Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling lesson of the week: Don’t get too excited about

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling lesson of the week: Don’t get too excited about single YouGov daily poll movements

We’ve got to remember that polls can be subject to a lot of sample variation with, quite often, particular demograpihic segments having to be sharply scaled up or down. If the former then the margin of error for that section increases.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    YouGov bouncing around like a yoyo and as NPxMP says FPT, “ with nothing genuinely happening at the moment.”

Meanwhile: congrats to Bus Pass Elvis on a sterling performance in last night’ Clifton North by-election for Nottingham City Council.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Rejoice! Rejoice!

The evil homophobic bigot who openly condoned an arson attack on the offices of a gay magazine has, at long last, become a rotting corpse

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10681346/Dame-Elaine-Kellett-Bowman.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT: @Avery: Have you Baxtered that compouter?

@Mark Senior: In 2008, the Tory majority was 1138.
    ----------------------------------------------------

Mike, the Toroes should be forgiven for getting a bit excited once in a while. As far as they are concerned these close polls are the real deal, the rest are outliers.

Ramsbottom also used to be a safe Tory seat.

• Options
    Even with a recovery apparently, the voters are saying to the Tories: THanks, but no thanks.

By the way, I sell to Manufacturing British industry only. And my sales per day this quarter is slightly below last quarter !
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

Meanwhile: congrats to Bus Pass Elvis on a sterling performance in last night’ Clifton North by-election for Nottingham City Council.

Don't. You'll make Mark Senior cry.

What do you make of John McTernan's predictions in today's Scotsman? Lab gain
    Caithness and Sutherland. Con gain North East Fife. Con gain Gordon. Con gain West Aberdeenshire. Con gain Berwickshire et al. Even Lab poss gain Inverness.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    surbiton said:

Even with a recovery apparently, the voters are saying to the Tories: THanks, but no thanks.

By the way, I sell to Manufacturing British industry only. And my sales per day this quarter is slightly below last quarter !

Maybe you're not much of a salesman.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    felix said:

surbiton said:

Surby is a Labourite. Far more likely he miscounted his sales transactions.

compouter did the same last night at the Bury count. He calculated it was so close that the candidate would be selected by straw poll after multiple recounts. Turned out to be a 350 seat Tory majority.

Too many lefties can't count beyond the fingers on their hands and place their faith in YouGov outliers instead.

There will be tears in fourteen months, I tell you.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited March 2014
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

compouter did the same last night at the Bury count. He calculated it was so close that the candidate would be selected by straw poll after multiple recounts. Turned out to be a 350 seat Tory majority.

Too many lefties can't count beyond the fingers on their hands and place their faith in YouGov outliers instead.

I think the problem is they only count with their 'left' hands - can't think what they're doing with the other one:)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Mike_Smithson

The "polling lesson of the week", and for all weeks not just this one is :

Keep the polls close but the ARSE closer.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    Off-topic:

After "Lord" Chris Smith and Monbiot's stupidity, it seems wiser heads are prevailing:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26455513

Remember, the Bridgwater tidal barrier was estimated to cost £25 million. Instead, the EA broke sea defences further downstream to create a £31 million bird sanctuary that did f'all to prevent the riverine floods.

Also note, as I have been wittering on about for a while:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26466653

Chris Smith is not fit for purpose. Put an engineer or hydrologist as chair of the EA, not a failed, incompetent politician.

We should be looking after people first, not birds.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,361
    The point in the thread header is well made but there is an unusual amount of volitility in the Yougovs of late. Jumps up and down of 6% (enough to swing the election from the majority of one to the majority of the other if the results were closer) in a single day seems odd and I do not recall this kind of changes in the past.

My understanding was that yougov were using a smoothing technique which meant each poll was something like a 3 day running average with the oldest sample being replaced by the new. Was I wrong or have they changed this?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

I'm sure there will - but whose?

In the meantime, perhaps someone could devise a contraption to measure the proportion of comments on a thread which are basically just abuse. Then OGH could place its output just below the advert and some of us would know whether or not to bother opening up the comments. Especially at this time in the morning...

