Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three months to go till the Euros and concern about UKIP’s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three months to go till the Euros and concern about UKIP’s key policy, immigration, sees a sharp drop in the Issues Index

The February Ipsos-MORI Issues Index is out and the summary findings are above. As can be seen the big mover since January has been immigration which has fallen 7%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    What about Scotland?
  • Options
    There you go - just thought I'd save the usual suspects the trouble of derailing the thread with stuff about north Britain parish council.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

@Life_ina_market_town

The indictment has been stayed by a High Court Judge as an abuse of process, and the Crown have indicated that they will not be seeking leave to appeal the ruling (if indeed an appeal lies against it). Unless new evidence comes to light as explained in the letter from the Northern Ireland office to the defendant, this is the end of the matter. My view is that the case raises an important point of law of general public importance which the Crown, at the very least, should have tried to have determined by the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division).

I agree fully that there should be an appeal heard.

I guess though that political expedience will mean that the government will be reluctant to poke their stick into the hornets' nest of the GFA and NI politics.

It will therefore depend on public reaction to the Court's decision. My temperature reading so far is that the decision is generating less heat than Harman et al's passive support of paedophile rights advocacy in the 1970s.

Methinks, we have all got our priorities wrong here.

Prime Ministers and Secretaries of State making 'judicial' decisions in secret following the failure of political negotiations to resolve policy on the matter addressed appears to me a far more serious public interest issue than Harman's youthful indiscretions at the NCCL.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

There you go - just thought I'd save the usual suspects the trouble of derailing the thread with stuff about north Britain parish council.

But James Bond is arguably Scotland's most famous son, why won't you Scots just breathe easy for a while ?
  • Options
    FPT:
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Palmer, there's an implied suggestion there that our binary choice is perpetual warfare or dissolving nations in the vile institution of the EU. During the last 60 years we also haven't had a war with Japan, or Canada.

Of course, individually, humans are very similar. But culturally there are wide differences, and it's legitimate for different countries to try and pursue different approaches, whether on social or economic issues.

I'd also dispute that this is some sort of magic time. There's the genocide that occurred a couple of decades ago in Yugoslavia, for a start. Furthermore, Rome knew no civil war during the Golden Age of emperors (Nerva to Marcus Aurelius, though the latter is dramatically overrated), 96AD to 180AD. The city was rather safe and delightful during this period (somehow they coped without EU membership).

The EU is vile because it is Littlefinger and Varys, without the morality and honour. We find ourselves surrendering sovereignty piece by piece, and nobody asked us.

F1: for those interested I laid Rosberg on Betfair at 8, having backed him at 24. Flat if someone else wins, green if he does.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

What about Scotland?

Heading for independence

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

But James Bond is arguably Scotland's most famous son, why won't you Scots just breathe easy for a while ?
    He is more Brooke Bond than James Bond

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    The thing about immigration is that for people that consider it a negative, it impacts on every other issue listed. So not really a big deal for UKIP as long as it is rated one of the most important
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Lots of UKIP voters (and other voters, in fairness) don't trust government immigration figures. Farage won't lose too much steam from the lack of New Year floodgates.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited February 2014
    AveryLP said:

FPT

@Life_ina_market_town

The indictment has been stayed by a High Court Judge as an abuse of process, and the Crown have indicated that they will not be seeking leave to appeal the ruling (if indeed an appeal lies against it). Unless new evidence comes to light as explained in the letter from the Northern Ireland office to the defendant, this is the end of the matter. My view is that the case raises an important point of law of general public importance which the Crown, at the very least, should have tried to have determined by the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division).

I guess though that political expedience will mean that the government will be reluctant to poke their stick into the hornets' nest of the GFA and NI politics.

It will therefore depend on public reaction to the Court's decision. My temperature reading so far is that the decision is generating less heat than Harman et al's passive support of paedophile rights advocacy in the 1970s.

Prime Ministers and Secretaries of State making 'judicial' decisions in secret following the failure of political negotiations to resolve policy on the matter addressed appears to me a far more serious public interest issue than Harman's youthful indiscretions at the NCCL.

Alas Section 36 of the Criminal Justice Act 1972 - references by the Attorney General - which insofar as they might reverse the point of law without calling into question the decision as regards the immediate defendant (with the political risk that implies) - does not appear to stretch to this sort of case. Other posters probably know more about this than men, though.

• Options
    - "Three months to go till the Euros and concern about UKIP’s key policy, immigration, sees a sharp drop in the Issues Index "

And?

In past few decades all polling have found that the SNP's key policy, Scottish independence, was miles down the issues index, light years behind health, housing, the economy, education etc. In some surveys it was barely clinging on to the bottom of the table, in the low single percentage points. And yet here we are about to have a referendum on that very topic.

I wouldn't put too much stock in those tables Mike.

(Incidentally, I would have thought that the UK's independence from the EU was their key policy, not immigration.)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

He is more Brooke Bond than James Bond

A tea party activist on a political betting site would be better named 'PG Tips'.
  • Options
    isam said:

The thing about immigration is that for people that consider it a negative, it impacts on every other issue listed. So not really a big deal for UKIP as long as it is rated one of the most important

Do kippers realise that they will make us all poorer?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    Economy improving at a faster rate than any other European country. Immigration looking less of an issue than feared. Unemployment falling. Labour's scaremongering over an NHS winter crisis never materialised. Schools gradually being improved. Crime falling. Poverty/Inequality alleviated by tax & benefits changes. Inflation at lowest level for a long time. House building improving at a storming rate. Pensioners doing quite well.

