Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With 17 months to go the Scottish #IndyRef YES appears to h

124»

Comments

• Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Not commenting on whether it's better or not, James."

Why not? Don't you have a view? It's just occurred to me that I've had umpteen exchanges with you on a political forum, and yet I'm still extremely unclear about your political views. You ask me a lot of questions, would you mind answering one of my own?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    This doesn't make much sense from Norman Lamont:

Former Chancellor Norman Lamont has said he thinks Britain should leave the EU only if the relationship cannot be renegotiated along purely commercial lines.

Lord Lamont told the BBC, "we should make an attempt to renegotiate and see if we can get a free trade arrangement with the EU.

"If we can't get that, I think we should leave."

Surely a free trade agreement without any political union is almost by definition outside the EU?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195

"Not commenting on whether it's better or not, James."

Why not? Don't you have a view? It's just occurred to me that I've had umpteen exchanges with you on a political forum, and yet I'm still extremely unclear about your political views. You ask me a lot of questions, would you mind answering one of my own?

Hopefully you have noted my new avatar!
  • Options
    So you're UKIP? What do you like about them? Are you anti-immigration, or are you more interested in the Europe issue?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Tory backbenchers are sticking an amendment on the Queen's Speech for a referendum on Europe before the election. Nadine Dorries to sign it on her first day back. How Cameron must be delighted to have the whole Tory family back in the fold...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This doesn't make much sense from Norman Lamont:

Former Chancellor Norman Lamont has said he thinks Britain should leave the EU only if the relationship cannot be renegotiated along purely commercial lines.

Lord Lamont told the BBC, "we should make an attempt to renegotiate and see if we can get a free trade arrangement with the EU.

"If we can't get that, I think we should leave."

Surely a free trade agreement without any political union is almost by definition outside the EU?

Is he worried we may not be able to "rejoin" EFTA?
  • Options

So you're UKIP? What do you like about them? Are you anti-immigration, or are you more interested in the Europe issue?

More interested in the Europe thing at the moment. Also a dash of the "none of the above" syndrome too, to be frank! BTW you know that I am and have been pro-Union for yonks.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    HYUFD said:
    Voting for someone on the basis of how they dressed? It's the dumbed down and shallow X Factor generation, innit. Never mind that she lives in London, and he's the MP for Doncaster.

(Holds head in hands).

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2013
    OT Just been watching an episode of CSI NY about arson, and was reminded of that excellent movie Backdraft. Is there a better film re firefighting than that? The mush factor is a wee bit much for me at times, but overall is a cracker with stunning real effects not CGI.

Stunts aren't what they used to be - now its all CGI and it just doesn't have the WOW factor.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013
    Quincel said:

Tory backbenchers are sticking an amendment on the Queen's Speech for a referendum on Europe before the election.

More empty posturing.
    Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily

Tory rebel amendment: "This House respectfully regrets that an EU Referendum Bill was not included in the Gracious Speech." #QueensSpeech
    Meaningless since it doesn't even seem to bother Cammie.
    Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv

No10: PM is "relaxed" about #queensspeech amendment by Tory MPs on EU referendum and will want to "consider it carefully"

"consider it carefully" no less.

That will have UKIP and Farage terrified.

*chuckles*
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited May 2013

"Curiously enough the SNP do not appear to be trumpeting this result."The No side have got themselves into a huge pickle over this donation - their campaign is going to look permanently tainted if they don't return it

Only among SNP supporters.
    You're usually such an assiduous sifter of the Scottish press, but you appear to have missed the several pieces in The Herald about it, not to mention their receipt of a letter (one of several they sent out) from Mr Taylor's lawyers. The Herald has been a bit more balanced lately, but I don't think it could be described as an SNP supporter.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

This anti-immigration tag is used too much, although I suppose it's better than anti-immigrant. I'm not anti-immigration. I just think it should be controlled.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    TheWatcher - Well as I posted a few weeks back after Cameron visited a Midlands factory one of the workers said she would vote for him because he gave her an autograph. Most of the population are not political junkies like us, for better or worse, and I seem to remember many voters in 2001 would not vote for Hague because of his hair. I am sure Cameron and Miliband will still be grateful for the votes!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Quincel said:

Tory backbenchers are sticking an amendment on the Queen's Speech for a referendum on Europe before the election. Nadine Dorries to sign it on her first day back. How Cameron must be delighted to have the whole Tory family back in the fold...

I agree with mr eagles on dorries,why doesn't she just f... off to labour,she never has a bad word towards the labour party(by the way,I'm not a tory,I'm in the ukip fold)

This just reminds me of the major years and I blame Cameron for it,he should have showed bollocks and gone for a early referendum vote on the EU,again he proves he's crap at politics,the man who destroyed the tory party and I'm afraid he's got to go.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,872
    carl said:

So today we have

Tory childcare 'reforms' in utter chaos.

