Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Eddie Mair should be first choice to replace Paxo

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Eddie Mair should be first choice to replace Paxo

Latest PaddyPower http://t.co/45A6m2316P betting on Paxman's replacement on @BBCNewsnight pic.twitter.com/JeYAezKD8O

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    First & agree.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    Since no one else is about..

'Many MPs are convinced the union is in true peril, with some expressing dismay that the Conservative party has become such a dissuasive voice for the union in Scotland. "The Better Together campaign is just ramshackle. It would not matter if it was just crap, but it is nasty. All the threatening from Whitehall has been counterproductive," one said.

Inside the Labour wing of the no campaign, if the polls narrow, the disagreements will sharpen between those who want to focus on what is best for Britain and those such as Gordon Brown who say the campaign must concentrate on the options for Scotland.

A vote for secession would probably lead to a parliamentary inquest as long as the seven-year trial of Warren Hastings in the wake of the collapse of the East India Company. In the short term, as custodians of the English elite, Ed Miliband and Cameron would take the bullets. Cameron would be vilified as the prime minister who allowed the union to be lost. Miliband would be attacked for breaking Labour's connection to the Scottish working class.'

http://tinyurl.com/l9pfzqg
  • shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I also agree.

The best backed horses in this race with Ladbrokes have been;
    Mair (3/1)
    Kuenssberg (Evs)
    Robinson (20/1)
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I suspect Eddie Mair is too quiet and unshowy to get the job, despite being an excellent interviewer.

It would be funny if Paul Mason got the job. Some of the PB Tories™ would spontaneously combust.
  • hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    This video reminds me why Boris is unlikely to ever become Tory leader. He is too colourful for most people and probably has things in his past that will come back to haunt him. The Tories won't take the chance and will go for someone who has a reasonably clean past, not a well documented journalist who has posted lots of opinions.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,910
    I thought PB might want to know that Ed Milliband has inspired me...

To buy a box of Frosites for the first time in about 12 years!
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    I hope Guido applies for the job.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I just found out that Boko Haram justify their kidnappings of these poor girls by this:

Rayhāna bint Zayd (Arabic: ريحانة بنت زيد‎) was a Jewish woman from the Banu Qurayza tribe.

Rayhana was originally a member of the Banu Nadir tribe who married a man from the Banu Qurayza. After the Banu Qurayza were defeated by the armies of Muhammad in the Siege of the Banu Qurayza neighborhood, Rayhana was among those enslaved, while the men were executed for treason.

According to Ibn Ishaq, Muhammad took her as a maiden slave and offered her the status of becoming his wife if she accepted Islam, but she refused. According to his account, even though Rayhana is said to have later converted to Islam, she died as a slave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayhana

Food for thought.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Between myself and Cameron, I am the one with much more intellectual self-confidence: Ed Miliband on why he's ready to be PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/between-myself-and-cameron-i-am-the-one-with-much-more-intellectual-selfconfidence-ed-miliband-on-why-hes-ready-to-be-pm-9325924.html
  • antifrank said:

I suspect Eddie Mair is too quiet and unshowy to get the job, despite being an excellent interviewer.

It would be funny if Paul Mason got the job. Some of the PB Tories™ would spontaneously combust.

Mair would be an excellent choice. Mason is a tiresome Marxist. He seems content in pursuing the millennium at C4.
  • Socrates said:

I just found out that Boko Haram justify their kidnappings of these poor girls by this... Food for thought.

The New Testament is replete with references to slavery. In 1 Timothy 6:1-2, for example, it is said:
    Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.
    The King James Bible, of course, renders slave as servant.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,749
    edited May 2014
    Not a fan of Eddie Mair myself . He comes across too much as though he is a barrister in court cross examining a witness. Too forensic and gets stuck on a point of detail. Whilst politicians should have tough interviews prefer the more worldly and practical approach of Paxman.

He is no Paxman, although they both can be a little too rude when no call for it .

