Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This trend look very worrying for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited May 2023

eek said:

All these folk renting. They've got a home. They don't need another one to be built for them.

Certainly not an Executive Home on a farmer's field.

Sorry but all I'm seeing from your "argument" if I'm generous to call it an argument is a completely callous nimby....

Cheap houses generates cash that would result in productive spending that would create actual growth.

Given the correct dataset I reckon it would be very easy to mathmatically prove that our dire growth is due to stupidly high house prices destroying any opportunity for people to take risks...
    I'm not a NIMBY. I'm against construction on all greenfield sites. That includes those near me and those everywhere else in the country.

If we want to do anything with such locations then rewild them if they are not needed for agriculture.
    Some 'greenfield' sites are of no agricultural value and as such also not very good for rewilding either. They can just be very poor quality soil areas next to urban areas. There's absolutely no harm done building on some of them, and plenty of benefit to society.

No it shouldn't be open season, because if you do that developers would ignore brownfield for the most part and would build on plenty of very useful land, but thinking in binary terms of 'greenfield' being not ok under any circumstances is a major major problem.

By your own definition you are most certainly a NIMBY, you are just also a NIABY on top of that, which doesn't make the former not the case.

Some NIMBY points have justification and some do not. The key is not to give too much weight to the latter, not ignore the former entirely.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

This is what the war on woke does. Millennials and younger are quite woke.

It seems to me that the objective of the 'war on woke' is the protection of white and male privilege and its favoured technique is an appeal to people's baser instincts. This is why I have a dim view of it.
    White, priveliged male declares war on protection of white, privileged males. And why on earth shouldn't you.

Go you.
    Well not really. I'm just commenting (adversely) on the War on Woke. I leave the street fighting stuff to others. Does this delegitimise my contribution? No. You do what you can.
    I am a white man, how was I privileged? I left school with no qualifications because it was a sink school, I grew up in a council house with 3 stories and one coal fire. I worked as a trawlerman till our fish quota took us down to 6 weeks fishing a year which didn't support a wage you could live on, I worked and paid my way through college to get o levels and a levels, got a job then got banned due to chemical sensitisation, worked through that with a child where I would have been 30£ a week better off on the dole to retrain to write software. All at my own cost....never got a db pension, never got any help from the state....where is my privilege please? I would like some as I keep being told I got it
    Flippantly: imagine if you'd been Black on top of all that.

Sensibly: privilege means having a right, advantage, or benefit that isn't available to others. It doesn't mean you're better off than most people, because the same person can have both privilege and disadvantage.
    White people are privileged because there is more racism against non-Whites.
    Men are privileged because there is more sexism against women.

In some circumstances, you can find female privilege. In others, male privilege. Circumstances matter too.

So that's the concept.

You're right to feel angry at the idea that you are "privileged" because you can list a whole swathe of disadvantages. But you shouldn't feel angry at the concept of privilege because it is real and it applies in complex ways. Most people benefit from a privilege and suffer disadvantage at the same time. And too often privilege as a concept is used to minimise or ignore disadvantage. People should stop doing that, but the concept has its uses when not abused in that way.
    But you and your lefty cohort keep telling me I was privileged somehow because I am white....where is this privilege you speak of for me...why should I feel guilty for being white and privileged?
    I didn't say you should feel guilty.
    I'm not a lefty.
    I explained above where your privilege is: your life outcomes would (on average) be worse if you weren't White because White people face less racial prejudice than non-White people.
    How aboutthe white people whi are denied the chance to interview for jobs because panels need at least one ethnic minority, for example?

It's not obvious that, when controlled for wealth, your life chances are impacted by being non-white. Certainly starting out poor, or the child of a single parent, is a far greater disadvantage.
    "White people face less racial prejudice"

I did not say White people face no racial prejudice.

Other factors like family background, wealth may well be sources of profound privilege or disadvantage, yes, of course.

We need to be honest about the advantages and disadvantages we have faced in our lives, but the human brain plays this little trick where it diminishes advantages and magnifies disadvantages. This is a classic in the psychology canon and if you have time look into it because it's fascinating. But what it means is we find it very difficult to admit privilege, and much easier to admit hardships (especially if we feel we've overcome them).

That's why thinking in terms of privilege is important and valuable. It gives us a framework to overcome that psychological flaw that we (mostly? all?) have. It helps remind us to be honest with ourselves about our advantages and disadvantages. Done well, it's about building empathy. Done badly, it's just another stick to beat someone else down.
    Listen to your own words....you are automatically calling me privileged because I am white....do you think when fighting my way out I didn't for example face prejudice for having a thick cornish accent or people interviewing me picking up I failed all my exams first time round where being academic got you a playground beating every fucking day.
    So you have privileges and disadvantages. Just like most people. You might find your disadvantages outweigh your privilege and that's your call to make, not mine.
    It is my call, I dont regard myself as either disadvantaged or privileged however. It is fuckwits like you I object to calling me privileged. Just like I am sure their are many poc's also thinking people like you calling them disadvantaged.

We can all sit and whine and say its not my fault. I fought my way up so did many poc people. We got where we are by trying to be better, not because we were privileged or disadvantaged but because we tried.

Is there privilege....certainly there are people that get a free ride.....however that is neither the vast majority of white people. It is the people who have parents with contacts....you find it a lot in for example the charity sector where people have moved from uni to a charity job to a management position in a charity or quango with no real work ever done....guess what they are mostly left leaning
    So you want to emphasise other people's privilege and not your own.
    And you want to emphasise your disadvantages and not other people's.

