Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome back Marf and the second 35% share for LAB from You

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    Another reason not to like Nigel Farage, in The Times today, he admits he is a Crystal Palace fan.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. eek, yes and no. Thanks for the link, I've done much of it already (partly off my own bat, partly from advice from a similar).

I'm loathe to download anything extra (already got ClamWin and Malwarebytes, in addition to Microsoft Forefront something or other (updated/upgraded version of MSSE)) unless it's absolutely essential.

Another weird thing is that there was no FBdownloader in the programmes to uninstall (incidentally, that was set as the homepage but the search was 'wisersearch' or somesuch nonsense, which I got rid of). I'm utterly confounded as to where it came from.

Going to try a full Malwarebytes scan, then do a system restore (unless you think it's essential, and safe, I download the thingummyjig from your link and use that first).

I appreciate your help [again].
  • Options
    New Populus VI: Lab 36 (=); Cons 32 (-1); LD 8 (=); UKIP 16 (+2); Oth 8 (-1) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140509
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @patrickwintour: Kevin Toolis on Labour's PEB "awesomely bad, a grotesque dog of a film, superlatively inept, politically unhinged". http://t.co/OXHofMBnz4
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Online UKIPers are less unpleasant than online Tories.

In order of unpleasantness, it probably goes something like, from worst to least bad:

EDL
    Orange Order
    BNP
    Ulster Unionists
    Tories
    Lib Dems
    UKIP
    Labour
    SNP
    Plaid
    Greens
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Another reason not to like Nigel Farage, in The Times today, he admits he is a Crystal Palace fan.

Well most of his policies come from the time of the Great Exhibition so I guess that's appropriate
  • Options
    Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 40s

The Vengaboys are back, and they've made a World Cup song! What a time to be alive! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGnvAY_v98 … #BrazilNuts
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

Two words which must be especially worrying for the red team are 'Johann' and 'Lamont'. Dearie, dearie, dearie, dearie me.

Any special reason today, please?

I think the reason was that we'd had 50 comments and none of them were about the council bye election thing you guys are having in September.
    Well, Ms Lamont could have been talking about UKIP or voting systems for all we know!

I think Stuart's latest post suggest alas that that was not the case.

Farage is up in Edinburgh today - have you put the pitchforks into the furnace to warm up ?
    Wouldn't dream of it - that would be inhospitable and we can't have that. He might want to immigrate after independence, after all. But I must admit I would be tempted just to sit back with a cup of tea and slice of Selkirk Bannock and home made blackcurrant jam, and wait to see what the local Labour students and activists get up to. (BTW, it was a bit rich of Willie Rennie the LD to sort of blame their last year's efforts on Mr Salmond personally. Doesn't say much for him if he thinks Mr S controls the Labour party machine!).
    Carnyx, I wonder if the protesters will be English again or will we see a few Scots involved.
    Those embarrassing scenes in Edinburgh. How reassuring that it was the English at fault, as ever.
    I wouldn't have any problem with anyone expressing their views within eason. But it is a bit much when the Unionists and UKIP specifically blame "Scots" for the demo last year and call them racist when it was nothing of the sort. It is only when that smearing happened that anyone even thought of inquiring where the demonstrators came from.

That is, apart from anything else, very silly - if one is planning a political campaign one should at least get the opposition correct.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981

Underdogs with noisy supporters capable of defeating the big teams?
  • Options

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (=); Cons 32 (-1); LD 8 (=); UKIP 16 (+2); Oth 8 (-1) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140509

Ignore, YouGov is the current gold standard. Probably.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

In order of unpleasantness, it probably goes something like, from worst to least bad:

EDL
    Orange Order
    BNP
    Ulster Unionists
    Tories
    Lib Dems
    UKIP
    Labour
    SNP
    Plaid
    Greens
    1) Self praise is no praise
    2) malc and the divvie would suggest you are wrong.
  • Options

As a Liverpool fan, this is not the best week to talk about the qualities of Crystal Palace.
  • Options

Backed Scotland to beat England today, 8/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/scotland-v-england/winner

That was brave. In the 'Yes Minister' sense of the word.
    You haven't been following the England cricket team this winter.
    I haven't been following the England cricket team any winter. Or any spring, any summer or any autumn.

