Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m not convinced that Boris will stand for parliament

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why I’m not convinced that Boris will stand for parliament at GE2015

The timing of the London Mayoral terms was always going to be a problem for Boris assuming that he wants to get back to the Commons and, possibly, run for the leadership when a vacancy comes up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    first?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    FPT:
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Worst day yet for Red Bull. Vettel got in four corners. Not even half an installation lap.

Edited extra bit: as a point of comparison, Caterham's Ericsson (with a Renault engine) has got in over 100 laps. It's not down just to Renault, the Red Bull itself is wrong.

On-topic: couldn't he do both for a limited period of time?
  • Options
    David Aaronovitch‏@DAaronovitch·2 mins
    @Ed_Miliband: The battle to change our party is over. The fight for the future of Britain has just begun." > Very, very Churchillian.

I was thinking more Gandalf at the end of the Two Towers film....
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Re the political quiz

93% Tory , 91% UKIP, 84% lib dem ,30% Green 29% BNP 25% Labour -seems about right in terms of order I would choose to vote for
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited March 2014
    "He could conceivably twin-track – being London Mayor and an MP for a year but that could get very messy and some of the previous statements he’s made on the issue might be difficult to square."

That surely can't be the totality of why he wouldn't do it? Boris is well used to 'messy' by now and seems to thrive on it most of the time. I also somehow doubt he'd be all that bothered about the difference in emphasis between Mayoral and Westminster politics.

What he would be faced with is endless speculation about being the next tory leader but it's not as if he isn't getting plenty of that as it is.

"There would also be the danger in a mayoral by-election of the Tories losing – not something that the blues would like."

It does depend on the seat to a great degree but if anyone could mobilise the tory grassroots it would the the tory conference darling of the past few years.

The flipside to a loss is that a solid win for the tories in a by-election would be treated with analloyed joy and perk them up when they have very little to be happy about right now.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Just to clarify - I don't think the possibility of him standing down as Mayor is great but I do think Boris in a by-election could happen - Hence a by-election win being good for the tories.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Re the political quiz

93% Tory , 91% UKIP, 84% lib dem ,30% Green 29% BNP 25% Labour -seems about right in terms of order I would choose to vote for

Hmm. 96% Lab, 92% Lib, 91% Green... all the way down to 19% Con.

Slightly embarrassing (actually a bit surprising as I think I agree with about 50% of current Labour policy). The most striking thing is that you and I appear to be almost equally (and highly) supportive of Lib Dem policies, but have opposite positions on Lab and Con. I can't see a model that would produce that pair of results unless it attributes a large number of contradictory policies to the Lib Dems, and I'm sure that would be *hugely* unfair.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    'Former Scottish Labour chairman announces support for independence'
    Bob Thomson, a party member for more than 51 years, declared his support for a Yes vote as the campaign reaches the 200 days to go milestone.

He said: "I have been swithering on how to vote in the referendum and have been waiting in vain to hear something positive from Better Together to help me make up my mind."

He cited shadow chancellor Ed Balls' intervention on the currency union as a defining factor in his decision.

"Watching a Labour shadow chancellor make a pact with a right-wing Tory to try and bully Scotland and preserve the dominance of City of London financiers solved my problem," he said.

"Their arrogance has convinced me that there is no chance of a radically fairer Britain being built by these London-centric parties.
    http://news.stv.tv/politics/265822-former-scottish-labour-chairman-announces-support-for-independence/
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, Mr. Thomson seems to have a bloody odd idea of both independence and bullying. You can't leave and demand a currency union as a right.
  • Options

@Ed_Miliband: The battle to change our party is over. The fight for the future of Britain has just begun." > Very, very Churchillian.

You can say that Ed isn't a big enough man to live at Number Ten, or you can liken him to Gandalf. But not both, methinks.

• Options
    Gandalf's overrated. Casts about three spells in all the books.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2014

You can say that Ed isn't a big enough man to live at Number Ten, or you can liken him to Gandalf. But not both, methinks.

Unite aren't very happy.