This is all very normal.
    It is normal ; I personally think the period simplification of privilege as always from white working-class conditions has been quite damaging for the left.
    Yes, I recognise my post comes across as sarcastic, but it isn't. It's exactly normal, and it's the psychological "trick" I was talking about earlier. We all have the tendency to do it, and I think it's harmful. It works against empathy and understanding. It helps us hate strangers who get in our way. We'd all be mildly better off if we learned to not do it quite so automatically.
    Agreed. Good post.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    edited May 2023
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Just ordered a copy of Nick Timothy’s “Remaking one nation” for cheap, off of eBay.

Has anyone read it?

No but I've been intending to read it for ages.
    If you vanilla private message me an address, I’ll post it to you after I’ve read it if you want.
    Thanks. (Just clicked on your name but it says it's private. Maybe there's another way to do it).
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

It seems to me that the objective of the 'war on woke' is the protection of white and male privilege and its favoured technique is an appeal to people's baser instincts. This is why I have a dim view of it.
    White, priveliged male declares war on protection of white, privileged males. And why on earth shouldn't you.

Go you.
    Well not really. I'm just commenting (adversely) on the War on Woke. I leave the street fighting stuff to others. Does this delegitimise my contribution? No. You do what you can.
    I am a white man, how was I privileged? I left school with no qualifications because it was a sink school, I grew up in a council house with 3 stories and one coal fire. I worked as a trawlerman till our fish quota took us down to 6 weeks fishing a year which didn't support a wage you could live on, I worked and paid my way through college to get o levels and a levels, got a job then got banned due to chemical sensitisation, worked through that with a child where I would have been 30£ a week better off on the dole to retrain to write software. All at my own cost....never got a db pension, never got any help from the state....where is my privilege please? I would like some as I keep being told I got it

Sensibly: privilege means having a right, advantage, or benefit that isn't available to others. It doesn't mean you're better off than most people, because the same person can have both privilege and disadvantage.

In some circumstances, you can find female privilege. In others, male privilege. Circumstances matter too.

So that's the concept.

You're right to feel angry at the idea that you are "privileged" because you can list a whole swathe of disadvantages. But you shouldn't feel angry at the concept of privilege because it is real and it applies in complex ways. Most people benefit from a privilege and suffer disadvantage at the same time. And too often privilege as a concept is used to minimise or ignore disadvantage. People should stop doing that, but the concept has its uses when not abused in that way.
    But you and your lefty cohort keep telling me I was privileged somehow because I am white....where is this privilege you speak of for me...why should I feel guilty for being white and privileged?
    I'm not a lefty.
    I explained above where your privilege is: your life outcomes would (on average) be worse if you weren't White because White people face less racial prejudice than non-White people.
    How aboutthe white people whi are denied the chance to interview for jobs because panels need at least one ethnic minority, for example?

It's not obvious that, when controlled for wealth, your life chances are impacted by being non-white. Certainly starting out poor, or the child of a single parent, is a far greater disadvantage.

Other factors like family background, wealth may well be sources of profound privilege or disadvantage, yes, of course.

We need to be honest about the advantages and disadvantages we have faced in our lives, but the human brain plays this little trick where it diminishes advantages and magnifies disadvantages. This is a classic in the psychology canon and if you have time look into it because it's fascinating. But what it means is we find it very difficult to admit privilege, and much easier to admit hardships (especially if we feel we've overcome them).

That's why thinking in terms of privilege is important and valuable. It gives us a framework to overcome that psychological flaw that we (mostly? all?) have. It helps remind us to be honest with ourselves about our advantages and disadvantages. Done well, it's about building empathy. Done badly, it's just another stick to beat someone else down.
    Listen to your own words....you are automatically calling me privileged because I am white....do you think when fighting my way out I didn't for example face prejudice for having a thick cornish accent or people interviewing me picking up I failed all my exams first time round where being academic got you a playground beating every fucking day.
    So you have privileges and disadvantages. Just like most people. You might find your disadvantages outweigh your privilege and that's your call to make, not mine.
    It is my call, I dont regard myself as either disadvantaged or privileged however. It is fuckwits like you I object to calling me privileged. Just like I am sure their are many poc's also thinking people like you calling them disadvantaged.

We can all sit and whine and say its not my fault. I fought my way up so did many poc people. We got where we are by trying to be better, not because we were privileged or disadvantaged but because we tried.

Is there privilege....certainly there are people that get a free ride.....however that is neither the vast majority of white people. It is the people who have parents with contacts....you find it a lot in for example the charity sector where people have moved from uni to a charity job to a management position in a charity or quango with no real work ever done....guess what they are mostly left leaning
    I mean, you have a spent an awful lot of time over several posts listing out the things that held you back (at least for a while; you now seem to be a thriving and well-adjusted person), so it's a little surprising to hear you say you don't feel disadvantaged by these disadvantages. I do wonder why you spent so long talking about them then.
    I don't feel disadvantaged because I saw those things as my problem not a society needs to fix these things for me. I fixed them for myself I worked hard to educate myself and work my way into better jobs rather than whinge about it and say society owes me because I was disadvantaged.....plenty of poc people have done the same....their reward is people like you and Rupa Huq labelling them as "well they are really white"
    I have never said anything like that and I wouldn't.