And you could repeat that for every sport in every country of the world during every season of every year.

Sport is for participating in, not for watching. Paint drying is more scintillating.
  • Options

Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 40s

The Vengaboys are back, and they've made a World Cup song! What a time to be alive! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGnvAY_v98 … #BrazilNuts

The Vengabus is coming, and everybody's on it.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

Two words which must be especially worrying for the red team are 'Johann' and 'Lamont'. Dearie, dearie, dearie, dearie me.

I think the reason was that we'd had 50 comments and none of them were about the council bye election thing you guys are having in September.
    Well, Ms Lamont could have been talking about UKIP or voting systems for all we know!

Farage is up in Edinburgh today - have you put the pitchforks into the furnace to warm up ?
    Wouldn't dream of it - that would be inhospitable and we can't have that. He might want to immigrate after independence, after all. But I must admit I would be tempted just to sit back with a cup of tea and slice of Selkirk Bannock and home made blackcurrant jam, and wait to see what the local Labour students and activists get up to. (BTW, it was a bit rich of Willie Rennie the LD to sort of blame their last year's efforts on Mr Salmond personally. Doesn't say much for him if he thinks Mr S controls the Labour party machine!).
    Rennie calling people protesting "dogs" seems to be a bit intemperate and very stupid even for a Lib Dem.

Especially for a LD, given that Rinka the Great Dane promptly comes to heel, mentally speaking ...

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289

Well most of his policies come from the time of the Great Exhibition so I guess that's appropriate
    That's the first time I'd heard that. Chuka Umunna and Eddie Izzard are Palace's other most notable fans with political connections.

Eagles!

• Options

Charlton fans refer to Palace fans as "stripy Nigels" - true fact. Farage must be a pin stripy Nigel.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Blimey! Thats one of Populus' best polls for UKIP. They must have finally decided that theres something in that party, after all.
  • Options

Backed Scotland to beat England today, 8/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/scotland-v-england/winner

That was brave. In the 'Yes Minister' sense of the word.
    You haven't been following the England cricket team this winter.
    I haven't been following the England cricket team any winter. Or any spring, any summer or any autumn.

And you could repeat that for every sport in every country of the world during every season of every year.

Sport is for participating in, not for watching. Paint drying is more scintillating.
    As a Scot, I understand why you ignore sport, a grim time to be a Scottish Sports fan.

Except when England play in World Cups of course.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx, I wonder if the protesters will be English again or will we see a few Scots involved.
    Those embarrassing scenes in Edinburgh. How reassuring that it was the English at fault, as ever.
    I wouldn't have any problem with anyone expressing their views within eason. But it is a bit much when the Unionists and UKIP specifically blame "Scots" for the demo last year and call them racist when it was nothing of the sort. It is only when that smearing happened that anyone even thought of inquiring where the demonstrators came from.

That is, apart from anything else, very silly - if one is planning a political campaign one should at least get the opposition correct.
    They are incapable of planning anything. They are running around like headless chickens. And boy, does it show.
  • Options

As a Liverpool fan, this is not the best week to talk about the qualities of Crystal Palace.
    Defence is overrated when you're 3 up.
    Oh, wait.....
  • Options
    shadsy said:

That's the first time I'd heard that. Chuka Umunna and Eddie Izzard are Palace's other most notable fans with political connections.

Eagles!

