Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we reaching a tipping point for Nick Clegg’s leadership

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we reaching a tipping point for Nick Clegg’s leadership?

One of the constants in this parliament is each May, in the local elections, the Lib Dems lose a significant number of councillors and the Lib Dems insouciance to it all. With other parties, it may have triggered speculation about the Leader/a Leadership election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    maybe
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Who cares a tinkers?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2014
    rcs1000 said:

maybe

That fence will give you a nasty splinter if you're not careful.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,048
    edited April 2014
    Vince Cable as DPM would create an interesting situation. Trouble with Nick Clegg is that he's an unlucky general, and he's run out of time for that luck to change.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,004
    Lib Dems and their relative strength affecting the Conservatives is a curious thing. Lots of marginals in the south-west, but weak yellows nationwide could see lots of leftist tactical vote-swapping.

One does wonder if Clegg will experience a political decline as precipitous as that of Crassus at Carrhae.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    'next Leader will be someone who is perceived to be the left of Nick Clegg.'

Well that narrows it down, - who other the Danny Alexander (possibly) amongst senior LDs is not perceived as being to the left of Clegg ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    I hadn't spotted just how bad were Lib Dem poll ratings (an average of 9% ) until recently. I still think they'll finish ahead of UKIP on the day, though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @rosschawkins: Euro Parl tells me MEPs can't use allowances for campaigning. If trips to constituencies involve work for the EP, then that's allowed
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,004
    Mr. F, maybe. Some UKIP sorts may return to the blues against Miliband. I wonder if the socially conservative WWC will go back to Labour, though.

D'you reckon UKIP will win any seats?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    NO!

Enough already. Jeez an AV/STV thread is looking attractive right now.

Nick Clegg is the leader of a party which was home of NOTA and pandered to this constituency by proposing a set of wholly unworkable not to say politically naive yet public opinionally savvy policies.

And then they only went and got elected as many Lab-ers found themselves sick to death of Lab especially warmonger Blair and bonkers Brown and voted LD.

And, so they ended up as junior (note: JUNIOR) member of a Con-LD coalition as they had indicated they would, given that the Cons were the largest party at GE2010.

They then fought and won and fought and lost on several of their own policies some of which, unfortunately for them, were totemic. They also managed to enforce their own red lines on some Cons policies but generally did a not too bad job of being that junior coalition member.

And above all, and for the first time in years and years, they were a party of government. And they have been excoriated by their supporters ever since. Supporters who wilfully or idiotically or a combination of both, refuse to see the reality in front of them (cf. Tory backbenchers).

Did I miss anything?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Young LDs vote for old dopes.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2014

Lib Dems and their relative strength affecting the Conservatives is a curious thing. Lots of marginals in the south-west, but weak yellows nationwide could see lots of leftist tactical vote-swapping.

I think you've got that upside down. It's the Conservatives relative strength that affects LD chances. If the Conservatives decline from their 2010 support, LDs may hang on, if they don't, LDs lose.

Yesterday's London YouGov showed no change in Conservative support since the 2010 general election.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/n4ojuqo0a6/YG-Archive-140411-Eveningstandard-London.pdf
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Whoops they got it wrong again. Blundering Times journalists fail to smear UKIP
    The last effort by the Times to get UKIP into trouble with the European parliamentary authorities has just collapsed ignominiously.

Early last month the Lib Dem MEP Edward McMillan-Scott put in a complaint about UKIP’s use of allowances after a series of reports by Times journalists Rachel Sylvester and Alice Thomson.

But yesterday the inquiry was thrown out by a European Parliament bureau meeting that found there was no matter requiring further investigation following Mr McMillan-Scott’s complaint.

A UKIP spokesman said: “You would struggle to believe that they once called the Times the Thunderer. These days it is much more often the Blunderer.”
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Seems to be everyone is calling for Clegg to go - apart from the LDs.

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    TOPPING said:

(snip ...)

Did I miss anything?

No, I think that about sums it up...

• Options

I think you've got that upside down. It's the Conservatives relative strength that affects LD chances. If the Conservatives decline from their 2010 support, LDs may hang on, if they don't, LDs lose.

