Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

FT reporting that BoJo found to have committed “multiple contempts” – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,808
edited June 2023 in General
FT reporting that BoJo found to have committed “multiple contempts” – politicalbetting.com

EXCL: Boris Johnson has been found to have committed ‘multiple’ contempts of Parliament in privileges cmtte report out tomorrow, according to people close to inquiry. From me & @GeorgeWParker https://t.co/cUn2gVGsZ9

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,543
    Of no doubt to anybody who watched his testimony to the Committee.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Savanta has a 17 point Labour lead
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,686
    “Disclosing the outcome of the inquiry is itself a contempt of parliament. It is clear cut, it does not require further investigation,” source said.

Does that include leaking the results of the inquiry to the FT? ;)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,012
    Can I thank the desperate for their contributions to this thread overnight in defence of their fallen leader? I include Simon Ding Dong Clarke alongside Moonrabbit and HYUFD - desperate, deluded, detached from reality.

Boris! lied to parliament. Repeatedly. Openly. Deliberately. A committee which has very senior and respected Tory Brexiteer MPs on it has examined all the evidence and is presenting its findings to parliament.

Boris! and his toadying lickspittles decided not to hang around for the report - because then you have to defend. Instead he flounces off and denies the validity of the committee. The last minute "Jenkin is a Bad Man" attempt is simply the very last flail before showtime. Baseless, irrelevant, ignorant.

If as they allege Boris is innocent (and will lovingly continue to do casework!!!!), why did he not await the judgement of the Commons? His party has a huge majority thanks to Boris! Surely the morons and lickspittles would vote down such an invalid report against an innocent man?

And even if Sunak decided to wash his hands like Pilot, that doesn't mean there would be a recall election, and if there was would not an innocent man rise like Lazarus and be reaffirmed in triumph?

No. Because Boris! is a coward. And his supporters are cowards too.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,268

Test

If it's of character, Johnson seems to have comprehensively failed it.
  • Options
    From the FT's article (love my subscription!):

"Conservative MPs Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg and Dame Andrea Jenkyns, both close allies of Johnson, have branded the committee’s inquiry a “kangaroo court”."

There really needs to be a rethink here. Boris Johnson has flounced away from parliament having disgraced himself. Contempt for parliament - on repeated occasions - and criminality is not the behaviour of a former PM who deserves to be respected.

Yet two of his lickspittles are here grifting for him with their "honours".

The Boris! honours list needs to be suspended. That we have "Dame" Andrea Mince defaming parliament is in itself a contempt of parliament.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,328
    At least we have yet to descend to the level of the US. The Privileges committee maintains more than a veneer of cross party seriousness, despite the best efforts of Boris and his (fortunately incompetent) team of ratfuckers.

Over there, yet another baseless attempt to censure Adam Schiff runs into the sand - and George Santos.

All 5 House Democrats on the Ethics Committee voted “present” to table the motion (makes sense to stay away from the fray)

but so did “George Santos” after tweeting that he was going to censure Schiff

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1669087930793742336

Imagine, an ethics committee with Santos as a member. On which he's the closest thing the GOP has to a voice of reason.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,328

"Conservative MPs Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg and Dame Andrea Jenkyns, both close allies of Johnson, have branded the committee’s inquiry a “kangaroo court”."

There really needs to be a rethink here. Boris Johnson has flounced away from parliament having disgraced himself. Contempt for parliament - on repeated occasions - and criminality is not the behaviour of a former PM who deserves to be respected.

The Boris! honours list needs to be suspended. That we have "Dame" Andrea Mince defaming parliament is in itself a contempt of parliament.

There was a third Boris knight on the Today program doing the same this morning.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,008

Good morning from another beautiful day in the Isle of Man

Only have limited Internet access but I could not agree with you more

We all deserve so much better than the malign Johnson with his appalling honours list and his sycophants

Sunak refused to comment earlier as he has not seen the report but once published he needs to state Johnson will not stand for the conservative party again, suspend the whip from Dorries, and endorse any sanctions proposed to other conservative mps

He has one opportunity to cleanse the party of Johnson and others and now is that opportunity
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,137
    Good morning, everyone.