Not a bad record, is it, especially given the starting point.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

A polis is a city-state. The criticism myself, Morris Dancer and Sean Fear make of the European population is that it is not a demos.

I wonder if a lot of Europhilia/scepticism comes down to personal impressions about this. I suppose I've visited most countries in Europe, and lived in several for decades. The overwhelming impression that I've taken away is how similar they are to us - similar hopes, fears, ambitions, beliefs. They vary among themselves, as we do, but we're basically all the same gang or, to put it a little more poshly, the same demos.

We've spent several hundred years denying that and fighting each other, and 60 years not denying it and trying to work together. Trying to split that up seems to me as wrong-headed as trying to separate England from Scotland - also places with differences of tradition and culture, but with more in common than the differences.
    Isn't the truth that we have a partial demos? The problem is that the EU greatly overreaches the boundaries of that partial demos and attempts to manufacture a synthetic demos in pursuit of a dream that few Europeans share. In the process, it discredits the partial demos that could work effectively.
    Isn't the truth that we have a partial demos? The problem is that the UK greatly overreaches the boundaries of that partial demos and attempts to manufacture a synthetic demos in pursuit of a dream that few Scots share. In the process, it discredits the partial demos that could work effectively.
  • Options
    FPT

Nick Palmer OAFMP said

"I wonder if a lot of Europhilia/scepticism comes down to personal impressions about this. I suppose I've visited most countries in Europe, and lived in several for decades. The overwhelming impression that I've taken away is how similar they are to us - similar hopes, fears, ambitions, beliefs. They vary among themselves, as we do, but we're basically all the same gang or, to put it a little more poshly, the same demos.

We've spent several hundred years denying that and fighting each other, and 60 years not denying it and trying to work together. Trying to split that up seems to me as wrong-headed as trying to separate England from Scotland - also places with differences of tradition and culture, but with more in common than the differences."

I suspect the only reason I will have spent less time living and working in other countries than you Nick is because I am not yet quite at your venerable age :-)

That said I am afraid that you are entirely wrong about Euroscepticism. It is not based upon whether or not they are similar or different to us on a personal level but because they are very different to us in terms of their political and legal systems and the relationship between the state and the individual. Put simply we are a very long way from being one demos and our cultural differences are far larger than the similarities.

The recent very excellent conclusion of the Cornetto Trilogy 'World's End' exemplified this perfectly with the drunken heroes rejecting the chance to become part of the galactic civilisation because of what it would mean surrendering. We reserve the right to make our own decisions, as contrary and self destructive as they may be, and to choose to cock things up on our own terms without some supranational body trying to tell us what to do. That does not mean we will always be right nor that everything will be better because of the choices we make. But they will be our choices and we will take responsibility for them ourselves.

For exactly the same reason I support Scottish Independence even though I freely admit I have no idea whether or not in the end it will be better or worse for Scotland. At least they will take their own decisions about their own future.

I know that you are one of the Jentaloven disciples but I am afraid that is not a British trait and I doubt it is something we will ever accept.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Alas Section 36 of the Criminal Justice Act 1972 - references by the Attorney General - which insofar as they might reverse the point of law without calling into question the decision as regards the immediate defendant (with the political risk that implies) - does not appear to stretch to this sort of case.

A challenge to the stay would not be pursued by an Attorney General's reference following acquittal under the 1972 Act. The defendant has not been acquitted, rather the indictment has been stayed as an abuse of process. A preparatory hearing was ordered by the Central Criminal Court under section 29 of the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996, and, as I understand it, the thinking is that an appeal lies to the CACD with the leave of that court or the court below under section 35 of the 1996 Act. That is if a stay is indeed a "question of law relating to the case" for the purposes of section 31(3).
  • Options

isam said:

I suppose the pro-slavery faction used your materialistic argument in the nineteenth century.
  • Options

isam said:

For them, that and Europe (getting out of) are the be all and end all. How they reconcile these views that some of us have to run businesses that would be massively damaged by such policies I will never know.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT Nick Palmer

I think you are setting up a nice little straw man here.

FWIW, I grew up in England, with English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish grandparents but spent the summers in Italy. I have family living in France, Belgium and Switzerland and married and American (plus also have family from Tennessee of all places!). My professional career has been spent in Scandinavia, Germany, France and Switzerland.

So, overall, a pretty good view of Europe and Europeans.

Superficially, the same things interest us all - family, careers, standard of living etc. But so many of the underlying assumptions are very very different. I adore my Walloon cousins, for instance - but wouldn't let them anywhere near our government.

Recognise Europeans for what they are: proud tribes of independently minded people who share many things in common and should co-operate when it is to mutual advantage, but should be free to plough their own furrow when it doesn't.
  • Options
    Interesting that (with exception of schools and housing) all the concerns seem to be falling in importance.

Schools I would put down to the spat above Gove a couple of weeks ago, and housing probably a result of the spring uptick in house buying interest and people realising how darn expensive it is.

But generally things are getting better and on a much broader front than just the economy - implications for VI in due course?
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Alas Section 36 of the Criminal Justice Act 1972 - references by the Attorney General - which insofar as they might reverse the point of law without calling into question the decision as regards the immediate defendant (with the political risk that implies) - does not appear to stretch to this sort of case.

