Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s Newark gamble: UKIP won’t score a near-miss

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited May 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage’s Newark gamble: UKIP won’t score a near-miss

To be damned if they do and damned if they don’t is the lot of politicians.  Whatever decisions they take (or don’t take), one side or another will criticise them.  To that end, Nigel Farage’s choice to opt out of the Newark by-election will be castigated by some as defeatist at a time when his party is surging in the polls.  Had he taken the alternative option, he’d instead be called an egoist and would …

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    First!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    "So at last, we have an interesting by-election this parliament;

Eastleigh and Corby were pretty interesting though I guess not for the Tories.
  • Options
    Wonder why the Lib Dems have yet to choose a candidate (it appears) when applications closed over four months ago:

http://charnwood-libdems.org.uk/en/article/2013/748494/advertisement-for-parliamentary-candidate-for-newark
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited May 2014
    The smart move for UKIP would be to stand aside in favour of a high-profile anti-corruption Independent. Step forward, Paxo!!!

(Note to self: did I really write "smart" and "UKIP" in the same sentence? And I thought I was taking those pills...)
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

"So at last, we have an interesting by-election this parliament;

Eastleigh and Corby were pretty interesting though I guess not for the Tories.

Inverclyde, as the only Scottish by-election of this parliament, was also highly interesting. It was one of the few areas of west central Scotland with a recent history of strong Lib Dem performances. They even ran the local council until 2007. Their collapse in Inverclyde confirmed that it was not just at Holyrood elections that Scottish voters would exact their revenge on the Tories' new best chums.

Inverclyde by-election -. Result: Lab Hold

Lab 54% (-2)
    SNP 33% (+16)
    Con 10% (-2)
    LD 2% (-11)
    UKIP 1% (n/c)

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    It is not often that you see Tory and Green candidates with identical prices.

3 MEPs will be elected in Northern Ireland at the Euros.

Ladbrokes - NI seat winners

Martina Anderson (SF) 1/80
    Diane Dodds (DUP) 1/12
    Jim Nicholson (UUP) 4/11
    Jim Allister (TUV) 2/1
    Alex Attwood (SDLP) 4/1
    Anna Lo (All) 16/1
    Tina McKenzie (NI21) 50/1
    Henry Reilly (UKIP) 50/1
    Mark Brotherson (Con) 66/1
    Ross Brown (Grn) 66/1
  • Options
    Newark candidates declared so far:

www.twitter.com/RobertJenrick/tweets

www.twitter.com/MichaelPayneUK
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Nice to catch up with everyone last night at DD's
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all. It may be seen in hindsight that Newark was the point at which the GE2015 moved decisively to the Tories and away from Labour, especially if it is a Tory hold with UKIP a good second and Labour a poor third.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    Off-topic:

It's been twenty years since women could be ordained in the CofE, and despite dire pronouncements at the time, the CofE hasn't ended.

I hope the ladies enjoy today's celebratory procession, and I hope the people who are against women bishops are proved as wrong as those who were against women priests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27265039
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    It was never feasible for Farage to run. He has the EU campaign built around him and no-one in a position to take over.

He simply doesn't have the time to do both. Delegating someone to pound the streets of Newark is the only choice he had.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hannan says Ukip are reducing the chances of Brexit by banging on about immigrants.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100269924/eurosceptics-are-in-danger-of-losing-everything/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TGOHF said:

Hannan says Ukip are reducing the chances of Brexit by banging on about immigrants.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100269924/eurosceptics-are-in-danger-of-losing-everything/

Required reading for all the Kippers on here:

David Cameron could not have been more definite. “I would not continue as prime minister unless I can be absolutely guaranteed that this referendum would go ahead on an in-out basis,” he announced during a phone-in on Sunday.

He has, in other words, made a referendum on leaving the EU the one declared condition of participation in a future coalition. Not defence or taxation or the voting system: Europe.

Now you might respond by slapping your hands over your ears and shouting “Nah-nah-nah, can’t hear you”. Or you might express the same sentiment in the way that half-clever people sometimes do online do, by saying “You can’t believe a word any politician says”. You might – I sense that some of my regular commenters are already itching to do it – start talking about “Cast-Iron Dave”.

If you begin from the position that anything a politician says is a lie then, by definition, I’m not going to convince you. But I’d ask you to ponder the actions, not just the words, of Conservative Party. Every Conservative MP voted for an In/Out referendum in July. Labour and the Lib Dems, having tried to talk the Bill out, were too cowardly to vote against it in the Commons, instead killing it off quietly in the Lords. But if a Conservative MP comes high enough in the next Private Member’s Bill ballot, the legislation will be reintroduced and, if necessary, subjected to the Parliament Act.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

David Cameron could not have been more definite. “I would not continue as prime minister unless I can be absolutely guaranteed that this referendum would go ahead on an in-out basis,” he announced during a phone-in on Sunday.

He has, in other words, made a referendum on leaving the EU the one declared condition of participation in a future coalition. Not defence or taxation or the voting system: Europe.

Now you might respond by slapping your hands over your ears and shouting “Nah-nah-nah, can’t hear you”. Or you might express the same sentiment in the way that half-clever people sometimes do online do, by saying “You can’t believe a word any politician says”. You might – I sense that some of my regular commenters are already itching to do it – start talking about “Cast-Iron Dave”.