Andrea Jenkyns is my MP. Hmm. Not inclined to vote for a kangaroo enthusiast.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,998

Test

In re muscle/fat debate engaged in by other folk on PB, I notice that while they wait, BTL commenters on the Guardian are extensively dissecting Mr Johnson's athletic abilities and how far he actually runs when the cameras are not looking. At least one demand for a camera crew to follow him for the entirety of his athletic excursion.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Andrea Jenkyns is my MP. Hmm. Not inclined to vote for a kangaroo enthusiast.

Not a kangaroo enthusiast, but a macropod-slanderer, surely?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,295
    Ghedebrav said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

Trump's primary lead grows post-indictment:

https://pro.morningconsult.com/trackers/2024-gop-primary-election-tracker

The Republican primary electorate is fundamentally mental. Its like a the largest cult we have ever seen.

Trump 42% Biden 42% in the same poll and Biden 43% DeSantis 39%

The country has lost its mind . At this point Trump could shoot someone and his poll ratings amongst GOP voters would go up.

As he said himself, years ago, about shooting someone in Times Square, I think.

He’s unlocked a cheat code in the collective consciousness of the USA, wherein he can literally do no wrong. Trump-the-man is irrelevant; it’s Trump-the-concept that matters. He’s kind of a genius, in a nasty, twisted and mean way.

FWIW I think Biden and the Dems are making a mistake by running Old Man Joe against him.

DJT vs JRB are just about level in the most recent polling. I feel, though I have no particular rational basis for the thought, that a long campaign better favour's DJT's brand of shithousery than JRB's air of gentle confusion.

We are in for epic entertainment though in this campaign though.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,511

Bringing together a couple of themes from the last thread, Boris and his cronies are trying to Trump their way out of this situation by denouncing the institutions and regulations themselves.

However, while he certainly has been a 'Heineken Tory' from a campaigning POV, he is not 'Britain Trump'; he doesn't have the Trump cheat code rendering him immune to public opprobrium for his misdeeds. Indeed, outside of his true believers - as the polling shows - he is now pretty widely viewed negatively and these shenanigans will only continue to drive his numbers down. They look desperate and grubby. Multiple contempts indeed.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,787
    I wonder what would have been the recommendation of the Priviliges Committee had Boris remained as PM up until today? My guess is they would either have ruled that he misled parliament unintentionally and recommended less than 10 days suspension or that parliament would have voted against approving 10 days and instead would have approved a shorter suspension - if they can do that? For the Privileges Committee, with a Tory majority, to effectively recommend that the sitting PM needs to resign, would have been a very big call to have made.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

There was a third Boris knight on the Today program doing the same this morning.
    Sunak tried to deflect questions away yesterday: "yebbut Tom Watson".

It isn't about whether such people have been approved by the appointments committee. It is whether they should have been proposed at all. Watson is divisive but as a former deputy LOTO he should have been proposed - up to the committee whether to accept him or not. Bercow is similarly divisive, ex speaker so again should have been proposed. Was rejected (rightly).

The problem with Johnson's list is that these people should not have been proposed. Rees-Mogg lied to the Queen. Ermine for the party DJ the night before the Queen sat alone at the funeral, and for his notdaughter. Why? On what grounds are these people fit to be proposed for anything? Rees-Mogg then doubles down by committing a contempt of parliament by means of thanks.

The entire list is uniquely suspect. I know Labour are attacking the forthcoming Truss list and Truss was a disaster. But other bad PMs have made a list - and so far at least Truss hasn't egregiously held parliament in contempt and tried to appoint family members to the Other Place.
  • Options

We all deserve so much better than the malign Johnson with his appalling honours list and his sycophants

Sunak refused to comment earlier as he has not seen the report but once published he needs to state Johnson will not stand for the conservative party again, suspend the whip from Dorries, and endorse any sanctions proposed to other conservative mps

He has one opportunity to cleanse the party of Johnson and others and now is that opportunity
    He appears to be frit. Sadly. Rees-Mogg and Jenkyns have held parliament in contempt. That they get to keep their baubles does the work for people like me who hold the entire concept of knighthoods to be an anachronism.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,399
    @BestForBritain

Sky: Can we talk about the report?
    Sunak: Report?
    Sky: Into Johnson.
    Sunak: I haven't seen it.
    Sky: Everyone knows what's in it.
    Sunak: I don't.
    Sky: Can we talk about it once you've seen it?
    Sunak: Seen what?
    Sky: The report.
    Sunak: I'd rather talk about illegal migration. ~AA

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1669241068699648000
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,653
    I know Johnson doesn’t have a cynical or devious bone in his body but if he did, and obviously he is not remotely shifty, then a really clever plan to distract from the elevation of Charlotte Owen would be leading on Nads about a peerage knowing it wouldn’t happen and would erupt to take over the “honours” list part of the news cycle rather than why someone with very little public service, notable ability and little obvious merit would rise from nowhere to be a permanent member of the UK legislature.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,721
    Dura_Ace said:

Ghedebrav said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

The Republican primary electorate is fundamentally mental. Its like a the largest cult we have ever seen.