Yesterday's London YouGov showed no change in Conservative support since the 2010 general election.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/n4ojuqo0a6/YG-Archive-140411-Eveningstandard-London.pdf
    Interesting that class is almost no predictor at all of voting intention. Age and gender, however, are. And poor OGH's comments column is full of grumpy old men...

• Options
    Sean_F said:

I hadn't spotted just how bad were Lib Dem poll ratings (an average of 9% ) until recently. I still think they'll finish ahead of UKIP on the day, though.

Nothing the LDs have tried to date has improved their numbers. Why would that change?

• Options
    "A more left leaning Lib Dem leader such as Tim Farron or Vince Cable maybe the way to get those 2010 Lib Dems switchers to Labour back, as the block of the electorate is currently of one of the two biggest obstacles to David Cameron remaining in Downing Street post May 2015."

Its not just that a change in LD leader/strategy might poach statist voters from Labour, they might also repel conservative-leaning voters from current-LD.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited April 2014
    TOPPING said:

Did I miss anything?

Only that it's 'The Tories [who] only ever panic in a crisis'.....

• Options

Sean_F said:

Nothing the LDs have tried to date has improved their numbers. Why would that change?

You could make the case that - as a member of government - they will be the recipient of Rod Crosby 'swingback' as the election approaches.

But the evidence for this is scant, currently.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

maybe

That fence will give you a nasty splinter if you're not careful.
    As my dear great-uncle once wrote*

He kept an open mind so long
    That everything fell out
    And true and false
    And right and wrong
    Were scrambled into doubt

* as I recall, the poem was called 'An Ode to a Liberal Lord'
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2014
    Clegg is toxic.

It's hardly new but it is amazing just how long it takes for some people to grasp the obvious.

Perhaps the most hilarious recent example of just how out of touch Clegg and his ostrich faction of incompetent spinners are was when they actually tried to blame Clegg's excerable debate performances on Farage "telling the voters what they wanted to hear".

LOL

Priceless stuff.
    Almost as amusing as this.

James Ross ‏@fki01 2h

"Clegg insisted that he wants to lead the Lib Dems until at least 2020". Got to admire the optimism. In the use of the plural in "Lib Dems".

Which brings us to the crux of the matter. As funny as that is Clegg is still pretty clearly daring any leadership contenders to speak out with that kind of ostrich thinking after his calamitous debate stupidity. The one thing Clegg has going for him is that he's probably right and most of the lib dem leadership candidates simply don't have the balls or the stomach to challenge him. Huhne would not hesitate but Huhne is done in front line politics.

The lib dem leadership hopefuls are all David Miliband clutching their yellow banana terrified to make a move lest it backfire on them or they rapidly end up a toxic coalition sh*t magnet like Clegg is.

So Clegg can stay in his bubble and comfortably ignore any whispers or grumbling. There needs to be a serious and concerted effort to get rid of Clegg for it to happen. Vague noises of unhappiness just aren't going to cut it. Unless somebody with some real clout breaks ranks and flat out says Clegg must go it's going to be ostrich thinking and hope for the best from Clegg all the way to election day in 2015.
  • Options

Well that narrows it down, - who other the Danny Alexander (possibly) amongst senior LDs is not perceived as being to the left of Clegg ?

Jeremy Browne?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

It's hardly new but it is amazing just how long it takes for some people to grasp the obvious.

So why are no LDs in parly calling for him to go ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    @Mick_Pork

I can't deny it, whenever I see the words "ostrich faction" I burst out laughing. Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I want him to stay.
    TGOHF said:

Seems to be everyone is calling for Clegg to go - apart from the LDs.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    @rcs1000

I agree we need to build more housing. But the idea that we concrete over every unspoilt view in the South East of England, so that we can continue to import millions more people, is absurd. To be honest, your fundamental premise that our goal should be minimizing market distortions, rather than maximising the well-being of British citizens, is fatally flawed.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

Well A/ Most of them were all bought off long ago with junior ministerial jops and 'perks' (which still angers tory MPs because they lost out on so many of them,)

And B/ Go and replace him with who? The Blairites didn't have the balls to topple Brown for the same reason. No clear replacement and nobody wiling to challenge him head on. Like I said the lib dems leadership candidates are David Miliband clutching their yellow banana terrified to make a move in case it backfires on them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Jeremy Browne?
    Browne and Laws certainly. Possibly Davey and Lamb? Those two are hard to pin down which is no doubt an advantage in such a contest. ;)
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@rcs1000

I agree we need to build more housing. But the idea that we concrete over every unspoilt view in the South East of England, so that we can continue to import millions more people, is absurd. To be honest, your fundamental premise that our goal should be minimizing market distortions, rather than maximising the well-being of British citizens, is fatally flawed.

