Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s not you babe, it’s me – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options

O/T Restaurant recommendation in central Paris (1st arr.) anyone?

Looking for solid traditional rather than avant garde.

I had a very nice meal here in Jan 2020, appreciate its a long time ago, though, prepandemic

https://www.robeetlepalais.fr/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,494

stodge said:

The theme music is good, and the daleks a good scary nemesis, but I don't think I've ever seen a Doctor Who that wasn't shit.

Is that part of the appeal?

Don't worry - there'll be a new one for you to complain about at Christmas followed not too long after by a Labour Government.
    I was thinking about that. Assuming Labour are in power by this time next year, it's going to be an interesting change of dynamic on PB.

All those years of PBers on the right, defending the Tories at first and gradually giving up on them in despair - they'll no doubt enjoy being on the attack from day one.

Will those us of on the left find a Labour government delivering things we want to defend? I hope so.
    Yes that struck me too and it will be interesting. We'll be swapping clothes as it were. I see myself becoming a kind of BigG figure as the decade of Labour government trundles on. Who do you aspire to be? HYUFD perhaps? Morris Dancer? Bart?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225

Comrade HY on fine form this evening, with two completely incorrect statements.

No, there was no war between India and Pakistan over the existince of Pakistan. There would have been a decades long Hindu and Muslim civil war without Pakistan.

OK, Attlee's government was a fraction into its 6th year when removed but then so was Wilson's as I said, so no Labour government other than Blair's has lasted more than 6 years
  • Options

Mere terminological inexactitudes; he's never wrong.
    "Let me put it this way, Mr. Pointer. The HYUFD series is the most reliable computer ever made. No HYUFD computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, there was no war between India and Pakistan over the existince of Pakistan. There would have been a decades long Hindu and Muslim civil war without Pakistan.
    You were completely wrong in stating "There was no war between Pakistan and India after partition in India in 1947 either"

1947-9
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The 2023 Booker Prize has been awarded to Prophet Song, a dystopian vision of Ireland in the grips of totalitarianism. It was written by Ireland's Paul Lynch, 46, marking the first time he has won the prestigious fiction writing prize.

Set in Dublin, it tells the story of a family grappling with a terrifying new world in which the democratic norms they are used to begin to disappear."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67537449

Hurrah. Not American.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552
    kinabalu said:

stodge said:

The theme music is good, and the daleks a good scary nemesis, but I don't think I've ever seen a Doctor Who that wasn't shit.

Don't worry - there'll be a new one for you to complain about at Christmas followed not too long after by a Labour Government.
    I was thinking about that. Assuming Labour are in power by this time next year, it's going to be an interesting change of dynamic on PB.

All those years of PBers on the right, defending the Tories at first and gradually giving up on them in despair - they'll no doubt enjoy being on the attack from day one.

Will those us of on the left find a Labour government delivering things we want to defend? I hope so.
    Yes that struck me too and it will be interesting. We'll be swapping clothes as it were. I see myself becoming a kind of BigG figure as the decade of Labour government trundles on. Who do you aspire to be? HYUFD perhaps? Morris Dancer? Bart?
    One watershed has already passed. From the birth of pb back in 2004 up until the Hartlepool by election, the direction of travel has been Labour ebb, Tory flood- albeit from a low base. That reversed a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

"Let me put it this way, Mr. Pointer. The HYUFD series is the most reliable computer ever made. No HYUFD computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error!"
    Accept HY is right?

I'm sorry Sunil, I can't do that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    kinabalu said:

stodge said:

God no, none of those. I aspire to be the lefty TSE obvs.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,797

Accept HY is right?

I'm sorry Sunil, I can't do that.
    I’m afraid we are having a bit of a problem with the antenna unit - be a good chap and pop out to replace it? @HYUFD will hold the door for you.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,288
    A nice case of ASBO Britain in the DM.

A 97-year-old woman is being persecuted for putting food on a modest bird table in her own back garden:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12793549/Bully-council-threatens-fine-97-year-old-pensioner-feeding-birds-garden-neighbour-complains.html
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989

Foxy said:

stodge said:

I was a lurker at the end of the Brown years. It was tough to defend, but I wasn't a fan, indeed the only time I have voted Conservative in a GE was 2010.

I have a really old fashioned puritanical loathing of debt.

