Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In just a month Sunak sees a massive drop in his ratings – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Rishi isn't going anywhere. There is no alternative now. He will see it through and probably go for a GE May 2024.

Given that you've always supported him, Mandy Rice-Davies applies.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,469
    edited September 2023
    isam said:

Ghedebrav said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

The young Fred and Rosie West

He is “quite good looking” I guess, in a sort of rough peasanty way. More disturbingly, she is genuinely pretty

Is that Paul McCartney sitting on his knee?
    Relatedly, I rewatched that "Classic Album" episode from 2003, last night, describing the making of Dark Side of the Moon. Superb hour of documentary entertainment, full of revelations (it's on Amazon Prime)

David Gilmour was a seriously beautiful young man, Roger Waters was definitely not (borderline ugly): I do wonder how much this fuelled the rivalry between them. Waters got better looking with age, Gilmour went the other way

And the music was so complicated, clever and live. It all had to be performed more-or-less live, even getting the chimes of the clocks in "Time" to coincide exactly with the right chords on piano and guitar. And so much of it was sheer serendipity, eg the incredible vocalist brought in to wail about death in "Great Gig in the Sky" just because she was a friend of the producer and was in the area at the time

Claire Torry. Apparently she thought she'd fucked it up and went back to the studio to apologise, they looked at her like she was mad, and told her it was brilliant

They still didn't pay her properly, tho. She had to sue them in 2004 for totally justified royalities, rather than the £30 session fee she got. They settled out of court, for an "undisclosed sum". I wonder how much she got. Half a million? The record has generated hundreds of millions
    Brilliant programme. Waters rendition of ‘Money’ & the story of how he thought it sounded is great - he rejigged it this year and rehearsed it - absolutely terrible beyond belief

The Lyrics to some of the songs on The Final Cut (title track, When the Tigers Broke Free & The Gunners Dream) are very moving about the futility of war

You’re right about the way they’ve aged - Waters was an incredibly ugly young man, and is quite dashing nowadays, whereas Gilmour has outgrown his looks for sure

I thought you were going to say McCartney was on DSOTM - apparently they interviewed him & Linda did the conversations between songs but never used them because they were too scripted
    It's a deeply poignant programme because it also illuminates an Absolute Peak Moment of Pop Music, never to be repeated. It's like watching a documentary with an older Michelangelo and an ageing Pope Julius II where they joke and gossip about "how they got the Sistine ceiling painted".

"Do you remember the problem with the scaffolding, Mike?

"hah, yeah, and we ran out of paint that day - and you told Raphael to fuck off"

etc

You watch it realising, This will not happen again, a form of music peaked here, just as Renaissance painting reached a peak with the Sistine Chapel, and then came a long decline, and a new Michelangelo never emerged

It was when the four of them gelled as a band like never before or after that’s for sure. It was pretty much the end of any kind of friendship between Waters and the others too

May sound glib to compare, but Arctic Monkeys AM is the best album of the 21st C in my opinion. Took me a decade to bother listening to it but I can’t believe how brilliant it is. The ups and downs of a relationship/unrequited love/being on the pull/being heartbroken/in love put simply but beautifully throughout
    I’m not huge Arctic Monkeys guy but AM is a very good album. Shurely not the best of the 21st century (not sure it would scrape my top 100 if I could really be arsed to think of one), but of a high enough standard to see why someone might place it there.

Also fwiw I don’t think Gilmour is that bad looking a guy, and is by all accounts a thoroughly nice fella.
    I’m not a huge fan of them either. Or wasn’t I suppose. But I think it’s great. I haven’t really listened to many 21stC albums really so it’s not a competitive heat… Beck’s ‘Sea Change’ & blur ‘Think Tank’ are the only two I’ve really liked I think.
    I think it was more the recording of The Wall rather than Dark Side when the Waters-Gilmour friendship started to break badly.

Obviously it was downhill rapidly after that LP.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

New Canadian poll.

Con 42.2%
    Lib 21.9%
    NDP 17.2%
    BQ 6.9%
    Green 6.2%
    PPC 3.5%
    Others 2.0%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_45th_Canadian_federal_election

Tories benefiting from the left of centre vote being split. That has a familiar ring to it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,780
    For a king who was meant to be a disaster, and stoke the fires of republicanism, King Charles seems to be awful popular in France

Vive le Roi! Vive le Roi!

https://x.com/MacronardsFM/status/1704511252284756111?s=20
  • Options

Arcade Fire’s Funeral and Frank Ocean’s Channel Orange are both good.