A challenge to the stay would not be pursued by an Attorney General's reference following acquittal under the 1972 Act. The defendant has not been acquitted, rather the indictment has been stayed as an abuse of process. A preparatory hearing was ordered by the Central Criminal Court under section 29 of the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996, and, as I understand it, the thinking is that an appeal lies to the CACD with the leave of that court or the court below under section 35 of the 1996 Act. That is if a stay is indeed a "question of law relating to the case" for the purposes of section 31(3).
    That is indeed how I understood it and why I thought the section would not apply. I imagine it is possible to formulate a question of law, such as "Is a notice of this kind (given in error?) capable of rendering it an abuse of process of the Court to pursue a prosecution?"
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Does anyone still have money on Ms David Mills (Berlusconi Finance and Services) being the Labour candidate to replace BoJo? Seriously....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    AveryLP said:

FPT

@Life_ina_market_town

I'd add my support to this decision being appealed.

Prior to today, I had assumed that it did not lie within the power of a member of the government to grant immunity from prosecution to a murder suspect.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    edited February 2014
    Hmm... overall there is a fall of 20 points on topics of concern. Are people actually getting happier or more confident?

It should do the tories good that the economy is out front again, albeit concern on that has dropped by the average amount. Still very little sign of this in the polls though. If I was involved in the re-election campaign that would be my biggest single concern.

The fall in concern about the NHS once again demonstrates what a good job Jeremy Hunt is doing of keeping that quiet. No winter chaos, no reorganisational chaos, increasing focus on the quality of care and the complete demolition of the nonsensical box ticking and gold stars of the Labour years. He even sounds quite human which is fairly distinctive in this government. If he can neutralise the NHS for the tories he will have done a lot more than his share.

• Options

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

A polis is a city-state. The criticism myself, Morris Dancer and Sean Fear make of the European population is that it is not a demos.

I wonder if a lot of Europhilia/scepticism comes down to personal impressions about this. I suppose I've visited most countries in Europe, and lived in several for decades. The overwhelming impression that I've taken away is how similar they are to us - similar hopes, fears, ambitions, beliefs. They vary among themselves, as we do, but we're basically all the same gang or, to put it a little more poshly, the same demos.

We've spent several hundred years denying that and fighting each other, and 60 years not denying it and trying to work together. Trying to split that up seems to me as wrong-headed as trying to separate England from Scotland - also places with differences of tradition and culture, but with more in common than the differences.
    Isn't the truth that we have a partial demos? The problem is that the EU greatly overreaches the boundaries of that partial demos and attempts to manufacture a synthetic demos in pursuit of a dream that few Europeans share. In the process, it discredits the partial demos that could work effectively.
    Isn't the truth that we have a partial demos? The problem is that the UK greatly overreaches the boundaries of that partial demos and attempts to manufacture a synthetic demos in pursuit of a dream that few Scots share. In the process, it discredits the partial demos that could work effectively.
    No, that's not true in the same way. England and Scotland have been part of the same sovereign state for over 300 years, and shared a monarch for a further 100 years before that. Unsurprisingly, the UK has a pretty strong demos.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

That is indeed how I understood it and why I thought the section would not apply. I imagine it is possible to formulate a question of law, such as "Is a notice of this kind (given in error?) capable of rendering it an abuse of process of the Court to pursue a prosecution?"

Indeed. My feeling is that the Court of Appeal would simply invent a jurisdiction if it wanted to reverse the ruling, and would assume without deciding jurisdiction if it agreed with the court below. Intellectual rigour is not to be expected in the upper echelons of the Criminal Division at the present time...
  • Options

isam said:

Not forgetting the disaster that was to become us if we didn't join the Euro. How did that work out for you?
  • Options
    edited February 2014

isam said:

They realise that big business owners wont be able to import cheap labour, undercutting British working class, hence making the rich richer and the poor poorer as is currently the case

... and that then comfortably off, middle class lefties wont be able to try and pretend the whole country benefits equally from mass immigration as they do now

Shocking behaviour, you really do want the rich richer and the poor poorer as long as average GDP goes up, let alone the social cost to working class people
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sean_F said:

AveryLP said:

FPT

@Life_ina_market_town

I'd add my support to this decision being appealed.

Prior to today, I had assumed that it did not lie within the power of a member of the government to grant immunity from prosecution to a murder suspect.
    I checked the CPS website and it does on occasion (but not this one) use the language of legitimate expectations to describe at least some decisions of this kind. I think it would be fair to say over the last 25 years or so, maybe more, there has been a general trend away from the idea that a public authority is in principle not capable of putting something beyond their powers so as to fetter their future discretion to pursue that option. That does not conclude the discussion of course; rather, one would have to consider the importance of leaving the future decisions of the authority unrestrained against the potential impact on the representee of resiling from that expectation. That would depend on a multitude of factors.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/abuse_of_process/

""... circumstances can exist where it will be an abuse of process to prosecute a man for conduct in respect of which he has been given an assurance that no prosecution will be brought. It is by no means easy to define a test for those circumstances other than to say that they must be such as to render the proposed prosecution an affront to justice." "
  • Options
    F1: some basic mile figures here:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/some-thoughts-before-the-final-pre-season-test/

Mercedes - 6,265
    Ferrari - 2,989
    Renault - 2,485

Totals for the two tests to date. Also worth bearing in mind Ferrari has just 3 teams rather than 4, which the others have.

