Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead down but Tories trail by 5 percent in first phone

SystemSystem Posts: 11,701
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead down but Tories trail by 5 percent in first phone poll since the budget

After three online pollsters had reported LAB leads down to just one percent there’ll perhaps be some relief at Miliband HQ that tonight’s ComRes phone poll for the Indy has the margin down to 5%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1 min early!!
  • Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2014
    I'm werry werry cwoss.

Show me the cwossover, where is the cwossover?

[Dwops nut and stamps little paws.]
  • Options
    Obligatory sleazy broken Labour on the slide.

With YouGov, the Lab lead doubles

YouGov/Sun poll tonight- Labour lead shrinks to just two points: CON 36%, LAB 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 10%
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Labour's YG lead has doubled!
  • Options

Labour's YG lead has doubled!

Upside outlier.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Oh dear ! Didn't even last as long as the flounce bounce .

Where is tim when you need him ?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

I'm werry werry cwoss.

But Avery, as a Towy, you should be pleased ! You do like watching other people work, don't you ?
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Labour taken a bit of a hit. Needs to come out fighting.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    To get things in proportion, the same poll two months ago showed Con 32, Lab 33.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    So it looks very much like the trends identified over the weekend have continued. Has to be a concern for Labour, no? You would expect the only major opposition party at this stage of the electoral cycle to have a substantial lead in the polls (if they have a shot at forming the next government, that is)
  • Options
    In March 2009, for the purposes of comparison, The Tories had a 16% lead with ComRes.

Ed is no Dave
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    The Lib Dems are up to 10% with YouGov. Don't let it be said that the recovery is only benefiting the Tories.
  • Options
    FPT

DaemonBarber said:
    Regarding the below debate over sharia law versus English law...
    Come back FPTP versus AV.

I just don't get religion. Not one bit.

A religion is where a bunch of underachieving neurotic dimwits get together to attack a different bunch of underachieving neurotic dimwits.

If people want to live in a country run by Sharia law there are a lot of basket case countries they can go and live (Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia etc) instead of the UK.

But which came first, the basket case country or the basket case religion?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited March 2014
    If we were, for example, averaging the last 8 polls, Labour leads of 8 and 4 have been replaced by 5 and 2. Average Labour lead over last 8 polls is now 3%, not so long ago it was over 6%.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Along with the indyref polling, these are worrying times for little Ed Miliband.

You are right ! 5% lead [ remember, phone polls are better than online poll: PB golden rule ] , majority government. Miliband should be worried.

Are you nicking Hodges' line ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    antifrank said:

To get things in proportion, the same poll two months ago showed Con 32, Lab 33.

The big boats float on an incoming blue tide.

• Options

If we were, for example, averaging the last 8 polls, leads of 8 and 4 have been replaced by 5 and 2. Average Tory lead over last 8 polls is now 3%, not so long ago it was over 6%.

What are you smoking ?

• Options
    @Antifrank

Yes. Labour will be slightly relieved at first, but shouldn't be. They have shipped a couple of points, only upside is that it isn't going to the Tories in any great numbers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    AveryLP said:

I'm werry werry cwoss.

compouter will be gutted that his internet connection is down tonight of all nights.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Tories stay on 36 with YG. That should worry Labour a lot. Lead down to 5 with ComRes should not be reassuring either. The direction of travel is clear which Labour need to address.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight- Labour lead shrinks to just two points: CON 36%, LAB 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 10%

In March 2009, for the purposes of comparison, The Tories had a 16% lead with ComRes.

Ed is no Dave

In those days lefty LibDems still voted Liberal.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@Antifrank

Yes. Labour will be slightly relieved at first, but shouldn't be. They have shipped a couple of points, only upside is that it isn't going to the Tories in any great numbers.

Can the Tories better 37% ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

If we were, for example, averaging the last 8 polls, leads of 8 and 4 have been replaced by 5 and 2. Average Tory lead over last 8 polls is now 3%, not so long ago it was over 6%.

What are you smoking ?

It's a "Wishful Thinking" flavoured eShisha. Now corrected.

• Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Along with the indyref polling, these are worrying times for little Ed Miliband.

You are right ! 5% lead [ remember, phone polls are better than online poll: PB golden rule ] , majority government. Miliband should be worried.