• Options
    Off-topic:

The Chinese government allow a corporation to default on its onshore bonds, for the first time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26464901

It's about time Chinese investors learnt about risk.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Why do some PBers refer to Alex Salmond as "Eck"?

It is not just PBers. 'Eck' is an affectionate diminutive of the Christian name 'Alexander'. Another popular diminutive for Alexander in Scotland in days gone by was 'Sandy'. One of my dad's pals was a gillie called Sandy Walker, which always struck me as a distinctive name, even as a child. However, you almost never hear it now, perhaps due to the Americans using the same name for girls (eg. Olivia Newton John in Grease).

The best-known example in popular culture is probably 'Wee Eck', from the DC Thomson comic character in Oor Wullie (the Sunday Post etc).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Zoom-Zoom/Eck.jpg

DC Thomson characters are quite commonly used as popular references in Scottish public life. For example, Gordon Brown was often referred to as 'Daphne', for a variety of reasons we will not go into here.

http://www.toonhound.com/broons-2.gif (Daphne is the less-glamorous young lady on the left)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

There will be tears a lot sooner than that. When is Osborne next in Scotland?

• Options

JohnLoony said:

Why do some PBers refer to Alex Salmond as "Eck"?

It is not just PBers. 'Eck' is an affectionate diminutive of the Christian name 'Alexander'. Another popular diminutive for Alexander in Scotland in days gone by was 'Sandy'. One of my dad's pals was a gillie called Sandy Walker, which always struck me as a distinctive name, even as a child. However, you almost never hear it now, perhaps due to the Americans using the same name for girls (eg. Olivia Newton John in Grease).

The best-known example in popular culture is probably 'Wee Eck', from the DC Thomson comic character in Oor Wullie (the Sunday Post etc).

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Zoom-Zoom/Eck.jpg

DC Thomson characters are quite commonly used as popular references in Scottish public life. For example, Gordon Brown was often referred to as 'Daphne', for a variety of reasons we will not go into here.

http://www.toonhound.com/broons-2.gif (Daphne is the less-glamorous young lady on the left)
    You may well be right Stuart. I know of several "Sandys" (all male) in my generation but there is not one in my son's year at school and it seems to have fallen severely out of favour.

I have never known an Eck though. I wonder if that was (DC Thomson aside) more of a north east thing.

The influence of DC Thomson on the older generation (I have a good friend who consistently referred to as Pa Broon, largely as a result of his moustache and size) is hard to overstate. I don't believe that this will be the case with future generations. It is another common reference point that will not survive the digital age.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been covered:
    Beppe Grillo sentenced to four months in jail for high-speed rail protest:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/03/us-italy-grillo-idUSBREA2217Y20140303
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26422237
  • Options
    felix said:

surbiton said:

My sales in the last 4 Tory recession years went up by 71%.
  • Options

Given that he is an Italian politician he will presumably only serve the sentence if he thinks he can make political capital from doing so?

Their criminal justice system is truly bizarre.

• Options

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Quite. There'll be tears before bedtime for YES on 19th September as a day of resounding defeats echo through Scotland.

Who will you blame for the YES defeat and why will it be so resoundingly rejected ?

• Options
    DavidL said:

Given that he is an Italian politician he will presumably only serve the sentence if he thinks he can make political capital from doing so?

Their criminal justice system is truly bizarre.
    Well, I guess there will be appeals. But four months for this particular offence seems rather extreme from what we know. A political trial?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

You may well be right Stuart. I know of several "Sandys" (all male) in my generation but there is not one in my son's year at school and it seems to have fallen severely out of favour.

I have never known an Eck though. I wonder if that was (DC Thomson aside) more of a north east thing.

The influence of DC Thomson on the older generation (I have a good friend who consistently referred to as Pa Broon, largely as a result of his moustache and size) is hard to overstate. I don't believe that this will be the case with future generations. It is another common reference point that will not survive the digital age.

I was at school with a Sandy, though I don't recall meeting one since.

I also worked for a number of years with a guy known universally as Fat Boab
  • Options
    Another way of judging British economic activity is to keep an eye on Avery's yellow box output.
    Judging by that, the UK is heading for a slump ! There hasn't been one for days ! I am almost missing them. Avery, not really !!!