If you begin from the position that anything a politician says is a lie then, by definition, I’m not going to convince you. But I’d ask you to ponder the actions, not just the words, of Conservative Party. Every Conservative MP voted for an In/Out referendum in July. Labour and the Lib Dems, having tried to talk the Bill out, were too cowardly to vote against it in the Commons, instead killing it off quietly in the Lords. But if a Conservative MP comes high enough in the next Private Member’s Bill ballot, the legislation will be reintroduced and, if necessary, subjected to the Parliament Act.
    Charles, do you make any distinction between patriotism and support for the Tories? Hint: if not, you won't be alone, by any means.

• Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Charles, do you make any distinction between patriotism and support for the Tories? Hint: if not, you won't be alone, by any means.

Of course I do. I'm not sure what your point is, or what you are trying to imply by your rather snide "hint"
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

What a bizarre question - with an even odder 'hint'.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

But UKIP voters are a lot more exercised by immigrants than they are about BREXIT - unlike UKIP supporters.....
  • Options
    Let me try to explain my previous post. I have in the real world met Tory activists who believe that their Party membership and their patriotism are the same thing. I don't see what's "snide" about seeking to establish whether or not someone on here sees politics in the same way. It was, after all, the political commonplace 250-300 years ago (although the Party then was Whig, not Tory) and may yet become so again. Particularly where the EU is concerned - there is no shortage of people who think as the McWhirters did. (Again, the Party is different but the principle is the same.)
  • Options

Let me try to explain my previous post. I have in the real world met Tory activists who believe that their Party membership and their patriotism are the same thing. I don't see what's "snide" about seeking to establish whether or not someone on here sees politics in the same way. It was, after all, the political commonplace 250-300 years ago (although the Party then was Whig, not Tory) and may yet become so again. Particularly where the EU is concerned - there is no shortage of people who think as the McWhirters did. (Again, the Party is different but the principle is the same.)

Most Tories are patriots, but not all Patriots are Tories. That clear enough for you?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

According to YouGov, 13% of the voters think Mr Cameron is honest.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/8cm4ggnrez/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-290414.pdf
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Since most activists of all parties believe their policies ars the best for their country presumably they all equate their party with patriotism. In other words a pretty meaningless hypothesis.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    I think the by-election may flatter to deceive. If the result is a substantially reduced Tory majority with Labour second and UKIP a strong third or vice versa, we'll all say oh well and move on. It has the potential to be very significant, but I'm not yet convinced it will be.

On patriotism and parties, isn't it a bit like religion? - one can feel one's choice is the best for the society around one, while acknowledging that others may have a legitimate different view. It's only when confidence of being right blurs into the conclusion that people who think differently are unpatriotic that it turns noxious. What's distressing about the Ukraine is that people who are normally pleasant and civilised suddenly get seized with the idea that it's vital to belong to one country and reject another and anyone who disagrees should be killed. We have our faults but at least we're a long way from that - the Indyref is for all the squabbling not stirring up real hatred.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Sorry, me old Charlie, but I and millions like me, wouldn't believe a word that cast iron Cammo said if it was laid in stone and inlaid with diamonds. So you are not convincing me and for once Hannan is talking hot air and covering his tory arse.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

I think the by-election may flatter to deceive. If the result is a substantially reduced Tory majority with Labour second and UKIP a strong third or vice versa, we'll all say oh well and move on. It has the potential to be very significant, but I'm not yet convinced it will be.

On patriotism and parties, isn't it a bit like religion? - one can feel one's choice is the best for the society around one, while acknowledging that others may have a legitimate different view. It's only when confidence of being right blurs into the conclusion that people who think differently are unpatriotic that it turns noxious. What's distressing about the Ukraine is that people who are normally pleasant and civilised suddenly get seized with the idea that it's vital to belong to one country and reject another and anyone who disagrees should be killed. We have our faults but at least we're a long way from that - the Indyref is for all the squabbling not stirring up real hatred.

Re Newark, there is no vice-versa, Nick. If Labour come third it is a disaster for them. Likewise if the Tories lose the seat for them.

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Interesting article in the local paper about some children who have been allocated none of their secondary school choices, but instead have been allocated the local catholic school.

They are complaining that as atheists they do not want to go to a catholic school.

Should they have that right?
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Hi Hertsmere Pubgoer!T`was nice to catch up with some people at DD`s yesterday.We all looked pretty normal I would say.And even Fluffy was nice to me!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all. How was it at DDs last night and who was there? Sorry I couldn't be with you.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Sorry, me old Charlie, but I and millions like me, wouldn't believe a word that cast iron Cammo said if it was laid in stone and inlaid with diamonds. So you are not convincing me and for once Hannan is talking hot air and covering his tory arse.

Then that's more your failing, than his.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.

• Options

Interesting article in the local paper about some children who have been allocated none of their secondary school choices, but instead have been allocated the local catholic school.

They are complaining that as atheists they do not want to go to a catholic school.

Should they have that right?

Yes. They should.
    Then again, I think schools should be entirely non religious. Much like I think life should be.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.

It's the majority view of the political class.
  • Options

I hope you're right and I hope it stays that way.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.

According to the polling it is the view of a large majority of the electorate. Only 13% of them think Cameron is honest.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

In the saying memorably mangled by Bush, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning all. How was it at DDs last night and who was there? Sorry I couldn't be with you.

