Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impacts of the floods on the 2015 General Election

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Scott_P said:

As you are interested in Scotland's future, what do you think the currency plan should be, now that currency union is off the table?

There is "a range of options". So far we have had

1. Bluff
    2. Bluster.
    3. Blubbering

We eagerly await

4. Beans!
    Just what I would expect , gibberish. Are you unable to formulate the response in an intelligent fashion and dissect the 5 options that were printed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

isam said:

JackW said:

BREAKING WIND NEWS *** BREAKING WIND NEWS *** BREAKING WIND NEWS ***

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection :

Should Scotland Be An Independent Country ?

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    McARSE - Magnificent Caledonian Anonymous Random Selection of Electors

Another 'poll' just pulled out of your Arse :)
    Why do people give @JackW stick for trying to predict elections & referendums? I don't think he is saying it is a poll is he?
    I have asked him his methodology time after time and been hit with a range of quasi-humorous ripostes. This morning he has snapped.
    Why would he tell you his methodology, and why do you think you are entitled to know?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JackW said:

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection :

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

It's not a poll or even 'poll' you dimwit.

Pleasant.
    What would you call someone who over several months, despite being disabused of the fact, kept calling a projection a poll ?? .... A Nobel Prize winner ?!?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

So explain your hatred of Scotland, SNP and Salmond.

There's your problem. Scotland /= SNP or Salmond

Compare and contrast

Islamic fundamentalist: A cartoon of The Prophet denigrates Islam

ScotNat FundaMentalist: A cartoon of Eck 'The Prophet' Salmond denigrates Scotland

Salmond is not Scotland.

I love Scotland. I have no love for Salmond. I haven't drunk the KoolAid. I don't believe his agenda is good for Scotland or Scots.
    You are a typical BT supporter , no principles, no hope.
    Who was accusing the other side of "negative campaigning"?

As you are interested in Scotland's future, what do you think the currency plan should be, now that currency union is off the table?

It is not off the table.

The criticism I have of ASalmond (and in many respects I admire him as a conviction politician) is that he is "neglecting" to tell the Scottish electorate just what a currency union actually means with the consequent loss of fiscal and monetary autonomy (I'm sure the fiscal pact and banking union issues could be addressed).

This verges on disingenuousness and for that reason it is legitimate to criticise him.
    There are four problems with a currency union - the fiscal pact only addresses one of them - the other three may be insoluble: 1) the markets have to believe it is irreversible and will "last forever" - the SNP have made clear its a stop-gap, 2) the burden of risk is grossly asymmetrical and 3) the impositions on Holyrood spending from "London politicians" will poison relations between the two countries.

Added to that it's now electorally unpopular in rUK, why would an rUK government agree to it?

It's dead. Move on.

You are right on each count. But this is politics (as Mark Carney astutely observed) and should there be a YES vote (there won't be) then you can expect some kind of fudged agreement but for sure with disadvantageous terms for Scotland.

The only reason that it is not a 100% waste of time discussing this is that following a NO vote there will be some kind of Devo max negotiations and I believe that Devo max won't look a whole lot different to a YES with currency union.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Financier said:

@OblitusSumMe

May I inquire if you have lived on either of the two Somerset levels?

I have, as my parents owned a dairy farm on the North Somerset Levels - the one based around the River Yeo.

Hello Tim ?
  • Options

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

May one enquire how this compares with previous effusions?
    Yes indeed.

Sep .. Yes 42% .. No 58%
    Oct .. Yes 39.5% .. No 60.5%
    Jan .. Yes 38% .. No 62%
    Feb .. Yes 36% .. No 64%

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Pleasant.
    What would you call someone who over several months, despite being disabused of the fact, kept calling a projection a poll ?? .... A Nobel Prize winner ?!?

I would call them no name at all. For what it is worth, this is the first time you have argued over the poll/projection thing. Most of the time you simply rebuff my questions re: your methodology. Therefore I can only assume it's a guess.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Why do people give @JackW stick for trying to predict elections & referendums? I don't think he is saying it is a poll is he?
    I have asked him his methodology time after time and been hit with a range of quasi-humorous ripostes. This morning he has snapped.
    Why would he tell you his methodology, and why do you think you are entitled to know?
    If I were guessing at the result of an election, I would simply say so. Man up. There's no harm in it.
  • Options
    It's also worth considering the curious franchise for the referendum, which includes 16-18 year olds and EU citizens resident in Scotland.

A good friend of mine is a German living in Scotland who has decided not to vote in the referendum on the principle that it's the sort of decision that should be made by Scottish people. If some of the English temporarily resident in Scotland take the same view then the turnout could be relatively low for reasons of principle rather than apathy.

Far from being malodorous hot air, the outpourings of Jacks ARSE and McARSE are solid and regular. They should not be ignored, or they may cause a few slip ups.

To my mind the 79% turnout figure looks rather high. In 1978 the turnout was only 63%, in a time when electoral turnouts were rather higher generally.

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

No: it's JackW's best guess/estimate at the likely outcome, based on all sorts of factors some of which are relevant, others of which are not.

He did well in the US presidential elections, but don't know about other previous predictions.

You may think he's wrong, but it's always useful to know what smart analysts are thinking
  • Options
    Gosh, I'm sure if Eck were even aware of PB.com he'd be gratified to see so many PB Unionists dancing to a Scottish jig.

Surprised no one has commented on Al Darling's performance on C4 News last night; he was given a rougher ride than he's used to with BBC Scotland interviewers, the blink count was up to at least 100 per minute. Not comforting viewing for Unionists I'd surmise.

In today's other news, Gordon Brown is launching a campaign to tell us how our pensions would be really ****ed up in an independent Scotland.

http://tinyurl.com/nnmhldl

Irony has been tortured, executed and its body dumped in a ditch.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036

@JosiasJessop - in the video I link to Monbiot does say that dredging has a role to play at some points in the Somerset Levels. It is however far from being the cure-all that the farming lobby claims.