The Tax receipts in January, the biggest month of the year ! Say, no more !
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Re: YouGov

In today's YouGov as compared with that of yesterday, the 2010 LD split has reverted in favour of Labour (37/36) and the 2010 Cons support by the Cons is down from 80 to 74.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Interestingly, did you know that 71% of statistics are made up on the spot?

As far as the thread header...

What does this tell us that we don't already know?
    Underlying message is that the Labour lead is fairly consistent, and this must be a worry for the governing parties.
    There is still time for this to swing back, but it does seem like all the Tory eggs are in the recovery basket.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Avery, are you for postal votes or against ?
  • Options

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Underlying message is that the Labour lead is fairly consistent, and this must be a worry for the governing parties.
    There is still time for this to swing back, but it does seem like all the Tory eggs are in the recovery basket.

Just to be pedantic,

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,957
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

There are a number of right wing PB posters that luxuriate in their comfort zones. Anything that does not reconfirm their views of Labour supporters as feckless, immigrant, sponging, public sector workers in it only for themselves just does not compute.

• Options

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Just to be pedantic:

2009 100
    2010 120
    2011 141.6
    2012 154.63
    2013 170.86

No bad eh ! For a Labourite !!
  • Options
    Question for NPXMP: Where do you stand on Halal butchery?

I know you are a tireless promoter of animal welfare and have been quite active in the animal testing debate. I'd assume that allowing chickens and sheep to be slaughtered by simply having their throats cut is difficult to justify - as most abbatoirs are obliged to stun animals before before inflicting the fatal injury.

Is there not a direct conflict between the rights of the animal to a humane death and the religious views of Islam? I wonder what the law says on this one.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Just to be pedantic:

2009 100
    2010 120
    2011 141.6
    2012 154.63
    2013 170.86

Well done...
    If we're being pedantic, I don't see what voting Labour has got to do with being a good Salesman.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Ha, the headline is more or less what I wrote on the last thread. Great minds think alike.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I know you are a tireless promoter of animal welfare and have been quite active in the animal testing debate. I'd assume that allowing chickens and sheep to be slaughtered by simply having their throats cut is difficult to justify - as most abbatoirs are obliged to stun animals before before inflicting the fatal injury.

Is there not a direct conflict between the rights of the animal to a humane death and the religious views of Islam? I wonder what the law says on this one.

Why not mention kosher slaughter too?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

"Ooh Hello PBers .... I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy ....."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/roundthehorne/

• Options
    Patrick said:

And what about Kosher slaughter too?

I suspect that this is one subject where officially the policy would be not to have a policy.

• Options

Patrick said:

Good point.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Massively and bewilderingly OT...

Wake up to the smell of bacon... On your iPhone!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,216
    edited March 2014

Off-topic:

After "Lord" Chris Smith and Monbiot's stupidity, it seems wiser heads are prevailing:

Remember, the Bridgwater tidal barrier was estimated to cost £25 million. Instead, the EA broke sea defences further downstream to create a £31 million bird sanctuary that did f'all to prevent the riverine floods.

Chris Smith is not fit for purpose. Put an engineer or hydrologist as chair of the EA, not a failed, incompetent politician.

Monbiot is one of the few people who is assessing this through an understanding of how water moves through the whole catchment. In that he certainly trumps the idiotic Liddell Grainger. I have sympathy with your views on putting an expert in as chair of EA, but having just seen a developer and hedge fund manager (major Tory donor) placed in charge of Natural England, that isn't the way the world works is it? Partisan support is what earns these sinecures - not knowledge of the subject area.

If you think dredging is going to have a significant impact in preventing a repeat given similar levels of rainfall you are going to be sadly disappointed. This will happen again, just as it has before. We would do better to look at patterns of land management and development in the catchment, particularly the increase in arable cultivation.

Miles King has a good summary.. http://anewnatureblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/keeping-a-level-head/

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    JackW said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I worked with a Sandy (male) in Essex until about 20 years ago. Originally from Aberdeenshire he went went back shortly after retiring.
    He’d moved to Essex in his early 20’s, with his wife, and they’d brought up their children there. Both parents had distinctive (and very pleasant) NE Scottish accents; the children though were definitely N Essex!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985

Patrick said:

Halal, Kosher or even the poor conditions the Danish keep their pigs in compared to British ones (See CIWF website) there is no excuse for animals suffering in this day and age.

