Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs slump to just 6 pc in Euros survey from pollster th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,702
edited April 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LDs slump to just 6 pc in Euros survey from pollster that traditionally gives them the highest shares

For me ICM IS the gold standard and I regard its monthly survey for the Guardian as the most important polling event of the month. ICM is also the firm that traditionally reports the best shares for the Lib Dems.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,616
    Wow
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,315
    ICM Euros poll - UKIP figure looks quite a way out of line.

I've posted this before but I think a key issue in Euros polling is how the question is asked - in particular if people asked GE voting intention first and then Euros afterwards it is a subconscious prompt to give a different answer.

So is ICM asking the Euros question in a different way to other pollsters?

The "correct" way to poll the Euros is one question - ie how will you vote in the Euros - with no mention at all of GE.
  • Options
    Clegg's decision to debate Farage may be ranked up in the greatest strategic blunder since Hitler decided to declare war on the Ruskies or Hannibal thought he was good enough to give Scipio Africanus a good hiding.
  • Options
    Disappointing ICM poll for Con.

The Wiki polling graph was updated yesterday and the Lab line is now showing a pretty solid, consistent downtrend.

The latest Con move is also down but only very marginally - Con is essentially flat over the last 6 months.

But that Lab line gives quite a bit of encouragement for Con.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    We need some decimal points on the LD/Green figures to see who is in 5th place.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    edited April 2014
    looks like trouble for YES

twitter.com/TommyReckless/status/455714471961317376/photo/1
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    FPT: The other thing to remember about this leadership 'speculation' is that calamity Clegg and his media idiots/spinners are exceedingly stupid.

They've 'floated' leadership names before to the press to try to nullify them as a threat and paint them as untrustworthy and disloyal. Farron has seen plenty of this as has Vince. Now it would seem that anyone who could be a possible threat on the right is getting 'the treatment' as a desperate Clegg tries to gloss over his own extraordinary failure over Farage and keep himself safe.

Problem is if you cry wolf long enough then sooner or later what becomes the story isn't WHO wants to replace Clegg but WHY he hasn't he been replaced already?
    The more leadership speculation there is then the less people will care about 'loyalty' or shifting the blame away from a self-evidently toxic Clegg.

You know who didn't make a calamitous fool of themselves with a Farage 'master strategy'? Every single one of those leadership replacement names including Browne and Ed Davey.

(though to be fair since wee Danny is in the quad and so close to Clegg it's inconceivable he didn't give it the green light and think it was a great idea, as usual)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    It looks like the Tories are going to have to work out a way to get UKIP voters back. Looking at the Guardian report, relentless attacks on the two Eds seem to be the solution. What with Labour attacking out of touch Dave and George, and everyone attacking poor old Nick Clegg, it's going to be a deeply unpleasant GE campaign. I might go on holiday!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996
    I am not one to query polling, I don't know enough about it make big judgements, but what surprised me (showing my naivety) is the people polled have signed up to it. I thought the pollsters just randomly phoned people and asked them!

There is surely a relationship between the kind of people who volunteer to become respondents and social class? My feeling is that working class Sun readers aren't represented in the polls we see and analyse, and that may be why UKIP always seem to out poll the polls

I think that PB suffers from the same problem at times. Who can honestly say they read The Sun more than once a month? I only read it when I go to the café, and the slant they put on political news is quite surprising.

Today for instance, the Editorial was criticising the amount of immigration, and pointed the reader to pages 12-13, whose headline was along the lines of how something like 85% of babies born in London were to non British parents, and the effect on the NHS as a result. It reads like a UKIP manifesto at times, and as one of the biggest selling papers, one that working class people read in cafes everyday, it informs a lot of non polled opinions
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MikeL said:

The Wiki polling graph was updated yesterday and the Lab line is now showing a pretty solid, consistent downtrend.

The latest Con move is also down but only very marginally - Con is essentially flat over the last 6 months.

Labour line trending down, UKIP line trending up.
  • Options

It looks like the Tories are going to have to work out a way to get UKIP voters back. Looking at the Guardian report, relentless attacks on the two Eds seem to be the solution. What with Labour attacking out of touch Dave and George, and everyone attacking poor old Nick Clegg, it's going to be a deeply unpleasant GE campaign. I might go on holiday!

Con thinking might be once the Euros are out of the way then peak Ukip may pass.

