Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Are we reading June’s Uxbridge by-election wrongly? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,770
edited October 2023 in General
imageAre we reading June’s Uxbridge by-election wrongly? – politicalbetting.com

The successful CON defence of Uxbridge on June 23rd is being used by many to raise doubts about current polling and whether the very large LAB leads would actually be there at a general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,290
    That could be part of it. Still a 7% swing in Uxbridge. I reckon it was:

- Demographics / differential swing (Uxbridge being one of those metroland outer burb places that doesn't feel like fertile Starmer territory - like Bexley and Sidcup)
    - ULEZ
    - Labour not being as good at byelections as the Lib Dems
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,748
    edited September 2023
    Second, and yes. But not, I think, because two by-elections were taking place together; Labour has the resources to deal with that.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,772
    For goodness sake don't tell Lab that there will be 650 seats in play come the next GE.
  • Options
    TimS said:

- Demographics / differential swing (Uxbridge being one of those metroland outer burb places that doesn't feel like fertile Starmer territory - like Bexley and Sidcup)
    - ULEZ

Also, different starting point.

Labour were starting from a fairly high base in Uxbridge- there was a high profile "Get Boris out" campaign in 2019, and at least some people will have been happier voting for a local nobody rather than the Bozzmeister.

Compared to that, there was a lot more low hanging fruit for Labour in Selby.

(Some of the "Lib Dems are brilliant at by-elections" meme is due to that. In the vast majority of constituencies, Lib Dems rightly do the square root of naff all in a General Election. They're pretty much bound to gain votes in a place where they campaign for basically the first time.)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,817
    My view is that Cons will outperform UNS in Greater London for two reasons:
    - reversion to the mean - Con has been underperforming in London for some time
    - Rishi more to London's tastes than Boris

A 7% Con to Lab swing in a GL seat shouldn't therefore be that much of a surprise in the context of a national swing of 10%.

That's not to say opposition to Khan and ULEZ won't play a part, particularly in getting the vote out. But it won't swing the dial by itself
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,492
    TOPPING said:

For goodness sake don't tell Lab that there will be 650 seats in play come the next GE.

Point of order: there won't be 650 seats in play for Labour. Heck, they won't be standing in more than about 630 of them.
  • Options
    The national polls at the time of Uxbridge implied a swing of something like 15% from the last election. I'd expect an opposition party to outperform the opinion polls in a by-election. To fall so far short has to be based on a bit more than spreading campaigning resource out.

I think ULEZ is a pretty good explanation for what happened.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

- reversion to the mean - Con has been underperforming in London for some time
    - Rishi more to London's tastes than Boris

A 7% Con to Lab swing in a GL seat shouldn't therefore be that much of a surprise in the context of a national swing of 10%.

That's not to say opposition to Khan and ULEZ won't play a part, particularly in getting the vote out. But it won't swing the dial by itself

While this is spot on, it also isn't very good news for the Conservatives.

Because a lower swing in London - where seats are already pretty safe - means bigger swings elsewhere.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,557
    edited September 2023
    I think Uxbridge is read wrongly in two respects.

Firstly, I don't think it should be read as meaning the polls are very wrong. We have plenty of other ballot box evidence, from local elections and Selby that Labour enjoys a substantial lead. It's true there are local variations - the Tories took Slough at the local elections for instance - but the broad picture does matter, and is pretty clear. It may suggest the Labour lead is a bit vulnerable in the right circumstances - that the deal isn't fully sealed. But that's different from saying the polls are very wrong.

Secondly, I think Uxbridge is wrongly read as meaning there is a strong appetite for an anti-environmentalist agenda. ULEZ was a good local issue for the Tories as it was on the brink of being introduced (so very salient) and people were worried about the impact on them and on the granny driving her Morris Minor to mass etc (some of it exagerated but that was the concerrn). It could have been another motivating local issue (HS2 in Chesham for instance) but that happened to be the issue there. I think it's a big, and potentially ruinous, leap to think that generalises nationwide.
  • Options
    Boris can generate a curious level of fondness in some people. I wonder if that played a part - a sufficient amount of people being grumpy with Labour because their lovely local boy had been forced to sling his hook.
  • Options

The national polls at the time of Uxbridge implied a swing of something like 15% from the last election. I'd expect an opposition party to outperform the opinion polls in a by-election. To fall so far short has to be based on a bit more than spreading campaigning resource out.

I think ULEZ is a pretty good explanation for what happened.

Beware of the sole actor fallacy; there's rarely just one cause.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,815
    Easy win for India (are they still called that?) against the Aussies. 276 just not a competitive score. This could be a very high scoring WC.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,700
    The ULEZ factor was key in Uxbridge.

What may help the Tories in Mid Beds is the split in the opposition vote between Labour and LD, although Labour need a bigger swing to win Tamworth since 2019 they will be helped by the limited LD campaign there
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    I like this take on the latest Menendez indictment.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2023/09/22/the-menendez-indictment-how-much-is-one-kilo-of-gold-worth-kilo-of-gold-price/
    The latest indictment of Robert Menendez almost seems like a personal challenge to Clarence Thomas, to see if there are bribes of a public official that Thomas and his cronies on the Supreme Court won’t find a way to deem constitutional.