Minimizing market distortions allows people to decide where and how they want to live.

That is my goal.

I believe that in the long-run, that benefits more people - whether British or otherwise - than putting up barriers based solely on the accident of where they happened to be born.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

Well A/ Most of them were all bought off long ago with junior ministerial jops and 'perks' (which still angers tory MPs because they lost out on so many of them,)

And B/ Go and replace him with who? The Blairites didn't have the balls to topple Brown for the same reason. No clear replacement and nobody wiling to challenge him head on. Like I said the lib dems leadership candidates are David Miliband clutching their yellow banana terrified to make a move in case it backfires on them.
    Next question is how bad do the Euro results have to be to change this status quo ? 5th behind the Greens ?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Mick_Pork said:

Charles said:

Jeremy Browne?
    Browne and Laws certainly. Possibly Davey and Lamb? Those two are hard to pin down which is no doubt an advantage in such a contest. ;)
    Norman Lamb is the 'clean,pair of hands' candidate for a post 2015 rump party.
    If he hangs on in North Norfolk (he will)
  • Options
    Having said that, North Norfolk does smell like Harrogate and Knaresborough when the wind comes In From the North.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The Lib Dems lost in North Norfolk in the local elections last year.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

Next question is how bad do the Euro results have to be to change this status quo ? 5th behind the Greens ?
    I don't think it much matters.

This year is the last round of local elections to face the post 2010 election cull. After those losses are attributed to Mr Clegg, a new leader could hope to point to improved local election results in 2015, and blame any Westminster losses on Mr Clegg.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Interesting that class is almost no predictor at all of voting intention. Age and gender, however, are. And poor OGH's comments column is full of grumpy old men...

You're right about the grumpy old men but remember they have a much greater propensity to actually turn out to vote than any other societal group - lol maybe that "they" should be a "we":)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

Farron joined in lowering the expectations by saying there was a danger the lib dems could get no Euro MEPs. He didn't say if we get no Euro MEPs there will be trouble for Clegg, he just parroted the official line that there was a danger of it happening to lower expectations. Doesn't sound to me like Farron is preparing the ground but we'll see soon enough. If nobody makes a move after May then all the Clegg loyalists need to say is it's too late now and a contest would be hugely disruptive as they entered the election campaign.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The Lib Dems lost in North Norfolk in the local elections last year.
    Yes they did, however at GE level, the Tories are beached in the low thirties there, UKIP and Labour are coming from no level of support of any note. It would take a big swing to UKIP from Lib Dem for it to fall to the Tories, far too big for UKIP themselves to capitalise. Forget Labour, we hate them in the county, only city idiots vote red here.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    The list of Times journalists out to get UKIP and their Tory connections

http://www.ukip.org/who_are_the_times_journalists_trying_so_desperately_to_undermine_ukip
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    isam said:

http://www.ukip.org/who_are_the_times_journalists_trying_so_desperately_to_undermine_ukip

Love it. UKIP whining about those from 'immensely privileged backgrounds'.

What, like Nigel Farage?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

Love it. UKIP whining about those from 'immensely privileged backgrounds'.

What, like Nigel Farage?
    The difference being that Farage doesn't surround himself with privately educated people exactly like himself... geddit?

Shame that story was a dud isn't it? The bloke the Times quoted has written them a letter complaining of being misquoted, I believe?

Oh well
  • Options
    isam said:

The first criticism of each journalist seems to be "privately educated", which is a criticism that can be leveled at both Nigel Farage and a large number of UKIPpers...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The first criticism of each journalist seems to be "privately educated", which is a criticism that can be leveled at both Nigel Farage and a large number of UKIPpers...
    As I said below, the point is that Farage doesn't surround himself solely with people that went to his, or any other, private school.