Is in today's Times

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4084791.ece

Also on Monday, I found out that Maxxi Jazz from Faithless is a Director of Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

EDL
    Orange Order
    BNP
    Ulster Unionists
    Tories
    Lib Dems
    UKIP
    Labour
    SNP
    Plaid
    Greens
    Wow. You find people you generally agree with more pleasant than those you disagree with. Have you considered that that might be because you do not argue as much with those you generally agree with?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Blimey! Thats one of Populus' best polls for UKIP. They must have finally decided that theres something in that party, after all.
    The Euro surge is reaching climax
  • Options

Oh, wait.....
    It was a reverse Istanbul, we were due that.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/42037/labour_ramps_up_clegg_attacks.html

Is Ed's Millionaire's shortbread also zero rated like these foods?
  • Options

Don't blame Palace. It was the Chelsea game where they lost it. Still Man City may lose at home to West Ham? The Hammers can only improve on their performances against City in the League Cup semi-finals?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nope. I could have posted that on every day during the last two years. In fact, if anything, she is getting even worse over time. One would have hardly thought it possible.

I have been monitoring the main Scottish Labour politicians in the news flood for several years. Apart from very rare Jim Murphy and Wee Dougie press releases (seldom Scotland-related) they are all pretty much invisible. But the biggest No Show is the boss herself: Lamont. Has a political "leader" ever been so invisible? There is a reason why her minders keep her out of the way.

My ernest hope is that she'll be flushed out of cover soon. Then the real fun begins.
    Ah! Thank you. Like metals, in which IIRC it's the electron-less holes that count just as much as the electrons. I must say she got off very lightly indeed in the media after she came out with her statement that Scots "are not genetically programmed to make political decisions" - if a London pol had said that of English/Northerners/Cornish etc. ...

And we haven't even mentioned the event which General Flashman (decd.) thinks is of no importance to him, so we have kept him happy over his kedgeree..
    The Economist is both a wonderful and a dreadful publication. But there is little doubt that its obituaries are one of the wonderful bits. Here is a snippet from their George MacDonald Fraser obit.
    Would Flashman have liked [Fraser], had they met? Mr Fraser was a Scot, of course, solidly and loudly so, and Flashman had no love for Scotland. He found it (on his visits to Balmoral to the girlish Queen Victoria, all popeyes and buck teeth but “pretty enough beneath the neck”) a place of gloom and drizzle and long-faced holiness. He preferred Indian heat and sun. But Mr Fraser was a devoted son of the borders, born in Carlisle and writing both fact and fiction about the ruffian-reivers and cattle-stealers of the region: men who, in their shameless venturing and whoring and disrespect for law, were quite a lot like old Flashy, except that they were brave.
    http://www.economist.com/node/10492913
    I think his border novel, The Candlemass Road, is his best. (But they're all 5-stars!)

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Oh, wait.....
    A Lubnatsi?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@paulwaugh: According to the taxman, Millionaire's shortbread is zero rated but choc-covered shortbread is VATable. http://t.co/XT195kWnzZ
  • Options
    "Mummy! Those UKIPers are so rude to me, tell them to go away". My god! That Kirkup feller had better get out of his nappies. Subito!

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    Good News for DavidL and all

Construction Output figures for March and Q1 2014 released this morning. The 0.3% growth included in the first estimate of Q1 2014 growth is revised to 0.6%. Not quite enough to cause GDP to be uprated but it is getting close.

March total output falling just behind February still looks odd given PMI indicators and known weather conditions. There may yet be further upward revisions.

Key figures as follows:

• The seasonally adjusted estimate of construction output in Q1 2014 rose by 0.6% (£180 million) when compared with Q4 2013. There were increases in both sub-sectors with new work increasing by 0.9% (£160 million) and repair & maintenance increasing by 0.2% (£20 million).

• When comparing Q1 2014 with Q1 2013 construction output increased by 5.4% or £1.5 billion. Of this £1.5 billion increase, £1.0 billion was attributable to new work and the remaining £0.5 billion to repair & maintenance.

•Estimated to be £9.4 billion in March 2014, output of construction was 1.0% lower than the February 2014 estimate of £9.5 billion.

