Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories goes on the offensive with a personal attack aga

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tories goes on the offensive with a personal attack against Ed Miliband – but is this the right approach?

We saw last autumn how the Labour leader was able to turn the Daily Mail attacks on Miliband’s father into a positive and that could happen this time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Odd move by the Tories. Smells of desperation, but they've got 14 months to turn the polls around and an economy that is beginning to come good. Why not put some more faith in their core strategy and circumstances to come good for them?
  • Options
    Yep...because labour have never used personal attacks.... no siree..
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Yep...because labour have never used personal attacks.... no siree..

Of course they have, what's your point? The post by OGH is about the fact that a major Tory election planner is publicly doing it right now, not a claim that the Tories just invented the practice.
  • Options
    Utterly desperate move by Michael Green. Who does the thinking these days at Central Office?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    I think it's quite effective.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'son of a marxist'

as if anybody can choose who their father is....
  • Options
    Not a fan of personalised attacks based on demographics (people don't choose which school to go to, or who their father is).

I also think that negative lines, whilst potentially effective, should be done at arms length. I agree that this is unwise.

However, Labour have no room for complaint given their despicable 'absolutely bloody brilliant' ideas.
  • Options
    I'd have removed the Son of a Marxist line, personally.

But then again, remember when the Labour party personalised it against Andrew Mitchell?

http://www.libdemvoice.org/the-labour-party-plebgate-website-they-no-longer-want-you-to-see-36756.html
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Seems only fair, since the Left have been happy 'Toff baiting' the Tories for years.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    LOL the Tories really are getting desperate, amazing to see such a sign of weakness. When Labour hit back and hit back HARD, lets hear no complaining.

The Tories want to fight an election on class war, on millionaire privileged elites.....ha ha BRING IT ON!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pinkrose said:

LOL the Tories really are getting desperate, amazing to see such a sign of weakness. When Labour hit back and hit back HARD, lets hear no complaining.

The Tories want to fight an election on class war, on millionaire privileged elites.....ha ha BRING IT ON!!

Seems like they don't want to fight the GE as a Class War, which is why this salvo has been fired now, a year early. Might as well get it over with.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2014
    Isn't "ad hominem personal attacks" terrible and horrendous tautology?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ''Seems only fair, since the Left have been happy 'Toff baiting' the Tories for years. ''

I wonder if there's a wider strategy here, linked to the stories in the Mail about NCCL and leading labour figures.

• Options
    I bet the Labour party cannot believe it's luck. If people are against voting for millionaires, sure they might not vote for Miliband BUT they sure as hell won't vote Tory!!

Anyway, Labour are not ahead in the polls and on course to form the next Government because of Ed Miliband but because of Labour. It's is the LABOUR PARTY that people trust and believe in to deliver for them and their families more than the other parties.

Weird very weird almost politically suicidal move by the Tories to focus on wealth, prvilige and politics of the party Leaders!
  • Options

All the tories are doing is questioning the credentials of Ed Miliband to fight a class war. It's not as if he's working class.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,907
    This attack was inevitable. The timing of it is odd though, the Tories must be worried.

It's implementation is rather ill judged and begs to be fired back.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Interesting tactic. I can see the losers ... Ed, and it possibly reminds everyone that they are all toffs. Gainers? Possibly Ukip, so interesting = brave?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, test run, used to see how well (or not) it works during the European Elections, I would guess.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Interesting tactic. I can see the losers ... Ed, and it possibly reminds everyone that they are all toffs. Gainers? Possibly Ukip, so interesting = brave?

UKIP, lead by wealthy, former Dulwich College educated, 'City Boy' Nigel Farage? The son of a stockbroker too. That's another very privileged life.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    I'm all in favour of personal attacks against Ed Miliband, because I think that, nice chap though he may be, he'd be an absolutely disastrous PM, even worse than Brown, who at least didn't set out to be anti-business. Miliband's bizarre mixture of cheap opportunism, irresponsibility, naivety, ruthlessness, and flip-flopping is a recipe for disaster. In the worst scenario, it's even possible that he actually believes all the garbage he comes up with, although I concede that it is hard to believe that any grown-up could sincerely advocate banning the marketing of houses abroad.

However, this particular personal attack is rather feeble. It should be binned.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,065
    edited February 2014
    There's an interesting question: which party offers a horny-handed son of the soil with no school or political connections, the best opportunity to become a senior politician?