All animals intended as food should have a life with some degree of stimulation and a quick and clean death if it can possibly be helped.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    For me, "animal rights" are not about the animal but about not degrading ourselves by causing gratuitous suffering that is not otherwise required by our reasonable needs and beliefs. So the conditions for some battery hens are inexcusable, but following sincerely and strongly held religious beliefs is acceptable. We may use animals for medical testing, but only where no options are available and only if we are minimising the harm. Zoos as places of entertainment alone are very suspect if the animal appears unhappy.

The greater the sentience, the more responsibility on us.
  • Options
    Does Halal butchery/Kosher butchery cause unecessary suffering?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

or... "It's okay to eat fish 'Cause they don't have any feelings"
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Just to be pedantic:

2009 100
    2010 120
    2011 141.6
    2012 154.63
    2013 170.86

Well done...
    If we're being pedantic, I don't see what voting Labour has got to do with being a good Salesman.

That was meant for my good friend, Avery. To cheer him up from his gloom measured by his lack of output of yellow boxes.

People who have been to Specsavers will have noticed I did not mention 2008. Well, 2009 was -12.6% on 2008 !! 2010 was, in fact, the bounce back year.

I am hoping that with a change of government next year, a boom will follow.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Does Halal butchery/Kosher butchery cause unecessary suffering?

interesting article from Lib Dem Voice : Clegg Opposes Ban On Halal and Kosher Slaughter
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

Sigh. I don't have a problem swatting flies or pouring boiling water on ants. I would have a problem with shooting cats with air rifles. On this I believe most would agree with me.

In terms of what we eat, I believe that as omnivores we may reasonably choose to eat a fully varied diet. I happily eat red meat. But with higher animals, we should seek to ensure that so far as consistent with our needs and beliefs they are treated well in life and in death. With fish, we should not catch 10,000 and throw 9,999 away.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Just to be pedantic:

2009 100
    2010 120
    2011 141.6
    2012 154.63
    2013 170.86

Well done...

That was meant for my good friend, Avery. To cheer him up from his gloom measured by his lack of output of yellow boxes.

People who have been to Specsavers will have noticed I did not mention 2008. Well, 2009 was -12.6% on 2008 !! 2010 was, in fact, the bounce back year.

I am hoping that with a change of government next year, a boom will follow.
    Given Labour has butchered manufacturing I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • Options

Off-topic:

Monbiot is one of the few people who is assessing this through an understanding of how water moves through the whole catchment. In that he certainly trumps the idiotic Liddell Grainger. I have sympathy with your views on putting an expert in as chair of EA, but having just seen a developer and hedge fund manager (major Tory donor) placed in charge of Natural England, that isn't the way the world works is it? Partisan support is what earns these sinecures - not knowledge of the subject area.

If you think dredging is going to have a significant impact in preventing a repeat given similar levels of rainfall you are going to be sadly disappointed. This will happen again, just as it has before. We would do better to look at patterns of land management and development in the catchment, particularly the increase in arable cultivation.

Miles King has a good summary.. http://anewnatureblog.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/keeping-a-level-head/
    I've said passim that dredging would not have stopped the flooding on the Levels this year; however, it may well have helped in the previous two winters when they flooded (and the link above seems to show that). It may also have prevented the worst excesses this year.

Sadly, Monbiot applied what works in upper catchments - slowing water's progression downstream - with what works in lower catchments - i.e. to speed the water out to the sea, or delay in in specially-built storage channels. It's made much more complex in the case of the Levels by the low-lying land and tidal nature of the rivers. In that, Monbiot showed that he had absolutely no clue about watercourses.

Miles King comes from a wildlife conservation angle, and this should always be secondary to the interests of humans. It's what's got us into this mess in the first place. He also says the 'blame game' started with Pickles, ignoring Maria Eagle's rather unfortunate comments much earlier against Patterson. He comes across as someone who puts wildlife ahead of people.