• The Preliminary Estimate of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) published on 29 April 2014 contained a forecast for quarterly construction output of 0.3%. This estimate has been revised within this release based on updated survey responses and is now estimated to be 0.6%, an upward revision of 0.3 percentage points. This upward revision has no effect on the preliminary estimate of GDP growth to one decimal place.
  • Options

Don't blame Palace. It was the Chelsea game where they lost it. Still Man City may lose at home to West Ham? The Hammers can only improve on their performances against City in the League Cup semi-finals?
    Andy Carroll scores the winner on Sunday (from a Downing Cross)

A boy can dream can't he?

That said, rumour has it Allardyce is getting sacked on Monday, so I expect West Ham to get the Dockside Hooker treatment from Citeh.
  • Options
    As compared with other recent polls, the Populus poll is bad for the Conservatives. But Labour's vote share is now consistently coming in the mid-30s with a variety of pollsters. Both will be unhappy.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Oh, wait.....
    A Lubnatsi?
    Elponitnatsnoc works better.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

As compared with other recent polls, the Populus poll is bad for the Conservatives. But Labour's vote share is now consistently coming in the mid-30s with a variety of pollsters. Both will be unhappy.

A poll with a Lab lead of 4% is clearly an outlier these days.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Mr. eek, yes and no. Thanks for the link, I've done much of it already (partly off my own bat, partly from advice from a similar).

I'm loathe to download anything extra (already got ClamWin and Malwarebytes, in addition to Microsoft Forefront something or other (updated/upgraded version of MSSE)) unless it's absolutely essential.

Another weird thing is that there was no FBdownloader in the programmes to uninstall (incidentally, that was set as the homepage but the search was 'wisersearch' or somesuch nonsense, which I got rid of). I'm utterly confounded as to where it came from.

Going to try a full Malwarebytes scan, then do a system restore (unless you think it's essential, and safe, I download the thingummyjig from your link and use that first).

I appreciate your help [again].

The risk with not repairing the registry is that it may contains settings which result in the programming reinstalling itself. From memory, windows looks in 1 part of the registry to check which programs to run on startup....

As such I would download and run adwcleaner as unless you do so the program may just lie dormant before reinstalling itself the next time you reboot the computer.
  • Options
    I hope we get the Guardian ICM poll on Monday, but they may hold it back a week.
  • Options

That said, rumour has it Allardyce is getting sacked on Monday, so I expect West Ham to get the Dockside Hooker treatment from Citeh.
    As a Boro fan, I'm one of the few who can remember when Downing was actually quite good!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Most stressful job in the world today belongs to the court artist in the Rolf Harris trial.

Talk about pressure.
  • Options

As a Boro fan, I'm one of the few who can remember when Downing was actually quite good!
    He played very well in the last half of last season, was a surprise when the Northern Irish Shankly sold him
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    MikeK said:

"Mummy! Those UKIPers are so rude to me, tell them to go away". My god! That Kirkup feller had better get out of his nappies. Subito!

The irony is that you exhibit exactly the behaviour in that post that he's commenting on. Kirkup didn't even seem to be complaining about it in the post - he just said it was an interesting phenomenon.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. eek, if it did that (reinstalled itself) would the homepage be reset again? [That hasn't happened, and the tabs remain clear].

Although I feel I've run a million tests already, I'll follow your advice.

Might be the afternoon before I've done enough scans to have a crack at doing a system restore.
  • Options
    Better news for another_richard and all

The March trade deficit narrows from £1.7 bn in February to £1.3 bn in March. Drinks all round at the Normanby Hall Golf Club, although not yet champagne.

Key findings:

• UK Trade shows the extent of import and export activity and is a key contributor to the overall economic growth in the UK.

• Seasonally adjusted, the UK's deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £1.3 billion in March 2014, compared with a deficit of £1.7 billion in February 2014.

• There was a deficit of £8.5 billion on goods, partly offset by an estimated surplus of £7.2 billion on services.