Well Labour allows it if your parents are already highly connected (e.g. the Milibands or Harman), or if you become a union official early on. Otherwise it looks much harder to go down the Nick Palmer route, although even he had non-ordinary schooling. To do well, you have to appear part of the club.

School connections obviously matter to the Conservatives, but they also have a fair few ex-manual workers - including a miner. It seems that it helps to have run a business or otherwise found a way to make money. To do well, you have to appear part of the club.

In both the Conservatives and Labour, connections can be massively important.

As for the Lib Dems: being male seems to help there ...

In truth, there seems precious little difference between all three parties. I therefore propose one party where it might be easiest to become a politician from an 'ordinary' background: UKIP.

edit: the above is slightly tongue in cheek ...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Patrick said:
    It was always that , just Westminster and media are too stupid to read or listen to what was said.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    FPT
    viewcode said:

» show previous quotes
    May I suggest that the senior SNP personnel, whilst clever and successful politicians and perfectly nice people, do not actually know how to administer an independent state?

The Irish, following their war of independence and *during* a destructive civil war, managed to construct a functional civil service, police service, prison service, border control, government, legislature, judiciary, tax collection, ambassadorial accreditation to all the counties of the world, every appurtenance of a modern state, within about six years of independence. Even if they had to tie the punt to the pound, they still managed to do it.

Wheras the SNP senior staff think Scotland is in the EU (it isn't), the Commonwealth (it isn't), don't need a central bank (you really do) nor an independent currency (you lose a lot of control if you don't have one), think the border will be where they want it (it won't be), etc, etc, etc...

I recognise the right of the Scots to an independent country and that the referendum might actually create one. This isn't meant to dispute that. What I am saying is that the SNP don't come across as knowing what they're doing.

Assuming you are a worldwide expert, that has me shaking in my boots. Personally I would say you are a deluded fool who is talking out of his posterior about something which he has no clue about.
  • Options
    Amazing to see how low the Tories have sunk. Labour won't care less about this type of ad. An election fought on class war, who is the richest or most privileged is NOT going to benefit the Tories.

It's just so crazy to see a party that used to be such a dominant election winning machine becoming soooo desperate!
  • Options
    Thewatcher,

"UKIP, lead by wealthy, former Dulwich College educated, 'City Boy' Nigel Farage? The son of a stockbroker too. That's another very privileged life."

Of course, but the Ukip ethos suggests they may brush that off. And they're not the attackers or attacked, so they may gain.

The SNP are doing OK on the line that goes ... "Don't rust the others, they're politicians and therefore lying."

• Options
    If the Conservatives are trashing Ed Miliband and Labour trash Grant Shapps in response, I expect the Conservatives will be very happy about that.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Take out "son of a Marxist"-no son or daughter is responsible for their parent's beliefs anyway-and you have the Tories' self-parody of Cameron,not very clever for a lightweight party chairman.
    No wonder the Tories want to get rid of him or whichever multiple personality he chooses to be at the time.
  • Options
    I see that the George Tax has lasted precisely one week.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The Conservatives would have tested this line of attack with focus groups and internal polling before proceeding with it.

The public are also fickle about "personal attacks". They say they don't like them but historical precedent indicates they take the message on board especially if the message passes the sniff test.
  • Options
    Just got something in the post from the Conservative candidate. Interesting, considering it's over a year to the election. Perhaps they fancy their chances at crushing Balls.
  • Options
    It's clearly aimed at a very specific demographic: formerly Tory voting UKIP supporters who read the Daily Mail. It may also make some current Tories feel better. Most of the rest of the electorate will ignore it or just see it as "nasty". I imagine Labour will be doing similar stuff about Tory millionaires and their backgrounds. Neither major party is remotely interested in engaging with supporters - actual or potential - of the other. Labour's focus is core + 2010 LDs; the Tories are focused on core + UKIP. The centre is there for the taking. In normal times that would be great news for the LDs ....
  • Options
    On a point of detail, why is "Millionaire" given a capital M?
  • Options
    Shock poll finding of the day from YouGov's @PeterKellner1
    The group least likely to vote UKIP are Guardian readers
    http://goo.gl/GlGTVQ
  • Options
    Mr. W, it's interesting to compare what the public say they want/like with what the reality is. In focus-group testing of the Bioshock Infinite cover art a man with a gun (which is what they went with) was very popular, but some have suggested people (especially chaps) just say that because it's expected. The Last of Us having Ellie (as well as Joel) on the cover didn't exactly dampen sales.

