Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s railway renationalisation poll that Bob Crowe (1961

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s railway renationalisation poll that Bob Crowe (1961-2014) never saw

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited March 2014
    There's a problem with the CON numbers. They add up to 90 (50/26/14). It'll be interesting to find out which number's wrong - I'd guess it should be 60 agree.

That aside, that's a remarkable consensus to renationalise. Does nobody remember British Rail any more? If people are expecting fares to fall under a government-owned business, they're in for an unpleasant surprise.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    RIP Bob Crow - definitely will be missed by all those who care about the railways.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited March 2014
    How many people actually travel regularly by train? If you do you realise that the bit that keeps breaking is the signals and track and they already are nationalised. The train companies should point this out in their announcements.

'The train is 10 minutes late, owning to a government owned and operated points failure'

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    taffys said:

How many people actually travel regularly by train? If you do you realise that the bit that keeps breaking is the signals and track and they already are nationalised.

Yes - but it had to be renationalised only after the privatised industry made a disastrous hash of it!

• Options
    Bob Crow wasn't a dinosaur. Sure, he wasn't everyone's cup o'tea, but he was possibly the finest union leader of our time, at a time when unions have never been needed more by employees.
    Would that my own union could find some of that Bob Crow stardust at the minute.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Rail privatisation ceased to be a party political issue years ago - the insane fragmentation and "divisive marketing" where it is now impossible to tell how much a ticket costs is a public service/consumer issue, pure and simple. The duplication of effort is scary. And it receives more subsidy than BR ever did.
    Let the government bid for contracts as they come up - and take it back bit by bit - just as we allow the French and German governments to do already.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Anorak said:

There's a problem with the CON numbers. They add up to 90 (50/26/14). It'll be interesting to find out which number's wrong - I'd guess it should be 60 agree.

That aside, that's a remarkable consensus to renationalise. Does nobody remember British Rail any more? If people are expecting fares to fall under a government-owned business, they're in for an unpleasant surprise.

I think I people remember the cheap prices and are willing to accept the crap service since the private railways are not much improved but the prices have increased by a vast amount.

I'm no nationalisation supporter but railways seem like one of those areas where competition iisn't really enough to drive prices down or quality of service up. The way the franchise system works does not engender competition in the same manner as air travel, electricity or some other vital national infrastructure.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    As much as anything, this is probably an indication of dissatisfaction with the prices. Yes, you can some great deals if you book in advance, but the price of most on the day tickets and season tickets are outrageous.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

taffys said:

How many people actually travel regularly by train? If you do you realise that the bit that keeps breaking is the signals and track and they already are nationalised.

Yes - but it had to be renationalised only after the privatised industry made a disastrous hash of it!

Indeed. Putting profit ahead of public safety. Who'd a thunk it?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Anorak Thanks for spotting that. I've amended the chart
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    edited March 2014
    There is a brilliant essay by Ian Jack on the Hatfield train crash and the railways generally. Well worth seeking out, whether you're interested in railways or not. He's scathing - in an understated way - about what was lost when privatisation happened.

Off topic: there is no way I am buying a French car again, after my Peugeot burst into flames one Sunday afternoon in Brent X car park while I was still sitting in it. A fire engine never looked so beautiful as it did that day.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    FPT
    As a fellow 52 year old I was quite shocked by Bob Crow's death. He has made his union members much wealthier than they would have been otherwise and that was his job. He was good at it.

As a 52 year old I remember when there were as many union leaders who were household names as politicians. Right now I have no doubt that I could name more members of the shadow cabinet than union leaders. Crow was one of a former generation who used his union position to project a moral stance on the nation. His stance was not one I agreed with but he had an integrity in presenting it that is very rare on any side and especially in the post Blair Labour party.

The broader Labour movement is diminished by his passing. (And I can't help feeling those who made a song and dance about him going away on holiday a couple of weeks ago look pretty stupid too.)
  • Options
    taffys said:

How many people actually travel regularly by train? If you do you realise that the bit that keeps breaking is the signals and track and they already are nationalised. The train companies should point this out in their announcements.

'The train is 10 minutes late, owning to a government owned and operated points failure'

The reason for the delays on our main railways is because tracks full and freight shares same tracks as commuter intercity trains.

https://t.co/iTHbMilQV1 explains just how full the tracks are and how a single issue snowballs.