And good on you for fixing things yourself, that's just the spirit people need. I'm not arguing for someone else to come and fix things. Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera.
    You're arguing against a lot of things that other people have said and getting angry with me for things I haven't said. I'm not saying "these people are disadvantaged, give them a handout". I'm saying that understanding your own advantages helps you understand other people better.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pagan2 said:

Ghedebrav said:

TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

TOPPING said:

Fpt @Farooq

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

"The Windsor Framework is a new beginning for old friends.

Today, we've adopted a draft Memorandum of Understanding in the area of financial services with the United Kingdom."

https://twitter.com/eu_commission/status/1658820291651424256

Ok, it's only a MoU, but at least they're on speaking terms.

Don't tell @Luckyguy1983, but Sunak has done a terrific job in building relationships with the EU.
    Building relationships with the EU when caving into their demands for little more than Scotch Mist in return is quite easy. See also Tony Blair. They will give you handshakes and smiles aplenty whilst you're doing as they wish. Having a relationship based on mutual respect with the EU is a lot more difficult. Only Margaret Thatcher managed it, and then only to a certain extent.
    There are two possible explanations for this:
    1. we are a much weaker country than you suppose and getting more is not possible
    2. our political system is completely broken and doesn't allow the people who are capable of doing better to rise to the top

I assume you think 2. is closer to the mark in which case what do you think we should do about it?
    I think it's far too simplistic to narrow the answer down to two reasons, let alone choose one. In Tony Blair's case I think he was just stupid and naive, surrendering part of the rebate for a vague 'intention' on the part of the French to reform the CAP that never materialised. In Sunak's case I think he is genuinely on board with a grand scheme to reconnect us to the EU, and I am growingly concerned that the strategy includes wrecking the UK economy to such an extent that we need IMF or other help and are forced to accept a package of terms with it that involve reaccession.
    Ok, we can add in a third explanation: your policy of ruthlessly squeezing our European frenemies is just not that popular with the electorate. I mean, Blair won all his elections, didn't he?
    Perhaps you're just a bit out of step with the British public and most people don't care that much?
    I would agree there, but this is an attitude that will need to change for national survival of any kind. It is an odd phenomenon of Britain that the general public is so unconnected with their own commercial good, in the sense of 'buying British' for example - even those words sound stupidly gauche, and evoke images of teapots shaped like thatched cottages etc. We're completely disconnected from the national implications of foreign takeovers, British companies losing out on contracts, 'made in China', importing a huge chunk of our energy, in a way that France, Germany, Spain, America, Japan, Australia, just aren't. I hope we don't have to become very poor before we realise that the flow of where money is coming from and going to is important and has real world consequences.

And I don't believe in 'ruthlessly squeezing' anyone - I believe in setting out ones stall clearly and firmly from the beginning, which I think is where respect comes from. The same goes for our dealings with China.
    And as Just Stop Oil, XR and all the rest of them are showing us, the general public largely couldn't give a hoot about whether we hit the fabled 1.5C by 2027 or not.
    They will give a hoot about the implications though, as food prices shoot up and famines and wars drive even greater waves of migration.

And here we get to the point. When we govern through optics and only choose to do things we think will win us the next election, we are no longer really governing.
    I think we can address a changing climate without the catastrophising. Is the Maldives still afloat? And what was that white stuff I saw a few months ago falling from the heavens.
    Come on, surely you’re better than the ‘it still snows sometimes therefore climate change is wrong’ nonsense?
    He didn't say climate change is wrong he merely told the truth, no one really cares that much except crustie activists
    … and my point is that ‘no one really cares about it’ =/= ‘not important’ or ‘not worth doing anything about’.

It’s the inside out of the logic that kept Spaffer going so long; ‘people don’t mind me acting illegally or unprofessionally, therefore it’s fine for me to do’
    When I say no one really cares...what I mean is no one really objects to more wind/solar/etc

however they aren't going to stop consuming, they aren't going to eat no meat, they realise other countries are going to want to catch up to our consumption. They are not going to back the we should all be subsistence farmers eating tofu cant of the extremists. They are instead going to assume we will muddle through with technical improvements because they know damn well most of the world is going to say the same
    Sadly, some people do object to wind farms, and vociferously too.
    There is a lot to object to, as anyone who's given more than a passing thought to the issue is well aware.
    Well, if you say so. I'd sooner live near a wind farm than a coal plant.
    I'd sooner depend on getting my energy from a coal plant than a wind farm.
    Even if it meant paying a lot more for the energy?
    I don't see that it would mean that, but reliability is a very valuable attribute.
    You do know that even in the US, where Powder River Basin coal is just $15/tonne, and where subsidies for wind in many states are completely unknown, that coal plants are being shut down left right and center?

These are relatively modern plants, with cheap locally produced coal. There's no capital cost to build them.

And yet they simply can't compete.

Why? Because natural gas and wind are dramatically cheaper.

And we have no advantage in terms of cheap local coal. We're not Germany with the ability to strip mine lignite at very low cost. We need to buy coal from Colombia, South Africa or Australia (where we're competing with other buyers). We need to ship that coal around the world (have you seen where the Baltic Dry Index is these days?) And then we need to get
    the coal from port to the power station.

This isn't rampant greenery, this is market economics.
    The USA also has elephant graveyard wind farms that stopped when subsidies stopped. You appear to be falsely lumping wind (not cheap, or reliable) in with gas (cheap and reliable).

