Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the number of Lib Dem MEPs

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the number of Lib Dem MEPs

If we apply UNS to the ICM poll for the Guardian, they will end up with zero MEPs. Now this election is conducted in regions under the d’Hondt  method so a straight UNS calculation may not be apt.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    They will get 2. SW and London
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Balls getting very ratty on WATO.....doesn't like a poll he quoted being quoted back at him....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    May scrape one in East.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985
    3-1 now, value gone. The sorry Libs will scrape 1 or maybe even 2. Amusing that the odds for 3+ are longer than 0 now.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    FPT

Maybe it was my max allowed bet that smashed this market into shape? #ladygodiva

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 35m
    Bookies have tightened the odds from 5/1 to 3/1 that the Libdems will get zero seats at the European Elections.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Based on the number of attempts to sign back on to PB, having been kicked out (again) - I'm going to plum for 12 MEPs.
  • Options
    If the LibDems do score a big fat zero of MEPs :

Q1 Will Clegg get turfed out in double quick time?

Q2 Will Clegg's successor call time on the coalition?

Q3 Will the Tories lose a confidence motion?

Q4 Will there be an early General Election?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    My, my. What happened to the Bonfire of TSE's vanities? ;D
  • Options
    Based on the above odds, there's a 12% overround by Ladbrokes, so worth shopping around if possible. A combination bet on 1 or 2 seats in combination pays 8/15 not bad value imho. 3+ LD seats look unlikely.
  • Options

Peter Hitchens has been predicting a coalition break up by Spring 2014 for a long while... time is running out for the prediction to be proven correct.. but maybe after the Euros it will be???

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/05/mystic-hitchens-is-right-again.html
  • Options
    MikeK said:

My, my. What happened to the Bonfire of TSE's vanities? ;D

Well you know, us privately educated chaps have it in for UKIP,

Right, I have to love you and leave you, I have a date with Emma Stone.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "Betting on the number of Lib Dem MEPs"

Real lib dems or imaginary american/swiss lib dems?

:)
  • Options

Based on the number of attempts to sign back on to PB, having been kicked out (again) - I'm going to plum for 12 MEPs.

Not just you. It's approaching Disqus levels of error and I've lost count now.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Based on the above odds, there's a 12% overround by Ladbrokes, so worth shopping around if possible. A combination bet on 1 or 2 seats in combination pays 8/15 not bad value imho. 3+ LD seats look unlikely.

@MarkSenior backed 2 or more LD seats at 5/6 (1.83) w Paddy Power

Ladbrokes appear to be nearer Even money (1.97)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Can this photo be Putin collecting allies?

pic.twitter.com/848VfLGik7

— Anonymous (@YourAnonNews) March 29, 2014
  • Options
    Ladbrokes appear to be nearer Even money (1.97)

Yep, that looks like fair value ...... personally I wouldn't back the zero option.
  • Options

Q1. No. Even if there were a brave enough lib dem to mount a direct challenge that challenge wouldn't be over quickly. If he was persuaded to leave that could be quick but since Clegg and his ostrich faction are blithely talking about staying on till 2020 it sure don't look like he's in a hurry to go.

Q2. Depends on who if there is one. A caretaker would keep things much as they are to ensure a smooth contest after the election. A break would be symbolic so it wouldn't be any of the more right wing continuity Clegg candidates. If it's a social democrat maybe but he'd still be turfing out a lot of lib dems from their comfortable junior ministerial jobs and perks so it's not as simple as it first appears.

Q3. Won't be one. All the parties are geared up for May with their resources and strategy being carefully planned and allocated as it is. There certainly wouldn't be any controversial legislation but most legislation has virtually ground to a halt now anyway.