The country has lost its mind . At this point Trump could shoot someone and his poll ratings amongst GOP voters would go up.

He’s unlocked a cheat code in the collective consciousness of the USA, wherein he can literally do no wrong. Trump-the-man is irrelevant; it’s Trump-the-concept that matters. He’s kind of a genius, in a nasty, twisted and mean way.

FWIW I think Biden and the Dems are making a mistake by running Old Man Joe against him.

DJT vs JRB are just about level in the most recent polling. I feel, though I have no particular rational basis for the thought, that a long campaign better favour's DJT's brand of shithousery than JRB's air of gentle confusion.

We know the result last time. It’s hard to see many voters switching from Biden to Trump. It’s easy to see Trump voters switching to not voting, or independents switching to Biden.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I wonder what would have been the recommendation of the Priviliges Committee had Boris remained as PM up until today? My guess is they would either have ruled that he misled parliament unintentionally and recommended less than 10 days suspension or that parliament would have voted against approving 10 days and instead would have approved a shorter suspension - if they can do that? For the Privileges Committee, with a Tory majority, to effectively recommend that the sitting PM needs to resign, would have been a very big call to have made.

Boris! committed multiple and egregious contempts of parliament whilst sitting as the PM. The very worst offences possible. So a recommendation of a big suspension was a given if the committee had impartially looked at the evidence.

But that is a *recommendation*. It is up to the Commons what to impose. And the Tories have a big majority. They like grift and corruption, so surely they would have considered the option of not imposing sanction. Reports in the media that FritSunak will whip his MPs to "note" the findings not pass them.

This is why the Boris! flounce is so absurd, and the Kangaroo Court claims made by the disgraced even more absurd. Today we could have had a statement in the House from Boris! Mea culpa, honestly did not purposefully do so, accept the report, sadder and wiser engine and all that. FritSunak whips against implementing the report, bit of consternation and uproar then a dead cat pivot onto doing battle against the evil Lords refusing to let Braverman drown children.
  • Options

He appears to be frit. Sadly. Rees-Mogg and Jenkyns have held parliament in contempt. That they get to keep their baubles does the work for people like me who hold the entire concept of knighthoods to be an anachronism.
    Not sure I agree about Sunak

He is consistent in refusing to comment on speculation and wants to see the report first, which is sensible and professional if frustrating to the 'gotcha' journalists we suffer from in todays media

The test will be how he reacts and it is his moment if he takes the correct decisons
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It isn't about whether such people have been approved by the appointments committee. It is whether they should have been proposed at all. Watson is divisive but as a former deputy LOTO he should have been proposed - up to the committee whether to accept him or not. Bercow is similarly divisive, ex speaker so again should have been proposed. Was rejected (rightly).

The problem with Johnson's list is that these people should not have been proposed. Rees-Mogg lied to the Queen. Ermine for the party DJ the night before the Queen sat alone at the funeral, and for his notdaughter. Why? On what grounds are these people fit to be proposed for anything? Rees-Mogg then doubles down by committing a contempt of parliament by means of thanks.

The entire list is uniquely suspect. I know Labour are attacking the forthcoming Truss list and Truss was a disaster. But other bad PMs have made a list - and so far at least Truss hasn't egregiously held parliament in contempt and tried to appoint family members to the Other Place.
    True. She was bonkers and rubbish, but not vindictive or corrupt. I mean, ideally you wouldn't want this to be your options for PM in the first place, but here we are.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Rishi needs some sort of answer to that "Only Boris can save us" article he wrote in summer 2019.

I'm sure an answer exists, but the question needs to be asked and answered.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,158
    Ghedebrav said:

Bringing together a couple of themes from the last thread, Boris and his cronies are trying to Trump their way out of this situation by denouncing the institutions and regulations themselves.