Besides which, the proposed new UK coal mine (approved by Gove, who knows when they will break ground) can yield a vast amount of coal - they have even afaicr had to agree to only mine so much, as part of their planning permission. An agreement that I heartily hope will be incinerated in a coal fired power station in due course.
    (1) Is wind capacity in the US increasing or decreasing?
    (2) Is coal capacity in the US increasing or decreasing?
    (3) Will the UK coal plant be allowed to sell its coal at prevailing market prices?

1. It will increase or decrease in line with the subsidies available to those with the money to take advantage of them.
    2. I suspect it is decreasing, but, as you hint, due to gas, not wind, replacing it as a practicable source of energy, which wind just isn't.
    3. I have no idea. All I know is that the UK is sitting on an absolute fuckton of coal, I acknowledge that it might be less easy to get to than some overseas mines, but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.
    Can I suggest you read through the Annual Reports of the big US Electricity Generators? Companies like Duke Energy or Exelon. These are firms with massive existing generating assets. They discuss in their earnings calls and presentations the relative cost of power production, because they are in the business of making money by generating it as cheaply as possible, and selling it to consumers.

They all say the same thing: coal is the most expensive part of their generating portfolio, and they are investing in wind and natural gas. And the gap in pricing is not trivial. New coal (and bear in mind that coal in the US is dramatically cheaper than in the UK) is around $83/MWh. Onshore wind and gas are about $40 before any subsidy or tax credits.

But don't take my word for it, look at this chart produced by the US electricty companies themselves:

And the equivalent costs for offshore wind in the UK are much lower thanks to shallow seas, shorter transmission lines and economies of scale.
    Offshore wind isn't really economic anywhere right now. That will change as costs come down, but just look at the Operations and Maintenance line for the US - that $30 per MWh of O&M alone.

Now, the hope is that a few subsidies right now will lead to lower long-term prices (and that's probably right), but right now, it isn't really economic.
    It is subsidised to the tune of tens of billions by billpayers, that's how it continues. Same with UK onshore wind and solar.

Where in your table is the required back up generation and storage taken into account in the case of the weather dependent renewables?
    Look at the capital cost of natural gas: it's bugger all, less than $10 per MWh.

That's your backup.

You can build more than *five* new gas plants for the price of one new coal plant. And your operating costs are dramatically lower for the gas plant too, because you don't have to deal with disposing of ash, or maintaining those conveyer belts. You can also can turn the things on and off without it dramatically shortening their life spans. (Thanks thermal expansion and contraction!)

If you look at the UK, you can take those US numbers, and you can treble or quadruple the fuel cost. That's why I (and anyone else who has ever financed a power plant) stays well away from coal.
    I am afraid I don't take the US numbers. They're predictions for 4 years hence - current verified numbers would be of more interest, and even then I would need to understand the figures presented to a far greater degree than I do.

You have no argument at all from me on gas being way better and cheaper than coal - but Farooq and I were talking about wind vs. coal.

I also don't really take your point about not burning metallurgical coal in a coal-fired station. Metallurgical coal is a high quality product that burns hotter and with less ash than thermal coal. There is no theoretical impediment; it's not usually done because it's underselling the coal. Drax has adjusted to a lot of things - it's burning US wood pellets currently.
    The numbers are for 2027, because that's how long it takes to bring on stream a new coal / gas / wind plant. Nuclear is obviously a lot longer, and solar a little shorter.

The purpose of the table was US energy company CEOs and CFOs talking about today's capital investment decisions.

When they are choosing today where to spend their money on generation for tomorrow, what are the costs? (And, by the way, the fuel costs are all based on the forward curve.)

Re metallurgical coal: was the plant built to deal with the higher temperatures? If it's burning hotter than planned, then there will be more thermal expansion of the various components.

This is complex stuff, and different coal has different heat / ash / water / sulphur content, and you need to make sure that your plant is set up for what you're burning. And some plants are simply incapable of being economically converted.

And re Drax, they add a small quantity of biomass to their coal so as to keep thermals within range. It's not like they just dump wood pellets / avocado stones* into the furnace instead of coal.

* Drax almost certainly burns more avocado stones than wood pellets, because you can get them (almost) free from cosmetics companies.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

I mean, you have a spent an awful lot of time over several posts listing out the things that held you back (at least for a while; you now seem to be a thriving and well-adjusted person), so it's a little surprising to hear you say you don't feel disadvantaged by these disadvantages. I do wonder why you spent so long talking about them then.
    I don't feel disadvantaged because I saw those things as my problem not a society needs to fix these things for me. I fixed them for myself I worked hard to educate myself and work my way into better jobs rather than whinge about it and say society owes me because I was disadvantaged.....plenty of poc people have done the same....their reward is people like you and Rupa Huq labelling them as "well they are really white"

And good on you for fixing things yourself, that's just the spirit people need. I'm not arguing for someone else to come and fix things. Aide-toi, le ciel t'aidera.
    You're arguing against a lot of things that other people have said and getting angry with me for things I haven't said. I'm not saying "these people are disadvantaged, give them a handout". I'm saying that understanding your own advantages helps you understand other people better.
    Yet you keep talking about my white privilege.....stop doing it and maybe I will regard you as rational
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

Yet you keep talking about my white privilege.....stop doing it and maybe I will regard you as rational
    I don't really need your judgement on my rationality.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Kissinger's "Leadership" has been out in hardback for about a year, but the paperback is out in July. Something for the holiday, if I took them...😀
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Off topic, but I think many of you will find this column on American inequality of interest: 'The typical household in the census’s bottom quintile spends twice as much as the income the bureau counts. These household members live in more space than middle-class Europeans, and own appliances unknown to the wealthy of a generation ago. A caring society makes this possible by transferring an average of more than $45,000 per year (2017 data) to each such household, lifting its true living standard to a level almost identical to that of the two quintiles above it.

