Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP slumps 4 points with ComRes online while LAB extends l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited February 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP slumps 4 points with ComRes online while LAB extends lead to 9 with Opinium

“Please indicate whether you have a favourable or unfavourable view of each of the following political leaders and parties…” Percentage saying “favourable” (change since last month, or *change since June 2013).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LibDems still trailing UKIP :)
  • Options
    Told you.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2014
    Just wondering what the consensus is on which pollsters we should put more weight on? In the back of mind mind I generally dismiss Opinium, but is that a reasonable thing to do or just a half remembered prejudice?

I'd probably rank them something like this:

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

Is that reasonable/am I missing anyone important?*

* (Survation is neither reasonable nor important)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Just wondering what the consensus is on which pollsters we should put more weight on? In the back of mind mind I generally dismiss Opinium, but is that a reasonable thing to do or just a half remembered prejudice?

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

TNS-BMRB?
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Charles said:

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

Surely you have missed those doyen's of accuracy otherwise known as panelbase

• Options
    annakannak Posts: 14
    FPT: Thanks Neil, I don't know how to reply to a comment. I have been to lazy to post. I have been so badly hit by the cuts that the Irish government are making. I don't know how I will be able to keep going.
    I come on here and read all this David Cameron/posh business and I just have to laugh .
    Maybe ireland should export Dr. James Reilly and Joan Burton to the uk!
    The weather isn't good, Salthill is taking a big hit.
  • Options
    Mike favours which ever one marks UKIP down the most.

UKIP slump four points, probably the most pathetic header I have ever seen on here.

If straw clutching was an Olympic sport Mike would be GB captain.
  • Options
    Back City to beat Barcelona on Tuesday at the very generous odds of 2/1.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited February 2014
    ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

Do they rank above or below Angus Reid?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Sorry to hear how tough things are anna. I'm back for a flying visit next weekend so expect a downturn in the weather then as it always seems to be especially bad when I'm around.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Probably just MOI; though perhaps with yesterday some indication that the kippers have stalled?
  • Options
    Charles said:

ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

I would imagine that would depend on who you ask :)

• Options
    Charles said:

ZenPagan said:

Charles said:

1. ICM
    2. IPSOS-Mori
    3. ComRes
    4. YouGov
    5. Populus
    6. Opinium
    879. Angus Reid

I don't think Angus Reid is still polling in the UK. I've not seen anything from them for a long time.

My ratings are similar to you Charles though I'd distinguish between ComRes phone, which has a track record, and ComRes online which has yet to do a general election.

I quite like Survation and Opinium are moving up on my chart.

• Options
    How do people like this chart format for covering a number of polls?

It prevents data overload.
  • Options

Very good
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    From an ex LD voter: how on earth have they managed to improve their position in any way? Must be MOE.

I HATE Clegg.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Is there any listing of how many councillors the various parties have up for re-election in the May elections?

The press association produced a graphic for the 2013 elections, I'm assuming they cribbed it from somewhere.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/29/article-0-195D148D000005DC-400_634x449.jpg
  • Options

UKIP slump four points, probably the most pathetic header I have ever seen on here.

Nah. UKIP are the biggest mover in tonight's polls. Go back and look at thread headers in the past. There are plenty where the title highlights UKIP gains.

We all know Mike doesn't like UKIP but I reckon you will find there are more thread headers highlighting UKIP increases than there are with UKIP drops. Just because that is what has been happening to the UKIP vote generally.
  • Options

Nah. UKIP are the biggest mover in tonight's polls. Go back and look at thread headers in the past. There are plenty where the title highlights UKIP gains.

We all know Mike doesn't like UKIP but I reckon you will find there are more thread headers highlighting UKIP increases than there are with UKIP drops. Just because that is what has been happening to the UKIP vote generally.
    Fair enough, Mike please accept my apologies.
  • Options

Looks good!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

From an ex LD voter: how on earth have they managed to improve their position in any way? Must be MOE.

I HATE Clegg.

