Dem.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    This should steady the Good Ship Milliband for a few hours...
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Third!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Ed puts the Red into Redbridge!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    This will silence those wailing Labour MPs for a while.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    corporeal said:

First, like an Eastleigh Lib Dem.

But within the speed limit, one hopes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Ashcroft has UKIP on 29% in Thurrock compared to 39% from Thursday, although depending on which one of the tables we are using, it could be up to 33%

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I want to believe this, but it's hard to square it with the other recent polls and the results yesterday, frankly.
  • Options
    Has Dan commented yet on why this poll is actually a disaster for Ed?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

Re Ashcroft, obviously a good poll for Labour, with two caveats. The first is that the numbers are not particularly secure: "half of voters say they may change their mind before the election". The second is that the leadership ratings tilt heavily to the Tories: "only three in ten would rather see Mr Miliband as Prime Minister than David Cameron".

Summary: a strong current advantage to Labour but the tide is running the Tories' way.

A 26,000 sample size is impressive but is still no match for a real election even on a below 40% turnout.
    Mmm

*that's a sort of skeptical mm sound*
    Nah, it is an "I'm far too lazy to crunch the numbers but if I mention it someone might" sound...

Otherwise I am supremely relaxed about the council outcomes.

Given the likely direction of travel over the next year for each of the major players they could hardly be a better starting point for the coalition.

No one is talking of replacing Cameron, or even Clegg for that matter. It is Miliband's future which is being questioned.

I agree about the comparisons that need to be made (and we'll have the Euros to overlay it all as well).

I'm skeptical about the "no match" comment.
    You are right to question the "no match".

What needs to be determined is the degree to which shares in a low turnout election can be scaled up to a likely GE result.

Sam's comments on Ashcroft 29% in Thurrock vs 39% in Locals is a clear example of a difference that needs explaining/justifying.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Good.

That should keep Labour complacent for while.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @Next & @Richard_Tyndall

A Labour councillor was asked about his response to the election.

He replied, "Bloody UKIP, coming over here, stealing our jobs".
    :-) Very good indeed.
    Simply brilliant and worth commenting on just to avoid it being orphaned at the end of the last thread.

Do we know the name of the Labour councillor? It would be a shame for the comment to be lost to "anon." or "attrib.".
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I want to believe this, but it's hard to square it with the other recent polls and the results yesterday, frankly.

Perhaps there's thousands of "silent" Labour voters in marginal seats just waiting to run to the polls to get Ed Milliband into Downing St next year?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

corporeal said:

AveryLP said:

Re Ashcroft, obviously a good poll for Labour, with two caveats. The first is that the numbers are not particularly secure: "half of voters say they may change their mind before the election". The second is that the leadership ratings tilt heavily to the Tories: "only three in ten would rather see Mr Miliband as Prime Minister than David Cameron".

Summary: a strong current advantage to Labour but the tide is running the Tories' way.

A 26,000 sample size is impressive but is still no match for a real election even on a below 40% turnout.
    Mmm

*that's a sort of skeptical mm sound*
    Nah, it is an "I'm far too lazy to crunch the numbers but if I mention it someone might" sound...

Otherwise I am supremely relaxed about the council outcomes.

Given the likely direction of travel over the next year for each of the major players they could hardly be a better starting point for the coalition.

No one is talking of replacing Cameron, or even Clegg for that matter. It is Miliband's future which is being questioned.

I agree about the comparisons that need to be made (and we'll have the Euros to overlay it all as well).

I'm skeptical about the "no match" comment.
    You are right to question the "no match".

What needs to be determined is the degree to which shares in a low turnout election can be scaled up to a likely GE result.

Sam's comments on Ashcroft 29% in Thurrock vs 39% in Locals is a clear example of a difference that needs explaining/justifying.
    What I would suggest Avery is voter motivation.

As I wrote a thread about, UKIP voters were much more certain to vote than anyone else at this Euro/locals election.

So in a high turnout election they don't have as many medium motivation supporters pick up so their vote share declines.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,905
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Anthony Wells doesn't think it's such good news for Labour. He says, the average swing in national opinion polls during the period of this survey was 5.25% Con to Lab. In the Conservative-held marginal seats it was 5.5%.