Unite - which has given Labour £11m since Mr MIliband became leader - will hold a meeting of its executive next week to discuss cutting its Labour affiliation.

http://news.sky.com/story/1219376/labour-party-backs-historic-miliband-reforms

Could be interesting, since it looks as if the COOP cash flow might be drying up too.
  • Options
    I think the line in the film is along "Sauron's wrath will be great, the battle for Helms Deep is over, the fight for middle earth has just begun"
  • Options
    Apologies if this has been mentioned already but the poll on the referendum in today's Sun is quite interesting. It shows a massive gender split. Men are 48% no and 44% yes whereas women are 56% no and only 27% yes. It's also notable that more than twice as many women as men are undecided.
  • Options

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but the poll on the referendum in today's Sun is quite interesting. It shows a massive gender split. Men are 48% no and 44% yes whereas women are 56% no and only 27% yes. It's also notable that more than twice as many women as men are undecided.

There's a referendum? On what?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Why do we still think Ed is crap? Ed is most definitely not crap! He is merely misunderstood, and I put it to you that is the chief reason why he is so maligned and ridiculed by the evil right-wing media.

I am certain you will agree with me that Ed is magnificently charismatic and eloquent. He is an inspiring and refreshing standard bearer for the social democratic tradition in our great nation. Yes, indeed: One Nation. Nay, his performance at the Excel Centre this morning must surely have been amongst the greatest (if not the greatest) ever given by a leader of the Labour Party, or indeed of any party leader! Such magnificence, such poise, such alacrity. Wow! And his wonderful repertoire of jokes would put even Harry Hill to shame!

He is articulate, passionate, an accomplished orator, and I think a real progressive alternative to the smarmy posh boy Cameron.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Mr. Dickson, Mr. Thomson seems to have a bloody odd idea of both independence and bullying. You can't leave and demand a currency union as a right.

Old news. So much for his "swithering". Usual YES dishonesty.
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-i-ll-back-independence-if-there-s-no-second-question-says-labour-figure-1-2280472
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    In the company of three Scottish residents yesterday, a 70+ year old male who moved up from England years ago, a 40 something housewife whose parents moved from England 40+ years ago and her 17 year old daughter (the father’s an “ethnic Scot”).

All intend to vote NO! The 17 year old “might"change her mind.
  • Options

In the company of three Scottish residents yesterday, a 70+ year old male who moved up from England years ago, a 40 something housewife whose parents moved from England 40+ years ago and her 17 year old daughter (the father’s an “ethnic Scot”).

All intend to vote NO! The 17 year old “might"change her mind.

It'll be the Whicker Man for them ....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    By 2015 Boris should be able to tell if he is still significantly popular for being considered as a proper leader or not, which would be no mean achievement given how many years he has managed to be pretty popular by politician standards. If he thinks he has a chance, I'd think he'd find a way to find a seat to stand in the GE even at a late stage, while remaining may (previous statements, who cares - Putin doesn't support interferring in other nations no matter what, even if they ask you...until he does or wants to sell weapons. Boris'd find a way), or if necessary wait until 2016.

But I think he'll run again for Mayor. Enough of the party apparently don't want him as leader, the timing is difficult, and he might consider that being nationally prominent but not constrained by the leadership is better than trying and failing, and obviously many Tories are worried about how to hold on to the city when Boris does step down.
  • Options
    Sorry I should probably have said that the top-line figures in the Poll were. No - 53%, yes 35%. Stripping out don't knows it's 60/40. So virtually no change from You Gov's last poll.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Why do we still think Ed is crap? Ed is most definitely not crap! He is merely misunderstood, and I put it to you that is the chief reason why he is so maligned and ridiculed by the evil right-wing media.

I am certain you will agree with me that Ed is magnificently charismatic and eloquent. He is an inspiring and refreshing standard bearer for the social democratic tradition in our great nation. Yes, indeed: One Nation. Nay, his performance at the Excel Centre this morning must surely have been amongst the greatest (if not the greatest) ever given by a leader of the Labour Party, or indeed of any party leader! Such magnificence, such poise, such alacrity. Wow! And his wonderful repertoire of jokes would put even Harry Hill to shame!

He is articulate, passionate, an accomplished orator, and I think a real progressive alternative to the smarmy posh boy Cameron.

However much you love him, you cant say he's pretty; or can you?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Gandalf's overrated. Casts about three spells in all the books.

Gandalf and co were inspirational beings who organised the forces of the world, not prone to flashy magics. In terms of magic spectacle Gandalf was overrated, but his influence on the war effort was incalculable, and that was his more important role. If Ed M was similarly unflashy (or rather, with bouts of flashiness between mundane achievement) he would be following a very effective approach.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    edited March 2014

Sorry I should probably have said that the top-line figures in the Poll were. No - 53%, yes 35%. Stripping out don't knows it's 60/40. So virtually no change from You Gov's last poll.

