Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Based on current polls the betting markets are understating

SystemSystem Posts: 11,703
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Based on current polls the betting markets are understating Labour’s chances of an overall majority

Betfair’s next general election overall majority market was set up a couple of months after May 2010 and in the early period the price on a CON majority soared to 40%+.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    - "A hung parliament should not be favourite"

Agreed. I have thought that since the very first bookie prices for the 2015 UK GE were posted, way back in May (?) 2010. I think Ladbrokes were first out with prices, only a couple of weeks after the 2010 UK GE.

Antifrank was a strong advocate of a hung parliament back in that first year of debate. I think he has bought himself into a heavy NOM position, cos he kept saying he was buying a little each month. I always thought he was bonkers. Not for buying NOM, but for buying NOM at such ridiculously short prices.

My basic point back then, and it is still the same point now, is that if the Lib Dem group of MPs is smaller than it was in 2010, and nobody argues that it won't be, then it gets harder and harder to hit the Hung Parliament "sweet point". The smaller the Lib Dem group, the harder it gets, untill the "sweet point" almost vanishes.

I say "almost", because of course you've got 18 NI MPs, a few SNP/PC MPs, a Green, and perhaps a few "others" next time (UKIP, Ind?), but unless anybody wants to forecast a quadrupling of the number of SNP MPs (I don't) AND a No vote at the IndyRef (I don't) then even a dramatic increase in the size of the SNP/PC group of MPs cannot surely compensate for the (huge?) decrease in the size of the Lib Dem group of MPs.

So, even if/when the Lab/Con poll difference narrows, and it will (probably soon IMO), it will STILL be extremely difficult to hit the HP/NOM "sweet spot".

It's all about statistics stupid.
  • Options
    The one that's obviously wrong is Con Maj. If NOM isn't really that likely, Con Maj is even less likely.

I think Lab Maj and NOM should be about the same. By-election swingback seems to point pretty much at the border between those two. Labour will have to beat a lot of first-time incumbents to get a majority, and a certain amount of the UKIP vote (not all of it) is likely to revert to Con, especially in the Lab/Con marginals.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Poll in today's Aberdeen Press and Journal gives huge lead for No campaign (65%) versus just 17% for independence #indyref
  • Options
    I can imagine this thread will go down like a mug full of chilled elephant's wee with our Conservative colleagues of a Monday morn.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    @Stuart_Dickson

How many Lib Dem seats do you think Labour will win?
  • Options
    @Geoff FPT

It's ridiculous. I think Uefa have been rather pathetic here.
  • Options
    Surely the bookies price up on the basis of what the punters do, among other things. Imagine this parallel universe: the supporters of the Coalition parties and Labour all think it's wrong to bet, whilst UKIP supporters all think it's God's will to do so. What sort of prices would we see then?

I suspect you have to be pretty bloody-minded, if you are parti pris, to bet against your own tribe. (Although I've known a few candidates who bet against themselves, so they'd have at least a consolation prize...)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    As I have said on here before and continue to believe the hypothesis that Labour's vote will be as efficient as it was in 2010 is wrong.

They will get a lot more votes in Con/Lib Dem seats that get them nothing.
    They will get a higher turnout in their safer seats than Gordon Brown could enthuse (if they don't they will lose).
    The tories will lose more of their vote in their safe seats to UKIP.

To get an overall majority Labour cannot assume a repeat of 2005 (probably their absolute peak in terms of efficiency). I think Labour will need a lead of 4-5% to get an overall majority, less than the tories but not much so.

Because of that I think that no overall majority is rightly favourite despite a reduction in Lib Dem seats narrowing the window slightly.

I tend to agree about the tory majority. All of the good economic news over the last 12 months has made far too little difference to date and the trend in their favour is very hard to discern.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

As I have said on here before and continue to believe the hypothesis that Labour's vote will be as efficient as it was in 2010 is wrong.

They will get a higher turnout in their safer seats than Gordon Brown could enthuse (if they don't they will lose).

To get an overall majority Labour cannot assume a repeat of 2005 (probably their absolute peak in terms of efficiency). I think Labour will need a lead of 4-5% to get an overall majority, less than the tories but not much so.

Because of that I think that no overall majority is rightly favourite despite a reduction in Lib Dem seats narrowing the window slightly.

I tend to agree about the tory majority. All of the good economic news over the last 12 months has made far too little difference to date and the trend in their favour is very hard to discern.

Is it possible to calculate the relative efficiencies of Labour's vote in, say, 2001 and 2010?

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I wonder if the links between the Labour Party and PIE will have an impact on VI
  • Options
    @Fox FPT

A missed opportunity. They could have staged a game in a disputed Armenian enclave within Azer - shurly a first for a Uefa tournament? :)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Is it possible to calculate the relative efficiencies of Labour's vote in, say, 2001 and 2010?

It's a bit early for me but:

In 2001 Labour won 432 seats with 10.725m votes giving them a seat for every 24, 826 votes.
    In 2010 they won 258 seats with 8.606m votes giving them a seat for every 29,979 seats.
    In 2005 they won 355 seats with 9.552m giving them a seat for every 37.164 votes so I was wrong about that being a peak.

The difference in the vote from the tories obviously should make a very substantial difference as should the absolute figure (Blair got 43% in 2001) which is what makes the efficiency of the vote in 2010 all the more astonishing. They got a winners bonus for err, losing. I don't believe they can repeat anything like that.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Poll in today's Aberdeen Press and Journal gives huge lead for No campaign (65%) versus just 17% for independence #indyref

Two words spring to mind, "outlier" and "voodoo?"

