Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Locals 2014: Afternoon update – The UKIP fox is in the West

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Locals 2014: Afternoon update – The UKIP fox is in the Westminster hen house

Often success  equals performance minus anticipation, using Rallings and Thrasher’s projections for the locals, of Lab 490 gains, the Cons and Lib Dems 220 and 350 losses respectively, and UKIP to make 80 gains, so far it is a great set of elections for UKIP as they have impress results all over England, and for the coalition parties an as expected, and as good as Rallings and Thrasher were …

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    FPT
    It remains a fact that despite UKIP's successes in the locals in these seats Labour will have 10x more councillors, the tories more than 7 times and even the Lib Dems 2.5x. And they will not control a single council. Impressive but a long way to go.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    The best part of local elections is how the morning after every party leader says that there has been a clear message that their party should carry on doing exactly what they planned.

Labour: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people want us in charge.
    Tories: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people want more of our policies passed into law and are voting against the Lib Dem nonsense.
    LDs: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people just don't understand all the good work we're doing - they want us to do even more.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. L, indeed, but as I mentioned on the prior thread, if the seat churn we've seen so far occurs again the next time these seats are contested UKIP would move into third (for these particular seats).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    Quincel said:

The best part of local elections is how the morning after every party leader says that there has been a clear message that their party should carry on doing exactly what they planned.

Labour: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people want us in charge.
    Tories: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people want more of our policies passed into law and are voting against the Lib Dem nonsense.
    LDs: There's been a very clear message against the government, clearly people just don't understand all the good work we're doing - they want us to do even more.

Hopi Sen's take on it is brilliant as usual

http://hopisen.com/2014/election-night-what-they-didnt-say/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    FPT

Sky News reporting about Farage in Thurrock

"He was mobbed when he got there, I heard someone say 'I havent seen anything like this since Elvis was here.. ' there were two grown men crying saying 'Thank you Thank you Mr Farage' "

When was Elvis in Thurrock?! Elvis Costello??!!

Think I got the value w 16/1 though, and I think 6/1 is still value.

Prob about 9/4 in my book
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers

.@JohnMannMP attacks 'pointyheads' at top of Lab for 'disastrous strategy'. 'People like me and voters I represent are not being heard'

There was a 'strategy' ? - what was it, bacon butties and shrinking Clegg..?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    FPT

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

Looks like Labour have already passed their target of 150 gains.

Looks to me like at least 250 gains looks likely.

But well short of what the independent experts suggest they should be doing;

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/04/29/the-2014-rallings-and-thrasher-local-elections-forecasts/#vanilla-comments

Quite. Transparently poor spinning from Labour.
    Worth bringing OGH's tweet forward to this thread:

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Prof Colin Rallings projection for May 22 locals

CON -160
    LAB +500
    LD - 340
    Ukip ???

9:53 AM - 29 Apr 2014
    And the ??? is why their "forecast" was a guess. As was Prof Fisher who gave Labour a projection of +130 but "doesn't have a figure for UKIP because his model doesn't cover it" according to The Guardian.

Two psephologists. Two Labour forecasts at opposite ends of the spectrum. Generated by two models which do not account for the fact that we are now in a 4 party world. In other words useless outdated guesses.

RP

Save your energy and imagination for finding a replacement for Ed Miliband.

There is no spin possible that can turn Labour's performance into a triumph.

And it is not the psephologists who are to blame.

Not a triumph, not a disaster. Steady as she goes. A hung parliament in 2015, Labour most seats very possible. UKIP emerging as the main opposition to Labour in many parts of the north, but not winning seats. But Ed is certainly a drag on the Labour vote.

SO

What today's results tell us is that Ed has lost the 2015 General Election.

What is unknown is whether UKIP will be able to save him by giving him back what he has lost.

Whatever the result, it is now out of EdM's hands and control.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

FPT
    It remains a fact that despite UKIP's successes in the locals in these seats Labour will have 10x more councillors, the tories more than 7 times and even the Lib Dems 2.5x. And they will not control a single council. Impressive but a long way to go.