Q4. No. Same reason as above. No party would benefit. None of them will be prepared.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Minimum is 3 IMO , London , SE and SW hence 5/6 with PP on 2 or more is excellent odds
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    isam said:
    It's an intriguing link though rather insubstantial. This passage is a classic:

"It is clearly a mistake to think of an undifferentiated group of undecided who are clearly set apart from their fellow citizens who have made up their minds. Rather voters lie at various points on a spectrum of indecision. "

Like the graffiti: "I used to think I was indecisive. Now I'm not so sure."
  • Options
    isam said:

Peter Hitchens has been predicting a coalition break up by Spring 2014 for a long while... time is running out for the prediction to be proven correct.. but maybe after the Euros it will be???

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2013/05/mystic-hitchens-is-right-again.html
    Some have been predicting the end of the coalition by October 2010 , end of 2011 , end of 2012 , spring 2013 , spring 2014 , some of these are posters on here some of whom have changed their posting names to try and hide that they were wrong so many times .
  • Options

isam said:

Some have been predicting the end of the coalition by October 2010 , end of 2011 , end of 2012 , spring 2013 , spring 2014 , some of these are posters on here some of whom have changed their posting names to try and hide that they were wrong so many times .
    I think I've got a fiver at 9-2 that it ends this year. Hills go 7s now on the possibility of it ending before 2015. Whilst I'm not backing the 1/16 it is staying on the road, Hills odds imply a ~90+% chance of the show going on.
  • Options

Minimum is 3 IMO , London , SE and SW hence 5/6 with PP on 2 or more is excellent odds

You should go in again at 1.97 with Ladbrokes no?
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

I remember Mike K lumping on a 2014 GE ! - Told him Paddy would be happy to take his cash...
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Lib Dems got 6.8% in the list vote in London in 2012. I wouldnt be counting on a seat in London as a banker.

• Options

isam said:

Maybe they think the rules don't apply to them?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Given every day is a car crash for Ed Balls in PB Tory world, what to say when he actually does crash his car?
  • Options
    isam said:

Ladbrokes are not offering a straight 1.97 and you are assuming they would let me place the full amounts as arbs to get those odds .
  • Options

isam said:

Think Hitchens has always said Spring 2014... who are these name changing posters?? Every time I speculate I get told off!

(I did change my posting name, but only because the password wouldn't work on my ipad, and only from sam to isam.. I admit I AM SAM!)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Lib Dems got 6.8% in the list vote in London in 2012. I wouldnt be counting on a seat in London as a banker.

We shall see , the Yougov/ Evening Standard poll suggests 11/12% which looks about right .
  • Options

isam said:

Ladbrokes are not offering a straight 1.97 and you are assuming they would let me place the full amounts as arbs to get those odds .
    Not really. Just if you think something is worth a bet at 1.83 you should prob bet it at 1.97... nothing to do with arbs
  • Options
    @Isam

What happened to the 'PB Legend' Tim we hear so much about - or is he actually SeanT??
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Not really. Just if you think something is worth a bet at 1.83 you should prob bet it at 1.97... nothing to do with arbs
    Ladbrokes are not offering that bet at 1.97
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,058
    I got in at 5-1 the other day, thanks to isam.

That said, I shan't be topping up at 3-1: the right probability is probably 30%, maybe 35%.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2014

May scrape one in East.

As Rod was saying the other day, their four most likely seats are SE, SW, NW and London. Eastern is not so likely, mainly because it's probably going to be UKIP's best region.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Yes they are

Have £28.57 @5/2 2 seats
    and £22.22 @7/2 3 or more seats

Hey Presto!

£50.79@1.97 2 or more seats
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420

Neil said:

We shall see , the Yougov/ Evening Standard poll suggests 11/12% which looks about right .
    What makes you say that? The Lib Dems always underperform at Euro-elections cf locals / GEs, London is a relatively weak area for them anyway, and 11-12% is only marginally down on their London score in 2009 (13.7%), whereas Lib Dem support nationally is about half what it was in 2009 going be GE VI. The only thing I can see going for the LDs in London this year is that there are local elections on the same day.

Personally, I would be very surprised if the Lib Dems win more than two seats. SE is likely but SW isn't nailed on given the relatively few seats available, nor is London for the reasons I've already mentioned. Zero is certainly possible.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes they are

Have £28.57 @5/2 2 seats

Hey Presto!

