Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukraine: how far will Putin go?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukraine: how far will Putin go?

There are two sorts of country in the world: superpowers and everyone else.  Superpowers can – and often do – act as they see fit, constrained only by domestic factors or the opposition of other superpowers.  The rest exist only to the extent that the superpowers allow, a fact that this week’s events have brought into stark focus.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I don't think it is reasonable to talk about the ethnic majority population in Crimea being pro-Russian without mentioning that this is only the case because the historic population, the Crimean Tatars were ethnically cleansed in the 1940s and shipped off to Siberian camps. The Crimean Tatars today support the new Kiev government, and are facing a campaign of intimidation as a result.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

I don't think it is reasonable to talk about the ethnic majority population in Crimea being pro-Russian without mentioning that this is only the case because the historic population, the Crimean Tatars were ethnically cleansed in the 1940s and shipped off to Siberian camps. The Crimean Tatars today support the new Kiev government, and are facing a campaign of intimidation as a result.

That is the same argument that the Irish nationalists use to deny the people of Northern Ireland their right to self determination. One can only picture de Valera arguing that the only reason that the people of Antrim are pro-Union is because is they were planted there by the Crown etc.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Socrates said:

Were the Tatars in an overall majority pre-1944?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    "Putin’s decision to deploy Russia’s forces into a sovereign state against the wishes of the current government."

There's a Russian naval base in Crimea. They have an agreement to have forces there up to a certain limit. Part of the reason the Western response has been so floundering is Putin hasn't actually done anything except move some pieces into attacking positions.

(Also, lest we forget, the current government came about as a result of a western-backed coup.)

"Russia invaded Georgia to ‘protect’ ethnic Russians in 2008"

That began with a western-backed coup as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Revolution

"We should remember what kicked all this off: Kiev’s desire to look to Brussels rather than Moscow."

Technically true if by Kiev you mean West Ukraine but if you mean Ukraine as a whole then it's the other way round. The western-backed coup was to topple the relatively more pro-Russian side because they won the last nation-wide Presidential election and canceled moves to join the EU and NATO.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,377
    Soviet 1939 Crimea Census, the final one before Operation Barbarossa:

Russians 49.6%
    Crimean Tatars 19.4%
    Ukrainians 13.7%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_Republic_of_Crimea#Ethnic_groups
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2014
    Looks like a Malaysian Airlines 777-200 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing has gone down...

239 people of 13 nationalities on board.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RodCrosby said:

Looks like a Malaysian Airlines 777-200 from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing has gone down...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/08/us-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUSBREA2701720140308
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited March 2014
    I wonder if Oscar Pistorius will be the Madame Caillaux de nos jours.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2014
    3 Americans, 7 Australians, 2 New Zealanders, 1 Italian, 1 Austrian, 1 Dutch on board. No Brits mentioned...
    Mostly Chinese and Malaysians.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Thanks to the various people who explained about "Eck" being a diminutive form of "Alex", and the subsequent conversation about the various forms of Alexander / Alex / Alec / Xander etc.

When Prince George was born, I was 2/3rds right in predicting/wanting his name to be "Alexander Louis". I wanted "Louis" because of the gorgeous Prince Louis of Luxembourg, but I also wanted "Alexander" because it's the name of two of the most gorgeous men in the world: (a) Alex Pettyfer, and (b) Skandar Keynes. Skandar's real name is Alexander but they call him Skandar because of his Lebanese ancestry.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2014
    RodCrosby said:

3 Americans, 7 Australians, 2 New Zealanders, 1 Italian, 1 Austrian, 1 Dutch on board. No Brits mentioned...
    Mostly Chinese and Malaysians.

2Brits, I believe. Not that their nationality matters. RIP
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    Is David seriously suggesting that some form of military action by the West might ever have been seen as a possibility by Putin - even if Syria had been bombed or some rebels armed?

There is no way on God's earth the West would ever have intervened in that way, against Russia, in an area that is clearly in Russia's zone of interest - it has bases there for heaven's sake.

Domestically, Putin had no other option but to act. Like it or not Russian nationalism inside Russia is a profound and powerful force. To be perceived to have left ethnic Russians unprotected and at the mercy of Ukrainian nationalists would have been disastrous for him.

What has happened in Ukraine is terrible, dreadful, unpleasant. To all intents and purposes Putin is a despot. But he is one that controls energy supplies into large parts of Europe, a vast army and nuclear weapons. And all of that applied before the Syria vote. This is realpolitik at play, just as it was in Georgia five years ago.

Putin was seen by the West as the least worst option in Russia, primarily because although he is a nasty piece of work he is pragmatic, intelligent and rational. Give him his zone of influence - ie the ex-USSR the Baltic States excepted - and he'll leave the rest of the world, including Eastern Europe and the Baltic States, alone. We helped to create him, we've spent 15 years accommodating him and we've done it because if it wasn't him in charge in the Kremlin it might be a much less predictable, less pragmatic Russian nationalist with a Yeltsin-like taste for the sauce.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think that part of the reason that Putin put his troops in charge in Crimea was the risk of the pro-Russian factions getting out of control, and starting some real violence. So far this has been a non-violent deployment, and long may it stay this way. It would be hard to resist the result of a plebiscite in Crimea, though it would be better to have neutral observers there to ensure no intimidation.

The situation in the other regions is going to be more contentious. I cannot see plebiscite by oblast being agreed, even if that were the best way out.

Ukraine means border or edge (as does the Kranj region of Slovenia etc) and much of what is now Eastern and Southern Ukraine was part of the Ottoman Empire, and settled by ethnic Russians after it was taken by Catherine the Great as a protection against encroachment by other powers. Borders in Eastern Europe do not match ethnicity and culture as well as in Western Europe, being rather more recently drawn.

Trying to make ethnicity the deciding factor in borders and nations is a rather twentieth century concept though. One of the strengths of the EU is making these borders less important, as without a higher structure borders act more as barriers than portals. We do not want to see the mass population exchanges and expulsions that came about after the first and second world wars, so as to align ethnicity and state.

Russia was reacting to events rather than directing them, and has done so pretty peacefully so far. The violence happened before, not after Russia got involved. The real cause is the collapse of the Ukranian economy, in part due to endemic corruption. Fix that and most of the other problems will sort themselves.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This has been a foreign policy catastrophe for Vladimir Putin, and now he is trying to salvage something from the wreckage. Ukraine has become - if we let it - a western European country rather than a Russian satellite.