• Exports of goods increased by 4.9% between February and March 2014 to £24.6 billion reflecting an increase in exports of finished manufactures, including jewellery and cars. Imports of goods increased by 2.8% over the same period to £33.1 billion, with an increase in the imports of aircraft a significant factor.

• Exports of goods decreased by 3.7% to £72.0 billion in Q1 2014. Imports of goods decreased by 2.8% to £98.7 billion in Q1 2014.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

dr_spyn said:

@paulwaugh: According to the taxman, Millionaire's shortbread is zero rated but choc-covered shortbread is VATable. http://t.co/XT195kWnzZ
    Tax cuts for Millionaires...
  • Options

Most stressful job in the world today belongs to the court artist in the Rolf Harris trial.

Talk about pressure.

I hope Mr Harris is found to be innocent. I don't want to think of him as bad egg.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216

EDL
    Orange Order
    BNP
    Ulster Unionists
    Tories
    Lib Dems
    UKIP
    Labour
    SNP
    Plaid
    Greens
    Poor old Orange Order, more unpleasant than the BNP.

I think a re-branding as the Pink Order is the way ahead.

http://tinyurl.com/mc5nzhy

• Options

For me that's a huge reason to like him. There's so many glory supporters in this country that just support one of the big clubs despite only the most tenuous connection. Any man that stays with a club through periods in the lower leagues is clearly a man of greater principle.
  • Options

Talk about pressure.

On this occasion, "can you see what it is yet?" will not be an appropriate question.
  • Options
    @MJCFife: This Labour VAT ad is more accurate than the official one http://t.co/YDXJ1Z6uQt
  • Options

Talk about pressure.

I hope Mr Harris is found to be innocent. I don't want to think of him as bad egg.

A few years ago we very nearly bought a limited edition Rolf Harris print of a lion. However we were regularly moving at the time, and were unsure if we would have enough wall space for the picture, which was superb. As it was a fair few hundred quid, we decided against.

I'm rather glad we didn't buy it.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    antifrank said:

Neat cartoon from Marf. It is strange how squeamish we are about thinking about how exactly what is on our plates has got there. Meat doesn't come into existence shrink-wrapped and if we're going to eat it, we should be able to acknowledge the existence of the animal that lived and died for our gullet.

It's been said many times no doubt that if we had to slaughter our own meat more of us would be vegetarians. Only a tiny fraction of society now farms so we tend to be ignorant of natural processes, men more than women.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

The irony is that you exhibit exactly the behaviour in that post that he's commenting on. Kirkup didn't even seem to be complaining about it in the post - he just said it was an interesting phenomenon.
    And he attributed it to their passion and commitments.

Those are not bad attributes, even if you disagree with their viewpoint
  • Options
    Someone told me the other day that only once in the 20th Century has the political party that spent the most money in a general election not won. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Toms said:

antifrank said:

Neat cartoon from Marf. It is strange how squeamish we are about thinking about how exactly what is on our plates has got there. Meat doesn't come into existence shrink-wrapped and if we're going to eat it, we should be able to acknowledge the existence of the animal that lived and died for our gullet.

It's been said many times no doubt that if we had to slaughter our own meat more of us would be vegetarians..
    Either vegetarian or as a nation very quickly learn not to be so pathetically squeamish.

Welcome back Marf – you have been missed. ; )
  • Options
    Final ONS release this morning still good news

The Index of Production for March 2014 notches Q1 2014 growth down for the Sector from 0.8% to 0.7% but without impact on the First Estimate of GDP growth.

The two main observations are the persistent strength of manufacturing and surprisingly robust annual growth for the Mining and Quarrying Sector (Oil and Gas), although the latest month's figures show a return to significant contraction.

Key findings:

• Users are reminded that all figures contained within this release are seasonally adjusted estimates.

• Production output increased by 0.7% between Q4 2013 and Q1 2014.

• The largest contribution to the quarterly growth in production came from manufacturing, which increased by 1.4%.