Don't worry, bumping along between 8 and 9% would get a 'satisfactory' rating from an OFSTED inspector.
  • Options

Probably just MOI; though perhaps with yesterday some indication that the kippers have stalled?

is that true? Using the admittedly unscientific method of averaging over the last 10 polls, 'cos it is easy to calculate, they're on something like 12.8% at the moment, the lead over the LDs is 3.4% putting them on 9.4% which is I am sure something Mike doesn't like to contemplate. Even the change of 4% with ComRes may not signify anything: they have varied between 10% and 14% with YouGov over the last 6 polls - just over a week.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Show me the crossover.........Show me the crossover!
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

FPT: Mr. G, I was referring to the stated SNP desire to single out England, Wales and Northern Ireland for tuition fees, in the event of independence. That clearly involves anti-English discrimination.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    OGH-The format above is very impressive
  • Options

Fair enough, Mike please accept my apologies.
    Thanks to both of you. I do try to be even handed.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    the charts are cool

"48% tell ComRes that recent floods have made them more convinced that human-made climate change is happening. Disagree 30%"

ugh

never mind, sensible people can use the pro-cult momentum the telly has generated via the floods by deflecting it into demand for more flood and sea defenses. this will be useful in itself and the cult will hate it because they want punishment not mitigation.
  • Options

Show me the crossover.........Show me the crossover!</blockquote
    PB Tories can't see the humiliation that's staring them in the face.

• Options
    The new format's tidy.
  • Options
    'More convinced' is terrible language. If someone were 99% sceptical and then became 98% sceptical, that's 'more convinced'. Likewise if they were 98% believer then became 99% believer.

It's also worth remarking that the media (broadcast) have generally parroted, without questioning, the line the pro-warmers (as it were) have stated.

For example, Sky's 'science' correspondent stated that we've seen a pattern emerging regarding storms lately (unarguable). But then he asserted this 'must' be due to man-made climate change. No reference was made to very turbulent periods in the past (even in recorded history, which is a very limited part of the planet's time), nor the wild changes in climate we've seen during the existence of mankind. There was also no direct link asserted, let alone proven, between the current remarkable weather and global warming.

It was simply:
    Very bad weather = proof of global warming

It may as well have been:
    Very bad weather = proof the gods are angry

The line about 'this is the sort of weather we'd expect to happen more often due to climate change' is also somewhat disingenuous (I believe someone here posted a link, which I don't have to hand, from around 2004 when the scientists predicted rainfall would become far scarcer). It's reminiscent of the snow line:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100222487/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-we-have-to-trust-our-scientists-because-they-know-lots-of-big-scary-words/

I'm not saying the media should espouse scepticism, merely give an approximately even-handed account instead of repeating one side's view only.

Oh, and whilst I'm rambling, anybody who talks about a scientific consensus or a majority of scientists being on one side needs a slap. Science isn't a popularity contest and it isn't a democracy. If 1 person disagrees and that 1 person is right, he wins and the other 99.9999% can eat their theories. Science is about facts, reasoning, theories and proving things right and wrong.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Mr Dancer. Firstly, neutrality doesn't mean even handedness. You don't go for both sides equally just because two exist.

Secondly, you're mixing science with media interpretation of science. Popularity doesn't mean science is right. But if to take your example 99% of scientists say one side and 1% say the other then media outlets are very reasonable taking the 99% a lot more seriously, so slap yourself.

Thirdly, if you're talking of bad language use, it should be inarguable.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Erdogan strengthens democracy by putting the courts under the justice department's control:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26205515
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

[snip slightly rambling common sense]

Quite right, in terms of language Mr Dancer.

The question is likely to have been More Convinced, Less Convinced, About The Same.

As I don't believe that man-made climate change is happening at all, I can't tick "Less Convinced". Technically I must choose "About The Same" which makes me sound, for want of a better term, wet.
  • Options
    Mr. Corporeal, could be wrong but 'unarguable' I think is correct.

Also, you understood my meaning clearly. The 'more convinced' line is a problem because it's unclear.

The warming scientists got their fourth (I believe) IPCC report wrong, then at the most recent (fifth) declared they were more sure than ever (90% improved to 95%) that they were right. It's deranged. A competent media might point out this glaring absurdity.

Anyway, I am off for supper.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited February 2014
    Thank goodness the worst of the storms is over. There's nothing worst than press and politicians egging each other on in a hand wringing competition.

If we have a warm, dry spell in March all of the current hysteria will quickly abate, LOL!