Also in my opinion provides the best explanation as why HS2 is desperately required.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Republished:

Well, that's the ironing done. I do the ironing, vacuuming and repair all minor household disasters. Such is the life of a retiree. I'm lucky though, my wife is an exceptionally good cook.

Getting back to Bob Crow. I understand that though big and bulky, Crow was a fanatic at exercising in the gym. I have noticed that many exercise freaks have sudden and early deaths.

On the Mini: it's too bloody small for many aged people to get in and out of, thanks to lack of flexible joints. (no not on the car) ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There is a brilliant essay by Ian Jack on the Hatfield train crash and the railways generally. Well worth seeking out, whether you're interested in railways or not. He's scathing - in an understated way - about what was lost when privatisation happened.

Off topic: there is no way I am buying a French car again, after my Peugeot burst into flames one Sunday afternoon in Brent X car park while I was still sitting in it. A fire engine never looked so beautiful as it did that day.

What about the crew, though? Were they all handsome hunks, or was it a "Church Pump", that is, a gargoyle on each corner?
  • Options
    @Mike

Also Bob Crow spells his name with no e
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Carnyx said:

taffys said:

Yet they're still not doing brilliantly:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25133803

Having to manage an expanding network has been a slight (albeit welcome) shock to many of the railway old-timers, who had spent decades managing decline.

Privatisation has been far from a failure. There are other models to be examined (e.g. the concessionary system I am always banging on about), but if they are renationalised, than governments have to guarantee funding, and the change should not throw out the baby with the bathwater:

The railways as a whole exist in some weird half-life between privatisation and nationalisation - they are exceptionally highly regulated, and even more so than flights.

To put it simply: a change of ownership will not automatically cure the railway's ills. Indeed, if done thoughtlessly it could easily make things much worse.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good afternoon, everyone.

If we're having policy by popularity then I look forward to us leaving the EU. We'd also have to re-introduce the death penalty.
  • Options
    @Max

Christian Wolmar asks the question "what is franchising for?" - the trick of course is that no one is able to answer that question.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    One thing that appears to have been forgotten in all the tributes to Bob Crow: namely, he was one of the greatest all-time wearers of a flat cap.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

Cyclefree said:

What about the crew, though? Were they all handsome hunks, or was it a "Church Pump", that is, a gargoyle on each corner?
    The crew were gorgeous!! One in particular will remain long in my memory.

• Options
    Gargoyles have a bad press. They are, after all, there to scare off evil spirits.
  • Options
    Diplomacy: once you've finalised your orders, that's everything done for that turn, right?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The crew were gorgeous!! One in particular will remain long in my memory.

Long in your what? Snigger.

[sorry]
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited March 2014
    Cheltenham:

Not the worst start despite the main bet Irving flopping:

Loss £32 Irving
    Loss £6 Un Ace
    Loss £0 Wicklow Brave (£5 Stan James Free Bet)
    Profit £15 Josses Hill
    ----------------
    Loss £23

But Vantoux part of a double ;)

Hedged Quevega now for the double with Vantoux (CHICKEN YES I KNOW !)

Profit if Quevega loses: £18,
    Profit if Quevega wins: £50.30

Trifolium in the Arkle :O !
  • Options
    I do a lot of travelling in my job and almost never use the train. They do not offer a service that is of the quality or price that would attract me to their service.

In no particular order:
    I absolutely loathe their charging structure which makes any ticket bought on the day seem a total rip off.
    Parking near most railway stations in Scotland is a nightmare and adds considerably to the price of the journey.
    Trains are generally overcrowded and uncomfortable compared with my car. I would rather sit in a traffic jam and have the radio and my hands free phone.
    As a general rule there is not enough trains so the delays if you just miss one are frustrating.
    The internet almost never works on trains in Scotland.

I don't think that most of this has been affected by privatisation one way or the other. With Scotrail the difference between nationalisation and private sector is not obvious. East Coast provides a better service (yes, it is that bad).