Land-use practices, things that sound as simple as not leaving the ground bare in winter - it doesn't necessarily have to be covered in trees - can have a much larger impact.

The thing that particularly impresses me about Monbiot is that he follows things through and gets into the detail - in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods as a result of removing regulations on soil erosion prevention for farmers growing maize.

Much more convincing than the dredging drones.

It didn't take much science to say in December 2013 that there would be floods in the future on the levels, given that there were (admittedly lesser but disruptive) floods in the previous two winters.

I'm not convinced about the maize arguments (it will be a factor of some size, but I doubt it's major). However I am fairly convinced that lack of dredging *is* a major factor. It will not have stopped these floods, but it may have the 2011 and 2012 ones.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited February 2014

isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

If I were guessing at the result of an election, I would simply say so. Man up. There's no harm in it.
    Man up?! What's that got to do with anything?

Just seems weird that you would get annoyed about something that is trivial and none of your business
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    malcolmg said:

Mr. G, it's worth considering that Salmond's approach to antagonise non-Scots to drive up division between Scotland and the rest of the UK also has the effect of making Salmond very easy to dislike.

Furthermore, disliking Salmond or even the SNP is not the same thing as disliking Scotland. Some of the nicest posters on pb.com are Scottish, and I strongly hope the union remains intact. I rather dislike Salmond, not merely his political position, because it's divisive and even deceitful. In one breath he claims (post-independence) England and Scotland will be 'best pals' and in another he attempts to propose to inflict a currency union on a country he hopes to leave and threatens to ignore 100% of Scotland's debts* if he doesn't get his way.

It's not a fantastic way to encourage bilateral trade if independence should occur.

*Technically, Scotland would not have any debt. But tell that to Englishmen, Welshmen and Northern Irishmen who have seen two Scottish Chancellors and a Scottish Prime Minister prop up two Scottish banks with British taxpayers' money and then Scotland taking no debt whatsoever.

There's still a long way to go. Perhaps the debate will become more cordial. I suspect it will become more acrimonious.

I rather dislike many Westminster politicians , of all nationalities and the troughers in HOL and I strongly hope the union is broken. The threats are all coming one way , usual big boy trying to bully the smaller opponent. If Westminster threaten to keep the assets then it is unreasonable to expect Scotland to accept Westminster's debts.
    The unionists seem determined to make it acrimonious as they have little positive to offer.
    As ever your myopic view regarding UK banks regulated by Westminster is rather disingenuous.
    Westminster caused the problem and then bailed out UK banks, Scotland had little say in the regulation of the bankers and therin lies the problem. A nameplate in Edinburgh does not make a bank Scottish.
    You do realise that a currency is a liability, not an asset, right?
  • Options
    Charles said:

No: it's JackW's best guess/estimate at the likely outcome, based on all sorts of factors some of which are relevant, others of which are not.

He did well in the US presidential elections, but don't know about other previous predictions.

I don't think JackW is particularly proud of his predictions for Lib Dem seats at the 2010GE, but his contributions to the site are greatly appreciated be me.
  • Options

@JosiasJessop - in the video I link to Monbiot does say that dredging has a role to play at some points in the Somerset Levels. It is however far from being the cure-all that the farming lobby claims.

Land-use practices, things that sound as simple as not leaving the ground bare in winter - it doesn't necessarily have to be covered in trees - can have a much larger impact.

The thing that particularly impresses me about Monbiot is that he follows things through and gets into the detail - in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods as a result of removing regulations on soil erosion prevention for farmers growing maize.

It didn't take much science to say in December 2013 that there would be floods in the future on the levels, given that there were (admittedly lesser but disruptive) floods in the previous two winters.

I'm not convinced about the maize arguments (it will be a factor of some size, but I doubt it's major). However I am fairly convinced that lack of dredging *is* a major factor. It will not have stopped these floods, but it may have the 2011 and 2012 ones.
    The research was not specifically about the Somerset Levels.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Yes indeed.

Sep .. Yes 42% .. No 58%
    Jan .. Yes 38% .. No 62%
    Feb .. Yes 36% .. No 64%

Thank you - a clear move away from "Yes"..... Have you sniffed any movement as a result of the McSterling McFandango?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Man up?! What's that got to do with anything?

Just seems weird that you would get annoyed about something that is trivial and none of your business
    TLBS is depressed that an intervention by those on the other side of his class war has not seen a massive swing to "YES".

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Ed Conway @EdConwaySky
    UK CPI inflation drops from 2pc in Dec to 1.9pc in Jan. First time it's been below target since late 2009

Wonder what Ed Balls has to say now!
  • Options
    The GOOD NEWS really IS here now.

UK inflation falls to 1.9%

Fantastic.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Pleasant.

I would call them no name at all. For what it is worth, this is the first time you have argued over the poll/projection thing. Most of the time you simply rebuff my questions re: your methodology. Therefore I can only assume it's a guess.
    Unless you've not noticed every prior notification has "Projection Countdown" and the actual notification has "Projection" and not one solitary mention of a poll.

You seem to be the only person confused and that is your problem and not mine.

If you had been with PB a little longer you would have realised that my ARSE has an incomparable record of making outstanding projections over several elections here and across the pond.

So may I suggest that instead of quibbling, that you like most other PBers simply embrace my magnificent organ and enjoy .... and the profits that go with it.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Mr. G, it's worth considering that Salmond's approach to antagonise non-Scots to drive up division between Scotland and the rest of the UK also has the effect of making Salmond very easy to dislike.

Furthermore, disliking Salmond or even the SNP is not the same thing as disliking Scotland. Some of the nicest posters on pb.com are Scottish, and I strongly hope the union remains intact. I rather dislike Salmond, not merely his political position, because it's divisive and even deceitful. In one breath he claims (post-independence) England and Scotland will be 'best pals' and in another he attempts to propose to inflict a currency union on a country he hopes to leave and threatens to ignore 100% of Scotland's debts* if he doesn't get his way.