We might all be wrong, but it does look like Mercedes are sitting pretty, and Renault have problems. The third test starts on the 27th, and after the 28th the engines can only be altered for safety/reliability.
  • Options

isam said:

Another desperate Europhile myth along with the 3 million jobs myth and the EU kept the peace myth.
  • Options
    On topic, some of us predicted that Romanian and Bulgarian immigration would be the dog that didn't bark. We were poohpoohed at the time.

It's not that we're not getting fewer Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants, it's that the quality of those immigrants will improve once those who want to work here legally can do so without difficulty. Before the restrictions were lifted, we got the worst of both worlds: unrestricted right to travel to the UK for Bulgarians and Romanians, but no automatic right to work. The consequence was that those Bulgarians and Romanians who wished to support themselves through illegal activities were disproportionately likely to travel to Britain.
  • Options

isam said:

For them, that and Europe (getting out of) are the be all and end all. How they reconcile these views that some of us have to run businesses that would be massively damaged by such policies I will never know.
    MIFID and FACTA are really nasty pieces of regulation from the EU and US respectively.

They both do significant damage to UK businesses. FACTA is - I suspect - deliberately protectionist by the US. But MIFID damages the UK because the EU doesn't understand the industry it is trying regulate - but doesn't want to listen to the UK regardless of our greater expertise. Being in Europe really doesn't yield much in the way of influence.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    Sean_F said:

That is not quite what happened. The defendant's case was that the government with the concurrence of the prosecuting authorities had communicated in error that the defendant was not wanted by any police force, while in fact he was wanted by the Met. That assurance resulted in him being lured back into the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court, making subsequent proceedings an abuse of the process of that court. Were new evidence to emerge, it would be open to the Crown to prefer a new indictment against him. This is not an acquittal, and he does not have "immunity". The real question is whether Sweeney J was right to rule that the prosecution was indeed an abuse. I am not convinced and feel that the matter should be tested by a superior court if an appeal lies.

As for the executive's power to grant immunity to a murder suspect, there is the royal prerogative of mercy, which can be exercised both before and after conviction, and the provisions of section 7 of the Intelligence Services Act 1994.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    @NP, Morris, RTyndall, others

Europe: the feeling is surely that all these Europeans may do something 'European' which in some way isn't British! I think we have something of a blind spot for the fact that us Brits rarely conduct our own affairs in this long lost British way. There's still a glimmer left though I guess.

Scotland: I wonder if it will be possible for me to claim some share of Scotland's oil revenue - I'm 1/8th Scottish, and I'm sure that my ancestors wouldn't have accepted the King's shilling if they'd known that they'd be giving up any claim to their homeland. Perhaps it's all easily settled by referring to who in principle owns all of the land that isn't otherwise bought or paid for - the Queen. Somewhat tongue-in-cheek clearly, but I think I might register a claim with the Scottish government if they do declare themselves independent.

• Options
    I have to say that it was always my understanding that there was a de facto amnesty as an essential part of the NI peace process. Given that many of the political leaders, particularly of the smaller groups, would not have been able to show their faces otherwise, let alone take part, that was simply inevitable.

If a mistake has been made in this case it is surely the commencement of proceedings given the existence of the letter and the assurance that that gave. At the very least careful consideration should have been given to the question of whether or not the exceptions in the letter (such as new evidence not available at the time the letter was written) could properly be presented to the court with a coherent explanation as to why any assurance no longer applied. The judgment indicates this was not done.

I understand the concern about the principle but it seems to me that the Judge is spot on with this decision and the government would be well advised not to take the matter further. Sometimes a price needs to be paid for peace and the lives saved over the last decade in Northern Ireland make this a price worth paying, however distasteful it might be.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Economy improving at a faster rate than any other European country. Immigration looking less of an issue than feared. Unemployment falling. Labour's scaremongering over an NHS winter crisis never materialised. Schools gradually being improved. Crime falling. Poverty/Inequality alleviated by tax & benefits changes. Inflation at lowest level for a long time. House building improving at a storming rate. Pensioners doing quite well.

And yet, in spite of all that, the Tories are still behind in the polls. Doesn't that tell you something?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

isam said:

Immigration increases GDP, not GDP per capita.

• Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

No, that's not true in the same way. England and Scotland have been part of the same sovereign state for over 300 years, and shared a monarch for a further 100 years before that. Unsurprisingly, the UK has a pretty strong demos.
    No, that is self-evidently incorrect. England and Scotland were never forged into a single state. They remained as two distinct states sharing the same legislature. If they had wanted to create a single demos in 1707 they would have had to abolish, for example, the Court of Session, the Faculty of Advocates and the Church of Scotland. They never did.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    By the way, I'm not sure the Tories should really take it as good news that there wasn't an NHS crisis this winter. Virtually everyone agrees that, with the rapidly deteriorating financial state of the health service, a winter crisis is inevitable at some point, so the fact it didn't happen this time only increases the chance of it happening next winter, which would mean it will be a very live issue in the minds of voters at the election itself (a bit like how Jim Callaghan looked on course for comfortable election win at the end of the 1970s before the winter of discontent happened at the most inopportune time....).
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Europe: the feeling is surely that all these Europeans may do something 'European' which in some way isn't British! I think we have something of a blind spot for the fact that us Brits rarely conduct our own affairs in this long lost British way. There's still a glimmer left though I guess.