That's the difference, and that's what Cam gets stick for
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The party treasurer lives in a Jacobean castle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilham_Castle

Attacking wealth is a very strange line for a party lead by those of privilege and good fortune.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Attacking wealth is a very strange line for a party lead by those of privilege and good fortune.

No no

You've missed the point

The attack is on the similarity between Cameron and his people employed to do a job on Farage
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @hugorifkind: Hey @UKIP! Deeply flattered to have made your list of enemies, but would you mind making my entry a little longer? http://t.co/FbxaoPKjOg

@hugorifkind: .@UKIP If it helps, I'm the guy who wrote that your boss "has a face that men who work in Turkish takeaways must try to recreate for a bet".

@Dannythefink: @hugorifkind @UKIP Mine is best I think, though Alice's "the wife of the nephew of" is funniest.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    UKIP vs The Times....

Twitter
    Hey @UKIP! Deeply flattered to have made your list of enemies, but would you mind making my entry a little longer? http://www.ukip.org/who_are_the_times_journalists_trying_so_desperately_to_undermine_ukip

Daniel Finkelstein ‏@Dannythefink 2m
    @hugorifkind @UKIP Mine is best I think, though Alice's "the wife of the nephew of" is funniest.

Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 7m
    @oflynndirector there's a lot of class war in that post - where btw did Mr Farage go to school?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@hugorifkind: Hey @UKIP! Deeply flattered to have made your list of enemies, but would you mind making my entry a little longer? http://t.co/FbxaoPKjOg

@hugorifkind: .@UKIP If it helps, I'm the guy who wrote that your boss "has a face that men who work in Turkish takeaways must try to recreate for a bet".

@Dannythefink: @hugorifkind @UKIP Mine is best I think, though Alice's "the wife of the nephew of" is funniest.

Shame about that story being a dud eh Scott?

Want to bet on the debate appearance or still running scared?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I can see Nige booking himself in with our Tone for some glottalstop lessons.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

The attack is on the similarity between Cameron and his people employed to do a job on Farage
    Those posh people - how dare they have the temerity to work in the free press.

This sort of thing must be stamped out.
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

When you have to explain it, it's a dud.

Someone at UKIP has messed up with this.

• Options
    The Tories were so excited, they thought they'd got their man.. maybe went to bed dreaming of a majority...

and then...

“Mr Kenber and Mr Mostrous,

Re: Nigel Farage and office costs

"I am extremely concerned that in your report you have distorted my responses to your questions regarding the Lyminster office costs.

"On the front page you quote me as stating that the costs were £3000 per year. This is grossly incorrect. I told you that the previous manager had tied the office into some supply contracts and as a result the monthly costs were some £2000. I told you several times that I eventually reduced the costs to £700 per month. When I went to school we were taught the times tables and that £700 times 12 equals £8400 (which is not too far removed from Mr Farage’s £1000 per month) so where on earth did you come up with a figure of £3000?

"At no time did I say that “electricity, heating, and business rates at the office totalled less than £250 a month”. I told you that I could not remember the individual amounts as it was over four years ago but they would have been in the region of £200 each.

"Later, you then contradict yourselves by quoting me as saying that the costs were £700 per month - which is correct. You asked me a number of times about the £700/month figure which I confirmed several times; again I have to ask how does £700 per month equate to £3000 per year? I should also point out that our conversations were witnessed.

"To the best of knowledge and belief I was completely honest in my answers and resent the fact that those answers have been completely distorted. I did warn you that there is a small minority who are 'mischief makers' – one in particular who would go to any lengths to destroy Mr Farage’s reputation.

"I expect you to publish corrections as outlined above.

David Samuel-Camps BA (Hons) Dip. PA"

http://www.ukip.org/times_story_falls_apart_as_key_source_reveals_his_responses_were_distorted_by_the_paper
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    On topic 'Are we reaching a tipping point for Nick Clegg’s leadership?'

Yes, as can be seen by the now less than subtle positioning of some Libdem Leader hopefuls recently. The question is, will there be a panicked move to push Clegg out early, or will those that wield the power within the party simple wait and let him fall on his sword after the next GE?
  • Options

Mick_Pork said:

Charles said:

Jeremy Browne?
    Maybe, but TBH he seems far more of John Major type candidate who would greatly benefit from a split vote. He'd likely be seen as boring but perhaps safe and prevent the lib dems splitting too acrimoniously into a continuity Clegg faction and the more left leaning members.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

"between Cameron and his people employed to do a job on Farage"

Care to give us evidence of that link?