The names of these craft beers get ever more ridiculous.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 634

Also, a bonus point is nailed on

Saving this one.......
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Ghedebrav said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

He is “quite good looking” I guess, in a sort of rough peasanty way. More disturbingly, she is genuinely pretty

Relatedly, I rewatched that "Classic Album" episode from 2003, last night, describing the making of Dark Side of the Moon. Superb hour of documentary entertainment, full of revelations (it's on Amazon Prime)

David Gilmour was a seriously beautiful young man, Roger Waters was definitely not (borderline ugly): I do wonder how much this fuelled the rivalry between them. Waters got better looking with age, Gilmour went the other way

And the music was so complicated, clever and live. It all had to be performed more-or-less live, even getting the chimes of the clocks in "Time" to coincide exactly with the right chords on piano and guitar. And so much of it was sheer serendipity, eg the incredible vocalist brought in to wail about death in "Great Gig in the Sky" just because she was a friend of the producer and was in the area at the time

Claire Torry. Apparently she thought she'd fucked it up and went back to the studio to apologise, they looked at her like she was mad, and told her it was brilliant

They still didn't pay her properly, tho. She had to sue them in 2004 for totally justified royalities, rather than the £30 session fee she got. They settled out of court, for an "undisclosed sum". I wonder how much she got. Half a million? The record has generated hundreds of millions
    Brilliant programme. Waters rendition of ‘Money’ & the story of how he thought it sounded is great - he rejigged it this year and rehearsed it - absolutely terrible beyond belief

The Lyrics to some of the songs on The Final Cut (title track, When the Tigers Broke Free & The Gunners Dream) are very moving about the futility of war

You’re right about the way they’ve aged - Waters was an incredibly ugly young man, and is quite dashing nowadays, whereas Gilmour has outgrown his looks for sure

I thought you were going to say McCartney was on DSOTM - apparently they interviewed him & Linda did the conversations between songs but never used them because they were too scripted
    It's a deeply poignant programme because it also illuminates an Absolute Peak Moment of Pop Music, never to be repeated. It's like watching a documentary with an older Michelangelo and an ageing Pope Julius II where they joke and gossip about "how they got the Sistine ceiling painted".

"hah, yeah, and we ran out of paint that day - and you told Raphael to fuck off"

etc

You watch it realising, This will not happen again, a form of music peaked here, just as Renaissance painting reached a peak with the Sistine Chapel, and then came a long decline, and a new Michelangelo never emerged

It was when the four of them gelled as a band like never before or after that’s for sure. It was pretty much the end of any kind of friendship between Waters and the others too

May sound glib to compare, but Arctic Monkeys AM is the best album of the 21st C in my opinion. Took me a decade to bother listening to it but I can’t believe how brilliant it is. The ups and downs of a relationship/unrequited love/being on the pull/being heartbroken/in love put simply but beautifully throughout
    I’m not huge Arctic Monkeys guy but AM is a very good album. Shurely not the best of the 21st century (not sure it would scrape my top 100 if I could really be arsed to think of one), but of a high enough standard to see why someone might place it there.

Also fwiw I don’t think Gilmour is that bad looking a guy, and is by all accounts a thoroughly nice fella.
    I’m not a huge fan of them either. Or wasn’t I suppose. But I think it’s great. I haven’t really listened to many 21stC albums really so it’s not a competitive heat… Beck’s ‘Sea Change’ & blur ‘Think Tank’ are the only two I’ve really liked I think.
    I think it was more the recording of The Wall rather than Dark Side when the Waters-Gilmour friendship started to break badly.

Obviously it was downhill rapidly after that LP.
    The Wall was when it broke completely, but I seem to remember Waters saying DSOTM was the last time they felt like a kind of band of brothers. After that, once they had achieved greatness and fortune, they were left rather aimless - Wish You Were Here was as much about their disillusion with the music industry as it was Syd Barrett

What has this to do with politics or betting? Not a lot!
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 634

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

For the record.....