If Kirsty Wark wants the job then it should be hers imo. She comes across always as a tough, fair, intelligent (both academically and emotionally) interviewer
    edited May 2014

Between myself and Cameron, I am the one with much more intellectual self-confidence: Ed Miliband on why he's ready to be PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/between-myself-and-cameron-i-am-the-one-with-much-more-intellectual-selfconfidence-ed-miliband-on-why-hes-ready-to-be-pm-9325924.html

All very well being an "intellectual" but that's no good if all your ideas are totally mad, LOL!
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited May 2014
    On Ed 'Profound self belief' Miliband, there's an astute comment on the Standard article, by someone under the moniker Theodore Thomsons-Gazelle:

"and I think to myself, I’m the one with the intellectual self-confidence because I actually know what I believe and I don’t need [election strategist] Lynton Crosby to tell me.”

and then

"The splashiest news about the Labour election campaign so far has been the hiring of President Obama’s election strategist David Axelrod. . . . . . . . He is there primarily for ideas, "

now if that's not rank hypocrisy . . . . .

Socrates said:

I also see the pro-EU report the BBC felt they needed to wedge into the article on the Civitas report was from a full seven months ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24773179

We can also note that in that article, the pro-EU side gets eight sentences of quotes, plus a video, while the anti-EU side gets no coverage at all.

So in a story about a eurosceptic report, the pro-EU side gets more space, and in a story about a pro-EU report, the pro-EU side gets ALL of the space. It all makes sense at the Beeb. I'm being forced to pay taxes to pump out propaganda against my views.

You only have to pay for the BBC if you watch, or record, live broadcasts on TV. That is a choice. You are not forced to do so. I do not pay the licence fee, because I do not watch live broadcasts of TV.
    That's like saying there's no compulsion in stamp duty: you don't have to buy a house. It's a forced tax for a certain type of activity. It would be one thing if it was just for the BBC, but someone that only watches ITV has to pay for it. Crazy.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Away, Wark had a rather bonkers comment a month or two ago, claiming it was likelier that a woman would get a job hosting a car programme in Saudi Arabia than on Top Gear.
  • BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    I see there has been a Labour surge* with Populus.

I'm surprised at how few posts there are on this - when we had a dead heat the other day you couldn't move for them!!!

On Ed 'Profound self belief' Miliband, there's an astute comment on the Standard article, by someone under the moniker Theodore Thomsons-Gazelle:

"and I think to myself, I’m the one with the intellectual self-confidence because I actually know what I believe and I don’t need [election strategist] Lynton Crosby to tell me.”

and then

"The splashiest news about the Labour election campaign so far has been the hiring of President Obama’s election strategist David Axelrod. . . . . . . . He is there primarily for ideas, "

and again he gets away with it.

BobaFett said:

I'm surprised at how few posts there are on this - when we had a dead heat the other day you couldn't move for them!!!

It was a good poll for Labour. At 36%, they register at the top end of their recent range with Populus.
    edited May 2014

and then

Does "Intellectual Ed" REALLY believe that bringing back price controls will be good for the rental sector? I mean, really, truely believe that?

Or is he just another politician saying what he thinks "Generation Rent" wants to hear so that he can get elected?
    BobaFett said:

I've missed it. Can you post numbers?
    edited May 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Does "Intellectual Ed" REALLY believe that bringing back price controls will be good for the rental sector? I mean, really, truely believe that?

Or is he just another politician saying what he thinks "Generation Rent" wants to hear so that he can get elected?

That's a good question. My view is that he really does believe the nonsense. The reason I think that is that he has been very consistent on it (it's just about the only thing he's been consistent about), going right back to his 'predistribution' and 'producers vs predators' wonk-speak. When you look at what he has actually said and attempt to translate it into English, it has all along been about old-style government interference in markets - what else could it mean?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293
    BobaFett said:

Boba, I replied to your railway subsidy post on the previous thread. I won't copy it here to save people's sanity.

And now for some more work (grumbles into his compiler)
    *MOE (take note Crossover wallahs!)
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160
    GIN1138 said:

and then

It's a tad desperate.

lefties always like to parade intellect over common sense and experience. Problem for Ed is that if he pulls out his O level certifcates Dave will have better ones as will Ed Balls.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited May 2014
    FPT

Carnyx said:

"Oh, that's interesting - WW2? Anything in particular?

Unless it counts as aftertiming, I was going to mention the Norman church too - but a monastery? I didn't know that. My main reason was because I thought James Lind of lemon juice and scurvy was buried there, but on reflection I held fire on the matter till I had checked which generation he was. Indeed it is the vitamin-C-but-he-didn't-know-it chappie -

http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/illustrating/articles/the-strange-disappearances-of-james-lind

Must go back there. I have promised to take my partner (for whom Lind is a hero) to see it and Fishbourne Roman Palace, as well as the usual new-fangled stuff like Priddy's Hard armament depot (Gosport) and Fort Nelson (one of the Palmerstn forts, on the hill above Portchester).

