Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As most of the results are now in, the papers begin to give

2»

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,327
    @Pulpstar

Missed it, I'm afraid. I spend most of my time betting the horses these days. The margins are much tighter but there is action and decent liquidity most days.

Congrats to you and Neil though. Always pleased to learn of a decent gambler collecting.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @TSE - time to get some bets on?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Why don't they use the absolute % of votes cast rather than come up with "projections"?

Because you can't directly compare them to last year's, because they're in different areas and the last time these seats were contested was in 2010 and if possible we'd like a more recent comparison.

UKIP up on 2010 is obvious, where they are in relation to 2013 is more interesting.
    But you just said:

"because they're in different areas and the last time these seats were contested was in 2010"

Yes?

We want recency and comparability. Last year's seats aren't comparable, and 2010's aren't recent.

So to fix that they try to project the annual results to a national figure to give use figures that are recent and comparable.
    Comparing this year's seats with last year's seats is akin to comparing Welsh Assembly with Scottish Parliament results. A completely different demographic.
    If you gave me the Westminster results of two regions of England I could probably take a fair shot at what the voting results in a 3rd region were.

It's certainly not perfect, but not voodoo either.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    BobaFett said:

Dixie said:

Still not understanding the Media's view that Labour didn't do well. They've picked up more seats, more Councils and they are dominant in London.

In pre-vote unspun discussions it was generally reckoned that if Labour gained less than 150, Milliband was toast. He would survive, but be damaged, at around 250. The actual 300 or so is ok....sort of, but hardly a ringing endorsement.

Not is it the disaster claimed by many before the results came in.

My view of these locals is that it's a bit "meh" for the two big parties, but no worse than that. All to play for at the GE and it changes little. The Tories have a London problem, Labour have a WWC problem. Even Steven.
    Some lefty smartarse on here a few weeks back claimed there is no such thing as WWC, hopefully he has learnt different now.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Joe Dromey is tweeting from the count. So they are counting right now. Lab just gained Downham from LD and and remaining Tory seat in Grove Par
    AndyJS said:

Previous information was that Lewisham was doing its council seat count tomorrow, with the mayoral count today. But I don't know if they've changed that.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Amusing to see this thread so full of an unholy alliance of Labour and UKIP supporters laying into lefty* academics on the basis a complete lack of understanding of notional national vote shares.

* I don't know for a fact they are all lefties, but I do know for a fact that some of them are, and strongly so. For the others we have to estimate, but they are academics, so we can model their political positioning fairly easily!

There's no misunderstanding.

Either their previous projected value of 23% was too high because it didn't take into account the London effect or the current 17% value is too low because it doesn't take into account the London effect.

It could quite easily be the former (and given how badly the pollsters predicted the London results i think it probably is).

That isn't Ukip declining. That's just a model that didn't take into account a major difference in voting pattern.

• Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

As for Thrasher, I did enjoy him following up his much less favourable comment by saying that attempts to downplay UKIP's results were 'mean' - who knows if this is a sly dig at OGH, or Fisher et al.

UKIP did a very poor job of expectations management, so if people are seeing this as a poor result it's partly the party's own fault. In terms of the locals, they don't seem to have advanced compared with last year, and may have gone backwards slightly.

Don't get me wrong, though - I still think they will clean up big-time in the Euros.
    Fair enough - in like for like areas I can't see any signs of a retreat - they've won more seats than last year, often in much more interesting areas. Winning the popular vote in Rotherham is a real wow result.

Rotherham looks like a special circumstances case rather than a general indicator. Elsewhere in Labour strongholds it seems to be that UKIP is hoovering up anti-Labour votes that were previously split among other parties, while nibbling at the Labour vote itself rather than taking great chunks out of it.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    More like 1974, or 1992 with two unappealing party leaders short of support and ideas, and unstable small majorities. Leading to either a thatcher or Blair hegemony.

I see Ed Miliband as Wilson, but without the canny common touch.
    Speedy said:

This new four party system will take a while to be properly understood by all of us. The past is no real help. But Labour getting 31% in a GE and basically being a majority government should, hopefully, give a few folk pause for thought.