Scotland: I wonder if it will be possible for me to claim some share of Scotland's oil revenue - I'm 1/8th Scottish, and I'm sure that my ancestors wouldn't have accepted the King's shilling if they'd known that they'd be giving up any claim to their homeland. Perhaps it's all easily settled by referring to who in principle owns all of the land that isn't otherwise bought or paid for - the Queen. Somewhat tongue-in-cheek clearly, but I think I might register a claim with the Scottish government if they do declare themselves independent.

I have a Scottish name. That must entitle me to a petrol tanker or two of the stuff.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I'm 1/16 Glaswegian but doubt that will get me any credit...
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

No, that is self-evidently incorrect. England and Scotland were never forged into a single state. They remained as two distinct states sharing the same legislature. If they had wanted to create a single demos in 1707 they would have had to abolish, for example, the Court of Session, the Faculty of Advocates and the Church of Scotland. They never did.

When we've reached the point that the cybernats can dispute with a straight face that the UK is a single sovereign state, we are reaching Alice in Wonderland territory. But here on Wikipedia's list of sovereign states, what do I find but the United Kingdom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

The Scottish government is trying quite hard to abolish the Court of Session and the Faculty of Advocates now. Their new court bill proposes a privative jurisdiction restricting Court of Session Outer House and the Commercial Court to cases worth more than £150K. If passed in that form they may well have effectively abolished Scots law as a separate jurisdiction as well.

It is really bewildering.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Nigel Farage: "I am now very excited that this debate [with Mr Clegg] will make sure that the European elections are contested on proper, EU-related issues. That doesn’t mean obscure clauses of treaties that virtually nobody has ever read. It means money; open door immigration; our inhibition of global trading opportunities; and how impotent our Westminster Parliament has become in governing UK matters."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-im-immensely-looking-forward-to-saying-i-dont-agree-with-nick-clegg-9152731.html
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    antifrank said:

When we've reached the point that the cybernats can dispute with a straight face that the UK is a single sovereign state, we are reaching Alice in Wonderland territory. But here on Wikipedia's list of sovereign states, what do I find but the United Kingdom?

The nationalists confuse state and jurisdiction. Scotland remained a separate jurisdiction in 1707. It nevertheless ceased to be a separate state.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    Danny565 said:

And yet, in spite of all that, the Tories are still behind in the polls. Doesn't that tell you something?

Yes, it tells you that irrational prejudice dominates over everything else in politics, alas for the country, as many may discover if we end up with PM Miliband.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Omnium said:

I have a Scottish name. That must entitle me to a petrol tanker or two of the stuff.
    It must cause untold pain to the First Minister that the Etonian swell at the head of the Tory party has an ultra Scottish surname while his is of unknown but certainly not Caledonian origin.

• Options
    antifrank said:

On topic, some of us predicted that Romanian and Bulgarian immigration would be the dog that didn't bark. We were poohpoohed at the time.

It's not that we're not getting fewer Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants, it's that the quality of those immigrants will improve once those who want to work here legally can do so without difficulty. Before the restrictions were lifted, we got the worst of both worlds: unrestricted right to travel to the UK for Bulgarians and Romanians, but no automatic right to work. The consequence was that those Bulgarians and Romanians who wished to support themselves through illegal activities were disproportionately likely to travel to Britain.

Who pooh poohed?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Having spent most of my life working and living outside the UK I can say with certainty that my experience is that the European and British attitudes to the relationship between state and the individual are very very different - so different in my opinion as to be insurmountable.
  • Options
    @Charles, antifrank

Of course our ancestry might lead to obligation too. Did we gun and run?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

F1: some basic mile figures here:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/some-thoughts-before-the-final-pre-season-test/

Mercedes - 6,265
    Ferrari - 2,989
    Renault - 2,485

Totals for the two tests to date. Also worth bearing in mind Ferrari has just 3 teams rather than 4, which the others have.

We might all be wrong, but it does look like Mercedes are sitting pretty, and Renault have problems. The third test starts on the 27th, and after the 28th the engines can only be altered for safety/reliability.

That's why I said a few weeks ago that I expect Renault's (engine, not team) reliability to improve faster than Ferrari's - even with their problems, they've got nearly as many mules in as Ferrari-engined teams, and will have lots of good data.

I fully expect Renault engines to be very competitive and comparatively reliable by the time of the European races. Likewise, expect Ferrari engine reliability to be slightly comparatively worse in the second half of the season.

Now there's a prediction to hold me to!

As for engine homologation: if you look what happened when those rules came in five or so years back, the definition of 'safety' and 'reliability' were rather lax for the first season. Also note only parts of the engines are being homologatised; other parts can still be freely changed for a while yet, AIUI.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    DavidL said:

The Scottish government is trying quite hard to abolish the Court of Session and the Faculty of Advocates now. Their new court bill proposes a privative jurisdiction restricting Court of Session Outer House and the Commercial Court to cases worth more than £150K. If passed in that form they may well have effectively abolished Scots law as a separate jurisdiction as well.

Forgive me for asking David, I bow to your expertise on all matters Scottish, but where is the jurisdiction going? I assume to the Sheriff, who will continue to apply Scots law? Anything else would surely be outside the legislative competence of the Parliament by virtue of para. 1 of Schedule 5 to the Scotland Act 1998?
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Danny565 said:

Voters are daft?
  • Options

antifrank said:

The nationalists confuse state and jurisdiction. Scotland remained a separate jurisdiction in 1707. It nevertheless ceased to be a separate state.
    There are so many separate jurisdictions in the US, although they are, I accept, divided by "state". But I do not think it satisfies the nationalist approach to consider Scotland on the same footing as, say, Delaware because few people doubt that the US represents a demos.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    DavidL said:

I have to say that it was always my understanding that there was a de facto amnesty as an essential part of the NI peace process. Given that many of the political leaders, particularly of the smaller groups, would not have been able to show their faces otherwise, let alone take part, that was simply inevitable.