Book covers are also interesting to look at. Hoods, bare daggers, silhouetted/dark figures are all pretty common in fantasy.
  • Options
    Another Aberdeen poll, perhaps not with the profound authority of the P&J one conducted by the bridal event organisers, but relevant to what Dave is blathering on about today.

'70% of North Sea Oil workers in favour of Independence'

http://tinyurl.com/o8gfb9p
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

@Pinkrose

You are very insistent that the rich should pay a lot more tax and I would like a cogent reason as to why.

I have been working with a scientist to build up an international business, during which he has had to make immense personal and financial sacrifices that have affected markedly his family. He has ploughed back all profits to grow the business and employ people and he has paid himself the minimum and not had a holiday for ten years and works about 12 hours per day, seven days a week. . So now as the business is becoming successful, why should he pay more tax and especially more tax on employing people which tax Labour loves so much?

He may as well move the business out of the UK to a less highly taxed regime - so why should he keep it here?

In the same manner why should James Dyson keep his business in the UK, as he sacrificed a lot in the early days of developing his inventions?

Overtaxing the wealth creators will drive them away overseas and so offer fewer employment opportunities in the UK.

• Options
    Mr. Antifrank, could be a shitty absence of proof-reading or a deliberate subtle effort to link Millionaire and Marxist.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If the Conservatives are trashing Ed Miliband and Labour trash Grant Shapps in response, I expect the Conservatives will be very happy about that.

The problem with ad is that it reads more about Cameron than it does about Ed. If Major was the Tory leader the line would make sense. With Cameron it doesn't.

Why do the Tories need to attack Ed Milliband now and do it so directly? Normally this sort of thing is done at arms length.

Ed must be making headway in private polls.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I'd have removed the Son of a Marxist line, personally.

But then again, remember when the Labour party personalised it against Andrew Mitchell?

http://www.libdemvoice.org/the-labour-party-plebgate-website-they-no-longer-want-you-to-see-36756.html

I assume that line is there as it is ideologically opposed to the Millionaire, therefore the implication is duplicitous and untrustworthy.

The remainder is a shot at undermining his only (so far) selling point, as a champion of ordinary people.

I understand why they have done it, and why now. These concepts take time to filter into public acceptance, if they want to diminish the 'Ed, Champion of the consumer and ordinary bloke' image, then best start early.
  • Options
    I can't find a flaw in this Larry Elliott article on the SNP leadership's approach to securing a Yes:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/23/scottish-referendum-salmond-independence-oil

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    New Populus VI: Lab 37 (-1); Cons 32 (=); LD 10 (+1); UKIP 15 (+2); Oth 6 (-2)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, what sort of personal attacks should the Tories be making against Ed?

I'd suggest binning the 'son of a Maxist' and the 'millionaire' bits (with or without a capital M), but the message that Ed is out of touch is a good one. The message should be that he's out with the fairies, not that he's privileged (a battleground which, as our Labour friends have already pointed out with glee, is one the Tories won't win). Ed's Achilles' heel is his love of wonkish and impractical abstractions, his tendency to view everything as an exercise in political theory completely unrelated to reality. The Tories should find a pithy way of going for that.
  • Options

CD13 said:

UKIP, lead by wealthy, former Dulwich College educated, 'City Boy' Nigel Farage? The son of a stockbroker too. That's another very privileged life.
    Yep. I am afraid that UKIP are in no position to comment on the wealth/private school backgrounds of the other party leaders.

That said they do have a line of attack on 'real world' given that Farage has actually had a proper job outside of politics unlike the other leaders.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, that's not necessarily the case.

Basically, Cameron beats Miliband, Labour beats Conservative. The Conservatives are trying to get and keep Miliband (and his alleged flaws) in the public consciousness.
  • Options

Just got something in the post from the Conservative candidate. Interesting, considering it's over a year to the election. Perhaps they fancy their chances at crushing Balls.

Or perhaps it shows a flawed targetting policy? CON resources should be going into the defence of vulnerable seats.