UKIP was always going to have a great set of results this time. The key thing is how the other parties react. And the direction UKIP takes when it comes to write its 2015 manifesto.

2015GE might be a completely new type of election, I think the closest analogy is the 1922 or 1918 GE.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    Oops, Ed's favourite economist 'got his sums wrong', according to the FT:

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/469930822930534400/photo/1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    Basildon council, popular votes:

UKIP 15,163 (39.00%)
    Con 13,605 (34.99%)
    Lab 8,092 (20.81%)
    LD 1,846 (4.75%)

Changes since 2010 locals:

UKIP +35.12%
    Con -14.62%
    Lab -0.59%
    LD -13.53%
    BNP -6.83% (not standing this time)
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Dixie said:

Still not understanding the Media's view that Labour didn't do well. They've picked up more seats, more Councils and they are dominant in London.

In pre-vote unspun discussions it was generally reckoned that if Labour gained less than 150, Milliband was toast. He would survive, but be damaged, at around 250. The actual 300 or so is ok....sort of, but hardly a ringing endorsement.

My view of these locals is that it's a bit "meh" for the two big parties, but no worse than that. All to play for at the GE and it changes little. The Tories have a London problem, Labour have a WWC problem. Even Steven.
    Some lefty smartarse on here a few weeks back claimed there is no such thing as WWC, hopefully he has learnt different now.
    Well that wasn't me, and he is wrong.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970

@Pulpstar

Missed it, I'm afraid. I spend most of my time betting the horses these days. The margins are much tighter but there is action and decent liquidity most days.

Congrats to you and Neil though. Always pleased to learn of a decent gambler collecting.

I've gone Kingston Hill E/W @ 16s for the Derby, reckon thats any good ?

I can't be backing Australia at 5-6 !
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

As for Thrasher, I did enjoy him following up his much less favourable comment by saying that attempts to downplay UKIP's results were 'mean' - who knows if this is a sly dig at OGH, or Fisher et al.

UKIP did a very poor job of expectations management, so if people are seeing this as a poor result it's partly the party's own fault. In terms of the locals, they don't seem to have advanced compared with last year, and may have gone backwards slightly.

Don't get me wrong, though - I still think they will clean up big-time in the Euros.
    Fair enough - in like for like areas I can't see any signs of a retreat - they've won more seats than last year, often in much more interesting areas. Winning the popular vote in Rotherham is a real wow result.

Rotherham looks like a special circumstances case rather than a general indicator. Elsewhere in Labour strongholds it seems to be that UKIP is hoovering up anti-Labour votes that were previously split among other parties, while nibbling at the Labour vote itself rather than taking great chunks out of it.

It really gets interesting when these seats come up again, if UKIP can maintain reasonable momentum, at least for local and euro elections. Very different ball game when you start the campaign with a credible vote share to build on.
  • Options

Is anyone actually suggesting UKIP did badly? I haven't heard that and certainly not from the academics doing the projections. As I understood it they said that the UKIP vote falling back a bit is neither here nor there when over a four year period it has grown so much.

The BBC and Channel 4 keep saying the drop in *projected* share shows Ukip declining despite evidence to the contrary staring them in the face. It's a joke.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Is anyone actually suggesting UKIP did badly? I haven't heard that and certainly not from the academics doing the projections. As I understood it they said that the UKIP vote falling back a bit is neither here nor there when over a four year period it has grown so much.

OGH seems to think it's very relevant that these meta-numbers suggest UKIP's vote has fallen over 25% in a year. Some people think those numbers are obviously barmy, and others thing questioning those numbers is the preserve of fruitcakes and loons.
    OGH is clutching at straws, his hatred of UKIP is clouding his judgement.

A piss poor trait when it comes to betting.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

It really gets interesting when these seats come up again, if UKIP can maintain reasonable momentum, at least for local and euro elections. Very different ball game when you start the campaign with a credible vote share to build on.
    Wonder what UKIP's first overall control council will be ?