That surely can't be right? Your buddy Blair McD at Bettertogether says that this poll shows a 'growing majority want Scotland to remain in UK'.

• Options
    MikeK said:

UKIP and Russia share a common enemy - the EU.
  • Options

I think the line in the film is along "Sauron's wrath will be great, the battle for Helms Deep is over, the fight for middle earth has just begun"

Always a glum one, Gandalf in the later movies. I know people want to make sure everyone knows the job isn't done, but there's time for a little optimism isn't there? I wrote a story once where a gandalf type was making a comment like that and got punched out (it's ok, he was drunk and the other guy was a wizard too, so no major danger).
  • Options
    Surprised North West Hampshire is top of the list for potential seats for Boris. Would have expexted pretty much only London and its immediate hinterland. Once you go London, you never go back again or some such thing.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Afternoon all :)

Well, I took OGH's political quiz - LD first, Green second, Plaid Cymru third with Conservatives and UKIP at the end so no real surprise for me either,

On-topic, Boris made his position crystal clear in the latter stages of the 2012 election when he looked threatened in some polls by a resurgent Ken. He publicly stated he would not seek to return to Westminster during the term of his Mayoralty so that, as Mike says, takes us to 2016.

IF he wants to resign as Mayor, fair enough. If he doesn't wish to seek another term in 2016 and stand down, also fair enough. This has always been the calculated gamble for Boris - he can either be a big fish in a smallish pond or be a medium-sized fish in a bigger pond. Would he want to be an Opposition backbencher and constituency MP after being London Mayor ?

I suspect he's no certainty for Conservative leader - George Osborne and Theresa May, among others, have time to organise among the MPs and unless Boris can get to the final two, whatever strength he has among ordinary Conservative Members won't mean a thing.

Counterfactual histories already exist under the title of "Prime Ministers who might have been" featuring Boris.
  • Options

MikeK said:

UKIP and Russia share a common enemy - the EU.
    At a secret computerised meeting late last night, Farage and Putin agreed to a secret pact of mutual support.
    This morning Farage declared to conference that, "We are marching forward in strength". While Putin mobilised troops already mobilised, and said, "We are marching forward in strength to help our bretheren in Ukraine.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Your buddy Blair McD at Bettertogether says that this poll shows a 'growing majority want Scotland to remain in UK'.

That surely can't be right? The Nats told us there would be a terrible backlash against the speech by Osborne...
  • Options
    @PickardJE: ConHome makes rough calculation suggesting the Waitrose scheme reduces the cost of living by £114 million each year http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2014/03/labours-attack-on-waitrose-free-coffee-clashes-with-every-one-of-milibands-campaigns.html
  • Options

That surely can't be right? Your buddy Blair McD at Bettertogether says that this poll shows a 'growing majority want Scotland to remain in UK'.

How outrageous. A bit like the Yes Scotland spokesman saying this shows that 'No support is on the way down'. Even though this poll shows the No vote up 1% from the last You Gov poll. Shocking to think that politicians might try to spin a poll one way or the other!

I assume you're not seriously labouring under the impression that the Yes side is a spin free zone!
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Hearing that at least one Sunday paper following up #CostaLiving tomorrow.
  • Options

It's apparent that Scottish women are turned off by YES supporters. That probably explains the frustration and bitterness running through the CyberNat outpourings.

• Options

All that effort from the incompetent fop and the chumocracy for nothing.

You would need a heart of stone not to laugh. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    He publicly stated he would not seek to return to Westminster during the term of his Mayoralty so that, as Mike says, takes us to 2016.

Probably, but I don't see it as definitive. The situation has changed, I had to answer the call, etc etc, there are any number of ways he could claim that while that was his firm intention at the time, he now feels obligated to get to parliament sooner.

[Boris] can either be a big fish in a smallish pond or be a medium-sized fish in a bigger pond. Would he want to be an Opposition backbencher and constituency MP after being London Mayor

That's the key for me. I think he'd prefer to stay as a big fish in a small pond than risk not suceeding in the big pond and end up with nothing.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

How outrageous. A bit like the Yes Scotland spokesman saying this shows that 'No support is on the way down'. Even though this poll shows the No vote up 1% from the last You Gov poll. Shocking to think that politicians might try to spin a poll one way or the other!