If a mistake has been made in this case it is surely the commencement of proceedings given the existence of the letter and the assurance that that gave. At the very least careful consideration should have been given to the question of whether or not the exceptions in the letter (such as new evidence not available at the time the letter was written) could properly be presented to the court with a coherent explanation as to why any assurance no longer applied. The judgment indicates this was not done.

I understand the concern about the principle but it seems to me that the Judge is spot on with this decision and the government would be well advised not to take the matter further. Sometimes a price needs to be paid for peace and the lives saved over the last decade in Northern Ireland make this a price worth paying, however distasteful it might be.

My understanding was that prisoners would be eligible for early release, but that there was no provision for an amnesty for people who had not been convicted of an offence.

• Options

DavidL said:

Forgive me for asking David, I bow to your expertise on all matters Scottish, but where is the jurisdiction going? I assume to the Sheriff, who will continue to apply Scots law? Anything else would surely be outside the legislative competence of the Parliament by virtue of para. 1 of Schedule 5 to the Scotland Act 1998?
    Would the argument not go that the question is not one of the "the continued existence of the Court of Session" but rather some aspect short of its existence?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

Ho ho. Wikipedia for heavens sake. A real nest of Cyberbritnattery.

It is the Scottish people who hold sovereignty, not a state or a parliament, as you are about to find out.

The UK has never been, and probably never will be, a single state. It is a multi-state entity. Anyone with any elementary grounding in Scottish civil society understands that.
  • Options

It is the Scottish people who hold sovereignty, not a state or a parliament, as you are about to find out.

The UK has never been, and probably never will be, a single state. It is a multi-state entity. Anyone with any elementary grounding in Scottish civil society understands that.

Why "the Scottish people" rather than "the British people"? Is it legal jurisdiction? What other criteria?
  • Options

Having spent most of my life working and living outside the UK I can say with certainty that my experience is that the European and British attitudes to the relationship between state and the individual are very very different - so different in my opinion as to be insurmountable.

I wonder if you might share my observation that if you substitute 'average uk voter' for 'European' then what you've written still seems to make some sense?

I'm sure we as a people believe that our character is that of the old ways. I'm equally sure that our actual character is nothing of the sort. I don't know where this leaves us.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

@Charles, antifrank

Of course our ancestry might lead to obligation too. Did we gun and run?

Guilty as charged, m'lud ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larne_gun-running
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Why "the Scottish people" rather than "the British people"? Is it legal jurisdiction? What other criteria?
    You don't understand the SNP Ein Volk dogma,

• Options
    Grandiose said:

It is a long and complex topic, but you could do worse than start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claim_of_Right_1989
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

Perhaps you need to start with an elementary ability in reading first.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

By the way, I'm not sure the Tories should really take it as good news that there wasn't an NHS crisis this winter. Virtually everyone agrees that, with the rapidly deteriorating financial state of the health service, a winter crisis is inevitable at some point, so the fact it didn't happen this time only increases the chance of it happening next winter, which would mean it will be a very live issue in the minds of voters at the election itself (a bit like how Jim Callaghan looked on course for comfortable election win at the end of the 1970s before the winter of discontent happened at the most inopportune time....).

There has already been an NHS crisis, in Staffordshire, remember?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I wonder if you might share my observation that if you substitute 'average uk voter' for 'European' then what you've written still seems to make some sense?

I'm sure we as a people believe that our character is that of the old ways. I'm equally sure that our actual character is nothing of the sort. I don't know where this leaves us.
    It is not just about character or public perception. It is about the structures and systems which both inform and are informed by the public. The basic relationship between the state and the individual is very different in European countries compared to Anglo-Saxon countries as is reflected in both their political and legal systems.

There has been a degree of 'Europeanisation' of our systems in the last 40 years unfortunately but the differences still remain and are both considerable and important.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

Funny thing about us Scots. The more that pompous British nationalists patronise us, the more determined we get.
  • Options
    Just read the Daily Mail response to Harman and Dromey, this will run......
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mostly the absence of an NHS crisis is due to the warm wet weather. Fewer frosts and far fewer orthopaedic admissions. Good news really, this global warming is great, should have got it started years ago!

Some of the other actions have been good with the NHS reforms also, but mostly it was the weather.
    Danny565 said:

• Options
    Typical biased unionist reporting - the FT should have led with 'Support for Independence Surges 20% among Oil Barons':

Alex Salmond may be a former energy economist, but Scotland's first minister has yet to persuade a sceptical industry of the benefits of independence.
    An Aberdeen chamber of commerce debate on oil and independence left little doubt of that. A vote at the start of the meeting found that only 11 per cent of attendees thought the oil and gas sector would be more likely to prosper in an independent Scotland.....

In a minor boost to the nationalist cause, a vote at the end of the breakfast found the proportion of attendees who thought the oil sector more likely to prosper under independence had risen.

But at a still meagre 13 per cent, the SNP clearly has a long way to go.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c34f753c-9e30-11e3-95fe-00144feab7de.html#ixzz2uMiGG8H5

• Options

Funny thing about us Scots. The more that pompous British nationalists patronise us, the more determined we get.