Basildon perhaps ?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    AndyJS said:

Basildon council, popular votes:

UKIP 15,163 (39.00%)
    Con 13,605 (34.99%)
    Lab 8,092 (20.81%)
    LD 1,846 (4.75%)

UKIP +35.12%
    Con -14.62%
    Lab -0.59%
    LD -13.53%
    BNP -6.83% (not standing this time)

Just Can't Get Enough :)
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Dixie said:

I know that wasn't you but I cannot remember who it was.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    Slight caveat to my earlier post.

Betfair has UKIP at

1.29-1.3 most votes

and

1.35-1.46 most seats.

So the betting does not indicate they are "certain" to get most votes. Just very, very likely. Both sets of prices indicate that a UKIP 25-35% vote is very likely indeed.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

FPT

dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/469941318224195586/photo/1

For some reason Farage looks like a Shar Pei fighting dog.

College looks as though he is sitting on a sharpened apostrophe.
    Forgive me, Comrade Chancellor, but who is "College". As you know I have been overseas for a number of weeks and don't recall said epithet being mentioned before I left.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2014
    @Avery

We have a problem for Rowenna...Conservatives just outpolled Labour yesterday in Itchen wards
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    And now 48 hours of waiting; well perhaps 42 for the Euro results.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Pulpstar

I've gone Kingston Hill E/W @ 16s for the Derby, reckon thats any good ?

I can't be backing Australia at 5-6 !
    I've got an Australia ticket at 5/2 but I also like Orchestra at a decent price, however if the predicted rain comes the ground could be crucial come race time.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

"I can't be backing Australia at 5-6 !"

Well, for The Ashes maybe.

Yes, hard not to like Kingston Hill, but I'll not be having a bet.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

OGH seems to think it's very relevant that these meta-numbers suggest UKIP's vote has fallen over 25% in a year. Some people think those numbers are obviously barmy, and others thing questioning those numbers is the preserve of fruitcakes and loons.

You don't think pb should pay attention to the BBC's national projections?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Why don't they use the absolute % of votes cast rather than come up with "projections"?

Because you can't directly compare them to last year's, because they're in different areas and the last time these seats were contested was in 2010 and if possible we'd like a more recent comparison.

UKIP up on 2010 is obvious, where they are in relation to 2013 is more interesting.
    But you just said:

"because they're in different areas and the last time these seats were contested was in 2010"

Yes?

We want recency and comparability. Last year's seats aren't comparable, and 2010's aren't recent.

So to fix that they try to project the annual results to a national figure to give use figures that are recent and comparable.
    Comparing this year's seats with last year's seats is akin to comparing Welsh Assembly with Scottish Parliament results. A completely different demographic.
    If you gave me the Westminster results of two regions of England I could probably take a fair shot at what the voting results in a 3rd region were.

So if I gave you London and, say, the NE Region, you could tell me the results in the SW? Really?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Dixie said:

Of course there is a white working class. The mistake is to see it as some homogenous grouping. There has always been a substantial non-Labour WWC vote. It's now migrating to UKIP. But in most Labour areas there has been no significant Labour to UKIP move. Rotherham is clearly an exception and there are specific reasons for it. NE Lincs may be another one. But elsewhere? I don't see much evidence. What Labour hasn't done is attracted new voters in its heartlands. That should worry them, but it's a different issue.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    The results would look very good for Labour if it was just London. They likely finished up 10% ahead of the Conservatives, and likely control 20 out of 32 boroughs.

The problem is that outside London, their performance was poor, overall.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    corporeal said:

maaarsh said:

No!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    corporeal said:

maaarsh said:

Do you think they should?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2014

More like 1974, or 1992 with two unappealing party leaders short of support and ideas, and unstable small majorities. Leading to either a thatcher or Blair hegemony.

I see Ed Miliband as Wilson, but without the canny common touch.

Speedy said:

This new four party system will take a while to be properly understood by all of us. The past is no real help. But Labour getting 31% in a GE and basically being a majority government should, hopefully, give a few folk pause for thought.

