Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’re a lurker and have a Desire to delurk, why not delurk tonight. You’ll find posting on PB, The Sweetest Thing, I’m hoping that at least One lurker will delurk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    first
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited February 2014
    Link 2 has some important betting implications

One seasoned campaign professional with knowledge of the resources being allocated to key seats has indicated to Uncut that the high command now views majorities of over 2,400 in the south as increasingly beyond Labour’s reach.

Out of the 43 key seats in London, the south east, the south west and eastern regions, 28 have a majority of over 2,400 which would mean Labour is effectively concentrating on 15 seats.

Expectations are higher in the 63 seats in the north, north west, east midlands, west midlands, Wales and Scotland. But even here there are limits, with the source suggesting that based on current canvass returns and the performance of the incumbent MPs, majorities of over 5,000 will be extremely difficult to overturn.

There are 13 seats in these regions which have majorities of over 5,000, which when combined with the southern seats that are being de-prioritised sums to a total of 41 key seats where Labour is ramping down resources because it does not expect to win.

This gives an effective key seat total of 65 rather than 106 .
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 1h

UKIP on course to overtake the Lib Dems as country's third biggest political party: http://bit.ly/1faYTG1
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Let the shrieking begin anew!

YouGov due out tonight? ;)
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    TSE, I just wanted to say that these political summaries of the day's news are excellent. I wish all my news could come like this. If I could suggest one further recommendation, it would be great to include news from other major countries we can bet on, so that we are more familiar with the political climate in France, Germany, Brazil, Japan etc. I can suggest English-language sites for some of these if it would be easy to add them to the scan.
  • On the London housing story, I'm not sure it's a bad idea, although it may not work.

The big problem we have here is buy to leave - essentially people buy up blocks and leave them empty - it's just a great way to make money because the market is rocketing. Few of my team are wealthy enough to get a look in, despite earning more than the national average.

We should start a debate on this - whether or not Miliband's proposal is viable.
  • isam said:

UKIP on course to overtake the Lib Dems as country's third biggest political party: http://bit.ly/1faYTG1

Hi Isam - I don't have a subscription. Is it a poll?
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Point number 7 @TheScreamingEagles,do we know when the next poll is out for yes/no on Scotland independence is ?

isam said:

It's a big picture of Farage. What more do you need?

isam said:

I don't either! Just thought it could be significant that The Sun are bigging up UKIP.. I think its 50/50 they endorse them next year
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

isam said:

It could just be based on membership trends.

UKIP gained 1,000 new members last month, the LDs gained 1,000 new members last year.

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Gearing works in both directions. When the market turns, for example in a years time with an incoming Milliband govt promising higher income taxes and a mansion tax, the overseas buyers will evaporate like the morning mist and the market will go into freefall.

On the London housing story, I'm not sure it's a bad idea, although it may not work.

The big problem we have here is buy to leave - essentially people buy up blocks and leave them empty - it's just a great way to make money because the market is rocketing. Few of my team are wealthy enough to get a look in, despite earning more than the national average.

We should start a debate on this - whether or not Miliband's proposal is viable.

The Agenda ‏@agendaitv 1h

Our panel tonight - @dannyalexander, @TheFemaleGreer, Amanda Platell and Clive Anderson. Join us at 10:35pm on ITV. pic.twitter.com/9a4il2WNJc
    edited February 2014

Point number 7 @TheScreamingEagles,do we know when the next poll is out for yes/no on Scotland independence is ?

TNS-BMRB said mid-Feb which is due but the fieldwork could predate Osborne's big day out. There might also be an Ipsos-Mori which may or may not be internal. The info comes from an extremely reliable source on scottish politics and other matters. :)
  • Mick_Pork said:

isam said:

It's a big picture of Farage. What more do you need?
    An even bigger one?
  • IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    TSE

Labour uncut have literally made that up. It is amazing how a website can have such suicidal tendencies. Pretty much everyone in the Labour party knows that is untrue and undermines the entire authority of the site.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Re 9 and 10,

http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20140217/54401265152/ce-barroso-no-queria-interferir-proceso-democratico-marcha-escocia-catalunya.html#.UwJNHpRMwvg.twitter

Courtesy Google translator, 'The EC says now that Barroso "did not want to interfere in the democratic process underway". Brussels clarifies the words of its leader on Catalonia and Scotland and admits that Kosovo is not "illustrative" "a perfect analogy" but only one case'
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    From link #4:

"I expect that Ukip will comfortably outpoll the Liberal Democrats at the European Elections in May."