BTW, I agree about political appointees. When they've failed as badly as Smith, they should go.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Yet another Sandy :

Sandy Shaw -"SNP - Puppet in a String Vest"

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
    On 18th September you say you love me madly, I'll gladly, be there
    Like a puppet on a string

The SNP is just like a merry-go-round
    With all the fun of the fair
    One day I'm twenty points down
    Then I'm up in the air
    Eck, Are you leading me on?
    Tomorrow will you the pound be gone?

I wonder if that day that, you'll say that, you care
    If you love Referenda madly, I'll gladly, be there

I may win the Holyrood vote
    Then I'll lose the YES/NO vote
    In or out, there is never a doubt
    That Osborne's pulling the strings
    Sturgeon's all tied up to you
    But where's she leading me to?

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
    If you say you love the voters madly, I'll gladly, be there

Like a puppet on a..... string

• Options
    the Ramsbottom ward was hilarious last time, counting and recounting until 4am with neither side willing to concede a result (as Labour had shot up to 25 seats, Tories/Pox on 25 with the final pivotal seat in the balance). Tellers protested, we all went home. Then a drawing of straws to win Labour an unlikely seat for a majority of 1. Now its a majority of 9 even with the return of a safe Tory seat to them.

Yes, proof indeed of swing back....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    One Nation Ed, pisses on the Paddies.

"Boyd Black, secretary of the Northern Ireland Constituency Labour Party, accused Mr Miliband of an “undemocratic, 1950s, colonial governor mindset” at a Westminster meeting yesterday.

“The cumulative effect of Labour’s stance over time is the single most politically destabilising factor in Northern Ireland,” he told the meeting in London. “We have failing sectarian politics in Northern Ireland, not because of the flags protesters or the dissidents or the on-the-runs, but because the Labour Party suppress grown-up politics.”

http://sluggerotoole.com/2014/03/05/ni-tories-lend-their-weight-as-labour-ni-accuse-ed-miliband-of-undemocratic-1950s-colonial-governor-mindset/

Ed the bigot.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

antifrank said:

or... "It's okay to kill bacteria with antibiotics 'Cause bacteria don't have any feelings".
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Off-topic:

@Monksfield

Having been brought up on a farm on the N Someret levels, I disagree with you, King and Monbiot.

The farmers managed the water levels in the rhynes and rivers and ensured that any winter flooding was controlled and did not threaten either communications or habitation - without any interference from the EA, EU or any other uninformed body.

The rhynes were lightly dredged every Spring/Summer which was essentially weed removal and the rivers dredged to remove silt. At the same time this built up the banks.

Whilst the severe weather would have brought more flooding than normal, the usual good drainage management that had been stopped would have prevented most of the scenes that we saw so vividly on TV.

• Options
    Maybe we should decriminalise cannibalism of lefties - they're not very sentient!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2014
    Patrick said:

Maybe we should decriminalise cannibalism of lefties - they're not very sentient!

Eating AbSurbiton would be a vegetarian act.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I worked with a Sandy (male) in Essex until about 20 years ago. Originally from Aberdeenshire he went went back shortly after retiring.
    He’d moved to Essex in his early 20’s, with his wife, and they’d brought up their children there. Both parents had distinctive (and very pleasant) NE Scottish accents; the children though were definitely N Essex!

I knew a Prof. Sandy Florence who was at Glasgow Uni. A very great man
  • Options
    Cameron attacked for copying Lib Dem policy commitment:
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26475636
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046
    Blue_rog said:

JackW said:

Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

I knew a Prof. Sandy Florence who was at Glasgow Uni. A very great man
    Went on to London. And you’re right. IIRC, he retired to Scotland a few years ago.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Wiltshire Ethandune result was a Con hold but a big swing to Lib Dems

Con 480 LD 372 UKIP 236 Ind 192 Lab 69

No news of the Burnham , Norfolk result
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Sigh. I don't have a problem swatting flies or pouring boiling water on ants. I would have a problem with shooting cats with air rifles. On this I believe most would agree with me.