May happen - but not certain.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MikeL said:

ICM Euros poll - UKIP figure looks quite a way out of line.

I've posted this before but I think a key issue in Euros polling is how the question is asked - in particular if people asked GE voting intention first and then Euros afterwards it is a subconscious prompt to give a different answer.

So is ICM asking the Euros question in a different way to other pollsters?

The "correct" way to poll the Euros is one question - ie how will you vote in the Euros - with no mention at all of GE.

ICM failed to pick up the UKIP surge in their polls leading up to the 2009 EU elections too. Their final UKIP prediction was 10%, UKIP got 16.6%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009_(United_Kingdom)#Opinion_polls

• Options

MikeL said:

Ukip 2009 EU elections : 16.6 %

1 yr later GE : 3.1%

That's the riddle - a repeat of this or not in 2015.

• Options
    isam said:

I am not one to query polling, I don't know enough about it make big judgements, but what surprised me (showing my naivety) is the people polled have signed up to it. I thought the pollsters just randomly phoned people and asked them!

There is surely a relationship between the kind of people who volunteer to become respondents and social class? My feeling is that working class Sun readers aren't represented in the polls we see and analyse, and that may be why UKIP always seem to out poll the polls

I think that PB suffers from the same problem at times. Who can honestly say they read The Sun more than once a month? I only read it when I go to the café, and the slant they put on political news is quite surprising.

Today for instance, the Editorial was criticising the amount of immigration, and pointed the reader to pages 12-13, whose headline was along the lines of how something like 85% of babies born in London were to non British parents, and the effect on the NHS as a result. It reads like a UKIP manifesto at times, and as one of the biggest selling papers, one that working class people read in cafes everyday, it informs a lot of non polled opinions

You look at past performance, say in 2005 and 2010 (and other elections) ICM got the results largely right.

Or in 2011 when they got the AV result spot on.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    "This is really bad for Clegg and his party but it’s hard to see what can be done. "

Which brings us to the clincher about all the leadership speculation and the one ray of hope Clegg has.

None of the lib dem leadership hopefuls are likely have the balls to mount a direct leadership attack on Clegg. They are all David Miliband clutching a yellow banana terrified to make an overt move lest it backfire on them.

With one exception.

Huhne. He would not hesitate. But Huhne is done as far as front line politics is concerned. Certainly for a good few years at least.

The leadership hopefuls are also all justifiably scared they they will very quickly become a coalition sh*t magnet like Clegg is.

So Clegg still has the upper hand as long as there is nobody with any bottle keen to challenge him. Whispers can still be ignored and Clegg and his ostrich faction are utterly superb at ignoring things, if clearly hopeless at everything else.

• Options
    For those interested, the retrial of Constance Briscoe on three counts of perverting the course of public justice began today at the Central Criminal Court before Mr Justice Jeremy Baker and a jury.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Swingback in full flow I see with ICM.
    Decent poll for Labour with what is usually the most Tory-friendly pollster.
  • Options

isam said:

You look at past performance, say in 2005 and 2010 (and other elections) ICM got the results largely right.

That was pre 4 party politics though.

The range of quotes for UKIP is ridiculous really isn't it? They're on 11% with one firm and 20% with another in Westminster VI and 20% -30% in the Euros
  • Options

MikeL said:

Yep. The same kind of movement as was saw last May though later and more gradual in the kipper upswing than then.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A few week ago I said it might be worth betting on the Greens getting more votes than the LDs in the Euros, although I don't know whether such a bet is available.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,367
    edited April 2014
    Well, the LibDems shouldn't have any trouble with expectation management after this - I can see the Euro-election interview now if they get 7%:; "Compared with the polls at the beginning of the campaign this is a remarkable recovery..."

The problem about replacing Clegg is the same as before - a successor will simply inherit the disaster unless he breaks up the coalition. Aat this point they probably have to gallop into the valley of death, and then have a fresh face in June 2015. But a Farron rebellion involving an early end to the coalition would be a possible gamble.
  • Options
    Puts a hole in the received wisdom about a 'bedrock' LD support around 10 to 12%. Of course, they've been on life support here in Scotland since they lost all their mainland MSPs in 2011.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The range of quotes for UKIP is ridiculous really isn't it? They're on 11% with one firm and 20% with another in Westminster VI and 20% -30% in the Euros
    The variance is ridiculous. Unlike that of the Liberals who appear to be screwed sideways whichever pollster you ask. Time to ship Clegg out and fast - or face oblivion.