In Labour-held marginal seats, it was higher, at 6.5%.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    This might give a test if anti-Labour tactical voting is possible in some seats next year since the Conservatives are 3rd on 4 seats on this poll.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    taffys said:

Looking at Ashcroft, honestly, what are all these labour MPs complaining about??

their vote has no enthusiasm
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    AveryLP said:

@Next & @Richard_Tyndall

Simply brilliant and worth commenting on just to avoid it being orphaned at the end of the last thread.

Do we know the name of the Labour councillor? It would be a shame for the comment to be lost to "anon." or "attrib.".

It was passed without name to me. I thought it amusing, but I have doubts as to whether it came from a real councillor.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Lewis Hamilton says he's from a 'not-great' place called Stevenage.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    from Ashcroft's speech...

''Outside London, the voters who are most optimistic about Britain’s economy are the constituents of the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer.''
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Polygraph training?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27556372

Who was the genius that thought that one up?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Anthony Wells doesn't think it's such good news for Labour. He says, the average swing in national opinion polls during the period of this survey was 5.25% Con to Lab. In the Conservative-held marginal seats it was 5.5%.

Any idea how to work out what the Local Residents Association winning so many seats in Havering means in GE terms Sean?
  • Options
    The poll with a swing of around 5.5% to Labour will still give a majority of around 30 to them.
    Plus Walsall North results should have been expected with the BNP scoring 8% there last time.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Stevenage is ok, if you stay on the A1 and keep going.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,981
    @isam Quite like my UKIP positions at the moment tbh - I'll pass on your Paddy offer :) (Took 16s about G Grimsby the other day_)

• Options
    Of course el Tories could scrap postal voting and win easy but they don't get why so they won't.
  • Options
    Thanks for the offer though
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited May 2014

Tim_B said:

I always thought that the purpose of Milton Keynes was to make Stevenage look good, in the same way that Mississippi exists to make Alabama look good by comparison.

The only thing I recall about Stevenage is that it figured prominently in an episode of the Roger Moore 60s TV series 'The Saint'.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    isam said:

Ashcroft has UKIP on 29% in Thurrock compared to 39% from Thursday, although depending on which one of the tables we are using, it could be up to 33%

Well that is exactly what you would expect . The lower turnout and greater keenness for UKIP supporters to vote on Thursday is bound to lead to a higher UKIP figure for the locals .
  • Options
    Most concerned should be the LD, in the marginals poll they fall only 9% from last time, significantly less than the 14% from nationwide opinion polls on average. They must be losing more votes somewhere else.
  • Options
    This is a seriously impressive piece of work by Ashcroft tbh
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Of course el Tories could scrap postal voting and win easy but they don't get why so they won't.

In most parts of the country they are the party that most benefits from postal voting .
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

I always thought that the purpose of Milton Keynes was to make Stevenage look good.

The only thing I recall about Stevenage is that it figured prominently in an episode of the Roger Moore 60s TV series 'The Saint'.
    It's a triumph of post war government planning and 60's concrete architecture.

• Options

MrJones said:

In most parts of the country they are the party that most benefits from postal voting .
    yeah right
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Perhaps there's thousands of "silent" Labour voters in marginal seats just waiting to run to the polls to get Ed Milliband into Downing St next year?

Its a stereotype -- because its TRUE that Labour voters are the laziest of the lot. So they may well all show up at GE time.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    AveryLP said:

@Next & @Richard_Tyndall

I think it's likely to stay anonymous.

It reveals an entitlement mindset, "I should get this because I am Labour/White/Whatever, not because I've earned it."

On another point, considering the rampage of UKIP at Thursdays locals, how the hell does anyone define a marginal nowadays?
  • Options

isam said:

Well that is exactly what you would expect . The lower turnout and greater keenness for UKIP supporters to vote on Thursday is bound to lead to a higher UKIP figure for the locals .
    Fair enough. Avery asked for constiuencies that voted on Thursday that could be compared to Ashcrofts poll thats all. I wasnt making a point about the difference

I will now though!

Ashcroft ALWAYS underestimates UKIP.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

yeah right
    There are a few mostly Asian dominated areas where you are correct but certainly not in South coast retirement/care home land .
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Its a stereotype -- because its TRUE that Labour voters are the laziest of the lot. So they may well all show up at GE time.
    which is why they get the most benefit from postal votes. it ups their average certainty to vote more than anyone else's. it's why they did it.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

yeah right
    Isn't the party that benefits the most from the postal vote "Tower Hamlets First" ^_~ ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DAlexanderMP: Lord Ashcroft's poll confirms we're making real progress in seats where we need to do well and that Labour can win next year's Gen Election.