Three games up on Saturday:

ENG v CHI. Chile will run anything they get back at England, but England will be too strong and should win by 20-30

GEO v POR. This will be well matched – with Georgia’s physicality against Portugal’s fluid game. Georgia to eventually win by 10, but it will be close for much of the game. Portugal could even win (potential betting opportunity)

RSA v IRE. This game will be immense. Ireland are very controlled but will meet their match in South Africa, especially when they meet the ‘Bomb Squad’ in the pack. I think RSA will just be too strong for Ireland – South Africa by 6

I think England will be pleased with a solid performance and to win the game. If we win we are virtually through to the QF. A bonus point for 4 tries is unlikely.
    You are not - if Samoa beat you then 3 teams will have same win-lose ratio and it will come down to bonus points and then points difference. Same scenario Wales are facing. We will know our fate on Sunday. You have two weeks to sweat....
    Samoa certainly won't be easy for us!

Not sure who will win tomorrow, Australia or Wales. Too close to call?
    Close - but not too close to call... Wales by 5 - but very close... and nervy. .
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,860
    The odds are currently Ireland 9/1 to win against England at Trent Bridge.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/cricket/one-day-internationals/england-v-ireland-betting-32650774
  • Options
    Leon said:

For a king who was meant to be a disaster, and stoke the fires of republicanism, King Charles seems to be awful popular in France

Perhaps they can be persuaded to keep him.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

etc

Did you listen to the album when it was first released in 1973?
    No, I was a bit too young

I got into it in the late 70s when all my mates were into punk and post-punk (I was actually in a post-punk band) in Hereford. Pink Floyd was my secret pleasure (and Led Zep)

I later learned the piano version of Great Gig in the Sky, the only decent song I've ever mastered, it was my party trick: sitting down and banging it out. Even without the vocals its a haunting, lovely chord sequence, but with those vocals it is one of the greatest songs ever recorded, no wonder she asked for royalties
    I went off Pink Floyd for years as my older brother played them to death when I was young. Then one of my best mates, whose dad was in the army and was killed when he was young was told by his mum that “Shine on you crazy diamond” was his favourite song so at the end of a pub session he would always put on “SOYCD” followed by Dire Straits “Brothers in arms” and put a real downer on the night.

Got into them again weirdly after the Scissor Sisters did a great cover of comfortably numb that made me revisit.
    I can't say that their mid 70s or later stuff does much for me, but I was recently introduced to their 1972 Pompeii concert which is really quite fucking amazing. Especially this bit of 'Echoes' starting just over 9 mins in: https://youtu.be/fhDfmUnN1vY?si=w756wd6o-MY68dNu&t=558

And, god, yes, Gilmour was delicious.
  • Options
    Why do Latin American anthems always have an absurd extra chorus bit, that goes on and on?
  • Options
    And on
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,756
    AlsoLei said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

etc

I got into it in the late 70s when all my mates were into punk and post-punk (I was actually in a post-punk band) in Hereford. Pink Floyd was my secret pleasure (and Led Zep)

I later learned the piano version of Great Gig in the Sky, the only decent song I've ever mastered, it was my party trick: sitting down and banging it out. Even without the vocals its a haunting, lovely chord sequence, but with those vocals it is one of the greatest songs ever recorded, no wonder she asked for royalties
    I went off Pink Floyd for years as my older brother played them to death when I was young. Then one of my best mates, whose dad was in the army and was killed when he was young was told by his mum that “Shine on you crazy diamond” was his favourite song so at the end of a pub session he would always put on “SOYCD” followed by Dire Straits “Brothers in arms” and put a real downer on the night.

Got into them again weirdly after the Scissor Sisters did a great cover of comfortably numb that made me revisit.
    I can't say that their mid 70s or later stuff does much for me, but I was recently introduced to their 1972 Pompeii concert which is really quite fucking amazing. Especially this bit of 'Echoes' starting just over 9 mins in: https://youtu.be/fhDfmUnN1vY?si=w756wd6o-MY68dNu&t=558

If I’m going to put on and listen to whole moody album it’s always going to be the Cure though, especially Disintegration, rather than Pink Floyd.

On different bands however for all my life I thought “Dream on” was by Led Zeppelin until a few months ago when I found out it was Aerosmith so I clearly know nothing about music.
  • Options
    Leon said:

There is still a strong monarchist minority in France.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Leon said:

etc

We went around Pompeii a couple of months ago, and there's a gallery section under the amphitheater devoted to *that* concert. It felt a little weird for a place famous for stuff that happened nearly 2,000 years ago to have stuff devoted to something that happened when I was one.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think plenty of French still regret getting rid of theirs.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,744

Leon said:

When I become unDictator, I do need a housing minister.

