Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What a waste of money – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:

Roger said:

I'm guessing that the Leave/Remain category that Yougov uses above refers to way people voted in 2016- Or does it? If it was updated to now with a 35/65 Remain bias it would at least show that the country was becoming more enlightened

Polls are quite often unclear about the meaning of categories; especially 'Remain/Leave' (2016 or now) and party support (last election vote or now).
    Looking at the underlying tables for other yougov polls remain/leave is based on the 2016 vote.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Dozens of XL bullies are being relocated north of the border before the breed is banned in England as part of a TikTok-fuelled operation called Project Scotland.

A dog-care centre in Glasgow is coordinating a campaign to move unwanted XL bullies, which will be illegal to own in England without a licence from February 1.

Large vans with cages are driving to a different English city every weekend, removing the dogs — whose breed is responsible for six of the last 15 fatalities from dog attacks — from owners who often cannot afford new licensing requirements.

The SNP government last month formally rejected a request from Michael Gove, the levelling-up secretary, to introduce the ban “in light of the threat to public safety”, and to avoid the risk of “creating a potential dumping ground for dangerous dogs” in Scotland.

Instead, Scotland’s minister for community safety and two SNP MSPs have agreed to visit the dog centre rehoming the XL bullies, many of which are understood to have serious behavioural issues.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/xl-bully-exodus-from-england-in-lead-up-to-ban-v7vb7fvf8

Honestly, this is a picture in the article, if I saw this running at me, I would be poohing bricks.

Owning the Brits by allowing dangerous, killer, dogs to be relocated to Scotland. Classy.
    Good morning everyone! Well, in fact, it is raining here.

How is this dog migration policy supposed to work? Do we have owners in, say Birmingham, who own a dog in Glasgow? And presumably have to travel to Glasgow to take the animal for a walk?
    Are these dogs being sold to Scots?
    Sounds like some dog charity's small and crackbrained private scheme tarted up by a Unionist newspaper. Presumablky they're getting the dogs there as an emergency and worrying about the asylum claims later.
    Nah the SNP minister has realised their error in not accepting Gove's offer.

Siobhian Brown, the community safety minister.. has now written to Westminster to urge that “people in England and Wales do not use any loopholes created by the UK government in getting rid of their dogs”.

Doug Smith, a spokesman for Bully Watch, said the Scottish administration could not have it both ways.

“They seem to have chosen the worst possible option of doing nothing,” he said. “Either you say you are going to follow Westminster and do the ban, or you say you are not going to follow Westminster and close some loophole so you don’t have the negative consequences of the ban.

“There is literally no way to stop these dogs being moved unless you start doing border checks. I can’t understand why the Scottish government bothered to ask because there’s nothing Westminster can do.”
    The Scottish government is trying to sort out something more rational than the DDA Mark 2 adopted with very little notice south of the border, and can hardly be blamed for the chaos south of the border. Of course Unionists love to shit on the neighbour's garden and blame everyone else very loudly and performatively (see Numantia, siege of, see also P. Cornelius Scipio Africanus Aemilianus).

Nevertheless: there is clearly an issue. How big it really is remains to be seen.
    It will become a massive issue when one of these dogs uses a child as a chew toy.
    Quite. What I'm not clear about is whther this really is happening or just some might and maybe from someone phoned up for a story. The story is evidently lifted from the Herald of some time back.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23952404.scotland-facing-influx-xl-bully-dogs-ban-england/
    This is a case of being different for the sake of it falling into self harm. We really need to get rid of these dogs, both our own domesticated ones and any coming from anywhere else.
    If Scotland had banned them, and England and Wales had not, one suspects the argument would be about the total irresponsibility of Westminster putting Scotland at risk.
    Scottish XL Bullies are different though. More intelligent, not violent, generally more egalitarian and welcoming to foreigners. The only people they might (justifiably) savage are English people.
    What wags we have on PB with their Scotch banter
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,748
    edited December 2023
    malcolmg said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Dozens of XL bullies are being relocated north of the border before the breed is banned in England as part of a TikTok-fuelled operation called Project Scotland.

A dog-care centre in Glasgow is coordinating a campaign to move unwanted XL bullies, which will be illegal to own in England without a licence from February 1.