If we get this right, we can extend western European values and prosperity to another 54 million people. And destabilise Russia's deeply corrupt regime. That's the important thing happening right now. Crimea is a sideshow.

The EU did a fantastic job in Warsaw Pact Europe. It's time to do the same in Ukraine.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    RodCrosby said:

Am about to take a transatlantic 777 today, and this has made me a tad more nervous than usual... very sad news.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    antifrank said:

This has been a foreign policy catastrophe for Vladimir Putin, and now he is trying to salvage something from the wreckage. Ukraine has become - if we let it - a western European country rather than a Russian satellite.

If we get this right, we can extend western European values and prosperity to another 54 million people. And destabilise Russia's deeply corrupt regime. That's the important thing happening right now. Crimea is a sideshow.

The EU did a fantastic job in Warsaw Pact Europe. It's time to do the same in Ukraine.

It could be a polarising event. A relative few people in surrounding countries will want to stay within the Russian sphere of influence for language, cultural or historical reasons, but it could well push more away, i.e. towards Europe. Russia and its satellites may become slightly larger, but the boundary between it and the rest of the world might become firmer.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    I have friend at work who is from Sevastopol. She speaks Russian, not Ukrainian, has family in Russia and hopes these changes will bring her a Russian passport. She also mentioned the Tatars (as Muslims who sided with Hitler and were consequently sent to Siberia) who have returned to their 'homeland' but will not want it to be ruled by Russia. I guess you can't please everyone.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2014
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Am about to take a transatlantic 777 today, and this has made me a tad more nervous than usual... very sad news.
    777 is a safe plane - doesnt like bombs though. Transatlantic security good though.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

777 is a safe plane - doesnt like bombs though. Transatlantic security good though.
    I hadn't actually thought of that, I was thinking of technical failure. I guess we'll see what the investigation shows.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

I think that part of the reason that Putin put his troops in charge in Crimea was the risk of the pro-Russian factions getting out of control, and starting some real violence. So far this has been a non-violent deployment, and long may it stay this way. It would be hard to resist the result of a plebiscite in Crimea, though it would be better to have neutral observers there to ensure no intimidation.

The situation in the other regions is going to be more contentious. I cannot see plebiscite by oblast being agreed, even if that were the best way out.

Ukraine means border or edge (as does the Kranj region of Slovenia etc) and much of what is now Eastern and Southern Ukraine was part of the Ottoman Empire, and settled by ethnic Russians after it was taken by Catherine the Great as a protection against encroachment by other powers. Borders in Eastern Europe do not match ethnicity and culture as well as in Western Europe, being rather more recently drawn.

Trying to make ethnicity the deciding factor in borders and nations is a rather twentieth century concept though. One of the strengths of the EU is making these borders less important, as without a higher structure borders act more as barriers than portals. We do not want to see the mass population exchanges and expulsions that came about after the first and second world wars, so as to align ethnicity and state.

Russia was reacting to events rather than directing them, and has done so pretty peacefully so far. The violence happened before, not after Russia got involved. The real cause is the collapse of the Ukranian economy, in part due to endemic corruption. Fix that and most of the other problems will sort themselves.

Another thoughtful and thought-provoking post by Mr Fox.
    One thought it provokes in me is; how different are the Russian and Ukrainian languages? Are we in a “Scandinavian” situation?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited March 2014
    Putin's point is that the regime in Kiev is not legitimate and that is why he will not negotiate with them because that will confer some legitimacy on them.

He argues it is not legitimate because it was an unconstitutional overthrow of a democratically elected president who can only be deposed, according to the Ukraine constitution, by impeachment. Furthermore there are some very unsavory characters with fascist backgrounds in the new regime who pose a threat to Ukrainians who lean towards Russia. The new anti-Russian language "laws" might be only the start.

I can see Putin's point. The West was very quick to recognise the new regime because it is very much in the interests of the West and against the interests of Russia. Realpolitik indeed.

Until we are able to see the conflict from Putin's point of view and not simply brand him as an opportunistic thug we are not going to help resolve the conflict.

The first step I would suggest is for the West to work with Russia on steps to legitimise the government of Ukraine including revisiting the aqreement made the day before the President was forced to flee for his life.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

I hadn't actually thought of that, I was thinking of technical failure. I guess we'll see what the investigation shows.
    The 777 is a very safe plane. Over 1,100 have been built, and before this incident, there was only one hull loss involving fatalities (the crash-landing of the plane at SFO last year where three people sadly died).

I'm a terrible flyer, but the 777 would make me feel relatively safe. A 787, on the other hand ...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    SO -

I don't think it's true that Putin is the West's choice now, nor was he ever. The US and Europe has done almost nothing to help Putin assume or retain power. Frankly, I doubt that he is the least worst option. Medvedev by himself may be better from the West's point of view (and from Russia's neighbours). There are probably others. It doesn't really matter: Putin reigns ascendant. The way in which Bush rode roughshod over his opposition to Iraq probably meant he never could be: he has learned that lesson well.

As an aside, there were plenty of analysts at the time who made similar comments about Stalin and how he was a moderating influence against the real hardliners, when in fact he himself was the hardest of hardliners.

The question, however, is whether the Ukraine *is* to be regarded as Russia's backyard, rather than an independent state with its own right to self-determination. I do note that Russia has bases in the Crimea in the introduction (though it doesn't have the right to blockade Ukrainian bases there), which is one reason why I believe the best solution is to accept the fait accompli, despite the dubious process, and then grant the remainder of the Ukraine NATO membership. As you say, membership without recognising Crimea's transfer would be tantamount to declaring war.

What I am saying in the intro is that had the NATO countries not got into a funk over Syria - either taking decisive action or taking no action because they saw no reason to intervene - Putin may have been a good deal more reticent because as it is, he knows there'll be no price to pay.

Regarding the revolution, it was backed but not encouraged by the West. There is a difference (and yes, I did mean Kiev as a city in the intro rather than as shorthand for the country - but then in revolutions, capturing the capital is usually enough). Why not, if it's what they want. The previous regime was corrupt - why support it simply because it was elected some time ago. In any parliamentary democracy, its failings would surely have brought it down some time ago; in a genuine democratic presidential one, he'd have been impeached.
  • Options

I'm a terrible flyer, but the 777 would make me feel relatively safe. A 787, on the other hand ...