Anyone see that C4 News focus group feature on the Red Liberals I posted earlier? Required viewing for any punter/Lib supporter. They look absolutely finished.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

With the Lib Dems getting 7 in ComRes (wasn't it?) - are we now witnessing the strange death of the liberal party?

Blah blah incumbency blah blah activists blah blah tactical voting blah fecking blah - the fact is when you are scoring 6 and 7 in national polls you are staring total annihilation in the face.

Sean - check out the C4 piece I posted earlier. It will confirm your suspicions

*paging Mark Senior*
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Great poll for the Labour party.
  • Options
    Did ICM do a Euro poll back in 2009 before that election? If yes, anyone have the data?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    isam's 5-1 bet on zero LD Euro seats looks a shrewd bet.

That said, the yellow peril have to be pleased to still be on 12 (unch) in the ICM Westminster VI poll...
  • Options

Did ICM do a Euro poll back in 2009 before that election? If yes, anyone have the data?

Yes. They're on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2009_(United_Kingdom)#Opinion_polls
  • Options
    You just have to conclude that the Tories' poor showing is down to the Maria Miller saga and Cameron's failure to deal with it - he simply can't afford to keep making errors of this magnitude.
  • Options
    The pollsters seem to be having all sorts of problems assessing UKIP support: the range at the moment is from 20% to 30%, or 34% for certain to vote.
  • Options

Well, the LibDems shouldn't have any trouble with expectation management after this - I can see the Euro-election interview now if they get 7%:; "Compared with the polls at the beginning of the campaign this is a remarkable recovery..."

The problem about replacing Clegg is the same as before - a successor will simply inherit the disaster unless he breaks up the coalition. Aat this point they probably have to gallop into the valley of death, and then have a fresh face in June 2015. But a Farron rebellion involving an early end to the coalition would be a possible gamble.

Game theory says gamble Nick - do what your opponents least want you to do.
    Labour want the Libs to soldier on into oblivion.
    Time to cut, and run.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,378
    Very bad poll for the tories. Any budget bounce has gone and it is as you were as the clock ticks down.

The Lib Dems are still all of 1% ahead of UKIP for Westminster but are facing utter humiliation in the Euros. I really did not believe they could face wipe out there but it is now looking distinctly possible. As the party of "in" it really indicates how at least the English are trending on the EU. This may strengthen Cameron's hand in the negotiations.

Labour+tory under 70%. Our politics are getting distinctly messy.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

MikeL said:

Ukip 2009 EU elections : 16.6 %

1 yr later GE : 3.1%

That's the riddle - a repeat of this or not in 2015.

Actually, it might be a similar change - only from 28% at the Euros to 15% at the GE. (Which would mean they probably outpoll the Libs by 1-2%)
  • Options
    6% would mean about 2% for the LDs in Scotland.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think the Lib Dems will obtain about 14% of the vote in the 2015 general election, but they will still hold onto between 30 and 40 seats. Where they are strong, they dominate holding many of the local council seats. This has taken them over 15 years to achieve and is totally different to the situation they were in say 1997 for example, where they won 17.8% of the votes, but only 20 seats.

I agree with Rupert Murdoch that Labour will win in 2015, if the Tories don't do some form of deal with UKIP. I cannot see Cameron allowing his party to do any deal with Farage.
  • Options

You just have to conclude that the Tories' poor showing is down to the Maria Miller saga and Cameron's failure to deal with it - he simply can't afford to keep making errors of this magnitude.

The bounce was fading before Maria came on to the scene

• Options
    edited April 2014

.But a Farron rebellion involving an early end to the coalition would be a possible gamble.

His major advantage is that he hasn't been tainted by the levers of power. Trouble is he needs most of those who have been so tainted to get behind him. His distance from the coalition and senior lib dems is a distinct handicap when it comes to getting the required support to mount a challenge. It's also far from certain that Farron has the stomach or experience for such a battle and the kind of westminster plotting it would necessarily involve.