UKIP was always going to have a great set of results this time. The key thing is how the other parties react. And the direction UKIP takes when it comes to write its 2015 manifesto.

2015GE might be a completely new type of election, I think the closest analogy is the 1922 or 1918 GE.
    I was refering to the mess of at least 4 parties getting large number of votes and seats.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

maaarsh said:

The people whose model it is should be asked how come there's a big drop in Ukip's *projected* share when there's an obvious increase in their actual share on the ground outside London but not inside London.

The only explanation is *either* their previous projection was too high or the current projection is too low.

• Options
    Hi PtP.

If you are still there. Off topic.

I see Hillary is now strong favourite for the next POTUS election. Do your "connections"" indicate she is very likely to run?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    My Holloway ward had two LD councillors till this week, but the Greens were seen as coming on strong after doing well in the Mayoral and Assembly races. As it turned out, they and the LibDems split the non-Labour vote between them (the Tories didn't bother to stand), giving a huge Labour margin on about 55%. Possibly a straw in the wind that the Greens aren't doing that wonderfully. I know the figure that they got 10% where they stood - but there's a reason why they stood there...that they were the sort of wards they could expect to get 10%.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    edited May 2014
    Absolutely amazing scenes outside the count in Tower Hamlets! Approx 1500 supporters of Mayor Lutfur Rahman have gathered. Hoping he can win!
  • Options

My Holloway ward had two LD councillors till this week, but the Greens were seen as coming on strong after doing well in the Mayoral and Assembly races. As it turned out, they and the LibDems split the non-Labour vote between them (the Tories didn't bother to stand), giving a huge Labour margin on about 55%. Possibly a straw in the wind that the Greens aren't doing that wonderfully. I know the figure that they got 10% where they stood - but there's a reason why they stood there...that they were the sort of wards they could expect to get 10%.

That the Tories didn't even stand says something.

What's your view on why Labour is so strong here compared to elsewhere?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hope you were on Lutfur Rahman, smashed up with an 8000 majority or so !

Was only ever a 2 horse race, he was 5-4 -> 7-4.

@Neil pointed it out, was a stonking tip.

The result's not in, yet, is it?
    Is it not ?

I heard on twitter they were dancing in the streets of Lambeth.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Absolutely amazing scenes outside the count in Tower Hamlets! Approx 1500 supporters of Mayor Lutfur Rahman have gathered. Hoping he can win!

Lab supporters quietly taking off any rosettes and hiding in cupboards.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell its not ! I speak too soon.

• Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

But you just said:

Yes?

So if I gave you London and, say, the NE Region, you could tell me the results in the SW? Really?
    At the 2010 election

London (rounding off)
    Labour, -2
    Con +3
    LD 0
    UKIP 0

Cornwall
    Labour -7
    LD -3
    Con +9
    UKIP 0

(Wiki happened to have breakdowns for those two).

So taking London and part of the south west and no adjustments whatsoever you can see a vague relationship.

You don't think clever people with more data and better adjustments than that could find an even better set of relationships? Swings across the country tend not to be totally independent of each other..
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Andy - do you take total votes or just the highest candidate per party in a multi member ward?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Hi PtP.

If you are still there. Off topic.

I see Hillary is now strong favourite for the next POTUS election. Do your "connections"" indicate she is very likely to run?

Hi StJohn. Nice to hear from you again.

Things have been a bit quiet over there for a while. I have a lot of money invested on her running and am watching developments keenly. As far as I am concerned the position remains as it has been for many months - if she's fit, she runs, and if she runs, she wins (the nomination certainly, the Presidency probably.) All my sources, when last consulted, indicated she is fit and will run. I'll post if I detect any change in the wind, but there has been none for ages.

My understanding is that she won't formally declare her hand until about January 2015, but of course there are always those - like Rove - that will try one way or another to pressure her into an early announcement. Maybe that pressure will make her break cover sooner but you can see why she would want to hold back if she can.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell its not ! I speak too soon.