It's a rather pathetic attack, especially coming from a UKIP that harks back to grammar schools, the old school tie and train liveries.
  • Options

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

It's a rather pathetic attack, especially coming from a UKIP that harks back to grammar schools, the old school tie and train liveries.
    I feel your pain... you must been aching for this story to be true
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,566
    edited April 2014
    The afternoon thread was so nearly about Farage's expenses.

As someone who was privately educated, Would I have made UKIP hit list?
  • Options
    re Clegg: All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Good job you didn't publish it as it would already been out of date!

Are you one of a group of people with an incredibly similar background that have been employed by David Cameron? If the answer is no, then you wouldn't have been targeted
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @isam

Did you see Farage on SKY?

Apparently his tiny office has banks of computers & communication equipment and manages to consume £3,000 a year in electricity,triple the average household bill.
  • Options
    isam said:

Are you one of a group of people with an incredibly similar background that have been employed by David Cameron? If the answer is no, then you wouldn't have been targeted
    Well I have been called a posh boy aristo in the past.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Clegg is toxic.

Farron joined in lowering the expectations by saying there was a danger the lib dems could get no Euro MEPs. He didn't say if we get no Euro MEPs there will be trouble for Clegg, he just parroted the official line that there was a danger of it happening to lower expectations. Doesn't sound to me like Farron is preparing the ground but we'll see soon enough. If nobody makes a move after May then all the Clegg loyalists need to say is it's too late now and a contest would be hugely disruptive as they entered the election campaign.
    I don't see the upside in anyone moving just after the Euros.

They won't get to steal a march, because any other serious contender will also be included if it turns into a real contest, and the electorate is small enough that they will have a good view on the candidates.

And there is a risk that they will be blamed for bad results - either generally, or because of the "disruption" of a leadership contest

So why not prepare the ground, set out the intellectual underpinning for your differentiated vision, be loyal enough but not too loyal and bide your time?
  • Options
    Mr Hannan explains MEP expense system.

"I can predict one thing with certainty about l'affaire Farage: OLAF, the EU's anti-fraud office, will not find against the Ukip leader. This is because the sum in question is an allowance, not a claim. It is handed over unconditionally, with no requirement for receipts. Much of the row of the past 24 hours is based on a misunderstanding of this point

When one of my British colleagues found himself with a slight surplus, and asked how to return it, he was told it couldn't be done. "

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100267778/if-nigel-farages-expenses-bother-you-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

• Options
    isam said:

You need better lines than this.

Luckily the sage of our times Dan Hodges has tabled the truth of the issue ;)

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m
    Ukip's response to the Time's report on Nigel Farage is exactly how the BNP used to respond to scrutiny of Griffin
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    Reg. liberal democrats and their future...

As I wrote yesterday, we are probably witnessing another decline of a liberal party; historically, it is quite common.

Any movement to the left is not workable, a lot of the social democrats have left the party and been replaced by younger and far more liberal minded members. I do think a lib-lab coalition might prove to be awkward and not as compatible as current con-lib. Clegg has pretty much cleared out all attachments to social democracy within the party.

The Liberal Democrats are essentially a centre right party under Clegg; Tory-lite, if you will. The leadership refer to the Social Liberal Forum as the 'socialist liberal forum' and Tim Farron is certainly *not* popular with senior figures within the party, nor is Vince - seen as too arrogant. Clegg's inner circle do not want the party moving leftwards post-Nick, believe it would be a disaster.

Ed Davey and Jo Swinson are seen as possible unity candidates. Jenny Willott is the dark horse and Jeremy Browne has no hope in hell winning over the grassroots.

As for the internals of the party: Federal Executive, Party President, Cabinet members, grassroots are all heavily divided; the splits are more idealogical and not just along right/left lines.

Like the Whigs and Liberal Party, LD's are probably going to split post 2015.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@isam

Apparently his tiny office has banks of computers & communication equipment and manages to consume £3,000 a year in electricity,triple the average household bill.