I assume you're not seriously labouring under the impression that the Yes side is a spin free zone!
    Quite so. If I am to believe both sides' spinning, every single intervention and action from the No side has been a laughable and self destructive failure, and the Yes side have, despite passionate announcements, not had a single policy idea which was thought through or which was not immediately debunked. The spinners, professional and amateur, are getting good work in this debate, even more than the regular ones, I guess because its both a one off event and actually significant, unlike spinning on which side has the best policy on trout farm subsidies, or whatever.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

All that effort from the incompetent fop and the chumocracy for nothing.

You would need a heart of stone not to laugh. :)
    Remarkable isn't it. The shambolic no campaign, led by the incompetent fop stumbling to an 18 point lead. Better Together must be gutted, it's clear that all is lost for the Unionist cause!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Perhaps Boris should be mayor for another term and wait til 2020 when the mayoral and GE cycles will be in sync.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He publicly stated he would not seek to return to Westminster during the term of his Mayoralty so that, as Mike says, takes us to 2016.

Probably, but I don't see it as definitive. The situation has changed, I had to answer the call, etc etc, there are any number of ways he could claim that while that was his firm intention at the time, he now feels obligated to get to parliament sooner.

[Boris] can either be a big fish in a smallish pond or be a medium-sized fish in a bigger pond. Would he want to be an Opposition backbencher and constituency MP after being London Mayor

That's the key for me. I think he'd prefer to stay as a big fish in a small pond than risk not suceeding in the big pond and end up with nothing.

At the very least he would be a kingmaker of sorts even if he couldn't get the leader's job.
    He has to cash in his Mayoral success sooner or later unless he really is entirely happy with being Mayor. It's quite telling how often he strays into tory and party politics beyond his remit and I don't think anyone has ever accused him of a lack of ambition. Getting bored easily, yes. That cuts both ways. Sure he might well get very bored with being a constituency MP again but what else does he really want to do as Mayor and is the allure of that beginning to lose it's charm? It's also much better to leave on a high note as he won't have missed just how diminished Livingstone became after doing this for so long and then losing. He also won't have missed that he still didn't beat Livingstone by that much so Boris must know that future Mayoral wins are hardly guaranteed.

It all comes down to Boris and if he was unhappy about all this speculation he has a spin operation of his own to kill it if he really wanted to.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kle4 said:

Quite so. If I am to believe both sides' spinning
    You mean to say that both sides were never going to agree and it will boil down to who the scottish public trust come the crucial final weeks of the campaign? Interesting. :)
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

kle4 said:

Quite so. If I am to believe both sides' spinning
    You mean to say that both sides were never going to agree and it will boil down to who the scottish public trust come the crucial final weeks of the campaign? Interesting. :)
    It's groundbreaking stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    'Swings over Sweden' sticks a poster of Melanie Phillips on his bedroom wall. Chortles.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

And, if you strip out the Don't Knows, Will Not Vote, those who would vote NO, the result will be:

NO: 100

YES: 0
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Remember little Ed's decapitation strategy for Clegg?

This one is even better.
    TheBlueGuerilla ‏@theblueguerilla 1h

Weeks Most Popular no.3 >> WORLD EXCLUSIVE: UKIP Leader Farage In Plot To Oust Clegg At General Election >> http://www.theblueguerilla.co.uk/2014/02/exposed-ukip-leader-farage-in-secret.html
    Yes, I know. It appears to be a Paul Staines style rumour site so these are hardly predictions to be relied on to say the least. However, it's colourful stuff and who thought little Ed would embark a Clegg decapitation strategy?

A Tory plant at the heart of UKIP and in its London HQ say that instead of their Leader running a parliamentary election race in Thanet or Boston and Skegness, Nigel Farage is in actual fact "planning to stand against Nick Clegg in Sheffield Hallam", TBG can sensationally reveal.

The plans so far in motion include using UKIP's 2015 Spring Conference to launch their General Election Campaign in the city of Sheffield.

Another rumour doing the rounds for sometime now is that Mike Hancock MP is calling it a day and that there is going to be a by-election in his seat in late May to coincide with the European Elections.

A Tory plant at the heart of UKIP! *chortle* So that's what the Hamilton's are up to. ;)

• Options
    The EU takes action:

Lars Pellinat ‏@Lars9596 18m
    BREAKING: "Foreign Office has received clearance from Baroness Ashton to raise the alert level to tea with two sugars." #Ukraine #Crimea #UK
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Hey, let's not bicker over bare numbers, I always prefer a visual metaphor.