As the authors summarize, “Government takes and redistributes enough resources to elevate the average bottom quintile household into the American middle class.”'
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/05/17/united-states-poverty-levels-distortion/
    (A Mitch Daniels column describing findings in a recent book by Phil Gramm and two co-authors – Robert Ekelund and John Early.)

Once you include subsidies like food stamps and the earned income tax credit, the US poverty rate -- referring to material poverty -- drops to about 2.5 percent.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

You sound like you think I should care about judging it. You are just another shouty lefty shouting white privilege. I have explained why you shouldn't. I don't really care if you think about what I said or not. I will just judge you by your future words and either write you off as another corbyn or not
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Just ordered a copy of Nick Timothy’s “Remaking one nation” for cheap, off of eBay.

Has anyone read it?

If you vanilla private message me an address, I’ll post it to you after I’ve read it if you want.
    Thanks. (Just clicked on your name but it says it's private. Maybe there's another way to do it).
    @ping's email address is nick.timothy@gmail.com
    Very funny.

Can you figure out a way to let andy know my email address? Or some other solution to this situation, without me publicly identifying myself?

Not that i’m an important person, but, you know, I’d rather stay pseudo-anonymous.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    eek said:

All these folk renting. They've got a home. They don't need another one to be built for them.

Certainly not an Executive Home on a farmer's field.

Sorry but all I'm seeing from your "argument" if I'm generous to call it an argument is a completely callous nimby....

Cheap houses generates cash that would result in productive spending that would create actual growth.

Given the correct dataset I reckon it would be very easy to mathmatically prove that our dire growth is due to stupidly high house prices destroying any opportunity for people to take risks...
    These guys seem convinced;

https://worksinprogress.co/issue/the-housing-theory-of-everything

(Though they see it more in terms of people being unable to afford to move to places where their skills are most valuable.)

But as the last decade has shown, plenty of people aren't that interested in the country becoming any richer.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,821
    So the Daily Mail with another deranged headline accusing Starmer of wanting to re-negotiate the Brexit deal . Ignoring the fact that the Tories are doing exactly that by wanting changes to rules of origin for car makers .

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pagan2 said:

Ghedebrav said:

TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

TOPPING said:

Fpt @Farooq

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

"The Windsor Framework is a new beginning for old friends.

Today, we've adopted a draft Memorandum of Understanding in the area of financial services with the United Kingdom."

https://twitter.com/eu_commission/status/1658820291651424256

Ok, it's only a MoU, but at least they're on speaking terms.

Don't tell @Luckyguy1983, but Sunak has done a terrific job in building relationships with the EU.
    Building relationships with the EU when caving into their demands for little more than Scotch Mist in return is quite easy. See also Tony Blair. They will give you handshakes and smiles aplenty whilst you're doing as they wish. Having a relationship based on mutual respect with the EU is a lot more difficult. Only Margaret Thatcher managed it, and then only to a certain extent.
    There are two possible explanations for this:
    1. we are a much weaker country than you suppose and getting more is not possible
    2. our political system is completely broken and doesn't allow the people who are capable of doing better to rise to the top

I assume you think 2. is closer to the mark in which case what do you think we should do about it?
    I think it's far too simplistic to narrow the answer down to two reasons, let alone choose one. In Tony Blair's case I think he was just stupid and naive, surrendering part of the rebate for a vague 'intention' on the part of the French to reform the CAP that never materialised. In Sunak's case I think he is genuinely on board with a grand scheme to reconnect us to the EU, and I am growingly concerned that the strategy includes wrecking the UK economy to such an extent that we need IMF or other help and are forced to accept a package of terms with it that involve reaccession.
    Ok, we can add in a third explanation: your policy of ruthlessly squeezing our European frenemies is just not that popular with the electorate. I mean, Blair won all his elections, didn't he?
    Perhaps you're just a bit out of step with the British public and most people don't care that much?
    I would agree there, but this is an attitude that will need to change for national survival of any kind. It is an odd phenomenon of Britain that the general public is so unconnected with their own commercial good, in the sense of 'buying British' for example - even those words sound stupidly gauche, and evoke images of teapots shaped like thatched cottages etc. We're completely disconnected from the national implications of foreign takeovers, British companies losing out on contracts, 'made in China', importing a huge chunk of our energy, in a way that France, Germany, Spain, America, Japan, Australia, just aren't. I hope we don't have to become very poor before we realise that the flow of where money is coming from and going to is important and has real world consequences.

And I don't believe in 'ruthlessly squeezing' anyone - I believe in setting out ones stall clearly and firmly from the beginning, which I think is where respect comes from. The same goes for our dealings with China.
    And as Just Stop Oil, XR and all the rest of them are showing us, the general public largely couldn't give a hoot about whether we hit the fabled 1.5C by 2027 or not.
    They will give a hoot about the implications though, as food prices shoot up and famines and wars drive even greater waves of migration.