• Production output increased by 2.3% between March 2013 and March 2014. This reflects increases of 3.3% in manufacturing; 12.1% in water supply, sewerage & waste management; and 3.1% in mining & quarrying.

• The only decrease was in electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning output, which decreased by 15.4% between March 2013 and March 2014. This was attributed to the average temperature in March 2014 being 4.5 degrees warmer than March 2013.

• Total production decreased by 0.1% between February 2014 and March 2014. There were decreases in two of the main sectors, with mining & quarrying being the largest contributor, decreasing by 2.8% and water supply, sewerage & waste management by 2.1%.

• Manufacturing and electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning output both increased by 0.5% between February 2014 and March 2014.

• The preliminary estimate of GDP, published on 29 April 2014, contained a forecasted rise of 0.8% for production in Q1 2014. This release of data estimates that production rose by 0.7% between Q4 2013 and Q1 2014 and the impact on the previously published Q1 2014 GDP estimate is minimal.

• In this release the earliest period open for revision was January 2014.
  • Options
    Many thanks to TSE for the red hot Austria Eurovision tip.
    Had a punt on the top 10 market at 2.9. Now into 1.26 on Betfair.
  • Options

Talk about pressure.

A few years ago we very nearly bought a limited edition Rolf Harris print of a lion. However we were regularly moving at the time, and were unsure if we would have enough wall space for the picture, which was superb. As it was a fair few hundred quid, we decided against.

I wonder what RH picture owners have done. Are the pictures in the attic? On ebay? Or is it possible to separate the painter from the picture in your mind?

• Options

EDL
    Orange Order
    BNP
    Ulster Unionists
    Tories
    Lib Dems
    UKIP
    Labour
    SNP
    Plaid
    Greens
    MickPork and malcolm are famously pleasant.

Having said that, I actually enjoy malcolm's unpleasantness. There's a certain comic pithiness in it. I think it's also more tolerable because it is only unpleasant in response to posts criticising Scottish nationalism - he never engages in ongong bullying.
  • Options

Many thanks to TSE for the red hot Austria Eurovision tip.
    Had a punt on the top 10 market at 2.9. Now into 1.26 on Betfair.

My pleasure.

It is a good entry.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited May 2014
    Even as a perennial optimist for Labour, I obviously agree the Labour share and lead are down. The cross-currents are hard to work out, but my impression from canvassing is that UKIP are now taking a significant share of Labour's working-class vote - 7% of the Labour vote overall in today's YG, and I'd guess more like 10-12% in the C2DE segment and a negligible amount in the ABC1 segment. Meanwhile, the Tories have stemmed the flow - currently losing 17% to UKIP - and are picking up some 2010 LDs. The LD->Lab shift is much as before (in today's poll 30% of 2010 LDs plan to vote Lab, 29% staying with LDs) and there is virtually no Con<->Lab shift at all (3% each way).

What I think has been happening is that UKIP originally just took the hard right vote off the Tories, but they're now gaining working-class protest votes all round. In marginals like mine with a large middle-class vote the effect is less evident, but it's certainly there. I'm not convinced that it's permanent, but we shall see.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Yay, Marf is back!
  • Options
    The venison carefully stalked for hours, shot by a trained marksman, and hung for a month, cooked to perfection from a recipe by Norman Tebbit.
  • Options
    Apols if posted before
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick · 6m
    The flag with the MI5 crest which used to fly over MI5 HQ, has now been replaced by an EU flag. Read into that what you will.

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Tories doing better in polls could be the effect of people seeing their first wage packet since the massive increase in personal allowances
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Apols if posted before
    The flag with the MI5 crest which used to fly over MI5 HQ, has now been replaced by an EU flag. Read into that what you will.

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 3m
    Now suddenly, as I write, EU flag above MI5 is being replaced with flag with MI5 crest. They must read my tweets

hah!
  • Options
    Larry - Strangle Your Own Turkeys.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/p/pick-your-own.asp

Welcome back Marf.
  • Options

Talk about pressure.