When you make a mistake as crass as that, you deserve patronising.

Here's a handy wikipedia explanation of sovereign states:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state

The United Kingdom meets the definition. Its component parts do not. Even the most voluble outbursts of whisky-inspired ravings will not change that.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Danny565 said:

I remember it, but most of the public don't really, and those that do definitely don't think it was Labour's fault despite the Tories' laughably desperate attempts. They can say what they want, but the NHS being at the top of the agenda and people thinking sorting out the NHS is the top priority is ALWAYS going to favour Labour, just as immigration being at the top of the agenda always favours UKIP.

Don't forget even a significant chunk of Tory supporters prefer Labour on health, so an NHS crisis would peel off some of those supporters. It won't purely be a case of people thinking "it's the Tories fault that the NHS has imploded", because most people probably will recognise the NHS's problems are more complex and longterm than that -- the thinking will probably be more like "sorting out the NHS is the absolute top issue right now, and Labour is the only party we can trust to do that". So the Tories had better start praying the NHS manages to just about hang together until next May.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

Us kippers are the same!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2014

Grandiose said:

It is a long and complex topic, but you could do worse than start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claim_of_Right_1989
    And.....

Ho ho. Wikipedia for heavens sake. A real nest of Cyberbritnattery

• Options
    edited February 2014

It is a classic nationalist fiction that there is a Scottish constitutional principle of popular sovereignty, dating back to the Declaration of Arbroath of 1320. It is a fiction and has been utterly discredited by serious historians. There is no more a constitutional principle or even tradition of popular sovereignty in Scotland than there is in England. The Westminster and Holyrood Parliaments have agreed to set up a consultative referendum on Scottish independence. The Scottish people have not become sovereign as a result.
  • Options
    The Claim of Right says this:

"[We] hereby acknowledge the sovereign right of the Scottish people to determine the form of Government best suited to their needs"

but I would happily accept that, and also, if ever a thing were written,

"[We] hereby acknowledge the sovereign right of the British people to determine the form of Government best suited to their needs".

Stuart, correct me if I am wrong, but I am not sure you would accept the second.

I would consider both prospective; and indeed I have never doubted the right of the Scottish people to vote on an achieve independence should they support it.
  • Options

It is not just about character or public perception. It is about the structures and systems which both inform and are informed by the public. The basic relationship between the state and the individual is very different in European countries compared to Anglo-Saxon countries as is reflected in both their political and legal systems.

There has been a degree of 'Europeanisation' of our systems in the last 40 years unfortunately but the differences still remain and are both considerable and important.

I agree. However the British system has weakened, and the standards by which we judge ourselves are weaker. Perhaps though it's merely that the reputation of the powerful is far more open to scrutiny than it has been before.

What is sure, is that the British model had admirers. We should undoubtedly consider very carefully whether such merit has somehow vanished.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The United Kingdom meets the definition. Its component parts do not. Even the most voluble outbursts of whisky-inspired ravings will not change that.
    The mistake is all yours. You do realise that it is largely Brit Nat bampots that write those Wikipedia pages, don't you.

The Scottish people and their state have, thus far, chosen to remain members of the United Kingdom. But they can change their minds whenever they like. That is the very essence of sovereignty.

• Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

As pompous as speaking on behalf of a whole people?
  • Options

antifrank said:

The mistake is all yours. You do realise that it is largely Brit Nat bampots that write those Wikipedia pages, don't you.
    So why did you direct us to one on the Clain of Rights?

Methinks you are confusing 'sovereignty' with 'sovereign state'.....

• Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:
    SNIP

SNIP

As pompous as speaking on behalf of a whole people?
    Well, somebody has to speak up for Scots and their natural-born rights, cos very few folk around here give a toss about them.

I never claimed to speak on behalf of our nation. That is the first minister's job.
  • Options

antifrank said:

The Scottish people and their state have, thus far, chosen to remain members of the United Kingdom. But they can change their minds whenever they like. That is the very essence of sovereignty.

You do not understand the concept of a sovereign state.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

You do not understand the concept of a sovereign people.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I remember it, but most of the public don't really, and those that do definitely don't think it was Labour's fault despite the Tories' laughably desperate attempts. They can say what they want, but the NHS being at the top of the agenda and people thinking sorting out the NHS is the top priority is ALWAYS going to favour Labour, just as immigration being at the top of the agenda always favours UKIP.

Don't forget even a significant chunk of Tory supporters prefer Labour on health, so an NHS crisis would peel off some of those supporters. It won't purely be a case of people thinking "it's the Tories fault that the NHS has imploded", because most people probably will recognise the NHS's problems are more complex and longterm than that -- the thinking will probably be more like "sorting out the NHS is the absolute top issue right now, and Labour is the only party we can trust to do that". So the Tories had better start praying the NHS manages to just about hang together until next May.
    Sad but true.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Look back to my original post on this thread, the one that you disputed. Now blush beetroot and don't waste my time any further.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Look back to my original post on this thread, the one that you disputed. Now blush beetroot and don't waste my time any further.
    Your pomposity rating just went off the swingometer.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Your pomposity rating just went off the swingometer.
    Usual claptrap from a cybernat - shown to be talking utter rubbish, so you take refuge in abuse.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Anyone watching WT4? It's been pretty interesting so far

http://www.channel4.com/news/wt4-north-south-debate
  • Options

Mostly the absence of an NHS crisis is due to the warm wet weather. Fewer frosts and far fewer orthopaedic admissions. Good news really, this global warming is great, should have got it started years ago!