And here we get to the point. When we govern through optics and only choose to do things we think will win us the next election, we are no longer really governing.
    I think we can address a changing climate without the catastrophising. Is the Maldives still afloat? And what was that white stuff I saw a few months ago falling from the heavens.
    Come on, surely you’re better than the ‘it still snows sometimes therefore climate change is wrong’ nonsense?
    He didn't say climate change is wrong he merely told the truth, no one really cares that much except crustie activists
    … and my point is that ‘no one really cares about it’ =/= ‘not important’ or ‘not worth doing anything about’.

It’s the inside out of the logic that kept Spaffer going so long; ‘people don’t mind me acting illegally or unprofessionally, therefore it’s fine for me to do’
    When I say no one really cares...what I mean is no one really objects to more wind/solar/etc

however they aren't going to stop consuming, they aren't going to eat no meat, they realise other countries are going to want to catch up to our consumption. They are not going to back the we should all be subsistence farmers eating tofu cant of the extremists. They are instead going to assume we will muddle through with technical improvements because they know damn well most of the world is going to say the same
    Sadly, some people do object to wind farms, and vociferously too.
    There is a lot to object to, as anyone who's given more than a passing thought to the issue is well aware.
    Well, if you say so. I'd sooner live near a wind farm than a coal plant.
    I'd sooner depend on getting my energy from a coal plant than a wind farm.
    Even if it meant paying a lot more for the energy?
    I don't see that it would mean that, but reliability is a very valuable attribute.
    You do know that even in the US, where Powder River Basin coal is just $15/tonne, and where subsidies for wind in many states are completely unknown, that coal plants are being shut down left right and center?

These are relatively modern plants, with cheap locally produced coal. There's no capital cost to build them.

And yet they simply can't compete.

Why? Because natural gas and wind are dramatically cheaper.

And we have no advantage in terms of cheap local coal. We're not Germany with the ability to strip mine lignite at very low cost. We need to buy coal from Colombia, South Africa or Australia (where we're competing with other buyers). We need to ship that coal around the world (have you seen where the Baltic Dry Index is these days?) And then we need to get
    the coal from port to the power station.

This isn't rampant greenery, this is market economics.
    The USA also has elephant graveyard wind farms that stopped when subsidies stopped. You appear to be falsely lumping wind (not cheap, or reliable) in with gas (cheap and reliable).

Besides which, the proposed new UK coal mine (approved by Gove, who knows when they will break ground) can yield a vast amount of coal - they have even afaicr had to agree to only mine so much, as part of their planning permission. An agreement that I heartily hope will be incinerated in a coal fired power station in due course.
    (1) Is wind capacity in the US increasing or decreasing?
    (2) Is coal capacity in the US increasing or decreasing?
    (3) Will the UK coal plant be allowed to sell its coal at prevailing market prices?

1. It will increase or decrease in line with the subsidies available to those with the money to take advantage of them.
    2. I suspect it is decreasing, but, as you hint, due to gas, not wind, replacing it as a practicable source of energy, which wind just isn't.
    3. I have no idea. All I know is that the UK is sitting on an absolute fuckton of coal, I acknowledge that it might be less easy to get to than some overseas mines, but I don't think it's going to be a huge deal.
    Can I suggest you read through the Annual Reports of the big US Electricity Generators? Companies like Duke Energy or Exelon. These are firms with massive existing generating assets. They discuss in their earnings calls and presentations the relative cost of power production, because they are in the business of making money by generating it as cheaply as possible, and selling it to consumers.

They all say the same thing: coal is the most expensive part of their generating portfolio, and they are investing in wind and natural gas. And the gap in pricing is not trivial. New coal (and bear in mind that coal in the US is dramatically cheaper than in the UK) is around $83/MWh. Onshore wind and gas are about $40 before any subsidy or tax credits.

But don't take my word for it, look at this chart produced by the US electricty companies themselves:

And the equivalent costs for offshore wind in the UK are much lower thanks to shallow seas, shorter transmission lines and economies of scale.
    Offshore wind isn't really economic anywhere right now. That will change as costs come down, but just look at the Operations and Maintenance line for the US - that $30 per MWh of O&M alone.

Now, the hope is that a few subsidies right now will lead to lower long-term prices (and that's probably right), but right now, it isn't really economic.
    It is subsidised to the tune of tens of billions by billpayers, that's how it continues. Same with UK onshore wind and solar.

Where in your table is the required back up generation and storage taken into account in the case of the weather dependent renewables?
    Look at the capital cost of natural gas: it's bugger all, less than $10 per MWh.

That's your backup.

You can build more than *five* new gas plants for the price of one new coal plant. And your operating costs are dramatically lower for the gas plant too, because you don't have to deal with disposing of ash, or maintaining those conveyer belts. You can also can turn the things on and off without it dramatically shortening their life spans. (Thanks thermal expansion and contraction!)

If you look at the UK, you can take those US numbers, and you can treble or quadruple the fuel cost. That's why I (and anyone else who has ever financed a power plant) stays well away from coal.
    I am afraid I don't take the US numbers. They're predictions for 4 years hence - current verified numbers would be of more interest, and even then I would need to understand the figures presented to a far greater degree than I do.

You have no argument at all from me on gas being way better and cheaper than coal - but Farooq and I were talking about wind vs. coal.