Large vans with cages are driving to a different English city every weekend, removing the dogs — whose breed is responsible for six of the last 15 fatalities from dog attacks — from owners who often cannot afford new licensing requirements.

The SNP government last month formally rejected a request from Michael Gove, the levelling-up secretary, to introduce the ban “in light of the threat to public safety”, and to avoid the risk of “creating a potential dumping ground for dangerous dogs” in Scotland.

Instead, Scotland’s minister for community safety and two SNP MSPs have agreed to visit the dog centre rehoming the XL bullies, many of which are understood to have serious behavioural issues.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/xl-bully-exodus-from-england-in-lead-up-to-ban-v7vb7fvf8

Honestly, this is a picture in the article, if I saw this running at me, I would be poohing bricks.

Owning the Brits by allowing dangerous, killer, dogs to be relocated to Scotland. Classy.

How is this dog migration policy supposed to work? Do we have owners in, say Birmingham, who own a dog in Glasgow? And presumably have to travel to Glasgow to take the animal for a walk?
    Sounds like some dog charity's small and crackbrained private scheme tarted up by a Unionist newspaper. Presumablky they're getting the dogs there as an emergency and worrying about the asylum claims later.

Siobhian Brown, the community safety minister.. has now written to Westminster to urge that “people in England and Wales do not use any loopholes created by the UK government in getting rid of their dogs”.

Doug Smith, a spokesman for Bully Watch, said the Scottish administration could not have it both ways.

“They seem to have chosen the worst possible option of doing nothing,” he said. “Either you say you are going to follow Westminster and do the ban, or you say you are not going to follow Westminster and close some loophole so you don’t have the negative consequences of the ban.

“There is literally no way to stop these dogs being moved unless you start doing border checks. I can’t understand why the Scottish government bothered to ask because there’s nothing Westminster can do.”
    The Scottish government is trying to sort out something more rational than the DDA Mark 2 adopted with very little notice south of the border, and can hardly be blamed for the chaos south of the border. Of course Unionists love to shit on the neighbour's garden and blame everyone else very loudly and performatively (see Numantia, siege of, see also P. Cornelius Scipio Africanus Aemilianus).

Nevertheless: there is clearly an issue. How big it really is remains to be seen.
    It will become a massive issue when one of these dogs uses a child as a chew toy.
    Quite. What I'm not clear about is whther this really is happening or just some might and maybe from someone phoned up for a story. The story is evidently lifted from the Herald of some time back.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23952404.scotland-facing-influx-xl-bully-dogs-ban-england/
    This is a case of being different for the sake of it falling into self harm. We really need to get rid of these dogs, both our own domesticated ones and any coming from anywhere else.
    If Scotland had banned them, and England and Wales had not, one suspects the argument would be about the total irresponsibility of Westminster putting Scotland at risk.
    Scottish XL Bullies are different though. More intelligent, not violent, generally more egalitarian and welcoming to foreigners. The only people they might (justifiably) savage are English people.
    2/10

Create some quality invective. You can do it - we have faith in you.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Is that a reference to XL bullies or a euphemism for the Yousaf government?
    These dogs are way smarter than the Yousaf government.

This week alone they have lost an appeal against their own information minister which is going to oblige them to disclose material which might well suggest a conspiracy which they have tried very, very hard to ignore and, of course, a judicial review which sought to put one of their main obsessions (policy doesn't seem quite the right word) back on track.

Oh, and those pesky PISA people showed once again how disastrous their education reforms have been. Which was ridiculous because look at the pass rate!!
    As opposed to those towering Tories splurging 290 million on sending Home Secretary's to Rwanda for holidays as they paln to rewrite International Law. Glass houses David, they are amateurs compared to the chinless wonders in Westminster, thought the chinless ones are good at filling their bankbooks.
    Good to see that some in the legal system in Scotland are coming to their senses though and not just being lapdogs of the Executive.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

The whole Rwanda saga sums up the current Tory Party. Interested in performative nonsense. Disinterested in making tough decisions and governing effectively.

The funniest part of the whole business will be when Rwanda walks away. Why wouldn’t they?