IDS caught using dodgy stats trying to justify another failing 'reform'

The EU civil war rumbling on.

Councils warning of the lights going out thanks to Tory policies.

Tories polling their lowest ever YouGov.

Cameron's Tories resemble Brown's Labour so much it's untrue. A dog of a Government, just waiting for the end, the sweet mercy that the electorate will hand out.

"Councils warning of the lights going out thanks to Tory policies."

I know this might be a tad too complex for you, but power stations are not built in an instant. Planning alone can take years, and construction easily two or more years longer than that. Equipment needs ordering, plant and men need to be hired and available from other projects, pipelines need constructing, and a host of other items.

Any power shortages in the 2015-16 timeframe will fall directly at the feet of the last Labour government, who agreed to the closure of a large amount of generative capacity without allowing the construction of new capacity to replace it.

And the person responsible? (fx: Drum roll): Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    "BTW you know that I am and have been pro-Union for yonks."

To be honest, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between genuine principle and wind-up activity. I'm grateful for the clarification, but I hope you would accept that Scottish independence is primarily a matter for people who live in Scotland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

carl said:

So today we have

Cameron's Tories resemble Brown's Labour so much it's untrue. A dog of a Government, just waiting for the end, the sweet mercy that the electorate will hand out.

I know this might be a tad too complex for you, but power stations are not built in an instant. Planning alone can take years, and construction easily two or more years longer than that. Equipment needs ordering, plant and men need to be hired and available from other projects, pipelines need constructing, and a host of other items.

Any power shortages in the 2015-16 timeframe will fall directly at the feet of the last Labour government, who agreed to the closure of a large amount of generative capacity without allowing the construction of new capacity to replace it.

carl said:

So today we have

"Like" !
  • Options
    edited May 2013

This just reminds me of the major years and I blame Cameron for it

Cammie does what he does because he knows he can get away with it. Time after time the Tory Eurosceptics have been made to look like gullible fools for believing him yet they just keep coming back for more.

he should have showed bollocks and gone for a early referendum vote on the EU,again he proves he's crap at politics,the man who destroyed the tory party and I'm afraid he's got to go.

He isn't the master strategist, Osbrowne is.
    The aim was always to hold together the tory party on Europe just long enough to get to the next election through a combination of posturing and jam tomorrow promises. They hardly look unified now but Cammie is still leader and they are hugely unlikely to topple him before 2015 because they don't have the balls either.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Btw, re power stations, it's worth checking out one of Britain's best (but relatively little known) companies: Agrekko. They make mini power stations that run on both natural gas and diesel and which are exactly the same size as a standard shipping container.

Should power ever become a real issue, they would happily rent HMG a few hundred units :-)

It's also worth remembering that we have a very nice cable between the UK and France, so we can buy lovely French power if we need it. (French electrons are shinier than British ones, and smell more like roses.)

In fact, on the OFGEM figures (which are unduly pessimistic on most measures) we only get down to a 10% reserve margin at worst in 2015, so long as you remember we do have the ability to import power.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Tykejohnno

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m
    Asked by @tombradby if she still thinks PM and Osbo are 'arrogant posh boys', @NadineDorriesMP kinda struggled to answer. Watch NewsatTen

Thing is, who's really going to deny that obvious truth?

again he proves he's crap at politics,the man who destroyed the tory party and I'm afraid he's got to go.

If they intend to chase the UKIP vote it's difficult to see what the point of Cameron is.
    Fine if they wanted someone to appeal to the centre, Dave can do all that "as a father" Date Night shite, but he's lost women voters, and the right don't take him seriously anymore either.

Plus you get the bonus of losing Osborne at the same time.

But who should replace the chinless clique?

A managerial pair of Hammond and May?

Tim,A managerial pair of Hammond and May?

I agree.
  • Options

"BTW you know that I am and have been pro-Union for yonks."

To be honest, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between genuine principle and wind-up activity. I'm grateful for the clarification, but I hope you would accept that Scottish independence is primarily a matter for people who live in Scotland.

Yes, of course it is. Good to see the latest Mori showing "No" with a 28% lead.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Lords Lawson Lamontable and Healey......Is it significant that the three worst chancellors in any of our lifetimes should come out in support of leaving the EU?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    New from SeanT:

"Is God a plague? How the idea in my thriller turned into startling, and scary, scientific theory":

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100216038/is-god-a-plague-how-the-idea-in-my-thriller-turned-into-startling-and-scary-scientific-theory/#disqus_thread
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Btw, re power stations, it's worth checking out one of Britain's best (but relatively little known) companies: Agrekko. They make mini power stations that run on both natural gas and diesel and which are exactly the same size as a standard shipping container.