It's not a fantastic way to encourage bilateral trade if independence should occur.

*Technically, Scotland would not have any debt. But tell that to Englishmen, Welshmen and Northern Irishmen who have seen two Scottish Chancellors and a Scottish Prime Minister prop up two Scottish banks with British taxpayers' money and then Scotland taking no debt whatsoever.

There's still a long way to go. Perhaps the debate will become more cordial. I suspect it will become more acrimonious.

Much or all of this is not Mr Salmond but down to the media's classic personalization/trivialisation strategy of equating indy with Mr Salmond. It seems to me that Mr Osborne and his allies are also whipping up divisiveness to their own ends (waving the patriotism card to fend off UKIP, and damage Labour as a bonus).

The SNP position is consistent and positive - that the Scots lay claim to pro rata share of the assets, apparatus [including BoE ], and debts of the UK of which Scotland is legally a full partner. The other option is of course the new state, no assets, no debts option, but that is not what the SNP have offered, except latterly as a default should the unionist side demand it. The unionist position has in general been far more negative and incoherent but tending to the new state view.

Now some horsetrading is inevitable - the Scots would hardly want 17% of a QE2 class aircraft carrier, for instance. But to deny currency union so early, without negotiation, is not convincing except as propaganda to influence the vote. Mr Osborne's speech has not been probed as it should be, given the obvious problems and careful omissions in it; and it is significant that he disappeared after his speech rather than be questioned on it. To give two examples: how Scottish financial sector assets being 12X GDP somehow equated directly to a banking regulatory disaster; and Mr Osborne's reluctance to discuss the advantages for EWNI of currency union - no mention of balance of payments issues, for instance. Or whether EWNI itself could meet the BoE's proposed controls which - as Mr Carney stressed - apply to both parties. Too early to say so far.

• Options

Gosh, I'm sure if Eck were even aware of PB.com he'd be gratified to see so many PB Unionists dancing to a Scottish jig.

Surprised no one has commented on Al Darling's performance on C4 News last night; he was given a rougher ride than he's used to with BBC Scotland interviewers, the blink count was up to at least 100 per minute. Not comforting viewing for Unionists I'd surmise.

In today's other news, Gordon Brown is launching a campaign to tell us how our pensions would be really ****ed up in an independent Scotland.

Eck and his team of advisers are well aware of PB.com. No.10 is not the only political office which keeps a regular eye on this august political organ. There will be much angst in YESNP circles this morning at the results predicted by Jack's arse.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, whilst I concur the media generally prefers personalities to issues (simpler for them to handle), Salmond has referred to a 'George Tax', so personalisation cannot be a charge levelled solely at the media.

I also disagree on the divisiveness, or lack thereof, of Osborne/Balls/Alexander. They're setting out the UK position should independence occur. You cannot expect them to remain mute whilst Salmond tells of mana raining from the sky to nourish the chosen people of God.

Balance of payments is a legitimate issue to raise, but so are the many reasons against a currency union (not least the lack of a desire for one from the English, Welsh and Northern Irish). Salmond's 'deconstruction' amounted to naming a tax after an Englishman and saying "Yes we can" when it comes to forcing a foreign country (as it would be) into a currency union.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Big legal day today:

Court of Appeal to announce ruling on whole-life terms

I heard on the radio a human rights lawyer talking about the 'possibility' of release after each block of 25 years. But whenever I hear a human rights/parole type person mention the word 'possibility' I always consider them to mean 'will be unless there is cause not to' - which generally then means 'will be let out'

I hope our court of appeal stands firm on this one.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

. Mr Osborne's speech has not been probed as it should be, given the obvious problems and careful omissions in it
    Why did Salmind not do that yesterday?

And Sterling is not "an asset" of the UK - it is a monetary instrument of the UK government - which Salmind knows, but chooses to misrepresent. If the UK splits, Sterling stays with the continuing state, the country departing having given up its right to use it.

• Options

It's also worth considering the curious franchise for the referendum, which includes 16-18 year olds and EU citizens resident in Scotland.

A good friend of mine is a German living in Scotland who has decided not to vote in the referendum on the principle that it's the sort of decision that should be made by Scottish people. If some of the English temporarily resident in Scotland take the same view then the turnout could be relatively low for reasons of principle rather than apathy.

Far from being malodorous hot air, the outpourings of Jacks ARSE and McARSE are solid and regular. They should not be ignored, or they may cause a few slip ups.

To my mind the 79% turnout figure looks rather high. In 1978 the turnout was only 63%, in a time when electoral turnouts were rather higher generally.

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

In my experience the most rabid pro independence residents of Scotland include many who have not lost the English accents they hold having been born on the southern side of the border. I well remember in the late 1960s a London born friend of my father's joined the SNP. The SNP has a very active group among the Asian communities in Scotland with people who were not born here being very pro independence as much as those who are 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation Scots Asians.
  • Options
    @TGOHF

You seem very easily confused. There is no 'class war' here - and I am a unionist. I merely want to know what Jack's methodology is. I have asked him quite politely a number of times and he has simply fobbed me off. All he had to say was "I'd prefer not to tell you thanks". How you equate that with class war, only you know.

With regards to your specific point - there have been no polls since the currency row. Even Jack doesn't classify his projection as a poll.
  • Options
    Would be refreshing if a "Yes" poster could be honest about the last week and give a positive appraisal of how they can turn it around - could even be a thread.

• Options

So they were predicting floods *somewhere*?

Wow, what great prediction that was.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

No sane farmer would grow maize on the levels - they're primarily used for grazing. Why? Because they're water meadows, and have been flooding for centuries.

The severity of the flooding has been exacerbated by the lack of dredging, fewer pumps and their reduced maintenance, and the subsequent inability to move water towards the sea at a higher rate.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Personalisation of the campaign is hardly a phenomenon of the No campaign, earlier this thread we had malcolmg construing dislike of Salmond as hatred of Scotland.