It's not just UKIP's wins though. Their second places identify targets for the next round of elections.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Gateshead final figures Lab 18 seats Lib Dems 4 seats no seats changed hands
    South Tyneside Lab 16 seats Con 1 seat Ind 1 seat Lab gain 1 from UKIP , Ind gain 1 from Lab
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    isam said:

FPT

"He was mobbed when he got there, I heard someone say 'I havent seen anything like this since Elvis was here.. ' there were two grown men crying saying 'Thank you Thank you Mr Farage' "

16/10/2013 Single To Win UKIP @ 16/1
    Constituency Betting
    Thurrock Pending £5.00

Thanks for the tip ^_~
  • Options
    For all those silly sausages who think Lab can defeat Clegg in Sheffield Hallam, here's an indicator, this is the Dore and Totley ward.

Labour Party: David Crosby
    Votes: 842

Conservative Party: Alex Dale
    Votes: 1603

Liberal Democrat: Martin Richard Smith
    Votes: 2452

UK Independence Party (UKIP): Jason Christopher Sullivan
    Votes: 861

Green Party: Rita Louise Wilcock
    Votes: 437
  • Options
    isam said:

FPT

Great tip
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    AveryLP said:

FPT

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

Looks like Labour have already passed their target of 150 gains.

Looks to me like at least 250 gains looks likely.

But well short of what the independent experts suggest they should be doing;

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/04/29/the-2014-rallings-and-thrasher-local-elections-forecasts/#vanilla-comments

Quite. Transparently poor spinning from Labour.
    Worth bringing OGH's tweet forward to this thread:

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

Prof Colin Rallings projection for May 22 locals

CON -160
    LAB +500
    LD - 340
    Ukip ???

9:53 AM - 29 Apr 2014
    And the ??? is why their "forecast" was a guess. As was Prof Fisher who gave Labour a projection of +130 but "doesn't have a figure for UKIP because his model doesn't cover it" according to The Guardian.

Two psephologists. Two Labour forecasts at opposite ends of the spectrum. Generated by two models which do not account for the fact that we are now in a 4 party world. In other words useless outdated guesses.

RP

Save your energy and imagination for finding a replacement for Ed Miliband.

There is no spin possible that can turn Labour's performance into a triumph.

And it is not the psephologists who are to blame.

Not a triumph, not a disaster. Steady as she goes. A hung parliament in 2015, Labour most seats very possible. UKIP emerging as the main opposition to Labour in many parts of the north, but not winning seats. But Ed is certainly a drag on the Labour vote.

SO

What today's results tell us is that Ed has lost the 2015 General Election.

What is unknown is whether UKIP will be able to save him by giving him back what he has lost.

Whatever the result, it is now out of EdM's hands and control.

I think that was always the case.

I remain very surprised that given his undoubted crapness, Labour's general and palpable weakness, and a recovering economy the Tories are not huge favourites to win an outright majority next year. Making the GE all about Ed is probably their only realistic hope now.
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 35m
    Isn't it wonderful to hear the establishment parties now saying they must listen to the voters concerns #doh
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    54% in according to the BBC and the Conservatives are heading for 250 losses, LibDems 280, UKIP 185 gains, Labour 315, on the naive measure. A small variation on the forecast at the 45% stage.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Until Ukip actually control a council they haven't really had a breakthrough
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The votes for UKIP in Rotherham raise the possibility of UKIP taking seats from all three of the main Westminster parties at the general election.

That would be quite something.
  • Options
    Thailand: former PM Yingluck Shinawatra is being held at a camp by the army:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27544972
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    PB's Dr Fox won't like the thread title :)
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

54% in according to the BBC and the Conservatives are heading for 250 losses, LibDems 280, UKIP 185 gains, Labour 315, on the naive measure. A small variation on the forecast at the 45% stage.