Lib dem leadership contests are every bit as 'messy' and vicious as labour and the tories have.
    You only have to look at the Fate of Ming as well as the Clegg and Huhne battle to realise that.
  • Options
    I don't know what to do for the best regarding the Euro elections. I thought I was going to stay at home or spoil my ballot paper - seeing as how I'm not hugely happy with any of the parties at the moment. But I've always cast a vote before... I'm not sure I have it in me to sit it out even if I think it's the right thing to do. :/
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I think the Lib Dems will obtain about 14% of the vote in the 2015 general election, but they will still hold onto between 30 and 40 seats. Where they are strong, they dominate holding many of the local council seats. This has taken them over 15 years to achieve and is totally different to the situation they were in say 1997 for example, where they won 17.8% of the votes, but only 20 seats.

I agree with Rupert Murdoch that Labour will win in 2015, if the Tories don't do some form of deal with UKIP. I cannot see Cameron allowing his party to do any deal with Farage.

It's very possible the general election result could be:

UKIP 15%, 0 seats
    LD 14%, 35 seats
  • Options

I am sure down thread, or maybe on the previous thread, someone quoted them as predicting 10% compared to the actual 16.6%
  • Options
    There seems to be a strong view on here that removing Clegg is essential for the Lib Dems. But things may actually be far worse. The polling after the Euro debates had Clegg getting a better rating than the views he espoused. Could it be that it is the pro-EC policies of the Lib Dems that are the problem? But then, we know the theme that Europe does not matter to the voters.....
  • Options

There seems to be a strong view on here that removing Clegg is essential for the Lib Dems. But things may actually be far worse. The polling after the Euro debates had Clegg getting a better rating than the views he espoused. Could it be that it is the pro-EC policies of the Lib Dems that are the problem? But then, we know the theme that Europe does not matter to the voters.....

You keep telling them that! Dream scenario for Labour is that Clegg hangs on and they cling to the coalition...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    What are the odds on UKIP picking up a Scottish euro seat ? The Italian authorities block access to UK betting sites.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

You keep telling them that! Dream scenario for Labour is that Clegg hangs on and they cling to the coalition...
    We have also had at least 18 months of the Lib Dems in Govt bitching and moaning about how much they disagree with the coalition Govt. By telling voters all the many examples that it is a bad form of Govt they also get no upside from presenting their role in govt as a good thing. "Pointless" to quote one senior Lib Dem. A level of self indulgence that makes them feel better but is self-pleasuring the best approach to attracting others?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's just one poll (albeit from ICM, Praise Be On Its Name). However, it's just one poll that tells a very similar story to that told in the last few days by YouGov, ComRes and Opinium: Labour somewhere in the mid-to-high 30s and the Conservatives somewhere in the low-to-mid 30s. Labour will be anxious that their poll shares seem to be flaking away but relieved to see the same seems to be happening to the Conservatives. The Conservatives will be having exactly the opposite emotional reactions to the same things.

The Conservatives stand a much better chance of overtaking a Labour score of 37 with a 5 point deficit than a Labour score of 42 with a 5 point deficit. But Labour are running down the clock.
  • Options
    A couple of Hodges thread ideas:

Jeremy Browne's Liberal leadership bid spells disaster for Ed Miliband.
    Tory polling slump spells disaster for Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Four party politics isn't a new event.

Some pollsters saw that Cleggasm was all light and no heat.

Pollsters don't have to be homogeneous, each pollster has their own methodology, and it is never wise to compare different elections, particularly those with different expected turnouts.

Take a look at Anthony Wells analysis at house effects of each pollster.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    In comedy timing is everything.

Shane ‏@shanedgj 22m

Nick Clegg aims to stay on as Lib Dem leader through next parliament http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/nick-clegg-lib-dem-leader-2020

Deputy PM wants to remain party leader until at least 2020, no matter what happens in May's European elections

LOL
  • Options
    isam said:

I am sure down thread, or maybe on the previous thread, someone quoted them as predicting 10% compared to the actual 16.6%
    So that is for UKIP. But what were the LD, C and Lab figures? Did ICM over state the LDs in 2009?
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Shane ‏@shanedgj 22m
    Nick Clegg aims to stay on as Lib Dem leader through next parliament http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/nick-clegg-lib-dem-leader-2020
    Deputy PM wants to remain party leader until at least 2020, no matter what happens in May's European elections
    LOL

Well, Clegg may be able to rely on the LD MEPs not voting him out after this election.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Mick_Pork said:

Shane ‏@shanedgj 22m
    LOL

Well, Clegg may be able to rely on the LD MEPs not voting him out after this election.
    It's the sheer genius of raising the spectre of Clegg still there in 2020 that makes it PR comedy gold. It's like some dystopian science fiction film for the poor old lib dem activists still left and trying to overcome the damage of Clegg's idiocy. Clegg in 2020, the horror!