ICM did a "wisdom" question in their most recent poll, asking people what they thought the result would be : 53:47 to "No" - closer than the 57:43 people said they would vote.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-poll-points-to-close-result-1-3317310
  • Options
    To put this into perspective (and assuming my arithmetic is correct which is a big assumption) if Labour's vote returned to 2005 efficiency levels they could win
    258 x 7185 = 1,853,730 votes without gaining a single seat.

This efficiency is key to a Labour majority. Any corrections to my arithmetic are welcome.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

To put this into perspective (and assuming my arithmetic is correct which is a big assumption) if Labour's vote returned to 2005 efficiency levels they could win

This efficiency is key to a Labour majority. Any corrections to my arithmetic are welcome.

Bless you, David. Surely it's Excel's arithmetic?

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

I wonder if the links between the Labour Party and PIE will have an impact on VI

Unless the Mail has a much bigger story they are sitting on (otherwise why would they resurrect this dead horse to flog it?), then surely "no". There is not the remotest suggestion that the Labour Party was involved with or covered up child abuse (unlike some other institutions), only that 40 years ago a handful of senior figures were working in an organisation that made a few bad choices - it is embarrassing for them, but I suspect their current position of saying nowt is the best. This isn't even "tomorrow's fish & chip paper" - four decades ago, maybe.....

• Options
    Scott_P said:

poll to be taken with a large pinch of salt imho.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's a bit early for me but:

In 2001 Labour won 432 seats with 10.725m votes giving them a seat for every 24, 826 votes.
    In 2010 they won 258 seats with 8.606m votes giving them a seat for every 29,979 33,357 votes.
    In 2005 they won 355 seats with 9.552m giving them a seat for every 37.164 26,907 votes so I was wrong about that being a peak.

The difference in the vote from the tories obviously should make a very substantial difference as should the absolute figure (Blair got 43% in 2001) which is what makes the efficiency of the vote in 2010 all the more astonishing. They got a winners bonus for err, losing. I don't believe they can repeat anything like that.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,070

Scott_P said:

Anything that seems that remarkable is probably ridiculous.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You'd have to guess that's a local poll of the NE area covered by the Press and Journal?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

By George !
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368

- "A hung parliament should not be favourite"

My basic point back then, and it is still the same point now, is that if the Lib Dem group of MPs is smaller than it was in 2010, and nobody argues that it won't be, then it gets harder and harder to hit the Hung Parliament "sweet point". The smaller the Lib Dem group, the harder it gets, untill the "sweet point" almost vanishes.

I say "almost", because of course you've got 18 NI MPs, a few SNP/PC MPs, a Green, and perhaps a few "others" next time (UKIP, Ind?), but unless anybody wants to forecast a quadrupling of the number of SNP MPs (I don't) AND a No vote at the IndyRef (I don't) then even a dramatic increase in the size of the SNP/PC group of MPs cannot surely compensate for the (huge?) decrease in the size of the Lib Dem group of MPs.

So, even if/when the Lab/Con poll difference narrows, and it will (probably soon IMO), it will STILL be extremely difficult to hit the HP/NOM "sweet spot".

Yes, that's been my view for a long time too. It's possible that we will find 2015's Parliament dominated by the big 2 to an extent not seen in recent years despite 25% of the voters going for other parties. An unknown factor is how stringly sitting LibDem MPs will beat the tide - we could do with some polls in a few of them (Lord Ashcroft?).

FPT isam - you think I'm unfit for office because I don't recognise the phrase "The Last Boy Scout"? Bemusedly googling shows it to be an action movie from 1991 (it's one of the periods I was abroad so I have a cultural gap). Was it amazingly good?

On another subject, a constituent asked me for advice at the weekend about naturalisation. She's South African, married to a Brit, and has lived in Britain for 15 years. Her English is as good as mine (though with a slight Afrikaans accent). She's dutifully taken the "living in Britain" test but now has to take the "knowledge of English" test, even though she's spoken English all her life. I've checked it out and the local options are that she can choose between a slow route where she has to pay to attend classes about Jack and Jill and what is a verb, or a fast route where she pays even more money to just take the exam. Specifically to those worried about immigration - wouldn't you agree it was reasonable to have some sort of cheap, quick option where someone could verify in 15 minutes' conversation that the applicant is basically a native English-speaker? I'm in favour of naturalisation requiring a good understanding of English, but isn't this just a tiresome hurdle for those who really do have it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You'd have to guess that's a local poll of the NE area covered by the Press and Journal?
    The NE is the SNP heartland. That poll should not be dismissed, something dramatic has happened.

• Options
    Nick Palmer [8.04] I'm in favour of naturalisation requiring a good understanding of English, but isn't this just a tiresome hurdle for those who really do have it?

When I was staying with family in Canada I was assured that even low-tax libertarians thought milking applicants for citizenship as hard as possible was a spiffing wheeze.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That's probably a good guess. But that's another reason it's ridiculous to make too much out of it, as the final poll will be a national one.

It's not quite as ridiculous as canvassing 'polling' anecdotes, though ...

The timeliness of the poll is that both the UK and Scottish governments are holding cabinets in the Aberdeen area today. It would be interesting to know which government organised theirs first, and who reacted ...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Says N and NE sample size of 500..
  • Options
    P and J poll doesn't cover Somerset....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2014

Specifically to those worried about immigration - wouldn't you agree it was reasonable to have some sort of cheap, quick option where someone could verify in 15 minutes' conversation that the applicant is basically a native English-speaker? I'm in favour of naturalisation requiring a good understanding of English, but isn't this just a tiresome hurdle for those who really do have it?