@iainmartin1: Genius @LordAshcroft double bluff to calm Labour and secure Ed Miliband's position with this marginals poll...

@DPJHodges: If anyone thinks Labour's going to win 83 seats off the Tories they need their head examining.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    isam said:

What poll+result combinations are you thinking of?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,295
    Next said:

Good.

Indeed. Right up until the point where Labour complacently appoint cabinet ministers having won the election. Then Hodges will explain how being PM is a disaster for Ed Milliband.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

AveryLP said:

@Next & @Richard_Tyndall

I think it's likely to stay anonymous.

It reveals an entitlement mindset, "I should get this because I am Labour/White/Whatever, not because I've earned it."

On another point, considering the rampage of UKIP at Thursdays locals, how the hell does anyone define a marginal nowadays?
    I've seen it attributed elsewhere to a Conservative spokesman. I would guess that it was a joke.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    HT - Derby 0 QPR 0
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

yeah right
    There are a few mostly Asian dominated areas where you are correct but certainly not in South coast retirement/care home land .
    i'm not talking about that bit. the benefit of postal votes isn't the total number it's the **gap** between the number you'd get if there were no postal votes.

Say party A has 100,000 postal voters who would be 9/10 certain to vote **without** postal votes then the **benefit** is 10,000.

Say party B has 80,000 postal voters who would be only 7/10 to vote without postal votes then the benefit is 24,000.
  • Options

isam said:

Every by election in the last two years I think

I am trying to find the data as we type!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Well, I've been saying it'll be a Labour majority since June 2010, so in a way it's good to see that for once my instincts may have been spot on, but it's dispiriting how easy it could still prove for Ed M on so little genuine effort.

The point about previous such polls not proving true in the end, but it's just hard to see how the Tories can reverse this. Ed M is not great, but he's too careful to have a disaster and keeps making popular announcements (even if they may or may not be very achievable) which should see him over the line, and the LDs will not recover enough to prevent that. In fact, if they do recover significantly it harms the Tories more anyway. UKIP still hurt the Tories more, and that they are split on the best outcome for 2015 makes believing they will flock back to the Tories silly - not because it won't happen to some degree, but because it needs to happen almost universally to let the Tories get a plurality again.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

yeah right
    Isn't the party that benefits the most from the postal vote "Tower Hamlets First" ^_~ ?
    heh, yeah that's an exception
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Very decent of shadsy to pay out quickly on Lutfur Rahman, especially given that there may be a steward's inquiry.

The Greens beating the Lib Dems tomorrow would be a very nice result for yours truly.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Most concerned should be the LD, in the marginals poll they fall only 9% from last time, significantly less than the 14% from nationwide opinion polls on average. They must be losing more votes somewhere else.

Scotland, Wales and "The Great Northern Cities" would be my guess.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Next said:

Good.

Indeed. Right up until the point where Labour complacently appoint cabinet ministers having won the election.
    Quite so. Labour need to kick it up a notch if they want to secure that second term though, time's running out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: If anyone thinks Labour's going to win 83 seats off the Tories they need their head examining.

Didn't Lord A invite Dan H to review the results of his polling at the ConHome conference?

Perhaps Dan H should borrow a neurosurgeon's gown and turn up.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Sorry folks...Ed is still crap....and not PM material...
  • Options
    With the LibDems, there is a widely held view that they will do better in seats than UNS suggests as they concentrate resources in seats they can win. When Ashcroft repeatedly shows Labour doing better than UNS because of the same factor it's shouted down as LOOK AT THE POLLS.

UNS is irrelevant, there is no national election to swing. Models based on 3 party politics are irrelevant - as demonstrated on Thursday. It's merely 650 separate fights in separate seats, where a strong local showing by LibDems or Ukip splitting the right or Labour being well organised decides the seat, not a theoretical proportion of a tiny subset of a national poll. You want proportionality then go PR. Under FPTP it's seat by seat, and in the seats needed for a majority Labour are well organised and we'll supported. Regardless of whether Ed is carp/doing well enough/a geek etc etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Speedy said:

Scotland, Wales and "The Great Northern Cities" would be my guess.

In those marginal seats the Lib Dem vote will have been squeezed a lot already. I think we'll really suffer in the mid-range seats. Where we're neither contending nor down to a hardcore.