Funny how we didn't get all of this during the recent run of cold winters. It's like they've been storing it up for the first mild/wet winter that comes along.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited February 2014

Like the Mad Hatter's tea party mouse I awaken to say that I think it's kinda elegant.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Mr Dancer. I agree with your polling point. I believe firmly it's inarguable. As for global warming, I'm not going to go against so many scientists when I have no climatologt training.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

'More convinced' is terrible language. If someone were 99% sceptical and then became 98% sceptical, that's 'more convinced'. Likewise if they were 98% believer then became 99% believer.

It's also worth remarking that the media (broadcast) have generally parroted, without questioning, the line the pro-warmers (as it were) have stated.

For example, Sky's 'science' correspondent stated that we've seen a pattern emerging regarding storms lately (unarguable). But then he asserted this 'must' be due to man-made climate change. No reference was made to very turbulent periods in the past (even in recorded history, which is a very limited part of the planet's time), nor the wild changes in climate we've seen during the existence of mankind. There was also no direct link asserted, let alone proven, between the current remarkable weather and global warming.

It was simply:

The line about 'this is the sort of weather we'd expect to happen more often due to climate change' is also somewhat disingenuous (I believe someone here posted a link, which I don't have to hand, from around 2004 when the scientists predicted rainfall would become far scarcer). It's reminiscent of the snow line:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100222487/when-it-comes-to-climate-change-we-have-to-trust-our-scientists-because-they-know-lots-of-big-scary-words/

I'm not saying the media should espouse scepticism, merely give an approximately even-handed account instead of repeating one side's view only.

Oh, and whilst I'm rambling, anybody who talks about a scientific consensus or a majority of scientists being on one side needs a slap. Science isn't a popularity contest and it isn't a democracy. If 1 person disagrees and that 1 person is right, he wins and the other 99.9999% can eat their theories. Science is about facts, reasoning, theories and proving things right and wrong.

Mr Dancer on the one hand and thousands of scientists on the other. Who do I believe ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It was simply:

Mr Dancer on the one hand and thousands of scientists on the other. Who do I believe ?
    Well I'm a scientist and I'm sceptical. What was the climate like 500 years ago? 1000 years ago?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Mr Dancer. I agree with your polling point. I believe firmly it's inarguable. As for global warming, I'm not going to go against so many scientists when I have no climatologt training.

You may have no climatology training but don't worry about little details like that. The head of the IPCC is, after all, a train builder by profession.

However I'm sure you regard yourself as an honest man and possessed of integrity. So you're doubtless concerned that the pro-AGW lobby have been hiding data and destroying emails and "hiding the decline" to use their own phrase.

Now if all of that funding money and government patronage was deserved then they wouldn't need to do that. And they wouldn't need to persecute non-believers. You don't need to be a scientist to see that AGW doth protest too much.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    The scientific process of progress by self-correction applies to climate change research too.

As with all science it is open to all researchers and there are very competent physical scientists pursuing quite complicated computer models that try to account for many more influences than I have seen mentioned here. No expert (the realization of which is step one of the process) I understand that a single run may take two or three months of run time.

This website is informative:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/geography/people/tamsin-l-edwards/index.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It was simply:

We know the theories of relativity are probably correct because we can use computer models to predict what is going to happen and the real world matches our expectations

We know quantum theory is probably accurate because we can use computer models to predict what is going to happen and the real world matches our expectations

We know AGW theory is probably accurate because we can use computer models to predict what is going to happen and the real world matches our expectations. Oh wait....forgot it doesn't match the models in the least.

• Options

surbiton said:

It was simply:

Well I'm a scientist and I'm sceptical. What was the climate like 500 years ago? 1000 years ago?
    Sunil, even the little ice ages are explainable. You have heard of "precessions" surely.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/time/precession.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

It was simply:

Sunil, even the little ice ages are explainable. You have heard of "precessions" surely.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/time/precession.html
    Am I allowed to get involved in this discussion.... hmm. Better not :-)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    OGH personally I like the new manner of displaying polls. Simple and easy to interpret.