I am not opposed to Scottish independence, but Salmond has not been telling the truth to the Electorate on a variety of issues, a currency union being the most recent.

Carnyx said:

Much or all of this is not Mr Salmond but down to the media's classic personalization/trivialisation strategy of equating indy with Mr Salmond. It seems to me that Mr Osborne and his allies are also whipping up divisiveness to their own ends (waving the patriotism card to fend off UKIP, and damage Labour as a bonus).

The SNP position is consistent and positive - that the Scots lay claim to pro rata share of the assets, apparatus [including BoE ], and debts of the UK of which Scotland is legally a full partner. The other option is of course the new state, no assets, no debts option, but that is not what the SNP have offered, except latterly as a default should the unionist side demand it. The unionist position has in general been far more negative and incoherent but tending to the new state view.

Now some horsetrading is inevitable - the Scots would hardly want 17% of a QE2 class aircraft carrier, for instance. But to deny currency union so early, without negotiation, is not convincing except as propaganda to influence the vote. Mr Osborne's speech has not been probed as it should be, given the obvious problems and careful omissions in it; and it is significant that he disappeared after his speech rather than be questioned on it. To give two examples: how Scottish financial sector assets being 12X GDP somehow equated directly to a banking regulatory disaster; and Mr Osborne's reluctance to discuss the advantages for EWNI of currency union - no mention of balance of payments issues, for instance. Or whether EWNI itself could meet the BoE's proposed controls which - as Mr Carney stressed - apply to both parties. Too early to say so far.

• Options

Charles said:

I don't think JackW is particularly proud of his predictions for Lib Dem seats at the 2010GE, but his contributions to the site are greatly appreciated be me.
    My own prediction was 75 and ARSE 65. So ARSE was ok but clearly not as fine as the Con largest party on 305.

My ARSE US projections have been outstanding.

In 08 Missouri let me down, mighty close but no cigar, and in 12 Florida did for me. I had Romney to edge the state by 0.5%. It comes to something when you can't rely on the GOP to fix Florida in a close race .... hanging chads, my arse !!

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Would be refreshing if a "Yes" poster could be honest about the last week and give a positive appraisal of how they can turn it around - could even be a thread.

We just don't know whether it's been good or bad for Yes until we have seen some polling!

• Options

The paper was not specifically about predicting floods, but about soil degradation - one of the consequences of which would be flooding.

If you can't be bothered to read the things I link to why can you be bothered to argue about them?

It's pointless to argue about something you haven't read, because you are arguing about things that you *think* it says, rather than the things it *actually* says.

Stop being so silly.
  • Options
    I lived in Somerset for over 8 years...I can't remember seeing fields and fields of much maize.
  • Options

Eck and his team of advisers are well aware of PB.com. No.10 is not the only political office which keeps a regular eye on this august political organ. There will be much angst in YESNP circles this morning at the results predicted by Jack's arse.

Even if 'Eck and his team of advisers are well aware of PB.com', they'd be hard put to distinguish the outpourings of one arse from another.

• Options

In my experience the most rabid pro independence residents of Scotland include many who have not lost the English accents they hold having been born on the southern side of the border. I well remember in the late 1960s a London born friend of my father's joined the SNP. The SNP has a very active group among the Asian communities in Scotland with people who were not born here being very pro independence as much as those who are 2nd, 3rd or even 4th generation Scots Asians.
    That's an interesting observation, thanks.

I would have assumed that English residents in Scotland would be most likely to vote for the Union, if they vote, because they will have first-hand experience of the advantages that being in the Union bring to making it easier to move across the border.
  • Options
    A note on inflation and the floods - the floods may well be mixed news for UK inflation as it will not dip too far below the 2% target - food prices to rise later in the year which will create upward pressure on inflation.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Yes indeed.

Sep .. Yes 42% .. No 58%
    Jan .. Yes 38% .. No 62%
    Feb .. Yes 36% .. No 64%

Thank you - a clear move away from "Yes"..... Have you sniffed any movement as a result of the McSterling McFandango?

Yes, the drift has accelerated somewhat and the currency issue has, not unsurprisingly, shot up the McARSE "Issues Ratio"

• Options
    Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC · 37 secs
    Court of Appeal upholds the principle of whole life terms for most serious killers in England and Wales.

Excellent....
  • Options

I lived in Somerset for over 8 years...I can't remember seeing fields and fields of much maize.

Maize needs a lot of water, doesn't it? So it's great when there is a lot of water. But not so great when there isn't. And remember, it was only two years ago that we had a major drought on our hands. There has to be a better solution than that.

• Options

Court of Appeal upholds the principle of whole life terms for most serious killers in England and Wales.

Excellent....

In betting terms that is good news for the Theresa May to stay at Home Sec bet some of us are on.
  • Options

Excellent....

Very good news.
  • Options

Even if 'Eck and his team of advisers are well aware of PB.com', they'd be hard put to distinguish the outpourings of one arse from another.

They are aware of PB.

The Grand Poobahs of the SNP (and all the other parties) invited Mike up to Holyrood last year for a few days to listen to Mike's thoughts and opinions on how the referendum might turn out and what they should and shouldn't do.

Mike left with the impression that Yes could win and if he had a vote, he'd vote yes.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

You want honesty and positivity?
    There's no need to disfigure Irony's cold, dead body.

• Options
    @foxinsox - "Salmond has not been telling the truth to the Electorate on a variety of issues, a currency union being the most recent"

The SNP leadership do not trust the Scottish electorate to make the right decision if the full facts of independence are discussed. In that sense they are very different to other members of the Yes side, such as Jim Sillars and Patrick Harvie. Salmond and Sturgeon both know that the vision of the independence process they are peddling is complete nonsense, but their aim is to win the vote - nothing more.
  • Options

@TGOHF

You seem very easily confused. There is no 'class war' here - and I am a unionist. I merely want to know what Jack's methodology is. I have asked him quite politely a number of times and he has simply fobbed me off. All he had to say was "I'd prefer not to tell you thanks". How you equate that with class war, only you know.