The return leg is a 787.. not for a few weeks though (enough time to forget about this!)
  • Options

Domestically, Putin had no other option but to act. Like it or not Russian nationalism inside Russia is a profound and powerful force. To be perceived to have left ethnic Russians unprotected and at the mercy of Ukrainian nationalists would have been disastrous for him.

Consider carefully what you have said there: that Putin, on behalf of Russia, has the right to intervene in any other country to protect ethnic Russians, who may not even be Russian citizens. If Ukraine and Georgia are fair game, why not Latvia (where the Russian minority is more than a quarter of the population?), or the other Baltic states? Nato, EU and Eurozone membership notwithstanding? After all, Latvia was part of the Soviet Union for 50 years, it was part of the Tsarist empire before WWI and was never really independent at any point in the long centuries before 1991 bar between the wars, which Russian nationalists would no doubt exclude as an aberration.
  • Options
    SO I saw your tweet about the Economist article on US patent reform. Where can I find a reliable summary?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    ...German-Austrian Anschluss in 1938...

Ehh...?

Stick to COBOL son; Munich was '38 (and Anschluss was when Mussolini started the downfall of European pan-state socialism*). Personally I blame the "Senior Editor": When will Junior replace the out-moded paradigm...?7

* Except in the minds of Lavalite Tromso Trolls.

:waves-at-sven:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    Further thoughts; isn’t Crimea historically Russian, and/or Tartar, and was only made part ofd some sort of Ukraine relatively recently?
  • Options

...German-Austrian Anschluss in 1938...

Ehh...?

Stick to COBOL son; Munich was '38 (and Anschluss was when Mussolini started the downfall of European pan-state socialism*). Personally I blame the "Senior Editor": When will Junior replace the out-moded paradigm...?7

* Except in the minds of Lavalite Tromso Trolls.

:waves-at-sven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschluss

Both the union between Austria and Germany, as per the link above, and the Sudenten Crisis occurred in 1938. Both are relevant to the current Crimean situation, though as I've said, no parallel is exact.
  • Options
    Evolution of a tragedy on t'Internet.

From browsing my usual sites, I have seen the following rumours / speculation / statements of fact:
    1) The plane landed safely in China after an electronics failure.
    2) There was a known Chinese terrorist on board.
    3) It has been shot down by the NK / Chinese / aliens (I made that last one up).
    4) It was pilot error
    5) It was technical / structural failure.
    6) It was terrorism.
    7) The plane lost a wingtip during a ground collision in 2012.
    8) The weather was good.
    9) The weather was bad.
    10) The plane plunged dramatically and changed direction in the last minute of radar contact.
    11) The plane was flying normally.
    12) Pilot and co-pilot become sick simultaneously.
    13) It happened at FL350 (35,000 feet).

Try making some sense out of all of that! On t'Internet, we're all experts now.

It seems as though full details - including names, nationality and DOB - of passengers has been released. If so, it seems rather early for that ...

RIP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @blueberry - why have "homeland" in inverted commas? The Tartars lived there from about 1200 until 1946 when Stalin deported them and then returned as soon as they were permitted to by Yeltsin. Many of them still look to their Khan, although he is keeping very quiet at the moment.

@Barnesian - the anti-Russian language law was vetoed. This does seem to be turning into a fairly moderate and restrained interim government. As for impeachment, Yanochvyk (?spelling) was voted out as leader of his own political party (party of the regions) as well as being voted out of office by an overwhelming majority of a democratically elected parliament. I'm sure you can argue about due process and right to representation but a parliamentary vote is a pretty good way of impeaching someone.

@OldKingCole Russia conquered Crimea in 1783 and it was transferred to Ukraine in 1954
  • Options
    David - You say "The previous regime was corrupt - why support it simply because it was elected some time ago. In any parliamentary democracy, its failings would surely have brought it down some time ago; in a genuine democratic presidential one, he'd have been impeached."

Read it again. Do you really believe that or are you post-rationalising? Would you will that as a universal rule as part of international law?

The agreement made the day before the President fled reduced the powers of the president and made provisions for new presidential elections. It was signed by the President and the Opposition. It should be honoured or built on as part of the deal to stabilise the situation. NATO should also back off and make clear that it has no ambition to include Ukraine.

Unless the West gets off its high horse we (but not the US) will certainly be without Russian gas and we may have a bloody war in Ukraine and perhaps beyond.
  • Options
    Yeah, well you get pretty much the same results if you google with 1938 rather than 1936, with the advantage that that's when the event actually took place.

There was an Austro-German agreement in 1936, which might be what you're thinking of? The remilitarisation of the Rhineland also occurred in the earlier year (though obviously, that was already part of Germany).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Perhaps I'm wrong on Ukraine, but this seems like a somewhat Pyrrhic victory for Putin. Yes, the Crimea will join Russia. It's possible some other parts of Eastern Ukraine to do (although the ethnic Russian concentrations are mostly below 20% IIRC).

But there will be (broadly) free and fair elections in the rest of the Ukraine, and it is hard to see them electing a Russian-facing leader.

So, Russia will end up with an increasingly Western-aligned neighbour, whom it is enormously financially exposed to. Oh yes - Russian banks have massive exposure to the economic catastrophe zone that is the Ukraine. Were rUkraine to collapse, it would be terrible for the people there, and for Russia's under-capitalised banking system.
  • Options
    ...the western leaders were intent on behaving like a sports referee, handing out penalties for foul behaviour but with no intrinsic interest in the result, which is no way to conduct foreign policy

No, that's the U.N.'s job - but when the West "goes into" a country somewhere else in the world, isn't it just "cutting out the middle man"?

Question for David Herdson: Would you argue against Cameron/Obama seeking a U.N. vote condemning Putin (OK. he vetoes it, but then we know where we stand - we leave the U.N. and create a "son of U.N." we don't let him into...)?

The reality is that even if Putin set up camps to torture to death all those whose names begin with vowels we would vote against going to war with him. He's got nuclear bombs and effective delivery systems...
  • Options
    Hesletine spoke a lot of sense on QT. Russia hasn't fired a single shot - lets remember that. The elected president in the Ukraine was ousted because there is major division in Ukraine between east and west and those opposed to Russia didn't like the fact that they lost a free election.