I wonder what RH picture owners have done. Are the pictures in the attic? On ebay? Or is it possible to separate the painter from the picture in your mind?
    They're still on EBay for reasonable prices, and he's just on trial - there's no conviction.

But I would have found it odd to have had a large picture of his hanging on the wall at the moment. Instead, we've got some of my mother-in-law's excellent paintings (*)

(*) She's an (ahem) elderly lady, and she's doing a PhD in art, having come near the top of her class in her degree a couple of years ago. And she's studying in English, a language she knew relatively little of until she started the course. It's never too late to learn!
  • Options
    Toms said:

antifrank said:

It's been said many times no doubt that if we had to slaughter our own meat more of us would be vegetarians. Only a tiny fraction of society now farms so we tend to be ignorant of natural processes, men more than women.
    An if we had to brew our own beer , make our own wine we'd be tee total.

Thankfully division of Labour has meant we can all enjoy the good stuff.
  • Options
    Cameron being optimistic? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27339515

Stays on after a YES vote in Scotland? Perhaps he is confident that Salmond won't win.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Apols if posted before

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 3m
    Now suddenly, as I write, EU flag above MI5 is being replaced with flag with MI5 crest. They must read my tweets

hah!
    Dang. Should have hit refresh before posting.
    Crick shouldn't be surprised that MI5 read his tweets.
    They read everyone else's
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Phew,

Need Labour to slide for my bets from where they are but not slide TOO FAR or TOO FAST !

I'll definitely be voting conservative at the next GE now I've got that £100 on with Ladbrokes for most votes Conservatives. Think Derbyshire NE will be safe enough for Labour w/o my vote.
  • Options
    @davidschneider: Pizza Express adjust menu to appeal to anti-halal customer http://t.co/mfboSDbDcW
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2014
    TGOHF said:

Toms said:

antifrank said:

An if we had to brew our own beer , make our own wine we'd be tee total.

Thankfully division of Labour has meant we can all enjoy the good stuff.
    Sound argument to some extent (Adam Smith etc.) but needs balancing. As examples of constructive independence, I find that walking, cycling, cutting my own hair (when there are no offers from art students), and baking my own bread, are better and quicker than the passive ways.
    Or---not being squeamish allowed me to reset my shoulder immediately after dislocating it in an accidental lapse (Made a satisfying sound going back in! It mended perfectly after a time with a little physical therapy). But that's enough about me.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27339515

Camo says he won't resign in the event of a YES vote.

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Just had junk mail (i mean election communication) from Welsh Labour telling us about the cost of living crisis blah blah and what they will do when elected next year - then saying a blatant lie that the Tory party plan to take us out of Europe
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27339515

Camo says he won't resign in the event of a YES vote.

Too busy cracking open the champagne to resign.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I think 16% a new high for UKIP with Populus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2014
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Cameron being optimistic? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27339515

Stays on after a YES vote in Scotland? Perhaps he is confident that Salmond won't win.

Or the opposite? He's arguably preparing his alibi in advance: - "Nothing to do with me chum, I'll have been too busy sorting the economy."

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    For anyone who missed Michael Crick's report on Newark.For those who have taken Mike's advised of a Labour win,the Labour camp is portrayed as unprepared and for Ukip Helmer is just"Restore The Death Penalty", Helmer,take him or leave him-I prefer the latter as will many of the younger and female residents of the constituency.
    Tories nailed on.
    http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/ukip-campaign-trail-roger-helmer/4091
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Not the original recipe, but a plagiarized version.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/alcopops-10018/

Makes all the posturing on higher priced alcohol seem a little sad really?
  • Options
    Blind woman records abuse directed at her:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27323114
  • Options

For anyone who missed Michael Crick's report on Newark.For those who have taken Mike's advised of a Labour win,the Labour camp is portrayed as unprepared and for Ukip Helmer is just"Restore The Death Penalty", Helmer,take him or leave him-I prefer the latter as will many of the younger and female residents of the constituency.
    Tories nailed on.
    http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/ukip-campaign-trail-roger-helmer/4091

I thought both the Conservative and Labour candidates looked very young.