With regards to your specific point - there have been no polls since the currency row. Even Jack doesn't classify his projection as a poll.

The penny has dropped ?!?

You have indeed politely requested the ARSE methodology and I have rebuffed you. I do not issue details of my own patent methodology.

Might I suggest that you simply embrace my ARSE and not try to over anal-yse it.

• Options

The paper was not specifically about predicting floods, but about soil degradation - one of the consequences of which would be flooding.

If you can't be bothered to read the things I link to why can you be bothered to argue about them?

It's pointless to argue about something you haven't read, because you are arguing about things that you *think* it says, rather than the things it *actually* says.

Stop being so silly.
    Further upthread you said: " ... in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods"

At least you now admit that the paper did no such thing.

The sad thing is I don't think we're a million miles apart on this issue, it's just the degree the causes (and there will be multiple) have on the floods.
  • Options
    On thing is for certain now - the 40+ Scottish Labour MPs are going absolutely nowhere before May 2015 even in the event of a Yes vote.

Far too many rows to be had.
  • Options
    Those evil Tories

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/salmond-didnt-even-come-close-rebutting-osbornes-currency-threat

"But today, Panglossian as ever, he unambiguously failed on his own terms. "
  • Options

Maize needs a lot of water, doesn't it? So it's great when there is a lot of water. But not so great when there isn't. And remember, it was only two years ago that we had a major drought on our hands. There has to be a better solution than that.

A couple of weeks ago I did suggest turning parts of the levels into a water supply-reservoir for London and the southeast. Mind, that 'idea' was only the febrile result of a dream and would require massive engineering, and have severe ecological and social effects.

But it would at least be more honest to the residents than EA's current policy.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

You want honesty and positivity?
    There's no need to disfigure Irony's cold, dead body.

The floor is yours UD - what should the last 6 months focus on for YES - more of the same or a different tack ?

• Options

@foxinsox - "Salmond has not been telling the truth to the Electorate on a variety of issues, a currency union being the most recent"

The SNP leadership do not trust the Scottish electorate to make the right decision if the full facts of independence are discussed. In that sense they are very different to other members of the Yes side, such as Jim Sillars and Patrick Harvie. Salmond and Sturgeon both know that the vision of the independence process they are peddling is complete nonsense, but their aim is to win the vote - nothing more.

That's a hideously cynical view of politics...

but you might not be wrong.
  • Options

Stop being so silly.
    Further upthread you said: " ... in this case he's using a scientific paper from December 2013 that all but predicted the floods"

The sad thing is I don't think we're a million miles apart on this issue, it's just the degree the causes (and there will be multiple) have on the floods.
    In my understanding of the phrase "... all but predicted the floods" the meaning is that it does not predict the floods - hence the "but" in the sentence - but it very nearly does.

Which if you'd bother to read the extract from the abstract that I posted in the thread, or the abstract itself, or Monbiot's article, or understood basic grammar, you might have understood.

Your blind insistence on disagreeing with Monbiot for ideological reasons is clouding your judgement.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

My, my! Clearly a hugely oversold ARSE here. A hole in one, one might say. ;)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I see inflation has fallen below 2%. Can we please take a moment to remember every individual on here that was saying for years inflation would take off eventually, due to all the "money printing", often with a smug "just you see"? Some of us actually appreciated Keynesian economics and liquidity traps, but were mocked at the time.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited February 2014
    Good to see the scottish tory surgers and PB Romneys are still shrieking away pointlessly.
    Next thing they'll be sniffing some old codgers arse for comfort.

*chortle*
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    A very concerning report on child sexual exploitation in the UK, with the problem in this country the second worse in the world:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26234092

The number of UK-born children thought to have been trafficked for sexual exploitation more than doubled last year, the National Crime Agency said.

The most common nationality or country of origin for child victims of trafficking (not just for sexual abuse) was Vietnam, followed by the UK and then Albania.

This is actually a really serious issue that deserves attention, as much as the more disgusting posters on here like to accuse anyone concerned about it as "an obsessive" as a way to score points against those they disagree with.
  • Options
    Oh, it happens on both sides - and I don't think it is very helpful certainly on PB. But I was thinking more of the sheer scale of the UK media, especially the DT, which makes it all rather reminiscent of Emmanuel Goldstein. Mind you, that may simply be because the media outlets are all more or less Unionist - but that is not much of an excuse. And, of course, what the media say Mr Salmond says is not necessarily what Mr Salmond actually says, either in content or still more so in balance, editing, and so on.

It is one of the big disappointments of this campaign that the level of critical analysis has been so uneven, when one side's speeches are treated with relative deference and the other side's smallest remarks are taken out of context and seized on for weeks and made to bear meanings they never had. Moreover, such asymmetry makes the contests very difficult to call, partly because the media reports do not necessarily bear any close relation to the actual situation. Just look at the reporting of Mr Carney's speech, for instance.

On the currency union truth issue, I'd say that the question is whether Mr Salmond or Mr Osborne is more likely to be right in saying that there would be one in the event of a Yes vote; that this has not been negotiated yet; and that Mr Osborne's speech and the media coverage has been notably, let's say, incomplete. So I'm keeping an open mind for now.

Personalisation of the campaign is hardly a phenomenon of the No campaign, earlier this thread we had malcolmg construing dislike of Salmond as hatred of Scotland.

I am not opposed to Scottish independence, but Salmond has not been telling the truth to the Electorate on a variety of issues, a currency union being the most recent.

Carnyx said:

[earlier posts edited out/down]

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

On thing is for certain now - the 40+ Scottish Labour MPs are going absolutely nowhere before May 2015 even in the event of a Yes vote.