Given R&T grossly underestimated UKIP last time and this, over 300 gains for Labour wouldn't actually be that shabby. Though if they were a stronger opposition they'd be clearing 400 with ease, there's no denying it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    These Locals are but an electoral appetiser before Sunday's European Psephological Banquet!
  • Options
    Mr. Me, depends where they target. Farage was stating the purples would heavily target individual seats, so hopefully they won't go for the broad and shallow nonsense which they went for in the recent past.
  • Options
    Lib Dems retain control of Three Rivers DC 1 ward recounting with 3 seats but currently stands as LD having 21 seats Con 12 seats Lab 3 seats
  • Options
    isam said:

Isn't it wonderful to hear the establishment parties now saying they must listen to the voters concerns #doh

Not really. Sounds like pretty much word for word what they said after the 2009 elections.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Have updated the results spreadsheet for most of the newly declared councils:
    http://goo.gl/4AJwpD
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    A fair bit of talk about how we are now entering an age of a 4 (main) parties. Perhaps an alternative view might that we are not, we are remaining with three (main) parties, just the third party is being replaced with a new one. It is a process that will undoubtedly take a while but in terms of popular support (and membership) the Lib Dems are, currently, being overhauled by the UKIP.

The good Dr. Sox, medicus of this parish, said earlier that he was confident that the Lib Dems had a bright future as the sole sensible party of the centre and were just going through a rough patch. I dare say that nearly a hundred years ago Liberals were saying much the same thing with regard to the rise of the Labour Party, but this time they are starting from a much lower base.

I don't know, I could be completely wrong (I often am), but I do think there is a change of mood going on and it will not necessarily be to the Lib Dems advantage.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
  • Options
    Ed puts the Red into Redbridge?
  • Options

Mr. Me, depends where they target. Farage was stating the purples would heavily target individual seats, so hopefully they won't go for the broad and shallow nonsense which they went for in the recent past.

In a sense I think UKIP would be fortunate if they come close but not too close in some Labour seats. It might make Labour make the mistake again of thinking UKIP only threaten the Tories.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, are you suggesting he's Mili no mates?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

isam said:

Not really. Sounds like pretty much word for word what they said after the 2009 elections.
    I think he was being sarcastic.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nigel Farage should be mindful that a fox in the hen house tends to be hunted down and shot dead.

Tally Ho !!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    RobD said:

Have updated the results spreadsheet for most of the newly declared councils:
    http://goo.gl/4AJwpD

That's almost as tabtacular as my betting spreadsheet.

Which is due a reconciliation after the Euros.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

Thailand: former PM Yingluck Shinawatra is being held at a camp by the army:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27544972

It could be you next, Mr Blair.
  • Options

Targeting will be very important for UKIP, no doubt about it, but I'd suggest a pretty decent target list would start with the following three seats: Thurrock (Conservative), Eastleigh (Lib Dem) and Rotherham (Labour).

Chuck in South Thanet (Conservative) as Farage's personal target and it still looks a lot more balanced then the political commentariat give credit for.
  • Options
    I'm not Tony Blair! What a thing to say, Mr. Rentool.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    isam said:

It would be even more wonderful if there was any person on this earth who could articulate how exactly the voters' concerns could be addressed, other than by the government doing what it is already doing or (in the case of the Tories) plans to do.
  • Options

Lib Dems retain control of Three Rivers DC 1 ward recounting with 3 seats but currently stands as LD having 21 seats Con 12 seats Lab 3 seats

Final ward splits 2 LD 1 Con final result LD 23 Con 13 Lab 3

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

Not you - you, you - him! If you know what I mean.

• Options

I see the similarities between you and a young Tony Blair.

Very articulate with words, very popular, and making a huge blunder for which you won't agree was a mistake (Iraq and thinking Hannibal was any good, and better than Caesar)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Ed puts the Red into Redbridge?

Nige puts the age into Dagenham?

Helmer supplies the Barking.

• Options
    Labour gain control of Crawley council
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

FPT

Great tip
    Thank you

South Basildon & East Thurrock was 20/1, but I cant seem to find it now.. that is a decent bet too in double figures.

Romford, Hx & Upminster and Dagenham & Rainham are worth keepeing an eye on if anyone prices them up too, especially if UKIP does better than expected in Havering.. I wouldnt mind betting they win the council

EDIT: Maybe not!!

http://democracy.havering.gov.uk/mgElectionResults.aspx?ID=3&RPID=1001185700

• Options

Mark, any news from Watford Council ?