It seems they are going to keep counting and counting until they get the right result.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2014

Oops, Ed's favourite economist 'got his sums wrong', according to the FT:

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/469930822930534400/photo/1

This is another example of how pathetic the British media commentariat are. Don't engage with the substance of the argument, just pick at technicalities to try to destroy the person's "credibility". An approach they adopt towards British politics, and one of the reason politics is in such a mess and have opened the door for UKIP (because they stand for ideas and rock-solid principles, like or loathe them, rather than being forced into dry "competence" by the media).

Of course there is a white working class. The mistake is to see it as some homogenous grouping. There has always been a substantial non-Labour WWC vote. It's now migrating to UKIP. But in most Labour areas there has been no significant Labour to UKIP move. Rotherham is clearly an exception and there are specific reasons for it. NE Lincs may be another one. But elsewhere? I don't see much evidence. What Labour hasn't done is attracted new voters in its heartlands. That should worry them, but it's a different issue.

You're correct that it's too simplistic to say all the white working-class are one homogenous group who are all CORE, lifelong Labour voters. But that doesn't mean Labour should write them off. A large part of the working class/lower-middle class has since the 1970s, been part of the crucial swing vote, especially in places like Essex, the Midlands and parts of Yorkshire where people don't really have tribal affinities with one of the main parties or the other. Labour SHOULD be winning them over, and even if many of them voted Tory in 2010 (quelle surprise, a year where the Tories won the overall election, they won most of the swing voters too), I'm fairly sure many current UKIP voters will have voted Labour between 1997 and 2005, and many will have even been in the Labour column earlier in this parliament, especially 2012. Looking at where they came from in 2010 is far too simplistic.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

But you just said:

Yes?

At the 2010 election

London (rounding off)
    Labour, -2
    Con +3
    LD 0
    UKIP 0

Cornwall
    Labour -7
    LD -3
    Con +9
    UKIP 0

So taking London and part of the south west and no adjustments whatsoever you can see a vague relationship.

You don't think clever people with more data and better adjustments than that could find an even better set of relationships? Swings across the country tend not to be totally independent of each other..
    That would explain the lack of surprises in London.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014

AveryLP said:

FPT

dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/SkyNews/status/469941318224195586/photo/1

For some reason Farage looks like a Shar Pei fighting dog.

College looks as though he is sitting on a sharpened apostrophe.
    Forgive me, Comrade Chancellor, but who is "College". As you know I have been overseas for a number of weeks and don't recall said epithet being mentioned before I left.
    Comrade Sunilsky

This is College: http://bit.ly/1icw5uY

You will note that he is wearing an Old Harrovian tie, whereas in his 21st Century reincarnation the tie changed to an Old Etonian version (worn by Farage in his TV debate with Clegg).

Some PBers, e.g. Stodge, believe the moniker "College" refers to Nige's former school, Dulwich College, but there is no connection with his renounced status as an Old Alleynian.

P.S. In the above pic, College seems to be wearing an OE tie (the photo is a bit blurry. The original model is clearer: http://bit.ly/1gqaLH7 - definitely OH).
  • Options
    @StJohn Re your UKIP bet....

Yes, the math is fine and I can't see them scoring less than 25%. They could conceivably score just over 35%, but the odds of them doing so would be (much) shorter than 2/5. So the bet works.

What I want to know is how you get Ladbrokes to take enough of your money to make betting at 2/5 worthwhile - at gunpoint?
  • Options

corporeal said:

maaarsh said:

Do you think they should?
    Yes.

This isn't some random thing, it's Oxford professors with a track record of making this kind of projections.

By all means discuss it, critique it etc. But for a political site that deals heavily in polling, stats, projections etc to just ignore it would seem pretty odd to me.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    Tories now wiped out in Lewisham unless something really unexpected happens. Looks to be going the way of Newham. Labour polling 98.8% in some wards here. Probably.
  • Options
    Carlisle, popular votes:

Lab 8,394 (32.25%)
    Con 8,158 (31.34%)
    UKIP 5,741 (22.06%)
    Ind 1,468 (5.64%)
    Green 1,388 (5.33%)
    LD 705 (2.71%)
    TUSC 174 (0.67%)

Lab -4.20%
    Con -8.15%
    UKIP +21.39%
    Ind +3.37%
    Green +2.10%
    LD -10.80%
    TUSC -0.83%

Swing, Con to Lab: 6.18%
  • Options

@Avery

We have a problem for Rowenna...Conservatives just outpolled Labour yesterday in Itchen wards

Andrea

Just think of it as a glottal stop.