On climate change, I am sure mankind is not helping but we know there have been periods of warming and cooling every few hundred years. Let's face it, if any of the major volcanoes go up, never mind a super-volcano, we wont have to worry about global warming! Toba almost wiped out mankind 80,000 years ago. Every time a major eruption occurs in Indonesia we have to hope its not the big one.
  • Options
    On topic, I agree with the other comments so far. The new way of displaying polls is simple and effective. A good adjustment.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited February 2014
    As for the very term "climate change". The climate has always been changing ever since the Earth first formed an atmosphere.
  • Options

As for the very term "climate change". The climate has always been changing ever since the Earth first formed an atmosphere.

If people believe in AGW then the most effective method of solving is killing a good proportion of the human race. Why is this not green party policy?

• Options
    FPT: "The last Eton-educated Conservative to lead his party to an overall majority was Harold Macmillan at the 1959 general election."

Yes, but also Macmillan was (apart from the very special case of Maggie) the greatest PM of the post-war years.

It's a small sample, though - I'm not sure you can assume that, just because Macmillan and Cameron have been so good, that therefore we should actively seek out Old Etonians to run the country.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but obliquely related to tonight's thread.

I owe a genuine thankyou to Hugh and ManchesterKurt for the other night's discussion on AGW.

I have written so many papers and reports for private companies over the last 25 years on various aspects of geology, geo-morphology and palaeo-environment models that I have literally forgotten how many I have done. Most end up in company records and larger reports, the vast majority never published with just a few making it through into the public domain, usually only fragmentary in specialist journals or reports.

So after the comments the other night about the lack of published work I decided that it was time I did something about it. I have always had an absolute love of both learning and pure research and so had a chat with a friend who is a professor of archaeology and he has put me on the road to applying to do my PhD. I am not sure yet how my wife feels about it given the number of calls already on my time but I figure that if I don't do it now I will regret it. I suspect it is a classic mid life crisis and it is either this or buy a Harley

So thanks to PB I am hopefully going to start my doctorate in 2015.... if anyone will have me :-)

So be warned. In a few years time if anyone asks me if I have any peer reviewed papers... well I will probably still have to say no :-)
  • Options

I owe a genuine thankyou to Hugh and ManchesterKurt for the other night's discussion on AGW.

I have written so many papers and reports for private companies over the last 25 years on various aspects of geology, geo-morphology and palaeo-environment models that I have literally forgotten how many I have done. Most end up in company records and larger reports, the vast majority never published with just a few making it through into the public domain, usually only fragmentary in specialist journals or reports.

So after the comments the other night about the lack of published work I decided that it was time I did something about it. I have always had an absolute love of both learning and pure research and so had a chat with a friend who is a professor of archaeology and he has put me on the road to applying to do my PhD. I am not sure yet how my wife feels about it given the number of calls already on my time but I figure that if I don't do it now I will regret it. I suspect it is a classic mid life crisis and it is either this or buy a Harley

So thanks to PB I am hopefully going to start my doctorate in 2015.... if anyone will have me :-)

So be warned. In a few years time if anyone asks me if I have any peer reviewed papers... well I will probably still have to say no :-)

It just goes to show that media studies students are good for something after all

• Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    The questions which keeps springing back into my mind when people claim that it's been the wettest year since 1910, or that the Thames is at its highest level for 60 years and this proves it's AGW in action as such as "what caused the flooding in 1910 then?", and "why did the Thames get so high in 1950 (or whenever it was)". Clearly it wasn't climate change then....? Or maybe the "experts" agree just talking their usual level of fetid dingos kidneys...

The keen observer will also note that over the last ten years or so we have variously been told "Our kids will never see snow, cos AGW will leave the UK an arid desert" (that was a warm winter), that we should expect more extreme cold and snow cos of AGW (because it was a cold winter, the coldest since 1987 or something), that summers will be damp, wet and miserable because of AGW (that was after the wettest one for X years, that the land will dry out and water will become a rare resource in the Uk because of AGW (that was a dry summer).

The cynical mind might conclude from this that climate scientists know very little, and the journalists who report on them know even less, but they are all very sure we are doomed because of it...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    The new charts are very elegant and easy to follow.

On UKIP this may be a blip but the timing is not particularly opportune as things start to wind up for the Euros. Not a bad result for them in the by election though so probably too early to say.

I know we have rather talked it to death in the last few days and I am at least partly responsible for that but I did expect to see some new polling on the Scottish referendum in the papers tomorrow. It would be interesting to see if the last poll showing a MOE swing to no was an aberration or if the trend for narrowing is slowing or stopped.
  • Options

Good for you. As mid-life crises go, that's a good one.