So what do we have now? Crimea, historically part of Russia full of Russians, speaking Russian looking at the provisional anti-Russian government in Kiev and deciding they want to part in it. The referendum is the trump card. Two questions - to rejoin Russia, to remain part of the Ukraine with autonomy as they previously had. Whichever way people vote they are given a choice and that choice will have more democratic legitimacy than the Kiev government.

So what should we do? Nothing. NATO especially needs to keep away as the one thing both side in the Ukraine were clear on was their non-interest in NATO membership. And remember that Russia is rather critical in EU gas supply and can dump enough US T-bills to collapse the dollar.

As for the Syria vote crack, I do appreciate the superhuman powers that Tories assign to Labour leaders. Brown single-handedly flogged US mortgages and forced banks to gamble with them, made Bush renationalise half of wall street, and now Milliband is directly responsible for Putin. Personally I am glad that we chose not to be Qatari puppets and massacre Syrian civilians so that they could build their pipeline. And remember that the Russian navy physically separated NATO forces and the Syrian coastline, and China also explicitly warned America that it could crash the dollar if it chose in retaliation.

Its very simple. The west is broke, impotent and clueless. We can no more intervene in Ukraine than we can build a ladder to heaven - all we are capable of is killing wedding guests by drone and reminding everyone that we still have nukes. As do Russia. And China.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

David - You say "The previous regime was corrupt - why support it simply because it was elected some time ago. In any parliamentary democracy, its failings would surely have brought it down some time ago; in a genuine democratic presidential one, he'd have been impeached."

Read it again. Do you really believe that or are you post-rationalising? Would you will that as a universal rule as part of international law?

The agreement made the day before the President fled reduced the powers of the president and made provisions for new presidential elections. It was signed by the President and the Opposition. It should be honoured or built on as part of the deal to stabilise the situation. NATO should also back off and make clear that it has no ambition to include Ukraine.

Unless the West gets off its high horse we (but not the US) will certainly be without Russian gas and we may have a bloody war in Ukraine and perhaps beyond.

To an extent, I'm with Franklin and Jefferson on this one. Revolution is a legitimate means of removing governments that abuse the normal political process to such an extent that it becomes unviable as a means of translating public opinion into political action, or where no such process exists.

Was that the case here? Not entirely, as you say, but nor was the transitional process constitutionally legitimate. Once you start making up the rules as you go along, all bets are off. It seems to be picking at points to support an ousted and clearly corrupt and incompetent regime merely for reasons of procedure.

I'm not instinctively a hawk on international affairs (I was strongly opposed to the war in Iraq), but Putin's actions re Crimea are to my mind unacceptable and to take no meaningful action now would not only betray the rest of the Ukraine, it would betray British interests (and those of other European countries), and invite repetitions down the line.
  • Options
    David

The transitional process agreed between the President and the Opposition was more legitimate than the current revolutionary process - and I'm not sure why you consider the transitional process illegitimate.

I'm not simply "picking at points" I'm talking about the rule of law.

I'm embarrassed by the rhetoric coming from the West. "The rest of the world" will not recognise Crimea as part of Russia.. Read that as "Nato countries will not recognise". I suspect China and a few other insignificant countries will.

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as others see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Interesting article, as always from David. It's a stretch to suggest that Western decisions over Syria were relevant - as others have said, even the most interventionist Western leaders would hardly have sent troops into Crimea.

More importantly, though, it blurs tactics and strategy. What should we want to happen? Surely that most people can live in the countries they feel closest to, rather than being forced by anyone - Putin, the EU, the Maidan, possibly venal politicians, whoever - to accept being ruled by people who they regard as actively hostile to their interests. It's important to realise that there is really deep ethnic hostility here for all kinds of real and imagined past acts - we are not talking England and Scotland, but more like Yugoslavia. The decision to ban the use of Russian for official purposes, even though hastily vetoed, was entirely typical, as deliberately "us and them" as though Plaid came to power in Wales and as its first act banned the use of English for official purposes in Cardiff. Conversely, though, Ukrainians have a legitimate grievance that they've been dominated by Russia for generations when they clearly want to be separate.

If we accept that communities should be largely entitled to choose who they belong to, a reasonable Western poolicy would be to demand international observers in the Crimean poll (which Putin might refuse, but clearly it would weaken his position if he did) and to offer Ukraine NATO membership on condition that they hold regional referenda on which state the local people wish to belong to (which Kiev wouldn't like, but refusing would weaken their moral position). I don't believe the West will do that, since I don't think we are primarily interested in what people want, but rather in strategic advantage. If so, though, we should not engage in moral posturing.

• Options

...the western leaders were intent on behaving like a sports referee, handing out penalties for foul behaviour but with no intrinsic interest in the result, which is no way to conduct foreign policy

No, that's the U.N.'s job - but when the West "goes into" a country somewhere else in the world, isn't it just "cutting out the middle man"?

Question for David Herdson: Would you argue against Cameron/Obama seeking a U.N. vote condemning Putin (OK. he vetoes it, but then we know where we stand - we leave the U.N. and create a "son of U.N." we don't let him into...)?

The reality is that even if Putin set up camps to torture to death all those whose names begin with vowels we would vote against going to war with him. He's got nuclear bombs and effective delivery systems...

Putting forward a UN resolution on Crimea would, as you say, be a PR exercise but I don't see any harm in it.

Leaving the UN isn't an option. Setting up an international version of the Comment Is Free echo chamber is not a means of legitimising action anywhere. The only reason the UN has the respect is does is because it includes everyone.

As for going to war with Russia based on what he does in his territory, no, we won't. It is, however (or should be), a different matter where countries that are part of a military alliance are concerned. Hence the desire of the ex-Warsaw Pact countries to join Nato asap. If belief in that alliance is undermined, the whole structure of our defence system breaks down. If rump Ukraine doesn't want to join Nato, fine - that's their call. But if it does, it should be accepted immediately.

Oh, and we still have Bombs as well. Long may it stay that way. It's the one thing that does deter even superpowers.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

David

The transitional process agreed between the President and the Opposition was more legitimate than the current revolutionary process - and I'm not sure why you consider the transitional process illegitimate.

I'm not simply "picking at points" I'm talking about the rule of law.