Far too many rows to be had.

"Rows"? Care to elaborate, or is something happening, please?

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Mick_Pork said:

Good to see the scottish tory surgers and PB Romneys are still shrieking away pointlessly.

*chortle*

Arbroath 4, Forfar 5

ROFLPBtorypandashrieksurge 359, substantive comment nil.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Oh, it happens on both sides - and I don't think it is very helpful certainly on PB. But I was thinking more of the sheer scale of the UK media, especially the DT, which makes it all rather reminiscent of Emmanuel Goldstein. Mind you, that may simply be because the media outlets are all more or less Unionist - but that is not much of an excuse. And, of course, what the media say Mr Salmond says is not necessarily what Mr Salmond actually says, either in content or still more so in balance, editing, and so on.

You can edit it however you want, when Alex Salmond says it's a "diktat" to Scotland when the UK government won't do what he wants it to do, he's damned with his own words. As he is when he reacts to anyone outside of his country talking about economics as flying up from England and being ignorant of Scottishness.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Extraordinary rainfall. Blame the government!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2014
    perdix said:

Extraordinary rainfall. Blame the government!

Spot on. They should also be blamed for any drought, snow and wind. Hail is, of course, the Catholic Church's fault.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

There are indeed flaws in JackW's methodology. To iron these out I am working on a set of equations which could loosely be described as a Riemannian electoral calculus tensor unity matrix. The bottom, as it were, line is: do not trust the output of Jack's ARSE unless it has also passed through my RECTUM.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

I rather dislike many Westminster politicians , of all nationalities and the troughers in HOL and I strongly hope the union is broken. The threats are all coming one way , usual big boy trying to bully the smaller opponent. If Westminster threaten to keep the assets then it is unreasonable to expect Scotland to accept Westminster's debts.
    The unionists seem determined to make it acrimonious as they have little positive to offer.
    As ever your myopic view regarding UK banks regulated by Westminster is rather disingenuous.
    Westminster caused the problem and then bailed out UK banks, Scotland had little say in the regulation of the bankers and therin lies the problem. A nameplate in Edinburgh does not make a bank Scottish.
    Yes just like oil , whisky , natural resources , etc , quick we better vote to stay in union ..............yawn
    A share of the pound is ours , a share of the BofE is ours , a share of all currency reserves is ours, ad infinitum
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Mr Pork - It is not the unionists who are clinging for comfort here. The polls have relentlessly shown no movement and the latest currency debacle will not help Salmond. He has been ruled out of any control of the £ whether he likes it or not and entry to the Euro has for the moment been barred too. Both may be a bluff, I suspect the £ isn't and Spain will not be happy to see Scotland enter the euro with its own Catalonia issue. So I would envisage he Scots continuing to use the £ in much the same way alot of the world uses the Dollar before difficult and compromising negotiations to enter the Euro. This uncertainty over something so fundamental of course has not registered in salience issues - If you asked me what my concerns are the currency would not be amongst them. But it would be if I was a Scot right now.

Expect saliency of the currency to increase and the polls continue to show no movement - not good for Yes.

The price for independence has moved out to 9/2 on the betting markets from 4/1 where OGH bought in heavily. He is a patient and steady gambler but that 9/2 may not move in. I'd probably buy at 11/2 right now.

The next poll is crucial - unless there is a decent swing to Yes the referendum is lost.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Arbroath 4, Forfar 5

I'm sure that, like me, you're looking forward to Mick's outpourings on Friday the 19th of September. It will be a day to treasure.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    "On Sunday I speculated on whether the government’s response to the flooding would have an electoral effect."

It's not hit VI but I doubt the shambles around the blame game or deploying Pickles as flood response/sandbag has helped much with the competence perception. Nor will the slow response have helped the out of touch ratings that Cammie enjoys.
    Daily Mirror ‏@DailyMirror 13h

I'm alright, Jack: David Cameron boasts that HIS river has been dredged twice since 2007 http://mirr.im/1kOGRNx
    However, this should have been an easy boost for the kippers as a protest party yet they are still not repeating the rise in VI that preceded last May's local elections. Those EU and local elections might still be a few months away but they are closing in fast and the campaigns for each party are already taking shape.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Yes indeed.

Sep .. Yes 42% .. No 58%
    Jan .. Yes 38% .. No 62%
    Feb .. Yes 36% .. No 64%

LOL, toom tabard is easily taken in, only a fool would think the polls are moving to NO.
    Even flipper Darling had to admit that last night after being called out on the same LIE.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Mick_Pork said:

*chortle*

Arbroath 4, Forfar 5

Close ....

East Fife 5 .. Forfar 4

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Yes just like oil , whisky , natural resources , etc , quick we better vote to stay in union ..............yawn
    A share of the pound is ours , a share of the BofE is ours , a share of all currency reserves is ours, ad infinitum
    What are you talking about?

"A share of the pound is ours."

As teens across the globe would put it:

What does that even mean?
  • Options

They will be rolling in the aisles.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

There are indeed flaws in JackW's methodology. To iron these out I am working on a set of equations which could loosely be described as a Riemannian electoral calculus tensor unity matrix. The bottom, as it were, line is: do not trust the output of Jack's ARSE unless it has also passed through my RECTUM.
    Madam !! .... We've not even been introduced ......

• Options
    malcolmg said:

You're quite entitled to have your share of UK currency reserves after the split, as well as a share of the Bank's assets. What you're not entitled to is for the UK Government to consider your interests when setting monetary policy, or for the UK Government to act as a lender of last resort for your economy. In the same way, you don't get a share of the Treasury's decisions, or a share of the Defence department's decisions. That's what separation means: removing yourself from UK institutions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

YES 36% .. No 64%

Turnout Projection 79%

Yes indeed.