Places where we're in a strong 3rd, or a middling 2nd in safe Lab or safe con seats we're going to get killed is my guess.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Slightly O/T but I wonder if tpfkar retained his seat in Milton Keynes on Thursday - I see the LibDems only lost a few seats there.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

Labour	Con	LibD	UKIP	Others
    Wythenshawe 55.3 14.5 4.9 18 7.3
    South Shields 50.4 11.5 1.4 24.2 12.5
    Eastleigh 9.8 25.4 32.1 27.8 4.9
    Croydon North 64.7 16.8 3.5 5.7 9.3
    Middlesbrough 60.5 6.3 9.9 11.8 11.5
    Rotherham 46.5 5.4 2.1 21.7 24.3
    Cardiff South 47.3 19.9 10.8 6.1 15.9
    Corby 48.4 26.6 5 14.3 5.7
    Manchester Ce 69.1 4.5 9.4 4.5 12.5
    Bradford West 25 8.4 4.6 3.3 58.7
    Feltham & Heston 54.4 27.7 5.9 5.5 6.5
    Inverclyde 53.8 9.9 2.2 1 33.1
    Leicester South 57.8 15.1 22.5 2.9 1.7
    Barnsley Central 60.8 8.3 4.2 12.2 14.5
    Oldham East 42.1 12.8 31.9 5.8 7.4
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,905
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Any idea how to work out what the Local Residents Association winning so many seats in Havering means in GE terms Sean?
    Nothing at all. Both seats will remain safely Conservative, at least under their current MPs.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

isam said:

Has Ashcroft done any local election or by-election polling?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

isam said:

Labour	Con	LibD	UKIP	Others
    Manchester Central 69.1 4.5 9.4 4.5 12.5
    Comrade

Watch out for ^t characters!

• Options

With the LibDems, there is a widely held view that they will do better in seats than UNS suggests as they concentrate resources in seats they can win. When Ashcroft repeatedly shows Labour doing better than UNS because of the same factor it's shouted down as LOOK AT THE POLLS.

UNS is irrelevant, there is no national election to swing. Models based on 3 party politics are irrelevant - as demonstrated on Thursday. It's merely 650 separate fights in separate seats, where a strong local showing by LibDems or Ukip splitting the right or Labour being well organised decides the seat, not a theoretical proportion of a tiny subset of a national poll. You want proportionality then go PR. Under FPTP it's seat by seat, and in the seats needed for a majority Labour are well organised and we'll supported. Regardless of whether Ed is carp/doing well enough/a geek etc etc.

On the first point, the Lib Dems will probably do worse than uniform national swing would suggest. Where parties suffer a sharp drop in polling, uniform national swing does not work mathematically in seats where their vote share was already low. The consequence is that they will do worse elsewhere than uniform national swing would predict.

This is particularly apparent for the Lib Dems in Scotland, but probably true of them in England also. Their seat count will only hold up to the levels that uniform national swing would predict on current polling if their poll ratings start to rise. (I expect that to occur, at least to some extent, as it happens.)
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

isam said:

Yes thats what I mean

In every recent by election, Ashcroft has produced a poll that has underestimated UKIP, sometimes by 10% IIRC

• Options
    Speedy said:

I agree with this point completely. One thing consistent between the Ashcroft marginals polls and the ComRes marginals poll is that the Lib Dems continue to record significant levels of support in these seats. These votes are wasted and the Lib Dems on current polling levels would wish them to be elsewhere.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited May 2014
    F1: stewards will have a chat with Rosberg at 5.15pm. Apparently the main issue isn't actually the failure to make the corner, but reversing afterwards.

Edited extra bit: ahem, that's 4.15pm, UK time.
  • Options

Sorry folks...Ed is still crap....and not PM material...

Well everyone knows that (even the most died in the wool Labour supporter knows this truth) but that doesn't mean he couldn't, by some bizarre fluke, blag himself into Downing Street for five years.

Just the thought of it is the stuff of nightmares TBH.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes thats what I mean

In every recent by election, Ashcroft has produced a poll that has underestimated UKIP, sometimes by 10% IIRC

Tomorrow night we'll see which of the pollsters have best got a handle on polling for UKIP.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,300
    edited May 2014

But the difference here is microscopic:

National swing - 5.25%
    Ashcroft Con marginals swing - 5.5%

Which is so close that it cannot possibly be statistically significant.