After all, what if Thomas is getting gold bars on the side from his “friends,” as Menendez is alleged to have been?

The short version, though, is that after Menendez’ last corruption prosecution, Nadine Arslanian started dating then married Menendez. And he started doing favors for some of her friends, Wael Hanna and Fred Daibes, who had ties to Egypt, including sharing non-public information with Egyptian officials and helping Hanna secure the monopoly on halal certification for meat imported into Egypt.

The indictment alleges a lot of breath-taking stupidity on Menedez’ part, including twice searching for the price of gold after doing something incriminating...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,286
    TimS said:

- ULEZ

I agree it was a combination of those you mentioned . Labour with a better campaign could have won but hoofed the penalty over the bar !
  • Options
    So this was conducted entirely after Sunak's speech.

Rishi Sunak's net favourability score has fallen to a new low of -45

Favourable: 23% (-3 from 30-31 Aug)
    Unfavourable: 68% (+1)

He has now drawn almost level with the Conservative party's score of -48

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1705228567049596939/photo/1
  • Options
    And Sunak has lost the Blue Wall.

The number of Lib Dems with a favourable view of Rishi Sunak has halved since late August

Lib Dem voters
    Favourable: 12% (-13)
    Unfavourable: 85% (+12)

Con voters
    Favourable: 48% (+1)
    Unfavourable: 47% (-2)

Lab voters
    Fav: 6% (-3)
    Unfav: 90% (+2)

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1705228570186993887
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,284
    Cookie said:

- reversion to the mean - Con has been underperforming in London for some time...

That's not what "reversion to the mean" means, though.

It means that if through sampling error the true level of Tory support has been underestimated in the past, then it's likely that a future sample will show a higher level.

It doesn't mean that if the Tories have been unpopular in London, they won't continue to be unpopular.

• Options
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

I agree it was a combination of those you mentioned . Labour with a better campaign could have won but hoofed the penalty over the bar !
    Isn't that what they are supposed to do just now?

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
  • Options
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Labour ran a "cost of living crisis" campaign at a time when people believed (wrongly in most cases, but still) that Labour themselves were about to charge them £12.50 a day to drive their Honda. That's a difficult sell even if they'd had more bodies on the ground (and they had quite a few).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,286

The number of Lib Dems with a favourable view of Rishi Sunak has halved since late August

Lib Dem voters

Con voters

Lab voters

Perhaps it was the vomit inducing slogan on the lectern that was the final straw . I’m encouraged by that YouGov , but would like to see some more voter intention polling before I happily eat humble pie after my prediction of a few days ago .
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,284

Lib Dem voters

Con voters

Lab voters

Specifically, it's halved in a sample taken after his "net zero" U-turn was announced. Wow.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,369

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    Watching the match I am delighted that rather than try and revive his career in those sad tours of 1980’s bands, pop sensation Limahl took a different path and is turning out for Samoa at No.9.
  • Options
    It gets worse for Sunak.

According to @IpsosUK, Sunak's net approval rating (-33) on whether he's doing a good job is now lower than:

- Truss's rating after the mini budget (-32 at the end of Septembrr 2022)

- Johnson's worst ratings ever (lowest was -30), including the week he resigned.

https://twitter.com/Beyond_Topline/status/1705224691617534083/photo/1
  • Options
    I said the other day Sunak's polling is going to outdo Truss and I was right.

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The ULEZ factor was key in Uxbridge.

Tory majority cut to sub-500?
    7% swing to Lab?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,583
    edited September 2023
    FPT
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A large minority of cyclists in London ignore lights almost completely. They slow down for reds but still sail through

Then there’s the hardcore that whizz down pavements

There's quite a difference between "the vast majority" and "a large minority" though. And I'd say it's a small minority, like maybe 5%. Most weeks I cycle 60km a week and almost all cyclists obey almost every red light on my commute. The big miscreants are food delivery e bikes and couriers, who you can sort of rationalise because they're trying to get their hourly pay rate at least close to the minimum wage.
    I’m making three distinctions

The majority jump red lights
    A large minority ignores red lights - unless in danger of dying
    A small hardcore essentially obeys no laws at all: cycling on pavements, going the wrong way down one way streets, &c

Central London cyclists are not a great advert for cyclists
    Yes I would say that was about right. I would say a majority jump red lights, a large minority always ignores red lights, a small minority ignores red lights even when at risk of dying.