{giggles at the thought of weeping architects}
  • Options

Leon said:

He also speaks rather good French (in a plummy accent), that always wins the Frogs over
  • Options

Leon said:

I saw a lovely video this morning of some mountain bikers who come across a lone King Charles in the mountains, and who chat to him for a few minutes.

4 mins 30 secs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QABiQFWwXHg
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He also speaks rather good French (in a plummy accent), that always wins the Frogs over
    I speak good French in a plummy accent and the French pretend they don’t understand me - to the level that I asked for an ashtray once (cendrier) and they brought me a sodding Sangria.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,323

Leon said:

I saw a lovely video this morning of some mountain bikers who come across a lone King Charles in the mountains, and who chat to him for a few minutes.

4 mins 30 secs in

What was surprising about that there was no protection officer to be seen.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I speak good French in a plummy accent and the French pretend they don’t understand me - to the level that I asked for an ashtray once (cendrier) and they brought me a sodding Sangria.
    You ain't a king, tho
  • Options
    I know this triggers some but our son called round and said that he has not met anyone, either at work or socially, that is supportive of the new 20mph zone and even Plaid supporters he works with are angry

The petition administered by the Senedd is now at an astonishing 403,000 votes and continues to grow

There will be some who are trying to debase the petition, but this has become the major story in Wales and hopefully common sense reviews by LA'S will take place
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Equally useable as an ashtray to be fair.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He does.

We'd be mad to give it up. The rest of the world wistfully wishes it still had the same magic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,412
    RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

What did you think all those Land Rovers casing the route were carrying?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,558
    Leon said:

According to that chart, Sunak is still considered more favourably than the Tories themselves.

Perhaps in the same way that Rosemary probably gets marginally more sympathy than Fred West.

Rose gets less sympathy than Fred for not doing the decent thing and topping herself. I would have thought.
    My then-wife once made the chilling observation that “actually, the young Fred West was quite good looking”
    Holy crap , needed Specsavers for sure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

As they say on the video, the snipers will be in the hills around him. And they said they passed security down the track before meeting him.

I've heard several stories amongst Scottish hillwalkers of meeting Chuckles alone on the hills, and of him being very friendly. It's good to see it's actually true, even when he is king.
  • Options
    Good game, England throwing away clear opportunities
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

What did you think all those Land Rovers casing the route were carrying?
    Ah, sorry, I only saw a shorter clip of them talking in which you could see no one other than the King and the cyclists.
  • Options

I know this triggers some but our son called round and said that he has not met anyone, either at work or socially, that is supportive of the new 20mph zone and even Plaid supporters he works with are angry

The petition administered by the Senedd is now at an astonishing 403,000 votes and continues to grow

There will be some who are trying to debase the petition, but this has become the major story in Wales and hopefully common sense reviews by LA'S will take place

I really have no time for people putting joke entries on a petition. It wasn't funny when it allowed Punch to parody the Chartists, and it hasn't become any funnier with the passage of time.
    https://www.alamy.com/uk-chartism-punch-1848-image3177179.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,436
    Andy_JS said:

The odds are currently Ireland 9/1 to win against England at Trent Bridge.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/cricket/one-day-internationals/england-v-ireland-betting-32650774

The bowled quite well after the first ten overs but the wheels are coming of their batting now. Super googly from Rehman just now.

No, I’m not there; it’s on TV.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,233
    Leon said:

According to that chart, Sunak is still considered more favourably than the Tories themselves.

Perhaps in the same way that Rosemary probably gets marginally more sympathy than Fred West.

Rose gets less sympathy than Fred for not doing the decent thing and topping herself. I would have thought.
    My then-wife once made the chilling observation that “actually, the young Fred West was quite good looking”
    Which tells us more than maybe you intended….

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Which tells us more than maybe you intended….

No mate, it was intended. DUH
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,558

Leon said:

One can only hope.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

Yes, that's the sort of thing that would astonish (and terrify) Americans but it's probably exactly why the Royals look forward to going to Balmoral and Scotland so much.
  • Options

Leon said:

But a republican majority?
  • Options
    I wonder whether this sudden sort-of announcement that the US may supply ATACMS long-range weapons to Ukraine might have a little to do with Storm Shadow/SCALP 's successes in the war, including the Black Sea extravaganza yesterday?

There comes a time when reticence might start harming arms sales, you know...
  • Options

Rishi isn't going anywhere. There is no alternative now. He will see it through and probably go for a GE May 2024.