I'm embarrassed by the rhetoric coming from the West. "The rest of the world" will not recognise Crimea as part of Russia.. Read that as "Nato countries will not recognise". I suspect China and a few other insignificant countries will.

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as others see us!
    It wad frae monie a blunder free us

I don't consider the transitional process illegitimate; just out of date and superseded by events. I don't think it any more or less legitimate than what followed. Should the opposition have stuck to the agreements struck? That depends on who is meant by the opposition and whether those agreements were representative.

I agree that many countries would recognise a transfer of Crimea after the referendum. I've already explicitly said that the UK and other EU and Nato countries should do likewise, while simultaneously pursuing closer links with the remainder of Ukraine.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Disagree with Davids main point. If this Ukraine crisis had happened before the Syria vote we would be in exactly the same position. Putin has a startegic interest in Crimea he simply cannot ignore and NATO intervention so close to the Russian border is virtually impossible.
  • Options
    The Internet is a wonderful thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1gT033JytU

How else can we understand and explain "societies" failures...?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The only influence we can have on Putin is to hit him where it hurts, in his pocket. The sooner we start fracking, removing the need for any Russian gas, the better.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Nice to see the leftoids use "Pinkie Floyd"'s symbol of fascism. How soon before they engage a pair brain cells...?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    rcs1000 said:

Perhaps I'm wrong on Ukraine, but this seems like a somewhat Pyrrhic victory for Putin. Yes, the Crimea will join Russia. It's possible some other parts of Eastern Ukraine to do (although the ethnic Russian concentrations are mostly below 20% IIRC).

But there will be (broadly) free and fair elections in the rest of the Ukraine, and it is hard to see them electing a Russian-facing leader.

So, Russia will end up with an increasingly Western-aligned neighbour, whom it is enormously financially exposed to. Oh yes - Russian banks have massive exposure to the economic catastrophe zone that is the Ukraine. Were rUkraine to collapse, it would be terrible for the people there, and for Russia's under-capitalised banking system.

I think you're right. And although I'm no expert on the region I'd guess that in free and fair regional referendums, much or all of Eastern Ukraine (though not Crimea) would choose to stay with Ukraine - in terms of good economy and freedom it's clearly the better bet, unless they feel they would be actively oppressed by a Kiev government.

Incidentally, it seems likely that we'll end up with Crimea being part of Russia and everyone else being part of Ukraine without consultation, and tacit acceptance of that all round despite long-term grumbling - much in the way that the shift of the Polish border after 1945 was resisted for many years but eventually accepted. It's rough justice but possibly not that far from what people want, and better than any kind of shooting war.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983
    antifrank said:

And destabilise Russia's deeply corrupt regime.

And this is precisely why Russia has invaded the Crimea.

• Options

Interesting article, as always from David. It's a stretch to suggest that Western decisions over Syria were relevant - as others have said, even the most interventionist Western leaders would hardly have sent troops into Crimea.

More importantly, though, it blurs tactics and strategy. What should we want to happen? Surely that most people can live in the countries they feel closest to, rather than being forced by anyone - Putin, the EU, the Maidan, possibly venal politicians, whoever - to accept being ruled by people who they regard as actively hostile to their interests. It's important to realise that there is really deep ethnic hostility here for all kinds of real and imagined past acts - we are not talking England and Scotland, but more like Yugoslavia. The decision to ban the use of Russian for official purposes, even though hastily vetoed, was entirely typical, as deliberately "us and them" as though Plaid came to power in Wales and as its first act banned the use of English for official purposes in Cardiff. Conversely, though, Ukrainians have a legitimate grievance that they've been dominated by Russia for generations when they clearly want to be separate.

If we accept that communities should be largely entitled to choose who they belong to, a reasonable Western poolicy would be to demand international observers in the Crimean poll (which Putin might refuse, but clearly it would weaken his position if he did) and to offer Ukraine NATO membership on condition that they hold regional referenda on which state the local people wish to belong to (which Kiev wouldn't like, but refusing would weaken their moral position). I don't believe the West will do that, since I don't think we are primarily interested in what people want, but rather in strategic advantage. If so, though, we should not engage in moral posturing.

Cheers, Nick. I did start off with the deliberately exaggerated Hodges-like headline "Ukraine: it's all Ed Miliband's fault", but changed it as I didn't think that sort of throwaway summary sat well with a serious piece beneath it.

By and large I agree with what you've said, in particular your final two sentences. Moral posturing never sits well with strategic thinking and is best avoided as it leads inevitably you into being faced with contradictions or implied policy options that are all impossible. (So does wholly strategic thinking, but it seems easier to prioritise strategic objectives than moral principles).

I was going to mention Gladstone in reference to the above. Referencing him in relation to the Irish problem might be just as relevant!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,983

China

David an excellent article, one element missing though is the Chinese decision to support Russia in this no doubt having its own beady eye on Taipei (In the very long term, certainly not yet)

Expect USA lovebombing of China from a global trade perspective.
  • Options

Nice to see the leftoids use "Pinkie Floyd"' symbol of fascism. How soon before they engage a pair brain cells...?

And do right-whingers have anything constructive to add to the debate or simply sneer?
  • Options
    Here's a practical suggestion from the Hungarian Prime Minister to assist Ukrainians that I can absolutely guarantee that all sensible British politicians can support and will not be the least bit controversial:

http://www.politics.hu/20140306/eu-should-lift-visa-requirement-for-ukrainians-says-orban/

After all, we do want to help Ukraine, don't we?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Putin has run rings round the western duffers. They meddle in Ukraine and when it blows up in their face they whinge like big jessies that Putin is a bully. He must have a laugh when up against big toughies like Cameron and Obama.
  • Options
    One final thought before I have to head out. There are political betting implications to all this, particularly re the US presidency.

If we are heading towards a point where foreign policy / diplomacy becomes more relevant, balancing strength with caution, the Hillary and Kerry's chances have just taken a boost. As, given the lack of alternatives across the aisle, have the Democrats as a whole. The entire Republican field is short. It's remarkable given that Bush was in the White House only recently, but all his officials rule themselves out for one reason or another.
  • Options

Consider carefully what you have said there: that Putin, on behalf of Russia, has the right to intervene in any other country to protect ethnic Russians, who may not even be Russian citizens. If Ukraine and Georgia are fair game, why not Latvia (where the Russian minority is more than a quarter of the population?), or the other Baltic states? Nato, EU and Eurozone membership notwithstanding? After all, Latvia was part of the Soviet Union for 50 years, it was part of the Tsarist empire before WWI and was never really independent at any point in the long centuries before 1991 bar between the wars, which Russian nationalists would no doubt exclude as an aberration.