Not sure the Numantia comparison is quite the right way round. Arguably, the whole thing - including the conquest of Hispania - was primarily performative politics on the part of certain elements of the Roman elite, with a side bonus of lots of loot, public contracts, and downright corruption for themselves and their chums.
    Or as one of her secret sources told Nad:-

The absolute narcissistic egotists who make up the Conservative parliamentary party. Your own MPs, I’m sorry, but they are the most self-serving unpleasant bunch of individuals I have known to serve in a government in my lifetime. They are such an appalling lot.
    Dorries, Nadine. The Plot: The Political Assassination of Boris Johnson
    The only remarkable thing about this is that it would appear that you have voluntarily chosen to read Mad Nad's book.
    My mother, a lifelong Tory Party member who voted for Truss, has asked for a copy for Christmas. I think she will read it unironically.
    Who is Dr No? Master of the dark arts, pulling the strings and ousting Tory leaders for 20 years. Too powerful for Dorries to name.

He attends sex parties, has been in prison, has used class A drugs, circulated rumours about Liz Truss's sex life ...OMG, it's @Leon
    Cummings must be very annoyed that she's invented this character and not named him as the man...
    Cummings was Michael Gove's consigliere. They are among a number named as "the movement".

“She’s right, there was giant conspiracy including MI6, the CIA and, most crucially, the KGB special operations department,” he wrote on X. “It’s a tribute to Nadine she has figured this out.”
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-mocks-nadine-dorries-31354397

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,924

Roger said:
    I've watched only four of those but would have thought classing Trading Places as a Christmas film was more tenuous than Die Hard.
    I'll admit to watching more than a few but I agree their connection to Christmas seems to be the appearance of a tree somewhere in the film. Something I don't remember in Die Hard which was mainly known for it's quotable quotes.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

2/10

Create some quality invective. You can do it - we have faith in you.
    I do not plan to try and polish those turds
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,532

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

The whole Rwanda saga sums up the current Tory Party. Interested in performative nonsense. Disinterested in making tough decisions and governing effectively.

The funniest part of the whole business will be when Rwanda walks away. Why wouldn’t they?

Not sure the Numantia comparison is quite the right way round. Arguably, the whole thing - including the conquest of Hispania - was primarily performative politics on the part of certain elements of the Roman elite, with a side bonus of lots of loot, public contracts, and downright corruption for themselves and their chums.
    Or as one of her secret sources told Nad:-

The absolute narcissistic egotists who make up the Conservative parliamentary party. Your own MPs, I’m sorry, but they are the most self-serving unpleasant bunch of individuals I have known to serve in a government in my lifetime. They are such an appalling lot.
    The only remarkable thing about this is that it would appear that you have voluntarily chosen to read Mad Nad's book.
    My mother, a lifelong Tory Party member who voted for Truss, has asked for a copy for Christmas. I think she will read it unironically.
    Who is Dr No? Master of the dark arts, pulling the strings and ousting Tory leaders for 20 years. Too powerful for Dorries to name.

He attends sex parties, has been in prison, has used class A drugs, circulated rumours about Liz Truss's sex life ...OMG, it's @Leon
    Cummings must be very annoyed that she's invented this character and not named him as the man...
    Cummings was Michael Gove's consigliere. They are among a number named as "the movement".

“She’s right, there was giant conspiracy including MI6, the CIA and, most crucially, the KGB special operations department,” he wrote on X. “It’s a tribute to Nadine she has figured this out.”
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-mocks-nadine-dorries-31354397

If even Cummings can make sensible remarks about its stupidity, it must be the worst book in the history of literature.
  • Options
    Rwanda is an odd hill to politically die on, yet here we are. What we have been able to fully expose is the England Uber Alles mentality that some people have.

"Why can't we just drag the boats to France / send them to Rwanda anyway / just do what we like" etc. As if the other party in this isn't important. Rwanda is just that foreign place, what they want doesn't matter, just do as you are told.

So I have some sympathies with the Sunak strop at the press conference. But it was entertaining to watch as most of the credit for the slow down in boats is because of all the things his party is against - international cooperation. We did a deal with Albania. But won't do a deal with France because Starmer likes Ode to Joy which is the EU - TRAITOR! QUISLING! etc

£240m for nothing. We may as well have fired it into the sun.
  • Options

Rwanda is an odd hill to politically die on, yet here we are. What we have been able to fully expose is the England Uber Alles mentality that some people have.