Funnily enough I don't come across/see pavement cycling all that much. You'd have to be an idiot to try to cycle along many London pavements, that said, at least in core central London.
    You get a fair amount of pavement cycling in Camden. I’ve learned to be wary of them - because this is how thieves snatch phones: they cycle up on to the pavement from behind you and whisk it out of your hand. Happened to me about six months ago. Infuriating
    My better half thought she'd lost her phone today. Checked by phoning it from my phone - didn't seem to be either with me at the office or her at home.
    Google find my device from her desktop PC located it at the (regular) garage we'd left in the morning. Phoned garage but they couldn't hear it when I called.
    Drove round to garage and found it under another parked customer's car slightly away from the garage's office.
    Google "find my device" a bit of a life saver.
    I was able, from here in Manhattan, to confirm that my wife had left her handbag - which for reasons contained my UK mobile phone - at Truro Railway Station, which was kind of cool.
    Did you get your phone/bag back ?
    Yes!
    Very honest people, the Cornish.
    I got my WALLET back six hours after leaving it on a bench at Camden Road station. Entirely untouched, handed in to the station staff by a “regular commuter”. Quite renewed my faith in humanity - and Londoners
    I left my wallet on a BUS at King’s Cross.
    It was handed into the driver, who finished his round and called me from the depot at the number listed on one of my business cards.

I swear this would not happen in Paris.
    Three months after having that wallet returned IN LONDON, FROM A BUSY STATION I lost it again, this time in the Al fresco cafe of a medieval castle in provincial Ukraine - Kamanets Podolskiy

This time it was not returned. Stolen
    Definitely a Russian infiltrator.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 601

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    Samoa have been let down by their kicking - but I expect an awesome second half. I predicted a Samoa win and still stand by that. A reminder that a Samoa win puts England into the QF - but an Argentina win leaves everything wide open
  • Options
    Chris said:

Lib Dem voters

Con voters

Lab voters

Specifically, it's halved in a sample taken after his "net zero" U-turn was announced. Wow.
    Sunak managed to trick a large number of broadly metro remainy centrist corporate types into thinking that he was a gentle moderate. Not because of anything he said - that was always pretty right wing - but because of vibes.

This is the same electorate that quite liked Cameron and Osborne, or at least tolerated them. Their favourite recent Lib Dem leader was Vince Cable. They hoped in vain that Rory Stewart would win the leadership election back in 2019.

I think now the scales are falling from the eyes. They hated the Tories but didn’t mind Rishi. Now they realise he’s one of them.

I know many such people. They would be natural Tory voters in past decades. They work in large corporates and are fully immersed in ESG and net zero, as an item of faith.
  • Options
    The Conservatives won't be wiped out unless Reform totally eat into their vote.

That doesn't mean they can't be reduced to 100-150 seats though.

Except more risky blow-up announcements like we had this week on Net Zero. Sunak will be very pleased at how it went, and there will be several more pre-planned.
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    Samoa have been let down by their kicking - but I expect an awesome second half. I predicted a Samoa win and still stand by that. A reminder that a Samoa win puts England into the QF - but an Argentina win leaves everything wide open
    I have a slight worry that a Samoa win gives them hope when they play England which would make it trickier (I’m sure you would find it funny) whereas if they are going home by the time they play England it might be better for England. However we don’t know if Japan can spoil Argentina’s party still.
  • Options

It gets worse for Sunak.

According to @IpsosUK, Sunak's net approval rating (-33) on whether he's doing a good job is now lower than:

- Johnson's worst ratings ever (lowest was -30), including the week he resigned.

The sudden rush of Legacy (ha!) / Not Pointless / Scrabbling for anything shiny to distract Conservative supporters rush this week makes a bit more sense.

So when does "can't ditch another PM" get overtaken by "can't keep this PM"?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

It gets worse for Sunak.

Hard to see anyway back from here. I struggle to think of a scenario in which he could prevent a Labour majority
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    edited September 2023

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

Sunak's USP was supposed to be that he was both more honest than Boris, and more reliable than Truss.
    The ridiculous net zero volte face, and its accompanying nonsensical claims have destroyed both parts of that.

FWIW, I didn't expect a great deal for him, and he would never have swayed my vote, but I'm nonetheless genuinely disappointed in him.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,748

Boris can generate a curious level of fondness in some people. I wonder if that played a part - a sufficient amount of people being grumpy with Labour because their lovely local boy had been forced to sling his hook.

Or, Boris was such a drag on the seat’s Tory vote that the fact of his disappearance immediately gave them a significant boost….
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,121
    edited September 2023
    Now this is good from Rishi, so long as he isn’t all fart and no follow through.

Rishi Sunak is considering introducing some of the world’s toughest anti-smoking measures that would in effect ban the next generation from ever being able to buy cigarettes, the Guardian has learned.

Whitehall sources said the prime minister was looking at measures similar to those brought in by New Zealand last December. They involved steadily increasing the legal smoking age so tobacco would end up never being sold to anyone born on or after 1 January 2009.

It is understood Sunak’s leadership pledge to fine people £10 for missing a GP or hospital appointment may also be back on the table, although this could be politically difficult. The idea was announced by the prime minister during his campaign in summer 2022, but appeared to have been dropped when he took office last autumn.