Her eloquence will only be paused.

• Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

But you just said:

Yes?

At the 2010 election

London (rounding off)
    Labour, -2
    Con +3
    LD 0
    UKIP 0

Cornwall
    Labour -7
    LD -3
    Con +9
    UKIP 0

Very vague! Example: Cornwall lost LDs, London didn't!
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Andy - do you take total votes or just the highest candidate per party in a multi member ward?

Total votes surely?
  • Options
    Thanks Peter.

That's very helpful.

I haven't had a bet - but given that there are still some doubts about her certainty to run and also her current general ability, I think she represents very poor value to actually be the next POTUS, at current odds. So no bet for me.

Please keep us posted.

All the best.
  • Options

@Avery

Yes I was surprised by the popular votes for the whole of Southampton which only gave Labour a lead of 1,676 (2.93%), and suspected the Tories might have done well in Itchen.
  • Options
    SouthamObserver1SouthamObserver1 Posts: 37
    edited May 2014
    @Danny565 - I agree completely. Labour's abject failure to engage with, let alone win over, those not already inclined to support the party is among the major failings of EdM's leadership. The problem is that he and Labour are happy in their not being the Tories comfort zone. And if you can effectively be a majority government on 31% of the vote what incentive do you have to change?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

maaarsh said:

Total votes surely?
    I'm using highest vote, not average or total votes.

For example if you have a ward where there are 3 Con, 3 Lab, 3 LD, 1 UKIP, 1 Green standing, you have to take just the highest vote otherwise you get an inflated result for the parties with 3 candidates.

Apparently people like Rallings & Thrasher use this method.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Thanks Peter.

That's very helpful.

I haven't had a bet - but given that there are still some doubts about her certainty to run and also her current general ability, I think she represents very poor value to actually be the next POTUS, at current odds. So no bet for me.

Please keep us posted.

All the best.

Yes, if I were starting from scratch I certainly wouldn't back her at the current odds, although I wouldn't lay either.

Bit more interesting on the Republican side. Have a look at Scott Walker, if you haven't already.

The best to you too.

• Options

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

But you just said:

Yes?

At the 2010 election

London (rounding off)
    Labour, -2
    Con +3
    LD 0
    UKIP 0

Cornwall
    Labour -7
    LD -3
    Con +9
    UKIP 0

Very vague! Example: Cornwall lost LDs, London didn't!
    Very vague sure, done with less than half the South West and with not even back of an envelope calculations for adjustments.

For example, in 2005 the Lib Dems polled well and won all 6 Cornish MPs so they were coming down from something of a high water mark. Whereas London not so much.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yes, the math is fine and I can't see them scoring less than 25%. They could conceivably score just over 35%, but the odds of them doing so would be (much) shorter than 2/5. So the bet works.

What I want to know is how you get Ladbrokes to take enough of your money to make betting at 2/5 worthwhile - at gunpoint?

Peter. Shadsy is very fair and allows some bets to be placed at OK stakes.

Btw, if he reads this, his politicalbookie.wordpress.com blog highlighted by OGH recently, is the best recent development in political betting in ages. Well worth a read each day.

I got £53.86 at 15/8 and £58.66 at 13/8 to win approx £42 on either outcome - or lose £112!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ilford North actual (NOT 'projected'!!) votes in the Local Election, 22/5/14:

(eight wards)

Con 41.2%
    Lab 38.9%
    UKIP 10.4%
    LD 6.3%
    Oth 3.2%
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

@Danny565 - I agree completely. Labour's abject failure to engage with, let alone win over, those not already inclined to support the party is among the major failings of EdM's leadership. The problem is that he and Labour are happy in their not being the Tories comfort zone. And if you can effectively be a majority government on 31% of the vote what incentive do you have to change?