My instinctive feel is that the taxpayer is being ripped off by the franchises but a nationalised railway would be getting starved of investment right now and for the foreseeable future. Integration of ownership between the trains and the lines seems an obvious place to start.
  • Options
    @JJ

How does a concession system work?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Salmond wastes £1.25 million (so far) of public money on vanity publishing project;

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26528814
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Interesting poll - reflecting that people favour cheap fares which they think nationalisation would bring. They are wrong - fares will only be cheaper if they are more heavily subsidised out of general taxes. The question therefore shoud be something like -

Which taxes do you want to be increased in order to pay for lower rail fares which are used by less than a quarter of the general population? (I'm guessing the last bit - it may be even less)
  • Options
    Trifolium places so the second race ends neither up nor down

£6 E/W @ 4-1 = Scratch !
  • Options

Diplomacy: once you've finalised your orders, that's everything done for that turn, right?

Yep !
  • Options
    Main event soon !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Anorak

'That aside, that's a remarkable consensus to renationalise. Does nobody remember British Rail any more? If people are expecting fares to fall under a government-owned business, they're in for an unpleasant surprise'

How many people taking part in the poll are old enough to have sampled the offerings of British Rail?

Rolling stock that belonged in a museum,each journey was a magical mystery tour,never quite knowing when the train would depart let alone arrive at its destination,staff with zero concept of customer service and yes,very expensive tickets.

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    I use trains a lot - mainly Midland Mainline ~(private) and London underground (public) . The staff are far nicer on Midland Mainline. Out of all the institutions I encounter I cannot think of a worse staff at interacting with their public than LU. in terms of delays then Midland Mainline are not perfect but half the time this is caused by signal failure (ie network rail) and in terms of fares they are fairly cheap imo (if you book ahead) .

Far better , if you are going to nationalise anything , to start on water or electricity
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

To put it simply: a change of ownership will not automatically cure the railway's ills. Indeed, if done thoughtlessly it could easily make things much worse.

Having your ideological cake and eating it.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, cheers. Deadline's not far off and I wanted to make sure I hadn't cocked up my first move.

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    felix said:

Interesting poll - reflecting that people favour cheap fares which they think nationalisation would bring. They are wrong - fares will only be cheaper if they are more heavily subsidised out of general taxes. The question therefore shoud be something like -

Which taxes do you want to be increased in order to pay for lower rail fares which are used by less than a quarter of the general population? (I'm guessing the last bit - it may be even less)

"Would you like the salaries of senior train fleet operating managers to be reduced to levels commensurate with other civil servants of similar rank, and the cost of capital funding for train operations to be reduced to UK's bond rate rather than a blend of dividend and corporate bond rates, with the savings being used to reduce ticket prices?"
  • Options
    When things are of a good standard there is no need to change things for ideological reasons - I would worry about privatising good state organisations like the BBC as much as nationalising good train companies like ,in my experience Midland Mainline
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@JJ

How does a concession system work?

It's another way of allowing companies to bid for services. It's complex (and I don't profess to understand all the ins and outs), but basically under a franchise, the owner grants the right to the franchisee to run trains. In return, the franchisee accepts some risk and (in theory) pays the owner.

However, the current setup means that the franchisees are not accepting much risk - they just go bust. Also, the system is horribly complex and expensive to run, and the operators are too highly regulated to be given the freedom a franchisee should really have.

Concessions are different: the owner pays a company to run services, which are tightly regulated by the owner. The concessionaire accepts very little risk, but the opportunity for profit and branding are also much less. Much of the risk is put onto the owner: then again, it is under the current system.

There are some about already: the DLR is one, and so is (I think!) the Tyne and Wear Metro.

You also need to add in Open Access operators; these should continue whatever the ownership IMHO. And as ever freight should not be forgotten.

So basically: the franchise system is broken by the over-regulated nature of the railways, and the lack of risk put on franchisees. A concessionary system might be a better fit.

The following may be of interest:
    http://www.railhub2.co.uk/rh4/business/briefs/RHB_franchise.php
    http://www.publicworld.org/files/larailenglish.pdf
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    john_zims said:

@Anorak

'That aside, that's a remarkable consensus to renationalise. Does nobody remember British Rail any more? If people are expecting fares to fall under a government-owned business, they're in for an unpleasant surprise'

How many people taking part in the poll are old enough to have sampled the offerings of British Rail?

Rolling stock that belonged in a museum,each journey was a magical mystery tour,never quite knowing when the train would depart let alone arrive at its destination,staff with zero concept of customer service and yes,very expensive tickets.

I am struggling to spot the respects in which things are now different.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Bob Crow wasn't a dinosaur. Sure, he wasn't everyone's cup o'tea, but he was possibly the finest union leader of our time, at a time when unions have never been needed more by employees.
    Would that my own union could find some of that Bob Crow stardust at the minute.