You remind me of the infamous "PB Tories" just before the last election proclaiming nailed on majorities in the face of narrowing poll leads and swingback. Started from a higher base too IIRC...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    surbiton said:

BobaFett said:

@Antifrank

Can the Tories better 37% ?
    Not that long ago. Before 2012 budget, to be accurate. So, in a word, Yes.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Labour have some work to do for sure. But that split of the right wing vote and consolidation of the left wing vote is an absolute killer for the Tories.

Electoral calculus have this as a Labour majority of 60, despite the two main parties not being far off the reverse of the 2010 result.

If I were Dave, I would be praying for a Cable takeover of the LDs.
  • Options

Ed is no Dave

It's a painful comparison but ultimately a slightly odd one. To judge Dave's political virility by anything other than his failure to win in 2010 is strange. Bit like a batsman who failed in test matches telling you he was really great at net practice.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m

@Sun_Politics describe tonight's YouGov poll as "Labour lead shrinks"
    Eh? It is up from 1 to 2. This is one for you Mr. Gove
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Tories stay on 36 with YG. That should worry Labour a lot. Lead down to 5 with ComRes should not be reassuring either. The direction of travel is clear which Labour need to address.

And, Labour is still at > 37%.

YouGov: Labour 334 seats, majority 18

Comres [ phone poll ]: Labour 354 seats, majority 96.

Labour should be worried !

• Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

I'm werry werry cwoss.

But Avery, as a Towy, you should be pleased ! You do like watching other people work, don't you ?
    I pwefer lining up the cwoss hairs in my telescopic sights on red sqwiwells.

• Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah, there were lots of posts like that from the blues just prior to the GE...
  • Options

Ed is no Dave

It's a painful comparison but ultimately a slightly odd one. To judge Dave's political virility by anything other than his failure to win in 2010 is strange. Bit like a batsman who failed in test matches telling you he was really great at net practice.
    Look at this graph to see this why that comparison is interesting

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Graph-pic.jpg

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,990

I do wish we could get a level outlier !
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour have some work to do for sure. But that split of the right wing vote and consolidation of the left wing vote is an absolute killer for the Tories.

Electoral calculus have this as a Labour majority of 60, despite the two main parties not being far off the reverse of the 2010 result.

Nigel Farage = Ralph Nader = Alliance'83
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I've been saying for a year that I think Labour are going to win the next GE, probably with a small overall majority.

I still believe that. But I am much less convinced than I was. Ed is having a bad 2014, no doubt about it.

And Scotland is a huge problem, which Miliband seems unable or unwilling to address. If Labour loses Scotland you are fecked for 20 years.
    They are self destructing in Scotland, conference last week was a nightmare and the leaders interviews on TV were just bizarre, incoherent rubbish about 2016 manifesto. Hard to see how they can recover. No talent , no organisation on the ground and no policies. Their red paper mentions SNP 117 times , unbelievable. Everything in their conference was just SNP , Salmond , consumed totally with hatred.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Actually I think the only way the Lib Dems can get those voters back is a cast iron guarantee of no deal with the Tories after 2015. Even if they start pedaling back towards a soft left position, the desire of Lib>Lab switchers to see the Tories gone will far outweigh any forgiveness.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m

@Sun_Politics describe tonight's YouGov poll as "Labour lead shrinks"
    Eh? It is up from 1 to 2. This is one for you Mr. Gove

From the Sun's last poll it has.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

What indyref polling?
  • Options

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Just remember: Vote Distribution, Same Boundaries.

I would say with UKIP getting 6% of the votes, Tories would need a lead of 8% even to equal their current number of MPs.

Mike, repeatedly writes this but you don't listen, do you ?

As Clinton says: It's arithmetic !
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

What indyref polling?
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

What indyref polling?
    last 14 polls have shown trend to yes, latest ones down to 3-5% swing needed for YES.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2014
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

From today's Labour uncut piece... hmm... never see unskewers on PB only unsquirrels.

As the pressure rises, the unskewers’ entreaties not to panic will become more voluble. Loyal front-benchers will take up the cause and we’ll see unskewer analysis regularly retweeted to calm nerves.

The more Labour falls back on this approach, the deeper will be the hole in which the party finds itself. Clinging on to Lib Dem defectors and pointing to Labour’s consistency at 37% in the polls is the last redoubt of those who do not have anything substantive to say on policy or strategy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cameron gained more seats in 2010 than any Tory leader since Maggie in 83; and took power as Prime Minister. There are worse innings!