*chortle*
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,054
    I was a little surprised to see the Lib Dems on 10% in Euro polling. It's worth remembering that they only got 13% in 2009 and i15% n 2004. It's not a good election for them. Given their current national polling 6% might be about right. They're being helped by the lack of prominent leader of the Greens since Lucas stepped down.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

I'm kinda guest editing the site over the next couple of days.

I'm willing to take on suggestions.

Perhaps a thread on electoral reform will keep everyone happy?
  • Options

BobaFett said:

After Scottish independence would Vince Cable as Liberal leader win the EU election under STV?

The perfect PB thread.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited April 2014

isam said:

So that is for UKIP. But what were the LD, C and Lab figures? Did ICM over state the LDs in 2009?
    ICM's poll in 2009 was a very poor forecast for all parties

Con 29 Lab 17 LD 20 UKIP 10 Green 11BNP 5
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Four party politics isn't a new event.

Some pollsters saw that Cleggasm was all light and no heat.

Pollsters don't have to be homogeneous, each pollster has their own methodology, and it is never wise to compare different elections, particularly those with different expected turnouts.

Take a look at Anthony Wells analysis at house effects of each pollster.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7744
    I will have a look

Im not criticising any poller btw, just saying that I think the UKIP rise has naused things for all of them, and the wide spread of scores/constant under estimates means we should all tread carefully, or heaven forbid, try and "think outside the box"

eeuurgh what a wanky thing to say!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Shane ‏@shanedgj 22m
    LOL

It's the sheer genius of raising the spectre of Clegg still there in 2020 that makes it PR comedy gold. It's like some dystopian science fiction film for the poor old lib dem activists still left and trying to overcome the damage of Clegg's idiocy. Clegg in 2020, the horror!

*chortle*
    Is there a mechanism by which the Liberal membership can eject this comedian?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

BobaFett said:

I suggest "Are Sun readers views under represented in Polling and political reporting?"

As I said, I am sure not many on here ever pick up a copy, and its not available free online to read just the political bits, but it is where a large proportion of working class males get their political news and views shaped...

...and it reads like a UKIP manifesto when it comes to the EU and immigration

These people are what Goodwin and Ford are calling the "left behind"... I reckon polls/political anoraks don't factor their (illogical)?) views into their forecasts and opinions
  • Options
    SeanT said:

hucks67 said:

If Scotland votes YES, Cameron, or his successor, could easily do a deal with UKIP, and romp home.

Because after Scottish secession Brexit will look like an obvious and agreeable doddle.
    There are two things wrong with this:

1. Scotland is going to vote overwhelmingly to stay part of the union.
    2. The Conservatives can't do a deal with UKIP without:
    a) losing some gay/metropolitan/business elite voters to the LibDems and Labour
    b) permanently splitting the right

But other than that, spot on.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

How about one on the locals: are there any councils up for election that would predict if the LDs hope of losing votes only in convenient constituencies is more than wishful thinking?
  • Options

What are the odds on UKIP picking up a Scottish euro seat ? The Italian authorities block access to UK betting sites.

Save your money. UKIP polling <2% in Scotland at the moment.
  • Options

isam said:

ICM's poll in 2009 was a very poor forecast for all parties
    Con 29 Lab 17 LD 20 UKIP 10 Green 11BNP 5
    Thanks Mark and well done of you to come on here tonight.
    Actual votes were:-
    Con 28 Lab 15.7 LD 13.7 UKIP 16.5 Green 8.6, BNP 6.2

So forecasts were C slightly high, Lab higher, LD badly higher, UKIP well under and Green higher.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Yet again this shows that UKIp is taking more votes from the Tories.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

6% would mean about 2% for the LDs in Scotland.

Too high, you think?
  • Options

BobaFett said:

How about one on the locals: are there any councils up for election that would predict if the LDs hope of losing votes only in convenient constituencies is more than wishful thinking?
    I have a long term project (to be hopefully published in May) which shows local elections are terrible predictors for future general elections.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Interesting that Labour poll strongest where there is no risk of the party being elected to govern anything.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

What "4 party politics"? We're back to 3 party politics - Labour, Tories and UKIP.