I didn't see it, but it the average household electricity bill is £1000 a year then I am being ripped off!
  • Options
    France
    "Marine Le Pen’s Front National leads the latest IFOP poll for the European elections next month at 24pc.

Her platform calls for immediate steps to ditch the euro ... and to hold a referendum on withdrawal from the EU."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027046/france-is-the-new-cauldron-of-eurosceptic-revolution/
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Tory and UKIP in-fighting.

Can't they both lose?
  • Options
    Clearly one of the threads tomorrow is going to have to be about Farage's expenses.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Clearly one of the threads tomorrow is going to have to be about Farage's expenses.

Allowances, posh boy.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

Nope, I didn't particularly want the story to be true; try to find a post from me that indicates that I did (hint: look at the previous thread).

And I stand by what I said: it is a pathetic attack line by UKIP.

• Options
    isam said:

john_zims said:

@isam

I didn't see it, but it the average household electricity bill is £1000 a year then I am being ripped off!
    I thought he did it all on the back of a fag packet and a wet beermat!
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
  • Options
    isam said:

The Tories were so excited, they thought they'd got their man.. maybe went to bed dreaming of a majority...

and then...

"I am extremely concerned that in your report you have distorted my responses to your questions regarding the Lyminster office costs.

"On the front page you quote me as stating that the costs were £3000 per year. This is grossly incorrect. I told you that the previous manager had tied the office into some supply contracts and as a result the monthly costs were some £2000. I told you several times that I eventually reduced the costs to £700 per month. When I went to school we were taught the times tables and that £700 times 12 equals £8400 (which is not too far removed from Mr Farage’s £1000 per month) so where on earth did you come up with a figure of £3000?

"At no time did I say that “electricity, heating, and business rates at the office totalled less than £250 a month”. I told you that I could not remember the individual amounts as it was over four years ago but they would have been in the region of £200 each.

"Later, you then contradict yourselves by quoting me as saying that the costs were £700 per month - which is correct. You asked me a number of times about the £700/month figure which I confirmed several times; again I have to ask how does £700 per month equate to £3000 per year? I should also point out that our conversations were witnessed.

"To the best of knowledge and belief I was completely honest in my answers and resent the fact that those answers have been completely distorted. I did warn you that there is a small minority who are 'mischief makers' – one in particular who would go to any lengths to destroy Mr Farage’s reputation.

http://www.ukip.org/times_story_falls_apart_as_key_source_reveals_his_responses_were_distorted_by_the_paper

I don't know anyone who feels the need to include their undergraduate degree after their name. Even in a letter to the Times.

What's a Dip. P.A.? I assume it's a Diploma in something or other?
  • Options

Mr Hannan explains MEP expense system.

"I can predict one thing with certainty about l'affaire Farage: OLAF, the EU's anti-fraud office, will not find against the Ukip leader. This is because the sum in question is an allowance, not a claim. It is handed over unconditionally, with no requirement for receipts. Much of the row of the past 24 hours is based on a misunderstanding of this point

When one of my British colleagues found himself with a slight surplus, and asked how to return it, he was told it couldn't be done. "

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100267778/if-nigel-farages-expenses-bother-you-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

Brilliant!
  • Options

Allowances, posh boy.

I'm so going to embed this video into that thread header

Nigel Farage is filmed claiming he could earn around £250,000 through 'games you could play'. In footage thought to be from 1999 or 2000, Farage says he could earn as much as a Goldman Sachs banker through using the expenses system and employing his wife as a secretary. Farage criticises the MEP travel expense system while holding a wedge of cash

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2014/mar/13/ukip-nigel-farage-could-earn-like-goldman-sachs-banker-video
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

You need better lines than this.

Luckily the sage of our times Dan Hodges has tabled the truth of the issue ;)

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 2m
    Ukip's response to the Time's report on Nigel Farage is exactly how the BNP used to respond to scrutiny of Griffin
    Bad use of an apostrophe Dan.. that won't go down well
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

No no

You've missed the point

Nope, I didn't particularly want the story to be true; try to find a post from me that indicates that I did (hint: look at the previous thread).

And I stand by what I said: it is a pathetic attack line by UKIP.

I won't bother looking, I just thought you'd enjoy the story and hope it were true

If not, ok
  • Options
    Snap! :)
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

and then...