I agree with you that's probably the complacent way of thinking for the likes of Douglas Alexander, and maybe even EdM himself, but I think they're foolish to think it. Even though I don't expect UKIP to completely collapse next year, I expect the Tories to peel off a few voters from them and get to 33-34% of the vote in next year's election, so if Labour stay stuck on 31% then they would be toast in such a scenario.

I do have a slight hope judging by some Labour people waking up and saying publicly that there needs to be a change, though. And I'm also hopeful that the penny might finally be dropping that the way to win over these types of working class/lower middle class supporters is absolutely NOT by embracing Tory economic policies. As I said earlier, I find it quite hard to believe that people are voting UKIP because they want so-called "economic credibility", when UKIP are pretty much the antithesis of "credibility". Nor do I believe people in grim Great Yarmouth which is suffering horribly economically, where there was one of the biggest Lab->UKIP swings compared to 2012, is desperately crying out for more spending cuts.
  • Options

Ilford North actual (NOT 'projected'!!) votes in the Local Election, 22/5/14:

(eight wards)

Con 41.2%
    Lab 38.9%
    UKIP 10.4%
    LD 6.3%
    Oth 3.2%

Looking at those figures, the Tories should be about 90% certain to hold Ilford North next year. The problems will come after that if the constituency continues to change.
  • Options
    @StJohn

Shadsy fair!!!!! How very dare you????!!!!! If he reads that, he'll feel insulted.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more and would encourage any political punter to check it daily.
  • Options
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

maaarsh said:

Total votes surely?
    I'm using highest vote, not average or total votes.

For example if you have a ward where there are 3 Con, 3 Lab, 3 LD, 1 UKIP, 1 Green standing, you have to take just the highest vote otherwise you get an inflated result for the parties with 3 candidates.

Apparently people like Rallings & Thrasher use this method.
    I used the total votes cast for Ilford North above. If only because they were the actual total number of votes cast.
  • Options
    2000 people waiting for the vote...now dispersed !
  • Options
    Nite everybody. Been an interesting and civilised forum tonite.
  • Options
    OK, here's Ilford North again, using top candidate only for each party with multiple candidates per ward:

Con 36.5%
    Lab 34.6%
    UKIP 12.9%
    LD 8.1%
    Oth 8.0%
  • Options
    A bar chart to cheer the kippers up:

http://bit.ly/1jFhCMt
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    BobaFett said:

That the Tories didn't even stand says something.

What's your view on why Labour is so strong here compared to elsewhere?
    It combines three core Labour voter cohorts - it's highly multi-ethnic and it's got a lot of young working-class people in jobs (so you don't get the demotivation that you run into in really run-down areas) plus some prosperous Guardian fringes (which is where the Green vote comes from). And rents are a significant issue, whereas relatively few people are anywhere near owning their homes so Tory stuff about help to buy and lower IHT seems pretty irrelevant.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited May 2014
    Greens just picked up a seat in Lewisham so it wont be a clean sweep for Labour there.

And Sian Berry has been elected in Camden. And there's a Green party leadership election due this summer. Just saying.
  • Options
    Swing in Carlisle should have been 1.98% not 6.18%. The rest of the post was correct.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

We'll win the Euro vote, comrade!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Are you lot still on about the BBC share of the vote?!
    UKIP did very well, they topped the polling in two councils, one of which was with, what, 29% of the vote and they got f all in most of London, Winchester, Manchester, Liverpool, Three Rivers, etc etc etc etc, and yet despite a great result, the kippers are bleating that the projected NATIONAL share isn't enough?
    Grow up. They don't run any councils, they are opposition in hardly any, they topped ten vote counts in 2013 and afaik two today. Yeah, they are crap in London, it's not like the rest of the councils were 'poor areas' for them - their vote is evenly distributed outside London and Scotland. They got fewer councillors than the busted Lib Dems, yet a higher national share.
    They are a party 'starting to register', to even pretend they are polling within 10-12% of either Red or Blue nationally in council elections is pathetic fantasy.
    Stop projecting where you want them to be, and deal with where they are. And while you're at it, be proud of what they achieved, whilst the rest of us are disgusted by it.
  • Options
    Lewisham must have changed their minds about counting the council seats tomorrow.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

"We", Comrade?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

"We", Comrade?