And they say journos won't go out on a limb and make bold claims anymore...
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Miliband's latest brainwave may be his best one yet. I can't wait to find out how you prevent properties from being marketed overseas, I'm all ears Ed, go on gimme a laugh.
  • IOS said:

TSE

Labour uncut have literally made that up. It is amazing how a website can have such suicidal tendencies. Pretty much everyone in the Labour party knows that is untrue and undermines the entire authority of the site.

I often find that to be the case with that particular site - when you look into its claims, many appear to be entirely erroneous.
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    IOS said:

TSE

Worried about being moved from St. Austell to Bootle, IOS?

• isam said:

It's about crossover, UKIP have 34k members and The Yellow Peril have 43k members, they think UKIP will overtake Lib Dems by the year end on current trends.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20140217/54401265152/ce-barroso-no-queria-interferir-proceso-democratico-marcha-escocia-catalunya.html#.UwJNHpRMwvg.twitter

Courtesy Google translator, 'The EC says now that Barroso "did not want to interfere in the democratic process underway". Brussels clarifies the words of its leader on Catalonia and Scotland and admits that Kosovo is not "illustrative" "a perfect analogy" but only one case'

What do you expect diplomats to say - fk Scotland ? let's just say that rather than the rollover Salmond promised, he has an uphill task on his hands.
  • Socrates said:

TSE, I just wanted to say that these political summaries of the day's news are excellent. I wish all my news could come like this. If I could suggest one further recommendation, it would be great to include news from other major countries we can bet on, so that we are more familiar with the political climate in France, Germany, Brazil, Japan etc. I can suggest English-language sites for some of these if it would be easy to add them to the scan.

I'll try and incorporate that for future nighthawks.

There'll be no nighthawks tomorrow night, I'm at the Citeh v Barcelona match
  • Students of political history may like to note that Sweden's venerable Centre Party appears to be drawing its last breaths. As recently as 1982 it supplied the country's prime minister. The latest poll puts it on 2.8%, and there is a 4% threshold to get back into the Riksdag in September's GE.

Note: they are a sister party of the Lib Dems in the European Parliament. Parallel fates?
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Your translation is wrong. "Kosovo is not a perfect analogy but merely an illustrative case" is what was said.

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Your translation is wrong. "Kosovo is not a perfect analogy but merely an illustrative case" is what was said.

Oh, the irony of a poster who often tells straight lies picking on another poster for an imperfect translation.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Thanks a lot TSE.

I have to say that I think Alex Salmond has made a major mistake today. The clips being shown on the news of Alex Salmond demanding a resolute "Scottish response" of the Scots being able to do whatever they want comes across as chippy nationalism and is just untenable. Everyone knows that it will require two to tango, and he can't base Scottish independence off calling George Osborne & Ed Balls' bluff. That's particularly the case when the English & Welsh public are behind them.

It would have been far more sensible had he reacted today by saying "I think it's an enormous shame that the British Chancellor is determined to be so obstructive. As an independent nation, we will do our best to seek a co-operative relationship with our neighbours, and I hope that the Tories and Labour would come round. If that's not possible, however, we will seek to have a Scottish pound that is fixed to the British pound for a transitory period, before setting our own course. This would follow Ireland's previously successful path." He would have looked like the adult in the room, but now he's blown it.
    Socrates said:

Thanks a lot TSE.

I have to say that I think Alex Salmond has made a major mistake today. The clips being shown on the news of Alex Salmond demanding a resolute "Scottish response" of the Scots being able to do whatever they want comes across as chippy nationalism and is just untenable. Everyone knows that it will require two to tango, and he can't base Scottish independence off calling George Osborne & Ed Balls' bluff. That's particularly the case when the English & Welsh public are behind them.