I'd dispute that.

He had a very confrontational style, which worked short term to lift wages but at a significant cost to consumers and the operation of the business. Now, you could argue that is in the interests of his members (what I would define as the "finest union leader") but I'd argue that a collaborative approach - such as you see in Germany or at JCB or Honda UK - is far more in the workers interests over time.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    DavidL said:

I do a lot of travelling in my job and almost never use the train. They do not offer a service that is of the quality or price that would attract me to their service.

In no particular order:
    I absolutely loathe their charging structure which makes any ticket bought on the day seem a total rip off.
    Parking near most railway stations in Scotland is a nightmare and adds considerably to the price of the journey.
    Trains are generally overcrowded and uncomfortable compared with my car. I would rather sit in a traffic jam and have the radio and my hands free phone.
    As a general rule there is not enough trains so the delays if you just miss one are frustrating.

I don't think that most of this has been affected by privatisation one way or the other. With Scotrail the difference between nationalisation and private sector is not obvious. East Coast provides a better service (yes, it is that bad).

My instinctive feel is that the taxpayer is being ripped off by the franchises but a nationalised railway would be getting starved of investment right now and for the foreseeable future. Integration of ownership between the trains and the lines seems an obvious place to start.

I travel all the time by train and only take the car when it can't be avoided. Services from where I live are mostly frequent, fast and reliable and for a small extra amount £7 I go first class getting free coffee, wifi, newspapers and use of an exclusive lounge at St. Pancras. The journey, as I'll be doing in a couple of hours to London for the ComRes 10th birthday party, is "quality time" when you can get things done.

A real benefit is that you can go to the loo at anytime - unlike when driving.

I think privatisation has made train travel better - it has certainly made it more popular with record numbers being carried.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2014
    Can this really be by Milliband?

Bloody hell, is there a @RMTunion serial killer at large, here's another dead 'un. You lot better watch ya backs... pic.twitter.com/IwjHdir1uI

— Ed Miliband (@EdMilibuddha) March 11, 2014

It makes one wonder.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Its always sad when someone dies too early and obviously, condolences to his family.

But based upon the lefty reaction and BBC News & Sky, Bob Crowe was some kind of saint who will soon be at Comrade Marx's right hand in whatever form of heaven Marxists go to.
    I don't remember his fellow travelers & useful idiots being so universally positive when he was around
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Charles said:

I'd argue that a collaborative approach - such as you see in Germany or at JCB or Honda UK - is far more in the workers interests over time.

It takes two to have a collaborative approach.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2014
    felix said:

"The proportion of NTS [DfT: National Travel Survey] respondents reporting at least one rail trip in their diary week rose from 6% in 1995/7 to 9% in 2005/7."

http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/on_the_move-le_vine_&_jones-dec2012.pdf

http://www.racfoundation.org/data/changing-travel-trends
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

Charles said:

I'd argue that a collaborative approach - such as you see in Germany or at JCB or Honda UK - is far more in the workers interests over time.

It takes two to have a collaborative approach.
    Yes, but to date each time management has tried to collaborate, Crow bit their hand off. And not in a nice way.

In a zero sum repeated game you need to build trust between the two sides. It wasn't possible to trust Crow - he was too trigger happy with strikes for meaningless things.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In no particular order:

I travel all the time by train and only take the car when it can't be avoided. Services from where I live are mostly frequent, fast and reliable and for a small extra amount £7 I go first class getting free coffee, wifi, newspapers and use of an exclusive lounge at St. Pancras. The journey, as I'll be doing in a couple of hours to London for the ComRes 10th birthday party, is "quality time" when you can get things done.

A real benefit is that you can go to the loo at anytime - unlike when driving.

I think privatisation has made train travel better - it has certainly made it more popular with record numbers being carried.

I have been more impressed by rail in England than in Scotland. It may be that First and the lack of competition north of the border is a part of the problem.

I have, however, given up on working on trains after 2 experiences when the parties to a case I was involved in were on the same carriage (it's a small country). In the (unlikely) event that internet is available (again in my experience much better in England, at least on the east coast line) it is a chance to play and catch up with pb but that is rare enough to not swing it in this particular case!

On balance I agree that privatisation is better than it was before but it is a long, long way short of perfect.

• Options
    Well another dreadful ride. Luckily only £3 E/W Wrong Turn, and he certainly was.