A New Zealand-style anti-smoking policy would mean cigarettes were phased out completely for the next generation. Under the former prime minister Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand also legislated to reduce the nicotine content of tobacco products and force them to be sold only through specialty tobacco stores, rather than convenience stores and supermarkets.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/22/rishi-sunak-considers-banning-cigarettes-for-next-generation
  • Options

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    Argentina = Labour
    Samoa = Tories
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

Sunak's USP was supposed to be that he was both more honest than Boris, and more reliable than Truss.
    The ridiculous net zero volte face, and its accompanying nonsensical claims have destroyed both parts of that.

FWIW, I didn't expect a great deal for him, and he would never have swayed my vote, but I'm nonetheless genuinely disappointed in him.
    I got the impression that Sunak’s USP, from the leadership election he lost to Truss, was that he would tell hard truths (whether you agree with the 2030/35 change). I think he’s someone who doesn’t actually disagree with Truss in the long term but was very much “you can’t do that now”. Whilst he gets criticised for being managerialist/declinist I think he’s just a cold realist who says “I want to slash taxes etc but only when the balance sheet works” or “ I want net zero but only in a way that we can take everyone along with us”.

It’s not exciting nor does it give the impression that he has an ideology but in its own way it’s more honest. Rather than promise unicorns he is more about making sure he has the lab ready to genetically create the unicorns first.

If he had come in as PM, say Cameron’s second term I think you would see a more Truss style small state, low spending, low tax approach but Covid and Ukraine made it impossible these last few years.

Having said that he might just be an empty suit, that doesn’t fit.
  • Options

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    Argentina = Labour
    Samoa = Tories
    Except that Oliver Twist didn't say "Please Sir I want Tories."

But then again, hardly anyone is.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,679
    edited September 2023
    isam said:

It gets worse for Sunak.

Hard to see anyway back from here. I struggle to think of a scenario in which he could prevent a Labour majority
    All that shows is that Boris remained an electoral asset on balance, and could have won the election (which most on here don’t get because they are blind to why he was popular) and that although the Truss net figure is similar she was much more disliked.

It means nothing without a direct comparison to, say, Cameron or Brown.

I think Brown is the comparator. Starmer is no Cameron and I reckon Brown would have turned it around* in 2010 vs a generic Tory.

*even more than he did - he did deny Cameron a majorly in similar circumstances to Sunak’s.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,639
    edited September 2023

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

Point of PB philosophical principle: is it possible for a klaxon to be modest?

On second thoughts, belay that. It's Friday and the second dog now, so I am off to see where I put the rest of the Provencal rose I started yesterday at dinner.
  • Options

Now this is good from Rishi, so long as he isn’t all fart and no follow through.

Rishi Sunak is considering introducing some of the world’s toughest anti-smoking measures that would in effect ban the next generation from ever being able to buy cigarettes, the Guardian has learned.

Whitehall sources said the prime minister was looking at measures similar to those brought in by New Zealand last December. They involved steadily increasing the legal smoking age so tobacco would end up never being sold to anyone born on or after 1 January 2009.

It is understood Sunak’s leadership pledge to fine people £10 for missing a GP or hospital appointment may also be back on the table, although this could be politically difficult. The idea was announced by the prime minister during his campaign in summer 2022, but appeared to have been dropped when he took office last autumn.

A New Zealand-style anti-smoking policy would mean cigarettes were phased out completely for the next generation. Under the former prime minister Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand also legislated to reduce the nicotine content of tobacco products and force them to be sold only through specialty tobacco stores, rather than convenience stores and supermarkets.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/22/rishi-sunak-considers-banning-cigarettes-for-next-generation

As a smoker who probably blew smoke in his face at school I would support that approach to anti-smoking so future generations never start smoking in the first place. Maybe I’m the evil that’s driving this policy in his backstory, huzzah!
  • Options

Except more risky blow-up announcements like we had this week on Net Zero. Sunak will be very pleased at how it went, and there will be several more pre-planned.

Agreed. The threat to the Tories long-term survival is from their right rather than from the Lib Dems in the centre.

And if he's the luckiest politician in history he hits on something that wrongfoots Labour and changes the game.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,936
    No, both Selby and Uxbridge can be made sense of by the relative results of local elections in 2022 - which apart from by-elections are the other type of "give the government a kicking' election in the calendar.

Both had local elections in 2022 and Labour got around 7% closer in Selby than they did in Uxbridge, despite the latter being a more marginal Westminster seat.

Now, as studies have shown, the relationship of LEs to GEs is weak, and the variable timing of LEs and the role of independents can muddy the waters considerably, but I do think where you have a good baseline looking at the locals is a very helpful data point in reading by-elections specifically.

• Options

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

If and when the Tories get to the 14-19% they were polling in some polls under Truss maybe, they aren't there yet
  • Options
    boulay said:

Penddu2 said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

- ULEZ

Argentina 13 Samoa 3
    I have a slight worry that a Samoa win gives them hope when they play England which would make it trickier (I’m sure you would find it funny) whereas if they are going home by the time they play England it might be better for England. However we don’t know if Japan can spoil Argentina’s party still.
    Mildly amusing...at least
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,679

Agreed. The threat to the Tories long-term survival is from their right rather than from the Lib Dems in the centre.