I also don't really take your point about not burning metallurgical coal in a coal-fired station. Metallurgical coal is a high quality product that burns hotter and with less ash than thermal coal. There is no theoretical impediment; it's not usually done because it's underselling the coal. Drax has adjusted to a lot of things - it's burning US wood pellets currently.
    The numbers are for 2027, because that's how long it takes to bring on stream a new coal / gas / wind plant. Nuclear is obviously a lot longer, and solar a little shorter.

The purpose of the table was US energy company CEOs and CFOs talking about today's capital investment decisions.

When they are choosing today where to spend their money on generation for tomorrow, what are the costs? (And, by the way, the fuel costs are all based on the forward curve.)

Re metallurgical coal: was the plant built to deal with the higher temperatures? If it's burning hotter than planned, then there will be more thermal expansion of the various components.

This is complex stuff, and different coal has different heat / ash / water / sulphur content, and you need to make sure that your plant is set up for what you're burning. And some plants are simply incapable of being economically converted.

And re Drax, they add a small quantity of biomass to their coal so as to keep thermals within range. It's not like they just dump wood pellets / avocado stones* into the furnace instead of coal.

* Drax almost certainly burns more avocado stones than wood pellets, because you can get them (almost) free from cosmetics companies.
    Not forgetting all those millennial brunches.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

You sound like you think I should care about judging it. You are just another shouty lefty shouting white privilege. I have explained why you shouldn't. I don't really care if you think about what I said or not. I will just judge you by your future words and either write you off as another corbyn or not
    "shouty lefty"
    I have to say, my Labour-voting family would be proud to hear you say that but alas it's just not me. I'm a shouty liberal, through and through.
  • Options
    I have commented about poor low earning friends here and castigated farooq for calling out privilege. So I will try and explain....know most of these guys since 87. We all started off about the same level....most of those that remain in min wage level jobs have never tried to better themselves they have always taken the view society owes them a better wage because they came from a poor background and never had a chance....exactly what I am talking about however whether poor white or poc....you have to make an effort to overcome barriers.

The left would rather hand them excuses why they stay poor and they sit there smug going not my fault see...
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

I have commented about poor low earning friends here and castigated farooq for calling out privilege. So I will try and explain....know most of these guys since 87. We all started off about the same level....most of those that remain in min wage level jobs have never tried to better themselves they have always taken the view society owes them a better wage because they came from a poor background and never had a chance....exactly what I am talking about however whether poor white or poc....you have to make an effort to overcome barriers.

The left would rather hand them excuses why they stay poor and they sit there smug going not my fault see...

Yes, but did I not congratulate you for doing exactly that? I even put it in French for a little extra emphasis. I mean, what more can I do than to say that's just the spirit people need?

You're fighting a phantom. Even when I agree with you, you're getting angry. I don't really understand.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"
    I have to say, my Labour-voting family would be proud to hear you say that but alas it's just not me. I'm a shouty liberal, through and through.
    You are a liberal in the same way that fish are mountaineers. A real liberal is economically small state and socially liberal. You are a guardian liberal that believes in a huge state and state control of most things
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    ping said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Has anyone read it?

Very funny.

Can you figure out a way to let andy know my email address? Or some other solution to this situation, without me publicly identifying myself?

Not that i’m an important person, but, you know, I’d rather stay pseudo-anonymous.
    You mean you’re Liz Truss?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    I think the lens of generic 'privilege' based on the categories of identity politics is counter-productive in terms of the psychological "trick" that @Farooq refers to.

People are notoriously bad at estimating things like where they are on the income distribution, so that people in the top 10% will often imagine they are in the middle. Pardoxically, the identity politics defintion gives them a kind of get out of privilege free card because they suddenly have a new "trick" that allows them to see people well below them in the privilege stakes as being on the same level, despite this being very far from the truth.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    There are now 3 Contradictory statements regarding Harry & Meghan alleged car chase.🏎️📸

▪️1) Meghan & Harry Spokesperson describing it as a “near catastrophic chase…with multiple collisions.”

▪️2) NYPD saying “there were no reported collisions.”

▪️3) The driver of the taxi carrying the couple saying “I don’t think I would call it a chase. I never felt like I was in danger.”

Which version do you believe? ❓

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/1658949228687663105?s=20
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"
    You are a liberal in the same way that fish are mountaineers. A real liberal is economically small state and socially liberal. You are a guardian liberal that believes in a huge state and state control of most things
    Yeeessss, and I've spent quite a few posts yesterday defending capitalism against central planning and how international trade has made us all better off.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes, but did I not congratulate you for doing exactly that? I even put it in French for a little extra emphasis. I mean, what more can I do than to say that's just the spirit people need?

You're fighting a phantom. Even when I agree with you, you're getting angry. I don't really understand.
    You damned with faint praise while avoiding admitting there was no privilege in my life after asserting I had white privilege so no you didn't agree with me as far as I am concerned you still believe all white people are privileged
  • Options

There are now 3 Contradictory statements regarding Harry & Meghan alleged car chase.🏎️📸

▪️1) Meghan & Harry Spokesperson describing it as a “near catastrophic chase…with multiple collisions.”

▪️3) The driver of the taxi carrying the couple saying “I don’t think I would call it a chase. I never felt like I was in danger.”

How are 2 & 3 contradictory?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"
    Yeeessss, and I've spent quite a few posts yesterday defending capitalism against central planning and how international trade has made us all better off.
    and I disagreed with you about globalisation making everyone better off
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

You damned with faint praise while avoiding admitting there was no privilege in my life after asserting I had white privilege so no you didn't agree with me as far as I am concerned you still believe all white people are privileged
    You're a white cismale living in Western Europe. The absolute pinnacle of unearned privilege.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Andy_JS said:

BBC 10 O'clock News leading on the deficiencies of Brexit (wrt electric cars).