Cheltenham Loss: £29.

WD Holywell backers.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

john_zims said:

@Anorak

I am struggling to spot the respects in which things are now different.
    Well, you should open your eyes. Rolling stock is generally newer, more reliable and cleaner than it was (although the newer aspect is slowly diminishing as the stock bought in the early 2000s ages). I have also seen some great customer service.

And we're doing well comparatively in Europe, being second in a survey behind Finland, which has a tiny network:
    http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2013/12/20-britain-has-best-major-rail.html

and have improved the most in Europe since the 1990s (i.e. since privatisation):
    http://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/2013/apr/European-rail-study-report/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I particularly like this Bob Crow quote:

http://www.redmolotov.com/catalogue/tshirts/all/bob-crow-tshirt.html

RIP. A very effective negotiator for the London Underground staff, but only because of their stranglehold on the throat of a nation.

I see Cyclefree was looking for a cheap motor. I had a road trip to Provence in a 2CV once, a great road trip car, albeit slow, but safety was non existent.

Small cars are much safer now. A Fiat 500 has better crash safety than my Saab 900 of a decade ago, and is cheap to insure. Even small modern cars are safer than executive cars of a decade or two ago. Worth a look...

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

RIP Bob Crow - definitely will be missed by all those who care about the railways.

As a regular commuter, I care about the railways, but won't miss Bob Crow, and his resolute stand against modernisation in the supposed interests of safety. Full automation of the London Underground network cannot come soon enough.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I use the train for trips to London and to London airports and also Birmingham airport. However, I nearly always book in advance and with my rail card it is more economic (what would I do with my car in London?).

However, with increasing passenger numbers, many of the main lines are getting under capacity which is inhibiting more frequent trains joining from the branch lines and I have not even started on rail freight opportunities.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

This morning I posed a question about whisky. At lunch I travelled to a friendly whisky shop in Cambridge. With some great help from the assistant, I picked the following 5cl bottles:

Springbank 10 yr
    Bowmore 12 yr
    Macallan 10 yr
    Arran 14 yr (*)
    Robert Burns (another Arran)
    Glenlivet 12 yr

All held in straw in a second-hand Cuban Bolivar cigar box.

It's not a perfect mix of whiskies, but should be okay to give them a sample of the differing tastes. It looks so good I can scarcely bring myself to give it away!

Oh, and I got a 70cl bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail for myself! ;-)
  • Options
    saddo said:

Its always sad when someone dies too early and obviously, condolences to his family.

But based upon the lefty reaction and BBC News & Sky, Bob Crowe was some kind of saint who will soon be at Comrade Marx's right hand in whatever form of heaven Marxists go to.
    I don't remember his fellow travelers & useful idiots being so universally positive when he was around

Perhaps he was the Diana of the Left? 'Farewell Bob, our King of Sparts'.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "The Malaysian government remain baffled by the plane’s disappearance.

Malaysia’s defence and acting transport minister Hishammuddin Hussein tweeted: “Have we missed anything?”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/blog/2014/mar/11/malaysia-airlines-mh370-search-refocused-on-malacca-straits-live-updates
  • Options
    saddo said:

Surely it would be a greater honour to be on Marx's left hand?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Financier said:

I use the train for trips to London and to London airports and also Birmingham airport. However, I nearly always book in advance and with my rail card it is more economic (what would I do with my car in London?).

However, with increasing passenger numbers, many of the main lines are getting under capacity which is inhibiting more frequent trains joining from the branch lines and I have not even started on rail freight opportunities.

Sorry, should read "over-capacity", should stop trying to do three things at once!

• Options
    Well, you should open your eyes.

I sense that what angers people isn't service its price. If and when people get more cash in their pcoket the complaints will fade. Over to you George.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Ishmael_X

'I am struggling to spot the respects in which things are now different.'

Did you actually travel on the railways before 1993?

If it's really so bad and such a rip off,how do you explain the record passenger numbers and the need for more capacity?
  • Options

Off-topic:

This morning I posed a question about whisky. At lunch I travelled to a friendly whisky shop in Cambridge. With some great help from the assistant, I picked the following 5cl bottles:

Springbank 10 yr
    Bowmore 12 yr
    Macallan 10 yr
    Arran 14 yr (*)
    Glenlivet 12 yr

It's not a perfect mix of whiskies, but should be okay to give them a sample of the differing tastes. It looks so good I can scarcely bring myself to give it away!