Ed is no Dave

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,143
    AveryLP said:

Upside outlier.

The outlier in the other direction will be high entertainment....

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

I would say with UKIP getting 6% of the votes, Tories would need a lead of 8% even to equal their current number of MPs.

Mummy, what does hubris mean?
  • Options
    What are the odds on two GEs in 2015?
  • Options

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

From today's Labour uncut piece... hmm... never see unskewers on PB only unsquirrels.

As the pressure rises, the unskewers’ entreaties not to panic will become more voluble. Loyal front-benchers will take up the cause and we’ll see unskewer analysis regularly retweeted to calm nerves.

The more Labour falls back on this approach, the deeper will be the hole in which the party finds itself. Clinging on to Lib Dem defectors and pointing to Labour’s consistency at 37% in the polls is the last redoubt of those who do not have anything substantive to say on policy or strategy.
    Some Labour people also do not understand electoral arithmetic.

- The Tories did a great favour by retaining FPTP.

- The Liberals did a great favour by scrapping boundary changes
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Mummy, what does hubris mean?
    It doesn't matter.

Just leave it alone.
  • Options
    Anyone else think that the 5/2 on Nick Clegg's tie being yellow in his debate with Farage represents good value?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1657911
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

For the first time in a while, I detect subconscious but sincere anxiety in your posts.
    WTF are you talking about ?

Given the current boundaries and FPTP, the Tories cannot win a majority.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2014
    The Co-op Bank's cash problems loom large over Labour too. Oh dear.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Paxman on Newsnight disgusted by the text message fiasco, even though it was only a few.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999

Anyone else think that the 5/2 on Nick Clegg's tie being yellow in his debate with Farage represents good value?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1657911

Hmm, with the other leaders not there, he won't have as much need to go with yellow to distinguish himself. But it's still highly likely.

I'm sure the leaders don't wear ties in their party colours as often as it seems like, but I'm not certain why they seem so keen to perpetuate the idea the political classes truly are identical to the point we need them to be colour co-ordinated to tell them apart.
  • Options
    @SeanT

What are the horrors of the HS2 link? Are these horrors just from the perspective of property owners in the area, or actually bad for the nation as a whole?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

What indyref polling?
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

What indyref polling?
    last 14 polls have shown trend to yes, latest ones down to 3-5% swing needed for YES.
    So a six to ten point lead for "no"?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

ComRes is the outlier in the light of recent polls.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,999
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

For the first time in a while, I detect subconscious but sincere anxiety in your posts.

Not 'cannot win a majority'. 'Currently inconceivable they could win a majority'. You have to let people have some hope.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Ed is no Dave

I wouldn't take pre-97 polls seriously or OGH might be inclined to fire you as guest editor. Those figures look somewhat strange. ICM had the Tories polling 33% in 2004 and between 32-34% in 2001. They had the Tories around 40% in mid-2009 so no major fall back there. Latest ICM had Labour on 38%, so I would expect a couple of points below next year. 36%?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Gerry Hassan ‏@GerryHassan 3h

529 Muslim Brotherhood supporters sentenced to death in #Egypt by the #Blair approved military dictatorship. #c4news

Witless NeoCon fools.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Jonathan said:

Nigel Farage = Ralph Nader = Alliance'83
    The threat is though that the Tories can pick off a few more points from Ukip, on top of those they have just snaffled. The two key groups in this election are the Red Liberals and the Purple Tories.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Again, the faint but distinct hyperbole and bad-temper in your remarks betrays a concealed panic. As I said, it is possibly subconscious and you are not even aware of it yourself.

SeanT can add irony to his many strengths. After all, no one does hyperbole and bad-temper quite like him.

• Options

Ed is no Dave

I wouldn't take pre-97 polls seriously or OGH might be inclined to fire you as guest editor. Those figures look somewhat strange. ICM had the Tories polling 33% in 2004 and between 32-34% in 2001. They had the Tories around 40% in mid-2009 so no major fall back there. Latest ICM had Labour on 38%, so I would expect a couple of points below next year. 36%?
    Some of the pre 92 polling was accurate, it was 1992/1997 that the polling wheels fell off.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,143
    SeanT said:

Bizarre question: has anyone seen the caribou migrations of Nunavut, Canada?