In terms of what we eat, I believe that as omnivores we may reasonably choose to eat a fully varied diet. I happily eat red meat. But with higher animals, we should seek to ensure that so far as consistent with our needs and beliefs they are treated well in life and in death. With fish, we should not catch 10,000 and throw 9,999 away.
    No need for the sigh, I was being slightlyvery facetious.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Yes, but there was no Elvis candidate taking votes off the Lib Dems there ;-)

http://redrag1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/red-rag-lib-dems-hit-new-low-beaten-by.html
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    There is Sandy Walkington, LD PPC for St Albans
  • Options
    JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Quite. There'll be tears before bedtime for YES on 19th September as a day of resounding defeats echo through Scotland.

Who will you blame for the YES defeat and why will it be so resoundingly rejected ?

I prefer to do my autopsies post-mortem. Unlike you and George Osborne, I don't yet know if Scotland is going to win or lose on 18 September. It is customary to let the electorate have their say before declaring a winner.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2014

Yep, a whopping 3% swing to L/Dems and a more mundane swing of 17.5% to UKIP. ;)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Avery, are you for postal votes or against ?
    Avery falling out with the truth again. As I posted last night,it was actually the Tory Leader on Bury council who said it could go to a recount. Obviously not noticing they were 350 votes ahead. Your lies are as good as you polling crossover predictions.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    Re. Eck, Alexander also has the the diminutives Lex, Lexxy and (for the posher sorts) Zander. I had a great uncle Eric who was always called Eck, though I guess he may have had Alexander as a second name.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Mr. Divvie, wasn't Xander one of Buffy's friends?

Edited extra bit: and Xar was a major character in the Deathgate Cycle.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    edited March 2014
    DavidL: there is as you say more YG volatility but it's actually the previous stasis that was odd. In random samples from a big pool you'd expect exactly the sort of +/- movement shown in Mike's graph.
    Patrick said:

We've discussed this here before, but I think before you joined in. Twoe points:

- When Elliott Morley was animal welfare minister (and whatever his other issues he was genuinely keen on that) he toured the halal slaughterhouses and quietly persuaded all but one to introduce pre-stunning, with the help of a supportive imam who basically said that the Koran was ambiguous and they needn't annoy customers by insisting. He deliberately didn't publicise it to avoid both extreme zealots and extreme Islamophobes from weighing in. Whether the progress has been maintained or slipped back I don't know. Sadly he didn't have any success with the (much smaller in number) kosher slaughterhouses.

- I agree with antifrank and others that treatment should be as good as possible. Probably that should include a requirement for pre-stunning. But I'm wary of people who focus on that - basically slaughterhouses are very grim places and people who focus ONLY on what Muslims and Jews do in the final seconds sometimes have another agenda (I'm sure this doesn't apply to you). A general review of slaughterhouses to make them more humane including the stunning would be great.

• Options

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

I prefer to do my autopsies post-mortem. Unlike you and George Osborne, I don't yet know if Scotland is going to win or lose on 18 September. It is customary to let the electorate have their say before declaring a winner.

You might consider doing your autopsy now as YES is already dead in the water.

This being a political betting site it is customary to put your cash/opinion down before the voters choose as I've yet to find a bookie who's overly keen on letting one wager after the result is known !?!

• Options
    Vince Cable: Ukip supporters could push Scotland out of the UK
    - Business Secretary Vince Cable will tell the Liberal Democrat spring conference that Ukip and Conservative Eurosceptics are "putting at risk the union of the UK" with their "British nationalism".
    ... “You are also putting at risk the union of the UK. How on Earth do you expect to persuade the Scots to ignore the siren voices of nationalism and separatism when you indulge in British nationalism and Euro-separatism?”

... “I meet businesses on a daily basis – from car makers to banks; big and small; British, Japanese, American, Indian, German. They tell me that they invest, or will invest, in Britain because they have guaranteed access to the EU Single Market. But they have other options: if that access is put at risk, they will look elsewhere.”

It comes after a Conservative backbencher said that some members of Ukip are "literally akin to the Nazis".
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10682322/Vince-Cable-Ukip-supporters-could-push-Scotland-out-of-the-UK.html

The 'Project Fear' campaign being run by Alistair Darling and Blair McDougall is a molehill compared to the mountain of shite the Establishment are going to dump on the Brexit campaign.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I know someone who wouldn't!!
  • Options
    F1: pre-season podcast up here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/cff1

18 minutes in. Interesting that they reckon Rosberg's a more engineering-oriented driver than Hamilton, (this being advantageous in 2014).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    JackW said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

This being a political betting site it is customary to put your cash/opinion down before the voters choose as I've yet to find a bookie who's overly keen on letting one wager after the result is known !?!