Thirsty now. That sounds like a good shop, and as it happens I'll be in Cambridge this weekend - which one is it?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

"The proportion of NTS [DfT: National Travel Survey] respondents reporting at least one rail trip in their diary week rose from 6% in 1995/7 to 9% in 2005/7."

http://www.racfoundation.org/assets/rac_foundation/content/downloadables/on_the_move-le_vine_&_jones-dec2012.pdf

http://www.racfoundation.org/data/changing-travel-trends
    Worse than I thought. Why on earth 90% of the population are required to subsidize the travel of the rest is beyond me, especially when most of them are relatively well paid commuters in southern England.
  • Options
    This Is THE race of the festival imo
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Gargoyles have a bad press. They are, after all, there to scare off evil spirits.

"Evil spirits" - You mean Irish, American and Japanese whiskies.

• Options
    The mad separation between the train operating companies and the owners of the track, which is mandated by an EU directive, should be ended. The whole lot should be sold off, and all public subsidy should cease. There is nothing more irritating than rail passengers complaining that the rest of us are not subsidising their preferred choice of transport to the exorbitant extent they never cease to demand.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Off-topic:

Springbank 10 yr
    Bowmore 12 yr
    Macallan 10 yr
    Arran 14 yr (*)
    Glenlivet 12 yr

Thirsty now. That sounds like a good shop, and as it happens I'll be in Cambridge this weekend - which one is it?
    Robert Graham. It's right by Tatties, which I go into regularly, and yet I'd never noticed it. Mainly because it's a smoking shop, and I'm a non-smoker. Recommended, and I had a real laugh with the assistant. They have shops elsewhere as well.

http://www.whisky-cigars.co.uk/
  • Options

I use trains a lot - mainly Midland Mainline ~(private)

Now known as East Midlands Trains.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited March 2014
    On the line between Bedford and Bletchley---the oldest rail line to Bedford by the way---is where I first met OGH, The latter remains excellent and provides a unique service, but the former struggles between ghastly and mediocre.
    From chats I seem to find that essentially all guards would prefer re-renationalisation.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    RIP Bob Crow

If I was in a union he'd be the kind of person I'd want to head it. He put members interests first and said stuff the politics.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

You also need to add in Open Access operators; these should continue whatever the ownership IMHO. And as ever freight should not be forgotten.

But one of the key problem appears to be that there is no spare capacity in the system, and this is going to be a problem whatever system of ownership or operation you have - and it makes Open Access impossible in many places.

Separating the rolling stock from the train operators seems to have been a big mistake - it allowed the rollcos to cream off vast profits and just made it harder for the train operators. I suppose if you could increase track capacity by a large factor then you could allow a free market to operate in the buying and selling of track access, and you could allow any train company to run any train anywhere, provided they've bought the track access.

I don't think there's enough spare capacity in the system to allow that, which means that any train operating company wanting to do anything really different, basically can't.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016
    UKIP among the strongest supporters.

There is no belief stronger than nostalgia. Politicians from 19th century nationalists to 21st century socialists alike have made careers by fostering the belief that the good old days can be made immanent again - not to mention the belief that they were good at all.
  • Options

As a regular commuter, I care about the railways, but won't miss Bob Crow, and his resolute stand against modernisation in the supposed interests of safety. Full automation of the London Underground network cannot come soon enough.
    Even the fully 'automated' Docklands Light Railway carries a crew member for safety reasons.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The good old days were rubbish.
  • Options
    Coalition clashes over free school meals:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26526094

Got to say the idea seems mad. Fair enough to provide free school meals to the poorest, but why offer them to the children of the moderately and very wealthy?
  • Options
    Toms said:

On the line between Bedford and Bletchley---the oldest rail line to Bedford by the way---is where I first met OGH, The latter remains excellent and provides a unique service, but the former struggles between ghastly and mediocre.
    From chats I seem to find that essentially all guards would prefer re-renationalisation.

You might find an improvement on that line in a few years, when the first section of the East-west rail is reopened between Oxford and Bedford. And more when (if?) it reopens all the way to Cambridge and on to the east coast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_Rail_Link
  • Options

RIP Bob Crow

If I was in a union he'd be the kind of person I'd want to head it. He put members interests first and said stuff the politics.

Who are the railways for though; the employees or the passengers?

