Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kaboom. A truly terrible day for Trump and now Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited June 2023 in General
Kaboom. A truly terrible day for Trump and now Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Johnson has two weeks to respond to the privileges committee and is determined to fight itHis legal team are currently drawing up his response The report is in draft at the moment – so sanction could change – but there's one hell of a battle to come

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited June 2023
    I was right, and I will display my legendary modesty when reminding you about this.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Second. Can’t be right as Moon Rabbit posted a Telegraph article saying it was all okay for Johnson.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Second like Rishi in Election 24
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Second, like Con in Uxbridge by-election...
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667246215547834376?cxt=HHwWkMC-7a_mn6MuAAAA

Mm, Mr Johnson upset that a Labour MP might be on the committee. And even convene it.
    ***BUFFS NAILS***
    We can’t all come second…
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Ooh, can I be second as well? Anyone else?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Is this a leak from the Privileges Committee, or has the information been officially released?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Carnyx said:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1667246215547834376?cxt=HHwWkMC-7a_mn6MuAAAA

Mm, Mr Johnson upset that a Labour MP might be on the committee. And even convene it.

He's gone and done it!
    BORIS JOHNSON IS STANDING DOWN AS AN MP

***BUFFS NAILS***

You want to see smug? Wait until Truss is waving on her way back into No. 10. Then you’ll see smug. I will be the smugmeister.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

But will he stand at U&R?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022

Excellent news
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    TSE is right about the Tories tearing themselves apart over this. Especially if the Tories on the committee did not want a 10+day sanction.

Rishi may nominally have a large majority but he's in a weak position and everyone knows it. Go to bat for Boris and it takes around 40 rebels to be defeated. That sounds achievable. Don't go to bat for Boris and many more than 40 may rebel, without changing the outcome, and thus making Rishi look even weaker.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Holy moly.

Well timed thread then.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    And he's gone
    Is he getting a Peerage in his resignation honours?
    kle4 said:

TSE is right about the Tories tearing themselves apart over this. Especially if the Tories on the committee did not want a 10+day sanction.

Rishi may nominally have a large majority but he's in a weak position and everyone knows it. Go to bat for Boris and it takes around 40 rebels to be defeated. That sounds achievable. Don't go to bat for Boris and many more than 40 may rebel, without changing the outcome, and thus making Rishi look even weaker.

Shall I tell him?
    Who said a week is a long time in politics

Seems 24 hours is

Boris is doing a Paterson - he is moaning about being forced out, but might have won a recall petition electio. Why not chance it?

I mean, this doesn't even make sense!

'I am being forced out by a tiny handful of people, with no evidence to back up their assertions, and without approval even of Conservative party members let alone the wider electorate.

'I believe that a dangerous and unsettling precedent is being set'

kle4 said:

There won't be a sanction. So no vote.
    He's standing down to avoid defeat.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Just REJOICE at that news.

Goodnight gentlemen.
    ICYMI

• glwglw Posts: 9,799
    It seems like all the bad eggs are cracking today.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Great news - but surely time for a GE?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 2023

Huzzah ! Maybe British democracy is saved after all.

Nest for Trump to be locked up to save American demicracy, too,.

Who said a week is a long time in politics

Seems 24 hours is

Feel the buzz! This is why I love politics!
    kle4 said:

Boris is doing a Paterson - he is moaning about being forced out, but might have won a recall petition electio. Why not chance it?

'I am being forced out by a tiny handful of people, with no evidence to back up their assertions, and without approval even of Conservative party members let alone the wider electorate.

"Look what you made me do!"
    Common theme of abusers everywhere.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Just need JRM to jump...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited June 2023
    If as now looks likely Boris does stand down as MP for Uxbridge due to this report I expect lots of Tory activists to flood the seat to try and help him hold on if he contests the by election. Certainly Labour will fancy their chances but Uxbridge still has a Tory council and was strong Leave so Boris could hold on
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Finally.
    edited June 2023
    Look, obviously I do not like Boris, not at all, but I have been willing to praise him on specific issues and I feel like I am capable of giving him a fair hearing to some degree even lacking superhuman objectivity.

With that said, I really hope people don't buy his sob story - he is not being forced out by a handful of MPs based on nothing - for all its issues the nature of the Act gives him a shot at convincing his electorate that the MPs recommending sanction (and the House had it approved it) were wrong to do so, or that a recall was punishment enough. That adds in the ability to stick two fingers up to the Committee and be triumphant.

Presenting as though he lacks that option (or, more likely, does not feel up to it), is just fundamentally dishonest.

End as you started I guess.
    kle4 said:

Does this action mean the privileges committee found him guilty of misleading parliament
    Could Boris stand in Mid Beds?

Great news - but surely time for a GE?

It's time, but we won't get one for 16 months.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    kle4 said:

If he loses than he's a loser.

If he quits he can say "I would have won if I stood".
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

If as now looks likely Boris does stand down as MP for Uxbridge due to this report I expect lots of Tory activists to flood the seat to try and help him hold on if he contests the by election. Certainly Labour will fancy their chances but Uxbridge still has a Tory council and was strong Leave so Boris could hold on

Which part of "leaving Parliament" makes you think he'll be standing?
    HYUFD said:

He has resigned with immediate effect so it is over at last
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

:D
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    This is great news!

I’m going to stop work, open a bottle of beer, and eat some banana bread to celebrate.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    “At least for now”.

Just fuck off.
    HYUFD said:

I’m not sure “leaving Parliament” means what you are interpreting

That isn't what he usually gets up to in beds.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Also - what an absolute shit Johnson is. And his cronies
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Boris Johnson and his loyal supporters are such toddlers.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    This is chaos.

Just when a few people on here were talking up their prospects of 'swingback' (no don't laugh) the tories manage to self-immolate. Again.
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

If he loses than he's a loser.

If he quits he can say "I would have won if I stood".
    Granted. But even with his many backers some will surely be disheartened that he is not even attempting to fight it - his statement studiously ignoring what the actual process entails is implicit admission he was toast (even though I and others would have given him a chance at a win), which itself makes his whails less impactful outside GB news.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

The problem with the Trump charges is that they lack an obviously malign motive.

It’s all a bit “getting Capone on VAT fraud”.

Ridiculous. There is a clear motive to potentially sell them.

NEW THREAD

• CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    New Thread, already?!!!
This discussion has been closed.