In theory that is reasonable - but how do you prevent against abuse when it is rolled out on a national scale?
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Unless the Mail has a much bigger story they are sitting on (otherwise why would they resurrect this dead horse to flog it?), then surely "no". There is not the remotest suggestion that the Labour Party was involved with or covered up child abuse (unlike some other institutions), only that 40 years ago a handful of senior figures were working in an organisation that made a few bad choices - it is embarrassing for them, but I suspect their current position of saying nowt is the best. This isn't even "tomorrow's fish & chip paper" - four decades ago, maybe.....

Just read that Carole Malone, Roy Greenslade and someone in the Observer are calling for them to comment. Even Kevin Maguire has tweeted they need to set the record straight.

This is now not just a Mail story, perhaps the BBC should now report it and try to salvage any credibility they still have left.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Might the polling/betting disparity be due to the potential electoral earthquake from north of the border?

As well as losing many MPs, Labour would also probably be hit in the General Election.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Good morning, everyone.

Might the polling/betting disparity be due to the potential electoral earthquake from north of the border?

As well as losing many MPs, Labour would also probably be hit in the General Election.

I think there is a bigger issue going on than that. There are a numerous Labour friendly voters (as opposed to the demented tribal supporters - which all parties have, not only Labour) who don't feel they are ready to return to power yet. In a survey they are Labour, in the little cubicle when the pencil places an X on paper will they remain so?

There is no love for any of the political parties, politicians or the political classes. Milliband failed the 5 minute test of looking initially like a prospective PM, and will always have an uphill battle. LibDems are toast in many areas, Tory party are fighting on left and right with UKIP hurting them.

There is no reason, in betting terms, to back any party. They all look like loosers, and there are good reasons why they all should loose.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    philiph said:

Good morning, everyone.

I think there is a bigger issue going on than that. There are a numerous Labour friendly voters (as opposed to the demented tribal supporters - which all parties have, not only Labour) who don't feel they are ready to return to power yet. In a survey they are Labour, in the little cubicle when the pencil places an X on paper will they remain so?

There is no love for any of the political parties, politicians or the political classes. Milliband failed the 5 minute test of looking initially like a prospective PM, and will always have an uphill battle. LibDems are toast in many areas, Tory party are fighting on left and right with UKIP hurting them.

There is no reason, in betting terms, to back any party. They all look like loosers, and there are good reasons why they all should loose.

"Cry Havoc and loose the dogs of war" in case we lose :-)
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Whilst we have only the polls for information, as well as any local knowledge we may glean, it is quite probable that the WNV, DK and NOTA could be a lot more than the polls capture.

Also, many people could be sitting on their votes until the 2014 results are known.

I have encountered quite a bit of apathy around as many believe that no party can improve the lot of their family and the UK and no party has a credible long term plan to improve matters.

Many pensioners are spending their capital as interest received is very low and many young people are despondent about earning enough to own their home or even start a family. There is quite a bit of anger at the house price bubble which has not burst caused by GB and his policies and they see rents rising as BTL people capitalise on their misfortune. For many of those young people with relevant skills they see the only way to improve their personal lot is to emigrate.

It is certain that the UK has not got the answer to competing in the global economy and many do not see their prospects improving by staying in the UK. For the unskilled they say - why work as we can live on the benefits.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    philiph said:

There are a numerous Labour friendly voters (as opposed to the demented tribal supporters - which all parties have, not only Labour) who don't feel they are ready to return to power yet. In a survey they are Labour, in the little cubicle when the pencil places an X on paper will they remain so?

It's clearly true that none of the parties are attracting huge enthusiasm and the default attitude is "You're all rubbish". Paradoxically, though, I've never encountered fewer "don't know" voters or waverers. Tories often sound live Richard N - you ruined the country, of course i'm not going to vote for you, are you mad? Labour voters (especially ex-LibDems) often sound like IOS - the Tories are just lining the pockets of the rich, ordinary people have no chance, we've just got to get them out, of course I'll vote for you. In both cases the "stop the other lot" theme is dominant, and that's being reinforced by the negativity of media coverage about politics. A year out from past elections, I was used to finding lots of "Dunno, I'll think about it" voters, and they're just rare these days.

That said, I did have one unnerving conversation yesterday.

Me: Knock on door.
    Girl's head from upper window: "Hello!"
    Me: "Er, hi, I'm from Labour, we wondered how you'll be voting next year?"
    Girl: "Is that, like, David Cameron?"
    Me: "No, he's a Tory. We're the other lot."
    Girl: "OK, you've got my vote. Need to put some clothes on. Bye!"

Not entirely convinced.

• Options
    @Nick

You weren't convinced she was telling you the naked truth Nick?
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, if you can't trust a naked woman telling you what you want to hear, who can you trust?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Nick Palmer [8.04] I'm in favour of naturalisation requiring a good understanding of English, but isn't this just a tiresome hurdle for those who really do have it?

When I was staying with family in Canada I was assured that even low-tax libertarians thought milking applicants for citizenship as hard as possible was a spiffing wheeze.