It would have been far more sensible had he reacted today by saying "I think it's an enormous shame that the British Chancellor is determined to be so obstructive. As an independent nation, we will do our best to seek a co-operative relationship with our neighbours, and I hope that the Tories and Labour would come round. If that's not possible, however, we will seek to have a Scottish pound that is fixed to the British pound for a transitory period, before setting our own course. This would follow Ireland's previously successful path." He would have looked like the adult in the room, but now he's blown it.

I don't think today was Salmond's mistake, the whole campaign has been smoke and mirrors. It reminds me of the AV campaign where they rejected natural allies. If Salmond wanted devo max rather than alienate everyone SOTB he could have found allies in those who think the UK is over centralised. Instead his posturing has left him friendless.
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

What do you expect diplomats to say - fk Scotland ? let's just say that rather than the rollover Salmond promised, he has an uphill task on his hands.
    Ho ho. It was Osborne who promised the rollover last year ("in the bag"). How's that working out?

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Ho ho. It was Osborne who promised the rollover last year ("in the bag"). How's that working out?
    Yeah let's talk about Osborne anything but Salmond's misjudgements.
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Oh, the irony of a poster who often tells straight lies picking on another poster for an imperfect translation.
    Correcting errors is "picking on" and "bullying" in your pathetic expat NAThood.

• Socrates said:

Thanks a lot TSE.

I don't think today was Salmond's mistake, the whole campaign has been smoke and mirrors. It reminds me of the AV campaign where they rejected natural allies. If Salmond wanted devo max rather than alienate everyone SOTB he could have found allies in those who think the UK is over centralised. Instead his posturing has left him friendless.
    We've yet to see how the Devo Maxxers will break. They are more numerous than both Status Quoers and Sovereigntists, and are thus the decisive group of voters.

The No side are showing zero interest in trying to attract their support. Long may that last.
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Correcting errors is "picking on" and "bullying" in your pathetic expat NAThood.

Rather a Scot Nat than a Brit Nat.
  • Re Item 15. It is just a shame for the AGW crowd that one of the senior climate advisors at the Met Office has just said that Global Warming had nothing to do with the current floods.
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Salmond is an asset to Yes.

Osborne is a liability to No.

Of course we are going to talk about Osborne. Lots. And then lots more. And then lots, lots more again. With a cherry on the top.

Socrates said:

Thanks a lot TSE.

We've yet to see how the Devo Maxxers will break. They are more numerous than both Status Quoers and Sovereigntists, and are thus the decisive group of voters.

The No side are showing zero interest in trying to attract their support. Long may that last.
    Really ? It strikes me No are approaching it the right way kill off Indy and then sort out what needs to be done on a firm platform.

But by then Salmond will remain friendless. The very people he needs to help him get devo max are the ones he spends his time demonising.The man has no clue as well as no plan.
  • Re Item 15. It is just a shame for the AGW crowd that one of the senior climate advisors at the Met Office has just said that Global Warming had nothing to do with the current floods.

Of course it isn't, at least one of them is being honest.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Students of political history may like to note that Sweden's venerable Centre Party appears to be drawing its last breaths. As recently as 1982 it supplied the country's prime minister. The latest poll puts it on 2.8%, and there is a 4% threshold to get back into the Riksdag in September's GE.

Note: they are a sister party of the Lib Dems in the European Parliament. Parallel fates?

There's actually a worldwide trend of centrist political parties being in rapid retreat. Probably because of the times we're in. Most people would say they truthfully don't know what needs to be done to sort out the massive problems in the world today, but one thing virtually everyone agrees on is that things are terrible as they are and SOMETHING has to change, even if people can't agree on what the solution is. So any politician who just advocates wishy-washy centrism will just sound to most people like they're promising more or less a continuation of the status quo, which virtually nobody wants.