[Mr Jessop takes up the thread]

Done all of those, and they're all good. Priddy's Hard (it was called Explosion! when I visited) has a large number of weapons. Even the relatively pacifist Mrs J enjoyed Fort Nelson, and especially the beautifully engraved Chinese and Japanese cannon.

But I can also recommend Buckler's Hard, a short distance away in the New Forest. A small village that has hardly changed from when they built wooden warships there, and in a beautiful setting. There's a good footpath there from Beaulieu, although the motor museum deserves a day on its own."

For WW2 stuff in Porchester you need do no more than look in the Graveyard of St. Mary's church. Porchester was also used for other stuff, special forces training and the like. There are also some WWI graves that are of interest, well they are interest to me as I found one of Mrs. Llama relatives buried there, which came a as bit of a shock.

If you are going down that way and are interested in history then I would say the Roman Palace at Fishbourne is a must. I went back there last year for the first time since the early eighties and was amazed at what they had done - leave half a day just for the palace and associated museum.

Priddy's hard and Fort Nelson are well worth the visit, as recommended by Mr. Jessop. Get a water taxi pass and enjoy a putter round the harbour at the same time. What you really ought to visit though the the Submarine Museum at Gosport. I know am going to be biased, but it really is very, very good. Then of course there is the RN Dockyard itself with Victory, Warrior, the RN museum (dumbed down these days) and lots of other stuff.

All told, I think one could profitably spend three of four days just in Portsmouth, Gosport and the immediate surrounds just doing RN stuff. That's without Fishbourne and places like Bucklers Hard (read up on it before you go, then yo'll understand it and enjoy it more).

Oh, if you do get into Portsmouth centre, go the pub "The Ship Anson" just down from the dock yard gates. Get a drink and raise it in a silent toast, "To those who never came back", let me know how you get on.

GIN1138 said:

That's a good question. My view is that he really does believe the nonsense. The reason I think that is that he has been very consistent on it (it's just about the only thing he's been consistent about), going right back to his 'predistribution' and 'producers vs predators' wonk-speak. When you look at what he has actually said and attempt to translate it into English, it has all along been about old-style government interference in markets - what else could it mean?
    The initial reports on rent control didn't provide much detail so I had a similar conclusion to you. As far as I understand the policy right now, it's that rent controls will only be for three year periods. So you won't be able to put up rent prices much for those three years, and then you'll have a big jump at the end. So it sounds like it won't be actively destructive, it just won't achieve much.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Something for Morris Dancer:

Gove is appointing a bunch of toadies group of up-standing citizens as "Regional Schools Commissioners", and he has thus defined eight regions to divide England into.

Bizarrely, he has managed to divide both London and Yorkshire between three different regions each, with just two regions - the South-West and the West Midlands - not containing either a piece of Yorkshire or a piece of London.

It's hard to see what the logic is behind these regions, unless it's all just divide and rule.
    I'm pleased that my piece managed to spark some discussion, even if it was about Saxon Shore sites rather than my revelation that UKIP are littoral democrats.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    So it sounds like it won't be actively destructive, it just won't achieve much.

Not long before kippers like yourself find out by letting ed in through the back door.

Reckon ed would resist eurocreep and measures such as a financial transaction tax for the 5 years you let him rule while you tried desperately to supplant the tories??

Gove is appointing a bunch of toadies group of up-standing citizens as "Regional Schools Commissioners", and he has thus defined eight regions to divide England into.

Bizarrely, he has managed to divide both London and Yorkshire between three different regions each, with just two regions - the South-West and the West Midlands - not containing either a piece of Yorkshire or a piece of London.

It's hard to see what the logic is behind these regions, unless it's all just divide and rule.

I'm guessing it's to have similar numbers of schools in each region?
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

The initial reports on rent control didn't provide much detail so I had a similar conclusion to you. As far as I understand the policy right now, it's that rent controls will only be for three year periods. So you won't be able to put up rent prices much for those three years, and then you'll have a big jump at the end. So it sounds like it won't be actively destructive, it just won't achieve much.

The more dangerous bit of it is the apparent insistence on three-year contracts, though.