The Baltic States are now firmly established as in the West's sphere of influence. Putin knows that.

I am not saying Russia has any "rights", I am saying that in certain territories it has always had de facto freedoms to operate and that what happened with Syria made no difference to that. Domestic demand plus long-established realpolitik principles led Putin to do what he has done. Syria is irrelevant.

• Options
    New York Times have got UK and London down to a tee.

London’s Laundry Business
    LONDON — THE city has changed. The buses are still dirty, the people are still passive-aggressive, but something about London has changed. You can see signs of it everywhere. The townhouses in the capital’s poshest districts are empty; they have been sold to Russian oligarchs and Qatari princes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/opinion/londons-laundry-business.html?_r=1
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG Putin will run away like a scared puppy when the Colossus known as Wee Eck straddles the globe.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

SO I saw your tweet about the Economist article on US patent reform. Where can I find a reliable summary?

Outside the trade press you'd be hard pushed to find one. Google has poured tens of millions of dollars onto "research" and lobbying efforts to bring about changes that suit its business model. Their arguments totally dominate mainstream media coverage, White House thinking and legislative proposals. It's frightening how a debate can be so massively distorted in the way it has been.

• Options

The Catalan has effectively banned the use of Spanish for all official purposes in Catalonia.

• Options
    I always worry about politicians (or anyone else) with Windsor knots in their ties.
  • Options
    One thing to note about Crimea is that there are plenty of other groups outside a mother country who will be watching with interest. Parts of southern Slovakia and Romania are majority ethnic Hungarian, and parts of Macedonia are majority Albanian. Both nationalities have those who dream nationalist dreams.
  • Options

MG Putin will run away like a scared puppy when the Colossus known as Wee Eck straddles the globe.

Richard , Eck will have no need to try and act tough like Dave, he does not have a wee willy complex. Eck will concentrate on Scotland and not illegal wars and meddling in other countries internal affairs.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

LONDON — THE city has changed. The buses are still dirty, the people are still passive-aggressive, but something about London has changed. You can see signs of it everywhere. The townhouses in the capital’s poshest districts are empty; they have been sold to Russian oligarchs and Qatari princes.

Quite an article. How jealous are they in New York?

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    malcolmg said:

meddling in other countries internal affairs.
    Like telling them to share a currency?

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Happy international women's day everyone.

Here's to hoping that our parliament and political process will look far more representative of the people it seeks to serve in the future.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I love it!
    It also says a lot about what education the so called educated are getting.

Ahh, sweet irony. Russian Foreign Minister referred to as 'so gay lover of' in subtitle gaffe http://t.co/dWNrk8uwiL pic.twitter.com/aKL8x4WN67

— HuffPost UK (@HuffPostUK) March 7, 2014
  • Options
    MikeK said:

I love it!
    It also says a lot about what education the so called educated are getting.

Ahh, sweet irony. Russian Foreign Minister referred to as 'so gay lover of' in subtitle gaffe http://t.co/dWNrk8uwiL pic.twitter.com/aKL8x4WN67

— HuffPost UK (@HuffPostUK) March 7, 2014

Urrrm, your point is? Most subtitles of this sort are produced automatically by speech-to-text machines, meaning you get all sorts of hilarious transcription errors.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Obama seems absolutely disinterested in any foreign intervention. He had to be pushed into Libya by us and the frogs. One suspects he doesn't want to add a foreign misadventure to his legacy.

I've long said we should spend more on Defence.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I love this

pic.twitter.com/Xe0HlVZV3i
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG Eck will be the supreme ruler, the nations of the world will bow before him, he will educate the masses, enrich his own countrymen, release serfs from slavery, once he sorts out what he is going to use as dosh..
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Obama seems absolutely disinterested in any foreign intervention. He had to be pushed into Libya by us and the frogs. One suspects he doesn't want to add a foreign misadventure to his legacy.

Which areas would you spend it on? Manpower and small kit, logistics, or the big-ticket items that can swallow up billions?

A significant problem is trying to define the threat our military is supposed to deal with. Up to 1989 it was the Soviets; in the 1990s there was a little focus on large powers in the Gulf; from 2001 onwards it was insurgencies and c/t.

Each of these requires different sorts of kit and, to a certain extent, training.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, I'd start by focusing on what we need to defend sovereign territory, most notably the Falklands and Gibraltar.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

A magnificently stupid article. I particularly loved these lines:

"Come nightfall, the elevators are full of African cleaners, paid next to nothing and treated as nonexistent. The acres of glass windows are scrubbed by Polish laborers, who sleep four to a room in bedsit slums. And near the Shard are the immigrants from Lithuania and Romania, who broke their backs on construction sites, but are now destitute and whiling away their hours along the banks of the Thames.

The Shard is London, a symbol of a city where oligarchs are celebrated and migrants are exploited but that pretends to be a multicultural utopia"

Virtually any of this guff could have been used to describe New York over the last hundred years. A capitalist city building towers and getting rich, with cheap immigrant labour, that nonetheless boasts about its multiculturalism.

And there's the rub. London is what New York was, London is making the money that New York used to make, which annoys Americans, and which is the entire basis of the writer's venom, as far as I can see.

He's also factually wrong about "dirty buses". They are cleaner than I have ever known them, and far cleaner than public transport in almost any American city.

Yah. Boo. Sucks.
    Well, one of the valets would say that. You're right about the buses, though.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    "Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, gets it: you pay them, you own them. Mr. Putin was absolutely certain that Britain’s managers — shuttling through the revolving door between cabinet posts and financial boards — would never give up their fees and commissions from the oligarchs’ billions. He was right."

London's Laundry Business.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/opinion/londons-laundry-business.html?_r=0&referrer=
  • Options

MG Eck will be the supreme ruler, the nations of the world will bow before him, he will educate the masses, enrich his own countrymen, release serfs from slavery, once he sorts out what he is going to use as dosh..

Richard, you have some warped mind. He will , if lucky , run the country as efficiently as previously. Only sad unionists imagine some demented dictator rather than an everyday politician getting on with his job. Sorry to disappoint you.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, I'd start by focusing on what we need to defend sovereign territory, most notably the Falklands and Gibraltar.