Sep .. Yes 42% .. No 58%
    Jan .. Yes 38% .. No 62%
    Feb .. Yes 36% .. No 64%

LOL, toom tabard is easily taken in, only a fool would think the polls are moving to NO.
    Even flipper Darling had to admit that last night after being called out on the same LIE.
    You guys are fascinating to watch.

It's like a convention of the Flat Earth Society held on a space station, with everyone sitting with their back to the window.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A currency union requires willing partners, it is not for one to force on the others. How would Scots react if rUK insisted that Independent Scotland use a particular currency?

Floundering politicians often claim that they were misquoted, or things taken out of context. Salmond is no different to the rest.

Carnyx said:

It is one of the big disappointments of this campaign that the level of critical analysis has been so uneven, when one side's speeches are treated with relative deference and the other side's smallest remarks are taken out of context and seized on for weeks and made to bear meanings they never had. Moreover, such asymmetry makes the contests very difficult to call, partly because the media reports do not necessarily bear any close relation to the actual situation. Just look at the reporting of Mr Carney's speech, for instance.

On the currency union truth issue, I'd say that the question is whether Mr Salmond or Mr Osborne is more likely to be right in saying that there would be one in the event of a Yes vote; that this has not been negotiated yet; and that Mr Osborne's speech and the media coverage has been notably, let's say, incomplete. So I'm keeping an open mind for now.

Carnyx said:

[earlier posts edited out/down]

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Then they should keep off the meths before breakfast.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF, you seem deluded. Salmond clearly stated he has 5 options on the table of which his chosen one is currency union. He also expects Squeaky or balls to fold when faced with reality.
    Barosso is back pedalling very quickly on his lies.
    What is to turn around , the Scottish Government has a printed plan it is sticking to , the unionists change with the weather and focus group opinions. Idiots like yourself who are not in Scotland and have no vote take their positions from London newspapers.
  • Options

Stop being so silly.

In my understanding of the phrase "... all but predicted the floods" the meaning is that it does not predict the floods - hence the "but" in the sentence - but it very nearly does.

Which if you'd bother to read the extract from the abstract that I posted in the thread, or the abstract itself, or Monbiot's article, or understood basic grammar, you might have understood.

Your blind insistence on disagreeing with Monbiot for ideological reasons is clouding your judgement.
    Oh Lordy. What do you think are my 'ideological' reasons for disagreeing with Monbiot? Go on, I could do with a laugh.

I do understand basic grammar thanks, and I understand what it means when someone uses 'all but'.

It's you who is trying to big up your opinion, even when there is no basis behind it. So let's take your modified sentence. 'But it very nearly does' 'predict the floods'. How nearly? A little? A lot? And which floods? You've already said it isn't the ones on the Levels.

So we have a paper 'very nearly' (but not actually) predicting floods that have occurred (in the Levels) for two previous years, or in various parts of the country most years.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    Given the projections dropped from JackW's McArse That Lays the Golden Haggis, it's time to look at the 'Yes' percentage market.

Ladbrokes' inimitable Shadsy, who is no fool, sets the line at 41%, offering 5/6 on both over and under that figure. So, is there value on the Under 41% market?

Maybe, but I think there's a better option: Ladbrokes' 4/1 on 35% to 40%. Not only is that in Jack's range, it also looks very good value if you look at the polling and also at Shadsy's 41% line: it's hard to see how it can both be true that there's a 50% chance of the Yes side getting less than 41% and that there is only a 20% chance of them getting 35% to 40%; if the centre of the Bell curve is indeed at 41%, then I'd expect most of the probability on the lower side of the band to be in the 35% to 41% range.

Alternatively, it might be the case that Jack is more right than Shadsy on the central projection, it which case it's an even better bet.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

You seem to have lost of your senses and joined the other stooges on here. Name one lie from Alex Salmond. He has said he favours a currency union and believes Westminster will to when faced with reality , where is the lie in that perchance.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Pulpstar said:

Financier said:

@OblitusSumMe

May I inquire if you have lived on either of the two Somerset levels?

I have, as my parents owned a dairy farm on the North Somerset Levels - the one based around the River Yeo.

Hello Tim ?
    That is the biggest joke of the day.
  • Options
    Intresting on the Mayoral race for London - The LAY prices are often a decent guide as to who the runners and riders are right now:

Only 3 with cash wanting to back them below 20-1 Khan, Jowell and Coe.

I can honestly see Coe going for it for the Conservatives, the IAAF top job will be the one to watch - if he doesn't go for it I think it is a strong pointer he will run for the Conservatives for the Mayor. A popular figure with the legacy of a very good Olympics held crucially in London behind him I also think he has the best chance of defeating Labour there. I'm on him at 16-1 btw.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Carnyx said:

You can edit it however you want, when Alex Salmond says it's a "diktat" to Scotland when the UK government won't do what he wants it to do, he's damned with his own words. As he is when he reacts to anyone outside of his country talking about economics as flying up from England and being ignorant of Scottishness.

Thank you. That is actually very interesting, that you should put it that way. To me, the flat denial of a currency union is indeed a denial a priori, without proper negotiation or public debate, of an element of public apparatus with associated assets, which the Scots own just as much as those in the rest of the UK, with radical implications for whatever settlement is reached. That is a diktat by any standards and needs to be challenged and explored. Moreover, it simply would not occur to me to say 'Oh, Mr Salmond will be upset that Mr Osborne is not letting him do what he wants'. It's not about what he wants, as far as we are concerned. That you or your source should see it differently isi nteresting, and perhaps relates to my point about the media portrayal. Might I ask, what sources did you use, and did you read/hear his entire speech unedited?

And for Mr Osborne to come up and talk at us, and then fly back again, without proper discussion, is undoubtedly not tactful in view of the way in which Scottish politics has developed, and in the way in which the locals might react, as has been discussed by others including Mr Easterross.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2014
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Whisky? A large proportion of the distilleries are foreign owned. Ditto the oil exploration and production businesses. Unless Eck is planning on nationalising them, the profits will keep flowing out of the promised land regardless.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

For thickos like yourself it means we currently use the pound and we will continue to use it as long as we like, and we own 10% of all those in circulation.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Whilst I respect JackW's perspicacity (and that's not easy to spell at this time of day) I think he is being very optimistic for the "no" vote.