Should power ever become a real issue, they would happily rent HMG a few hundred units :-)

It's also worth remembering that we have a very nice cable between the UK and France, so we can buy lovely French power if we need it. (French electrons are shinier than British ones, and smell more like roses.)

In fact, on the OFGEM figures (which are unduly pessimistic on most measures) we only get down to a 10% reserve margin at worst in 2015, so long as you remember we do have the ability to import power.

"In fact, on the OFGEM figures (which are unduly pessimistic on most measures) we only get down to a 10% reserve margin at worst in 2015, so long as you remember we do have the ability to import power."

??? Linky, please.

Can you point to where no interconnector capacity is assumed in the 'Base Case' in the OFGEM document I linked too earlier?

They assume that no new interconnectors come into play (2.18), but also take a cautious approach to the flows by ignoring the fact we currently export to Ireland (2.19)

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Markets/WhlMkts/monitoring-energy-security/elec-capacity-assessment/Documents1/Electricity Capacity Assessment 2012.pdf

Interconnectors also take time to build, have limited capacity, and are inefficient in getting power (say) to Scotland, in the absence of a HVDC network in the UK.

The UK-France interconnector is also only 2GW.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Interconnectors/France/
  • Options

tim said:

@Tykejohnno

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m
    Asked by @tombradby if she still thinks PM and Osbo are 'arrogant posh boys', @NadineDorriesMP kinda struggled to answer. Watch NewsatTen

Thing is, who's really going to deny that obvious truth?

again he proves he's crap at politics,the man who destroyed the tory party and I'm afraid he's got to go.

If they intend to chase the UKIP vote it's difficult to see what the point of Cameron is.
    Fine if they wanted someone to appeal to the centre, Dave can do all that "as a father" Date Night shite, but he's lost women voters, and the right don't take him seriously anymore either.

Plus you get the bonus of losing Osborne at the same time.

But who should replace the chinless clique?

A managerial pair of Hammond and May?

Tim,A managerial pair of Hammond and May?

I agree.
    Richard Hammond and James May? Great idea!

Only problem - where do you put Clarkson?

:)
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan, Great post ;-)

Clarkson,PM of course ;-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Foreign Secretary, clearly!

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

rcs1000 said:

"In fact, on the OFGEM figures (which are unduly pessimistic on most measures) we only get down to a 10% reserve margin at worst in 2015, so long as you remember we do have the ability to import power."

??? Linky, please.

Can you point to where no interconnector capacity is assumed in the 'Base Case' in the OFGEM document I linked too earlier?

They assume that no new interconnectors come into play (2.18), but also take a cautious approach to the flows by ignoring the fact we currently export to Ireland (2.19)

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Markets/WhlMkts/monitoring-energy-security/elec-capacity-assessment/Documents1/Electricity Capacity Assessment 2012.pdf

Interconnectors also take time to build, have limited capacity, and are inefficient in getting power (say) to Scotland, in the absence of a HVDC network in the UK.

Why we would consider importing power when we have shale gas?

The Lib Dems and the green lobby are holding this country back, we need to start drilling now

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,753
    Roger said:

Lords Lawson Lamontable and Healey......Is it significant that the three worst chancellors in any of our lifetimes should come out in support of leaving the EU?

now you're just playing with us Roger, we all know Gordon Brown was the three worst chancellors of our liftimes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Lawson was a very good chancellor.

The worst chancellor in history is Brown, followed by Barber
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750

carl said:

So today we have

I know this might be a tad too complex for you
    Thanks for that.

Did you miss the PB Moderator warnings about personal attacks the other day?

For what it's worth, I was talking about the LGA's budget warnings. Not long-term energy policy (which no political party seems to have a clue about, apart perhaps from the Greens and SNP).
  • Options
    Is UK economy now out of the woods? Leading think tank forecasts growth of 0.8% for the last three months

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-2321993/NIESR-Economy-grew-0-8-months-end-April.html
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Quincel said:

Tory backbenchers are sticking an amendment on the Queen's Speech for a referendum on Europe before the election.

More empty posturing.
    Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily

Tory rebel amendment: "This House respectfully regrets that an EU Referendum Bill was not included in the Gracious Speech." #QueensSpeech
    Meaningless since it doesn't even seem to bother Cammie.
    Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv

No10: PM is "relaxed" about #queensspeech amendment by Tory MPs on EU referendum and will want to "consider it carefully"

"consider it carefully" no less.