Today the Times asked me to go and write about it. The specialist lodge, where you can see this great spectacle - and which sits on the Arctic tree line - only invites two journalists a year. This year they have invited two Brits: Boris's dad, Stanley Johnson, and, errr, me (via my editor).

However it's a feck of a long way to travel - to go and see a bunch of deer looking slightly confused in the snow.

Hmm. On the upside Stanley and I will be able to discuss Bozza's future as prime minister of England, and the horrors of the HS2 link, now happily cancelled.

Not done the caribou migration. But I have seen the wildebeest migration in Tanzania. Tell your editor you need to do a compare-and-contrast of the two... But the Ngorongoro Crater is worth spending your own money to see in any event.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

Some Labour people also do not understand electoral arithmetic.

- The Tories did a great favour by retaining FPTP.

- The Liberals did a great favour by scrapping boundary changes
    What's interesting is that when Miliband has these little blips no one on the left advances any a priori reason why he should ultimately beat Cameron (e.g. that he is a greater or a better man, is a better driver or tells funnier jokes than Cameron). You implicitly concede that his best quality is a slight lead in the polls, when he has one.

As dear old Auden put it:

Out of the air a voice without a face
    Proved by statistics that some cause was just
    In tones as dry and level as the place:
    No one was cheered and nothing was discussed.

PS you are going to lose!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    FPT:

Surprising given how well the Tories have been polling that pb is fixated with Sharia law.

No, it's not.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mick_Pork said:

529 Muslim Brotherhood supporters sentenced to death in #Egypt by the #Blair approved military dictatorship. #c4news

Witless NeoCon fools.

Gerry Hassan - you do follow some rum old coves Porky. Is ill 5 names Phil on your go to list ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

What are the horrors of the HS2 link? Are these horrors just from the perspective of property owners in the area, or actually bad for the nation as a whole?

No, just from the perspective of property owners in NW1 and NW3. The link might have been great for the nation, but as a property owner in NW1, I don't give a f*ck. The link would have been catastrophic for Camden Town and outlying burbs like Primrose Hill, Dartmouth Park, Hampstead, etc.

Memo to railway planners: if you want to get permission for a hugely disruptive new railway line, make sure you plan to smash it through a poor area, like, say, Yorkshire, Liverpool, or Scotland, not through the most media savvy, politically influential borough in the entire country.
    Can't they tunnel it, or was the tunnelling what would cause the disruption.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,259
    Apparently another Indy poll at midnight tonight, Bettertogether tweeting it so maybe good/less bad news for them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

Gerry Hassan - you do follow some rum old coves Porky. Is ill 5 names Phil on your go to list ?

Pitiful even by your standards 'arry.

Tony Blair backs Egypt's government and criticises Brotherhood

Former British PM says Muslim Brotherhood was stealing Egypt's revolution and army intervention has put it on right path

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/30/tony-blair-backs-egypt-military-ruler-abdel-fatah-al-sisi

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters 14h

Egyptian court sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood members to death: lawyer http://reut.rs/1eE4wfX

Paul Kershaw ‏@1917paul 13h

The Wall Street Journal said #Egypt needed its Pinochet - "Egypt court sentences 529 Morsi supporters to death" http://is.gd/3eDPlT
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,259
    George Galloway debating Jim Sillars on BBC Scotland at the mo'. George seems to have borrowed his outfit from Peter Stringfellow.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

No, just from the perspective of property owners in NW1 and NW3. The link might have been great for the nation, but as a property owner in NW1, I don't give a f*ck. The link would have been catastrophic for Camden Town and outlying burbs like Primrose Hill, Dartmouth Park, Hampstead, etc.

Memo to railway planners: if you want to get permission for a hugely disruptive new railway line, make sure you plan to smash it through a poor area, like, say, Yorkshire, Liverpool, or Scotland, not through the most media savvy, politically influential borough in the entire country.
    The current plan is to revive the St Pancras link and compensate the residents of Camden Town by relocating them to Ebbsfleet Garden City.

Sean may even get an extra bedroom and an oblique view of the Thames estuary.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,567
    edited March 2014

Apparently another Indy poll at midnight tonight, Bettertogether tweeting it so maybe good/less bad news for them.

I maybe wrong, but I think it might be TNS BMRB.