I think it will be a lot closer. If I had to guess at the moment I would say 56:44 no. I also think he is a little optimistic in turnout, especially with 16 year olds on the register.

The yes campaign has been embarrassing but there is a campaign and there is a GOTV operation dedicated to the cause. The no campaign to me seems only to exist in TV studios and it is far from clear that Labour will be in a position to use their GOTV operation to help. The Labour vote will be too fragmented for that.

So despite the absurdities I think this will get closer. And there is still the risk of a black swan event shaking everything up and making the result less predictable.

This is not over.
  • Options

Given the projections dropped from JackW's McArse That Lays the Golden Haggis, it's time to look at the 'Yes' percentage market.

Ladbrokes' inimitable Shadsy, who is no fool, sets the line at 41%, offering 5/6 on both over and under that figure. So, is there value on the Under 41% market?

Maybe, but I think there's a better option: Ladbrokes' 4/1 on 35% to 40%. Not only is that in Jack's range, it also looks very good value if you look at the polling and also at Shadsy's 41% line: it's hard to see how it can both be true that there's a 50% chance of the Yes side getting less than 41% and that there is only a 20% chance of them getting 35% to 40%; if the centre of the Bell curve is indeed at 41%, then I'd expect most of the probability on the lower side of the band to be in the 35% to 41% range.

Alternatively, it might be the case that Jack is more right than Shadsy on the central projection, it which case it's an even better bet.

I think you have had your head up Jack's predictor
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

For thickos like yourself it means we currently use the pound and we will continue to use it as long as we like, and we own 10% of all those in circulation.
    Priceless.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2014
    For those who have read the judgment of the Court of Appeal, it will be noted that the appeal turned on the interpretation of s. 30 of the Crime (Sentences) Act 1997. The Court essentially made clear, quite rightly, that the Strasbourg Court's construction of that provision had been seriously erroneous. How any one can think that a court which simply failed to grasp what the law of England and Wales was (when it was perfectly clear and had been stated by the previous but one Lord Chief in Bieber) ought to have any jurisdiction over this country I fail to understand. The Strasbourg Court used an executive policy to construe primary legislation, contrary to every principle of English public law. The court is a disgrace.
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Then they should keep off the meths before breakfast.

Did you see my offer to test your ARSE's accuracy
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

TGOHF said:

We just don't know whether it's been good or bad for Yes until we have seen some polling!

That's right. I think the next Indyref poll might be genuinely interesting, and I wouldn't like to predict it.

Wildly off-topic - did people know that the Conservative-led ECR welcomed Erdogan's AK party in Turkey as a member a few months ago? Erdogan has had good moments and arguably is still an improvement on the military front-men who preceded him, but his government is quite controversial and increasingly emphasising its Islamic roots. The ECR need to spread out to more countries from their UK base is perhaps trumping natural caution - they do have members scattered around now (e.g. one Dutchman) including the dodgy Baltic members who tim used to go on about and quite a few right-wing Poles and Czechs, but it's still roughly half a British Tory thing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Whilst I respect JackW's perspicacity (and that's not easy to spell at this time of day) I think he is being very optimistic for the "no" vote.

I think it will be a lot closer. If I had to guess at the moment I would say 56:44 no. I also think he is a little optimistic in turnout, especially with 16 year olds on the register.

The yes campaign has been embarrassing but there is a campaign and there is a GOTV operation dedicated to the cause. The no campaign to me seems only to exist in TV studios and it is far from clear that Labour will be in a position to use their GOTV operation to help. The Labour vote will be too fragmented for that.

So despite the absurdities I think this will get closer. And there is still the risk of a black swan event shaking everything up and making the result less predictable.

This is not over.

With respect I think you fear a YES vote, and like someone who has backed the favourite a mile out in front you are worried about a fall at the last. Yes could win but it is a mile behind.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop - Please accept my apology for the rudeness of my responses to you this morning.

I think this is less a matter of having risen from the wrong side of the bed this morning, and more that doing so by any exit was a grave mistake.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

For those who have read the judgment of the Court of Appeal, it will be noted that the appeal turned on the interpretation of s. 30 of the Crime (Sentences) Act 1997. The Court essentially made clear, quite rightly, that the Strasbourg Court's construction of that provision had been seriously erroneous. How any one can think that a court which simply failed to grasp what the law of England and Wales was (when it was perfectly clear and had been stated by the previous but one Lord Chief in Bieber) ought to have any jurisdiction over this country I fail to understand. The Strasbourg Court used an executive policy to construe primary legislation, contrary to every principle of English public law. The court is a disgrace.

I completely agree. The quality of the judgments by the ECtHR is the worst I have read. Decisions of the ECJ are a paragon of clarity and reasoning by comparison. It brings the Court and the Convention itself into disrepute.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Whisky? A large proportion of the distilleries are foreign owned. Ditto the oil exploration and production businesses. Unless Eck is planning on nationalising them, the profits will keep flowing out of the promised land regardless.
    Grants is still Scottish with 10% of the market..
  • Options
    Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

You're quite entitled to have your share of UK currency reserves after the split, as well as a share of the Bank's assets. What you're not entitled to is for the UK Government to consider your interests when setting monetary policy, or for the UK Government to act as a lender of last resort for your economy. In the same way, you don't get a share of the Treasury's decisions, or a share of the Defence department's decisions. That's what separation means: removing yourself from UK institutions.
    who wants a share of the morons at defence. If we have 10% of the currency reserves and we own 10% of the Treasury ( BofE ) then I would suspect we would get some say in the matter. We would need to check rumpUK budgets to ensure they did not drag us down with their profligate borrowing habits.
This discussion has been closed.