However, while he certainly has been a 'Heineken Tory' from a campaigning POV, he is not 'Britain Trump'; he doesn't have the Trump cheat code rendering him immune to public opprobrium for his misdeeds. Indeed, outside of his true believers - as the polling shows - he is now pretty widely viewed negatively and these shenanigans will only continue to drive his numbers down. They look desperate and grubby. Multiple contempts indeed.
    He is Britain’s Trump. He is a grifting liar who does not believe the rules apply to him and he rose to the highest office in the land because those who knew what he was decided it didn’t matter. Thankfully, though, the UK is not the US, despite the efforts of culture warriors on the right and left. The conditions necessary for the nationalist, populism that both Trump and Johnson latched onto to thrive long-term do not currently exist here.

• Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Rishi needs some sort of answer to that "Only Boris can save us" article he wrote in summer 2019.

Since Keir Starmer isn't allowed to go back on what he's said in the past, it can be assumed Weak Rishi still believes only Boris Johnson can save us
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Ghedebrav said:

nico679 said:

HYUFD said:

WillG said:

We know the result last time. It’s hard to see many voters switching from Biden to Trump. It’s easy to see Trump voters switching to not voting, or independents switching to Biden.
    It's also easier to see a health event seriously affect one or even both of them this time.

Most grimly entertaining of all would be for the GOP to try to be sensible and bar Trump, run a Trump-lite weirdo like DeSantis and then have Donnie run as an independent.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,379
    edited June 2023
    Good morning fellow pb-ers! And a bright, sunny one, it is too!

Can we have an end to this in the shilly-shallying over the committees report? Please! There have been leaks, counter-leaks and further evidence ad nauseam. Get the wretched thing published and be done with it. The main author of our troubles has resigned, and with a bit of luck. Won’t be coming back any time soon.
    Let us move on somewhere else!
    Preferably to Rejoin.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

And Sunak is correct

This is the stupidity of media demanding answer to a report not published

Attack Sunak if he doesnt act, but not before the report is published and on the basis of media speculation

This is actually grown up politics
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Nigelb said:

True. She was bonkers and rubbish, but not vindictive or corrupt. I mean, ideally you wouldn't want this to be your options for PM in the first place, but here we are.
    She was pretty vindictive- look at the lack of Sunakites in her cabinet. Even Mordaunt got a bit of a non-job, for all the sword holding opportunities.

Not as vindictive as BoJo, but that's a low bar to cross.
  • Options
    Can someone explain the difference between Andrea Jenkyns and Nadine Dorries situations. Both are sitting MPs. Both were names put forward by Boris to be ennobled. One was approved by HOLAC but not the other. Something to do with vetting. Is the difference that Jenkyns is/was a minister??
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,802
    boulay said:

I know Johnson doesn’t have a cynical or devious bone in his body but if he did, and obviously he is not remotely shifty, then a really clever plan to distract from the elevation of Charlotte Owen would be leading on Nads about a peerage knowing it wouldn’t happen and would erupt to take over the “honours” list part of the news cycle rather than why someone with very little public service, notable ability and little obvious merit would rise from nowhere to be a permanent member of the UK legislature.

He's not that clever or devious like you say.

He simply has promised sinecure to various people that he wants to.
    Hasn't thought whether they might be refused, or whether competing news stories might drown each other out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,977
    The report into the lying clown will be out within the hour, say the BBC
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Test

In re muscle/fat debate engaged in by other folk on PB, I notice that while they wait, BTL commenters on the Guardian are extensively dissecting Mr Johnson's athletic abilities and how far he actually runs when the cameras are not looking. At least one demand for a camera crew to follow him for the entirety of his athletic excursion.
    He is a chunky monkey but that doesn't stop him being relatively fit or a good runner. You can be overweight and fit.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Can someone explain the difference between Andrea Jenkyns and Nadine Dorries situations. Both are sitting MPs. Both were names put forward by Boris to be ennobled. One was approved by HOLAC but not the other. Something to do with vetting. Is the difference that Jenkyns is/was a minister??

Andrea Mince has been made a Dame - that is penis-challenged alternative to a Knighthood.

Nadine Bonkers was supposedly being ennobled - a lifetime seat in the Lords taking a fat allowance for imposing her views onto laws for the next 40 years.