A tale of Two Cities and campaigns:

No - http://tinyurl.com/puwd6s6

Yes - http://tinyurl.com/od2t8s4

Of course all the other BTers may be temporarily off for a roll and squerr sossidge, and the Yes-ers are SNP councillors camouflaged as civvies for the day.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    Polruan said:

Re the political quiz

Hmm. 96% Lab, 92% Lib, 91% Green... all the way down to 19% Con.

Slightly embarrassing (actually a bit surprising as I think I agree with about 50% of current Labour policy). The most striking thing is that you and I appear to be almost equally (and highly) supportive of Lib Dem policies, but have opposite positions on Lab and Con. I can't see a model that would produce that pair of results unless it attributes a large number of contradictory policies to the Lib Dems, and I'm sure that would be *hugely* unfair.
    97% UKIP. I disagreed with them over Gay Marriage and Overseas Aid.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    stodge said:

... This has always been the calculated gamble for Boris - he can either be a big fish in a smallish pond or be a medium-sized fish in a bigger pond.

Stodgius

There are too many big fishes in smallish political ponds.

Boris is real meat.
  • Options

Hey let's not bicker over bare numbers, I always prefer a visual metaphor.

Of course all the other BTers may be temporarily off for a roll and sossidge, and the Yes-ers are SNP councillors camouflaged as civvies for the day.
    I'm delighted you think that is a metaphor for how the campaign is going. Although I very much doubt you actually believe that yourself. Out of interest do you think the outcome will be based on raw numbers or photos?

I saw four Yes campaigners near my flat recently. Then a few days later four No campaigners at the train station. I didn't think it told me a great deal to be honest.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    AveryLP said:

stodge said:

... This has always been the calculated gamble for Boris - he can either be a big fish in a smallish pond or be a medium-sized fish in a bigger pond.

Stodgius

Boris is real meat.
    I'm to be convinced. He's a relentless populist but his actual track record is, I would argue, mixed at best. How was his tenure as Conservative Party Chairman ? Memorably unsuccessful, I would contend. I don't think his tenure as Lord Mayor has been that special either.

By his own admission, he's a One-Nation Tory - is that what the party will go for post-Cameron ? I suspect not.

• Options
    Political quiz = Truckload of salt? :)

UKIP 88%
  • Options

Of course all the other BTers may be temporarily off for a roll and sossidge, and the Yes-ers are SNP councillors camouflaged as civvies for the day.
    I'm delighted you think that is a metaphor for how the campaign is going. Although I very much doubt you actually believe that yourself. Out of interest do you think the outcome will be based on raw numbers or photos?

I saw four Yes campaigners near my flat recently. Then a few days later four No campaigners at the train station. I didn't think it told me a great deal to be honest.
    I'm delighted that all you've got to counter visual evidence is a particularly weedy anecdote.

• Options

I'm delighted that all you've got to counter visual evidence is a particularly weedy anecdote.

Visual evidence? If that's what you have to fall back on I think we both know who has more to worry about! So if I'd taken a picture of the two groups of campaigners that would prove it was 50/50!? Risible.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

stodge said:

Stodgius

Boris is real meat.
    I'm to be convinced. He's a relentless populist but his actual track record is, I would argue, mixed at best. How was his tenure as Conservative Party Chairman ? Memorably unsuccessful, I would contend. I don't think his tenure as Lord Mayor has been that special either.

By his own admission, he's a One-Nation Tory - is that what the party will go for post-Cameron ? I suspect not.

I doubt it's what Boris would go for in any leadership contest. He's more than 'flexible' enough to appeal to the grassroots and members every conference after all.

You do hit on the sticking point for all the future tory leadership hopefuls however. If Cameron loses then there's no way at all that Europe and IN or OUT doesn't become a massive issue for the contenders. It would be a far more ideological race than last time when it was all about the tories getting their own Blair impersonator to try and detox them. In the kind of policy driven contest that would follow a Cammie loss, after all that the kippers have done to shape the debate, it's very far from clear who would win. You would have spoiler candidates trying to split the vote and anything could happen.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Is Russia doing anything about the Crimea which Britain did not do regarding the Falklands ?
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Your visual evidence hasn't reached Nuremberg Rally levels of impact yet but keep on keeping on. Who knows what the glorious future holds ?
  • Options
    Haway the lad - Pardew sent off for headbutting a Hull player??????????
  • Options

Photos never lie...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-supporters-caught-posing-pictures-2111409
  • Options
    Putin and Pardew taking Ed's headlines...