Milking is certainly the word for it. I have a good friend who had her foreign passport and British visa stolen when abroad. She got her passport in two days. On her British visa, she spent hundreds to get it expedited, and it took her a month to get it back. This included having to get her biometrics done again (isn't the point that they're permanent?). The information provided online wasn't clear (I also looked for her), and the help line was £3 a minute, and wouldn't provide you with any case-specific information. Supposedly this was "to protect British taxpayers", which was somewhat nonsensical as she was a British taxpayer and their ineptitude in delays meant she had to miss two weeks of work. I happened to have a contact in the diplomatic service who managed to get me an internal phone number to find out what was happening, and via enough pushing we found out that there was a big delay because one office in UKBA that needed to rubber stamp the process (no actual work) didn't respond to their emails for the best part of a week..
  • Options
    Financier said:

Whilst we have only the polls for information, as well as any local knowledge we may glean, it is quite probable that the WNV, DK and NOTA could be a lot more than the polls capture.

Also, many people could be sitting on their votes until the 2014 results are known.

I have encountered quite a bit of apathy around as many believe that no party can improve the lot of their family and the UK and no party has a credible long term plan to improve matters.

Many pensioners are spending their capital as interest received is very low and many young people are despondent about earning enough to own their home or even start a family. There is quite a bit of anger at the house price bubble which has not burst caused by GB and his policies and they see rents rising as BTL people capitalise on their misfortune. For many of those young people with relevant skills they see the only way to improve their personal lot is to emigrate.

It is certain that the UK has not got the answer to competing in the global economy and many do not see their prospects improving by staying in the UK. For the unskilled they say - why work as we can live on the benefits.

Interesting point about house prices. The government's stoking of the bubble (and failure to build anywhere near enough houses, stifled by the Nimby tendency in their heartlands) has turned my house into a cash machine, appreciating at £2k PCM. It benefits me, but I don't reward the government because deep down I know it's wrong, and I see my staff - who earn well more than the national average - frustrated by being unable to buy.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

philiph said:

There are a numerous Labour friendly voters (as opposed to the demented tribal supporters - which all parties have, not only Labour) who don't feel they are ready to return to power yet. In a survey they are Labour, in the little cubicle when the pencil places an X on paper will they remain so?

It's clearly true that none of the parties are attracting huge enthusiasm and the default attitude is "You're all rubbish". Paradoxically, though, I've never encountered fewer "don't know" voters or waverers. Tories often sound live Richard N - you ruined the country, of course i'm not going to vote for you, are you mad? Labour voters (especially ex-LibDems) often sound like IOS - the Tories are just lining the pockets of the rich, ordinary people have no chance, we've just got to get them out, of course I'll vote for you. In both cases the "stop the other lot" theme is dominant, and that's being reinforced by the negativity of media coverage about politics. A year out from past elections, I was used to finding lots of "Dunno, I'll think about it" voters, and they're just rare these days.

Not entirely convinced.

I also wonder about the quality of the results from canvassing, polling and other unsolicited questioning. The requests for data are now so frequent, be it accident claims, miss selling claims, scammers out to get your money and data and market research that we, the populace are at questioning overload and respond with any old tripe that either gets rid or is just bunkum.

I am sure that as the quantity of questioning goes up the quality of the results will go down.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Surely people like Stephen Fry will be demanding we stop sending foreign aid to India now?

And plenty of people on here who were critical of Russia's attitude to gay people will think it disgusting that we send money to such a government .

Daily Mail Online (@MailOnline)
    24/02/2014 08:47
    India recriminalises homosexuality dailym.ai/1cGAPtA
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Lol, 'Ideas in Partnership', Flashy's gold standard.
    I'm greatly looking forward to your in-depth analysis when IIP publish their methodology.
  • Options

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

Golly, sounds like a set-up for Confessions of a Canvasser. Would you have any objection to your 'part' being played by Robin Askwith?
  • Options

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

Golly, sounds like a set-up for Confessions of a Canvasser. Would you have any objection to your 'part' being played by Robin Askwith?
    A lady in Scotland was given an Asbo a few years ago for insisting on opening the door to the milkman and various other visitors in Ann Summers lingerie and a smile. She also insisted on sunbathing naked in her garden as I recall.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    You can tell Labour are in a strong-ish poition given the Daily Mail's laughably desperate paedophile smear campaign.

If I was to predict anything - Lab to maybe fall over the line panting and gasping, with a small majority, and with little if no help from seat gains anwhere in the south and south east.

The most divisive election since the war.
  • Options
    isam said:

Surely people like Stephen Fry will be demanding we stop sending foreign aid to India now?

And plenty of people on here who were critical of Russia's attitude to gay people will think it disgusting that we send money to such a government .

It's very strange and shocking that progress is even being reversed in this area.
  • Options
    Ho ho. Nice to see the Voodooist surgers out in force today.

Brit nat complacency = bad news for Darling
  • Options

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

A lady in Scotland was given an Asbo a few years ago for insisting on opening the door to the milkman and various other visitors in Ann Summers lingerie and a smile. She also insisted on sunbathing naked in her garden as I recall.
    Brave lass in our climate.
    In my experience the erotic possibilities in door knocking are less than zero.

• Options

Financier said:

Interesting point about house prices. The government's stoking of the bubble (and failure to build anywhere near enough houses, stifled by the Nimby tendency in their heartlands) has turned my house into a cash machine, appreciating at £2k PCM. It benefits me, but I don't reward the government because deep down I know it's wrong, and I see my staff - who earn well more than the national average - frustrated by being unable to buy.
    Did you reward Labour by voting for them in 2010, after 13 years of massive house price inflation? Surely that was equally wrong?

Neither Labour, the Conservatives, the Lib Dems or UKIP have the answer in house prices (at the best they fiddle at the margins) shows that either the problem is a political hot potato they do not want to touch, or/and that the problem is intractable within society - we are wedded to owning detached houses as an ideal, with a garden and garage.