You're right that it's not full-blown rent control - but surely this is a classic example of the thin end of the wedge. As we saw with his energy-price stuff, you can do a lot of damage simply by shaking confidence - in building houses for rent, as in building power stations, why invest in the UK if you think politicians will be tempted to try to buy votes with your (or your clients') money?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,749

Probably used the same method as Reggie Perin when deciding the marketing regions for ice cream- get the bin and draw around it
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Paxman is as hard an act to follow as Alex Ferguson, I would have thought. Something of a poisoned chalice, perhaps?

Worth noting that the head honcho at Newsnight is a former Guardian journalist. I wouldn't mind seeing another former Guardian journalist - Glenn Greenwald - get the job. He was refreshingly direct talking when he was interviewed on Newsnight.
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "...the political class is really only part of a bigger metropolitan class, which is as coherent and interconnected as any more traditionally understood establishment, and which includes the broadcast media, publishing, the academic world and so on. There is a remarkable convergence of views within these groups, who tend to hold the same prejudices and uphold the same orthodoxies, and they have essentially made London their own.

The truth is that, far from being individualistic and free-thinking, London's metropolitan elites are profoundly sheep-like, while retaining a view of the people "outside" as being unable to understand issues in the way they can"

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/whittles-london-may-14-metropolitan-sheep-peter-whittle-westminster
    GIN1138 said:

BobaFett said:

Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 33s

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1); Cons 33 (-1); LD 8 (-1); UKIP 14 (=); Oth 9 (+1) Tables http://popu.lu/s_140506

GIN1138 said:

I'm hoping he is just lying to get elected and once in power he will govern sensibly, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

• LennonLennon Posts: 1,768

Bizarre regioning - it is ludicrous to split London - Lambeth has far more in common with Haringey (for example) than it does with West Sussex (and similarly elsewhere)
  • Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014

He obviously doesn't want to be seen to be recreating the Inner London Education Authority... Those regions are mad, but are slightly less absurd than the European regions, which put Kent and Oxfordshire into the same region but excludes London.
    *MOE (take note Crossover wallahs!)

Hands up to you Mr Bobafett, initial attempts to brand Ed a dangerous communist lunatic seem to be having little impact so far. He is still doing OK.

What's more; labour are not leaking to UKIP, it seems.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    You can tell when there is a movement to Labour in the polls, the site gets littered with posts from PB lefties crowing about how few posts there are from PB Tories.
    The posts simply ooze with intellectual self-confidence
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

"...the political class is really only part of a bigger metropolitan class, which is as coherent and interconnected as any more traditionally understood establishment, and which includes the broadcast media, publishing, the academic world and so on. There is a remarkable convergence of views within these groups, who tend to hold the same prejudices and uphold the same orthodoxies, and they have essentially made London their own.

The truth is that, far from being individualistic and free-thinking, London's metropolitan elites are profoundly sheep-like, while retaining a view of the people "outside" as being unable to understand issues in the way they can"

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/whittles-london-may-14-metropolitan-sheep-peter-whittle-westminster

The type of people who think Russell Brand is "anti-establishment"
  • TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

You can tell when there is a movement to Labour in the polls, the site gets littered with posts from PB lefties crowing about how few posts there are from PB Tories.
    The posts simply ooze with intellectual self-confidence

I'm reminded of this gem.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    edited May 2014
    Lennon said:

Bizarre regioning - it is ludicrous to split London - Lambeth has far more in common with Haringey (for example) than it does with West Sussex (and similarly elsewhere)
    And West Sussex has bugger all in common with Lambeth. Has Gove learned nothing form Comprehensive schools? The top doesn't drag the bottom up, rather the bottom drags the top down. What is he smoking these days?
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Socrates

' As far as I understand the policy right now, it's that rent controls will only be for three year periods. So you won't be able to put up rent prices much for those three years, and then you'll have a big jump at the end. So it sounds like it won't be actively destructive, it just won't achieve much.'

Apparently at the beginning of a tenancy you can ask for whatever rent you want,thereafter, increases will be pegged to inflation, so at the end of the 3 year period whopping increases.(Just like the 70's prices and incomes policies).

As buy-to-let mortgages are not tied to the inflation rate,many will probably be forced to sell up and exit the rental market, leading to a decline in property available in the rental sector.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Me, dividing up Yorkshire is an act of heresy.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10809340/Why-the-middle-is-still-feeling-the-squeeze.html

The above is thought-provoking on why the tories aren;t doing better with a booming economy
    john_zims said:

@Socrates

' As far as I understand the policy right now, it's that rent controls will only be for three year periods. So you won't be able to put up rent prices much for those three years, and then you'll have a big jump at the end. So it sounds like it won't be actively destructive, it just won't achieve much.'