I was raised by a mother who views debt as the eighth deadliest sin, it does have an impact.
    Although... hard to buy a house without a mortgage or rich parents.
    My mother doesn't view a mortgage as debt.
    Yep, I don't view cheese as full of calories but sadly it still is.
    Well the only acceptable debt.

That said I have persuaded her on the merits of PCH and the merits of buying everything on a credit card (then paying the full balance off each month).
    In a similar vein I have classified cheese as an acceptable form of calories and saturated fats.
    It's basically made up of the same atoms as lettuce and thus counts as a salad.

That's what I tell myself.
  • Options

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    3h
    ·
    The next election will be about immigration. It’s hard to see how the Tories stagger on for another year with absolutely no defence of their disastrous record. The longer they put it off, the more people will have poured in.

===

Narrator: No, it will be about what americans call the 'pocket book'. Allowing the sirens of the right to distract Starmer/Reeves would be a mistake.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943
    edited November 2023
    kinabalu said:

stodge said:

It depends on the first 2 or 3 years.

There are two timelines. One where Labour manages to make progress on things the conservatives failed at. This is the made the trains run on time / ended the post-Soviet chaos / broke the unions / got the waiting lists down honeymoon. If they do this, then the concerted criticism won’t happen until a few years or even a term in.

The other timeline where nothing much improves and Labour quickly gets into either compromising scandals or internal fights. Then the criticism will come very swiftly and will be two sided, from the centre left (Lib Dems and SNP) and a slowly recovering Tories.

We won’t be able to criticise Labour as tired until at least 7-8 years in, so in the meantime it’ll need to be about naïveté or extremism or unfairness. “Tired” is the most powerful case for change but a government gets a few years before that moniker comes along.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Heated Brexit discussion on I'm a celeb tonight between Nigel Farage and Fred Sirieix
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943

A 97-year-old woman is being persecuted for putting food on a modest bird table in her own back garden:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12793549/Bully-council-threatens-fine-97-year-old-pensioner-feeding-birds-garden-neighbour-complains.html

There’s always more to a story like this than the papers make out. My guess is she was feeding large quantities to vast flocks of pigeons and other large birds that were shitting all over the neighbours’ houses and cars. And probably refused to do anything about it or dial down the feeding despite multiple attempts at persuasion.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,143
    TimS said:

There’s always more to a story like this than the papers make out. My guess is she was feeding large quantities to vast flocks of pigeons and other large birds that were shitting all over the neighbours’ houses and cars. And probably refused to do anything about it or dial down the feeding despite multiple attempts at persuasion.
    That's a lot of guesswork on your part.
  • Options
    Interesting documentary on London Live about LBJ narrated by Morgan Freeman
  • Options
    TimS said:

That was my first thought too, but if you look at the photos and see the comments from the other neighbours about the complainant, I don't think that's the case.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,136
    Accident or whatever, but the Chelyabinsk 🇷🇺 plant producing, among other things, tank engines doesn’t seem to be in the best shape tonight.
    https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status/1728853878068871310
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Assuming a Labour win, on the Friday after the election we can whine about a Labour Government overseeing rampant immigration and a chaotic economy. Typical of Labour!
    I joined the Tories in 1998 and got 12 years of opposition for my troubles.

However in some respects Opposition is more fun than government, even if you can't achieve anything, as you can just trash the government's record as Labour are doing now and have been doing since they lost in 2010
    So you are on the same page as Jeremy Corbyn with regards to opposition at least.

I always hated opposition. So much stuff going on that I knew wouldn't go on if the Conservatives weren't in power. I didn't mind the coalition, when the LDs were sort of seen to be curbing their natural excesses. The current iteration of the Conservatives, certainly since 2016, have promoted policy and demonstrated a moral turpitude contrary to anything I have ever held dear. Sunak continues that with his Rwanda stunt, and I quite liked Rishi when he became PM.

I can't say I am that enthusiastic about Labour, I left over ten years ago and I had been a member since before the 1983 election. New Labour were in many respects a disappointment, although head and shoulders better than what we have seen since 2010. It's like Pete Townshend sings: "Meet the new boss
    Same as the old boss... We don't get fooled again". Or perhaps we do.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I'm surprised the Mail published her address.
  • Options

Isabel Oakeshott
    @IsabelOakeshott
    ·
    3h
    ·
    The next election will be about immigration. It’s hard to see how the Tories stagger on for another year with absolutely no defence of their disastrous record. The longer they put it off, the more people will have poured in.