Given that you've always supported him, Mandy Rice-Davies applies.
    You would say that, wouldn't you?!
  • Options

I wonder whether this sudden sort-of announcement that the US may supply ATACMS long-range weapons to Ukraine might have a little to do with Storm Shadow/SCALP 's successes in the war, including the Black Sea extravaganza yesterday?

I would imagine the US military might want to see how they perform in real life which is a good reason to push for sending them. It’s a good deterrent if potential enemies actually have real evidence that your systems are very effective. Think of all the talk pre war about how good Russian kit was and then how it’s performed.
  • Options
    The French tv directors are so sneaky only showing ugly English supporters in the crowd. I bet they only pick out hot French fans.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,991
    edited September 2023
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Holy crap , needed Specsavers for sure.
    It's hard to assess a man's looks properly when you know they were responsible for killing and dismembering several young women. I'm not sure you should even try.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,175
    boulay said:

The French tv directors are so sneaky only showing ugly English supporters in the crowd. I bet they only pick out hot French fans.

Have you considered that in France those people may be considered beautiful?
  • Options
    Much better from England. High pressure
  • Options

boulay said:

Have you considered that in France those people may be considered beautiful?
    I suppose there are large swathes of France who share ancestors with them so they get to see their long lost relatives.
  • Options

Brother-in-law, who has a holiday place on Anglesey, and was there this week, said everything seemed fine. Bit difficult in places but he and his wife, who does the driving, had no complaints.
  • Options

Brother-in-law, who has a holiday place on Anglesey, and was there this week, said everything seemed fine. Bit difficult in places but he and his wife, who does the driving, had no complaints.
    I am not surprised as he would have used the A55 which is unchanged
  • Options

RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

As they say on the video, the snipers will be in the hills around him. And they said they passed security down the track before meeting him.

I've heard several stories amongst Scottish hillwalkers of meeting Chuckles alone on the hills, and of him being very friendly. It's good to see it's actually true, even when he is king.
    Chuckles? Isn’t his alter ego Brian? Or am I reading too much Private Eye?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,387
    Sunak's ratings are still better than Truss' and no other Tory leader would be polling much better.

Rather than have yet another pointless leadership election after they removed election winner Boris, the Conservatives should get behind the reduction of inflation and hence interest rates and restoration of economic growth Sunak and Hunt are focused on
  • Options

They drive about Anglesey quite a lot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunak's ratings are still better than Truss' and no other Tory leader would be polling much better.

Rather than have yet another pointless leadership election after they removed election winner Boris, the Conservatives should get behind the reduction of inflation and hence interest rates and restoration of economic growth Sunak and Hunt are focused on

There haven't been any Tory poll leads since December 6th, 2021. Seven months BEFORE Boris resigned.
  • Options
    Excellent. Easy, sure, but nonetheless - yes
  • Options
    boulay said:

I would imagine the US military might want to see how they perform in real life which is a good reason to push for sending them. It’s a good deterrent if potential enemies actually have real evidence that your systems are very effective. Think of all the talk pre war about how good Russian kit was and then how it’s performed.
    Yep, but the Europeans (at least France/UK) have won the headlines so far with yesterday's event, caught rather well on camera. The US will be playing catch-up.

And there's the risk that ATACMS doesn't get the same spectaculars. Although they are different systems (air launched versus ground launched), they are both long-range, and have the same purpose of reaching out and touching someone.

And I see CID have today been campaigning at RAF Lakenheath over nuclear weapons that *may* be there. The shits are not campaigning outside the Russian embassy, I see...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,061
    edited September 2023

Anglesey is rural and compared to a lot of North Wales does not have the population density and is not comparable and indeed has approx half the signatures of our area, Wrexham and South Wales

• Options

boulay said:

Yep, but the Europeans (at least France/UK) have won the headlines so far with yesterday's event, caught rather well on camera. The US will be playing catch-up.

And there's the risk that ATACMS doesn't get the same spectaculars. Although they are different systems (air launched versus ground launched), they are both long-range, and have the same purpose of reaching out and touching someone.

And I see CID have today been campaigning at RAF Lakenheath over nuclear weapons that *may* be there. The shits are not campaigning outside the Russian embassy, I see...
    CID? Christ the British police are worse than I thought.

Up there with Bristol Uni student Union.
  • Options
    Lovely try.
  • Options
    OH YES OH YES
  • Options

RobD said:

Leon said:

4 mins 30 secs in

Chuckles? Isn’t his alter ego Brian? Or am I reading too much Private Eye?
    I am a monarchist, but see no problem with calling him Chuckles. :)
  • Options
    sUPERB TRY
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

CID? Christ the British police are worse than I thought.