We also do not hear much about the problems in the countryside, where locals simply cannot afford to live, and where incomers often only live for two or three months of the year. This - rather than the Lib Dems mansion tax - is the sort of area where the focus should go, and would help fix no end of housing and societal problems.

Sadly, it would also cause any government that proposed to bring it in during peacetime to lose an election.
  • Options
    philiph said:

There is no reason, in betting terms, to back any party. They all look like losers, and there are good reasons why they all should lose.

And this is the enduring appeal of UKIP, the anti-politics party for people who are sick of the lot of them. Why aren't ex-Tories running back home in fear of Labour? Because the Tories are just as bad. Why are ex Labour voters goingb UKIP in working class seats? Because Labour do nothing for them. Those people wedded to one of the big parties scoff at Garage attacking LibLabCon but it resonates with the disillusioned and disaffected.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

I'm greatly looking forward to your in-depth analysis when IIP publish their methodology.
    I made no comment on the quality of the poll but 500 isn't big is it ?- that is all the info available on the P+J website.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3587342

"A Press and Journal-commissioned poll has revealed support for Scottish independence has dipped across the north and north-east over the last year.
    The survey conducted after last week’s intervention from Chancellor George Osborne on currency found that 65% of respondents intend to vote “no” in September’s referendum.
    Just 17% of 500 people questioned said they will be voting “yes”, while 18% said they were still undecided.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal "

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    @NickPalmer - You weren't entirely convinced she needed to put her clothes on?
  • Options

Financier said:

Did you reward Labour by voting for them in 2010, after 13 years of massive house price inflation? Surely that was equally wrong?

Neither Labour, the Conservatives, the Lib Dems or UKIP have the answer in house prices (at the best they fiddle at the margins) shows that either the problem is a political hot potato they do not want to touch, or/and that the problem is intractable within society - we are wedded to owning detached houses as an ideal, with a garden and garage.

We also do not hear much about the problems in the countryside, where locals simply cannot afford to live, and where incomers often only live for two or three months of the year. This - rather than the Lib Dems mansion tax - is the sort of area where the focus should go, and would help fix no end of housing and societal problems.

Sadly, it would also cause any government that proposed to bring it in during peacetime to lose an election.
    No. I didn't vote Labour in 2010.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

I made no comment on the quality of the poll but 500 isn't big is it ?- that is all the info available on the P+J website.

"A Press and Journal-commissioned poll has revealed support for Scottish independence has dipped across the north and north-east over the last year.
    The survey conducted after last week’s intervention from Chancellor George Osborne on currency found that 65% of respondents intend to vote “no” in September’s referendum.
    Just 17% of 500 people questioned said they will be voting “yes”, while 18% said they were still undecided.

The P&J used them for a similar poll last year.
    They have one of the most awful websites that it's been my misfortune to come across. Organising bridal wear exhibitions seems to be one of their other specialities.

http://www.ideasinpartnership.co.uk/market-research.html

• Options
    I don't think that the partisans on either side are best placed to judge what motivates floating voters. Yet it's always the partisans who shout loudest about this. Very often on the basis of conversations which consist of the partisan having lectured others at length on their views, and being told "I agree" to shut them up.

We can all be guilty of projecting our views onto others. The best way to get past this is to talk less and listen more. There are few who engage in politics who grasp this simple truth.
  • Options

Fair enough.

As a possibly-not-very-interesting aside, the value of my house seems to have increased by rather a large amount in the last few months, something I put down to the opening of a brand new secondary school (or village college in Cambridgeshire terms) a short amble away.
  • Options

Although I do not agree with the Eurosceptics who want to take the UK out of the EU, there is one thing that I greatly admire them for.

Over the last 25 years or so they have argued their case with dogged determination. They have changed public opinion. Politics in this country would be a lot better off if more politicians tried to change public opinion, rather than simply to pretend that they agree with it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067
    Scott_P said:

Thick even by your extremely low standards
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    @JosiasJessop

"Did you reward Labour by voting for them in 2010, after 13 years of massive house price inflation? Surely that was equally wrong?"

Yes, this is what I was referring to and left the UK with a difficult problem. If house prices had come down since 2010 or were forced down then thousands would have been left in negativity equity.

However, salaries have not risen to compensate for that false price boom, due the need to rectify the deficit and also to compete in the global market. Global shortages of food and energy have further squeezed available income. So rents have risen and the ability to save money whilst renting has decreased - taking with it hope.

Will we have to return to rent control (which can lead to Rachmanism) or a severe tax on second homes or on BTL property.?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

You would have to know that it must be bollocks but is aimed at dullards like Scottp.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

They have one of the most awful websites that it's been my misfortune to come across. Organising bridal wear exhibitions seems to be one of their other specialities.

I remember during my paper round years that there was only one copy of the P+J on my round (wasn't in the NE) and only one house (out of 50) that never tipped.

Some stereotypes are unearned, others....

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Reminds me of a tale told by the late Simon Hoggart in one of his books.

MP canvassing a street knocks on the door of the Smith household. A voice calls "Come in..."
    He walks in to hear "We're in the bedroom."
    Entering, he encounters a naked couple in bed.
    "Hmmm... I'm sorry to bother you, I'm just canvassing for the Tory party..."
    "I'm Labour."
    "Oh, thank-you." Turning to the bloke. "Can I ask how Mr. Smith votes?"

Woman: "Oh this is Mr. Jones from Number 22, and he votes Labour too!"
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sky: DLT to face retrial...
  • Options
    The Guardian has a rather mean comparison

"http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/23/scottish-referendum-salmond-independence-oil?CMP=twt_gu"

"Scottish referendum: Salmond offers the independence of a granny flat
    It would be a strange sort of freedom in which all the decisions that matter are made in London"
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It sounds more like the Dandy or Beano
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

I remember during my paper round years that there was only one copy of the P+J on my round (wasn't in the NE) and only one house (out of 50) that never tipped.