• Options
    Toms said:

You creep !!

Flattering Mike Smithson by calling him "excellent" and providing "a unique service"

You'll go far on this site.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    taffys said:

Well, you should open your eyes.

I sense that what angers people isn't service its price. If and when people get more cash in their pcoket the complaints will fade. Over to you George.

On this, random straw in the wind time, heard a couple of people talking today in a corner shop. Asked one of the other: "Have you been feeling like you have more money these days?" And the answer when it came was in the affirmative.
  • Options
    I'm going to get hammered for this, but I'm dead against the argument that Crow was a dinosaur because he knew how to get the best for his union members.
    Most on the right are saying he was good for his members interests, but poor for the customer/commuter.
    I can't agree. You can say that, ultimately, every job should only be all about the customer, but to believe that is to believe that prices and costs should be ever cheaper, regardless of the interests of the employees. If we automate everything, outsource everything, send our jobs overseas to make production costs cheaper, we're losing jobs here, making our life harder.

It's naive of me, I know, but we can't all be bankers, lawyers, doctors, software designers, or business owners. Some of us work for relatively low wages. The government have to effing top up the wages hundreds of thousands of people, for god's sake. That's just plain madness. You'll all tell me that people make their own choices, can carve their own career out. I don't believe you.
    Bob Crow fought against that, making a difference for the little guy. We need more like him.
  • Options

But one of the key problem appears to be that there is no spare capacity in the system, and this is going to be a problem whatever system of ownership or operation you have - and it makes Open Access impossible in many places.

Separating the rolling stock from the train operators seems to have been a big mistake - it allowed the rollcos to cream off vast profits and just made it harder for the train operators. I suppose if you could increase track capacity by a large factor then you could allow a free market to operate in the buying and selling of track access, and you could allow any train company to run any train anywhere, provided they've bought the track access.

I don't think there's enough spare capacity in the system to allow that, which means that any train operating company wanting to do anything really different, basically can't.
    Agree with much of that, although they've found space for two OA operators on the southern ECML.

But track capacity is very, very expensive - you do not get much change from £50-100 million, even for a change that will give a small amount of capacity, as at Norton Bridge. There will rarely be enough (especially in the commuter belts during rush hour) to satisfy operators.

The fate of the ROSCOs (the companies that own the rolling stock) is one area the renationalisation bods on here have yet to adequately address.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    JackW said:

Toms said:

You creep !!

Flattering Mike Smithson by calling him "excellent" and providing "a unique service"

Oh no Jack. OGH is far too robustly sure of his true qualities to succumb to flattery.
  • Options
    He put members interests first and said stuff the politics.

His members did well out of his miltancy, but by the end he was over playing the RMT's hand. Would Boris and co even be considering driverless trains if the RMT had been more co-operative?? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Ominous lack of news surrounding "Our Conor" :S
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Bob Crow fought against that, making a difference for the little guy. We need more like him.

All the little guys who struggled to get to work when the Underground wasn't working? Who missed bedtimes with children, meetings, time with loved ones or holidays?

How about the 'little guys' who were injured or lost their lives because they had no other choice than to cycle in even more congested traffic, and ended up underneath a lorry or car?

Crow made a difference to them alright.

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    john_zims said:

@Ishmael_X

'I am struggling to spot the respects in which things are now different.'

Did you actually travel on the railways before 1993?

If it's really so bad and such a rip off,how do you explain the record passenger numbers and the need for more capacity?

Yes, I have been travelling by train since the seventies. "Record passenger numbers" is meaningless if it is an absolute record (there may be more people travelling by train, because there are more people) and because the market is to a great extent captive: if you work in a city you might be able to drive to work, but unless you are on the main board you won't be able to park once you get there.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I'm going to get hammered for this, but I'm dead against the argument that Crow was a dinosaur because he knew how to get the best for his union members.
    Most on the right are saying he was good for his members interests, but poor for the customer/commuter.
    I can't agree. You can say that, ultimately, every job should only be all about the customer, but to believe that is to believe that prices and costs should be ever cheaper, regardless of the interests of the employees. If we automate everything, outsource everything, send our jobs overseas to make production costs cheaper, we're losing jobs here, making our life harder.

It's naive of me, I know, but we can't all be bankers, lawyers, doctors, software designers, or business owners. Some of us work for relatively low wages. The government have to effing top up the wages hundreds of thousands of people, for god's sake. That's just plain madness. You'll all tell me that people make their own choices, can carve their own career out. I don't believe you.