You must have missed my post yesterday where I said I voted Blue at local level but Purple at Euro level.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

"We", Comrade?

You must have missed my post yesterday where I said I voted Blue at local level but Purple at Euro level.
    Ah, the schizophrenic plural!

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Lewisham must have changed their minds about counting the council seats tomorrow.

I'm not sure Lewisham needed to count, Andy.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

"We", Comrade?

Ah, the schizophrenic plural!

'We' in the sense of football team 'we'
    'We' played really well on Saturday.
    Did you go to the game?
    No, I never go to the game.
  • Options
    Anyway the important thing is the triple ripple Essex real men have spoken. They love Nigel and they would like to drink and work out with him.
  • Options

UKIP did very well, they topped the polling in two councils, one of which was with, what, 29% of the vote and they got f all in most of London, Winchester, Manchester, Liverpool, Three Rivers, etc etc etc etc, and yet despite a great result, the kippers are bleating that the projected NATIONAL share isn't enough?
    Grow up. They don't run any councils, they are opposition in hardly any, they topped ten vote counts in 2013 and afaik two today. Yeah, they are crap in London, it's not like the rest of the councils were 'poor areas' for them - their vote is evenly distributed outside London and Scotland. They got fewer councillors than the busted Lib Dems, yet a higher national share.
    They are a party 'starting to register', to even pretend they are polling within 10-12% of either Red or Blue nationally in council elections is pathetic fantasy.
    Stop projecting where you want them to be, and deal with where they are. And while you're at it, be proud of what they achieved, whilst the rest of us are disgusted by it.

You don't understand the argument.
  • Options
    I'm expecting a riot in Tower Hamlets if Biggs wins - although he prob won't.
  • Options
    Welwyn Hatfield, popular votes:

Con 11,000 (38.68%)
    Lab 6,326 (22.24%)
    UKIP 6,243 (21.95%)
    LD 3,374 (11.86%)
    Green 1,318 (4.63%)
    TUSC 177 (0.62%)

Con -13.31%
    Lab +0.15%
    UKIP +21.95%
    LD -11.27%
    Green +2.31%
    TUSC +0.62%

Swing, Con to Lab: 6.73%
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Now I think about it...

I think the 23% last time was too high quite honestly.

@dyedwoolie UKIP neither fills me with pride nor digusts me to be honest.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Of course I do. Nothing in the results from Thursday suggests that UKIP would be scoring over 17% nationally.
    The Beeb quite clearly screwed up the vote shares in 2013, when UKIP were nowhere near being within 2% of the Tories nationally.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

Now I think about it...

"I think the 23% last time was too high quite honestly."

Yeah.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

Now I think about it...

"I think the 23% last time was too high quite honestly."

Yeah.
    Precisely. 2014 is accurate. 2013 wasn't.
  • Options
    St Albans, popular vote:

Con 17,018 (36.58%)
    LD 10,985 (23.61%)
    Lab 9,137 (19.64%)
    UKIP 4,705 (10.11%)
    Green 3,424 (7.36%)
    Ind 1,241 (2.67%)
    TUSC 14 (0.03%)

Con -5.45%
    LD -14.63%
    Lab +5.49%
    UKIP +9.61%
    Green +2.63%
    Ind +2.64%
  • Options
    Actual votes in 2010 were 20% for UKIP, and that didn't include London, Scotland, Wales. So I agree the projection of 23% probably wasn't right. If anything it should have been about 15%.
  • Options
    UKIP 1.26/1.27

Lutfur Rahman has won !
  • Options
    Thanks for the links.
  • Options
    Thanks for the links.
This discussion has been closed.