Gary Lineker, BBC Sport
    Join the debate at #bbcfootball
    "Alan Pardew has just head-butted David Meyler. Yes head-butted. Inexcusable from a manager."
  • Options
    Russia is developing a formal political position on the Ukraine crisis. This morning Vladimir Putin sent a letter to the Federation Council, Russia's upper house of parliament. The letter responded to formal questions raised by the Federation Council following the return of a group of Senators from a visit to the Crimea and its report on the current situation.

This report led to the Federation Council formally urging Putin to:

take exhaustive measures, all possible measures, to ensure the security of our citizens living in Ukraine, help our brotherly Ukrainian people achieve stabilisation and channel the current crisis into a civilised legal track

Putin's letter in response addressed:

the use of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation in the territory of Ukraine pending normalisation of the public and political situation in that country.

Further details of Putin's letter have not been published, but a statement by Valentina Matviyenko [a Ukrainian name!], Chair of the Federation Council indicates that Russia is not prepared to accept that the process followed in the Ukraine has led to a lawful constitutional or political changes.

The text of Matviyenko's statement has been released by ITAR-TASS. Here are the key paragraphs:

“The agreement [of February 21] clearly determined the sequence of steps. A constitutional reform first - it was supposed to be carried out with broad participation of public and political forces and regions in order to work out a consensus-based document that would be supported by all people in Ukraine. According to international practices, such serious documents should be adopted in a national referendum,” Matviyenko said.

Having expressed regret that this had not happened, she noted that “the speed with which presidential elections have been announced [in Ukraine] puts its legitimacy in question.”
    “The agreement calls for forming a government of national accord, which means that it should include representatives of all political forces. In reality we see that the government, which was approved to the stomping of the Maidan, did not include all political forces and was formed from opposition parties only,” Matviyenko observed.

She also said that “the heads of regions were not summoned for consultation.” So “we can understand why there are protests in regions, except for Western regions of Ukraine,” she added.

Matviyenko called for finding “a calm, civilised and legal solution to the crisis” and stressed that “there is no need to demonstrate high political and diplomatic culture in this case because we can see that this is neither appreciated nor understood, and most importantly the security of people will not be ensured.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Photos never lie...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-supporters-caught-posing-pictures-2111409
    Scottish tory surgers are never wrong...

http://wingsoverscotland.com/running-scared/
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited March 2014
    Dniepr by the time the EU's veteran student activists are back from their long weekend around tuesday teatime.

(not really)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    stodge said:

AveryLP said:

stodge said:

Stodgius

Boris is real meat.

The Tories weakness lies in its inability to communicate, or more specifically, the inability of its messages to be received favourably by an audience on its left and right flanks.

This is Boris's strength. If Cameron plans to stand down after a successful EU referendum result then Boris may be the best front for post-austerity Conservative Party. In this scenario little would really change as Osborne would continue to run the government and party.

Of course, intervening events might preclude such an outcome but no true Tory would be prepared to give this possibility serious consideration.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    AveryLP said:

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

stodge said:

Stodgius

Boris is real meat.

The Tories weakness lies in its inability to communicate, or more specifically, the inability of its messages to be received favourably by an audience on its left and right flanks.

This is Boris's strength. If Cameron plans to stand down after a successful EU referendum result then Boris may be the best front for post-austerity Conservative Party. In this scenario little would really change as Osborne would continue to run the government and party.

Of course, intervening events might preclude such an outcome but no true Tory would be prepared to give this possibility serious consideration.

And there shows the arrogance of the Tories!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

AveryLP said:

stodge said:

AveryLP said:

stodge said:

Stodgius

Boris is real meat.

And there shows the arrogance of the Tories!
    Nothing wrong with being arrogant, Nigel.

Personally I find it an endearing trait.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    surbiton said:

Is Russia doing anything about the Crimea which Britain did not do regarding the Falklands ?

Yes. They are invading a foreign country's territory.

Seriously, what it is with the left sometimes? If you consider the Iraq War illegal, which is a position I have some sympathy with, then surely sending in troops to a foreign country on the basis that the new government doesn't like you much is far worse? It makes me think they don't give a damn about international law - they just hate the West and the United States so will use it is a convenient weapon to hit them over the head with.
  • Options
    The BBC, somewhat amazingly, has got a complete Russian apologist on as an independent analyst...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    Scott_P said:

Photos never lie...