Apparently at the beginning of a tenancy you can ask for whatever rent you want,thereafter, increases will be pegged to inflation, so at the end of the 3 year period whopping increases.(Just like the 70's prices and incomes policies).

As buy-to-let mortgages are not tied to the inflation rate,many will probably be forced to sell up and exit the rental market, leading to a decline in property available in the rental sector.

But presumably you'll just ask for more than you would have otherwise done up front, anticipating rental inflation. And anyway, three years isn't long enough to allow for major difference from the market to pick up. I don't think it'll cause much exodus, other than at the fringes. The main issue is that it will shaft people who suddenly have to sell up for some life crisis or another.

Socrates said:

The more dangerous bit of it is the apparent insistence on three-year contracts, though.

You're right that it's not full-blown rent control - but surely this is a classic example of the thin end of the wedge. As we saw with his energy-price stuff, you can do a lot of damage simply by shaking confidence - in building houses for rent, as in building power stations, why invest in the UK if you think politicians will be tempted to try to buy votes with your (or your clients') money?
    I'm not convinced confidence will be shaken that much. The thin end of the wedge is a much bigger problem. This is something that is genuinely a slippery slope, in that it creates a condition that makes the next step much more likely. Some people will likely face 10-15% increases at the end of the three year period, and there will be outcries for the government to stop it happening.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

FPT re Saxon Shore ... edited for space ...
    For WW2 stuff in Porchester you need do no more than look in the Graveyard of St. Mary's church. Porchester was also used for other stuff, special forces training and the like. There are also some WWI graves that are of interest, well they are interest to me as I found one of Mrs. Llama relatives buried there, which came a as bit of a shock.

If you are going down that way and are interested in history then I would say the Roman Palace at Fishbourne is a must. I went back there last year for the first time since the early eighties and was amazed at what they had done - leave half a day just for the palace and associated museum.

Priddy's hard and Fort Nelson are well worth the visit, as recommended by Mr. Jessop. Get a water taxi pass and enjoy a putter round the harbour at the same time. What you really ought to visit though the the Submarine Museum at Gosport. I know am going to be biased, but it really is very, very good. Then of course there is the RN Dockyard itself with Victory, Warrior, the RN museum (dumbed down these days) and lots of other stuff.

All told, I think one could profitably spend three of four days just in Portsmouth, Gosport and the immediate surrounds just doing RN stuff. That's without Fishbourne and places like Bucklers Hard (read up on it before you go, then yo'll understand it and enjoy it more).

Oh, if you do get into Portsmouth centre, go the pub "The Ship Anson" just down from the dock yard gates. Get a drink and raise it in a silent toast, "To those who never came back", let me know how you get on.

Many thanks. Very useful ideas there, esp. water taxi and Submarine Museum.

Homework is indeed vital as one never knows if a museum bookshop is going to have any grown-up stuff these days. English Heritage do great books on docks, naval bases, explosives, ammo depots, etc., but don't advertise them well even in the EH magazine. Much appreciated presents for Xmas or birthdays from my partner but they take a little finding. There is a nice little one on the Brunel blockmaking production line machinery, for instance.

A schoolfriend's father was on the Glorious - sent ashore (I seem to recall) to deal with admin as she sailed for her meeting with the Kriegsmarine. I remember him telling me how he lost many friends that day.

As for the Saxon Shore, another holiday idea is Pevensey and the Cinque Ports. Rye, perhaps, for a base? I've only ever seen Dover with its lighthouse, and Burgh Castle in a swede field on the Broads. But to return to Mr Antifrank's original theme, Dover, and of course Portchester also, seem slightly ironic in a UKIP context simply because they were built by Romans and Normans ...

• NextNext Posts: 826
    taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10809340/Why-the-middle-is-still-feeling-the-squeeze.html

The above is thought-provoking on why the tories aren;t doing better with a booming economy

"After all, 30 years ago, when higher-rate tax was levied at between 40 and 60 per cent depending on income, it was paid by 930,000 – fewer than 4 per cent of taxpayers. Today more than four million workers pay the 40 per cent rate of tax – an estimated one million more since the Coalition came to power. "

Unfortunately all parties seem to have the same answer: tax them some more!
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Socrates said:

I have no problem with "three-year contracts" per se (I put that in scare quotes only because I don't know if it's going to be a single fixed term tenancy or an automatic right of renewal on a periodic tenancy) - plenty of contracts of this type have provisions for rent rises across the period. It's the combination of the two that's dangerous, as Socrates says, the "Big jump at the end" effect.
    Lennon said:

Given the limited role of the office, isn't there an advantage to having very different places under your purview? Seeing a broad range of schools might allow you to have more understanding of why some places are failing and others are not.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    john_zims said:

@Socrates

And a corresponding increase in the supply for purchase. That lot should, all else being equal see upward pressure on rents, and lower sales values slightly. Not sure if that is Miliband's intention - but it is the obvious consequence if "As buy-to-let mortgages are not tied to the inflation rate,many will probably be forced to sell up and exit the rental market, leading to a decline in property available in the rental sector." as you say...
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160

Hasn't Yorkshire always been divided up ? Otherwise what are the Ridings for except to stop you getting too big for your boots.

I suppose they could be to give Yorkies the impression they've been abroad if they've travelled from Sheffield to Scarborough.

" tickets and passports please we're approaching the North Yorkshire border "
  • Why Eddie Mair should be first choice to replace Paxo

Good spot Mike, but does he have the all important left-leaning credentials?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    antifrank said:

I'm pleased that my piece managed to spark some discussion, even if it was about Saxon Shore sites rather than my revelation that UKIP are littoral democrats.

Very interesting articles. Thanks

• TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Why Eddie Mair should be first choice to replace Paxo

Mair's a Scot. That should rule him out.
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Socrates

'But presumably you'll just ask for more than you would have otherwise done up front, anticipating rental inflation.'

Yes, higher rents to start with and larger increases at the end of the 3 year term.

Disagree with you about exodus.After the crash of private pensions many people went into buy-to-let as an alternative,often with rental income barely covering mortgage costs but looking at longer term capital appreciation and in the knowledge that rents could be increased to cover mortgage increases.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845
    Yorkshire was divided up in 1974, when it lost bits to Durham, Cleveland and Greater Manchester. Plus the ill-advised "Humberside" - neither owt not summat.
    edited May 2014

Politically speaking North Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire are solid blue with the People's Republic staunchly Red (Except Clegg's bit) with West Yorkshire being a belle-weather for the country !
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    8 more girls abducted in Nigeria.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

First & agree.

Umpteenth and seconded (or thirded) - he did a masterful job in the fall out from the McAlpine debacle

Pulpstar said:

with West Yorkshire being a belle-weather for the country !

Point of pedantry: a bellwether is neither beautiful, female, nor meteorological:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellwether

In what respect? Does he not speak clearly? Does he need subtitles or something?

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    Folkestone & Hythe, Ladbrokes:

1/4 Cons
    3/1 UKIP
    20/1 LD

GIN1138 said:

and then

It's a tad desperate.

lefties always like to parade intellect over common sense and experience. Problem for Ed is that if he pulls out his O level certifcates Dave will have better ones as will Ed Balls.
    As the French would say, it may work in practice, but does it work in theory?

Surely the true sign of intellectual self-confidence is not claiming to have more of it than someone else!

What Ed is describing is 'arrogance'.
    FPT:

SNP ministers have finally admitted carrying out research into their flagship childcare policy - but say it would be against “the public interest” to publish it.

http://scottishpol.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/secrecy-is-good-for-you.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249
    Andrew Neil would be my choice but we could do worse than Eddie Mair. The question has to be after recent months is does Newsnight actually have a future? I couldn't imagine Neil giving up the Daily Politics etc without some serious assurances about that.

I think it is time for a relaunch myself and the retirement of Paxo is an obvious opportunity.
    Carnyx said:

In what respect? Does he not speak clearly? Does he need subtitles or something?

The true charge is he is a Dundonian.....

Wonder if he went to Dundee High (Andrew Marr, Glasgow, old boy)?

John O'Nolan @JohnONolan · 2m
    It’s amazing how people’s behaviour towards UKIP is the very same behaviour which they claim to oppose: ignorance, intolerance & aggression.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    edited May 2014

Hasn't Yorkshire always been divided up ? Otherwise what are the Ridings for except to stop you getting too big for your boots.

I suppose they could be to give Yorkies the impression they've been abroad if they've travelled from Sheffield to Scarborough.

" tickets and passports please we're approaching the North Yorkshire border "
    Surely "t' North Yorkshire border". Although I suppose it might depend which way!!