• Options
    If the Conservatives were to attack their political opponents as the offspring of Christians, Jews or Muslims, they would rightly be attacked for inflammatory religious prejudice, bordering on outright sectarianism. I fail to see how attacks on other religions are judged acceptable.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, the floods shot of water gushing into Miliband's little boots should be used by the Conservatives. It combines a lack of preparation and forethought with the suggestion (by some) that he viewed the floods as a source of photo opportunities (the same charge can be levelled at the Coalition as well, but they have the defence that they were making decisions and that seeing the situation and being seen to see it actually mattered).
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    The quangocracy / nomenklatura is potentially Con's version of Labour's Eton attack as the only qualification for membership is involvement in student politics and it provides a gravy train for life.
  • Options

Or perhaps it shows a flawed targetting policy? CON resources should be going into the defence of vulnerable seats.

I'd say it's got all the same merits and demerits as Labour's decapitation strategy for Nick Clegg. Though the Conservatives probably have marginally more of a chance against Ed Balls than Labour have against Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    Mr. Town, Marxism is a political belief not a religion. Labour should be wary of playing that card after the Michael Howard/Shylock posters.

Mr. Smithson, Balls has a 1,000 vote majority. I expect this to balloon next time because there's a sizeable BNP vote to deflate, and the Lib Dems have quite a few to shed as well.

However, perhaps it suggests the Conservatives will try and take X number of Labour seats instead of operating a purely defensive campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    pinkrose said:

I bet the Labour party cannot believe it's luck. If people are against voting for millionaires, sure they might not vote for Miliband BUT they sure as hell won't vote Tory!!

Anyway, Labour are not ahead in the polls and on course to form the next Government because of Ed Miliband but because of Labour. It's is the LABOUR PARTY that people trust and believe in to deliver for them and their families more than the other parties.

Weird very weird almost politically suicidal move by the Tories to focus on wealth, prvilige and politics of the party Leaders!

Labour aren't ahead by very much, in terms of voting intention; are believed to have their hearts in the right place, and to be in touch with ordinary people, BUT are widely believed to be incompetent, incapable of taking tough decisions, and to blame for the last economic recession.

Labour lead on being in touch; the Conservatives lead on being competent. The next election will turn on whether people prefer likeability or competence.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheLastBoyScout

'Utterly desperate move by Michael Green. Who does the thinking these days at Central Office?'

Chuka Harrison?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

I'd suggest binning the 'son of a Maxist' and the 'millionaire' bits (with or without a capital M), but the message that Ed is out of touch is a good one. The message should be that he's out with the fairies, not that he's privileged (a battleground which, as our Labour friends have already pointed out with glee, is one the Tories won't win). Ed's Achilles' heel is his love of wonkish and impractical abstractions, his tendency to view everything as an exercise in political theory completely unrelated to reality. The Tories should find a pithy way of going for that.

Ditch Son of a Marxist, and replace with Son of Satan.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Another Aberdeen poll, perhaps not with the profound authority of the P&J one conducted by the bridal event organisers, but relevant to what Dave is blathering on about today.

Actually a "survey" rather than a scientific poll.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014

Ed's Achilles' heel is his love of wonkish and impractical abstractions, his tendency to view everything as an exercise in political theory completely unrelated to reality. The Tories should find a pithy way of going for that.

Far from it. If Miliband were really "theoretical", he might be encouraged to think systematically and coherently. Like all other major politicians, he advocates a series of mutually inconsistent ad hoc set of policies which are the antithesis of "theory". He would side with the "practice" of Edward P. Thompson over the "theory" of Perry R. Anderson on every occasion.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

I'd agree with this. "Ed doesn't live in the real world" is a much better line. It shows a fair degree of political geek obsession to use Marxist as an insult (just because the occupants of the Tories' echo-chamber see it as the worst thing possible doesn't mean that the comrade in the street finds it any worse than "capitalist"). Wealth and privilege aren't going to stick as accusations, because the perception is already that all politicians are an out of touch elite.

Ed's main weapon is to make a romantic argument for a better world where everyone has a pet unicorn; the Tories' weapon is to say "we'd love to give you a unicorn too, but grown ups know that there's not enough money".
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

"The message should be that he's out with the fairies, not that he's privileged (a battleground which, as our Labour friends have already pointed out with glee, is one the Tories won't win)."