Some stereotypes are unearned, others....
    Well, I grew up in Aberdeen (and did a paper round) and even I'd find it hard to argue with that..
    The NE country folk are different though.

• Options
    Mr. G, nothing wrong with Desperate Dan or Corky the Cat.
  • Options
    I see Cameron and his cowardy custards are in hiding , in a secret location, scared to come out and debate independence. Will be nice to see them scuttling for their limos and private/RAF jets tonight as they run back to London. Cameron sent his wee boy Alexander out to challenge Salmond as he is too feart to do it himself.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Although I do not agree with the Eurosceptics who want to take the UK out of the EU, there is one thing that I greatly admire them for.

Over the last 25 years or so they have argued their case with dogged determination. They have changed public opinion. Politics in this country would be a lot better off if more politicians tried to change public opinion, rather than simply to pretend that they agree with it.
    Quite agree - I am in the middle of re-watching the West Wing, and last night was an episode
    where they did some polling and discovered that the proposed policy wasn't very popular - cue discussions about ditching the policy, or arguing for it as people clearly didn't know enough about it and how it would affect them.

It seems that there is a significant difference between those who are willing and able to lead puplic opinion, and those who follow it. I'm not sure why or what to do about it however.
  • Options
    Mr. G, entirely daft to expect a non-Scot to debate Scottish independence. It's a vote by Scots, for Scots.
  • Options

Fair enough.

As a possibly-not-very-interesting aside, the value of my house seems to have increased by rather a large amount in the last few months, something I put down to the opening of a brand new secondary school (or village college in Cambridgeshire terms) a short amble away.
    I don't doubt it Josias - that's a real life example of building communities. We need more positive examples like this instead of the usual building = bad we get from the usual sources.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Bless you, David. Surely it's Excel's arithmetic?

I find it very difficult to use Excel even when I am awake.

But to return to my point since no one has pointed out any howling errors. In 2010 Labour got 8,606,000 votes. So an increase of 1, 853,730 would be an increase of 21% and not an additional seat. There were 27, 148K votes cast in 2010 so this would be the equivalent of a 7% shift in voting intentions and not an additional seat.

I really do not think it is unfair to say that the assumption that Labour will win a majority is almost entirely dependent on their votes being as efficient as they were in 2010 or 2001 rather than 2005. That assumption is therefore the most important single factor in determining the likely outcome of the election. And I am not sure about, even recognising that their vote should become more efficient as their vote share increases.

• Options

MD, Agree , but asking how they would vote in the referendum is a bit stupid.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited February 2014
    Clearly Scottish Unionists like myself will raise a satisfied eyebrow at the P&J poll but great caution does need to be applied.

The sample size of 500 is subject to a much higher MoE than almost all polls we see in UK polls. The pollster also has very little record to speak of and clearly the 65/17 spread is an outlier to other polls.

That said, were I enjoying a full Scottish breakfast at Auchentennach Castle this morning I'd rather read I had a lead of 48 points than not, if for nothing else than the morale of the troops.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I see Cameron and his cowardy custards are in hiding , in a secret location, scared to come out and debate independence. Will be nice to see them scuttling for their limos and private/RAF jets tonight as they run back to London. Cameron sent his wee boy Alexander out to challenge Salmond as he is too feart to do it himself.

With the latest polling in NE Scotland showing 65% NO vs 17% YES, I'd suggest that Cameron and his Cabinet are playing at home while Salmond's crew are entering enemy territory.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Clearly Scottish Unionists like myself will raise a satisfied eyebrow at the P&J poll but great caution does need to be applied.

The sample size of 500 is subject to a much higher MoE than almost all polls we see in UK polls. The pollster also has very little record to speak of and clearly the 65/17 spread is an outlier to other polls.

That said, were I enjoying a full Scottish breakfast at Auchentennach Castle this morning I'd rather read I had a lead of 48 points than not, if for nothing else than the morale of the troops.

I thought you were a Jacobite, and that Jacobites didn't even recognise the union, considering it an illegitimate Hannoverian manouver...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

As an aside, whilst digging through the loft the other day I found a 1979 Desperate Dan annual. "My six-year-old lad would like that", I thought. This was indeed the case.

I was flicking through it later that evening, in a haze of nostalgia, when I noticed several things which made me a little uneasy:

1) The main story was called "The Chinkee China Boys", and was filled with "Velly solly, Mr Dan" type of speech.
    2) Another story about a "red indian" who was dyed white and his quest to be turned dark again. (again, full of stereotyped speech).
    3) Some scenes in the Indian Subcontinent with numerous references to "the big white man" (who soon taught those foreign johnnies a thing or two).
    4) Dan tamed a tough wild bear by basically beating it into submission.
    5) Another story set in Mexico which made Speedy Gonzales look like a reasonable portrayal of a Mexican.
    6) Various depiction of Africa as full of people with spears and large lips.

So, do I talk to my son about this, or is that a hand-wringing overreaction? Amazing how much things have changed in just 30 years.
  • Options
    BenM said:

You can tell Labour are in a strong-ish poition given the Daily Mail's laughably desperate paedophile smear campaign.

If I was to predict anything - Lab to maybe fall over the line panting and gasping, with a small majority, and with little if no help from seat gains anwhere in the south and south east.

The most divisive election since the war.