And if he's the luckiest politician in history he hits on something that wrongfoots Labour and changes the game.
    From 97-06 many wrote the Tory obituary. From 2015-2021 many wrote Labour’s. The truth is the big two are sticky, and it takes a lot to kill a main party. The old Liberals were killed by poor coalition decisions and the one in 500 year event of the rise of organised labour.
  • Options

It gets worse for Sunak.

So more thought Boris was doing a good job as PM when he left office than thought Truss was doing a good job when she left and think Sunak is doing a good job now
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,936
    TimS said:

So the election may be decided by the corporate blue wallers in the South East, and the disillusioned red wallers in the North.

However, Uxbridge (and Leicester, and Slough and elsewhere) points towards a bunch of Astérix-style holdouts where the normal UNS rules don’t apply. There’s a demographic we should get familiar with: Bexley bloke / Uxbridge uomo.

BB and UU inhabit similar milieu and have similar economic positions and world views: 1930s outer suburbs, car owning, mid to late middle age, largely self-employed. Mainly white but also Asian (Hindu, possibly Sikh though with the Canada thing that gets tricky). Not obviously affected by Brexit, nor with any great affinity for Europe. More likely to holiday in Florida than France. Probably voted Brexit, mainly because of Brussels bureaucracy.

Didn’t expect or need any levelling up because they’re not in the right region. Not that wedded to public services, and both would put the kids in private school if they could. See the USA as a reasonable model of self sufficiency.

Mildly poujadiste, but never hard core far right.

I might do a bit of a scour of the seats to identify ones with these characteristics then see if there is constituency level betting available.

I suspect there's a few Brum seats that fit the bill, though I'm not convinced many seats will behave like this in points further north.
  • Options

You're both right, dammit.

Losing Teal-types leads to a defeat (see Australia). Losing meaningful numbers of voters to Reform leads to a rout (see Canada).

If that is Sunak's calculation, the next year is going to be ugly.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,411
    Carnyx said:

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

Point of PB philosophical principle: is it possible for a klaxon to be modest?

On second thoughts, belay that. It's Friday and the second dog now, so I am off to see where I put the rest of the Provencal rose I started yesterday at dinner.
    How does that work - you started it yesterday and there's still some left today?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,846
    edited September 2023
    https://www.doughtystreet.co.uk/news/sweden-extradition-request-discharged-article-8-grounds

Always fascinating to read legal stories from barristers chambers. Here - on my reading - it appears that a Tunisian asylum seeker in the UK cannot be sent to serve a prison sentence in Sweden for multiple thefts because it has been concluded that he needs to stay in the UK to look after his wife and son and, because the offences in Sweden took place long ago (2020), the court in Sweden could not have taken in to account at the point of sentencing him to jail caring responsibilities that have manifested themselves in the intervening time.

"The requested person was subject of a conviction warrant, arising from multiple convictions for theft committed in Sweden, occurring in 2018 and 2020. The requested person was due to serve 1 year and 4 months in Swedish prison.

Following his convictions, the requested person and his young family relocated to Tunisia, his country of origin. Whilst they were in Tunisia, he and his wife experienced mistreatment due to their beliefs. Consequently, the requested person and his family relocated to the UK in November 2021 and made a claim for asylum from Tunisia, during which time, the warrant was issued.

The defence challenged the request on the sole ground of the Article 8 rights of the requested person and his and extradition subsequently being disproportionate.... In discharging the request on the Article 8 grounds, District Judge Sternberg, noted that the health of the wife and son of the requested person, which was a compelling factor, post-dated the Swedish Courts’ sentencing decisions. As such, the court were not able to conclude the sentencing court in this jurisdiction would likely impose a custodial sentence rather than a community-based sentence, which was deemed relevant to the proportionality exercise in this case..."

Perhaps one for the lurking journalists to pick up on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon

If and when the Tories get to the 14-19% they were polling in some polls under Truss maybe, they aren't there yet
    Loving the 'yet'
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,827
    All 3 of these by-elections could be very close, with recounts.
  • Options
    I think it’s too early to tell whether Rishi’s new dividing line can be seen in the polls.

Typically it takes a week or two for these things to play out.

Of course I think it’s deceitful and short-sighted, but I’m not a swing voter. I think there’s decent anecdotal evidence to suggest that it has sent an effective dog whistle to “Gravesend Gammon” who might have drifted away from the Tories since Boris’s ouster.
  • Options

You're both right, dammit.

Losing Teal-types leads to a defeat (see Australia). Losing meaningful numbers of voters to Reform leads to a rout (see Canada).

If that is Sunak's calculation, the next year is going to be ugly.
    Let’s be clear.

Sunak has realised there is no polling reward for being “strong and stable”, so we’re in for a set of crass and inherently mendacious dividing lines designed for cheerleaders at GBNews.

It’s going to feel a bit whip-lashy though because Sunak is not good at this, and frankly there’s no ideological consistency to make any of it coherent. For example, what does “Gravesend Gammon” think about an effective abolition of cigarette smoking suggested above?
  • Options

One of the best responses from Labour may well be sheer ridicule.