They can't win it but neutralizing it with "they're all the same" is a relative win.
  • Options

Essentially attacking Milliband as a SPAD will not work. Cameron and Osborne are also SPADS who have their own pet theories like the Big Society.
  • Options

C'mon, Morley and Outwood is Conservative target number 11 (in terms of swing). Of course they're going to put resources into it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    @Life_ina_market_town - yes, I didn't say he was particularly good at political theory.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Bet it is a lot more scientific than the PG Tips one
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    taffys said:

'son of a marxist'

as if anybody can choose who their father is....

still a posh boy millionaire though isn't he?

• Options
    @Richard_Nabavi

'So, what sort of personal attacks should the Tories be making against Ed? '

That he's just an ordinary guy that lives in a £2.3 million house with a £400,000 mortgage that's never had a job in the real world.

'Revealed: Ed Miliband's Bollinger bolsheviks » The Spectator
    www.spectator.co.uk/spectator-life/spectator-life.../socialist-climbing/‎
    21 Sep 2013 - Under the new politics that Ed Miliband heralded when he won the Labour ... attorney general Emily Thornberry has a growing property empire.
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    I think the aim of this campaign is neutralise Labour's "out of touch Tories" line. In other (unspoken) words, they are just as bad as we are. It suggests the "out of touch" line is actually hurting the Conservatives.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Funny, there's not a mention of 'polling' among the wide range of talents advertised on the Ideas In Partnership website. Perhaps when they publish there methodology we can see how scientific their poll is. How would you describe the main difference between a poll and a survey?
  • Options

Mr. Town, Marxism is a political belief not a religion. Labour should be wary of playing that card after the Michael Howard/Shylock posters.

Let me quote the great Leszek Kołakowski:
    Marxism performs the function of a religion, and its efficacy is of a religious character. But it is a caricature and a bogus form of religion, since it presents its temporal eschatology as a scientific system, which religious mythologies do not purport to be. [Main Currents, (London, 1 vol edit: 2008), p. 1208]
  • Options
    Mr. Town, performing the function and being something are not synonymous. To use Red Dwarf as an example, Rachel performs the function of Rimmer's girlfriend, but she's actually an inflatable doll.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The Cons have absolutely nothingb to lose with this one..They have always been pointed out as being Posh, Rich,Out of touch, and just across the Desparch box is another bunch...,just like them.
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    The really striking thing is how similar David Cameron, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg are. The same insult could apply equally to all them. - Apart from being a son of a Marxist, which isn't in Ed Miliband's control. It's not obviously worse than being sons of rich capitalists like the other two.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. 42. Welcome to pb.com, incidentally.
  • Options
    Mr. T, please do feel free to ask how long I could go without having three books in Amazon's top 10 :p
  • Options
    In other news, Heroes is reportedly coming back to TV. Whilst I rather liked the first series (though it had its flaws) the later ones were rather lacklustre and it was too soapy (not enough characters actually died).

I've also heard a new Farscape film is being considered. That'd be bloody weird. It was odd enough seeing Browder and Black together in Stargate.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:
    It was always that , just Westminster and media are too stupid to read or listen to what was said.
    Indeed. You have it to the posh idiots and bubble thinkers on PB. Next thing they'll be trying to claim millionaire son of a marxist was theirs in their drunken stupidity.
  • Options
    Mr. T, depends whether sterlingisation is a settled plan B. I wonder if/when it'll start having an impact on Scotland's financial sector. Can't imagine it'll be thrilled to have no lender of last resort.

Hmm. It's also false, now I think about it.

If Scotland has to apply to join euroland then they'll have to have the euro as their currency. So, perhaps the use of sterling would just be for a short period prior to which Scotland will hand its monetary policy from London to Brussels.

Funny sort of independence.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, please do feel free to ask how long I could go without having three books in Amazon's top 10 :p

I presumed you'd already achieved that.

Re Salmond, he's cornered now. Sterlingisation is disastrous - an actively, provably foolish policy that endangers Scotland's economy. Can he possibly sell this?

If the Better Togetherers can't tear him to pieces, on this question, then they need to resign en masse in favour of people with actual brains.

The Larry Elliott article from Sunday's Observer I link to below nails it totally.

Salmond and Sturgeon are (knowingly) peddling fibs. They do not trust Scots to vote Yes if they are told the truth.