We see that in British politics: much as those in the hilariously out-of-touch Westminster punditocracy vacuum parrot "elections are won in the centre ground" to eachother, we constantly see that Labour's poll ratings have their biggest jumps when they do something radically leftwing, and the same to some extent for when the Conservatives do or say something radically rightwing (on immigration/Europe/benefits). Because of that, I actually think the Lib Dems would be struggling right now even if they weren't in coalition (assuming they'd be sticking to the Cleggite FDP-style bland centrism). Centrism politics is for when times are good, when people feel things are going pretty well as they are and don't want something to massively rock the boat and upset things.
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Since their seems to be some argument about the direct translation into English of the article, I have rendered it in Klingon instead so that all geeks can understand it.

"jatlh ec DaH 'e' "nIS qaStaHvIS democratic mIw underway wej DaneH barroso". chuH DevwI' catalonia 'ej scotland mu' brussels 'ej 'e' kosovo 'oHbe' "illustrative" "pup analogy" yIyoH 'ach wa' neH case"

Courtesy of Bing. :-)

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Rather a Scot Nat than a Brit Nat.
    My country right or wrong!
    My mother drunk or sober!

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Of course we are going to talk about Osborne. Lots. And then lots more. And then lots, lots more again. With a cherry on the top.
    I mean really ? Salmond who hasn't called a single major issue in the Indy campaign correctly is an asset ? A man who has faced no credible opposition to date is suddenly finding he's a second rater when it moves up a league.

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Stop pointing out the obvious to the far right headbangers. They'll only start shrieking again.

:)
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

That is correct.

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

I mean really ? Salmond who hasn't called a single major issue in the Indy campaign correctly is an asset ? A man who has faced no credible opposition to date is suddenly finding he's a second rater when it moves up a league.
    Well, if you're up against 3rd raters...unless you've changed your view of our ruling classes?
  • smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited February 2014
    Regarding the UK's EU Commissioners job. Has anyone yet suggested the current President of the ECR and Tory MEP Martin Callanan? The thing is whilst he is a Tory MEP, he is their only MEP in the North East and given the shift of votes since 2009 his seat may be in danger (according to Dan Hannan anyway).

Now considering his position currently, should he lose his seat he would seem to be a good fit for a Commissioner's role having been an MEP since 1999 and a leader of an EU Parliament Grouping for three years.
  • Britain's two leading business organisations have dealt a blow to Alex Salmond in his fightback against the rejection by Britain's three main political parties of a currency union with an independent Scotland.

The leaders of the Confederation of British Industry and the Institute of Directors both warned that a currency union would be "unstable" as David Cameron said that the Scottish first minister was "now a man without a plan".

In a direct challenge to the Scottish first minister, Salmond was told that his warnings of increased transaction charges for businesses on both sides of the border were outweighed by the disadvantages of creating a currency union outside a full political union.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/17/business-leaders-alex-salmond-currency-union
  • Danny565 said:

Students of political history may like to note that Sweden's venerable Centre Party appears to be drawing its last breaths. As recently as 1982 it supplied the country's prime minister. The latest poll puts it on 2.8%, and there is a 4% threshold to get back into the Riksdag in September's GE.

There's actually a worldwide trend of centrist political parties being in rapid retreat. Probably because of the times we're in. Most people would say they truthfully don't know what needs to be done to sort out the massive problems in the world today, but one thing virtually everyone agrees on is that things are terrible as they are and SOMETHING has to change, even if people can't agree on what the solution is. So any politician who just advocates wishy-washy centrism will just sound to most people like they're promising more or less a continuation of the status quo, which virtually nobody wants.

We see that in British politics: much as those in the hilariously out-of-touch Westminster punditocracy vacuum parrot "elections are won in the centre ground" to eachother, we constantly see that Labour's poll ratings have their biggest jumps when they do something radically leftwing, and the same to some extent for when the Conservatives do or say something radically rightwing (on immigration/Europe/benefits). Because of that, I actually think the Lib Dems would be struggling right now even if they weren't in coalition (assuming they'd be sticking to the Cleggite FDP-style bland centrism). Centrism politics is for when times are good, when people feel things are going pretty well as they are and don't want something to massively rock the boat and upset things.
    Agreed. Which makes it all the more bizarre that Johan Lamont is marching her party rightwards and leaving the SNP as the sole standard bearers of enlightened social democracy. But it explains the latest odds in the Holyrood Most Seats market. And we're only mid-term.
  • Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Stop pointing out the obvious to the far right headbangers. They'll only start shrieking again.