"Why can't we just drag the boats to France / send them to Rwanda anyway / just do what we like" etc. As if the other party in this isn't important. Rwanda is just that foreign place, what they want doesn't matter, just do as you are told.

So I have some sympathies with the Sunak strop at the press conference. But it was entertaining to watch as most of the credit for the slow down in boats is because of all the things his party is against - international cooperation. We did a deal with Albania. But won't do a deal with France because Starmer likes Ode to Joy which is the EU - TRAITOR! QUISLING! etc

All of our governments are picking stupid hills to die on.

The SNP it's transgender rights.

In Wales it's speed limits.

In England it's Rwanda.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,386
    malcolmg said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Good Morning Malc, I hope all is well with you and your family up in your lovely part of Scotland.

The WAGS of PB may make an interesting reality TV show. Perhaps, on a par, with the Real Housewives of New Jersey. Perhaps OGH should look into it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Don't agree on the first point. Being different because HMG adopts a crap policy is not the same thing. I do think the HMG DDA Mk 2 policy is stupid, as any zoologist or biologist could tell them. However I agree on point 2!
    We can debate the merits of the DDA as long as you want but that not going to stop fatal attacks in the next few years or so.

It was an obvious response that these English idiots would try to shift them to somewhere else; Scotland is close, has not implemented a ban, and we have a significant number of our own idiots to contend with.

It's stupid politics and it's only going to get more stupid if a headline reads "My West Highland Terrier was eaten by English XL Bully".

We might even end up with our own Rwanda with XL Bullies roaming Fair Isle while the Court of Session decides on each case. DavidL quits the profession when he's asked to defend Fluffy, the two-time toddler torturer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    Once that dam developed a crack, it was always likely. The only thing stopping all this coming out earlier was that Ofsted could keep the investigation of complaints in-house and always conclude "robust but fair".

It's an inspectorate, sure, and it needs to be tougher than (say) the judges on Bake Off. But some of the things that have come out during the inquest are awful.

Either Ofsted is appointing thugs in suits or it's turning people into thugs. And neither of those is on.

Still, I'm sure it will be fine. We've got plenty of school staff and it doesn't matter if a few potential recruits are put off.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,071

dixiedean said:
    Once that dam developed a crack, it was always likely. The only thing stopping all this coming out earlier was that Ofsted could keep the investigation of complaints in-house and always conclude "robust but fair".

It's an inspectorate, sure, and it needs to be tougher than (say) the judges on Bake Off. But some of the things that have come out during the inquest are awful.

Either Ofsted is appointing thugs in suits or it's turning people into thugs. And neither of those is on.

Still, I'm sure it will be fine. We've got plenty of school staff and it doesn't matter if a few potential recruits are put off.
    It's not fine - 13 years ago an awful lot of teachers were deciding to not pursue promotions into the Senior Leadership levels and that's got worse rather than better.

There is only so long that a primary school can run without a head yet a lot of schools find there are zero applicants so end up strong arming some staff member into the job.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,707
    Just spent a terrifying day in hospital where at one stage it looked like I have a terminal cancer. Turns out I don’t, but wow

😶
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    ydoethur said:

In England it's Rwanda.
    Incidentally there was a conference on 20mph in Scotland yesterday. Highland Council are currently rolling it out (The Borders and Edinburgh already have them) and the Scottish Government will implement it nationwide by 2025.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:
    I've watched only four of those but would have thought classing Trading Places as a Christmas film was more tenuous than Die Hard.
    I'll admit to watching more than a few but I agree their connection to Christmas seems to be the appearance of a tree somewhere in the film. Something I don't remember in Die Hard which was mainly known for it's quotable quotes.
    You were probably too preoccupied with the fate of the imprisoned freedom fighters that Hans Gruber talks about to notice, so here you go...

• Options
    Leon said:

Just spent a terrifying day in hospital where at one stage it looked like I have a terminal cancer. Turns out I don’t, but wow

😶

Bet that’s a relief
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,655
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

It's not fine - 13 years ago an awful lot of teachers were deciding to not pursue promotions into the Senior Leadership levels and that's got worse rather than better.