• Options

Mr. Town, performing the function and being something are not synonymous. To use Red Dwarf as an example, Rachel performs the function of Rimmer's girlfriend, but she's actually an inflatable doll.

Philosophical belief is protected under religious discrimination laws:

http://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKEAT/2009/0219_09_0311.html

"(i) The belief must be genuinely held.
    (ii) It must be a belief and not, as in McClintock, an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available.
    (iii) It must be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour.
    (iv) It must attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance.
    (v) It must be worthy of respect in a democratic society, be not incompatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others (paragraph 36 of Campbell and paragraph 23 of Williamson)."

Rather amusingly, Marxism itself has become an opiate of the people.

No one seemed to pick up on it (probably because it was too batty an idea to be taken seriously in the first place), but the Greens' proposal to purge anyone who believed that anthropogenic global warming wasn't happening from the upper ranks of government might well have fallen foul of this protection.
  • Options
    Sony win as Microsoft blinks:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26325354

Pretty much as everyone expected.
  • Options
    The last sentence of the tory attack 'that's why I understand ordinary people' makes me think there are going to be some populist things in the budget, such as a hike in property stamp duty thresholds/income tax thresholds/fuel tax cuts.

• Options
    I think the attack line should be competence - the PM always has an advantage there (Gordon and no time for a novice).

Something along the lines of "Ah, bless, he means well, but would you want him embarrassing you at a G8 meeting?"
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:
    Indeed. You have it to the posh idiots and bubble thinkers on PB. Next thing they'll be trying to claim millionaire son of a marxist was theirs in their drunken stupidity.
    Alex Salmond himself didn't know this last Monday.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Russian Foreign Ministry: "Dictatorial and terrorist measures" being used in some regions of Ukraine to suppress dissent...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cheap and cheerful place to have a few drinks just off Sukhomvit Road in Bangkok:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1550648-Reviews-Old_Dutch-Bangkok.html
  • Options

In other news, Heroes is reportedly coming back to TV. Whilst I rather liked the first series (though it had its flaws) the later ones were rather lacklustre and it was too soapy (not enough characters actually died).

I've also heard a new Farscape film is being considered. That'd be bloody weird. It was odd enough seeing Browder and Black together in Stargate.

That would make Mrs J's life. She loves Farscape, and has the world's biggest girl-crush on Claudia Black.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Meanwhile another out of touch posh dope ventures forth with an entire glass cabinet of millionaires.
    Independence ‏@YesVoteScots 3m

Do you believe that Scotland NEEDS the UK to handle it's oil and gas? Cameron said today that we do... #toowee #toosmall #toostupid
    Can't see how that could backfire on the fop chicken and the 'brains' behind the omnishambles. (which was cheered on PB by the usual amusing idiots)

*CHORTLE*
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:
    Funny, PB's favourite Somerset-based Cybernat seemed to know it 10 days ago.

'(*Nicola Sturgeon all but screamed the Scottish Government’s “Plan B” on currency into Andrew Neil’s ear on the Daily Politics yesterday. Once again, Neil and the rest of the nation’s media either just weren’t listening, or didn’t understand basic Politician. Anyone still telling you we don’t know what “Plan B” is is a slack-jawed halfwit.)'

http://tinyurl.com/o9sf42q

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Re Salmond, he's cornered now. Sterlingisation is disastrous - an actively, provably foolish policy that endangers Scotland's economy. Can he possibly sell this?

If the Better Togetherers can't tear him to pieces, on this question, then they need to resign en masse in favour of people with actual brains.

The Larry Elliott article from Sunday's Observer I link to below nails it totally.

Salmond and Sturgeon are (knowingly) peddling fibs. They do not trust Scots to vote Yes if they are told the truth.

Yes. Salmond is actively lying, and apparently doesn't care about damaging Scotland just as long as he wins. He's gone from guileful to venal.

It's always been the tactic: say and do whatever it takes to get a Yes, then work from there. They are nationalists above all else. And for nationalists of whatever kind, independence of whatever kind is the goal. Nothing else matters.

• Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    taffys said:

The last sentence of the tory attack 'that's why I understand ordinary people' makes me think there are going to be some populist things in the budget, such as a hike in property stamp duty thresholds/income tax thresholds/fuel tax cuts.