My wife's family are Lancastrian; I"m given to understand "quarantined" would be more appropriate than "independent" for Yorkshire!
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    BobaFett said:

That's funny -I recall lots of posts by you saying there were lots of posts by Tories, which actually weren't there. You need to relax - polls up to the Euros are distorted by the UKIP 'surge'. Let's see what happens afterwards.

Carnyx said:

Pretty sure he didn't. I think his dad was a lorry driver or something. I remember him in his early days on Radio Tay. He has acquired a good deal more gravitas since then but he was always quick.

DavidL said:

Andrew Neil would be my choice but we could do worse than Eddie Mair. The question has to be after recent months is does Newsnight actually have a future? I couldn't imagine Neil giving up the Daily Politics etc without some serious assurances about that.

I think it is time for a relaunch myself and the retirement of Paxo is an obvious opportunity.

Why is Andrew Neil such a big price? He is the best they've got
    Carnyx said:

Lol - Scottish sense of humour deficit or what?
    isam said:

DavidL said:

Why is Andrew Neil such a big price? He is the best they've got
    Dunno. Maybe a bit old for that sort of grind? I agree he is the best and the Neil interview will take over from the Paxo interview as the one that has every leader sweating their homework.

Pulpstar said:

Politically speaking North Yorkshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire are solid blue with the People's Republic staunchly Red (Except Clegg's bit) with West Yorkshire being a belle-weather for the country !
    I think that Mr Prescott may disagree with you about the East Riding being solid Blue! (Unless you are trying to claim that the fine Yorkshire city of Hull isn't actually in Yorkshire?)
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

I think that Mr Prescott may disagree with you about the East Riding being solid Blue! (Unless you are trying to claim that the fine Yorkshire city of Hull isn't actually in Yorkshire?)
    Well there is always the odd seat that 'isn't'. But 4 out of 5 seats are currently Conservative in the region.

Just what the beeb needs - another journo who can act as an attack dog on Tories!
    Alan - you have made the cardinal error of mentioning Yorkshire.

Now we will be subject to endless self-important posts about "God's Own County" etc etc
    Carnyx said:

[Snip]

Homework is indeed vital as one never knows if a museum bookshop is going to have any grown-up stuff these days. English Heritage do great books on docks, naval bases, explosives, ammo depots, etc., but don't advertise them well even in the EH magazine. Much appreciated presents for Xmas or birthdays from my partner but they take a little finding. There is a nice little one on the Brunel blockmaking production line machinery, for instance.

A schoolfriend's father was on the Glorious - sent ashore (I seem to recall) to deal with admin as she sailed for her meeting with the Kriegsmarine. I remember him telling me how he lost many friends that day.

As for the Saxon Shore, another holiday idea is Pevensey and the Cinque Ports. Rye, perhaps, for a base? I've only ever seen Dover with its lighthouse, and Burgh Castle in a swede field on the Broads. But to return to Mr Antifrank's original theme, Dover, and of course Portchester also, seem slightly ironic in a UKIP context simply because they were built by Romans and Normans ...

Rye, for a base? Definitely. I love Rye and again ages of history overlap each other. Winchelsea is similar if considerably smaller. In fact all the old ports are worth a visit, save Hastings which, these days, is a dump. Then there are the inland sites Battle is worth a day - the actual battle's site will take a morning, then there is lunch and the Abbey and town to do in the afternoon. The countryside there abouts is glorious too. A truly spiffing part of the world.

You could, of course if you are feeling brave, go over the border into Kent. Beware though! The people speak funny and smell. But Dover Castle is well worth a day on its own and some of the inland scenery and towns are glorious. Try Tenterden, Hawkhurst and that place just down from Beneden School the name of which I can't remember but has two super pubs a church that is stunning and a fantastic fish and chip van. All that said, remember we are talking about Kent and they are funny over there.
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Pretty sure he didn't. I think his dad was a lorry driver or something. I remember him in his early days on Radio Tay. He has acquired a good deal more gravitas since then but he was always quick.

Reading his bio on Wiki it appears unlikely - and didn't go to Uni either - a career journalist - excellent!
    @Felix

LOL. Check out 35-35 Monday. Hilarious.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/04/majority-support-rent-controls/

"56% say the government should introduce rent controls – and the majority say governments should be more willing to intervene in markets generally"

Clever really. Old Labour trying to improve life for the average person ended up making them more conservative whereas New Labour allying with big business to destroy any kind of financial security at all let alone prosperity will successfully revive commiedom.
    George Eaton:

Labour's bombardment of the Lib Dems shows it is going all out for a majority
    Rather than preparing for another hung parliament, Labour is focused on "crushing" Clegg's party.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/labours-bombardment-lib-dems-shows-it-going-all-out-majority
    BobaFett said:

@Felix

LOL. Check out 35-35 Monday. Hilarious.