Good choices.

Although a military threat to Gibraltar would lead to us taking on Spain, a fellow EU country that might well mean a much wider conflict. And I doubt the Argentinians have the wherewithal to threaten the Falklands - their military's in a much worse state than it was in 1982.

I'd add c/t operations, special forces, disaster relief and especially a Navy capable in theory at least, of keeping our sea lanes open. The biggest threat we've faced in several wars is blockading, and we've only narrowly won each time.

Whilst doing all this, make the forces and weaponry as flexible as possible.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

"Come nightfall, the elevators are full of African cleaners, paid next to nothing and treated as nonexistent. The acres of glass windows are scrubbed by Polish laborers, who sleep four to a room in bedsit slums. And near the Shard are the immigrants from Lithuania and Romania, who broke their backs on construction sites, but are now destitute and whiling away their hours along the banks of the Thames.

The Shard is London, a symbol of a city where oligarchs are celebrated and migrants are exploited but that pretends to be a multicultural utopia"

Virtually any of this guff could have been used to describe New York over the last hundred years. A capitalist city building towers and getting rich, with cheap immigrant labour, that nonetheless boasts about its multiculturalism.

And there's the rub. London is what New York was, London is making the money that New York used to make, which annoys Americans, and which is the entire basis of the writer's venom, as far as I can see.

He's also factually wrong about "dirty buses". They are cleaner than I have ever known them, and far cleaner than public transport in almost any American city.

Yah. Boo. Sucks.

He also claims that we have "betrayed" America by not backing her up on anti-Putin sanctions.

Betrayed??

I must have missed the moment when Obama actually threatened anything serious, or did anything notable in Syria, for that matter. Obama is a pusillanimous boffin bowing to the realities of Realpolitik, Brits are going back to their buccaneering past instead of invading other countries as America's obedient spaniel.

Good.
    back to licking your masters boots valet.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, history's full of things happening which weren't foreseen. Plus, if we have the forces to keep Gibraltar and the Falklands safe they could be used for other things (we are a naval power, after all, as you say).

But, it won't happen. Cameron's soft on defence, Miliband would worry about the carbon emissions of frigates and Clegg would want to hand over command to Brussels.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Not only that - London Public Transport is far more egalitarian than NY - where riding the subway is the preserve of the poor......

• Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Yah. Boo. Sucks.

He also claims that we have "betrayed" America by not backing her up on anti-Putin sanctions.

Betrayed??

I must have missed the moment when Obama actually threatened anything serious, or did anything notable in Syria, for that matter. Obama is a pusillanimous boffin bowing to the realities of Realpolitik, Brits are going back to their buccaneering past instead of invading other countries as America's obedient spaniel.

Good.
    back to licking your masters boots valet.
    What does that make you, as a Scot, forced to lick the boots of the bootlicking Londoners like me? The lowest of the low? And yet you're still going to vote No, so you must enjoy the taste of leather.
    We just laugh at you and your insecurity
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Good morning, everyone.

Which areas would you spend it on? Manpower and small kit, logistics, or the big-ticket items that can swallow up billions?

A significant problem is trying to define the threat our military is supposed to deal with. Up to 1989 it was the Soviets; in the 1990s there was a little focus on large powers in the Gulf; from 2001 onwards it was insurgencies and c/t.

Each of these requires different sorts of kit and, to a certain extent, training.
    Personally, Mr. Jessup, I spend serious sums on the RN because in terms of national defence that is the area we are vulnerable to an external threat and where we have run down our capabilities too far. We have good ships and boats but not enough of either to sustain the current tempo of operations let alone an increased threat. Get the Navy back up to about 60,000 strong with 25-30 escorts, 12 submarines, both carriers (take the F35's away from the RAF and make the FAA a sensible sized coherent force).

The army at 80,000 is probably at about the right size if not a little too big (forget the nonsense plan for 30k reserves), but probably needs rebalancing - lose some more cap badges and put back the engineering and logistics enablers that have been cut recently. Any land operations we are likely to get involved in will be optional wars.

Rebuilding the RN is a ten year plus project but one capability that was cut that urgently needs to be rebuilt is maritime patrol aircraft, whether operated by the Crabs or the RN, I don't care but for an island nation dependent on sea trade not to have an MPA capability is asking for trouble. The P8 production line is in full swing so we would be able to buy off the shelf from the Yanks.

None of the above need necessarily cost too much more than we are already spending on defence. The Japanese have a defence budget or the same sort of scale as ours but get much more out of it, we should look closely to see how.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    malcolmg said:

Putin has run rings round the western duffers. They meddle in Ukraine and when it blows up in their face they whinge like big jessies that Putin is a bully. He must have a laugh when up against big toughies like Cameron and Obama.

When you say "runs rings around", do you mean he's really pleased that he's lost rUkraine as a Russian satellite state?

Or do you mean he's overjoyed that the Russian banking system may go bust under the weight of unpaid loans from Ukranian corporates?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,982
    IOS said:

Here's to hoping that our parliament and political process will look far more representative of the people it seeks to serve in the future.

Sadly IOS it already does. It seeks to serve a ruling elite with little knowledge of or interest in the wishes of the majority of the population. As such it is a perfect reflection of its masters.
  • Options
    Someone was asking earlier about Schumacher:

The family of F1 legend Michael Schumacher have been informed by doctors treating him that the chances of recovery are now so slim that only 'a miracle' can save him.

Today the 45-year-old winner of seven grand prix titles has been in an artificially induced coma for 69 days since badly injuring his brain during a low-speed ski accident in the French Alps on December 29. Most artificial comas last for a period of two to three weeks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575531/Doctors-tell-Michael-Schumachers-family-miracle-save-say-reports.html#ixzz2vMvN1Vjd
  • Options
    On Schumacher: if he'd stayed on at Mercedes in 2013 he would never have been injured. He never skied when he was racing, because he didn't want to risk injury.