Boris was passing off his bullshit as a joke, and so it was hard to rebut it with mockery. Sunak doesn’t have that “skill”.

The idea that Sunak has “banned” a “meat tax” surely invites multiple piss-take memes.

"Were you thinking about introducing a meat tax?

Rishi Sunak was."
  • Options
    Argentina improved massively on their England performance - but Samoa could have won if not for their continual missed passes at 9/10 (and inability to kick penalties). Argentina and Samoa will both rue not picking up any bonus points
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,783
    edited September 2023

I think it’s too early to tell whether Rishi’s new dividing line can be seen in the polls.

Typically it takes a week or two for these things to play out.

Of course I think it’s deceitful and short-sighted, but I’m not a swing voter. I think there’s decent anecdotal evidence to suggest that it has sent an effective dog whistle to “Gravesend Gammon” who might have drifted away from the Tories since Boris’s ouster.

I expect the first indication will be the by elections

To hope polls done yesterday and today to show any trend from what was a major announcement is unrealistic

Personally, I expect a modest uplift but not enough to worry labour
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,046

Boris was passing off his bullshit as a joke, and so it was hard to rebut it with mockery. Sunak doesn’t have that “skill”.

The idea that Sunak has “banned” a “meat tax” surely invites multiple piss-take memes.

Yeah, and Sunak has an air of "kick me"-type neediness about him, doesn't he? So mockery would likely be a pretty potent weapon against him.

There's the danger that it might look like bullying if Starmer were to do it, though - it's something that might best be left to Rayner.
  • Options

I think this is right. Everything about the change in policy invites derision - the emergency cabinet meeting, stopping things that weren't happening, the idea that anything announced was going to help at all with the decline in living standards, trying not to mention that it was Conservative government policy that was being changed.

It could be an Emperor's New Clothes moment after which it would be impossible for the voters to take seriously anything the government says or does, because all of their credibility would be gone.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,953
    edited September 2023
    AlsoLei said:

Yeah, and Sunak has an air of "kick me"-type neediness about him, doesn't he? So mockery would likely be a pretty potent weapon against him.

There's the danger that it might look like bullying if Starmer were to do it, though - it's something that might best be left to Rayner.
    I like this last point.

I’m not a big fan of Rayner, but she can do “bantz”.
    Starmer is best taking the higher ground and should focus on confident rebuttal, increasingly important now he is commonly understood as PM-in-waiting.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,480

It gets worse for Sunak.

Haha!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,164
    Labour’s and Starmer’s own ratings are surprisingly poor, but they’re saved by Sunak’s and the Conservatives’ being much worse.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak was."
    You can build on this by suggesting that it is Rishi’s Tories - not Starmer’s Labour - who is vague on policy.

Did you know Rishi was considering a tax on meat?
    What else is he planning?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641
    ….
  • Options

….

... --- ...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641
    AlsoLei said:

The Basic Instinct gambit, this time not with the pins, but with the stiletto.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,108
    Just read the story about the toddler in Portugal not being repatriated from Faro to Cardiff. I understand the parents are very concerned but I can't see what a Cardiff hospital would be able to do that a Faro one couldn't.
    I smashed my face into a glass table when I was about 4 in Portugal and my parents reckoned the treatment I received was probably better than I'd have had in the UK. Now this was in 1985 but I think Portuguese and UK healthcare on this sort of thing would be close enough. The toddler is not in Africa.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919

Rishi Sunak was."
    You can build on this by suggesting that it is Rishi’s Tories - not Starmer’s Labour - who is vague on policy.

Did you know Rishi was considering a tax on meat?
    What else is he planning?
    Who knows what he's planning - he doesn't.

He got into politics to be a big cheese - he didn't expect to actually have to do politics. Reviewing all of the policy areas (which he seems to want to do) is entirely the right course, but cereal-packet popularity solutions once you've done that... I think not.

(As an aside, do cereal packets still have printed on them whatever it was they used to have? I recall they used to have some big things, but I've forgotten quite what!)
  • Options

But it's a longer-term trap for Labour because any time a friendly think tank floats any similar policy in the future, it can all be thrown back at them.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Labour’s and Starmer’s own ratings are surprisingly poor, but they’re saved by Sunak’s and the Conservatives’ being much worse.

It's like 2019 in reverse.

Boris Johnson's ratings were dire, compared to historical standards, for a PM at a general, particularly a new PM, but Corbyn's ratings gave Johnson that 80 seat majority.
  • Options
    I said this back in June:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4433219/#Comment_4433219

"Usually I would agree, however, there is in Britain a new four party (I include the SNP and Lib Dems) political consensus based around a set of deeply unpopular and economically harmful policies, largely the result of politicians (and administrators) agreeing to things at international symposia.

This is why Starmer hasn't sealed the deal and isn't trusted or liked. Whilst he's hamstrung with these terrible policies (support for ulez, stratospheric green levies, destroying the UK's oil industry, open door immigration), he will always be vulnerable to the first party to espouse a more popular agenda, be it Nigel, or (as they did successfully before) the Tories robbing Nigel's clothes."