So whilst this is a very comprehensive piece of work by Ashcroft, it's actually told us precisely nothing over and above what we have from national polls.

By the way next time I think Ashcroft should just poll twice as many Con marginals and forget Lab marginals. Realistically Con gains from Lab are highly unlikely but looking at twice as many Con marginals would give a much better sample size - ie 28 seats instead of 14.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

isam said:

Labour    Con   LibD   UKIP Others
    Should work!
  • Options
    FPT 3:17PM
    Pressure is building up on Clegg.
    http://www.libdems4change.org/

It now has 150 LD members signed up wanting Clegg out.
  • Options

Clegg has received the ultimate vote of confidence in him staying, Lembit's called for him to go.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lol, Ashcroft, the man who gives you crossover and a thumping Labour majority in the space of three weeks.
    It's either a brilliant piece of psephological discovery, or a load of nonsense. Recent polling and the locals suggest the latter. Fear in my gut suggests the former.
    Are the Tories really headed back to 2005? This seems extremely unlikely.
  • Options

Blimey! That's 40% of their remaining party membership!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    corporeal said:

Clegg has received the ultimate vote of confidence in him staying, Lembit's called for him to go.
    I had to chuckle to myself when I read on here that Lembit said he was going to "have Clegg removed as leader of the Lib-Dems"

LOL!

If anybody's read Sian Lloyds' (weathergirl) autobiography they'll know Lemit does have a tendency to be "away with the fairies" a lot of the time, especially when pissed, as according to Sian, he frequently was during their relationship.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

isam said:

Should work!
    You'll receive the Order of Lenin Miliband for this!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    MikeL said:

But the difference here is microscopic:

National swing - 5.25%
    Ashcroft Con marginals swing - 5.5%

Which is so close that it cannot possibly be statistically significant.

So whilst this is a very comprehensive piece of work by Ashcroft, it's actually told us precisely nothing over and above what we have from national polls.

By the way next time I think Ashcroft should just poll twice as many Con marginals and forget Lab marginals. Realistically Con gains from Lab are highly unlikely but looking at twice as many Con marginals would give a much better sample size - ie 28 seats instead of 14.
    I think the main point is simply that it shows that the incumbency bonus doesn't exist this time (for whatever reason).
    MrJones said:

Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

which is why they get the most benefit from postal votes. it ups their average certainty to vote more than anyone else's. it's why they did it.
    Eh? Abolish them retrospectively at once and I'd still be an MP. The Conservatives are in most constituencies MUCH better at getting people to vote by post. It's a bit hard to quantify since PVs tend to be older voters and older voters tend to be more Tory, but in every election since 1997 I've seen the Tories do subtantially better among PVs. I suspect that it will hlep them pull out a decent performance tomorrow, given the lower turnout than at GEs.

• Options
    No idea how long the investigation will take into Rosberg. Schumacher's in 2006 took 8 hours. Obviously if the chap on pole gets a penalty that'll dramatically alter things. It's also worth mentioning about five other chaps are being investigated (mostly for blocking), so the grid could alter significantly.

I won't be putting up a pre-race piece until at least the Rosberg situation is resolved.
  • Options
    F1 Morris - I think the 5.15pm was European time - so it's -1 wherever you've starting from.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

AveryLP said:

isam said:

isam said:

Should work!
    You'll receive the Order of Lenin Miliband for this!
    I'll end up more decorated than a Kirstie Allsopp condominium, Comrade!

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Good to see the stewards are doing the right thing, even if they use the pretext of reversing to do it. The unnecessary steering inputs during breaking are a dead give away - he could not lock that wheel quick enough
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, you're quite right. These foreign chaps can't tell the time, you know.
  • Options
    You're a star Avery.

15 mins and we'll all find out if we're +1
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes thats what I mean
    Amazing figures from Ashcroft but not a lot learned IMHO.

First; this poll was conducted over six weeks and if week is a long time in politics then 6 weeks is an eon.
    Secondly, although 26K people were contacted for the poll only 1K were canvassed for each constituency, which is far different to having 26K answer on each.
    Thirdly, as always the suppositions are always spread rather thickly in any of the Lords disclosers.