True but that is 1 guaranteed losing bet . I may consider backing 3 or more to a stake with Ladbrokes which could give me two winning bets or recover my stakes if I am wrong and it is only 2 not 3 .
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@Isam

What happened to the 'PB Legend' Tim we hear so much about - or is he actually SeanT??

I dont know... maybe he is still among us... cant imagine someone with so much to say would be able to resist....

To be honest, when people post under false names, or come back as old poster under new names without acknowledging it, it makes it all a bit confusing.

Always proud to say what I think using (nearly) my own name!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

Maybe they think the rules don't apply to them?
    I consistently forecast around Xmas this year until recently, but as I posted recently I've listened to wiser counsels here and now go for just before the General Election.

Why should the Euros make any difference? Whether good bad or indifferent for either partner?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    BobaFett said:

@Isam

Probably decided to get help for his severe issues.
  • Options
    O/T:

"Liberal MP Sir Cyril Smith was part of a high-level paedophile ring operating at Westminster in the 1970s, a Labour MP has claimed.

Simon Danzcuk alleges in a new book Sir Cyril used his influence to escape prosecution for sexually abusing boys."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27047442
  • Options
    Interesting how moustaches are completely out of fashion at the moment, but beards, stubble, and being clean shaven are popular:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27023992
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes they are

Have £28.57 @5/2 2 seats

Hey Presto!

True but that is 1 guaranteed losing bet . I may consider backing 3 or more to a stake with Ladbrokes which could give me two winning bets or recover my stakes if I am wrong and it is only 2 not 3 .
    Yeah fair enough with the backing 3+ scenario as the jackpot and no harm done if the result is 2

I wouldn't be put off backing 1.97 2+ just because one bet is certain to lose.. makes no difference, its still the same as backing over 1.5 at a better price
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    BobaFett said:

@Isam

No they used to have sessions of hurling abuse at one another. The Cheshire wine selling farmer was unique in his ability to be offensive but he did/does have a detailed knowledge of politics even if it included an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Scottish independence debate moves to the question of the Hebrides, Orkney & Shetland:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-27043974

By the way, anyone who thinks that the idea of any of these islands eventually going independent is fanciful should consider the fact that the Faroes have already once voted for independence (in 1946) and it remains a live subject for debate. Shetland must be a lot more viable as an independent state than the Faroes.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    antifrank said:

The Scottish independence debate moves to the question of the Hebrides, Orkney & Shetland:

By the way, anyone who thinks that the idea of any of these islands eventually going independent is fanciful should consider the fact that the Faroes have already once voted for independence (in 1946) and it remains a live subject for debate. Shetland must be a lot more viable as an independent state than the Faroes.

How much of the oil belongs to Shetland?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Some of their politicians who have no particular liking at the thought of being run from Edinburgh in an Independent Scotland are actively looking at the model of the Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Would be rather ironic if Scotland votes for Independence and then the Northern and Western Isles opt out and go it alone taking all the oil and gas fields with them.
  • Options
    Scotsman @TheScotsman
    Sir Alex Ferguson is to sell a part of his wine collection, which is expected to fetch at least £3m bit.ly/1eyDN6E

Well that's the Labour Party's election fund taken care of then.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@Isam

No they used to have sessions of hurling abuse at one another. The Cheshire wine selling farmer was unique in his ability to be offensive but he did/does have a detailed knowledge of politics even if it included an unhealthy obsession with George Osborne.
    To be fair, he was the only leftie on here who actually admitted he wanted to ethnically cleanse London of the WWC and replace them with immigrants
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes they are

Have £28.57 @5/2 2 seats

Hey Presto!

I've backed NOM and backed Labour Majority instead of laying Conservative Majority at the next general election. I suppose you lose some liquidity but I've done it for the improvement in odds as its not a position I'll be exiting from - the CON seat bets proxy that at better odds again.

Anyway best of luck with 3+ bet, swimming against the tide can be profitable in betting.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Isam

To be fair, he was the only leftie on here who actually admitted he wanted to ethnically cleanse London of the WWC and replace them with immigrants
    It wasn't just London.