===

Narrator: No, it will be about what americans call the 'pocket book'. Allowing the sirens of the right to distract Starmer/Reeves would be a mistake.

I find Isabel Oakeshott easy on the eye, it's a shame that beneath the sugar coated exterior a disgusting bigot is evident spitting noxious bile.

The next election will only be about immigration if hate filled hacks like Isabel Oakeshott promote such a narrative. I suspect most voters are more concerned with the cost of living crisis, the NHS, housing or driving at more than 20mph.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400

MJW said:

On Topic: If you're in the spare bedroom (or worse - I'd suggest 20+ points behind in the polls, high don't knows or otherwise, is more like she/he's gone back to their parents), then you have to do something pretty spectacular/crawling on your knees to sort things out.

But the Tories can't or won't do that. There's not going to be the investment and promised improvement in living standards in the fabled 'red wall' (or anywhere for that matter) - even if the government have a relatively 'good' year. Immigration won't be down significantly - even there's a reduction in small boats the government can claim as a success. Nor will public services show measurable improvements (they're likely to get worse in the short-term).

On the other side of things, there's going to be no Brexit mea culpa and reversal of course to get liberals back on side for obvious reasons. It would split the party and in effect mean admitting you'd made one of the single greatest mistakes in modern history.

Plus, any good work on housebuilding and infrastructure that might make the working age less full of contempt, won't take effect for a while even if it were to happen.

So you're left with tax cuts no one is going to really feel makes them better off - which undermine your biggest remaining pitch of fiscal caution. And saying the other guy/girl she/he's dating is a wrong'un. After 13 years of failure, I'm not sure it will work. Especially given Starmer and Reeves are probably the political equivalent of the nice but slightly dull but worthy partners that suddenly become far more attractive after a disastrous relationship with someone abusive or untrustworthy.

The problem for the government is that the electorate is in no mood to have an "it's not you, it's us" conversation.

The electorate are more in a "it is you, you bastard" mood.

But we were warned. Who else but Boris would make an election video out of the Juliet and Creepy Mark scene in Love, Actually?
    Well exactly. But my point is that in theory in politics as in love, you've got two ways of getting another chance. Do something marvellous that makes one forget about the bad times, or a proper mea culpa, apology, and to show you've changed.

Neither are open to the Tories as they don't have the time and economic space to deliver the former for those that gave them a chance in 2019. While the latter - which unpopular but not entirely spent governments have done in the past - just isn't an option as they can't change leader again, and there's no way to apologise for what the party's turned into since 2016 and get back something that looks like that Cameron coalition without both splitting the party and entirely Ratnering it.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    This article, written a few days before the Dutch election, hasn't aged well.

https://www.ft.com/content/411050a7-0a60-4d8e-b4c9-395815b66caf

"The Dutch are piloting a saner European right
    Post-Thatcherite, post-Trumpian, next week’s elections are tapping into a mood for dry moderation
    Simon Kuper"
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:
    Never ever done that and I don't know any colleague who has or does. To be fair, no one wears a suit or tie either. There may be an argument for greater formality whern dealing with external parties but for internal meetings I don't think it matters very much.Professionalism isn't just a matter of attire, it's more about attitude and competence.
    Our dress code claims that you should wear the same for WFH as you would for the office. But hardly anyone does.

T shirt and casual bottoms, not pyjama bottoms, is my norm. Hoodie or jumper at this time of year.
    Pyjamas are the new underpants?
    I rather worry that he means birthday suit bottoms. Winnie the Pooh mode and all that.
    Well the traditional recipe is:

1 - Blogging
    2 - In his mum's house
    3 - In the basement
    4 - In his underpants

I make @TSE at least 2 (1&2) out of 4, which is above a traditional pass mark.

Does anyone where @TSE has his computer? Or his underpants?
    I don’t want to imagine what @TSE’s basement looks like. And as for his underpants ….
    He's in the basement, thinking about the Government.

Me, I've just been sent a piccie of the world's happiest bollard:

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1728829838344282228

And the most satisfied one, defending the innocent public from errant Mercedes drivers. And there's not a scratch (on the bollard). I can't identify the London station in the background, with it's distinctive single arch and towers (anyone?):

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1728377314541731993
    Sometimes when street furniture meets Mercedes both come off worse for wear.