Hi!`T was lovely.Didn`t know everyone there but chatted with Fluffy,Pubgoer,Fat Steve,Gabriel,Max,John O Hersham,Toms(I think),Sam,Old Labour,Double Carpet,Shadsy and Mike ofcourse!

• Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.
    Again, then that's more your failing than his.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.

According to the polling it is the view of a large majority of the electorate. Only 13% of them think Cameron is honest.
    No, no, I meant it is the majority view of all politicians, people don't see any of them as honest in general. Therefore whoever pledges whatever is unlikely to be believed in general.

Too many generals there, not enough soldiers!
  • Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.
    That's your opinion.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.
    That's your opinion.
    Let's put it this way: is there anything Cameron could do that would make you believe he's honest? What hurdles would he have to climb, and do you apply those same hurdles to (say) 'manifesto' Farage?
  • Options
    ANECDOTE ALERT!

Drinks last night with one of my oldest friends. He's a former Thatcher voter turned Tory hater, went Lib Dem last time and is now swung behind Labour (he's a teacher, it had to happen eventually). Moribund about Miliband sums up his mood, which make me chuckle being the caring sort of pal I am.

However, we got on to the Faragasm and in/out referendum. He's all in favour because he doesn't think the genuine arguments for and against membership have ever been put 'out there' when everyone is listening with a decision to make. He also thinks out would probably win, even though he is an innie. Struck me as interesting, the desire to have the debate properly aired an decided upon even though the result may not be the one wanted. I am wondering how much of a feeling there is in the parties of the centre left, amongst normal members and voters, to see the debate aired and a decision taken and could this, in part, be some of the protest/movement behind UKIP?

And whilst we are on anecdotal evidence, Green Party posters in leafy village of Frettenham to the NE of Norwich, it's more shocking than seeing giant Labour posters in farmers fields in 1997! The Greens will do quite well in the locals round here, but they are going backwards in Norwich South.

Dyedwoolie sign off prediction, Labour will gain more than the Tories in 2015, but there WILL be some Labour losses to Tory.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.
    That's your opinion.
    Let's put it this way: is there anything Cameron could do that would make you believe he's honest? What hurdles would he have to climb, and do you apply those same hurdles to (say) 'manifesto' Farage?
    The Conservatives _current_ election campaign, for the EU Parliament, contains blatant lies.

Given that the overwhelming majority disagree with you, why don't you reconsider your own position?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited May 2014
    SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

Hi!`T was lovely.Didn`t know everyone there but chatted with Fluffy,Pubgoer,Fat Steve,Gabriel,Max,John O Hersham,Toms(I think),Sam,Old Labour,Double Carpet,Shadsy and Mike ofcourse!

Smookie! How could you forget Henry Kelly Jr Neil!!!

And did you miss iSam - the coolest bloke there and Quincel (the guy with the silly hat)?!

P.S. "Tom" is wee Corporeal. Oh and 'Ave-it was there (but probably had been sedated prior)!

That only leaves us to find out the following:

# Who was the bumpcious Lib-Dhimmie lass, and
    # Was that miserable loner in a suit-and-tie really "who-we-think-he-was"...?
  • Options

The Conservatives _current_ election campaign, for the EU Parliament, contains blatant lies.

Given that the overwhelming majority disagree with you, why don't you reconsider your own position?

Like what? Can we have some examples please?

But so does UKIP. Things like the 70% of laws made in Brussels; see yesterday's More or Less on Radio 4 for a fisking of that. It's also a sad exaggeration, as there is a point to be made there. But lying is not the way to make it.

Why don't you apply the same standards to your team as the opposition?
  • Options

I am wondering how much of a feeling there is in the parties of the centre left, amongst normal members and voters, to see the debate aired and a decision taken and could this, in part, be some of the protest/movement behind UKIP?

Looking at the recent ComRes EU poll yesterday, there are more 2010 LD voters in current(EU)-UKIP, than there are in current(EU)-LD!

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

MikeK said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

It's the majority view.
    That's your opinion.
    You are wasting your time - they don't want a referendum as they actively enjoy moaning.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited May 2014

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

And did you miss iSam - the coolest bloke there and Quincel (the guy with the silly hat)?!

P.S. "Tom" is wee Corporeal. Oh and 'Ave-it was there (but probably had been sedated prior)!

I was only there for a flying visit, but was in conversation throughout that visit. I do plead guilty to the suit and tie though.

EDIT I liked the hat too.
  • Options

But so does UKIP. Things like the 70% of laws made in Brussels; see yesterday's More or Less on Radio 4 for a fisking of that. It's also a sad exaggeration, as there is a point to be made there. But lying is not the way to make it.

Yesterdays More or Less was one of the most partial programmes I have heard in years. It was superficial in the extreme. Not really surprising given that the BBC are still in receipt of EU money.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

Oops!I thought I forgot someone.Hopefully Neil is still asleep and won`t read this.

Sam was definitely the coolest guy there.I remembered the guy with the hat but didn`t know he was Quincel.I left at 9 so must have missed the lass!Are you talking about the guy in the pin-stripes?
  • Options

...What's distressing about the Ukraine is that people who are normally pleasant and civilised suddenly get seized with the idea that it's vital to belong to one country and reject another and anyone who disagrees should be killed.