Anyhow, I'm sure he's having a lovely time breeding cats with Plato.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Yes they are

Have £28.57 @5/2 2 seats

Hey Presto!

I've backed NOM and backed Labour Majority instead of laying Conservative Majority at the next general election. I suppose you lose some liquidity but I've done it for the improvement in odds as its not a position I'll be exiting from - the CON seat bets proxy that at better odds again.
    That, as I shall be showing in the next couple of days, is a bit of a myth.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

isam said:

BobaFett said:

@Isam

It wasn't just London.

Anyhow, I'm sure he's having a lovely time breeding cats with Plato.
    So, tim's inseminating Plato's pussy?

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    antifrank said:

The erzatz Norseman seems to have got his messages a wee bit mixed up.

'The Orkney and Shetland MP said government from Edinburgh had been "just as bad and just as dangerous" for the islands "as it is from London."'

London rule 'bad' and 'dangerous'? Okeedokee.
  • Options
    Are Buzzfeed/YouGov polls reliable?

"Just 36% of the 2,076 people questioned in the BuzzFeed/YouGov poll correctly guessed that Nigel Farage went to private school, despite him happily talking about his time at London’s prestigious Dulwich College on many previous occasions.

This falls even lower among people who say they will vote UKIP at the next general election: just 31% of potential UKIP voters believe Farage was privately educated, with 38% saying he went to a grammar school and 25% believing he went to a comprehensive.

An impressive 77% of UKIP supporters say Farage is in touch with normal people.

This compares to just 37% of likely Conservative voters who feel David Cameron understands the concerns of a typical member of the public."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/nigel-farage-has-successfully-convinced-the-public-that-hes
  • Options
    @Antifrank My biggest seat bet is 3-1 Kingswood CON at 3-1 - As recommended by yourself !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Antifrank My biggest seat bet is 3-1 Kingswood CON at 3-1 - As recommended by yourself !

I shall be putting more Conservative betting tips up tomorrow morning.

I have to say, the physical process of writing blog entries, even when you have source material directly at hand and you don't need to spend too much time constructing an argument, takes a lot more time than you'd imagine. I have no idea how our host manages to put two posts a day up all year round.
  • Options
    OK. The Lib Dems best chances are in the South East (10 members), London (8), North West (8), and South West (6).

Because of the nature of the d'Hondt system, you can reasonably assume that you need a little bit less than 1/number of seats. If the LibDems get 7 or 8%, for example, in the South East region, then they will almost certainly get a seat. In 2009, they got 14% and two seats. If we assume that LibDem support has roughly halved from that point (which is possibly a bit pessimistic, given that is pre-Cleggasm), then they should get one.

But this is a probability, not a certainty. A lot depends on how others to. It's possible that the Libs could get 7% and lose out. It's possible they could get just 6% (in which case they would probably not get a seat). However, the probability that the Libs get a seat is probably 70%. Hence, my view that 5-1 is a good price for zero seats, but 3-1 probably isn't.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

That looks more like the maximum, though it's got a fair chance of happening. The South-East may actually be the best shot given the 10 seats. Are the Greens expecting to retain their seats in the South-East & London? They could be competing with the LDs for the final seat in each case.

My very rough spreadsheet, not taking into account others beyond the big 4 and the Nats - so perhaps missing the Green effect - has the LDs getting the 9th seat out of 10 in SE, the 8th seat out of 8 in London and the "7th" seat out of 6 in the SW (and the 11th out of 8 in the NW).

But that's based on a LD share of only 8% or thereabouts.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK. The Lib Dems best chances are in the South East (10 members), London (8), North West (8), and South West (6).

Because of the nature of the d'Hondt system, you can reasonably assume that you need a little bit less than 1/number of seats. If the LibDems get 7 or 8%, for example, in the South East region, then they will almost certainly get a seat. In 2009, they got 14% and two seats. If we assume that LibDem support has roughly halved from that point (which is possibly a bit pessimistic, given that is pre-Cleggasm), then they should get one.