[I won't try to discourage you by telling the stories behind my peer-reviewed papers in very prestigious scientific journals when I was doing my doctorate years ago...]
  • Options

[I won't try to discourage you by telling the stories behind my peer-reviewed papers in very prestigious scientific journals when I was doing my doctorate years ago...]
    I must admit one of the things that put me off initially in the years after I graduated was seeing how postgrad students seemed to regularly find their hard work appearing published under the name of their supervisor when said supervisor had done nothing more than read it at the end to make sure it was going to embarrass the department.
  • Options

No one doubts that. Some cannot be influenced by us. But others can.

Take fossil fuel burning. It took millions of years for these carbon energy reserves to accumulate. Coal, oil, natural gas etc. Yet in two hundred years we have been burning them.

The burning of stored energy at this rate has not happened in the earth's history before.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Anyone remember when (if) Farage last had a net rating lower than Miliband? I can't recall that. My vague recollection is that he used to be way out in front, if only because people either liked him or didn't know him with comparatively few negatives.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    ZenPagan said:

If people believe in AGW then the most effective method of solving is killing a good proportion of the human race. Why is this not green party policy?

I always thought it was their policy, its just that they aren't particularly open about it.

• Options

I must admit one of the things that put me off initially in the years after I graduated was seeing how postgrad students seemed to regularly find their hard work appearing published under the name of their supervisor when said supervisor had done nothing more than read it at the end to make sure it was going to embarrass the department.
    That's depressingly true. I still remember with pride the first paper I had published. By the time it got to the journal three other people had attached their names to it and I felt at one point my name wasn't even going to make it at all!

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2014

The funniest one of my mine was rather the other way round. What happened was that a very famous scientist published a paper on the expected properties of one particular sub-atomic particle. My supervisor gave me the paper and suggested I study it and try to understand the calculation behind it, which I duly did. I came to a different answer to the original paper. So I assumed I must have made a mistake, and went through my calculation again. Same result as before. This was quite a long calculation, about twenty pages of maths, so I wasn't too surprised - I just assumed I must have made a mistake. So I went through it again, and again, and couldn't see what I'd done wrong.

So eventually I went to my supervisor, and asked him to help me find out what I was doing wrong. He went through it, and came to the same answer as me.

It so happened that there was a visiting professor from a well-known US university who was an expert in the field, so we went to him and showed him our workings, still assuming we must both have made a mistake. He went through it, and agreed with me and my supervisor. The original paper seemed to be wrong.

By this time we were getting quite excited. We drafted a joint paper, politely but pointedly arguing that the standard scientific consensus must be wrong on this particular calculation.

Unfortunately it wasn't the great scientific breakthrough that we thought. The professor went back to the US, and got one his post-grad students to go through the whole thing again. It turned out that all three of us had made the same silly mistake - a wrong sign on one of the hundreds of terms in this 20 pages of calculation!

The amusing thing was what happened next. Loathe to miss out on the opportunity of getting a peer-reviewed paper to count towards the Brownie points which scientists have to get, we re-jigged the paper to correct the mistake, basically now saying that we had discovered nothing interesting other than the fact that the other guys had got their sums right. We got this non-paper published in Physical Review Letters, at that time the most prestigious journal in the field. I couldn't help feeling that a silly mistake by me didn't really constitute a major scientific advance!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Looks good. But it'd be helpful if you could add sampling dates when you have them ("not yet" is the answer to that, I think). We don't know if either change might be related to the by-election result and comments on it, for instance.

Congrats to Nigel4England for saying he was mistaken - always something that's difficult to do, but enhances the forum when anyone does.