Sven goes for the "Gran'pa Samuel Miliband" defence. Let us all pretend to ignore the significance of the Battle of Warsaw (1919) and condemn people who wish to throw-off the yolk of serfdom and socialism...!

:[MODERATED]:
  • Options
    edited May 2014

The >70% figure comes from Ms Reding. She is the current EU Commissioner for Justice.

http://vimeo.com/86013794

• Options
    edited May 2014
    SMukesh said:

Are you talking about the guy in the pin-stripes?

Yep!

Edit:

Ah, an admission of guilt from master antifrank: Nice to see you sir!
  • Options

No, no, I meant it is the majority view of all politicians, people don't see any of them as honest in general. Therefore whoever pledges whatever is unlikely to be believed in general.

Ah misunderstood. Yes I that case I agree with you. I don't trust any of them really. The point being that if you trust none of them why would you specifically exclude Cameron from that and say he can be trusted on a referendum - particularly given that he has reneged on such promises before.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Struck me as interesting, the desire to have the debate properly aired an decided upon even though the result may not be the one wanted. I am wondering how much of a feeling there is in the parties of the centre left, amongst normal members and voters, to see the debate aired and a decision taken and could this, in part, be some of the protest/movement behind UKIP?

In general people like the idea of referenda about anything - we get asked about something, what's not to like? Active politicians who get a say anyway are more wary - "my sensible policy X might be overruled on a whim by those unpredictable voters".

I personally like the Swiss system and think we could reasonably introduce it at least on a consultative basis - if there is a strong feeling out there that we should do Y (e.g. the death penalty), even if I favour X I'd accept that we ought to debate it, consider Y, and if necessary explain why we prefer X.

But it does need a referendum culture, which means extensive pro and con information provided to all voters with their voting cards and a general tradition that voters look at every issue on its merits. With our system of occasional referenda, the risk is that not-very-engaged people vote in accordance with whether they're pissed off at the moment with whoever happens to be in power, and suddenly something massive has been decided. The fact that polls say that Scots' Indyref intentions are strongly influenced by who they think will win the next GE is an example.

I think it's reasonable for politicians to be wary of offering referenda on that basis if they feel that one outcome would be catastrophic. All British parties have a tradition of offering referenda as a political move to pacify critics (SeanT likes to retail my own wavering on this), but usually only really do them when they're sure they'll get a result that they feel isn't a disaster. Perhaps making consultative referenda more common would be a way to build a culture which could risk regular binding referenda?

• Options
    antifrank said:

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

I was only there for a flying visit, but was in conversation throughout that visit. I do plead guilty to the suit and tie though.

Were you the `pin-stripes` guy?I should have said hello!
  • Options
    @smukesh

Sorry not to have made it last night - been a brutal week so headed home early
  • Options

Struck me as interesting, the desire to have the debate properly aired an decided upon even though the result may not be the one wanted. I am wondering how much of a feeling there is in the parties of the centre left, amongst normal members and voters, to see the debate aired and a decision taken and could this, in part, be some of the protest/movement behind UKIP?

In general people like the idea of referenda about anything - we get asked about something, what's not to like? Active politicians who get a say anyway are more wary - "my sensible policy X might be overruled on a whim by those unpredictable voters".

I personally like the Swiss system and think we could reasonably introduce it at least on a consultative basis - if there is a strong feeling out there that we should do Y (e.g. the death penalty), even if I favour X I'd accept that we ought to debate it, consider Y, and if necessary explain why we prefer X.

But it does need a referendum culture, which means extensive pro and con information provided to all voters with their voting cards and a general tradition that voters look at every issue on its merits. With our system of occasional referenda, the risk is that not-very-engaged people vote in accordance with whether they're pissed off at the moment with whoever happens to be in power, and suddenly something massive has been decided. The fact that polls say that Scots' Indyref intentions are strongly influenced by who they think will win the next GE is an example.

I think it's reasonable for politicians to be wary of offering referenda on that basis if they feel that one outcome would be catastrophic. All British parties have a tradition of offering referenda as a political move to pacify critics (SeanT likes to retail my own wavering on this), but usually only really do them when they're sure they'll get a result that they feel isn't a disaster. Perhaps making consultative referenda more common would be a way to build a culture which could risk regular binding referenda?

Until politicians learn to trust the people, the people won't trust the politicians. Binding referenda would show that politicians trust the people. Since they don't, they can hardly complain about the way that the public feels about them.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

antifrank said:

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

I was indeed, and sorry I didn't have time to stay longer. I would very much have liked a conversation with you.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    "Hopefully Neil is still asleep and won`t read this."

How could I possibly sleep until JohnO posts to let us know where he spent the night?
  • Options
    Neil said:

"Hopefully Neil is still asleep and won`t read this."

How could I possibly sleep until JohnO posts to let us know where he spent the night?

(Hands up and apologises)How could I miss you out!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    But what does 70% mean? Bear in mind that many of our rules come as statutory instruments from the executive rather than parliament?

I have no particular issues with europe deciding for all countries on medicines and licenses. Indeed it seems in the interests of everyone that this is done in a professional way for all countries. Ditto most trade regulation.