But this is a probability, not a certainty. A lot depends on how others to. It's possible that the Libs could get 7% and lose out. It's possible they could get just 6% (in which case they would probably not get a seat). However, the probability that the Libs get a seat is probably 70%. Hence, my view that 5-1 is a good price for zero seats, but 3-1 probably isn't.

Good post.

I think the Lib Dems would struggle to be elected even in a 10 MEP region with just 7% - that'd imply a 30% wastage. It is possible but they'd need to beat the Greens, there'd need to be a sizable 'Other' vote and the numbers for the main three would still have to fall right. Something like 27/27/25/7/6.5/7.5 would work. If they finish fifth behind the Greens, it is still just mathematically possible but either the other vote shares would have to fall perfectly or there'd need to be a very large Others, and I can't see where that'd come from.

In reality, the Lib Dems ought to be looking to a minimum of 8% in the SE if they want to be reasonably confident of winning a seat. Anything below that is dicing with wipeout.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour PPC in Colne Valley has resigned for health reasons.
    www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/colne-valley-labour-candidate-binni-6996747

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    Another 'you know things aren't going well when' moment for Bettertogether. (Spelling is Scottish BNP's not mine).

'Independance `Better Together` campaign needs to be much more postive

Well said Charles Kennedy

At last, a politician comes out and say`s that the No to independence campaign needs to be more positive. Charles Kennedy the ex Lib Dem leader was speaking at Glasgow University when he called for the positive attitude within the campaign group.
    We in Scottish BNP have lamented on a number of occasions over the continued scare stories that seem to back fire each time from the No camp.
    From dockyards closing to Standard Life possibly moving, it’s been negative Nellie throughout the campaign by the Better Together group. We witnessed just the other week a selected companies day after day with scare stories over a possible Yes vote for independence.
    It became fairly apparent to any person that it was organised publicity to encourage the voting of No. Yet the response from a number of people has been that it`s big business and rich people telling us how to vote.
    Charles Kennedy is a clever man, he sits and ponders before saying something and his feelings that a negative approach from the Better Together campaign group would not resonate with voters.'

http://archive.today/Mgrrt
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Good post.

I think the Lib Dems would struggle to be elected even in a 10 MEP region with just 7% - that'd imply a 30% wastage. It is possible but they'd need to beat the Greens, there'd need to be a sizable 'Other' vote and the numbers for the main three would still have to fall right. Something like 27/27/25/7/6.5/7.5 would work. If they finish fifth behind the Greens, it is still just mathematically possible but either the other vote shares would have to fall perfectly or there'd need to be a very large Others, and I can't see where that'd come from.

In reality, the Lib Dems ought to be looking to a minimum of 8% in the SE if they want to be reasonably confident of winning a seat. Anything below that is dicing with wipeout.
    Yes: 8% is pretty much a cert in the SE. 7-7.5% would be a 50/50 shot (it was enough in 2009, it might not be now). Below 7% is pretty much toast.

If we assume a LibDem vote share nationally of 7%, then one would expect 8-9% in the SE. I think you need (probably) to see the LibDems shrink to 6% or thereabouts to lose their final SE MEP.

Which is probably better than a one-in-five shot, but it's certainly not a one-in-three shot.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If we assume a LibDem vote share nationally of 7%, then one would expect 8-9% in the SE. I think you need (probably) to see the LibDems shrink to 6% or thereabouts to lose their final SE MEP.