Lib Dems are now down there with Veritas, the Greens, and Welsh Socialist Workers.
    In Westminster terms? Don't be silly.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Mike Smithson: ICM; the GOLD STANDARD
    MikeK:............. ICM; the LEAD STANDARD
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

Shane ‏@shanedgj 22m
    LOL

*chortle*
    Is there a mechanism by which the Liberal membership can eject this comedian?
    Not easily, not now. It's amazing how a wee bit of power concentrates the mind of a party leader. Clegg has been diligent in making sure that such a procedure would now be less than straightforward as well as moving Clegg loyalists into key positions to obstruct it.

Like so many other party leaders, Clegg has excelled at the machinations required to become leader and hold on to that power, while in almost every other aspect of leadership he has been shown to be woefully inadequate and usually incompetent.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Interesting that Labour poll strongest where there is no risk of the party being elected to govern anything.

Such as in the ICM Westminster poll above?

• Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

I suggest "Are Sun readers views under represented in Polling and political reporting?"

As I said, I am sure not many on here ever pick up a copy, and its not available free online to read just the political bits, but it is where a large proportion of working class males get their political news and views shaped...

...and it reads like a UKIP manifesto when it comes to the EU and immigration

These people are what Goodwin and Ford are calling the "left behind"... I reckon polls/political anoraks don't factor their (illogical)?) views into their forecasts and opinions
    isam: don't forget pollsters try to weight replies to try and get a representative sample. So, if you're surveyed and say "I'm a Sun reader", then you'll probably get weighted more heavily than if you said "I read the Guardian" because pollsters tend to get more answers from Guardian readers than from Sun ones.

You can see - in real time, so to speak - how this works by looking at the YouGov pre- and post- adjustment figures.

All pollsters tend to down-weight people who have not voted in the past, on the basis that (historically) people who did not vote last time are less likely to vote this time. I think, because UKIP is tapping into previously under-represented voters, who were less likely to vote in 2010, that this is where the under-weighting of UKIP comes in. Effectively, many current UKIP voters were disenfranchised in 2010, and therefore didn't vote. If they vote in 2015 (and I suspect many will), then the pollsters will have to revise their models. (Ironically, as these people will have actually voted in 2015, their stated voted intentions in 2020 will be taken more seriously, and therefore you probably won't need to change the model at this point, but that's another story.)

There is also an enthusiasm factor at play: I feel (rightly or wrongly) that UKIP voters are the most fired up, based upon this board at least! This means that in low-turnout elections, like the Euros or the Locals or by-elections, then they are likely to do rather better than their poll scores.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

I have a long term project (to be hopefully published in May) which shows local elections are terrible predictors for future general elections.
    Then you need another guest contributor! There's an Opinium bod working on a project to prove the correlation between local election results and general elections. You could could have a PB duel!

http://jamescrouchblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/local-elections-and-what-they-tell-us-about-the-next-general-election/

https://twitter.com/MrJCrouch

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,995
    Looks good for the greens :D
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Well, the Ashcroft marginals polling does back up the suggestion that the LibDems are holding up much better in seats where they are in contention. Local election results in places like Cambridge and Sheffield have also tended to be supportive.

However this time round will be particularly interesting, however, as London is electing. We shall see if the Libs do well in Twickenham, etc. I think the results for Kingston (Ed Davey) could be fascinating; the Labour Party is resurgent, and I think the Libs could do very badly. But we will see in about a month, of course.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Then you need another guest contributor! There's an Opinium bod working on a project to prove the correlation between local election results and general elections. You could could have a PB duel!

http://jamescrouchblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/local-elections-and-what-they-tell-us-about-the-next-general-election/

https://twitter.com/MrJCrouch

It's a long project.

What complicates things is that not every party stands in council elections, and there's a large number of independents that complicate things.

Then there's the turnout to consider which distorts things.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I see the pro-fracking lobby has some support in Tory circles.The author's argument is reduced,not improved,however,by resorting to ad hominem attacks.I do not know if it is PB policy to play the ball,not the man or woman but by resorting to such abuse,those on the other side know the argument is lost.
    The question for Conservatives is how can they ban windfarms but allow fracking companies to have piping,which can easily fracture,as part of drilling,under your own home ,even legislating for the removal for your right to be consulted so if the foundations shake or you suffer methane poisoning you will not even know about the fracking?
    Is this the position of the "greenest government ever"?