Up there with Bristol Uni student Union.
    Ahem. Yes, CND, obvs.

But as ever, they're Russia's useful fools. The pathetic little ****. They'd have had us like the Donbass if they had their way.
  • Options
    Smith surely has to stay at Full Back; put Steward on the wing
  • Options
    England are making it a tedious try-fest. How can rugby attract new followers without the attrition, grit and endurance that make the game so enthralling?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,252
    Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

For the record.....

ENG v CHI. Chile will run anything they get back at England, but England will be too strong and should win by 20-30

GEO v POR. This will be well matched – with Georgia’s physicality against Portugal’s fluid game. Georgia to eventually win by 10, but it will be close for much of the game. Portugal could even win (potential betting opportunity)

RSA v IRE. This game will be immense. Ireland are very controlled but will meet their match in South Africa, especially when they meet the ‘Bomb Squad’ in the pack. I think RSA will just be too strong for Ireland – South Africa by 6

I think England will be pleased with a solid performance and to win the game. If we win we are virtually through to the QF. A bonus point for 4 tries is unlikely.
    You are not - if Samoa beat you then 3 teams will have same win-lose ratio and it will come down to bonus points and then points difference. Same scenario Wales are facing. We will know our fate on Sunday. You have two weeks to sweat....
    Penddu2 said:

Saving this one.......

Didn't take long
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Anglesey is rural and compared to a lot of North Wales does not have the population density and is not comparable and indeed has approx half the signatures of our area, Wrexham and South Wales

I asked them about it on our weekly phone call earlier today and they said it all seemed OK, and indeed sensible.
    That’s all I’m saying.
    User’s experiences.
    I accept what you say about the rurality of the area, as opposed to, say, the Wrexham area.
  • Options

England are making it a tedious try-fest. How can rugby attract new followers without the attrition, grit and endurance that make the game so enthralling?

Yes, bring back the endless box kicks. Who needs all this champagne rugby and sparkling running?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

For the record.....

Penddu2 said:

Saving this one.......

Didn't take long
    Chile once again helping us ensure we come out on top v Argentina.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

For the record.....

Penddu2 said:

Saving this one.......

Didn't take long
    Chile once again helping us ensure we come out on top v Argentina.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Looks like Dupont is out of the whole tournament, a terrible blow for France, and a damn shame

But it does open up the World Cup even further
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,387
    edited September 2023

HYUFD said:

There haven't been any Tory poll leads since December 6th, 2021. Seven months BEFORE Boris resigned.
    The Labour lead when Boris
    resigned was half what it is now and when Truss was leader Labour were up to 30% ahead
  • Options
    Good news re the bonus point 😈
  • Options
    Leon said:

Looks like Dupont is out of the whole tournament, a terrible blow for France, and a damn shame

There’s also the chance of injuries or red cards to Ireland or the Boks tonight which will level things out for France in the long run.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Labour lead when Boris left was half what it is now and when Truss was leader Labour were up to 30% ahead
    Boris gave us Truss. He purged many of the sensible folk and left us with a Cabbage Patch Kid in charge of the nuclear deterrent.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Labour lead when Boris left was half what it is now and when Truss was leader Labour were up to 30% ahead
    Look! The wind’s blowing a straw.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    boulay said:

Leon said:

There’s also the chance of injuries or red cards to Ireland or the Boks tonight which will level things out for France in the long run.

Yes. Massive game tonight

France are really good but losing Ntamack and now DuPont (probably) - that’s their two best players? The latter maybe the best in the world?

Puts them firmly down at third favourites behind Ireland and SA

And England could easily sneak into the semis…
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Yes. Massive game tonight
    The jeopardy is more for Ireland tonight as SA have already beaten Scotland and it’s not impossible that Scotland could beat Ireland in a one-off effective knock out match so could get quite tense for the Irish. Will serve them right for wearing that horrific shade of green instead of a nice bottle green.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

resigned was half what it is now and when Truss was leader Labour were up to 30% ahead
    I wonder when his critics will admit that getting rid of Boris was a catastrophic error. I know people like to look to challenge the obvious, but ousting a charismatic incumbent who is a proven winner (you can add Cameron to Mayor Livingstone & Corbyn) only to see a humongous slide in the VI polls while both replacements personal ratings
    tank, is a ricket of biblical proportions
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,061
    edited September 2023