They released some polling last week, on engagement etc last week.

So they maybe releasing the rest today.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

Former British PM says Muslim Brotherhood was stealing Egypt's

The Wall Street Journal said #Egypt needed its Pinochet - "Egypt court sentences 529 Morsi supporters to death" http://is.gd/3eDPlT
    Haggerty from the Drum, Roy Greenslade fro the Granuaid etc - 3 for 3 ?.
  • Options
    HS2 link would be good for the rest of the country: it would mean Bham, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds having a direct rail link to the continent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

It's too expensive to tunnel, right now. Apparently. And too destructive to go overground. They literally wanted to smash through Camden Markets, one of the biggest tourist attractions in the UK, which generates billions. Insane.

But in all honesty the whole thing is daft. At some point - given that we aren't in Schengen - we would need to check passports of people going to Europe anyway, so "through trains" are a delusion. We might as well do it in Euston or St Pancras. Ergo people from Brum or northern cities or Scotland will have to get off at Euston, then stand on a travelator for 3 minutes (the latest plan) then get their passports checked, then get on a new train at Kings X.

It's not exactly the Holocaust.
    Hm, perhaps scope for a future project to tunnel it. Is a bit stupid not to do it at the same time though.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

It's too expensive to tunnel, right now. Apparently. And too destructive to go overground. They literally wanted to smash through Camden Markets, one of the biggest tourist attractions in the UK, which generates billions. Insane..
    Is this actually, for lack of a better word, true?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Last 20 polls: 2 have Labour lead at more than 5%.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

Former British PM says Muslim Brotherhood was stealing Egypt's revolution and army intervention has put it on right path

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/30/tony-blair-backs-egypt-military-ruler-abdel-fatah-al-sisi

Egyptian court sentences 529 Muslim Brotherhood members to death: lawyer http://reut.rs/1eE4wfX

Which one do you think is lying about what Blair said or the 529 death sentences?
    Or are you just comically fumbling about as usual 'arry?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HS2 link would be good for the rest of the country: it would mean Bham, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds having a direct rail link to the continent.

Would they actually have had trains which went all the way to the Continent, or would a change be required?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

And Scotland is a huge problem, which Miliband seems unable or unwilling to address. If Labour loses Scotland you are fecked for 20 years.
    The bizarre thing is, Labour posters on here keep asking 'When is Cameron going to do something about it?' Since over 80% of Scottish Conservatives are going to vote for the Union, his work is done.....

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

Which one do you think is lying about what Blair said or the 529 death sentences?
    Just enjoying your non denial. Paul McConville doesn't tweet as much these days mind you.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    Frustratingly close for the tories but no banana. 3 polls in a row showing a Labour lead of 1%. What are the odds on that? Natural variation and a desire of a headline should have moved one over the line. And now a tel poll showing an improvement but a bigger gap.

I am not sure it gets much worse for Labour than this. Their leader has confirmed himself as a prat, they are falling apart in Scotland, their bank is up the spout and Ed Balls is still shadow Chancellor. Rather than relying on wishful thinking about trends tories need to think just what is it going to take to get a lead?

A tory lead in the next week or so remains a possibility but my guess is that it is no longer a probability. Which is a pity because you can't help feeling that an opinion poll lead is all that stands between Labour and a total melt down. What is the point in pretending that Ed is the answer if you are not even winning? I really don't think there is a coherent answer to that question.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

It's too expensive to tunnel, right now. Apparently. And too destructive to go overground. They literally wanted to smash through Camden Markets, one of the biggest tourist attractions in the UK, which generates billions. Insane.

But in all honesty the whole thing is daft. At some point - given that we aren't in Schengen - we would need to check passports of people going to Europe anyway, so "through trains" are a delusion. We might as well do it in Euston or St Pancras. Ergo people from Brum or northern cities or Scotland will have to get off at Euston, then stand on a travelator for 3 minutes (the latest plan) then get their passports checked, then get on a new train at Kings X.

Camden's a shithole. Demolishing it to build a decent railway would improve the area.

As for your ludicrous suggestion that the markets generate billions? Lay off the Morrisons Amarone.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

Hm, perhaps scope for a future project to tunnel it. Is a bit stupid not to do it at the same time though.
    I think the real answer to this is political.