Two entirely different ways of disgracing the United Kingdom, two separate processes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,605
    edited June 2023
    stjohn said:

Jenkyns wasn’t ennobled, received just a damehood.
  • Options
    Mr. Ghedebrav, gladiators were fatter than the stereotype of just being really muscular.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Was it not to do with Nads not wanting to resign her seat? Same with Sharma.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But if you don't go to sleep now, Father Privileges Report won't be able to visit.

But if you listen very carefully, you might hear the jingle bells of his reindeer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Since Keir Starmer isn't allowed to go back on what he's said in the past, it can be assumed Weak Rishi still believes only Boris Johnson can save us

Can we have an end to this in the shilly-shallying over the committees report? Please! There have been leaks, counter-leaks and further evidence ad nauseam. Get the wretched thing published and be done with it. The main author of our troubles has resigned, and with a bit of luck. Won’t be coming back any time soon.
    Preferably to Rejoin.

Preferably to Rejoin.

Just 22 minutes away and lets us seen the reactions from the actual printed report and the consequences
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Nigelb said:

She was pretty vindictive- look at the lack of Sunakites in her cabinet. Even Mordaunt got a bit of a non-job, for all the sword holding opportunities.

Not as vindictive as BoJo, but that's a low bar to cross.
    I guess there's a baseline vindictiveness I expect from from politicians, which is roughly where I'd put her. As you say, a low bar.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,963

stjohn said:

Boris! committed multiple and egregious contempts of parliament whilst sitting as the PM. The very worst offences possible. So a recommendation of a big suspension was a given if the committee had impartially looked at the evidence.

But that is a *recommendation*. It is up to the Commons what to impose. And the Tories have a big majority. They like grift and corruption, so surely they would have considered the option of not imposing sanction. Reports in the media that FritSunak will whip his MPs to "note" the findings not pass them.

This is why the Boris! flounce is so absurd, and the Kangaroo Court claims made by the disgraced even more absurd. Today we could have had a statement in the House from Boris! Mea culpa, honestly did not purposefully do so, accept the report, sadder and wiser engine and all that. FritSunak whips against implementing the report, bit of consternation and uproar then a dead cat pivot onto doing battle against the evil Lords refusing to let Braverman drown children.
    I don't think Johnson would like to be seen to need a whipping job to save his bacon, and I don't think Sunak would want to have to.

I also wonder which was the bigger slap to the face - this report or the rejection of so many lords. That partly feels like the catalyst here: he wasn't allowed to get all the chums he wanted cushy jobs and that's embarrassing. If any deal was made with Sunak to sweep the report away, I wonder if that undid it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I would just say a clown is meant to be funny, Johnson is anything but funny
  • Options
    This report and PL fixtures to be announced in the next hour.

What a time to be alive.
  • Options

Mr. Ghedebrav, gladiators were fatter than the stereotype of just being really muscular.

Presumably to protect their vitals. Also sheer bulk can be helpful in a fight anyway, especially a staged one. Look at Eric 'Butter Bean' Esch, Dusty Rhodes or indeed anyone from World's Strongest Man.
  • Options
    Mr. Ghedebrav, indeed, and fat also bleeds nicely which was good for the show. For the same reason, the armour gladiators had generally prevented instant kills while leaving plenty of flesh for stabbing and cutting.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,334

Test

Aus, by six wickets.

@Northern_Al piles on England by an innings…
  • Options

What a time to be alive.

Still TWO WEEKS till the SPFL get their shite together and announce theirs - and the Scottish season begins on the first weekend in August.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Mr. Ghedebrav, indeed, and fat also bleeds nicely which was good for the show. For the same reason, the armour gladiators had generally prevented instant kills while leaving plenty of flesh for stabbing and cutting.

Disgraced and in the arena just about sums it up. Ad leones!, is the mood on here, I see.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,434

IanB2 said:

I believe that FLSOJ is the correct PB terminology.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

What a time to be alive.

Still TWO WEEKS till the SPFL get their shite together and announce theirs - and the Scottish season begins on the first weekend in August.
    Why complain? Nice to have something to look forward to, or is there some practical issue?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,120
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

If Jacob Rees-Mogg is held in contempt of parliament and expelled, for lying about Johnson lying to parliament, the NHS might just collapse as a pandemic of heart attacks sweeps the nation.