• Options
    ZenPagan said:

Improving global female education is important in this respect actually.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

My understanding is that if you are worried about global population growth then the very best thing you can do is pull the Third World out of poverty and give them access to good health care and an improved standard of living. All the evidence I have seen is that this quite rapidly results in falling birth rates. But yes empowering women through education is also a great leap forward.
  • Options
    Gays and the flooding - Part II - Courtesy of the Mail

Why did floods agency spend hundreds on 'equali-tea' gay awareness mugs... and £30,000 on gay pride marches? As Britain counts cost of shoddy defences, we reveal bizarre spending by quango bosses

Investigation shows the Environment Agency, headed by Lord Chris Smith - Britain's first openly gay Cabinet Minister - spent £639 on gay rights mugs

EA also spent £30,000 sponsoring Birmingham's Gay Pride festival in 2009

Comes as EA faces growing criticism of its handling of the flooding crisis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560300/Why-did-floods-agency-spend-hundreds-equali-tea-gay-awareness-mugs-30-000-gay-pride-marches-As-Britain-counts-cost-shoddy-defences-reveal-bizarre-spending-quango-bosses.html

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

You are teaching women to shoot?

• Options

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

My understanding is that if you are worried about global population growth then the very best thing you can do is pull the Third World out of poverty and give them access to good health care and an improved standard of living. All the evidence I have seen is that this quite rapidly results in falling birth rates. But yes empowering women through education is also a great leap forward.
    While I agree that lifting the standard of living of the third world is both a worthy aim and would reduce population growth that is not nearly enough to make a dent if the global warming alarmists are correct in their theories. To actually make a difference in AGW under their theories we would need to cull about 80% of the worlds population I reckon.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited February 2014

Why did floods agency spend hundreds on 'equali-tea' gay awareness mugs... and £30,000 on gay pride marches? As Britain counts cost of shoddy defences, we reveal bizarre spending by quango bosses

Investigation shows the Environment Agency, headed by Lord Chris Smith - Britain's first openly gay Cabinet Minister - spent £639 on gay rights mugs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560300/Why-did-floods-agency-spend-hundreds-equali-tea-gay-awareness-mugs-30-000-gay-pride-marches-As-Britain-counts-cost-shoddy-defences-reveal-bizarre-spending-quango-bosses.html

Far be it for me to argue with the Mail (cough!) but surely if the 'Gay Rights' mugs cost no more than normal mugs marked with (for example) 'Environment Agency' then I fail to see what the problem is.

I do however have a problem with government agencies spending money outside their remit such as on parades or festivals of any kind.

Edit: By my calculation if, as we are told, there are 11,000 EA employees then that works out at just under 6p per person for mugs. Maybe we should get the EA to run all the rest of our office spending as that is a bloody good deal. :-)
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

While I agree that lifting the standard of living of the third world is both a worthy aim and would reduce population growth that is not nearly enough to make a dent if the global warming alarmists are correct in their theories. To actually make a difference in AGW under their theories we would need to cull about 80% of the worlds population I reckon.

Probably true as a percentage; but as they can't even predict the weather accurately yet, how can they predict how to fix the weather?

• Options
    ZenPagan said:

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

Hmm I think the only way you could get to that sort of number is through mass sterilisation. War wouldn't kill nearly enough and whilst a decent bout of spanish flu is always good to knock a few million off a mass sterilisation program is whats really needed.
  • Options

A story about a gay mug.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

Hmm I think the only way you could get to that sort of number is through mass sterilisation. War wouldn't kill nearly enough and whilst a decent bout of spanish flu is always good to knock a few million off a mass sterilisation program is whats really needed.
    The obvious answer is that if they are right we use money to adapt to conditions as they arise. Advocating spending 100's of billions and locking the third world into poverty to reduce a hypothetical temperature rise by a couple of degrees is the very definition of insanity and one reason why even if they proved their theory correct about AGW why we couldn't take them or their solutions seriously

• Options
    No VI in the Sunday Times, but there's this

David Cameron’s appearances in flood zones appear to have had some effect, with a slight increase to 29% in those who think he has handled the situation well, but a majority (60%) still believe he has done badly.

On the flooding: 27% blame the government (up 10 points from a fortnight ago), 23% the Environment Agency (down five), while 41% say the cause is freak weather and nothing could have been done (down eight).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    ZenPagan said:

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

Pulpstar said:

ZenPagan said:

The obvious answer is that if they are right we use money to adapt to conditions as they arise. Advocating spending 100's of billions and locking the third world into poverty to reduce a hypothetical temperature rise by a couple of degrees is the very definition of insanity and one reason why even if they proved their theory correct about AGW why we couldn't take them or their solutions seriously

I actually agree with the general scientific consensus that humanity has an effect on the climate. To go from there to prioritising 'climate change' as a Gov't objective above energy affordability and security is where I draw the line.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I actually agree with the general scientific consensus that humanity has an effect on the climate. To go from there to prioritising 'climate change' as a Gov't objective above energy affordability and security is where I draw the line.