It's not a smear if it's true. Or are you denying that Harman's group gave affiliate status to a paedophlia group?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Financier said:

There are affordable homes outside London. Are they not prepared to commute from Bumpkinland?
  • Options
    Little before my time, Mr. Anorak. I did read some Noddy books with Gollywogs in them, but never made the connection to black people until years and years later, when I was old enough to see it as rather silly. It might be that most of that will just fly over your son's head.

And on 'beating a bear into submission': he'll see and read much worse than that. Just ensure he doesn't try it himself.
  • Options

Fair enough.

I don't doubt it Josias - that's a real life example of building communities. We need more positive examples like this instead of the usual building = bad we get from the usual sources.
    Given my family's history, I would rather be pro-building. ;-)

As I've said passim, there's a great deal of positives to learn about the village I live in, and much that can be taken forward and improved in the next new villages. As an example on a topical note, trials of Sustainable Urban Development Systems (SuDS) were made here to reduce the risk of flooding. If people want more info, I can post some links.

Sadly, it looks like the council is letting developers forget these lessons in the other new towns being built in the area. This means they might well be *worse* than Cambourne. Which may well be good for my house price, but bad for the people who have to live in those houses.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited February 2014

I see what you are saying here, but I think you are wrong.

Your argument is relevant in general, but to the specific scenario of the 2015 GE it does not apply as much as you might think for a variety of reasons.

1. The polls and by-elections point to a swing from Conservatives to Labour. Although I've previously argued that a Con majority is possible I still think it is very unlikely because I expect there to be a swing in national vote share against them.

2. More Lib Dem held seats have Tories second and Labour behind. This means that in the most likely scenario of a swing from Con to Lab loss of Lib Dem seats will make less difference to the chance of a Labour majority than would be the case in general terms, because how the remaining seats are divided between Con and Lib Dem has no effect on whether Labour can form a majority on their own.

3. If one accepts points 1 and 2, then the main question in terms of a Hung Parliament is: Can Labour gain 67 seats to add to their 258 seat total. They picked up one in Corby, but also managed to lose Bradford West.

I think 67 seats is a stretch for Labour. If one puts 35:34:12:12 (L:C:Ld:U) into Electoral Calculus then Labour come out 1 seat short of a majority, even with 16 gains from Labour the Lib Dems, the Bradford West by-election loss reversed and Brighton Pavilion taken from the Greens.

Close elections are quite common in the UK. Since WWII there have been 18 general elections. Two have resulted in Hung Parliaments (Feb 1974, 2010), and in five more the majority has been 21 seats or less (1950, 1951, 1964, Oct 1974, 1992). Although the Lib Dems will lose seats in 2015, they are unlikely to have more seats then in all five of those general elections, which would have created four more Hung Parliaments (with 1992 possibly still a small Conservative majority).

So, given the number of Lib Dem MPs that we expect in 2015, one-third of previous general elections would have resulted in a Hung Parliament. If there is one thing we can all probably agree on it is that Miliband is not going to win a Blair/Thatcher/Attlee landslide victory - landslide victories resulting in a majority of 100 or greater account for one-third of general elections since WWII.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Financier said:

There are affordable homes outside London. Are they not prepared to commute from Bumpkinland?
    That's not a solution for two reasons. Firstly train fares are so high for season tickets that a substantial amount of the saving in house prices is rapidly eaten up. Secondly there is a societal harm to pricing entire cities or large sections of them to so many people. Societies which segment themselves such that wealthy and poor groups don't interact tend to have issues of cohesion.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

isam said:

It's very strange and shocking that progress is even being reversed in this area.
    There is a very important reason why India makes homosexuality illegal. One expert witness in the trial gave evidence that if homosexuality was legalised, Indian soldiers would spend so much time having sex with each other, that they'd leave the country defenceless against Pakistani attack,

• Options

In the case of second homes, it's about aspiration. I'd love a home by the sea (preferably well protected from the sea!), or one in Darley Bridge or Wensley. Somewhere I could remote work from, or go and write and walk. It'd be great. But we could probably only spend a few months a year there, which would mean that locals could not buy the house, and local services (e.g. shops) would suffer.

Brick and mortar holiday homes are a social curse, but something many of us want. It's hard for a politician to tell us that something we really want is bad for everyone else, especially when the media types love having second, third or fourth homes themselves.

And it's the same with the curse of buy-to-let, which also needs tackling.

Sadly, the politicians concentrate only on the top end (e.g. the mansion tax), rather than at the real problems.
  • Options

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

I was once greeted by a very attractive woman in her underwear, while canvassing.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

There is a very important reason why India makes homosexuality illegal. One expert witness in the trial gave evidence that if homosexuality was legalised, Indian soldiers would spend so much time having sex with each other, that they'd leave the country defenceless against Pakistani attack,

"Expert witness". Hmm.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

JackW said:

I thought you were a Jacobite, and that Jacobites didn't even recognise the union, considering it an illegitimate Hannoverian manouver...
    I favour the Jacobite reform position, noted here from Wiki :

In his book The Highland Clans, Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk claimed that Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom "is the lawful Jacobite sovereign of this realm". Moncreiffe made the following argument:

"... by the fourteenth century it had become common law (in both England and Scotland) that a person who was not born in the liegeance of the Sovereign, nor naturalised, could not have the capacity to succeed as an heir .... In Scotland, this law was modified in favour of the French from the sixteenth century, but was otherwise rigorously applied until the Whig Revolution of 1688, after which it was gradually done away with by the mid-nineteenth century. It was precisely because of this law that Queen Anne found it necessary to pass a special Act of Parliament naturalising all alien-born potential royal heirs under her Act of Settlement of the throne. But, of course, from the Jacobite point of view, no new statute could be passed after 1688 .... The nearest lawful heir of the Cardinal York in 1807 was, in fact, curiously enough, King George III himself, who had been born in England (and therefore in the technical liegance of James VIII).