From all the laughter…

If Rees Mogg is expelled (or forced to resign and face a by election) on top of Boris going any Tory MP on the Tory majority cttee voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,115
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Sunak should have used a version of that script in PMQs yesterday when Starmer hypocritically complained that people were talking about Johnson instead of the economy before proceeding to ask a series of questions about Johnson.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,425

Savanta has a 17 point Labour lead

Don't post thinks like that. We know Labour is way ahead. You know how it sets Heathener off.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

If Jacob Rees-Mogg is held in contempt of parliament and expelled, for lying about Johnson lying to parliament, the NHS might just collapse as a pandemic of heart attacks sweeps the nation.

From all the laughter…

If Rees Mogg is expelled any Tory MP voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party
    You are his love child and I claim my five sovereigns.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,115

IanB2 said:

I believe that FLSOJ is the correct PB terminology.
    Wasn't she a flamboyant sprinter?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,028
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

If Rees Mogg is expelled any Tory MP voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party
    What's that I smell? Ah yes, bovine faeces.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,425
    ydoethur said:

Test

Aus, by six wickets.

@Northern_Al piles on England by an innings…
    England by lots
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

What a time to be alive.

Why complain? Nice to have something to look forward to, or is there some practical issue?
    I occasionally attend Palmerston Park to watch Queen of the South - got a busy summer and want to sort my trip to D&G out! I can't really see any reason why they don't just do it sooner.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TBF, clowns are also meant to be frightening; see recent films, since our childhoods.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,286
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

If Rees Mogg is expelled (or forced to resign and face a by election) on top of Boris going any Tory MP on the Tory majority cttee voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party
    FFS! What sort of brain dead cretins comprise the local Tory party membership?
  • Options

Test

Not until Friday.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

What a time to be alive.

It allows you to plan your weekends between now and May.

The more time you have to plan the better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that. (If that’s possible - which it isn’t!). But I'll tell you, and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if that happens. Love it!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,056

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Sunak should have used a version of that script in PMQs yesterday when Starmer hypocritically complained that people were talking about Johnson instead of the economy before proceeding to ask a series of questions about Johnson.
    Yes, banging on about has-been Johnson was a missed trick by Starmer.

When gilt yields are at Trussian levels and mortgage rates causing anxiety amongst the Conservative classes, that would have been a better track to follow, although perhaps gilt yields and mortgage anxiety can wait a week. I don't suppose either are going away soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

FFS! What sort of brain dead cretins comprise the local Tory party membership?
    People who mostly voted for Boris and Truss to be Conservative leader (of course most Labour members voted for Corbyn to be Labour leader twice until successive general election defeats forced them to pick Starmer). Boris of course at least won a general election even if Truss was hopeless at the top job
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Yes, banging on about has-been Johnson was a missed trick by Starmer.

When gilt yields are at Trussian levels and mortgage rates causing anxiety amongst the Conservative classes, that would have been a better track to follow, although perhaps gilt yields and mortgage anxiety can wait a week. I don't suppose either are going away soon.
    Yeah, those five pledges aren't going too well, eh?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

I'll tell you something, he went down in my estimation when he said that. (If that’s possible - which it isn’t!). But I'll tell you, and... I'll tell you, honestly, I will love it if that happens. Love it!
    Me too Kevin, me too.
  • Options

stjohn said:

Charlotte bloody Owen!!!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

Of course, because Rees-Mogg, a walking caricature and rebuke to the notion that Britain is a country that rewards merit or intelligence, embodies the modern Conservative Party.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,256
    edited June 2023

Can I thank the desperate for their contributions to this thread overnight in defence of their fallen leader? I include Simon Ding Dong Clarke alongside Moonrabbit and HYUFD - desperate, deluded, detached from reality.

Boris! lied to parliament. Repeatedly. Openly. Deliberately. A committee which has very senior and respected Tory Brexiteer MPs on it has examined all the evidence and is presenting its findings to parliament.

Boris! and his toadying lickspittles decided not to hang around for the report - because then you have to defend. Instead he flounces off and denies the validity of the committee. The last minute "Jenkin is a Bad Man" attempt is simply the very last flail before showtime. Baseless, irrelevant, ignorant.