Westminster is not noted for the quality of its legislation. (student fees anyone?) So I have no problem with the EU deciding the majority of laws affecting us. Indeed the quality of the debatesin Brussells is usually more civilised and intelligent than the braying packs of PPE educated SPADS that sit on the Commons benches. I agree that there are scoundrels (such as most 2009 kipper MEPs) in Brussells, but they tend to not bother turning up to vote, or are marginalised by the more sensible groupings.

Hannans article is interesting. I think the hyperbole of UKIP may well lose a Britexit referendum. I certainly hope so!

The 70+% figure comes from Ms Reding. She is the current EU Commissioner for Justice.

• Options

Sean Thomas doesn't retail anything, Nick. He's a wholesaler. Or a wholehogger. Something like that, anyway.

• Options
    antifrank said:

SMukesh said:

antifrank said:

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

I was indeed, and sorry I didn't have time to stay longer. I would very much have liked a conversation with you.
    Next time maybe!
  • Options
    :NOTE:

For those who have not had the pleasure can I recommend a conversation with smookie. For a Labour voter he is extremely articulate, intelligent and tolerant (as he put up with me for God-knows-how-long): Absolute gem of a chap!
  • Options

I think the hyperbole of UKIP may well lose a Britexit referendum. I certainly hope so!

The 70+% figure comes from Ms Reding. She is the current EU Commissioner for Justice.

When the hyperbole of UKIP did battle with the hyperbole of the LDs in two televised debates, the hyperbole of UKIP won. Twice.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @SMukesh

Exile to Belfast is the only appropriate punishment.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    edited May 2014

Ah misunderstood. Yes I that case I agree with you. I don't trust any of them really. The point being that if you trust none of them why would you specifically exclude Cameron from that and say he can be trusted on a referendum - particularly given that he has reneged on such promises before.
    What Charles, Nabavi and others who bang on about this incessantly also avoid dealing with is that the in out referendum is not the end sought. The end sought is an exit from the EU and a referendum is only a means to do it.

Even if I could be a 100% sure Cameron would hold a referendum that is only a small part of the equation of deciding to vote for him to win, the other being do I think such a referendum would stand a reasonable chance to be won for the exit side.

A conservative led referendum in 2017 I am not convinced fulfils the second part of this equation on the grounds that we would have all 3 main parties, the bbc and a lot of main stream media campaigning on the In side all financed by bucket loads of cash from the EU. This would be a campaign that made the David and Goliath match look almost a fair fight.

Given that and the fact the only reason they think people like myself should vote conservative is "otherwise Milibrand will get in" and frankly I think the current Tory party is just as bad as Milibrands labour party then I see little reason to vote conservative.

They also make out that If people do not vote Conservative it will be their fault that Labour gets in. Frankly thats shadow chancellors. If people don't vote conservative in sufficient numbers to get elected that is the fault of the conservative party for not being electable and no one else.

(note I am not a ukip supporter, nor have I as ever yet voted ukip. While I support EU exit it is for far different reasons than most UKIP supporters)

• Options

:NOTE:

For those who have not had the pleasure can I recommend a conversation with smookie. For a Labour voter he is extremely articulate, intelligent and tolerant (as he put up with me for God-knows-how-long): Absolute gem of a chap!

Ohh!Fluffy! That`s a lovely comment.You were actually quite nice to me maybe because of the cider!
  • Options
    ZenPagan [10.04am] IIRC - by no means a given, alas, these days - in the 1975 referendum the Communist Party and most of the rest of the Left (we had one back then) campaigned for exit.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@SMukesh

Exile to Belfast is the only appropriate punishment.

I would prefer being posted to Benefits Street in Birmingham!Jok!

I`ll visit Belfast and see what it`s like.If I ever choose Belfast,you are to blame!
  • Options
    Got to go out guys!cu later!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    @Surbiton

FPT:
    " http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/02/holyrood-power-end-bedroom-tax-scotland

Was this giving the Yes the boost ? If the "bedroom tax" is such a good thing, why devolve now ?"

I presume this was to try and kill a particular factor which was especially sore with the Labour voting demographic, which - I also presume - disproportionately contains people on housing benefit.

All that is being handed over is the power to spend out of the existing pot of money. The Scots won't be given any of the dole clawed back by Westminster. However, given the lack of small houses and indeed newish housing in the social sector, the bedroom tax risks a rise in homelessness and rent default and problems for social housing agencies, which would cost Scottish and local gmt dear, and there is some fiscal sense at least in the short term, till we know the longer term situation come September 19.

The article states that it is the LDs who demanded this move. In one sense it is a very small step to devo-a-minimum-extra and something of a poisoned bait for the Scottish government. On the other hand, I'm actually as surprised as you are, as one would have thought that IDS would be only too happy to see the effects of one of his flagship policies on The Glasgow schemes where he was so publicly filmed. It is an admission that Scotland is diverging even more from EWNI in social policy, or perhaps it is the other way round, and I'll be interested to see how this is portrayed in the London media.

• Options

The >70% figure comes from Ms Reding. She is the current EU Commissioner for Justice.

(snip video)
    What Ms Reding said (82 mins in) was: “For what should they vote, they do not know. They for instance do not know that the most powerful parliament in Europe, is the European Parliament… Why? Because the European Parliament is co-decider with the member states on European laws. And European laws are integrated into national laws in the member states. So 70% of the laws in this country are made, co-decided, by the European Parliament”.