The following is the goods lords latest list of ifs and buts:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/05/told-conhome-conference-battleground-poll/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=told-conhome-conference-battleground-poll&utm_source=Lord+Ashcroft+Polls&utm_campaign=b22d725ddd-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b70c7aec0a-b22d725ddd-66760489
  • Options
    I guess the other caveat is Kippers on 20%. If they can't muster that in a nationwide local poll, they ain't getting it at a GE. It rather trashes everything.
  • Options
    just experienced a better together ad on youtube. not sure that type of annoying advertising is wise. then again youtube videos seem to all stop loading in the second minute for me lately, so at least i won't be watching (the first few seconds of) it often.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I guess the other caveat is Kippers on 20%. If they can't muster that in a nationwide local poll, they ain't getting it at a GE. It rather trashes everything.

A nationwide local poll? Which one was that? I hope you are not talking about last Thursday because that was in no way nationwide as far as the elections to local councils were concerned.

• Options
    F1: he's got a penalty! By he, I of course mean Marcus Ericsson, who starts from the pitlane.
  • Options
    Ha ha Morris
  • Options

A nationwide local poll? Which one was that? I hope you are not talking about last Thursday because that was in no way nationwide as far as the elections to local councils were concerned.

Alright, their national equivalent share of the vote in a local election then.
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, although the focus is on Mercedes, it is worth recalling there are 20 other drivers.

Still waiting onwhat happens with Perez, Kvyat and, er, two others accused of blocking.
  • Options

I think the main point is simply that it shows that the incumbency bonus doesn't exist this time (for whatever reason).

Looking at the way they did the questions, it doesn't seem like they actually named the candidates. This seems sub-optimal, since the incumbency bonus is probably partly a name recognition benefit, and some of the people who have had good experiences with their incumbent may not even know what party they belong to.
  • Options
    Morris - Yeah but I'm data limited. If Rosberg's on poll he should be hot favourite given what happened last year.

Sorry if this is too bland for you - I get the impression that some people are still crying over a few student paintings being burned.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes thats what I mean

First; this poll was conducted over six weeks and if week is a long time in politics then 6 weeks is an eon.
    Secondly, although 26K people were contacted for the poll only 1K were canvassed for each constituency, which is far different to having 26K answer on each.
    Thirdly, as always the suppositions are always spread rather thickly in any of the Lords disclosers.

The following is the goods lords latest list of ifs and buts:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/05/told-conhome-conference-battleground-poll/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=told-conhome-conference-battleground-poll&utm_source=Lord+Ashcroft+Polls&utm_campaign=b22d725ddd-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b70c7aec0a-b22d725ddd-66760489
    6 weeks is a long time, but 1k per constituency shouldn't be described as "only".
  • Options
    Mr. Briskin, depends on the start as well. If he leaves the handbrake on...
  • Options
    Ha ha - yeah membe Morris
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    MikeK said:

Just a professional mathematical note on the "only 1K". Broadly speaking a poll of 1K is adequate for most purposes with a roughly binary choice. If you are picking oranges and apples randomly out of a barrel, 1000 picks will give you a pretty good idea of the relative proportions, regardless of whether the barrel contains 10,000 or a million items of fruit. Given that constituencies are mostly around 70,000 people, it's actually a relatively high proportion compared with most polls, but it wouldn't matter much if it wasn't.

You're of course right that 6 weeks is a long time and things do change, though the national polls are much the same now as six weeks ago. They could change markedly over the next two weeks as we see what the Euro result and Newark do.

• Options
    QPR win btw
  • Options
    Only a tweet, but suggests from Rosberg's body language he may get a penalty.

If you bet on F1 I'd suggest preparing to back Red Bull to top score at 8 (Ladbrokes), and perhaps wait for confirmation.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,885
    JBriskin said:

Morris - Yeah but I'm data limited. If Rosberg's on poll he should be hot favourite given what happened last year.

Sorry if this is too bland for you - I get the impression that some people are still crying over a few student paintings being burned.

To be fair, most of the concern being expressed is about (a) the Mackintosh building and its interior fitout and furniture, which are/were very special indeed, and (b) the archives and library - which will include many works of art, not just books. I'm not sure what the situation is with the latter but there is a fair chance they got soaked with the firefighting water never mind any damage from smoke or direct burning. Hellish situation for any library or museum to be in.

Very hard cheese on the students who lost their work just as they were coming up to finals, too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27556659
    http://www.gsa.ac.uk/about-gsa/library-learning-resources/archives-collections-centre/
  • Options
    Yeah, I know Carnyx - but when the Bbc are literally* cutting off your data...

*old meaning
This discussion has been closed.