If as they allege Boris is innocent (and will lovingly continue to do casework!!!!), why did he not await the judgement of the Commons? His party has a huge majority thanks to Boris! Surely the morons and lickspittles would vote down such an invalid report against an innocent man?

And even if Sunak decided to wash his hands like Pilot, that doesn't mean there would be a recall election, and if there was would not an innocent man rise like Lazarus and be reaffirmed in triumph?

No. Because Boris! is a coward. And his supporters are cowards too.

I read the posts on the last thread. It's Guido's stock-in-trade. It's what children do to exonerate themselves. Find something that happened years ago or parallels that don't quite match. I was surprised that Kirsty Walk tried it on Newsnight last night but you could tell her heart wasn't in it. She seemed embarrassed. I suspect it's the new DG but the result is a rather anodyne BBC.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

From all the laughter…

Let us not let the Moggster off the hook. Calling the Parliamentary Standards Committee a "Kangaroo Court" is a direct and undeniable contempt of parliament. Whilst the report apparently has not named names it has stated the facts clearly.

We know what kind of penalties are given for that. And it isn't just Mogg, its all of them repeating and propagating the contempt. Including "Sir" Simon Clarke. Note that most of the grifting is being done by people corruptly handed baubles by Boris!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Looks like the Mid Beds by election is off for the foreseeable future.

'Former cabinet minister Nadine Dorries has said she will not resign until she gets more information on why she was denied a peerage...Ms Dorries said she had put in Subject Access Requests to the House of Lords Appointments Commission (HOLAC), Cabinet Secretary and the Cabinet Office.

Subject Access Requests allow an individual to receive a copy of all their personal data held by a government department.

Freedom of Information expert Martin Rosenbaum has pointed out that under the Data Protection Act 2018, the right of access to personal data does not apply to data processed for the honours system.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65910896

So does this mean the LDs will now switch to Selby from Mid Beds with Labour still focusing on Uxbridge?
  • Options
    Johnson says he has been accused of deliberately lying to parliament
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

'Former cabinet minister Nadine Dorries has said she will not resign until she gets more information on why she was denied a peerage...Ms Dorries said she had put in Subject Access Requests to the House of Lords Appointments Commission (HOLAC), Cabinet Secretary and the Cabinet Office.

Subject Access Requests allow an individual to receive a copy of all their personal data held by a government department.

Freedom of Information expert Martin Rosenbaum has pointed out that under the Data Protection Act 2018, the right of access to personal data does not apply to data processed for the honours system.'

So does this mean the LDs will now switch to Selby from Mid Beds with Labour still focusing on Uxbridge?

Probably. Which no doubt means the chances of the Tories winning a by-election soon are reduced.

What's the betting Mad Nad resigns just after the other two by-elections?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,399
    @hzeffman
    14s
    BREAKING: Privileges committee would have suspended Boris Johnson for NINETY days "for repeated contempts" if he were still an MP.

They now say that he should have his access to parliament as a former MP revoked
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Well, thats a bit damming isn't it....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,256
    IanB2 said:

Well I'll go to our 'ouse! (Ena Sharples)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I mean, with Johnson, I'll buy it. I doubt we will have Trump levels of "I can't show you this, that would be a crime" transcripts, but I think there will be some civil servant who is like "of course we told him what the rules were, of course that definition didn't include parties / nobody told him parties were okay, do we look like idiots to you" and Johnson will say "civil servant blob told me it was fine and are now covering their arse to bring down your god king" and so on and so on
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,286
    No smoking curry in the report, that I can see.
  • Options

Direct question for @HYUFD - does right and wrong matter to you? Your response to the suggestion that Mogg receiving censure for contempt of parliament was "any Tory MP voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party"

Is it acceptable for an MP to commit contempt of parliament - yes or no?
    Is it right that an MP committing contempt of parliament be sanctioned by parliament - yes or no?

Simple questions. This isn't about party politics or partisan hackery or votes or opinion polls. This is about standards of behaviour in a parliament that the British people voted to make sovereign.

So is parliament sovereign or not? Because you appear to be suggesting that its rules and standards should offer fealty to your party members.

I mean, if everything from the Coalition onwards tells us anything it's that the modern conservative party puts the needs of the party before anything.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Probably. Which no doubt means the chances of the Tories winning a by-election soon are reduced.