That will have UKIP and Farage terrified.

*chuckles*

It's actually a very clever move.

A free vote would enable the public to see which way their MP voted, basically the electorate will know if their MP is for democracy, or whether he/she knows best and the public are too stupid to be allowed a vote.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

Apologies for talking about Scotland on the last thread and the EU on this thread, but I do think people are underestimating our bargaining power in negotiating repatriation of powers. Our key partners will be desperate to keep us from leaving. Germany would be absolutely horrified at being left the only large non-ClubMed economy and the only large pro-business country in the EU. France, Italy and the smaller countries will be worried about an EU completely dominated by Germany. The nomenklatura will be horrified at the very idea of anyone leaving their sacred construction.

Richard, you are making a fundamental mistake, the Germans do not give a s**t about the UK.

They do not care about the Conservative Party or even David Cameron. They care about Germany.

France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and the rest of the EU do not care about the UK, they care about their own country and homes. .

If the UK or rUK leaves the EU, the European Union will continue. The Despised Euro will continue.

What we in the UK has to consider is will we be stronger as part of a large group or weaker on our own
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

rcs1000 said:

??? Linky, please.

Why we would consider importing power when we have shale gas?

The Lib Dems and the green lobby are holding this country back, we need to start drilling now

Errrr, because we're not going to have commercial shale gas for at least five years. And when we do have shale gas it will sell for the world market gas price. Trust me, Quadrilla is not drilling in Blackpool hoping to get $4.23/mcf, it is hoping to get $10-14/mcf.

And if it's cheaper for us to import electricity than make our own we should. Otherwise we are disadvantaging businesses that are electricity users.

Free trade is free trade.

My basic contention is that we are not about to suffer brownouts and rationing. Trust me, there are few subjects I am an expert on, but I've financed quite a few power stations, and this is something I'm pretty comfortable talking about with a degree of knowledge.
  • Options
    @tim,bbc 2 at 8pm,you see the part of Bradford I live lad ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foreign Secretary, clearly!

LOL! Of course!
  • Options
    carl said:

carl said:

So today we have

I know this might be a tad too complex for you
    Thanks for that.

Did you miss the PB Moderator warnings about personal attacks the other day?

For what it's worth, I was talking about the LGA's budget warnings. Not long-term energy policy (which no political party seems to have a clue about, apart perhaps from the Greens and SNP).
    Okay, I apologise for that. But it appears I was right; it is too complex. How do you expect anyone to react well when you proclaim that the Greens - the Greens - have a clue about energy policy!!!

Aside from mucking it up, that is.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2013
    rcs1000 said:

I'm intrigued.

Let's say Didcot B at 1360MW is offline, and there's no spare capacity. How many containerised diesel generators (mini power stations is stretching it a bit) do you think would be needed to pick up the shortfall? A few hundred or over a thousand? Or nearly 5000 of their largest units?

And do Aggreko really have that many sets lying idle at any one time?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    HEY! NEW THREAD STARTED
  • Options

@Sunil_Prasannan, Great post ;-)

Clarkson,PM of course ;-)

Even better! :)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm intrigued.

Let's say Didcot B at 1360MW is offline, and there's no spare capacity. How many containerised diesel generators (mini power stations is stretching it a bit) do you think would be needed to pick up the shortfall? A few hundred or over a thousand? Or nearly 5000 of their largest units?

And do Aggreko really have that many sets lying idle at any one time?

And cost; these plants will not be as economic as larger ones. And then there are problems of getting the vast amounts of energy supply (gas/oil) to them.

In the early 1900s every town had a power station or two (often creating town gas for other purposes at the same time). From the 1950s onwards, we moved towards having much larger and much more economical units out of town. There was a reason for this: economics.

A retrograde step backwards to distributed generation needs an economic answer. And you are not going to get that with thermal plants, where larger = more efficient.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's actually a very clever move.

A free vote would enable the public to see which way their MP voted

For what precisely?
    Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events but the referendum on a referendum is meaningless tosh. Cammie intends to use it as his fallback when he wriggles out of his Cast Iron IN/OUT referendum should he ever get elected.

Any Bill will also be meaningless posturing merely backing up the existing line that he would only have IN/OUT after renegotiation.

basically the electorate will know if their MP is for democracy, or whether he/she knows best and the public are too stupid to be allowed a vote.

I'm not surprised tory eurosceptics are endlessly gullible when it comes to Cammie's promises but for a supposed kipper to apparently believe them? The Bill will guarantee nothing nor will it force tories to take a stand on IN or OUT. It's vapid empty posturing.

This discussion has been closed.