Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thistle do very nicely for Starmer and the Union – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options

carnforth said:

Lab percentage of vote, per twitter:

2005 55.6%
    2010 60.8%
    2015 35.2%
    2017 37.5%
    2019 34.5%
    2023 58.6%

Lab actual vote:

2005 24,054
    2010 28,566
    2015 20,304
    2017 19,101
    2019 18,545
    2023 17,845

Make a nice graph.
    How about the SNP actual vote?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,831
    tlg86 said:

This is depressing:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2023/09/25/cbec9/2

I thought I might be in the minority but I didn't think support for banning smoking would be overwhelming.

Good grief.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,147

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

There’s a concealed warning here for Labour. Which they won’t heed in their justified glee over a triumphant victory

The SNP, inter alia, are a cautionary tale of what happens to a left wing party that gets consumed by identity politics and Wokeness. In the end the voters get sick of it and dump you

I fully expect Labour to follow the SNP’s example when they reach power. They too are drenched in The Woke

You say 'In the end the voters get sick of it and dump you' referring to woke.

After all these years of posting about woke here there are only 2 of you for whom this is a major issue. The rest of us think your obsession is bonkers, I suspect that is true for the rest of the population.

What will probably bring down a Labour government is what brings down all Governments. They get complacent, corruption, cockups, the voters want a change, etc, etc

Woke will be 99 in a list of 100 reasons.

You are obsessed. And that is coming from me who detests wokeness.
    This is a really dumb take when Woke issues have obviously contributed, in a major way, to the problems of the SNP

1. Their obsession with Woke gender woo has turned off a lot of voters and activists and caused bitter infighting (cf Joanna Cherry)

2. Their overall Wokeness means they chose the worse Woke candidate for leader - Yousaf - over the obviously superior but decidedly non woke Forbes

So, yes, woke was a big thing in this election. Its probably the first UK election where that has been the case

There will be more. Starmer js quite Woke and his party is often super Woke. Yet the voters are not. I spy trouble ahead (but only after Starmer romps home with a majority)
    Indeed, by 2026 Starmer will likely have fixed the economy, introduced a workable and affordable plan for long term care, stopped the boats, ended the war on Ukraine on its own terms and brought waiting lists down to one month for all. However his government will collapse because the Darren Jones vegan wing will be at odds with the Thangam Debbinaire vegan wing over whether venison really is vegan or not.

I am baffled why people apart from Leon and myself can't see this.
    Look at America. That’s where we’re headed. Massive culture wars over Wokeness

I really wish this wasn’t the case. But it is. Until AI takes over
    Who, on here, stokes culture wars more than you?

I’ve been out in the Maldives with a bunch of people including a well known owner of multiple UK magazines. We’ve had a laugh - he’s a good guy - but he is clearly a lefty and he gets really wound up by the word Woke. It obviously distresses him. Which makes it a successful pejorative and I shall continue to use it as much as I can.

It is also extremely useful in itself. It really does describe SOMETHING - and we all know it when we see it

Strangely, we don't. Some people see it everywhere, a phantom haunting the minds of obsessional weirdos. Others see it here and there. Others see it not at all. We don't all agree on what woke is, or whether this or that thing qualifies.
    Anyone who is annoyed, hurt, or distressed by the word Woke, is Woke

There. That’s an easy definition for you
    But I'm not annoyed, hurt or distressed by the word Woke. And I am Woke. Try again.
    No. It’s not an exclusive definition. If you are annoyed hurt etc by Woke you are Woke. But there are other Woke people who don’t realise Woke is an insult, because they’re stupid, so they don’t get hurt offended etc. I guess you’re one of them?
    Of course it's not an insult. It is a word created by Woke people to describe the act of being Woke, which they consider to be a good thing. It was subsequently picked up be people opposed to things like equality and racial justice, who consider Woke to be a bad thing, who have tried to make it an insult. Low grade basic reactionaries who get annoyed and hurt by Woke because they're stupid or perhaps feel threatened buy into this shit. I guess you're one of them?
    The thing is do you think equality is ever achievable. That men or women can be completely equal or the races completely equal. Sometimes measures to achieve equality can cause more harm than good.
    "Races" don't exist. People from different "races" are completely equal because there's no substance to how people have been divided into different "races".
    Except that, genetically, there is

There is broad agreement that humanity can be usefully divided into three broad races - African, Asian, European (for want of better terms). They are interestingly different in terms of the admixing of Neanderthal DNA for instance. This stuff is important and useful when looking at human origins

It only gets truly stupid, dangerous and pointless when you try and get granular about “the English race” or “the Celtic race” and so forth
    Humanity can be usefully divided into individuals.

Dividing people into races has a term. It begins with rac- and ends in -ist
    Not really. Leon has a point. There are observable differences in behaviour between say east asians and blacks. Some of it may be cultural but all of it?
    Wow.

People behave as individuals. There are observable differences in behaviour between myself, my wife and both my daughters let alone other individuals or races.

Of course culture is a significant factor in behaviour, as is upbringing, parenting and far more but even within people of the same culture you've got different behaviours.

To divide people into "races" for behaviour is simply racism. Whether its the far left, far right, or anyone in-between doing it.
    Of course you have differences between individuals that is a given. But walk through a black neighbourhood at night and then walk through a chinese neighbourhoid and try and tell me there are no differences in behaviour.
    Wow again.

Not sure where to start with this unabashed racism, but for starters what in your eyes is a "black neighbourhood"? Considering that people of all colours mix and live everywhere and aren't confined to ghettos or racial quarters.

My neighbour is black and his husband is middle eastern. Please tell me what sort of racial behaviour I should expect in your eyes from him and how that should vary from the racial behaviour I should expect from his husband?

What does that make my neighbourhood?

What difference should I expect from a street with a retired black doctor living on it and how would that vary from a street with a retired white or Chinese doctor?
    Please sir, I know the answer to this question.

- the retired Chinese Doctor listens to hip-hop and likes firing personal sidearms at 90 degrees to the traditional hold
    - the retired Black doctor makes awesome Dim Sum

Is that right?
This discussion has been closed.