I've assumed they poll 1.5% ahead of national in the SE; and the tipping point is somewhere around 8% in the SE, so 6.5% nationally. This is discounting the Greens, who have the potential to sneak ahead of the LDs, but also probably not giving enough credit to other Others too - see the 12.3% result from 2009:

British National Party 4.4%
    English Democrats 2.2%
    Christian Party "Proclaiming Christ's Lordship" 1.5%
    No2EU - Yes to Democracy 0.9%
    Libertas 0.7%
    Socialist Labour Party 0.7%
    United Kingdom First 0.7%
    Jury Team 0.6%
    The Peace Party 0.4%
    The Roman Party 0.2%
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I've assumed they poll 1.5% ahead of national in the SE; and the tipping point is somewhere around 8% in the SE, so 6.5% nationally. This is discounting the Greens, who have the potential to sneak ahead of the LDs, but also probably not giving enough credit to other Others too - see the 12.3% result from 2009:

English Democrats 2.2%
    Libertas 0.7%
    Jury Team 0.6%
    The Peace Party 0.4%
    The Roman Party 0.2%
    Man, that's a brilliant selection of crazy, bonkers parties.

0.2% for the Roman Party...

What are their policies?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

English Democrats 2.2%
    Libertas 0.7%
    Jury Team 0.6%
    The Peace Party 0.4%
    The Roman Party 0.2%
    Man, that's a brilliant selection of crazy, bonkers parties.

What are their policies?
    Two chariots in every drive and two lions on the lawn
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503
    isam said:

"Just 36% of the 2,076 people questioned in the BuzzFeed/YouGov poll correctly guessed that Nigel Farage went to private school, despite him happily talking about his time at London’s prestigious Dulwich College on many previous occasions.

This falls even lower among people who say they will vote UKIP at the next general election: just 31% of potential UKIP voters believe Farage was privately educated, with 38% saying he went to a grammar school and 25% believing he went to a comprehensive.

This compares to just 37% of likely Conservative voters who feel David Cameron understands the concerns of a typical member of the public."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/nigel-farage-has-successfully-convinced-the-public-that-hes

There's a lesson there. Being privately educated - and proud of it - is not necessarily an obstacle to being a successful politician in the UK, provided you don't look, sound and act elitist with all the patronising and condescending behaviour that goes with that.
  • Options

isam said:

There's a lesson there. Being privately educated - and proud of it - is not necessarily an obstacle to being a successful politician in the UK, provided you don't look, sound and act elitist with all the patronising and condescending behaviour that goes with that.
    And if you're going to trouser a couple of million quid, don't spend it on Duck Houses or Wisteria cleaning
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What are their policies?

Their full name is "The Roman Party. Ave!" and seem to consist of a French bus driver from Reading. The basis of his policy is – “when in Rome do as the Romans do”.

What did the Roman Party ever do for us?

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Good post.

Yes: 8% is pretty much a cert in the SE. 7-7.5% would be a 50/50 shot (it was enough in 2009, it might not be now). Below 7% is pretty much toast.

Which is probably better than a one-in-five shot, but it's certainly not a one-in-three shot.
    A lot depends on the Greens and the minor parties. Last time, the parties not elected garnered over 12% between them. Will it be anywhere near that much next month?

As a rough-and-ready calculator, the share a party needs to win one seat is (100 - Vn) / (S + (Pw - 1)/2 ), where Vn is the votes for parties not winning a seat, S is the number of seats, and Pw is the number of parties winning a seat. The Greens failing to win one would bump up the wastage significantly. If they do, I reckon the Lib Dems would need something close to 8% if the minor parties gain around 5%; if not, 7% could easily be enough.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Can it get any worse for LibDems?

After Rennard and then Clegg's miscalculation regarding the debates,the Mail are leading on the Cyril Smith child abuse story.If the mud sticks on the current LibDems this could be far more damaging in public perception-comparatively Rennard is the proverbial Mother Teresa.
    A few weeks ago it was 3,last week it was 2.Today it's 1.5.

If the Cyril Smith story really start to stick,it's zero.Laddies have spotted the trend so have 1 as the 7-4 gives them plenty of cover.

Over the years I have learned never to under-estimate the resilience of the Libs but I think this is the the worst state I have ever seen them in.With a further hammering in the local elections to come what will be left in the wreckage?

• Options
    The Christian Party, Proclaiming Christs Lordship
    The only party who's manifesto is detailed in the party name?

I have a theory that on Judgement Day all the Christians will be cast out of heaven for being ridiculously needy.
  • Options

Can it get any worse for LibDems?