I did - you're obsessed because you know the Labour lead is as flaky as the Miliband intellect!
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Kirsty Wark would make a superb replacement for Paxo. ; )
    Uncle Vince has rather derailed Chuka's attack on the government and Pfizer by promising to learn the lessons of the previous government's botched Cadbury/Kraft take over mess.......

George Eaton:

Labour's bombardment of the Lib Dems shows it is going all out for a majority
    Rather than preparing for another hung parliament, Labour is focused on "crushing" Clegg's party.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/05/labours-bombardment-lib-dems-shows-it-going-all-out-majority

Indeed - and if they succeed it might just be the last Labour government for a generation - but what a price for the UK to pay.
    Pulpstar said:

Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Well there is always the odd seat that 'isn't'. But 4 out of 5 seats are currently Conservative in the region.
    Maybe I am missing something but I make it 3 safe seats each - Hull East, Hull North, Hull West and Hessle all Labour. Beverley and Holderness, Howden and Haltemprice and East Yorkshire all Conservative.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx, you would be better asking a turnip the question, you would get a more sensible reply.
    I am beginning to seriously wonder if the EU actually wants the UK to remain as members. They are certainly testing the relationship to destruction: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10810978/UK-anger-over-secret-EU-financial-transaction-tax-plan.html

If they want a tory party that is even largely committed to campaigning for "in" ticking off Osborne in this way is a really bad move. The conspiracy theorist would of course assume that this is one of the "concessions" Dave is going to achieve in due course but you do have to wonder.

Carnyx said:

[Snip]

Rye, for a base? Definitely. I love Rye and again ages of history overlap each other. Winchelsea is similar if considerably smaller. In fact all the old ports are worth a visit, save Hastings which, these days, is a dump. Then there are the inland sites Battle is worth a day - the actual battle's site will take a morning, then there is lunch and the Abbey and town to do in the afternoon. The countryside there abouts is glorious too. A truly spiffing part of the world.

You could, of course if you are feeling brave, go over the border into Kent. Beware though! The people speak funny and smell. But Dover Castle is well worth a day on its own and some of the inland scenery and towns are glorious. Try Tenterden, Hawkhurst and that place just down from Beneden School the name of which I can't remember but has two super pubs a church that is stunning and a fantastic fish and chip van. All that said, remember we are talking about Kent and they are funny over there.
    Many thanks. That could be very useful indeed.

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038
    Personally I would most like Boulton to replace Paxo - mainly because I so enjoyed his rumble with Alistair Campbell on election day.

GIN1138 said:

BobaFett said:

Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 33s

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (+1); Cons 33 (-1); LD 8 (-1); UKIP 14 (=); Oth 9 (+1) Tables http://popu.lu/s_140506
    Thanks. :) MOE.
    edited May 2014
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe I am missing something but I make it 3 safe seats each - Hull East, Hull North, Hull West and Hessle all Labour. Beverley and Holderness, Howden and Haltemprice and East Yorkshire all Conservative.
    The East Riding of Yorkshire is divided into 5 constituencies, each of which has its own Member of Parliament (MP).

Constituency Member of Parliament (MP)
    Beverley and Holderness Mr Graham Stuart
    Brigg and Goole Mr Andrew Percy
    East Yorkshire The Rt. Hon. Greg Knight, FCA
    Haltemprice and Howden The Rt. Hon. David Davis
    Hull West and Hessle
    The Rt. Hon. Alan Johnson

http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/

''but you do have to wonder.''

Plus we have the limp wristed weakness of the words that Osborne uses that are so infuriating, and such a boon to UKIP . Words like ''entitled'' and ''challenge''

The time for words like this with Europe are long gone, surely.
    Summat's up in Newark:

http://www.newarkadvertiser.co.uk/articles/news/Roger-Helmer-selected-as-UKIP-choice

The article has been removed, but the URL lingers on.....
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx, you would be better asking a turnip the question, you would get a more sensible reply.
    Oh-oh Malcolm-g in the house watch out for the blue language:))) and I don't mean Tory blue!
This discussion has been closed.