Here's Bridgend MP Jamie Wallis's E class after Jamie parked it in the village of Llanblethian after a quiet and sober evening of (alleged) cross dressing in Cowbridge.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,979
    Andy_JS said:

Post-Thatcherite, post-Trumpian, next week’s elections are tapping into a mood for dry moderation
    Simon Kuper"

Wilders got less than a quarter of the vote, so the vast majority did indeed vote for dryer, more moderate parties.
  • Options
    "National leader Christopher Luxon has been sworn in as the 42nd prime minister of New Zealand.

The ceremony took place at Government House in Wellington today, as Governor-General Dame Cindy Kiro appointed Luxon to the role on behalf of the King. Luxon swore his oath of allegiance on the Bible. Kiro also swore in ministers - such as coalition partners, ACT leader David Seymour and New Zealand First leader Winston Peters, as well as Finance Minister Nicola Willis and Attorney-General Judith Collins. NZ First's Shane Jones swore his oath of allegiance in te reo Māori, as did National's Tama Potaka, while National's Melissa Lee spoke in English and Korean."

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/11/27/christopher-luxon-sworn-in-as-new-zealands-new-prime-minister/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Kuper"

Wilders got less than a quarter of the vote, so the vast majority did indeed vote for dryer, more moderate parties.
    Wilders, plus other very right wing parties, very left wing parties, and the fundamentalists, took 40% of the seats between them.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Nigelb said:

Accident or whatever, but the Chelyabinsk 🇷🇺 plant producing, among other things, tank engines doesn’t seem to be in the best shape tonight.

I do hope it wasn't an accident :)
    The inability of Russia to protect its strategic facilities - often a huge distaane from Ukraine - is one of the most remarkable aspects of this conflict.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jus a smoking related accident

• Options

Nigelb said:

The inability of Russia to protect its strategic facilities - often a huge distaane from Ukraine - is one of the most remarkable aspects of this conflict.
    Its been claimed that Ukrainian intelligence has been recruiting disaffected Russians to carry out these attacks, over the internet.
  • Options
    "Rishi Sunak said he plans to continue with his smoking ban after New Zealand reversed its own flagship policy.

New Zealand's new coalition government has announced its intention to revoke legislation passed by the previous liberal administration designed to make it a smoke-free nation."

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunaks-position-on-smoking-ban-unchanged-as-new-zealand-scraps-policy-13015053

What's Labour's position on this?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

That's a lot of guesswork on your part.
    It’s what usually underlies cases like this. Most people are reasonable

• Options

Nigelb said:

I suspect Carl Bildt chose his words with care. He’s in a position to know more than most of us.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    TimS said:

It's like when there is a story about X who is being denied leave to remain in the country, and haven't they been hard done by... And then, later, when you hear the full story, you find that there is a very good reason why they were denied.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

It's like when there is a story about X who is being denied leave to remain in the country, and haven't they been hard done by... And then, later, when you hear the full story, you find that there is a very good reason why they were denied.
    I hope you are not intimating that the Mail doesn’t always tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    TimS said:

Probably find the local cats have developed obesity problems
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Average Labour lead is exactly 20% according to the New Statesman's election forecast. 45.2% to 25.2%.

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/08/britain-predicts-who-would-win-election-held-today
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Kuper"

They just need a better voting system, like FPTP. :)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Having worked in Councils and also in reviewing their decisions I would strongly disagree with the idea that they are always in the right. A lot of the time they are but they can also get things spectacularly wrong. It is often just a case of poor 'split second' judgements and then digging in to their position. Often if you fight back then the case falls apart when it gets to a tribunal or court. It is really essential that Council's are held accountable, be this by way of politicians, the courts, independent tribunals etc.

Regarding the situation here in the daily mail article, there may or may not be more to it, you just don't know. It is for the Council to explain itself. But apparently it didn't respond to a request for comment.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,136
    China, Japan and South Korea, amid regional rivalries, line up leaders’ summit
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/27/china-japan-south-korea-asia-summit-leaders-meeting-busan
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    edited November 2023
    Deleted
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,397
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

William Glenn's use of the word persecution is ridiculous in its exaggeration of what has happened..
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Simon Kuper"

They just need a better voting system, like FPTP. :)
    Because you think it would be preferable for him to have a landslide majority on low-twenties of the vote?

This discussion has been closed.