I asked them about it on our weekly phone call earlier today and they said it all seemed OK, and indeed sensible.
    That’s all I’m saying.
    User’s experiences.
    I accept what you say about the rurality of the area, as opposed to, say, the Wrexham area.
    I can understand the impression they have from Anglesey, but that is far removed from the experiences by the locals in North and South Wales
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,945

Rugby (union) is the sport most like war. Here’s an example: a rout, like Desert Storm or the Arab-Israeli 6 day war. Other matches - usually involving England - are more like Bakhmut or Verdun. Yet others, though all too rare and often involving France, are open and rapid yet ebb and flow, like the Korean War or Yom Kippur war.
  • Options

Wasn't there a header on PB recently showing there was more support than opposition.

There are always good reasons why someone might not meet people who admit to certain views. Could be there aren't many people with that view, or maybe the person is overbearing and people just don't want the argument. Or they only mix with people with certain views. Or they might just be lying.

Look to the polling. Or at least tell us your son's methodology.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/09/20/an-rw-welsh-poll-finds-backing-for-the-20mph-speed-limit/
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,597

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder when his critics will admit that getting rid of Boris was a catastrophic error. I know people like to look to challenge the obvious, but ousting a charismatic incumbent who is a proven winner (you can add Cameron to Mayor Livingstone & Corbyn) only to see a humongous slide in the VI polls while both replacements personal ratings
    You really can’t have a Prime Minister who is suspended from the Commons.
    The Americans may be about to have a President governing from a jail cell.

Compared to that, Boris returning while suspended would be a trivial anomaly.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,486
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps the Tory brand is so toxic now that it can’t be repaired before the next election. The vast majority of the country think Bozo is a proven liar and his political career ended after the committee just confirmed that to most sane sentient people .
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,656
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

I think plenty of French still regret getting rid of theirs.
    He also made an excellent speech in English and French to the French Senate. I stand by my judgement from last year that Charles will be another excellent Monarch - Prince Albert may be a good comparison.

https://www.france24.com/en/video/20230921-replay-king-charles-iii-addresses-french-senate
  • Options
    Fishing said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Americans may be about to have a President governing from a jail cell.

Compared to that, Boris returning while suspended would be a trivial anomaly.
    I think looking towards America to see how much worse things could be shouldn't be the limit of our ambitions.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,656
    edited September 2023

It's an interesting one.

The Chimpanzees' Tea Party is jumping up and down on Talk TV and Youtube telling each other made up stats and conspiracy theories are demanding that this is the end of the Welsh Tourist Trade, but I think that the motor-bikers who are now going to Scotland not Wales for their driving holidays may make it more attractive for most people to go to Wales.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Rugby (union) is the sport most like war. Here’s an example: a rout, like Desert Storm or the Arab-Israeli 6 day war. Other matches - usually involving England - are more like Bakhmut or Verdun. Yet others, though all too rare and often involving France, are open and rapid yet ebb and flow, like the Korean War or Yom Kippur war.
    There was an old saw that aligned the difference between American football v football/rugby with how the US v British looked at war.

In American football you use extreme power and plays to take ground and gradually inch forward, you use that huge power to ensure you keep making ten yards until you can spring the killer pass, whereas in rugby or football you needed to probe one way then go backwards and around until you find the gap you need.

The rugby analogy has probably become less pertinent now with huge forwards but I could see why such a basic comparison existed after WW2.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,991
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you doing anything specific to keep a bit of Boris in your life? Because memories fade. You think they won't but they do.
  • Options
    MattW said:

It's an interesting one.

The Chimpanzees' Tea Party is jumping up and down on Talk TV and Youtube telling each other made up stats and conspiracy theories are demanding that this is the end of the Welsh Tourist Trade, but I think that the motor-bikers who are now going to Scotland not Wales for their driving holidays may make it more attractive for most people to go to Wales.
    Fuck, I never thought about that angle.

Ok, bring back the 30mph in Wales. Drakeford out.
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I enjoy trying to game out what would happen in absurd political scenarios, but I don't know where to begin with this one.

Would the committee have been leant on to not report?

Would the Conservatives have backed their man, despite all the evidence? All of them?

Would they have kept him a bit longer before dumping him anyway?

Yes, the Good Fairy gave baby Boris many talents. The right sort of brains, charisma, ambition. But the Bad Fairy gave him the ability to lie without shame.