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, sadly, I'm far poorer than Blair :(

Not sure about the popular bit either. On the other hand, Demosthenes was popular, and that didn't work out very well for Athens.
  • Options
    Good, balanced overview. But I can't help noticing that the author himself doesn't look old enough to vote (lucky b*gger)
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

These Locals are but an electoral appetiser before Sunday's European Psephological Banquet!

I think An Independence could surprise us all. It appeals to the dim Kipper, the drunk, the frivolous and the NOTA-and-don't-like-Farage-either. If it also gets some of the specifically bien-pensant Farage-haters, that's quite a lot of votes. And it might get that, because it is a much more vindictive way of spoiling Farage's day than boringly voting Lib/Lab/Con.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

FPT

Great tip
    Thank you

South Basildon & East Thurrock was 20/1, but I cant seem to find it now.. that is a decent bet too in double figures.

Romford, Hx & Upminster and Dagenham & Rainham are worth keepeing an eye on if anyone prices them up too, especially if UKIP does better than expected in Havering.. I wouldnt mind betting they win the council

Is a pity no bookie has priced up Rotherham

16/1 on UKIP to win Grimsby looks good.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, there are worse things than looking older than you are (says the rapidly balding morris dancer).
  • Options
    Dr. X, I hope not. The name and the tagline both look very dubious to my eyes.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

I think An Independence could surprise us all. It appeals to the dim Kipper, the drunk, the frivolous and the NOTA-and-don't-like-Farage-either. If it also gets some of the specifically bien-pensant Farage-haters, that's quite a lot of votes. And it might get that, because it is a much more vindictive way of spoiling Farage's day than boringly voting Lib/Lab/Con.

Given the history of some of its candidates you missed out 'the racist' from your list of people it might appeal to.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Still counting , they counted the mayoral votes first , Dorothy Thornhill re elected easily .
  • Options
    BBC - LibDem HOLD Watford

No further details.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Targeting will be very important for UKIP, no doubt about it, but I'd suggest a pretty decent target list would start with the following three seats: Thurrock (Conservative), Eastleigh (Lib Dem) and Rotherham (Labour).

Chuck in South Thanet (Conservative) as Farage's personal target and it still looks a lot more balanced then the political commentariat give credit for.
    They would do well to look at Castle Point if they can Hoover up Bob Spinks 2010 vote, Great Yarmouth, and from Labour some of the declining former safe seats like Morley and Outwood, Great Grimsby and the like. from the Lib Dems, hammer Cornwall.
  • Options
    Huntingdonshire remains Tory controlled, Ukip only took 2 seats, thought they would do better here
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Typically for this forum, lots of "Labour doing worse than expected"* stuff. Very little mention that the Tories are also doing worse than expected*

*By Rallings.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Michael Howard won 13 councils and 174 seats on 2004 a year before GE. local elections are a tool for bashing the government not necessarily an indicator of the next GE result, infact does anyone know the last time an opposition was only 5% ahead 12 months before the GE and went on to win?
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, I'd be greatly surprised if UKIP could win here. They could make a strong step forward, but a win is very unlikely, I think.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

FPT

Great tip
    Thank you

Is a pity no bookie has priced up Rotherham

16/1 on UKIP to win Grimsby looks good.
    Yes they have won 5 seats there I think?

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Crawley: More evidence of Labour's "Southern Discomfort"?

Labour seem to be having a decent day in the South. It's the north where they haven't done as well...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Harrow looking very tight between Con and Lab. Cons have gained 1 seat, but otherwise no change.
  • Options

JackW said:

Still counting , they counted the mayoral votes first , Dorothy Thornhill re elected easily .
    Thanks Mark .... The Beeb just flashed LibDem HOLD Watford.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2014
    A brilliant job done by UKIP of splitting the Tory vote in my local ward, causing 3 Lib Dems and 0 Conservatives to be elected:

http://moderngov.kingston.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=65&RPID=13339778

The combined total of any of the Tory and Ukip candidates would have defeated all of the Lib Dems. I wonder if we will see similar results in the GE next year?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    BobaFett said:

Typically for this forum, lots of "Labour doing worse than expected"* stuff. Very little mention that the Tories are also doing worse than expected*

*By Rallings.