We contacted Ms Reding’s press office to find out what source she was basing this on. In fact, the percentage was actually referring to something entirely different – where the European Parliament (consisting of elected representatives for each EU country) has an equal say to the European Council (made up of the governments of all EU countries) on EU laws, not UK laws.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/eu_make_uk_laws_70_per_cent-29589
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Got to go out guys!cu later!

Me2
  • Options

Yesterdays More or Less was one of the most partial programmes I have heard in years. It was superficial in the extreme. Not really surprising given that the BBC are still in receipt of EU money.
    Was it partial just because you didn't agree with it?

I thought it made some good points, not the least of which is that such questions depend on definition.

And from FullFact:
  • Options
    edited May 2014

(snip video)
    What Ms Reding said (82 mins in) was: “For what should they vote, they do not know. They for instance do not know that the most powerful parliament in Europe, is the European Parliament… Why? Because the European Parliament is co-decider with the member states on European laws. And European laws are integrated into national laws in the member states. So 70% of the laws in this country are made, co-decided, by the European Parliament”.

We contacted Ms Reding’s press office to find out what source she was basing this on. In fact, the percentage was actually referring to something entirely different – where the European Parliament (consisting of elected representatives for each EU country) has an equal say to the European Council (made up of the governments of all EU countries) on EU laws, not UK laws.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/eu_make_uk_laws_70_per_cent-29589Do I really need to type a transcript for a two minute video clip, or could you perhaps just watch it?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,075
    Carnyx said:

@Surbiton

FPT:
    " http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/02/holyrood-power-end-bedroom-tax-scotland

Was this giving the Yes the boost ? If the "bedroom tax" is such a good thing, why devolve now ?"

I presume this was to try and kill a particular factor which was especially sore with the Labour voting demographic, which - I also presume - disproportionately contains people on housing benefit.

All that is being handed over is the power to spend out of the existing pot of money. The Scots won't be given any of the dole clawed back by Westminster. However, given the lack of small houses and indeed newish housing in the social sector, the bedroom tax risks a rise in homelessness and rent default and problems for social housing agencies, which would cost Scottish and local gmt dear, and there is some fiscal sense at least in the short term, till we know the longer term situation come September 19.

The article states that it is the LDs who demanded this move. In one sense it is a very small step to devo-a-minimum-extra and something of a poisoned bait for the Scottish government. On the other hand, I'm actually as surprised as you are, as one would have thought that IDS would be only too happy to see the effects of one of his flagship policies on The Glasgow schemes where he was so publicly filmed. It is an admission that Scotland is diverging even more from EWNI in social policy, or perhaps it is the other way round, and I'll be interested to see how this is portrayed in the London media.

Suits London , they get a double whammy, their money for the Bedroom Tax and they cut the Scottish budget into the bargain.
  • Options

(snip video)

Do I really need to type a transcript for a two minute video clip, or could you perhaps, just watch it?

I did watch it, and I disagree with you. Read the above link for clarification.

Besides, it's hardly evidence, is it? Hanging one of UKIP's major claims on such flimsy 'evidence' is rather pathetic. Where's your hard and fast evidence, the figures behind the claim?

Just to help you:
    https://fullfact.org/factchecks/proportion_of_uk_law_made_by_eu-3073

As I said below, there's an issue to be discussed here. Basing your argument on such flimsy 'evidence' will not lead to a helpful discussion.

UKIP supporters say it's better than the other parties. On the basis of this discussion, it is just as liable to distort fact for their own ends.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Good morning, everyone.

It seems cider paves the way to peace. Does perry/pear cider work too?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    A man almost as UKIP obsessed as myself!

http://www.matthewjgoodwin.com/

First article is a good description of the failure to deal with UKIP by the media and other parties, and how their current approach merely drives/reinforces UKIP support
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited May 2014
    @ZenPagan

'A conservative led referendum in 2017 I am not convinced fulfils the second part of this equation on the grounds that we would have all 3 main parties, the bbc and a lot of main stream media campaigning on the In side all financed by bucket loads of cash from the EU.'

And if a referendum is held in 5 or 10 years time you think that will actually change?

UKIP know that whatever the result of a referendum is,it will be the end of UKIP and the end of the gravy train for Farage & co, so any excuse for delaying it will do.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ZenPagan said:

What Charles, Nabavi and others who bang on about this incessantly also avoid dealing with is that the in out referendum is not the end sought. The end sought is an exit from the EU and a referendum is only a means to do it.

Even if I could be a 100% sure Cameron would hold a referendum that is only a small part of the equation of deciding to vote for him to win, the other being do I think such a referendum would stand a reasonable chance to be won for the exit side.

A conservative led referendum in 2017 I am not convinced fulfils the second part of this equation on the grounds that we would have all 3 main parties, the bbc and a lot of main stream media campaigning on the In side all financed by bucket loads of cash from the EU. This would be a campaign that made the David and Goliath match look almost a fair fight.

Given that and the fact the only reason they think people like myself should vote conservative is "otherwise Milibrand will get in" and frankly I think the current Tory party is just as bad as Milibrands labour party then I see little reason to vote conservative.