In the past, Mike Smithson has said describing posters as "Far Right" is unacceptable.

Please desist.

Also, you haven't replied to the post this morning.

Please confirm you understand both instructions

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/222555/#Comment_222555
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Stuart_Dickson

'Of course we are going to talk about Osborne'

You've lost the currency union & EU membership but still got the queen as head of state plus the BBC,so not all bad news.

But can understand why you want to blame Osborne.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

11 hours 11 minutes 11 seconds
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited February 2014
    More Good News in Small Doses

Continuing this theme from the last thread, this post refers to the Commercial Banking Division of Lloyds Banking Group teaming up with Markit to create an monthly index of "business activity" for each region of the UK. Unlike the BoS Jobs Survey, the Lloyds report was published a week ago.

The Lloyds report confirms the trend we have seen from other indices published in the first couple of months this year. Firstly that growth rates and index levels have fallen slightly from their peaks in the second half of last year but, second, that they remain at levels consistent with sustained growth.

What makes the Lloyds survey interesting is the regional variation below the index for the UK as a whole, which read 59.1 in January down from 60.0 in December 2013. What the report focuses on is regional variations in business activity. And picking up from Carlotta's comment on the previous thread, what the report shows is truly "contrarian".

On a 'country' level, Scotland recorded a 3 month high (58.2) and Northern Ireland a 118 month high (60.4). Wales was slightly down on December with (58.2 from 58.4).

Within England, London saw a major drop to a seven month low (57.0 from 60.3), with only the North East (56.8 from 60.4) and East Midlands (56.2 from 59.4) registering lower. The regions moving up were the South West (62.8 from 62.4) and the South East (61.5 from 60.1). The West Midlands came next, slightly down on December (60.9 from 61.7). In the middle were the East (59.9 up from 59.7), North West (58.9 down from 59.1) and Yorkshire (57.6 up from 55.8).

Rather than yellow boxes this time I can link to some good graphics prepared by Markit. First a heat map showing the above figures and trends: business activity seems to be following the path of the Atlantic Storms!

Heatmap: http://bit.ly/1oJ8IPt

The seoond image is a Markit chart summarising the monthly movements and placing them in context.

Chart: http://bit.ly/1kOOd3n

The good news in these figures is that the economic upturn of last year, insofar as it can be measured by 'business activity', seems finally to be spreading out to the regions.

The main concern must be the size of fall off in London's reading. An index of 57.0 remains good but, given the weight of London in the UK total, it would be disappointing (and worrying) to see a similar sized fall of 3 points in next month's figures.

A secondary concern will be the relative poor performance in the East Midlands when compared to its twin to the West. This is not the first set of stats where the East Midlands trail. Good news perhaps for Labour PPCs seeking to regain their seats but more worrying for the rest of us.
  • Me_Me_ Posts: 66
    Hi everyone.

As some of the old ones here know, I'm from Brazil and live in Rio but I'm going to spend a week in London in June (yes, during the World Cup) and it would be nice to meet some of you.

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Well, if you're up against 3rd raters...unless you've changed your view of our ruling classes?
    Yeah divvie you haven't grasped the concept of moving up a league.
  • Britain's two leading business organisations have dealt a blow to Alex Salmond in his fightback against the rejection by Britain's three main political parties of a currency union with an independent Scotland.

The leaders of the Confederation of British Industry and the Institute of Directors both warned that a currency union would be "unstable" as David Cameron said that the Scottish first minister was "now a man without a plan".