Oh Gawd, Whining Bob's back.
  • Options

A brilliant job done by UKIP of splitting the Tory vote in my local ward, allowing 3 Lib Dems to be elected:

http://moderngov.kingston.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=65&RPID=13339778

The combined total of any of the Tory and Ukip candidates would have defeated any of the Lib Dems. I wonder if we will see similar results in the GE next year?

Looking at those vote totals I think it would be more accurate to say that in two of the three cases it was the Tories who split the UKIP vote.
  • Options
    Libs doing well in Romford haha!

Party name Seats won % of votes
    Conservative Party 3 35%
    UKIP Local Residents 0 26%
    Pettits Res Assoc 0 21%
    Labour Party 0 17%
    Liberal Democrat 0 < 1%
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    A brilliant job done by UKIP of splitting the Tory vote in my local ward, allowing 3 Lib Dems to be elected:

Commiserations must be very frustrating
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Harrow looking very tight between Con and Lab. Cons have gained 1 seat, but otherwise no change.

Any news of he who should not be named ?!?

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

Given the history of some of its candidates you missed out 'the racist' from your list of people it might appeal to.
    I think the number of votes it has got for its actually policies, if anyone knows what they are, will be statistically insignificant.

• Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Is Voldemort standing for the Tories?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    The thing is there were all those people saying that labour was struggling in the south thanks to Miliband going on about the 'north south divide'. Apparently Ed's 'lurch to the left' had alienated southern voters. Yet the bigger problems for Labour seem to be in the north. Front page of The Western Mail suggests Labour and Ukip are in for a photo finish to see who tops the poll in Wales for the Euros. I have my doubts, as Labour not winning would be remarkable; but who knows? Labour certainly have problems in their heartlands - outside London.
  • Options

Mr. Woolie, I'd be greatly surprised if UKIP could win here. They could make a strong step forward, but a win is very unlikely, I think.

Where are you Morris?

• Options

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Neil Hamilton lost his council bid.
  • Options

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

I rather fear he is ....

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    isam said:

Libs doing well in Romford haha!

Now now, Mr Isam, no gloating - BTW, hope your cat is feeling a little better today since Barbara Roche has been removed from the airwaves. ; )
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Beeb kicking Vince out in Twickers! Lol
  • Options
    Hmm this aint good

Boris Watch ‏@BorisWatch 1m

UKIP SURGE IN HAVERING AS TORIES TAKE 6 NIL LEAD IN SEATS
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

I think the number of votes it has got for its actually policies, if anyone knows what they are, will be statistically insignificant.

It is not so much the policies - about which most people will not have a clue - more the fact that a fair few of its candidates were kicked out of UKIP for racist comments or for trying to foster links between UKIP and the BNP.

I find it amusing that those who say the don't want to vote UKIP because they are racist are in some cases choosing instead to vote for the racist element that got kicked out of UKIP. Shows the level of intelligence of those voters.
  • Options
    Please put down any objects before reading this twitter exchange

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 6m

Ed puts the Red into Redbridge? #vote2014

great kahn ‏@genghisthekahn 1m

@Sunil_P2 Goodness knows what he would do in Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    feather stone gone, hahaha
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

isam said:

It would be even more wonderful if there was any person on this earth who could articulate how exactly the voters' concerns could be addressed, other than by the government doing what it is already doing or (in the case of the Tories) plans to do.
    In London it is very easy to identify policies that people will respond to. Help Generation Rent. Build low cost housing and limit sales to people on the basic rate. That goes for a lot of urban areas nof just London. Generation rent should be natural Tory targets, decent income levels well educated etc... But they are stuck in a rental market paying off some arsehole's buy-to-let mortgage and the government have left this generation to rot in the rental market. HtB is completely useless for London so the current prescription falls on deaf ears. In areas where generation rent have a big presence the Tories have done poorly. They must govern in the interests of normal people and not for bloody landlords looking for easy returns by buying up London property.
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, Morley & Outwood, seat of Balls.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ishmael_X said:

I took the trouble to find out, out of curiosity. Their policies are identical to UKIP's, for all practical purposes. The only point of disagreement seems to be that they want the UK to leave the EU immediately, whereas (they claim) UKIP wants to use the Lisbon Treaty procedure which takes two years. It seems an odd point to go to the trouble of setting up a whole political party for, but there we go.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2014

The thing is there were all those people saying that labour was struggling in the south thanks to Miliband going on about the 'north south divide'. Apparently Ed's 'lurch to the left' had alienated southern voters. Yet the bigger problems for Labour seem to be in the north. Front page of The Western Mail suggests Labour and Ukip are in for a photo finish to see who tops the poll in Wales for the Euros. I have my doubts, as Labour not winning would be remarkable; but who knows? Labour certainly have problems in their heartlands - outside London.

Exactly what I've been saying for ages. The Westminster media's narrative that Labour have a problem with southerners and the middle class has always been laughably moronic and completely out of step with the reality. Their problem is the exact opposite: far from middle class people fretting about the deficit and thinking Labour are loony lefties, the real problem is working-class people thinking Labour are middle-class sellouts who would not do anything to help the poor and who suck up to the elite.
  • Options
    BBC going through various constituencies where Lib Dems lost on the vote yesterday - Solihull, Cambridge, Twickenham, Horney & Wood Green
  • Options

Mr. Woolie, Morley & Outwood, seat of Balls.

I would too, buts it's a good target. It was an overachieve for the 2010 Tories, there's a BNP presence to squeeze and Labour are declining there. A 25% and one more heave might take it in 2020
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Some of you are far too unadventurous in your UKIP bets. I have them to win Waveney at 50/1, Hastings & Rye at 100/1 and Blackpool North & Cleveleys at 250/1.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Interesting results in Southampton, Lab -2 and Con +2, No Ukip seats. Should make Southampton Itchen very interesting next year. Labour should not be losing seats at this time in the electoral cycle in Southampton. Again am very surprised UKIP didn't win any here.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited May 2014
    In London it is very easy to identify policies that people will respond to

Absolutely, Mr Max. Do you think it would help if the tories also...

1. cut personal income taxes further

2. Hiked the 'no stamp duty' threshold to, say, half a million?

• Options
    BBC -LAB LOSE NE Lincolnshire
  • Options
    currystar said:

Interesting results in Southampton, Lab -2 and Con +2, No Ukip seats. Should make Southampton Itchen very interesting next year. Labour should not be losing seats at this time in the electoral cycle in Southampton. Again am very surprised UKIP didn't win any here.

*whistles* someone tipped Soton for a 2015 Tory gain earlier :-D
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

• Options
    Quincel said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Neil Hamilton lost his council bid.
    I have always considered him more of a Peter Pettigrew character (the untrustworthy rat for those of you who don't get the HP reference). Or perhaps for LOTR references more of a Dweomer Wormtongue character.
  • Options
    Mr. Woolie, the Conservatives are 1,000 votes only adrift of victory. They and Labour will probably put quite a bit into the seat. UKIP may well have lower hanging fruit to pick elsewhere.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

*By Rallings.

It would be informative and useful if you would directly compare the figures. Providing the balance you seek by adding some value to the site in that way might be better than carping that people aren't saying things that you approve of.

Rallings projection (from the tweet that TSE reposted to the previous thread), compared to results from the BBC after 94 councils.

Conservative -160 predicted [-156 actual]
    Labour +500 [+180]
    Lib Dems -340 [-168]
    UKIP ??? [+122]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    antifrank said:

Some of you are far too unadventurous in your UKIP bets. I have them to win Waveney at 50/1, Hastings & Rye at 100/1 and Blackpool North & Cleveleys at 250/1.

Because I was bored, I just calculated what a £25 accumulator would get you (if bookies allowed accumulators on seats)

£32,322,525
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Spin spin spin the vote
    Firmly for your team
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
    Life is but a dream
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

I rather fear he is ....

Not yet. Great Yarmouth is 6 UKIP, 1 Conservative, 2 Labour, with 4 to declare.

• Options
    Mr. Tyndall, surely Grima? Are you thinking of the Dwemer from the Elder Scrolls?
This discussion has been closed.