Some of the other actions have been good with the NHS reforms also, but mostly it was the weather.

Danny565 said:

Fox, I was in your neck of the woods last night, LRI A&E Majors-absolute chaos!
    I had to take my elderly neighbour who had a fall. Turns out he has multiple spiral fractures in his arm. The staff were mostly superb, but really, there did seem a point at which they were almost overwhelmed.

• Options
    Omnium said:

I agree. However the British system has weakened, and the standards by which we judge ourselves are weaker. Perhaps though it's merely that the reputation of the powerful is far more open to scrutiny than it has been before.

What is sure, is that the British model had admirers. We should undoubtedly consider very carefully whether such merit has somehow vanished.
    To a large extent the British model lives on in other Common Law countries. What should matter to us is trying to resurrect it within our own country. Something we cannot do as long as we remain a member of the EU.
  • Options

The Scottish people and their state have, thus far, chosen to remain members of the United Kingdom.

For much of that time obliged really, and they had no real state.

A small minority of the Scottish people have however chosen to whinge, bleat, and generally be disgruntled. There may be very good reasons why they have done so, but there are also good reason why the majority of Scottish people have just got on with life.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I would not count on an NHS crisis next winter. Plans are afoot, and some of the pilots have worked well, noticeably in our A/E in Leicester which used to be one of the worst scoring in the country. Our new Trust management have had quite a bit of DoH to implement best practice picked from other Trusts. For all his faults Hunt has done a good job as minister. No news on the NHS is good news as far as the Tories are concerned.

Sorting out rogue management has prevented another Stafford scandal, though I hear rumours about one or two places. Ringfencing the NHS budget has helped, something Labour would not promise in 2010. Much to do still, but the NHS is a better place to work than five years ago.

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Danny565 said:

Yes, it tells you that irrational prejudice dominates over everything else in politics, alas for the country, as many may discover if we end up with PM Miliband.
    Oh, it's the people's fault if they don't elect a Tory government ! That's democracy from a Tory.
  • Options
    By the way, in light of the recent Michael Gove/WW1 controversy, PBers may like to watch Max Hastings documentary on BBC2 tonight at 9pm "The Necessary War"
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall

You've taken me a little out of my depth I'm afraid. Overall our historical systems have served us well, but I wouldn't necessarily assert their superiority - it would after all be a bit odd if others hadn't spotted that if it were true. What perhaps was once true, and perhaps isn't now, is that we had the people that could make the system really work. Perhaps though it has always been such.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Oh, it's the people's fault if they don't elect a Tory government ! That's democracy from a Tory.

That's just democracy isn't it?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    edited February 2014

I think the "in my opinion" bit is more valid that the "with certainty" bit? I'd have said the opposite, with certainty. It's rather than the same way that one says I'm certain I put my keys here, which means I really think I did, but, er...

As antifrank observes, the truth is perhaps somewhere in between. Perhaps the difference is in whether we feel that moving closer so it becomes (even?) more true is an appealing prospect or not.

Anyway, thanks for the exchange - nice to see that it's possible to have a civilised discussion even about Europe...

On topic, as DavidL observes, this sample simply seems a happier bunch altogether. That may be a sample error - we've seen contentedness appear and disappear before. I must say I'm not encountering any great passions on the doorstep - a fair number of people are quite settled that they want to switch, but it's mostly LD->Lab without any great feeling of taking a revolutionary step. No single issue stands out.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Danny565 said:

I can only comment on my own experience. I have had relatively good health,and historically always gone private,only because I sold my soul to venture capitalists,who regarded me as an asset to be insured.
    Now I go NHS,and after a lifetime of extreme activities,my body has gone on strike. In the last year I have had 6 visits to A and E,and perhaps 30 visits to GP,and consultants,and treatments etc.
    My personal NHS experience has been fantastic,far better than could be expected. I could easily have afforded to go private,but I think the NHS has done me proud.
    Finally after 3 months on crutches,and 9 months of treatment,I am up and running again,and completed a 10 mile run today.
    Yes I know this is anecdotal,and there will be numerous bad stories,but the MSM only want to publish the bad news.

Fox, I was in your neck of the woods last night, LRI A&E Majors-absolute chaos!
    I had to take my elderly neighbour who had a fall. Turns out he has multiple spiral fractures in his arm. The staff were mostly superb, but really, there did seem a point at which they were almost overwhelmed.

• Options

I think the "in my opinion" bit is more valid that the "with certainty" bit? I'd have said the opposite, with certainty. It's rather than the same way that one says I'm certain I put my keys here, which means I really think I did, but, er...

As antifrank observes, the truth is perhaps somewhere in between. Perhaps the difference is in whether we feel that moving closer so it becomes (even?) more true is an appealing prospect or not.

Anyway, thanks for the exchange - nice to see that it's possible to have a civilised discussion even about Europe...

On topic, as DavidL observes, this sample simply seems a happier bunch altogether. That may be a sample error - we've seen contentedness appear and disappear before. I must say I'm not encountering any great passions on the doorstep - a fair number of people are quite settled that they want to switch, but it's mostly LD->Lab without any great feeling of taking a revolutionary step. No single issue stands out.
    The sample findings reminded me of these words; "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope".
This discussion has been closed.