In a direct challenge to the Scottish first minister, Salmond was told that his warnings of increased transaction charges for businesses on both sides of the border were outweighed by the disadvantages of creating a currency union outside a full political union.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/feb/17/business-leaders-alex-salmond-currency-union

Yes, we all know that the CBI and IoD are greatly respected voices of authority among Scottish swing voters. Good grief. You lot really haven't got the faintest clue about the task ahead of you.
    edited February 2014

Regarding the UK's EU Commissioners job. Has anyone yet suggested the current President of the ECR and Tory MEP Martin Callanan? The thing is whilst he is a Tory MEP, he is their only MEP in the North East and given the shift of votes since 2009 his seat may be in danger (according to Dan Hannan anyway).

Now considering his position currently, should he lose his seat he would seem to be a good fit for a Commissioner's role having been an MEP since 1999 and a leader of an EU Parliament Grouping for three years.

Ladbrokes EU commisioners market is down for some reason but paddypower have.

Mitchell 11/4

Lansley 3/1

Cridland 5/1

Patterson 11/2

Cridland is of course the Director General of the CBI so he'll have to find some way to curry more favour with Cammie. But how? LOL

• Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics now

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour seven points ahead: CON 33%, LAB 40%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 18 secs
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour seven points ahead: CON 33%, LAB 40%, LD 9%, UKIP 11%

• john_zims said:

@Stuart_Dickson

You've lost the currency union & EU membership but still got the queen as head of state plus the BBC,so not all bad news.

We'll see who has lost and won what on 19 September. But feel free to count your chickens.
  • Me_ said:

Hi everyone.

As some of the old ones here know, I'm from Brazil and live in Rio but I'm going to spend a week in London in June (yes, during the World Cup) and it would be nice to meet some of you.

Hello you, blast from the past!
  • john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @CarlottaVance

'The leaders of the Confederation of British Industry and the Institute of Directors both warned that a currency union would be "unstable" '

They might know slightly more about what's in the best interests of RUK business than lectures from Salmond.

Mick_Pork said:

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

In the past, Mike Smithson has said describing posters as "Far Right" is unacceptable.
    Has he? If you insist. I'll add it to all the other things you find offensive and stop using it.

Also, you haven't replied to the post this morning.

I never saw it because I'm not on here 24/7. Seems a trifle unclear considering the last time twits was mentioned it was in relation to not calling specific posters that not the general use of it.

If you want to ban the word "twits" for everyone then go right ahead. I can easily do without it.

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

That is correct.

I did say it was Google not me - but given that many thanks for the amended translation to both of you.

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Salmond's exposure to top level politics reminds me of the Gus Caesar tragi-comedy immortalised in "Fever Pitch".

john_zims said:

@Stuart_Dickson

We'll see who has lost and won what on 19 September. But feel free to count your chickens.
    Indeed and we'll also have to look out for all the cowardly bet welchers who TUD exposed.

• anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

And no by-election required.

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

You think Barroso, Osborne, Cameron and Balls are Premier League? Strangely the electorate in the UK, and more relevantly Scotland, disagree with you.

• Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

The "no credible opposition" thing is your problem, not ours.
    Rather curious ... apparently encouraging tourism is SNP propaganda, especially when presented by Sir Chris Hoy. .

http://archive.is/dxT1c

Anyway, off to bed now.

• Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    @Pork, your point is as wrong as ever. Osborne is in this case just the appropriate mouthpiece for the Tories just as Balls and Alexander are for the other two lots. It isn't interesting or surprising that the sort of Scots who don't like him, don't like him, and in any case odious though he is, they would dislike any English Tory CotE almost if not quite as much.

Salmond on the other hand would be regarded as one of the great comic creations of all time if he was a character in a novel. Hence the interest in the debate from south of the border.

Your thinking on all aspects of this debate is crippled by your fatal inability to understand the concept of asymmetry.

edited February 2014
    Ishmael_X said:

Salmond Cameron on the other hand would be regarded as one of the great comic creations of all time if he was a character in a novel.

Fixed that for you.
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics Jan 30

David Cameron left bruised and humiliated after being forced to raise the white flag to Tory immigration rebels: http://bit.ly/1loqGaO
    Foptastic. :)

Flooding crisis, rows within his party and the burden of steering the world’s sixth-largest economy seem to have taken their toll

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10645060/Snap-of-David-Cameron-shows-a-grey-man-is-back-at-No-10.html
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @ALP

Fear not for the East Midlands, we are merely a little distracted by the performance of the magnificent Leicester City, and not too disastrous performances by the trees and sheep.