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/04/shale-gas-sorts-the-real-greens-from-the-watermelons.html
  • Options
    rcs1000 , agreed Kingston will be interesting.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BobaFett said:

Well, the Ashcroft marginals polling does back up the suggestion that the LibDems are holding up much better in seats where they are in contention. Local election results in places like Cambridge and Sheffield have also tended to be supportive.

However this time round will be particularly interesting, however, as London is electing. We shall see if the Libs do well in Twickenham, etc. I think the results for Kingston (Ed Davey) could be fascinating; the Labour Party is resurgent, and I think the Libs could do very badly. But we will see in about a month, of course.
    This is also the 2nd round of locals since the UKIP surge kicked off in late 2012.

Are there any west country councils up for re-election? That seems to be one of the LDs stronger areas.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/region_south_west/
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906
    Call for Cable.

How low do the LDs have to go before they change. He's about the only one who can save their (and increasingly the Tories') bacon.
  • Options
    rcs1000 : "Scotland is going to vote overwhelmingly to stay part of the union"

How overwhelmingly in your view? Ladbrokes have some big odds if one is prepared to bet on the Yes vote being < 40%.
  • Options
    How on earth can you have a 20% Ukip GE (comres) and then have an 11% Ukip GE the next day?

ICM appear to have a terrible methodology that is completely out of sync with the shift in politics. Even populus admitted they needed to completely change their weighting of Ukip.

Their model obviously includes those people who voted on mass for the LDs in 2010 which disproportionally up weight the LDs, making them look better than they are, and the fact that at the same time, Ukip have sudden come from nowhere.

History can no longer be enough to keep ICM as the gold standard.

Sorry but in this political situation, the online pollsters who prompt Ukip are the gold standard. Ukip HAS to be prompted now for an accurate result, and the LD result in 2010 was a blip, so the weighting has to be deemed inaccurate.

The fact that the Tories and Labour don't appear to be any different from pollster to pollster regardless of where Ukip are, is further proof. Weighting also relies on the fact that the people who havent voted in the past never will, Ukip are changing that.

I have the sneaking feeling that the Comres poll is spot on at the moment.
  • Options
    If anyone reads The Sun online, then here is the article I mentioned.. you can get the tone from the free part to be honest!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/5568015/NHS-being-put-under-immense-pressure-by-rising-immigration.html
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Do you mean Scotland?
    AveryLP said:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    IOS said:

Yet again this shows that UKIp is taking more votes from the Tories.

?
    There is no change in either the UKIP, or Tory numbers.

--------------------------------------

In other news, have you looked at the wikipedia polling graph? Bizarrely it seem to show UKIP taking support from Labour!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png/800px-UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

Imperialist lies of course, but should there be a new purge of the faithful, just to be sure no saboteurs are at work in the party?

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited April 2014
    UNS Euros

Lab 31 (+18)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 15 (-11)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Grn 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Labour would come first or joint first in seats in all regions...

Anyone believe it?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

UNS Euros

Lab 31 (+18)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 15 (-11)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Grn 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Anyone believe it?

I like the LD prediction, so I'm content to accept the whole thing. :-)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Where?

Do you mean Scotland?

AveryLP said:

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    isam said:

If anyone reads The Sun online, then here is the article I mentioned.. you can get the tone from the free part to be honest!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/5568015/NHS-being-put-under-immense-pressure-by-rising-immigration.html

And count local health centres in there -

I've mentioned a few times on here about my own experiences at my local health centre,the place as taken to many new patients on,many from Eastern Europe.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    rcs1000 said:

YouGov have apparently done a London poll.

" [Westminster] CON 34%, LAB 42%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 11%

European voting intentions the figures are CON 25%, LAB 33%, LDEM 11%, UKIP 24%"

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8744
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2014
    DavidL said:

The Lib Dems are still all of 1% ahead of UKIP for Westminster but are facing utter humiliation in the Euros. I really did not believe they could face wipe out there but it is now looking distinctly possible. As the party of "in" it really indicates how at least the English are trending on the EU.