Humanity obviously has an effect on climate.

Where I am not convinced is whether it is the major component.

Even if it is the major component I remain unconvinced by the AGW assessment of what needs to happen on the grounds that it costs a huge amount for an outcome that may never occur (their models predictions leave me thinking they are guessing frankly) or if it does occur that the meagre cuts they believe their measures will effect will actually make the difference between survival of the race or not.

I am however convinced that enacting their measures would cause immense poverty and misery amongst those least able to cope under current circumstances.

• Options
    ZenPagan said:

Advocating spending 100's of billions and locking the third world into poverty to reduce a hypothetical temperature rise by a couple of degrees is the very definition of insanity and one reason why even if they proved their theory correct about AGW why we couldn't take them or their solutions seriously

I would dispute "locking the third world into poverty", but what's the calculation that makes spending 100s of billions to prevent climate change insane? The UK doesn't have a lot of extreme weather at the moment (which would be a helpful thing to keep) but if you look at an event like Hurricane Irene, that single hurricane cost 15 billion dollars right there, and it wasn't even an exceptionally bad case - much smaller than Katrina. That's pure economic damage, in an economy that's well set up to deal with it.

If you were creating civilization from scratch you might not be too worried whether you built it at the current temperatures or current temperatures + x, but as it is we have a huge amount of infrastructure designed for the current climate, or something like it. Changing everything around to deal with a significant change to it is an unbelievably expensive undertaking.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited February 2014
    I don't know how your Olympic coverage is going, but I'm not impressed by NBCs, even with the 2,700 folks they sent over there, as their evening news and morning show also emanate from Sochi.. they even have a Starbucks in the NBC compund.

Last Sunday night their coverage got lower ratings than The Walking Dead, which is a cable show.

The Wall Street Journal did an analysis of their prime time (recorded), and late night (live) coverage on Tuesday Feb 11th. This is what they found -

Commercials - 33.1%
    Breaks in action - 26.8%
    Action - 24.4%
    Replays - 9.3%
    Studio - 4.1%
    Athlete interviews - 2.3%

Here's the WSJ article...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304703804579383152207344072?KEYWORDS=nbc+olympics
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Last Sunday night their coverage got lower ratings than The Walking Dead, which is a cable show.

Not just a cable show, the world's most awesome cable show in the history of ever.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

Not just a cable show, the world's most awesome cable show in the history of ever.
    - and made in Atlanta too!
  • Options

ZenPagan said:

Advocating spending 100's of billions and locking the third world into poverty to reduce a hypothetical temperature rise by a couple of degrees is the very definition of insanity and one reason why even if they proved their theory correct about AGW why we couldn't take them or their solutions seriously

I would dispute "locking the third world into poverty", but what's the calculation that makes spending 100s of billions to prevent climate change insane? The UK doesn't have a lot of extreme weather at the moment (which would be a helpful thing to keep) but if you look at an event like Hurricane Irene, that single hurricane cost 15 billion dollars right there, and it wasn't even an exceptionally bad case - much smaller than Katrina. That's pure economic damage, in an economy that's well set up to deal with it.

If you were creating civilization from scratch you might not be too worried whether you built it at the current temperatures or current temperatures + x, but as it is we have a huge amount of infrastructure designed for the current climate, or something like it. Changing everything around to deal with a significant change to it is an unbelievably expensive undertaking.
    What's the value of all the real-estate in New York?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

Good luck with that - it must be a difficult decision to make later in life, when there are so many other demands on your time. Hope it goes well and, more importantly, you enjoy it.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited February 2014

ZenPagan said:

Well exactly. I guess you could protect New York from pretty much anything the climate could throw at if at it albeit at great expense, but the basic problem is that people live in places optimized for not too much extreme weather, usually as close as you can get to the sea without regularly getting wet, and in infrastructure designed on the assumption that those two things will hold. Switching from fossil fuels to renewables and/or nuclear isn't cheap, but it's not plausibly more expensive than breaking the core assumptions that we used to decide where to build things.
  • Options

ZenPagan said:

Well exactly. I guess you could protect New York from pretty much anything the climate could throw at if at it albeit at great expense, but the basic problem is that people live in places optimized for not too much extreme weather, usually as close as you can get to the sea without regularly getting wet, and in infrastructure designed on the assumption that those two things will hold. Switching from fossil fuels to renewables and/or nuclear isn't cheap, but it's not plausibly more expensive than breaking the core assumptions that we used to decide where to build things.
    The fallacy in that argument is the assumption that, even if we accept that man is causing some climate change, that underlying climate change does not occur as well.