The combination of the two giftings got him to the top, and then knocked him off it.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    boulay said:

TimS said:

There was an old saw that aligned the difference between American football v football/rugby with how the US v British looked at war.

In American football you use extreme power and plays to take ground and gradually inch forward, you use that huge power to ensure you keep making ten yards until you can spring the killer pass, whereas in rugby or football you needed to probe one way then go backwards and around until you find the gap you need.

The rugby analogy has probably become less pertinent now with huge forwards but I could see why such a basic comparison existed after WW2.
    My favourite moments in rugby internationals are those periods of play when one side is camped in the other’s 22 for minutes on end, surging forward but being met with desperate defence. Either the try or penalty comes, or eventually the attackers concede a free kick or scrum themselves and the pressure is off - the attack has “culminated”.

There is no other sport that does this to the same degree. Yes a football team can be camped in the opposition penalty area but the ball is still being kicked around sideways and backwards, and is often hoofed up the pitch. Plus more often than not in that situation the attacking team is behind by a goal. American football stops too much, it’s not the same constant pressure.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,860
    "Hundreds of XL Bully owners mount angry protest against plan to ban their pets (after deciding to leave their dogs at home) after spate of attacks on children and passers-by sparked outrage"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12552529/XL-Bully-owners-protest-London-against-Rishi-Sunaks-ban-beloved-pets-series-vicious-attacks-leave-dogs-home.html
  • Options

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I enjoy trying to game out what would happen in absurd political scenarios, but I don't know where to begin with this one.

Would the Conservatives have backed their man, despite all the evidence? All of them?

Yes, the Good Fairy gave baby Boris many talents. The right sort of brains, charisma, ambition. But the Bad Fairy gave him the ability to lie without shame.

The combination of the two giftings got him to the top, and then knocked him off it.
    He’d have kept cocking up too. Partygate wouldn’t have been the end of it. He was already deeply unpopular with voters when he left. The Tories would almost certainly be on similar VI now under Boris. Rather like Maggie, his absence has probably helped
    him.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Wasn't there a header on PB recently showing there was more support than opposition.

There are always good reasons why someone might not meet people who admit to certain views. Could be there aren't many people with that view, or maybe the person is overbearing and people just don't want the argument. Or they only mix with people with certain views. Or they might just be lying.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/09/20/an-rw-welsh-poll-finds-backing-for-the-20mph-speed-limit/
    On that poll it is qualified by where cars mix with pedestrians and cyclists

I hope you are not inferring my son is misleading me but he works in IT in education and not one of his colleagues has a good word to say about the implementation, furthermore his friends and social contacts are the same

Ironically my son in law has just phoned and said he is not finding anyone in favour and remarked that one of the 20mph zones was 60mph not long ago

Over 400,000 signature on a Senedd petition is unprecedented and it will result in some changes to the new speed limits
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Are you doing anything specific to keep a bit of Boris in your life? Because memories fade. You think they won't but they do.
    Not specifically, I just reply to posts on here with my views
  • Options
    TimS said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He’d have kept cocking up too. Partygate wouldn’t have been the end of it. He was already deeply unpopular with voters when he left. The Tories would almost certainly be on similar VI now under Boris. Rather like Maggie, his absence has probably helped
    him.
    It’s like footballers who seem to get better the longer they have been out injured. You remember the highlights whilst forgetting the own goals and red cards.
  • Options

Farooq said:

On that poll it is qualified by where cars mix with pedestrians and cyclists

I hope you are not inferring my son is misleading me but he works in IT in education and not one of his colleagues has a good word to say about the implementation, furthermore his friends and social contacts are the same

Ironically my son in law has just phoned and said he is not finding anyone in favour and remarked that one of the 20mph zones was 60mph not long ago

Over 400,000 signature on a Senedd petition is unprecedented and it will result in some changes to the new speed limits
    If only the millions of signatories in those anti-Brexit petitions had made a jot of difference.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662
    Andy_JS said:

"Hundreds of XL Bully owners mount angry protest against plan to ban their pets (after deciding to leave their dogs at home) after spate of attacks on children and passers-by sparked outrage"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12552529/XL-Bully-owners-protest-London-against-Rishi-Sunaks-ban-beloved-pets-series-vicious-attacks-leave-dogs-home.html

Banging them all up would do wonders for the crime rates.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Hundreds?
This discussion has been closed.