They also make out that If people do not vote Conservative it will be their fault that Labour gets in. Frankly thats shadow chancellors. If people don't vote conservative in sufficient numbers to get elected that is the fault of the conservative party for not being electable and no one else.

(note I am not a ukip supporter, nor have I as ever yet voted ukip. While I support EU exit it is for far different reasons than most UKIP supporters)

I agree with just about every word of that. I am at best a reluctant UKIP supporter in so far as I dislike all political parties and distrust all politicians or those with aspirations to politics (sorry Nick). And yes the end desired result is not the referendum itself but leaving the EU. That said I do not believe it would be right to make such a decision without a referendum even if we somehow ended up with a UKIP influenced government.
  • Options
    @ Nick Palmer of this parish

To a large extent, I'm with Antifrank here, the political class must trust the electorate for that trust to ebb back the other way, which it hasn't since the 70s or before.
    And there is a Machiavellian streak in me, if the electorate choose to kick the top dogs and end up worse off because if it, so be it. It is the price of democracy, one which we need to relearn. The 31% that stayed blue in 97 despite the woeful Major government (I voted for Jimmy Goldsmith for my shame) could see what would happen under (not so new) Labour, by 2001 it was too late, we had sown the seeds of our own misery. Now, most can't be bothered. Perhaps a freak result in 2015 will rue engage people to vote with their heads, not their tempers, but we will pay for the lesson.
    That's my biggest gripe with AL Blair, he destroyed politics and engagement. That's before everything he did to the people of Iraq and Afghanistan. Not often I actively hate someone, but he was and remains a truly insidious individual. Brown was a breath of fresh air in comparison, but suffered from chronic incompetence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

MikeK said:

Oops!I thought I forgot someone.Hopefully Neil is still asleep and won`t read this.

Sam was definitely the coolest guy there.I remembered the guy with the hat but didn`t know he was Quincel.I left at 9 so must have missed the lass!Are you talking about the guy in the pin-stripes?
    Haha where's that like button?!!

Was nice to put some faces to names

Wasn't the pinstripe suit bloke called Eric? Erik the Lurker!

Fluffy easier to understand in person even if half cut!
  • Options

I thought it made some good points, not the least of which is that such questions depend on definition.

And from FullFact:
    They do indeed which is why the conclusion that UKIP are lying is so partial.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@ZenPagan

'A conservative led referendum in 2017 I am not convinced fulfils the second part of this equation on the grounds that we would have all 3 main parties, the bbc and a lot of main stream media campaigning on the In side all financed by bucket loads of cash from the EU.'

And if a referendum is held in 5 or 10 years time you think that will actually change?

UKIP know that whatever the result of a referendum is,it will be the end of UKIP and the end of the gravy train for Farage & co, so any excuse for delaying it will do.

A referendum held with the Tory officially party backing Brexit would certainly have a lot more chance of succeeding than one being run on a series of lies and misinformation from Cameron.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Besides, it's hardly evidence, is it? Hanging one of UKIP's major claims on such flimsy 'evidence' is rather pathetic. Where's your hard and fast evidence, the figures behind the claim?

Just to help you:

As I said below, there's an issue to be discussed here. Basing your argument on such flimsy 'evidence' will not lead to a helpful discussion.

UKIP supporters say it's better than the other parties. On the basis of this discussion, it is just as liable to distort fact for their own ends.

Ms Reding is the EU Commissioner for Justice. She said:

"..I do not know if is is 80%, or if it is now 75%. The truth is that most laws which are applied and executed, implemented at national level are based on European laws, directives, which then have to be translated into national laws. So the most, the biggest part of the legislation which is applied in a given member state is decided by the European Parliament in co-decision with the Council of European ministers."

Mr Hannan then referred to a study by the German government which attributed 84% of (German) national laws to the EU.

www.vimeo.com/86013794

If you would prefer to use a lower figure then:

"...The British Government estimates that around 50% of UK legislation with a significant economic impact originates from EU legislation.

Estimates of the proportion of national laws based on EU laws vary widely in other EU Member States, ranging from 6.3% to 84%. However, there is no totally accurate, rational or useful way of calculating the percentage of national laws based on or influenced by the EU."

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP10-62.pdf‎

But Ms Reding is a credible source for UKIP to use.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @Isam - Fluffy easier to understand in person even if half cut!

That is very reassuring to hear - don't get me wrong, I love the guys 'unique' take on the world and the way he expresses it , however, occasionally one feels it would be useful along with the comment, to have a link to appropriate dictionary.
  • Options

And from FullFact:
    They do indeed which is why the conclusion that UKIP are lying is so partial.
    But as far as I can tell, *none* of the figures go as high as 70, 75 or 80%. It seems that 50% is the highest estimate.
    Indeed as the House of Commons Library concluded, it is “possible to justify any measure between 15% and 50% or thereabouts, depending on the approach.”
    If UKIP were saying something like: "too many of our laws are being defined in Brussels." or "up to half of our laws are being defined in Brussels", as far as I can see they'd have an arguable point. But not 70%.

We keep on being told that UKIP is different. This sort of things shows that they're just the same as the other parties.