After Rennard and then Clegg's miscalculation regarding the debates,the Mail are leading on the Cyril Smith child abuse story.If the mud sticks on the current LibDems this could be far more damaging in public perception-comparatively Rennard is the proverbial Mother Teresa.
    A few weeks ago it was 3,last week it was 2.Today it's 1.5.

If the Cyril Smith story really start to stick,it's zero.Laddies have spotted the trend so have 1 as the 7-4 gives them plenty of cover.

Over the years I have learned never to under-estimate the resilience of the Libs but I think this is the the worst state I have ever seen them in.With a further hammering in the local elections to come what will be left in the wreckage?

They're having a Rinka of a Stinker at the moment. Their problem is that their Raison d'être has gone.
    Abandoning Liberalism for the charms of the SDP was practical in so far as it created a powerful protest party. Now they govern, cannot be used as a protest and are no longer the Liberal Party of old that had solid pockets of support. UKIP are the new Alliance, the Lib Dems are finished as a twenty seat party by 2020. IN my opinion!!
  • Options
    For interest , the regional sub samples in recent polls would show the Lib Dems retaining the following seats

Yougov/ST SW/SE/London
    Yougov/Sun SW/SE/London/Scotland
    Populus SE/London/SW/NW
    TNS/BMRB Scotland/SW/SE/London
    ICM SE/London
    Survation NW/W Midlands/E Midlands

Clearly Survation had very odd regional sub samples
  • Options

isam said:

And if you're going to trouser a couple of million quid, don't spend it on Duck Houses or Wisteria cleaning
    Spend it funding the cause you quit a top job for to enter politics in the first place and you're good as gold!

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

isam said:

How can you say that's the lesson when the poll shows people not realising he was privately educated?

Shows nothing about whether private education is stigmatised etc.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Spend it funding the cause you quit a top job for to enter politics in the first place and you're good as gold!

Isam, you're trying too hard on the Farage thing.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Just making sure everyone is aware of the difference between claiming expenses to do up the house and spending an allowance on a worthwhile cause... people are still confusing the two
  • Options
    TNS tables up:

http://www.tnsglobal.com/sites/default/files/whitepaper/TNSUK_SOM_DataTables2014Apr16.pdf

On the referendum question - no lead:
    M: +8
    F: +16

By 2011 vote:
    Con: +75
    Lab: +43
    LibD: +38
    SNP: -37
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Just making sure everyone is aware of the difference between claiming expenses to do up the house and spending an allowance on a worthwhile cause... people are still confusing the two
    What you're obscuring is that an allowance, while not requiring receipts etc, is not given with carte blanche to spend it on anything you like

What's more, the average person has a far dimmer view of funding political parties than you. Indeed when the various possible models of party funding were getting kicked around (again) a year or so ago the principle of state funding being used to support political parties was roundly dismissed as being too unpopular with the public to put forward.
  • Options

TNS tables up:

http://www.tnsglobal.com/sites/default/files/whitepaper/TNSUK_SOM_DataTables2014Apr16.pdf

By 2011 vote:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

also

Only segment with a YES lead is D/E ...

Stunning.
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Has Farage published accounts to confirm that?

He must have receipts for the 'banks of computers' whirring away in Bognor.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

What you're obscuring is that an allowance, while not requiring receipts etc, is not given with carte blanche to spend it on anything you like

What's more, the average person has a far dimmer view of funding political parties than you. Indeed when the various possible models of party funding were getting kicked around (again) a year or so ago the principle of state funding being used to support political parties was roundly dismissed as being too unpopular with the public to put forward.
    Farage has never hid that he bends the rules on how he spends his EU allowance, and people voting UKIP because they want out of the EU don't care.

If they did, they wouldn't vote for, or say they were going to vote for, UKIP.