It is good news indeed that the economic revival is spreading across the land!
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014
    Well, of course, rabid right-wing rags like the New Statesman (number 8), fanatically loyal to the Tories as they are, would naturally spin the party line and claim that "Salmond didn't even come close to rebutting Osborne's currency threat".

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

You think Barroso, Osborne, Cameron and Balls are Premier League? Strangely the electorate in the UK, and more relevantly Scotland, disagree with you.

Oh they;re a bunch of gits but currently they're outmanoeuvring Salmond.

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Maybe the incompetent Cameroonian spinners think they are "near perfect" now. They do seem stupid enough to not even know that unionist parties oppose Independence after all.

• EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    A word of caution to my fellow Scottish unionists and non-Scots, never try and guess the psyche of the Scot. Remember in 2010 whereas England and Wales recognised the might of Gordon Brown by removing nearly 100 Labour MPs, in Scotland every Labour MP held on.

A great many across the UK will see today as a very bad day for Eck. In Scotland there will be a great many who believe he was the "little man" standing up against the English establishment for his country. The more Eck is seen as having his back to the wall, the more many Scots will be determined to support him. That is the greatest worry for the Better Together side.

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Not really, Scots carry their weight in my Paliament.

• Hugh said:

Lovely little article on the Big Politics of the floods.

When your house is under water, who do you want? An oil industry mouthpiece climate science denier? The Nudge Unit? Or someone who actually knows their stuff and can help.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-floods-may-have-finally-shocked-rightwingers-into-taking-climate-change-seriously-9132315.html

I hadn't realised that one of the senior Met office advisors, a Professor of Climate systems who was also one of the lead authors for the IPCC, was an Oil Industry mouthpiece.

And all the time the evidence grows that the main problem with flooding was poor planning and poor maintenance of our flood defences and drainage systems.

Well, of course, rabid right-wing rags like the New Statesman (number 8), fanatically loyal to the Tories as they are, would naturally spin the party line and claim that "Salmond didn't even come close to rebutting Osborne's currency threat".

But they are indeed loyal to Labour, and on this topic loyal also to the Tories - look what Mr Balls did last week.

• EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Ben Bradshaw @BenPBradshaw
    Could I assure family & friends in Scotland there is no way my constituents would want or accept a £ currency union in event of independence
  • Hugh said:

When your house is under water, who do you want? An oil industry mouthpiece climate science denier? The Nudge Unit? Or someone who actually knows their stuff and can help.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-floods-may-have-finally-shocked-rightwingers-into-taking-climate-change-seriously-9132315.html

"Fundamentalist Denier"

She's barmy, isn't she?

• Oh they;re a bunch of gits but currently they're outmanoeuvring Salmond.

As a matter of interest, is there any time in Salmond's long career of being outmanoeuvred and failing in his political aims that you think he did alright? Just to test your objectivity credentials, like.

Hugh said:

"Fundamentalist Denier"

She's barmy, isn't she?

Yasmin Alibhai Brown = lol

• Carnyx said:

But they are indeed loyal to Labour, and on this topic loyal also to the Tories - look what Mr Balls did last week.

Indeed so.

Or, to put it in plain English, the entire UK political establishment, other than the SNP, agrees with Osborne (which is hardly a surprise since he was stating the obvious). That establishment represents well over 90% of those who might actually come to make the decision.
  • Hugh said:

"Fundamentalist Denier"

She's barmy, isn't she?

I must admit I do love the way that Hugh seems to think she has something to contribute to the debate. It rather reflects his level of understanding of the issues.
    Trying_hard ‏@just_standing2 Feb 16

Cameron and Clegg received £2.6million in 3 months 'from donors to whom they handed peerages' http://bit.ly/1kMmTD4 pic.twitter.com/5guRFCkBpa
    We're all in this together.