Going to be challenging to combine that with "you can't trust Labour to pay down the debt", isn't it?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    SeanT said:

I'm not sure tearing him apart will do better together any good. He will sell independence on dual pitch of:

1) an emotional level aimed at the national identity / chip on shoulder / Braveheart target
    2) on a we will be better off because those thieving Londoners aren't dipping sticky fingers into our oil well / till

If they tear him to bits, revert to 1). in spades.

He will avoid facts as they are empirical, may well not be on his side, and I don't think he needs them, as he plays the emotional card.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, I did not know that. I do wonder whether we'd be in a much better world if morality were confined to philosophy and religion handled ritual.

Mr. Jessop, yeah, I was a bit unsurprised by that. The Kinect is really not something I'd want, and Microsoft's dodgy DRM desires were rather off-putting.

Mr. Jessop (again), she must be delighted that Dragon Age Inquisition (out later this year, probably) will feature Morrigan, voiced by Claudia Black. Got to say I'm looking forward to that (it's my only dead cert purchase for videogames this year).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    If going for Ed Miliband makes Grant Schapps vulnerable, then as long as it's Mutually Assured Destruction, that's a price worth paying. One is asking you to make him Prime Minister.

There are so few attack lines Labour have. Bedroom tax. Millionaire's Tax Cuts. Bankers are Satan's Spawn.

The Co-op has done for one of those arguments. Pointing out Miliband is a millionaire makes the "only the posh friend's of Dave benefiting" line look as crass as it always was and gnaws away at another.

Which leaves Labour fighting the election on the repeal of the Bedroom Tax. Maybe. If they can find the money....

Against that - "Don't let Labour feck it all up. Yet again."

Oh, and "Ed Balls wants your First Born sold into slavery...."
  • Options
    Sort of on topic, some vile Cybernat humour.

http://tinyurl.com/nrkfcte

At least they didn't call him a millionaire son of a dodgy stockbroker.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Mick_Pork said:

malcolmg said:

Patrick said:
    Funny, PB's favourite Somerset-based Cybernat seemed to know it 10 days ago.

'(*Nicola Sturgeon all but screamed the Scottish Government’s “Plan B” on currency into Andrew Neil’s ear on the Daily Politics yesterday. Once again, Neil and the rest of the nation’s media either just weren’t listening, or didn’t understand basic Politician. Anyone still telling you we don’t know what “Plan B” is is a slack-jawed halfwit.)'

http://tinyurl.com/o9sf42q

Explain the lengthy references to the George Tax last week in the context of this week's Plan B. Do not attempt to write on both sides of the paper at the same time.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. Salmond is actively lying, and apparently doesn't care about damaging Scotland just as long as he wins. He's gone from guileful to venal.
    We'll see precisely who the scottish public trusts because unless you've been drinking very heavily again it's somewhat unlikely to be out of touch PB right wingers and the incompetent fops.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, if sterlingisation were so obvious why did Salmond dream of a George Tax?
  • Options
    'better together'
    GRL ‏@wotanson 44m

Nick Clegg calls for Alistair Darling to quit over expenses claims. http://owl.li/tVWRY #indyref #bettertogether

:)
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Sort of on topic, some vile Cybernat humour.

http://tinyurl.com/nrkfcte

At least they didn't call him a millionaire son of a dodgy stockbroker.

Piss poor Photoshop effort. I hope it was a freebie.

• Options
    @Mick_Pork

What happened to Salmond's caste iron sterling currency union or was he just bluffing and knew plan B was the only realistic choice?

Chortle
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

We'll see precisely who the scottish public trusts because unless you've been drinking very heavily again it's somewhat unlikely to be out of touch PB right wingers and the incompetent fops.

If the Scots vote Yes because they believe Unionist politicians are lying then we are all better off going our own ways.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    philiph said:

He will sell independence on dual pitch of:

1) an emotional level aimed at the national identity / chip on shoulder / Braveheart target
    2) on a we will be better off because those thieving Londoners aren't dipping sticky fingers into our oil well / till

If they tear him to bits, revert to 1). in spades.

He will avoid facts as they are empirical, may well not be on his side, and I don't think he needs them, as he plays the emotional card.

The Nats are resorting to a line of argument that makes the Creationists seem compellingly science-based in comparison.

A Scotland that votes for independence on the basis of what the SNP is selling is going to be a fascinatingly weird parallel universe.
This discussion has been closed.