The polling on Farage tells you what the average persons view of him is.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Seems fairly self explanatory to me - an MPs secondary home allowance used for repairs to their second home = bad. - Siphoning off Expenses/Allowance for purposes other than genuine costs incurred to fulfill job = good. - we get it..!
  • Options

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Don't know.. but face facts, this story hasn't resonated in the way you hoped..
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    TGOHF said:

TNS tables up:

By 2011 vote:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

also

Stunning.
    You're embarrassing yourself again with your lack of 'on the ground' knowledge. Oh yes! Or maybe Pork and his chums only bump into the D/E crowd when they're signing on.

Also, pandas.
  • Options

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Seems fairly self explanatory to me - an MPs secondary home allowance used for repairs to their second home = bad. - Siphoning off Expenses/Allowance for purposes other than genuine costs incurred to fulfill job = good. - we get it..!
    Haha you've mixed up allowance and expenses there I think

Here you go, have a read of this

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100267778/if-nigel-farages-expenses-bother-you-vote-to-leave-the-eu/
  • Options
    For those sceptics who missed Balls commanding performance car crash on WATO, here's the transcript:

Ed Balls was on BBC Radio 4’s World At One today, showing just how thin, defensive and selective Labour’s economic message is. Here’s the transcript:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/04/16/defensive-much/
  • Options
    Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

TNS tables up:

By 2011 vote:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

also

Stunning.
    You're embarrassing yourself again with your lack of 'on the ground' knowledge. Oh yes! Or maybe Pork and his chums only bump into the D/E crowd when they're signing on.

Also, pandas.

Does Eck have a problem with old female pandas ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

TNS tables up:

By 2011 vote:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

also

Stunning.

Also, pandas.

Does Eck have a problem with old female pandas ?
    Not if they used to be his boss.
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Farage has never hid that he bends the rules on how he spends his EU allowance, and people voting UKIP because they want out of the EU don't care.

If they did, they wouldn't vote for, or say they were going to vote for, UKIP.

The polling on Farage tells you what the average persons view of him is.

He may not have hidden it, but I'd reckon a tiny number of people were following closely enough to be aware of it. (Apparently he also hasn't been declaring the property to the Electoral commission either, which is a lot less flashy but still worth a ticking off for someone).

The polling on Farage tells you that people don't know he went to private school, so he's not a useful study of whether there's a stigma attached to it or not (on a general note his leadership response ratings show he's better known than he was but still lower than the other 3).
  • Options
    Anorak said:

TGOHF said:

TNS tables up:

By 2011 vote:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

also

Stunning.

Also, pandas.
    Then there's GOTV and of course likelihood to Vote where Yes have a commanding lead

Certain to Vote:
    Yes: 84
    No: 83

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Women 55+

Yes 22 %
    No 53 %

Younger voters should have their vote count for more, as they will have to live under the new arrangements for longer. Is there still time for the SNP to propose this?
  • Options
    I see the massive Farage story our Tory friends were pinning their hopes on has fizzled out.
    Falkirk, Ashcroft, Farage, Rennard.

Now every party has it's own PBgasm.
  • Options
    The demographics on that TNS poll are striking:

No lead:
    AB: +28
    C1: +19
    C2: +10
    DE: -4
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Don't know.. but face facts, this story hasn't resonated in the way you hoped..
    Facts? That's what I'm trying to get you to clarify.

You're consistently telling us that Farage spends the allowances solely on the cause, yet are unable to provide any proof to back that claim up.

Blind faith.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The demographics on that TNS poll are striking:

No lead:
    AB: +28
    C1: +19
    C2: +10
    DE: -4

Correct me if I'm wrong here - but that seems to mean the more successful you are the more likely you are to vote NO. If one notes that intelligence strongly correlates with how successful you are in life, there seems to be an obvious conclusion to draw about your average cybernat.

This explains an awful lot.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

isam said:

Haha you've mixed up allowance and expenses there I think.

snip
    It was an experiment in spontaneous combustion – you past the test young jedi..! ; )

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    I just wonder... what would all those on the left who criticize the Governments economic policy being say now, if Labour has won the last election.and exactly the same economic position existed. No doubt they would be claiming whoever the Labour chancellor was to be a genius.
This discussion has been closed.