I don't know anyone who feels the need to include their undergraduate degree after their name. Even in a letter to the Times.

Absolutely no idea
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Daniel said:

As I wrote yesterday, we are probably witnessing another decline of a liberal party; historically, it is quite common.

Any movement to the left is not workable, a lot of the social democrats have left the party and been replaced by younger and far more liberal minded members. I do think a lib-lab coalition might prove to be awkward and not as compatible as current con-lib. Clegg has pretty much cleared out all attachments to social democracy within the party.

The Liberal Democrats are essentially a centre right party under Clegg; Tory-lite, if you will. The leadership refer to the Social Liberal Forum as the 'socialist liberal forum' and Tim Farron is certainly *not* popular with senior figures within the party, nor is Vince - seen as too arrogant. Clegg's inner circle do not want the party moving leftwards post-Nick, believe it would be a disaster.

Ed Davey and Jo Swinson are seen as possible unity candidates. Jenny Willott is the dark horse and Jeremy Browne has no hope in hell winning over the grassroots.

As for the internals of the party: Federal Executive, Party President, Cabinet members, grassroots are all heavily divided; the splits are more idealogical and not just along right/left lines.

Imho, you're opinion of a Liberal tradition of splitting comes from an over-focus on the Liberal party compared to say the Conservatives, and the LDs are not going to split post 2015.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Allowances, posh boy.

Nigel Farage is filmed claiming he could earn around £250,000 through 'games you could play'. In footage thought to be from 1999 or 2000, Farage says he could earn as much as a Goldman Sachs banker through using the expenses system and employing his wife as a secretary. Farage criticises the MEP travel expense system while holding a wedge of cash

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2014/mar/13/ukip-nigel-farage-could-earn-like-goldman-sachs-banker-video
    I can't watch the video right now, but this seems a laughable non-story. He's saying the expense system in the EU is a mess and it is possible to earn £250k by exploiting it. The Guardian doesn't seem to understand the word "could". Is this supposed to be an anti-EU piece, because it isn't saying anything negative about Farage?
  • Options

Allowances, posh boy.

Is the thread header going to be about the glaring difference between Westminster expenses and EU allowances, and how foolish people look when they mix the two up?
  • Options
    @isam

Since you are so keen on publishing David Samuel-Camps's letter to the Times, are you interested in publishing the Times's response?

Or do you need someone else to do it for you?
  • Options
    Charles said:

@isam

Since you are so keen on publishing David Samuel-Camps's letter to the Times, are you interested in publishing the Times's response?

I don't subscribe to The Times so haven't seen it.. fire away!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,969
    This fit up of Farage is all part of the Times' sad decline. It has become a bit of a Tory mouthpiece over the last couple of years and so is nowhere near the paper it used to be. Good sport section still though and worth buying on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

and then...

Diploma in being a Personal Assistant. No really.

IIRC, there's a bit of elitism in it, there's also a Diploma in being an Personal Assistant to an executive.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    john_zims said:

@isam

What an impressive electricity bill - that's a lot of ovens, tumble dryers and immersion heaters, and in such a small office. It must be roasting in there.

So who's running up those costs?

Annabelle Fuller works out of the London press office, and one assumes that Farage must be in Europe quite a lot of the time. Does Mrs Farage work in the Littlehampton outpost for her £20K pa, in front of a battery of permanently running hair dryers and irons?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Ironically, the lib dem's dumping Clegg, electing someone on the left of the party, and pulling out of the coalition could be just what Cameron needs, if the lib dems which now support labour swing back..
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Snap! :)

Scott_P said:

That actually caused me to look at the UKIP page where I hadn't bothered before. Their case that the Times is stuffed full of people with deep links with the Tory party is stronger than I realised. Rifking's tweets just accentuate the narrative of a spat between UKIP and a big city newspaper, and people will interpret the expense attacks in that light. Smart politicking by UKIP to goad them into this.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

This fit up of Farage is all part of the Times' sad decline. It has become a bit of a Tory mouthpiece over the last couple of years and so is nowhere near the paper it used to be. Good sport section still though and worth buying on a Saturday.