Well, that's just about the worst image you could have picked for your argument. Photos do lie when they are cropped and photoshopped by Unionist propagandists and reprinted by their favourite journalists. That photo was one of a series of a Yes Scotland (i.e. multiparty) event and if you look further you'll find out the facts of the matter. In fact, you don't need to look further because a comment on the same web page has the basic info

newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/7806-labour-for-independence-photo-was-doctored-by-better-together

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Ukraine

Stories are coming out about a US intelligence failure on Russian plans for Ukraine.

The raw intelligence information was there but for some reason the analysis was up the left.

The next part regarding Crimea should be more predictable. Couple of on the ground 'incidents' justifying the Russian presence on the streets. The reports of how Western intelligence backed the street level coup are already appearing in the Russian media so that field is already being ploughed.

In reality the latter is true. A number of Western official had contacts with the street fighting element who drove Yanukovych's ousting, but its not who you might expect.

By the way, the Russian military and security agencies are to be seen outside the Crimea and on other parts of Ukrainian territory playing up to events. For those who think Crimea is a special case that Russia is restricting itself to, forget it. There are a few below the radar interventions elsewhere.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Surbiton.. I was always under the impression that it was Argentina that invaded the Falklands
  • Options
    Some more ITAR-TASS.

This on the recent authority provided to Putin by Russia's Federation Council:

“The consent the president received does not mean literally that he will exercise this right immediately,” he said, adding that the size of the Russian contingent in Ukraine was not in question.

“That’s not being considered now. One must understand correctly a) the president’s appeal, and b) the Federation Council’s consent,” the diplomat noted.

Karasin said that the Federation Council’s consent meant only that the president has been given the free hand in case the situation deteriorates. “Today’s consent given to the president for the use of the Russian Armed Forces in Ukraine [pending normalisation in the situation in that country] means only that the president has the free hand [to act] if the situation gets worse,” Karasin said.

The phoney war builds.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. kle4, Gandalf benefited from his primary opponent (Sauron) being a bloody moron. There was one place the ring could be destroyed. It was deep in Sauron's territory, but he didn't have a single bloody orc guarding the place.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

Good evening, everyone.

Mr. kle4, Gandalf benefited from his primary opponent (Sauron) being a bloody moron. There was one place the ring could be destroyed. It was deep in Sauron's territory, but he didn't have a single bloody orc guarding the place.

Genuinely LOL

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Very surprised by my results for Mike's quiz. 94% UKIP, 82% Conservative. Would have thought less than that.
    However I scored as having "No Major Issues" in common with the Yellows, Reds or Greens which cheered me up.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited March 2014
    @Max_Edinburgh

'I'm delighted you think that is a metaphor for how the campaign is going. Although I very much doubt you actually believe that yourself. Out of interest do you think the outcome will be based on raw numbers or photos?'

Photos,about all that's left.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ukraine, the job you dont want.

Admiral of the Ukrainian navy. Some poor guy has just been appointed just as a number of Russian vessels are heading towards Ukrainian navy ships in the Crimea area.

It isn't surprising though that the government has moved to appoint someone new. I mentioned the other night how the Russians were speaking with their Ukrainian military counterparts about 'bringing stability'. Not long after it was noticeable that a number of senior officers, particularly in the Ukrainian navy, started to be laid low by sickness.

Kiev fears their military is not fully under its control. We'll soon know.
  • Options
    Interesting to see if this gains any traction

@sajidjavid: Direct link between Miliband's cynical vote against #Syria motion & Russia's actions on #Ukraine. Completely unfit to lead Britain
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Y0kel said:

Ukraine, the job you dont want.

Admiral of the Ukrainian navy. Some poor guy has just been appointed just as a number of Russian vessels are heading towards Ukrainian navy ships in the Crimea area.

It isn't surprising though that the government has moved to appoint someone new. I mentioned the other night how the Russians were speaking with their Ukrainian military counterparts about 'bringing stability'. Not long after it was noticeable that a number of senior officers, particularly in the Ukrainian navy, started to be laid low by sickness.

Kiev fears their military is not fully under its control. We'll soon know.

Y0kel

The best appointment of all in this crisis has come from the EU.

European Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighborhood Policy Stefan Fule said this might help resolve the crisis and normalize the situation in Ukraine.

As any Eurocrat kno.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Interesting to see if this gains any traction

@sajidjavid: Direct link between Miliband's cynical vote against #Syria motion & Russia's actions on #Ukraine. Completely unfit to lead Britain

Unlikely, the vat majority of the UK population don't get the Ukrainian situation at all and its strategic consequences.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Ukraine

Stories are coming out about a US intelligence failure on Russian plans for Ukraine.