I.e. that even if we were to stop throwing greenhouses gasses into the air, that the climate would remain static and extreme weather patterns not change. History show us all too well that they do change, for reasons we do not fully understand.

Therefore it makes sense to make our habitations more robust against such extremes anyway, especially in the long term. Imagine how London would have to change if we had another little ice age and more frost fairs, just as one example.

There seems to be a rather stupid assumption by some people that climate change is caused by man, rather than man contributing to climate change.
  • Options

ZenPagan said:

The fallacy in that argument is the assumption that, even if we accept that man is causing some climate change, that underlying climate change does not occur as well.

I.e. that even if we were to stop throwing greenhouses gasses into the air, that the climate would remain static and extreme weather patterns not change. History show us all too well that they do change, for reasons we do not fully understand.

Therefore it makes sense to make our habitations more robust against such extremes anyway, especially in the long term. Imagine how London would have to change if we had another little ice age and more frost fairs, just as one example.

There seems to be a rather stupid assumption by some people that climate change is caused by man, rather than man contributing to climate change.
    The argument doesn't assume that.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options

It appears to. Mankind might be 'breaking the core assumptions that we used to decide where to build things'; however the climate has a very good track record of doing that itself in the past without mankind's help. If we were to cut all carbon emissions then we will still need to harden the places we live.

As an example: many places in Britain are subject to coastal flooding because of coastal retreat, which has been happening since the last ice age, and glacial isostasy in the south. Coastal towns and cities need protection anyway, regardless of AGW.

I'm firmly in the reduce-carbon-emission-where-we-can-cheaply-but-concentrate-on-mitigation camp. I guess that makes me a heretic. ;-)
  • Options

It appears to. Mankind might be 'breaking the core assumptions that we used to decide where to build things'; however the climate has a very good track record of doing that itself in the past without mankind's help. If we were to cut all carbon emissions then we will still need to harden the places we live.

As an example: many places in Britain are subject to coastal flooding because of coastal retreat, which has been happening since the last ice age, and glacial isostasy in the south. Coastal towns and cities need protection anyway, regardless of AGW.

I'm firmly in the reduce-carbon-emission-where-we-can-cheaply-but-concentrate-on-mitigation camp. I guess that makes me a heretic. ;-)
    No, if the effects were equally sized (unlikely to be a safe assumption here over the timescale in question) then adding a +1 mankind-driven effect to a +1 or -1 mankind-independent effect gives you a +2 effect. (Or a +0 effect if you're very lucky.) This is a problem because 2 is a bigger number than 1.
  • Options

No, if the effects were equally sized (unlikely to be a safe assumption here over the timescale in question) then adding a +1 mankind-driven effect to a +1 or -1 mankind-independent effect gives you a +2 effect. (Or a +0 effect if you're very lucky.) This is a problem because 2 is a bigger number than 1.
    '2 is a bigger number than 1'. Wow. Thanks for that lesson; I'd never realised that. You are truly a mathematical genius. ;-)

The size of the effects do not matter because there is a threat anyway. For instance, here in the UK the effect of glacial rebound means that many parts of the south, and especially the southeast, are threatened by sea level rise (or actually land descent). Protection is needed anyway, and the same goes for areas of (say) the east coast, where the glacial till is very susceptible to the sea.

Spending billions on reducing carbon emissions whilst not hardening our infrastructure is absolute lunacy. And hardening our infrastructure can protect us from many different dangers, not just changes in the climate.

Modern life is very fragile: a flood three hundred years ago would just lead homeowners having to dry the place out afterwards. A flood nowadays leads to all sorts of work needed doing, as well as ruined appliances and carpets. It may cost less lives, but the economic cost is so much greater.

The solution is to harden our modern facilities and utilities.
This discussion has been closed.