I don't think it necessarily indicates that at all. It just indicates that there's hardly anyone who's passionately in favour of the EU. I did say this when the news of the Clegg-Farage debate first came out, when some people on here were saying it was a shrewd move on Clegg's part simply because the polls showed there were more people saying they were in favour of staying in the EU than saying they liked the Lib Dems, the implication being that a pitch as "the party of IN" would win over some of those pro-EU people. That line of thinking completely failed to take into account how much most people who say they would like to stay in the EU actually care all that much about it. In my experience, there's only a small sect of politicians and businessmen who think staying in the EU is one of the top priorities facing the country; among the general public, even if any referendum would see a majority vote grudgingly to stay in, hardly anyone is really enthusiastic about it.

It would be like a proposal to paint all the country's postboxes blue. If there was a referendum, I'm guessing it would be a landslide in favour of keeping postboxes red simply because there doesn't seem any good reason to change it -- but even so, any party who made "we're the party of red post boxes!" their main pitch probably wouldn't get anywhere, because even if on balance people would want to keep them virtually noone would consider it a huge enough issue to base their vote on.
  • Options
    beastinblackbeastinblack Posts: 13
    edited April 2014
    RodCrosby said:

UNS Euros

Lab 31 (+18)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 15 (-11)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Grn 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Anyone believe it?

Funny how Ukip ICM euro polls are the same as Ukip Comres GE polls. ICM reallocate some don’t knows to the party they voted for last time, weight down people who didn’t vote last time and interview by phone… all things that tend to produce lower UKIP scores. I mean we dont do elections by phone do we? Phone polling may be fine under a 2 or even 3 party system. ICM may end up looking incredibly unreliable soon unless they buck their ideas up.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2014
    Dr Stephen Fisher's GE Seats Forecast updated at 11/04/14 is virtually unchanged showing:

Con ....... 307 seats (down 1)
    Labour .. 284 seats (up 1)
    LibDems .. 31 seats (unchanged)
    Other ...... 28 seats (unchanged)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,576
    edited April 2014

RodCrosby said:

UNS Euros

Lab 31 (+18)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 15 (-11)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Grn 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Anyone believe it?

Funny how Ukip ICM euro polls are the same as Ukip Comres GE polls. ICM reallocate some don’t knows to the party they voted for last time, weight down people who didn’t vote last time and interview by phone… all things that tend to produce lower UKIP scores. I mean we dont do elections by phone do we? Phone polling may be fine under a 2 or even 3 party system. ICM may end up looking incredibly unreliable soon unless they buck their ideas up.

We don't do elections online either, so we should ignore online polls as well by your logic.
  • Options
    I suspect, and I could be wrong, that the Libs will keep one Euro seat, the one in SE England (85% chance).

London and SW England are probably a little less than 50/50 shots. And the others are extremely unlikely to be held.

I would guess 9% for my LibDem Euro share, and 16% for projected national from the locals.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ICM is undoubtedly disappointing for Con.

But people saying Miller has been a big setback for Con don't appear to realise that last week was the 2nd best week for Con this year as far as the YouGov average Lab lead was concerned.

YouGov average Lab lead each week so far this year (oldest first):

4.6 (Budget week)
    4.4 (Last week)

Big picture is:

- Average Lab lead has been below 5% for the last 4 weeks in a row.
    - Average Lab lead was only below 5% in one of the previous 10 weeks

Miller has been a setback for Con but not a significant one. If Miller effect was, say, 0.5% then without it the lead would have been just under 4% - which would have been a very good week for Con. As it was it was still so so.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

UNS Euros

Lab 31 (+18)
    UKIP 20 (+7)
    Con 15 (-11)
    LD 0 (-11)
    Grn 1 (-1)
    SNP 2 (nc)
    Plaid 1 (nc)

Anyone believe it?

Of course not. They certainly won't come first in the SE or SW.
  • Options
    At 10 pm I will be updating this thread with a ComRes phone poll
  • Options
    @Isam @BeastInBlack

Definitely should be a thread on suspected Ukip underpolls. Interestingly Beast Nick Palmer backs you up saying that many Kippers are former non-voters.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

YouGov have apparently done a London poll.

European voting intentions the figures are CON 25%, LAB 33%, LDEM 11%, UKIP 24%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8744

In contrast, the LDs would hold their London seat on those figures...

This discussion has been closed.