LOL

• saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

A word of caution to my fellow Scottish unionists and non-Scots, never try and guess the psyche of the Scot. Remember in 2010 whereas England and Wales recognised the might of Gordon Brown by removing nearly 100 Labour MPs, in Scotland every Labour MP held on.

A great many across the UK will see today as a very bad day for Eck. In Scotland there will be a great many who believe he was the "little man" standing up against the English establishment for his country. The more Eck is seen as having his back to the wall, the more many Scots will be determined to support him. That is the greatest worry for the Better Together side.

Good, until very recently I couldn't really care less if Scotland voted yes or no, but the tone of discussion on here over recent weeks has driven me to want to wave goodbye. The chippiness of some of the more challenged posters is a sight to behold. Please vote out. In the meantime if you could all go and infest a site where the majority of posters have a vote and care, that would be nice.
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2014

A word of caution to my fellow Scottish unionists and non-Scots, never try and guess the psyche of the Scot. .... A great many across the UK will see today as a very bad day for Eck. In Scotland there will be a great many who believe he was the "little man" standing up against the English establishment for his country. The more Eck is seen as having his back to the wall, the more many Scots will be determined to support him. That is the greatest worry for the Better Together side.

I agree. After all these days of the "Westminster says no to the £" strategy from Osborne/Alexander/Balls, I lean to the view that this falls right into Salmond's aim of creating a Scotland vs Westminster debate. Maybe I will be proved wrong. But tonight to me it looks like a strategic blunder by the Unionists. Is Osborne Salmond's useful idiot?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Lies are found out and back peddling begins.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Mick_Pork said:

Let the shrieking begin anew!

YouGov due out tonight? ;)

for a moment thought you were talking about the wailing from the SNP
  • Carnyx said:

Re 9 and 10,

Not really, Scots carry their weight in my Paliament.

No they don't. Never before have so few Scottish MPs held senior posts at
    Westminster. Just look at the Cabinet and the Shadow Cabinet.

Oh they;re a bunch of gits but currently they're outmanoeuvring Salmond.

As a matter of interest, is there any time in Salmond's long career of being outmanoeuvred and failing in his political aims that you think he did alright? Just to test your objectivity credentials, like.

Yes he did well up to 2011, since then it's been downhill. the Indy ref hasn't been a high point. I said at the time imo he'd have been safer going for the vote six months post becoming FM. The surprising thing is just how cavalier he has been on the major issues during the campaign and has committed avoidable errors.
  • Hugh said:

"Fundamentalist Denier"

She's barmy, isn't she?

Good Lord: A Yasmin Alibhai Brown article which doesn't reduce everything to race.

Truly we are at the end of days when immutable certainties are come to an end.
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    In terms of what would actually happen if Scotland voted Yes, I think there's still a question mark over the pound. It's the credible (not in the strict sense) threat that's important, and Salmond has made it worse by tying it to repayment of Scotland's obligations, which as I've said is a strange decision.
    saddened said:

. In the meantime if you could all go and infest a site where the majority of posters have a vote and care, that would be nice.

Bit harsh on all the PB tories who have been shrieking 24/7 for days on this. Nah, it's not really. :)
  • Mick_Pork said:

Maybe the incompetent Cameroonian spinners think they are "near perfect" now. They do seem stupid enough to not even know that unionist parties oppose Independence after all.

Just saw Cameron in his wellies on the news saying 'Salmond's currency union plan is under threat'. Strangely diffident, and some distance from the Osballs' 'definitive' statements. Perhaps the strain of all that manufactured concern and competence is getting to him.
    Christine Milne ‏@senatormilne Nov 15

.@TonyAbbottMHR should heed his colleague David Cameron on typhoon Haiyan and climate change. http://gu.com/p/3ke4a/tf #auspol
    Fire up the PB tory Barmyometer, Cammie's tiny windmill wants a word.

*chortle*
  • saddened said:

The chippiness of some of the more challenged posters is a sight to behold.

Bit harsh on your Unionist brothers and sisters.
    But fair.
This discussion has been closed.