TFS spot on.

Capitalism as we knew it has moved on. I put it down to 1989 and the opening up of the global economy. To date none of our politcal parties has sat down and thought what it all means and how we need to change as a result.
  • Options

All the little guys who struggled to get to work when the Underground wasn't working? Who missed bedtimes with children, meetings, time with loved ones?

How about the 'little guys' who were injured or lost their lives because they had no other choice than to cycle in even more congested traffic, and ended up underneath a lorry or car?

That's a crap reply. If you blame Bob Crow because cyclists die on our roads, because successive governments have never had a clue about how to make cycling safe, or deal effectively with traffic congestion and management, I really don't know what to say to you.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

RIP Bob Crow

Like schools, hospitals and councils - for the employees innit ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

All the little guys who struggled to get to work when the Underground wasn't working? Who missed bedtimes with children, meetings, time with loved ones or holidays?

The bloated wages and pension rights for LU staff that are caused by its monopoly cause prices to rise for the 'little guy' who is a tube traveller. The main reasons why tube prices are high is that the wages are too high for the job done.
    I agree that its not Bob Crow's problem and that his job was for his members interests but no reason for anyone else to think that fondly of him or his union
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, indeed. Globalisation means there'll be consistent downward pressure on ordinary wages, because immigrants will be educated and motivated enough to come here and do jobs for less, and we're competing against other countries that pay much less (like China), so factories can and will (and have) more elsewhere.

Of course, if the media weren't superficial when it comes to politics, the electorate disinterested and the political class insulated and often mediocre we could have a proper discussion about this.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

All the little guys who struggled to get to work when the Underground wasn't working? Who missed bedtimes with children, meetings, time with loved ones?

That's a crap reply. If you blame Bob Crow because cyclists die on our roads, because successive governments have never had a clue about how to make cycling safe, or deal effectively with traffic congestion and management, I really don't know what to say to you.

Reread what I wrote.

He can be partly blamed for the deaths and injuries of those inexperienced cyclists who were forced to use that form of transport due to strike action.

If the trains had been running, they wouldn't have been on two wheels.

• Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited March 2014
    TGOHF said:

RIP Bob Crow

Like schools, hospitals and councils - for the employees innit ?
    Yes and no. Of course the pupils, patients and residents should come first, but the employees need a living too, unless you want us to be a big commune, working for each other? How's that idea worked out in the past?
  • Options

Congratulations - Adrian Harper himself would have been proud of that one.
  • Options

Got to say the idea seems mad. Fair enough to provide free school meals to the poorest, but why offer them to the children of the moderately and very wealthy?

Ah, the Lib Dem policy that the Lib Dems strongly opposed only a few years ago when Labour introduced it in various boroughs.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Neil said:

Apologies for posting a view that you find indigestible. I'll remember to be more considerate in future.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

The people that most benefit from affordable travel, food, telecoms etc ARE the little guy. If you ramp up wages on the Underground way above the market rate, that is basically a poll tax on everyone commuting to work. As a share of income, the burden falls mainly on millions of low income Londoners. And all this so Tube drivers can get paid more than twice the average wage. This isn't a policy that helps the working poor. It's a racket to benefit a few lucky sods.
  • Options

Neil said:

It's a pleasure Neil.

Nothing constructive to say?

It would be impossible to follow such a wonderful spoof and foolish to try.
  • Options
    Toms said:

JackW said:

Toms said:

You creep !!

Oh no Jack. OGH is far too robustly sure of his true qualities to succumb to flattery.
    Don't you believe it @Toms ....

Last year Mike succumbed to the flattery of @davidherdson who said of OGH :

"Mike Smithson's bald spot was the greatest undiscovered landmark of the nation and should become a scheduled monument."

And now Herders has a weekly Saturday column on PB !!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Neil said:

Ah, the Lib Dem policy that the Lib Dems strongly opposed only a few years ago when Labour introduced it in various boroughs.
    I think free school meals is fair enough. I mean if you are going to insist on a child going to school (as the state as done since 1870?) and pay for the cost of teaching that child then why get anal and charge for the extra bit of cost relating to providing a meal in the day.

There is also a stigma still about getting free school meals due to parent's income which cannot be nice for the child
This discussion has been closed.