Jack, stick to being a failed UKipper, your obviously going senile. Pontificating from the deep south shows how out of touch you are. You can wish all you want but it is very far from over as you will see.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Duplicated
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Mr. Divvie, wasn't Xander one of Buffy's friends?

Edited extra bit: and Xar was a major character in the Deathgate Cycle.

Rings a bell.
    I guess one of the most pervasive legacies left by Alexander the Great is the variations of his name in so many cultures & languages.

• Options
    Mr. Divvie, indeed. He's also mentioned in the Koran, I believe (Alexander the Great, not Alex Salmond).
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

You might consider doing your autopsy now as Con Maj is already dead in the water.

Who will you blame for the Conservatives' defeat and why will they be so resoundingly rejected?

Current Ladbrokes' YES price = 7/2
    Current Ladbrokes' CON MAJ price = 7/2

Hmmm... identical prices. And yet, according to Jack YES is dead in the water while CON MAJ is nailed on.

More hot air than a well-used bagpipe.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2014

Vince Cable: Ukip supporters could push Scotland out of the UK
    - Business Secretary Vince Cable will tell the Liberal Democrat spring conference that Ukip and Conservative Eurosceptics are "putting at risk the union of the UK" with their "British nationalism".

... “You are also putting at risk the union of the UK. How on Earth do you expect to persuade the Scots to ignore the siren voices of nationalism and separatism when you indulge in British nationalism and Euro-separatism?”

... “I meet businesses on a daily basis – from car makers to banks; big and small; British, Japanese, American, Indian, German. They tell me that they invest, or will invest, in Britain because they have guaranteed access to the EU Single Market. But they have other options: if that access is put at risk, they will look elsewhere.”

It comes after a Conservative backbencher said that some members of Ukip are "literally akin to the Nazis".
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10682322/Vince-Cable-Ukip-supporters-could-push-Scotland-out-of-the-UK.html

The 'Project Fear' campaign being run by Alistair Darling and Blair McDougall is a molehill compared to the mountain of shite the Establishment are going to dump on the Brexit campaign.Roger Halfon MP (Con) has just labeled UKIP supporters 'Nazis'.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,712

JackW said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

You might consider doing your autopsy now as Con Maj is already dead in the water.

Who will you blame for the Conservatives' defeat and why will they be so resoundingly rejected?

Hmmm... identical prices. And yet, according to Jack YES is dead in the water while CON MAJ is nailed on.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Jack's ARSE.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeK said:

Yep, a whopping 3% swing to L/Dems and a more mundane swing of 17.5% to UKIP. ;)
    Nope , the swing to the Lib Dems was 14% .
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and I noted that as the polls have been indicating the Tories are a lost cause in the north of England. That will fully explain why they took the Bury seat yesterday on a fairly large swing.

Just how much of that 37-41% Labour vote expressed in the polls represents people who actually go out to vote rather than just shout their mouths off?
  • Options

Things I have read on PB regarding the the next UK GE.

Mainly from Tories, the Cons will need around a 7% swing to get a working majority, but it's still all to play for and it'll be the 6 month run-up to the GE that counts.

Mainly from Labour & LDs, it's boots on the ground and gotv that'll be crucial.

*strokes chin*

• Options

MikeK said:

Nope , the swing to the Lib Dems was 14% .
    Funny how Mark gets so excited by a 14 point swing to the Lib Dems is a tiny ward in a council by-election, yet poo-poos the 14 point swing against the Lib Dems in last month's Wythenshawe and Sale East by-election, where tens of thousands of voters were on the electoral roll.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Jack, stick to being a failed UKipper, your obviously going senile. Pontificating from the deep south shows how out of touch you are. You can wish all you want but it is very far from over as you will see.
    To paraphrase defendants at the McCarthy Senate hearings of the 1950's :

"I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the United Kingdom Independence Party"

I bear you no ill will at your crabby disposition as it is clearly a body blow to realize your cherished dream of independence is disappearing like @rcs1000 juvenile Easter egg horde down Mike Smithson's gannet like gullet.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Off Topic

Is Chris Christie a busted flush? Seems up for it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/video/idUSBREA252DO20140306?videoId=288813685
  • Options

Mainly from Tories, the Cons will need around a 7% swing to get a working majority, but it's still all to play for and it'll be the 6 month run-up to the GE that counts.