What's the betting Mad Nad resigns just after the other two by-elections?
    Mid Beds was probably the Tories likeliest loss, the LD by election machine already up and running there.

Uxbridge with its big Hindu vote and with the Tory anti ULEZ campaign could be a shock Tory hold, Selby was Labour at one stage under Blair (albeit on different boundaries) so I can't see Starmer giving the LDs a free run there as in Mid Beds thus splitting the non Conservative vote. Thus the Conservatives could win Selby on just 35-40%
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,423
    Finally after years of lying with no consequences Johnson is held to account .

Good riddance .
  • Options
    edited June 2023

- Deliberately misleading the house

- Deliberately misleading the committee

- Breaching confidence

- Impugning the Committee

- Undermining the democratic process of the house

- Being complicit in a campaign of abuse and intimidation

Penalty would have been a NINETY DAY suspension

Recommend no "former member's" pass for Johnson
  • Options
    Have just scan read the start of the report: https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/40412/documents/197199/default/

Its pretty damning!
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Direct question for @HYUFD - does right and wrong matter to you? Your response to the suggestion that Mogg receiving censure for contempt of parliament was "any Tory MP voting for such expulsion who wants to stand again at the next general election would likely face an immediate deselection meeting from their local party"

Is it right that an MP committing contempt of parliament be sanctioned by parliament - yes or no?

Simple questions. This isn't about party politics or partisan hackery or votes or opinion polls. This is about standards of behaviour in a parliament that the British people voted to make sovereign.

So is parliament sovereign or not? Because you appear to be suggesting that its rules and standards should offer fealty to your party members.

Rees Mogg didn't commit contempt of Parliament, most MPs voting for that will be doing so for political reasons and for many because they dislike his attitude to Brexit and his defence of Boris.

Mogg is probably one of the most personally moral MPs in Parliament.

Technically you are also wrong, it is not Parliament alone that is sovereign under our unwritten constitution but Crown in Parliament that is sovereign
  • Options
    Important for the "Revote without Bernard" crew:

Committee also notes that this is a unanimous report. ~AA

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1669255909812453376
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,056
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman
    14s
    BREAKING: Privileges committee would have suspended Boris Johnson for NINETY days "for repeated contempts" if he were still an MP.

They now say that he should have his access to parliament as a former MP revoked

My suggestion that he would serve 9 days was only out by a zero then. Wow!
  • Options
    Shame he resigned really, it would have been fun watching his supporters try to overturn a 90 day suspension.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rees Mogg didn't commit contempt of Parliament, most MPs voting for that will be doing so for political reasons and for many because they dislike his attitude to Brexit and his defence of Boris.

Technically you are also wrong, it is not Parliament alone that is sovereign under our unwritten constitution but Crown in Parliament
    I thought that time he victim-blamed the people who died in the Grenfell fire really showed his personal morality at its best.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,158
    Good luck to Sunak and co with with their "Starmer wanted Corbyn to be PM" attack line from here on in.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,380

stjohn said:

Proof, if it were needed, of Boris's judgement and wisdom.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,194
    I guess Sir Bernard Jenkin is now part of the remoaner blob.
  • Options
    'Boris can bounce back from this 'kangaroo court' decision.' JRM

Possibly
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Good luck to Sunak and co with with their "Starmer wanted Corbyn to be PM" attack line from here on in.

Starmer stuck with Corbyn until the end and the 2019 general election defeat, only standing for the leadership after Corbyn resigned (even if he has suspended Corbyn from Labour now).

Sunak's resignation and attacks on PM Boris last summer were key in forcing Boris to resign
  • Options
    I see Moon Rabbit was talking shite once more last night.

The report was approved unanimously by the committee - which has a Conservative majority.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Technically you are also wrong, it is not Parliament alone that is sovereign under our unwritten constitution but Crown in Parliament that is sovereign
    What is calling the committee the house enjoined to serve this role, that just released it's unanimous report, a "kangaroo court" if not impugning the house and treating it with contempt? To say it is a "kangaroo court" is not just having a go at the members on the committee, but those who put them there - which is everyone in the house.

The PM is not the executive, they are not above the law, and they are not above the house. We know that Johnson and Mogg at best incorrectly advised the crown on prorogation, at worst lied to the crown, why should it be so outrageous to suggest they would be willing to do the same to the house?
This discussion has been closed.