Under Moncreiffe's theory, however, James VI of Scotland could never have succeeded as James I of England in 1603. This problem, recognized in 1603, had been circumvented at the time of James's accession by the ahistorical assertion that Scotland and England had been "anciently but one" kingdom, and that the succession of the Scottish monarch to the throne of England was a "reuniting" of two parts of a single kingdom, i.e., that Scotland was not really a foreign country – a concept emphasized by James's insistence on the use of the name Great Britain for the united realms of England and Scotland."

Other Jacobites are clearly splitters ....

• Options
    Sean_F said:

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

I was once greeted by a very attractive woman in her underwear, while canvassing.
    I feel robbed of the full story !!

• Options
    Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

"Expert witness". Hmm.
    Just look at what's happened to our armed forces since 1969...

• Options
    What on earth is happening in Egypt?

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking · 6 mins
    Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi unexpectedly announces his government's resignation in a TV address http://bbc.in/1fMPd0I

• Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, we need to know whether Sean was able to count on her support.
  • Options

What on earth is happening in Egypt?

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking · 6 mins
    Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi unexpectedly announces his government's resignation in a TV address http://bbc.in/1fMPd0I

I blame the gays .... Is Graham Norton on holiday there ?

• Options
    edited February 2014

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

"Expert witness". Hmm.
    Just look at what's happened to our armed forces since 1969...

Had to be done... (apols for the dreadful sound quality)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIFUm70n0fU
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

No offence - but was she expecting someone else?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Sean_F said:

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

No offence - but was she expecting someone else?
    Nick Palmer ?!?

• Options

In the case of second homes, it's about aspiration. I'd love a home by the sea (preferably well protected from the sea!), or one in Darley Bridge or Wensley. Somewhere I could remote work from, or go and write and walk. It'd be great. But we could probably only spend a few months a year there, which would mean that locals could not buy the house, and local services (e.g. shops) would suffer.

Brick and mortar holiday homes are a social curse, but something many of us want. It's hard for a politician to tell us that something we really want is bad for everyone else, especially when the media types love having second, third or fourth homes themselves.

And it's the same with the curse of buy-to-let, which also needs tackling.

Sadly, the politicians concentrate only on the top end (e.g. the mansion tax), rather than at the real problems.
    In both of these cases - a Land Value Tax would be a significant assistance - you can have a Second home, but you need to pay large amounts of tax on it in payment for depriving others of the opportunity.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

No real story. She said she'd vote for me.

In response to Lennon, I think it's very probable she expected someone else.

• Options

I see what you are saying here, but I think you are wrong.

Your argument is relevant in general, but to the specific scenario of the 2015 GE it does not apply as much as you might think for a variety of reasons.

1. The polls and by-elections point to a swing from Conservatives to Labour. Although I've previously argued that a Con majority is possible I still think it is very unlikely because I expect there to be a swing in national vote share against them.

2. More Lib Dem held seats have Tories second and Labour behind. This means that in the most likely scenario of a swing from Con to Lab loss of Lib Dem seats will make less difference to the chance of a Labour majority than would be the case in general terms, because how the remaining seats are divided between Con and Lib Dem has no effect on whether Labour can form a majority on their own.

3. If one accepts points 1 and 2, then the main question in terms of a Hung Parliament is: Can Labour gain 67 seats to add to their 258 seat total. They picked up one in Corby, but also managed to lose Bradford West.

I think 67 seats is a stretch for Labour. If one puts 35:34:12:12 (L:C:Ld:U) into Electoral Calculus then Labour come out 1 seat short of a majority, even with 16 gains from Labour the Lib Dems, the Bradford West by-election loss reversed and Brighton Pavilion taken from the Greens.

Close elections are quite common in the UK. Since WWII there have been 18 general elections. Two have resulted in Hung Parliaments (Feb 1974, 2010), and in five more the majority has been 21 seats or less (1950, 1951, 1964, Oct 1974, 1992). Although the Lib Dems will lose seats in 2015, they are unlikely to have more seats then in all five of those general elections, which would have created four more Hung Parliaments (with 1992 possibly still a small Conservative majority).

So, given the number of Lib Dem MPs that we expect in 2015, one-third of previous general elections would have resulted in a Hung Parliament. If there is one thing we can all probably agree on it is that Miliband is not going to win a Blair/Thatcher/Attlee landslide victory - landslide victories resulting in a majority of 100 or greater account for one-third of general elections since WWII.

Not only that, look through the seats Labour have to gain:
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.pl?CON=34&TVCON=&LAB=35&TVLAB=&LIB=12&TVLIB=&UKIP=12&region=All+GB+changed+seats&boundary=2010&seat=--Show+all--&minorparties=Y

...and see how many of those will have first-time incumbency. Absolutely loads of them. (Most of them?) Add to that DavidL's point that Labour's vote efficiency advantage over Con will probably drop, and getting from here to a majority looks like a seriously big heave.

I think the markets know what they're doing, apart from the people betting on Con Maj, who are nuts.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

philiph said:

Not entirely convinced.

No real story. She said she'd vote for me.

I hope you didn't offer her you usual large inducement ??

Oh er Missus ....

• Options
    Mr. F, you must have persuaded her life was better under a Conservative.
This discussion has been closed.