There are more of these dividing lines, if Sunak and his team are brave enough to exploit them, and do so with conviction and seriousness. He's sort of done it on green - though the execution hasn't been flawless.

Starmer has now been captured on film stating that he's against any divergence from EU law. As the heir presumptive, if he wasn't already an EU devotee, he's expected to align the UK closely with the EU with a view to joining Macron's new 'outer group' and potentially going all the way back in. Sunak could ban EU supertrawlers from UK waters - a policy that is environmentally-sound and beneficial to the UK fishing industry. Starmer wouldn't be able to follow.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Indeed, which is encouraging for whoever becomes Leader of the Opposition for the Conservatives assuming the Tories lose the next general election.

When Blair won in 1997 and Cameron won in 2010 and took their parties from opposition to government, their ratings with the public were significantly higher than Starmer's are now
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,480
    TimS said:

So the election may be decided by the corporate blue wallers in the South East, and the disillusioned red wallers in the North.

However, Uxbridge (and Leicester, and Slough and elsewhere) points towards a bunch of Astérix-style holdouts where the normal UNS rules don’t apply. There’s a demographic we should get familiar with: Bexley bloke / Uxbridge uomo.

BB and UU inhabit similar milieu and have similar economic positions and world views: 1930s outer suburbs, car owning, mid to late middle age, largely self-employed. Mainly white but also Asian (Hindu, possibly Sikh though with the Canada thing that gets tricky). Not obviously affected by Brexit, nor with any great affinity for Europe. More likely to holiday in Florida than France. Probably voted Brexit, mainly because of Brussels bureaucracy.

Didn’t expect or need any levelling up because they’re not in the right region. Not that wedded to public services, and both would put the kids in private school if they could. See the USA as a reasonable model of self sufficiency.

I might do a bit of a scour of the seats to identify ones with these characteristics then see if there is constituency level betting available.

I wouldn't read too much into the Leicester LE results for the Tories. The seats actually went in several directions, and for reasons not generalisable. There was the reaction to Mayor Soulsby autocratically purging the Labour candidates a few weeks earlier, the aftermath of the Hindutva/Muslim Street disturbances of a year ago, and the Webbe fiasco.

There may well be a swing much less than national average, but Leicester East is not going to be a Con gain.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,046

AlsoLei said:

The Basic Instinct gambit, this time not with the pins, but with the stiletto.
    I'm sure Ange can pick out a pair of suitably-ridiculous Irregular Choice boots to do the kicking....
  • Options

I said this back in June:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4433219/#Comment_4433219

"Usually I would agree, however, there is in Britain a new four party (I include the SNP and Lib Dems) political consensus based around a set of deeply unpopular and economically harmful policies, largely the result of politicians (and administrators) agreeing to things at international symposia.

This is why Starmer hasn't sealed the deal and isn't trusted or liked. Whilst he's hamstrung with these terrible policies (support for ulez, stratospheric green levies, destroying the UK's oil industry, open door immigration), he will always be vulnerable to the first party to espouse a more popular agenda, be it Nigel, or (as they did successfully before) the Tories robbing Nigel's clothes."

There are more of these dividing lines, if Sunak and his team are brave enough to exploit them, and do so with conviction and seriousness. He's sort of done it on green - though the execution hasn't been flawless.

Starmer has now been captured on film stating that he's against any divergence from EU law. As the heir presumptive, if he wasn't already an EU devotee, he's expected to align the UK closely with the EU with a view to joining Macron's new 'outer group' and potentially going all the way back in. Sunak could ban EU supertrawlers from UK waters - a policy that is environmentally-sound and beneficial to the UK fishing industry. Starmer wouldn't be able to follow.

Brexit didn't necessarily entail burning every damn boat.

The UK clearly should be closely aligned with the EU and (now) entirely independent.

• Options
    TimS said:

Yes this is a good call. There's a bunch of people like this, who just don't do collectivist/statist solutions, see themselves as self-sufficient and self-made, don't want to pay for other people's mistakes/misfortune but aren't especially malignant or malign. Probably similar to a lot of people on here minus the interest in politics. I know plenty of them myself. They'll probably never vote Labour but might sit it out if the Tories have shat the bed completely.
    In the US it's this group that swung 2016 for Trump. The MAGA true believers can't win it for him on their own. But you add in the folk who just want the government to leave them alone and aren't imaginative or interested enough to appreciate how dangerous Trump is and he gets over the line.
  • Options

I have unofficial confirmation from 🇺🇦 sources: Black Sea Fleet commander Admiral Viktor #Sokolov was killed in today’s strike in #Sevastopol.

https://x.com/berlin_bridge/status/1705282007398252841

I guess he must have panicked and tried to leave via a window.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,836

Idle thought: using Electoral Calculus there's a point (around Con 23%, LD 14%, Lab 45%) where the LDs win more seats than the Tories and become the official opposition, at which point presumably the Tory press will be crying foul and demanding PR.

Worth it just for the irony.