It doesn't look good.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    Suffolk Uni 2016 New Hampshire

•Rand Paul 12.21%
    •Chris Christie 11.50%
    •Jeb Bush 9.39%
    •Paul Ryan 9.15%
    •Jon Huntsman 8.22%
    •Scott Walker 6.57%
    •Marco Rubio 5.63%
    •Mike Huckabee 5.40%
    •Ted Cruz 4.93%
    •Scott Brown 4.69%
    •Bobby Jindal 4.23%
    •Rick Santorum 2.35%
    •Undecided 14.32%

Who would be your second choice?
    •Chris Christie 12.26%
    •Ted Cruz 11.70%
    •Marco Rubio 11.14%
    •Jeb Bush 10.86%
    •Rand Paul 10.03%
    •Mike Huckabee 7.80%
    •Paul Ryan 5.29%
    •Scott Walker 5.01%
    •Scott Brown 4.18%
    •Jon Huntsman 3.34%
    •Rick Santorum 3.06%
    •Bobby Jindal 2.79%
    •Undecided 12.53%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,117
    PPP Arizona GOP nomination 2016

•Ted Cruz 16%
    •Rand Paul 14%
    •Chris Christie 12%
    •Jeb Bush 11%
    •Mike Huckabee 11%
    •Paul Ryan 8%
    •Scott Walker 8%
    •Marco Rubio 4%
    •Bobby Jindal 2%
    •Someone else/Not sure 13%

Arizona General Election 2016

•Jeb Bush (R) 45%
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 44%

•Hillary Clinton (D) 44%
    •Chris Christie (R) 41%

•Hillary Clinton (D) 46%
    •Rand Paul (R) 43%

•Hillary Clinton (D) 47%
    •Mike Huckabee (R) 41%
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

Yah. Boo. Sucks.
    I think you re right about that article and the comparison between London and New York. That said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me London these days is a dump with some nice bits and I was born and brought up there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

When you say "runs rings around", do you mean he's really pleased that he's lost rUkraine as a Russian satellite state?

Or do you mean he's overjoyed that the Russian banking system may go bust under the weight of unpaid loans from Ukranian corporates?
    Robert , more likely the money being poured in from the west will end up in Russia. Ukraine don't pay their bills they will not be able to borrow in the international markets, it will put a premium on the charges and they will be international lepers. They will not be able to pay pensions and all their major companies will looking to register new offices in Russia. They are better together.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    IOS said:

Check out the fantastic leadership of the Conservative Party in the cause of women's political participation....
    http://order-order.com/2014/03/08/international-womens-day-political-history-for-ingenues/

• Options

On Schumacher: if he'd stayed on at Mercedes in 2013 he would never have been injured. He never skied when he was racing, because he didn't want to risk injury.

It doesn't look good.

MD: Please advise on the danske/yorvic for the following phrase:

Correlation =/= causation.

Sven is at a loose-end (and claims to be good at translations)....

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    Some thoughtful analysis which is avoiding the absurd arguments being displayed by the reactionary hawks or the 'nothing that happens anywhere is any of our business' crowd.
  • Options
    Mr. Thoughts, I know the correlation/causation difference well:
    http://xkcd.com/552/

It remains the case that if he'd remained a racing driver he would not have been skiing.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, might just be an issue at my end, but your icon doesn't appear to be loading.
  • Options
    perdix said:

IOS said:

Check out the fantastic leadership of the Conservative Party in the cause of women's political participation....
    http://order-order.com/2014/03/08/international-womens-day-political-history-for-ingenues/

That pie chart.. "winning here" comes to mind ;-)
  • Options
    Completely agree with @HurstLlama about the Navy - whatever contingency we need to plan for, a strong and flexible navy is going to be a key component of it. America wants to project power, it sends the navy, Russia wants to deter the west from the Qatar funded removal of Iranian gas supplies through Syria, it sends the navy, China wants to rattle sabres in one China Sea or other, it sends the navy.

For an island nation the navy is the right answer, and has been for centuries. So for all of the budget-led abuse thrown at our new aircraft carriers, they are what we need. Unless they are right for everyone else and not for us suddenly....
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Video showing Nuland giving a talk about all the money and effort the US has put into my detaching Ukraine: five years and five billion are mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2y0y-JUsPTU#t=340

What's actually happening here is about achieving something called "full spectrum dominance."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-spectrum_dominance

It's standard imperial stuff with a new name but the critical point is the US are trying to achieve this *after* they off-shored their economy and can no longer support their military. What this means is they had a very narrow window c. 1990 to 20?? to achieve this goal before they had to start paring away at their military strength.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26326969

It's like the last throw of the dice before they have to contract and the world goes back to being a collection of regional superpowers.

Which is why they're being so reckless about starting a big war.
  • Options

Completely agree with @HurstLlama about the Navy - whatever contingency we need to plan for, a strong and flexible navy is going to be a key component of it. America wants to project power, it sends the navy, Russia wants to deter the west from the Qatar funded removal of Iranian gas supplies through Syria, it sends the navy, China wants to rattle sabres in one China Sea or other, it sends the navy.

For an island nation the navy is the right answer, and has been for centuries. So for all of the budget-led abuse thrown at our new aircraft carriers, they are what we need. Unless they are right for everyone else and not for us suddenly....

Assuming they ever get some planes for them
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    SeanT said:

Betrayed??

Good.

Obama has been logistically supplying the more moderate elements in the FSA for years, and sent ships to the region ready to launch strikes agaisnt Syrian government installations, until Russia was forced to commit to disarming Syria's chemical weapons.

As for Ukraine, Obama has now sent fighter planes to the Baltic as a clear sign that military involvement is not off the table and is also pushing serious financial and economic sanctions. That is the sort of minimum response needed for a clear violation of sovereignty in a nation that has done nothing wrong. Territorial integrity is a vital part of enforcing a stable and peaceful international system, and if that falls apart we will seriously go back to 19th Century imperialist politics where the lesser peoples of the world are just sacrificed. Now, there are some areas where other things become more important, such as enforcing non-proliferation, a response to an attack on your own soil, or to prevent mass slaughter, but none of these apply in Ukraine's case.

This is the sort of stuff great countries need to think about when shaping the world for the better. It seems, as you suggest, that Britain has given up on being one of these, and is instead going back to the mentality it had in the 16th century, where a few got rich off the back off the suffering of others, like the slave traders Drake and Hawkins. We're putting dirty Russian money ahead of a million of 50 million people struggling to be free. It's shameful.

Thatcher was willing to put her neck on the line for Eastern European countries because she actually believed in Western freedom and was prepared to stand up for its spread. Cameron is obviously unfit to fill her shoes.
This discussion has been closed.