There is only so long that a primary school can run without a head yet a lot of schools find there are zero applicants so end up strong arming some staff member into the job.
    This is more widely true. There are rational grounds for a bright person to avoid being the place where the buck absolutely stops. A head of a school can't magically create top science/maths teachers when the much bigger system has failed to produce them. In the modern world issues like safeguarding can come and bite you when no-one has intended any wrong. A litigious society causes stresses and dangers you cannot prevent even if you are wholly in the right.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

😶

Bet that’s a relief
    Yes.
  • Options
    This thread has

gone to Iowa

• Options
    Leon said:

😶

Dr Google is a horrible bastard. You start off with a sore toe, 10 minutes later you've got stage 4 bowel cancer. We've all been there.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

😶

Bet that’s a relief
    The advantage of expensive Thai private hospitals is that they do everything in a day, all your bloods and X-rays and ultrasounds: the works

I’d have waited months to get all this done on the NHS. Months of low level terror
  • Options
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

Absolutely.

The struggling primary school where I was briefly a governor is a perfect example of that.

It will never be an easy school to run, for all sorts of reasons. It probably needed the jump start of an academy relaunch, because it would never be high enough up the LEA's to do list. (From what I hear, it is in a better place now.)

At the time of the inspection I experienced, it was running with a temporary assistant head acting up two levels, another temporary AHT and a governing body made up of anyone they could find who could follow an agenda. And compared with where the school had been a year before, it was genuinely moving forward.

But we all got the full "you must be idiots and evil for things to be this bad." The judgement is one thing. The rudeness under a veneer of professional power still grates.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Leon said:

😶

Dr Google is a horrible bastard. You start off with a sore toe, 10 minutes later you've got stage 4 bowel cancer. We've all been there.
    Except this time they showed me the blood test results and explained why they were very worried and yes: they were right

(Doctor Google merely confirmed)

• Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

😶

Bet that’s a relief
    The advantage of expensive Thai private hospitals is that they do everything in a day, all your bloods and X-rays and ultrasounds: the works

I’d have waited months to get all this done on the NHS. Months of low level terror
    A friend of mine was looking at either a gastric band or stomach reduction surgery there. She plumped for Turkey in the end.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    ydoethur said:

In England it's Rwanda.
    Most of my work team are from scotland, on the team call yesterday one was swearing because he had heard scotland is also going to do the welsh speed limit thing though only heard it from him so might not be reliable
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Outside on the pavement, before I headed down Millbank towards Westminster, I took my phone out of the pocket of my trench coat and googled something Boris had just said: and bliss it was to be in that dawn alive … Surely, he was quoting someone or something. The answer came straight back: Wordsworth. Boris is the only person I have met in my life who has the ability to effortlessly insert a great poet into daily conversation, without missing a beat.

The Lost Leader.
    I was quoting Aneurin Bevan yesterday to some well educated, scientifically speaking, people and got some blank looks.
    If you were saying they were 'lower than vermin' I'm not altogether surprised about those blank looks...
    Just catching up, and no I wasn’t!

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,377
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

😶

Bet that’s a relief

I'm told that cosmetic surgery is cheap and done well there.

Of course, some of us wouldn't need it but since you are passing through.....
  • Options

Roger said:
    I would say it is on a par with Its a Wonderful Life on that score. Which is considered one of the all time classic Christmas films.
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

TimS said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Well.

Good Morning Malc, I hope all is well with you and your family up in your lovely part of Scotland.

The WAGS of PB may make an interesting reality TV show. Perhaps, on a par, with the Real Housewives of New Jersey. Perhaps OGH should look into it.
    Morning Taz, yes almost recovered from our covid , I had extra bonus of root canal this week but looking forward to xmas. Hope you and family all well.
    Politically Scotland is like Shameless or Benidorm just now. Hard to believe so many 3 legged no users could be assembled and running a country ( into the ground).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

In England it's Rwanda.
    Most of my work team are from scotland, on the team call yesterday one was swearing because he had heard scotland is also going to do the welsh speed limit thing though only heard it from him so might not be reliable
    It is crap so you can guarantee it will happen, though this lot will probably do it on motorways.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Leon said:

😶

I’d lay off the ayahuasca in future
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,657

This tweet is a good example of dysfunctional thinking in Brussels:

https://x.com/thierrybreton/status/1733254586561888306

Disclaimer: Sunil has nowt to do with this pie chart :lol:
    'Others' can't win here. Only the Lib Dems can beat the EU at calling ourselves a continent with AI regulation.
This discussion has been closed.