Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Keeping Braverman as Home Secretary is a lifestyle choice by Sunak – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,449

Are we witnessing the break-up of the Conservative Party?

The Braverman drama is indicative of a party that knows it faces a choice of defeat – or annihilation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/09/are-we-witnessing-break-up-of-conservative-party/

That's a good piece by Nelson. Impartial and informative.
    ...and behind the paywall.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,814
    This thread has failed to get permission for it to be posted
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,958
    On the subject of yougov polls, I love this one.

What a miserable bunch we are:

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

If Suella is fired her supporters ought to launch a leadership bid.

Love it. A proper homage to deckchairs and the titanic.
    Braverman supporters are the sort who regard lifeboats as a lifestyle choice.
    More than anything it's a crap leadership bid, even with the insanity that is the current Tory party.

Look how quick Patel sank in the ConHome approval ratings doing half this sort of stuff. Why should Braverman fare any better? To my eyes, a lifeboat is a lifestyle choice for the Suellites themselves.
    And yet, there is a king
    over the water....
    If he does the jungle, he may quite literally be the King over the water.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,979

Bloke on GB News just now:

"What an argument against PR the Israel Knesset is."

This common analysis confuses cause and effect. The problem is not PR: Israel is a very diverse country. FPTP would still produce the same chaotic Knesset because the people in liberal Tel Aviv, the settlers in the West Bank, the ultra-Orthodox community, the recent Russian immigrants and the Israeli Arabs have very different views.
  • Options
    Tax on savers should raise an extra £3bn+ this year compared to last, with an extra 700,000 people owing tax on savings.

Any rational government would spend a few million employing extra HMRC staff to deal with this and run an advertising campaign to make sure people know what they need to do. It will more than pay for itself in better compliance.

Instead we go for temporary closing the HMRC phonelines to dampen demand.

Absolute nutters.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Tax on savers should raise an extra £3bn+ this year compared to last, with an extra 700,000 people owing tax on savings.

Any rational government would spend a few million employing extra HMRC staff to deal with this and run an advertising campaign to make sure people know what they need to do. It will more than pay for itself in better compliance.

Instead we go for temporary closing the HMRC phonelines to dampen demand.

Absolute nutters.

The banks automatically send the information to HMRC around August/September. Some people will find themselves with a surprising tax bill as a result.

If people are in self assessment the main thing is making sure the system picks up on them putting the wrong information into their returns.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070

Are we witnessing the break-up of the Conservative Party?

The Braverman drama is indicative of a party that knows it faces a choice of defeat – or annihilation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/11/09/are-we-witnessing-break-up-of-conservative-party/

That's a good piece by Nelson. Impartial and informative.
    ...and behind the paywall.
    Not for me it wasn't.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

If Suella is fired her supporters ought to launch a leadership bid.

A fourth PM in one Parliament is just what the country is crying out for.
    Or, we could accept that Liz Truss should be PM and revert back.....
    Are you serious? I bow to nobody in my respect for her and her programme, but her reputation is trashed, whether we would like it or not.
    In-joke - both Doug and I jest that she has a good chance of becoming leader once again!
    TRUSS

Her time.

T

R

U

S

S

• Options
    stodge said:

Looking at the YouGov date, England breaks 48-24-10 so that's an 18.5% swing from Conservative to Labour.

The 2019 Conservative vote splits 38% Conservative, 23% Don't Know, 11% Labour and 11% Reform - as I've remarked before, those are outlier numbers compared to other pollsters.

21% of women and 13% of men are Don't Knows - the age group with the largest numbers (25-44) has the biggest Labour lead.

Weighted subsamples?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67372615

"£10K Covid fines were too high, admits Priti Patel"

SPI-B advice was against a focus on tough penalties but that's what Conservative ministers wanted, because that's how Conservative ministers think.

... They think?
    I seem to remember a load of students in Nottingham getting fined ten grand for having a house party. Is this right? If so, did they ever pay it?
This discussion has been closed.