Cameron charged 'Professor' Higgins with the task of reducing overall cost (to defuse Labour criticism and to gain cross-party support) and to increase investment and employment in the North (to woo the desolates to the Tories).

Higgins obliged. The periphery of any large infrastructure is always the first to be chopped in austere times, so starting in the North protects that area from later cost cutting. It also builds demand and encourages 'joined up' thinking. That makes it much easier for a government to approve the join at a later date.

With current costs of the London link being £500-£700 million the scale of investment required, even after a long delay, will always be within reach for government capital expenditure.

I think Josias is right that it will reappear under a revised plan once work gets underway in the provinces.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Who wants to go all the way from Newcastle to Cologne by train? Flying is better. London to Brussels or Paris just about works, but it's almost more convenient (and cheaper) to fly to Amsterdam rather than take the train.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

Just enjoying your non denial.
    Been drinking very heavily have you 'arry?

LOL

Which one is lying? Come on chum, speak up!

• Options

AndyJS said:

Who wants to go all the way from Newcastle to Cologne by train? Flying is better. London to Brussels or Paris just about works, but it's almost more convenient (and cheaper) to fly to Amsterdam rather than take the train.

here is another thing I have always wondered about Eurostar. Given that an official language of one the the two countries it goes to is Dutch, why are all the signs bilingual in English and French?

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

LOL

Couldn't give a toss. Just laughing at your tweet list.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fear of flying.

Many northerners have never seen an aeroplane let alone boarded one.

It really is that desolate up there.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Competition. Some will be happy to sit on a train for 8 hours to get somewhere they can fly in 2 to save £££.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

LOL

Couldn't give a toss.
    Then is was pretty dumb to start whining about the story, wasn't it 'arry?

*chortle*

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    When did Comres do the fieldwork? anyone know??
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    DavidL said:

Frustratingly close for the tories but no banana. 3 polls in a row showing a Labour lead of 1%. What are the odds on that? Natural variation and a desire of a headline should have moved one over the line. And now a tel poll showing an improvement but a bigger gap.

I am not sure it gets much worse for Labour than this. Their leader has confirmed himself as a prat, they are falling apart in Scotland, their bank is up the spout and Ed Balls is still shadow Chancellor. Rather than relying on wishful thinking about trends tories need to think just what is it going to take to get a lead?

A tory lead in the next week or so remains a possibility but my guess is that it is no longer a probability. Which is a pity because you can't help feeling that an opinion poll lead is all that stands between Labour and a total melt down. What is the point in pretending that Ed is the answer if you are not even winning? I really don't think there is a coherent answer to that question.

It's worth a reminder, I think, that in 2010 the vote share was:

CON 36
    LAB 29
    LIB 23

And that wasn't enough to give Cameron a majority.

LOL100
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Witless NeoCon fools.

LOL

Couldn't give a toss.
    Then is was pretty dumb to start whining about the story, wasn't it 'arry?

*chortle*

What story - was chortling at your bhand of mherry men.
  • Options

You might find some more info in the comments here. They usually source the fieldwork dates pretty quick.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8690

• Options

Friday to Sunday, inclusive.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Will Orkney and Shetland join the micro nationalists?
    As Scotland debates splitting from the UK, some of its islands are now demanding the right to their own independence vote. Where will it all end?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2014/mar/24/will-orkney-shetland-join-micronationalists-independence-vote
  • Options

Will Orkney and Shetland join the micro nationalists?
    As Scotland debates splitting from the UK, some of its islands are now demanding the right to their own independence vote. Where will it all end?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2014/mar/24/will-orkney-shetland-join-micronationalists-independence-vote

ROFL
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

@SeanT

Camden's a shithole. Demolishing it to build a decent railway would improve the area.

As for your ludicrous suggestion that the markets generate billions? Lay off the Morrisons Amarone.
    Camden's a shithole. OK, tell that to my neighbours. This is literally 2 minutes walk from my flat:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37251643.html

Heh.
    Drive over the canal from Parkway, to Regents Park and you might as well be journeying to the Moon. You're deluding yourself if you think that Arlington Road is the Outer Circles little cousin.

The Park is Bentleys and serenity, Camden is 'dogs on string' and the horrors of Chalk Farm and deprived council estates.

If you had the cash, you'd be off to the former like a shot, or somewhere decent south of Hyde Park.
This discussion has been closed.