The raw intelligence information was there but for some reason the analysis was up the left.

The next part regarding Crimea should be more predictable. Couple of on the ground 'incidents' justifying the Russian presence on the streets. The reports of how Western intelligence backed the street level coup are already appearing in the Russian media so that field is already being ploughed.

In reality the latter is true. A number of Western official had contacts with the street fighting element who drove Yanukovych's ousting, but its not who you might expect.

By the way, the Russian military and security agencies are to be seen outside the Crimea and on other parts of Ukrainian territory playing up to events. For those who think Crimea is a special case that Russia is restricting itself to, forget it. There are a few below the radar interventions elsewhere.

Luhansk and Donetsk also have Russian majority:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ukraine_cencus_2001_Russian.svg

• Options
    A mass rally has now happened against the Ukrainian government in Donetsk. I guess that will be the next place Russia invades, while the West stands by, too cowardly to do anything other than cross words.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

A mass rally has now happened against the Ukrainian government in Donetsk. I guess that will be the next place Russia invades, while the West stands by, too cowardly to do anything other than cross words.

Socrates

This is not a military battle or war.

It is a diplomatic fight which can only be resolved with an economic solution.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

Socrates

This is not a military battle or war.

It is a diplomatic fight which can only be resolved with an economic solution.

I shall add to my comment the very wise words of Dr. Sox from the previous thread:

Revolutions rarely produce good governments, though paradoxically failed revolutions often lead to concessions and progress.

This is the most likely outcome of the current crisis.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

That's Russian language, rather than Russian ethnicity I believe. Even so, should a place with recent immigrants be able to get independence based on this? Russians in the Crimea only came in during the ethnic cleansing of the 1940s.
  • Options
    There are a small number 'Russian' forces in a south eastern province of Ukraine. What is unclear is whether Russian military or contractors they are using. What they are doing there not yet clear...

They are not as yet turning up in military gear in the flashpoint cities noted below in posts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Socrates said:

The BBC, somewhat amazingly, has got a complete Russian apologist on as an independent analyst...

The other day Roadio 4 had Christian Wolmar on as a journalist who had some rather interesting background information about PIE in the 1970s. He was then asked some questions, and his answers basically cleared Labour figures. This was before the Hewitt revelations.

They never said he was a Labour supporter who hopes to stand to be Labour mayor of London. Rather a big omission IMHO, and not the first time they've had him as an 'independent'.
  • Options
    @AveryLP

This will all happen slice by slice. First Crimea. Then Donetsk. Then all of eastern Ukraine. Then the entirety. At what point does the West react? If nothing, how long before Russia starts to eye its historical territory in the Baltic?
  • Options
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

That's Russian language, rather than Russian ethnicity I believe. Even so, should a place with recent immigrants be able to get independence based on this? Russians in the Crimea only came in during the ethnic cleansing of the 1940s.
    Kosovo
  • Options
    Socrates said:
    They did that at least 24 hours ago.

Meanwhile some shooting has broken out in one of the areas occupied by Russian forces. We'll see shortly if its a one off or sustained.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    78% Liberal Democrat, 76% UKIP, 71% Conservative, 61% Labour

Well, that's totally f'king unhelpful
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Socrates said:

@AveryLP

This will all happen slice by slice. First Crimea. Then Donetsk. Then all of eastern Ukraine. Then the entirety. At what point does the West react? If nothing, how long before Russia starts to eye its historical territory in the Baltic?

Why would Russia want Ukraine west of the Dneiper? It has few ethnic Russians, and would be an inevitable hotbed of terrorism, sucking valuable resources from the rest of Russia.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Socrates said:

@AveryLP

Russia has no territorial or imperial ambitions in the Ukraine or Baltics, with the possible exception of protecting its Black Sea naval base in Crimea.

What Russia wants to avoid is a splitting of its pan-Slavic sphere of influence. So it will resist NATO, EU and US encroachment.

The solution to the political problems in The Ukraine is economic regeneration. This comes with a heavy cost so provided Russia can be assured of its regional interests, the most likely outcome of this crisis will be a deal struck between the EU, IMF, Russia and a 'representative and inclusive' government in The Ukraine.

The only Russians wanting to march into former Soviet republics are the Zhirinovsky oddbods. That's Liberal Democratic parties for you!

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Isn't that the story Bercow was in trouble over?

Thought we weren't allowed to comment on that general topic?

And the article you've linked to is from November 2012.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tum de tum
This discussion has been closed.