Below is a link to the HoC's briefing paper. I haven't had a chance to re-read this yet, but Appendix 1 might be a good place to study:
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP10-62/how-much-legislation-comes-from-europe

And this point about Norway should also be noted:
    Norway has twice rejected EU membership in referendums, but is a member of the European Economic Area and therefore implements single market legislation. The study by Ellen
    Mastenbroek and Aebastiaan Princen of January 2010 found that some 45% of Norwegian civil servants stated that they were affected “to some extent or more” by the EU and/or EEA Agreement.
  • Options
    That was a televised debate, not a referendum. There is a risk of Brexit in a referendum, but kippers pale at the thought of a vote to stay in.

I think the hyperbole of UKIP may well lose a Britexit referendum. I certainly hope so!

When the hyperbole of UKIP did battle with the hyperbole of the LDs in two televised debates, the hyperbole of UKIP won. Twice.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Richard_Tyndall

'A referendum held with the Tory officially party backing Brexit would certainly have a lot more chance of succeeding than one being run on a series of lies and misinformation from Cameron.'

Nah, your kidding yourself another excuse would be found,Farage & co are firmly part of the political establishment and love the gravy train.

Farage even boasted about how he had troughed £2 million in expenses.
  • Options
    Hurrah! For the first time in a long time Dr Stephen Fisher's weekly long term General Election forecast is showing an increase in the Tory tally, albeit by just one seat. Labour are also up by one, with the LibDems down two seats:

Con ........ 306
    Lab ........ 286
    LibDem .... 30
    Other ....... 28

Total ...... 650

On this basis, the Tories are 20 seats short of winning an absolute majority ...... one can but dream!
  • Options

Just to help you:

"..I do not know if is is 80%, or if it is now 75%. The truth is that most laws which are applied and executed, implemented at national level are based on European laws, directives, which then have to be translated into national laws. So the most, the biggest part of the legislation which is applied in a given member state is decided by the European Parliament in co-decision with the Council of European ministers."

Mr Hannan then referred to a study by the German government which attributed 84% of (German) national laws to the EU.

"...The British Government estimates that around 50% of UK legislation with a significant economic impact originates from EU legislation.

Estimates of the proportion of national laws based on EU laws vary widely in other EU Member States, ranging from 6.3% to 84%. However, there is no totally accurate, rational or useful way of calculating the percentage of national laws based on or influenced by the EU."

Not if her own office says she is being interpreted incorrectly:

Ms Reding’s press office have told us that they thought her comments were interpreted wrongly.
    I've given enough links to documents on this, rather than the misinterpreted anecdata you cling to.

And your 84% is from the frontispiece to that document, which is outlining the problem, rather than a dissection of the figures.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

There is a risk of Brexit in a referendum, but kippers pale at the thought of a vote to stay in.

Yet strangely it's the 'in' camp who are opposed to a referendum. Or rather a minority within the 'in' camp.
  • Options

Just to help you:

Not if her own office says she is being interpreted incorrectly:

Ms Reding’s press office have told us that they thought her comments were interpreted wrongly.
    I've given enough links to documents on this, rather than the misinterpreted anecdata you cling to.

And your 84% is from the frontispiece to that document, which is outlining the problem, rather than a dissection of the figures.You will of course have noticed that the Full fact website is referring to a different statement by Ms Reding.

• Options
    No stable govt possible on that? A continuity coalition with a wafer thin majority - until the next election?

Hurrah! For the first time in a long time Dr Stephen Fisher's weekly long term General Election forecast is showing an increase in the Tory tally, albeit by just one seat. Labour are also up by one, with the LibDems down two seats:

Con ........ 306
    Lab ........ 286
    LibDem .... 30
    Other ....... 28

Total ...... 650

On this basis, the Tories are 20 seats short of winning an absolute majority ...... one can but dream!

• Options
    edited May 2014

If UKIP were saying something like: "too many of our laws are being defined in Brussels." or "up to half of our laws are being defined in Brussels", as far as I can see they'd have an arguable point. But not 70%.

We keep on being told that UKIP is different. This sort of things shows that they're just the same as the other parties.

Below is a link to the HoC's briefing paper. I haven't had a chance to re-read this yet, but Appendix 1 might be a good place to study:
    http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP10-62/how-much-legislation-comes-from-europe

And this point about Norway should also be noted:

Norway has twice rejected EU membership in referendums, but is a member of the European Economic Area and therefore implements single market legislation. The study by Ellen
    Mastenbroek and Aebastiaan Princen of January 2010 found that some 45% of Norwegian civil servants stated that they were affected “to some extent or more” by the EU and/or EEA Agreement.

The Full Fact you are quoting come from 3 years ago and even then shows a rapid increase in the amount of law and regulation originating at the EU level. Given the comments by the EU Commissioner there is no reason to doubt that could have increased to 70% by now.

Your quote concerning Norway is a wonderful piece of misdirection. I doubt there is a single civil servant in the UK who could not claim that they were effected 'to some extent' by the EU. That is in no way comparable with the amount of law and regulation they are subjected to. Even if they only had to take into account one piece of EU derived legislation per year they would still be affected 'to some extent'.

There is certainly plenty of acceptable evidence to show that a 70% figure is a reasonable estimate. So the accusation you made of 'lies' is clearly proven false.

Of course the real question is why we should accept 50%, 20%, 5% or 1% of laws and regulations being decided by the EU.
  • Options
    perdix & Richard_Tyndall - looking at your two faces, were you two twins, separated at birth by any chance?
This discussion has been closed.