The big unknown is how will the EU Parliament result affect things? Can Mr Helmer surf a UKIP wave into parliament?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

What I think has been happening is that UKIP originally just took the hard right vote off the Tories, but they're now gaining working-class protest votes all round. In marginals like mine with a large middle-class vote the effect is less evident, but it's certainly there. I'm not convinced that it's permanent, but we shall see.

The interesting question is whether the likely swingback from UKIP will be symmetrical. Obviously we can't be sure of the answer to that, but it seems to me that the motivations of at least some of the Con->UKIP switchers (gay marriage, frustration at Cameron being too much a traditional one-nation Conservative, and above all frustration with our EU membership) are likely to be quite different from the motivations driving those working-class former Labour voters towards UKIP. In addition the demographics are quite different: the former group probably older and with a substantial proportion of retired owner-occupiers, the latter more likely to be of working age, and self-employed or employed in not particularly high-paying jobs.

Now, obviously that is a big generalisation, but, inasmuch as there is any truth in it, it seems to me that there is at least a likelihood, and perhaps a strong possibility, that the drift back from UKIP to Labour will exhibit different characteristics compared with the drift back to the Tories. That is one reason why I am cautious about predictions based on current polling: there is a quite hefty chunk of UKIP vote-share in the current opinion polls, easily enough for any differential behaviour to have a big impact on the final result.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Apols if posted before

Relax. They're Going Underground.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    That famous man of principle Alistair Campbell is a Burnley fan. Case not proven!
    Socrates said:

For me that's a huge reason to like him. There's so many glory supporters in this country that just support one of the big clubs despite only the most tenuous connection. Any man that stays with a club through periods in the lower leagues is clearly a man of greater principle.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Or the opposite? He's arguably preparing his alibi in advance: - "Nothing to do with me chum, I'll have been too busy sorting the economy."

Send Cameron into exile on Nandos.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/09/david-cameron-visits-nandos
  • Options
    What is wrong with Vanilla today. This is the 3rd time I've had to sign in. It's time it was removed or improved, but somthing must be done.
  • Options
    The LDs have been polling in single figures all week (YouGov, Populus, Survation). That doesn't bode well for their postal vote share.

• Options
    4th sign in and I'm off I can't stand it. Bye all.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    OT - When is the Newark Statement of Persons Nominated due to come out?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Charles said:

Apols if posted before

Relax. They're Going Underground.
    Was the flag even above MI5, or the old Nothern Ireland office in the same building?
  • Options

Young scumbags. I'm sure they're quivering from the talking to.
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Miliband Faces Astra Donation Standards Investigation http://t.co/hSwUdJfy9t
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Tories nailed on.

I thought both the Conservative and Labour candidates looked very young.

The big unknown is how will the EU Parliament result affect things? Can Mr Helmer surf a UKIP wave into parliament?

Charlie don't surf but I guess he just loves the smell of napalm in the morning.

http://www.joblo.com/videos/movie-clips/apocalypsenow-kilgore
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Young scumbags. I'm sure they're quivering from the talking to.
    Seems like it was handled properly to me. Kudos to her.
  • Options
    Guido posting that Miliband has been reported to Standards re donation from Astra Zeneca.

http://order-order.com/2014/05/09/miliband-faces-standards-investigation-over-undeclared-donation/

I do wonder if Cameron and Co have considered the impact of Pfizer on competition in the supply of cancer drugs to the NHS.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: Miliband Faces Astra Donation Standards Investigation http://t.co/hSwUdJfy9t

So Miliband was too busy wonking to talk to the head of Pfizer, but happy to take Shrieky's money from Astra?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So Miliband was too busy to talk to the head of Pfizer, but happy to take Shrieky's money from Astra?
    By Election in Doncaster, anyone?
This discussion has been closed.