This fit up of Farage Cameron is all part of the Times Telegraph's sad decline. It has become a bit of a Tory UKIP mouthpiece over the last couple of years and so is nowhere near the paper it used to be. Good sport section still though and worth buying on a Saturday.
  • Options
    The Libdems should look towards a Danny Alexander/Jo Swinson team, the Scottish connection has been a very successful one for the party in the past.
    Daniel said:

• Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

@isam

I don't subscribe to The Times so haven't seen it.. fire away!
    Courtesy of Guido.

Date: 15 April 2014 10:14:05 BST
    To: David Samuel-Camps
    Cc: Alexi Mostrous, Nigel Farage
    Subject: Re: Your report

Hi David,

The difference between the two figures lies in the way Ukip MEP’s break down their transparency reports.

This includes various categories – of which the one of relevance to rent is “office management and running costs” which covers rent, utilities, insurance, business rates and cleaning. In his transparency reports Farage claims to have spent £15,500 a year solely on this category since July 2009. This does not include office equipment, phone bills and stationery which fall under “communication costs” and “stationery, periodicals, subscriptions”.

As you say, the total monthly cost for all office expenditure was £700 (down from £2,000 when you managed to cancel various locked-in contracts for things like unnecessary amounts of printer ink) which I asked you to break down into its constituent parts – something we went through twice to ensure accuracy.

You said that utilities and insurance amounted to less than £100 a month and that council tax/business rates were £150 (I looked it up and it was £149 a month for the current financial year 2013). Hence the figure of £250 a month, which is £3,000 a year. The remaining £450 a month falls under the two other categories outlined above.

Bognor Regis is the nearest well-known town for readers who are less familiar with the West Sussex coast.

Best wishes,
    Billy

• Options
    isam said:

Allowances, posh boy.

Is the thread header going to be about the glaring difference between Westminster expenses and EU allowances, and how foolish people look when they mix the two up?
    No, the thread's going to be about how people in glass houses should't change clothes with the lights on throw stones.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Allowances, posh boy.

I can't watch the video right now, but this seems a laughable non-story. He's saying the expense system in the EU is a mess and it is possible to earn £250k by exploiting it. The Guardian doesn't seem to understand the word "could". Is this supposed to be an anti-EU piece, because it isn't saying anything negative about Farage?
    Also, in 1999, £250k would only have bought you a very junior Goldman Sachs banker...
  • Options

john_zims said:

@isam

£250 a week on power is impressive - that's a lot of ovens, tumble dryers and immersion heaters.

So who's running up that bill?

Annabelle Fuller works out of the London press office, and one assumes that Farage must be in Europe quite a lot of the time. Does Mrs Farage work in the Littlehampton outpost for her £20K pa, in front of a battery of permanently running hair dryers and irons?
    Quite a long, and difficult, commute from West Kent, surely. Although I beleive there's a nanny or some other child care.
  • Options
    Farage looked so young and healthy in 1999!
  • Options
    The latest bizarre career move in the increasingly implausible life of Lembit Opik is a foray into Iranian propaganda, cloaked under the veil of a ‘comedy’ news programme.

At least Scrapbook think’s it’s supposed to be comedy, it’s hard to tell with Lembit.

He’s taken on hosting duties on News At When, which airs on a recently launched Freesat channel called London Broadcasting Partners. The show’s described as “Britain’s first satirical pro-Iranian politics show” – and, somewhat chillingly, as “Iran…with a smile.”

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/04/lembit-opik-now-hosts-a-pro-iranian-propaganda-comedy-tv-show/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Farage looked so young and healthy in 1999!

Farage is nearly 3 years older than Clegg.

Something I can quite get my head around.
  • Options
    This was a good paragraph from Hannan:

It's not my job to defend Cleggie, obviously, any more than it's my job to defend Nigel. I am standing against candidates from both their parties next month. But I'd rather fight that election on the basis of policy than on fabricated outrage. There are examples of real malfeasance in the EU: monstrous boondoggles in the agriculture, regional and foreign aid budgets. There are plenty of cases of real sleaze, too, in the European Parliament, which I've written about many times over the past 15 years. Yet they attract little attention.

When has the Times reported on these genuine, and much more expensive, cases of wasted taxpayer money at the EU level? Never. Because it doesn't have a beef to pick with the EU in the way it has one with UKIP, so there's a huge double standard in its reporting.
This discussion has been closed.