Oh I so wish.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I have unofficial confirmation from 🇺🇦 sources: Black Sea Fleet commander Admiral Viktor #Sokolov was killed in today’s strike in #Sevastopol.

Porthole I hope.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Looks like the HQ building lost a lot of windows as a result of the missile strike.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,547
    My new canon printer?

Why Thankyou. Working like a dream

I give it 3 weeks before it goes catastrophically wrong and requires 5 hours of helpless rebooting
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,307
    Omnium said:

No, he was trampled to death by an extinct breed of ground sloth. On the ceiling of his bathroom.

#SMERSHWithStyle
  • Options

Idle thought: using Electoral Calculus there's a point (around Con 23%, LD 14%, Lab 45%) where the LDs win more seats than the Tories and become the official opposition, at which point presumably the Tory press will be crying foul and demanding PR.

Worth it just for the irony.

FPTP brings more dramatic swings however.

In 1993 for example the Canadian Tories won just 2 seats after losing power in a landslide defeat, ending up 5th on seats behind the Liberals, BQ, Reform and NDP.

Yet by 2006 the Canadian Conservatives won 124 seats and most seats and by 2011 166 seats and a majority
  • Options
    The shitness of printers is an odd thing. I don’t know of any other major machine that everyone regards with such justified mistrust, on the grounds of constant failure

Imagine if microwaves or washing machines went wrong all the time. It would get fixed

Is there something in the technology of basic domestic printers that means they can’t be made reliable? Are the manufacturers knowingly selling dud products?

Otherwise there is surely room for a new printer manufacturer to step in and say “here, try this, it almost never goes wrong”. Boom
  • Options
    I know Moscow is further away than Sevastopol, and will be better protected, but if Ukraine can hit the Black Sea Fleet Headquarters and kill the commander of the Black Sea Fleet after 19 months of war, how many months until they have the means of hitting army headquarters for the invasion in Rostov-on-Don and killing the Chief of the General Staff, or the Kremlin in Moscow and killing Putin himself?

Might this be the first time that Putin would stay to feel the first stirrings of fear that Ukraine are able to threaten his life directly?
  • Options
    Leon said:

My new canon printer?

I give it 3 weeks before it goes catastrophically wrong and requires 5 hours of helpless rebooting

It is very odd that you can buy miraculous printers for a couple of hundred pounds. Just wonderful. Somehow the clever designers never managed to perfect the reasonably priced ink-cartridge though.
  • Options

I know Moscow is further away than Sevastopol, and will be better protected, but if Ukraine can hit the Black Sea Fleet Headquarters and kill the commander of the Black Sea Fleet after 19 months of war, how many months until they have the means of hitting army headquarters for the invasion in Rostov-on-Don and killing the Chief of the General Staff, or the Kremlin in Moscow and killing Putin himself?

Might this be the first time that Putin would stay to feel the first stirrings of fear that Ukraine are able to threaten his life directly?

Indeed

I’m also surprised, however, that the Russians haven’t really tried to take out Zelensky

I suspect there might be a tacit agreement between them. Don’t kill the leader
  • Options

POOWAS.

Poor Old Orc What A Shame.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,898
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

It gets worse for Sunak.

So more thought Boris was doing a good job as PM when he left office than thought Truss was doing a good job when she left and think Sunak is doing a good job now
    Still apologist for the Liar King? He is the principle reason the Tories are in such dire straits now, because he created the toxic environment for Liz Truss to become PM and try out her amoeba-brain economics experiment.
  • Options
    Leon said:

My new canon printer?

Nobody cares
  • Options
    Leon said:

The shitness of printers is an odd thing. I don’t know of any other major machine that everyone regards with such justified mistrust, on the grounds of constant failure

Imagine if microwaves or washing machines went wrong all the time. It would get fixed

Is there something in the technology of basic domestic printers that means they can’t be made reliable? Are the manufacturers knowingly selling dud products?

Otherwise there is surely room for a new printer manufacturer to step in and say “here, try this, it almost never goes wrong”. Boom

I think the problem is that they make their margins on the ink but are in a constant battle with cheap non-branded alternatives.

To combat this, they try to make sure the printer only works with official ink cartridges, but if the protection mechanism gets hacked then they lose their revenue stream, so it's better to make the printers unreliable and cheap.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Indeed

I’m also surprised, however, that the Russians haven’t really tried to take out Zelensky

Definitely not. Putin will be trying every measure he can to kill Zelensky. Thankfully so far they have failed
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

My new canon printer?

It is very odd that you can buy miraculous printers for a couple of hundred pounds. Just wonderful. Somehow the clever designers never managed to perfect the reasonably priced ink-cartridge though.
    Printers, fascinating case study in technology that hasn’t improved for decades.

I suppose it’s the very physical inkiness that makes them problematic. But they are also shit at linking with other devices on wifi and various other things.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Indeed

Its cute that you think anyone could or would make any agreement with Putin and expect it to be honoured.

If Putin thought he could kill Zelensky then he would, and no agreement would stop him. The only reason he hasn't is because he can't.
This discussion has been closed.