*strokes chin*

The Tories are addicted to "air war" guff, whereas Labour, the SNP and the Lib Dems are all devotees of boots on the ground and GOTV stuff.

Last Con Maj was in 1992.

Last Lab Maj was in 2005.

Last SNP Maj was in 2011.

Food for thought for the Tories and their BeTory Together chums.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

Clearly the interweb thingy is breaking under the strain in Sweden as neither I or my ARSE have ever projected a Con majority let alone that a "CON MAJ is nailed on."

So plenty of hot air from Sweden - it must be the meat balls.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    edited March 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire.

One word. Wow

Ok, it was as historically accurate as Morris Dancer's observation on the Second Punic War Michael Gove's thoughts on The First World War.

I mean I can't ever imagine Athenian senators debating with each other and saying "Shut your cockhole"

At times it was (deliberately) camper than a row of pink tents, there were some genuinely laugh out loud moments.

But it was an enjoyable, story and visceral treat, if you loved the first one, you'll love this one.

Final thought, I would do horrible, unforgivable things to conquer Eva Green's [moderated]*

*Yes, I know a terrible human being, and deserve to be punished, by her.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902

*strokes chin*

The Tories are addicted to "air war" guff, whereas Labour, the SNP and the Lib Dems are all devotees of boots on the ground and GOTV stuff.

The Tories got more votes winning London in 2012 than the SNP got winning Scotland in 2011.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

One word. Wow

Ok, it was as historically accurate as Morris Dancer's observation on the Second Punic War Michael Gove's thoughts on The First World War.

I mean I can't ever imagine Athenian senators debating with each other and saying "Shut your cockhole"

At times it was (deliberately) camper than a row of pink tents, there were some genuinely laugh out loud moments.

But it was an enjoyable, story and visceral treat, if you loved the first one, you'll love this one.

Final thought, I would do horrible, unforgivable things to conquer Eva Green's [moderated]*

How big a role does Lena Headey have?
  • Options

One word. Wow

How big a role does Lena Headey have?
    A significant role, she's also the narrator, linking the various events together.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @malcolmg wrote :

"Jack, .... your obviously going senile. Pontificating from the deep south shows how out of touch you are"

............................................................................

But clearly @Stuart_Dickson posting from nearby Sweden must indicate a clarity of observation and insight that puts us all to shame.

With such logic how could YES fail ? and yet .....
  • Options
    On topic, polls, bloody hell.

Just when you start to entertain thoughts of a crossover, the Labour lead widens.

Hopefully we'll see the Ipsos-Mori today.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

*strokes chin*

The Tories got more votes winning London in 2012 than the SNP got winning Scotland in 2011.

Didn't Labour win London in 2012? Boris won the mayoral election.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited March 2014
    Virtually no change in today's Populus

New Populus VI: Lab 37 (=); Cons 34 (=); LD 9 (-1); UKIP 12 (=); Oth 8 (=)
  • Options
    The Pistorius trial is fascinating, for a number of reasons, Roxanne Adams being one of them!
    Sometimes, Barry Roux seems so manic, I half expect him to call some poor witness a "fokking prawn"!
  • Options
    JohnO said:

No change?

Ahem, Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

*strokes chin*

Binary election at final round, and around a 20% bigger electorate?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

No change?

Ahem, Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide!
    Um? No kipper change from Monday. Your point being....??
  • Options
    Hmm, what a numpty this Plaid Cymru MP is.

Has he never heard of the British and Irish Lions?

A political spat has broken out after a Plaid Cymru MP questioned how Sam Warburton could captain the Wales rugby team if he considered himself British.

Warburton had said his nationality was British in response to comments from England players suggesting some of their Welsh rivals "hated" England.

Jonathan Edwards MP said on Twitter that it was hard to understand how Warburton could be skipper if he did not consider himself Welsh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26472782
This discussion has been closed.