Remainer shite from the BBC. Brexit is a success! the fact beer is cheaper and sanitary products cheaper proves this.

The economy is booming, now paving the way for tax cuts, and household incomes are outperforming expectations. All good. And… breaking news! Sunak has just entered a room where two doctors were waiting for him and has been sectioned 🤦‍♀️

Didn’t take much pressure for this political novice PM to crack up and start spluttering gibberish.
  • Options

I think the lens of generic 'privilege' based on the categories of identity politics is counter-productive in terms of the psychological "trick" that @Farooq refers to.

People are notoriously bad at estimating things like where they are on the income distribution, so that people in the top 10% will often imagine they are in the middle. Pardoxically, the identity politics defintion gives them a kind of get out of privilege free card because they suddenly have a new "trick" that allows them to see people well below them in the privilege stakes as being on the same level, despite this being very far from the truth.

People are notoriously bad at estimating things like where they are on the income distribution

You're absolutely right. People have a tendency to subconsciously downplay their own fortunes, and this is exactly the point. In order to better understand our own good fortune, we need to consciously work against that tendency. This is really established science, so there's no argument. The only real debate to be had is whether it's worthwhile or not. I say it is, because it fosters empathy.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677

More accurate to write 2) & 3) contradict 1)…..
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    ping said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

ping said:

Has anyone read it?

Very funny.

You contact him via a private message. He can't PM you, but you can PM him.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Andy_JS said:

Remainer shite from the BBC. Brexit is a success! the fact beer is cheaper and sanitary products cheaper proves this.

The economy is booming, now paving the way for tax cuts, and household incomes are outperforming expectations. All good. And… breaking news! Sunak has just entered a room where two doctors were waiting for him and has been sectioned 🤦‍♀️

Didn’t take much pressure for this political novice PM to crack up and start spluttering gibberish.
    We have way more potholes, another Brexit success.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

You're a white cismale living in Western Europe. The absolute pinnacle of unearned privilege.
    You are a speed freak who wont take vaccines because they are tested on animals while painting yours cars with paints tested on animals while putting people in harms way with your speed freak ways.....hypocrite much?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Farooq said:

People are notoriously bad at estimating things like where they are on the income distribution

You're absolutely right. People have a tendency to subconsciously downplay their own fortunes, and this is exactly the point. In order to better understand our own good fortune, we need to consciously work against that tendency. This is really established science, so there's no argument. The only real debate to be had is whether it's worthwhile or not. I say it is, because it fosters empathy.
    I don't think it does. It depersonalises it so that instead of helping people look at their own individual position in life relative to others, they hide behind the group: "I'm privileged but only in the same sense as every other white male, even if they come from a council estate in a deprived area."
  • Options

More accurate to write 2) & 3) contradict 1)…..
    My point exactly… I’m assuming this “chase” was bought and paid for… like the Award …
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

ohnotnow said:

Hardly anyone, whatever their politics, in this country has even heard of Chomsky, let alone regards him as a hero. Even on an esteemed know-it-all forum like pb, Chomsky had to be explained recently.
    I think you under-estimate his name. 'Manufacturing Consent' is quite "current" in young "alt-right" circles in my experience. Which is a depressingly large % of the politically aware of that generation.
    The problem is that is what is current is a very facile interpretation of his views.

This is quite a significant problem at the moment, on both the left and right ; at times quite sophisticated critiques, dating from earlier periods, such as some of the Chomsy's ideas rooted in the new 1960's wariness of institutions, because of the commercialisation and twitterification of public debate, are only shared and communicated as facile conspiracy gibberish.

This also applies to parts of the left drawing on similar resources, I hasten to add, too.

There's been not too much new in the way of substantial left or right thought since around the 2000s, so people are often just drawing on simplified and half-digested versions of twentieth century thought at the moment.
    This is very much why I put "alt-right" in quotes. It's the simplified twitter/discord/disclose.tv ( of whom I am especially suspicious of - and I'm not sure how much attention they are getting) that are 'soft peddling' it to the low hanging alt-right fruit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,618
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"
    Classical liberalism wasn’t really about the size of the state but more concerned with free trade.

But I would say liberalism as a term has solidified into a certain world view that isn’t necessarily either small or big state, but emphasises:

- Free trade, regulated by common global rules
    - Multilateral decision making and governance
    - The rule of law
    - A capitalistic economy with protection of private property
    - Anti-monopolistic regulation
    - evidence based policy
    - universal human rights
    - civil liberties and the protection of personal choices
    - Democratic systems of government
    - A welfare safety net and free universal education
    - Ethnic and gender equality
    - Separation of religion and state

• Options

Farooq said:

I don't think it does. It depersonalises it so that instead of helping people look at their own individual position in life relative to others, they hide behind the group: "I'm privileged but only in the same sense as every other white male, even if they come from a council estate in a deprived area."
    Yes, this is a shrewd point. We should not focus too heavily on just one aspect.
    In my defence, I did try to say this from the very start, and I've assented to all the suggestions that people have brought in such as family background and wealth. All of these things are important. If you try to boil this down to just one or two characteristics, you're going to go wrong, nearly as wrong as imagining all this stuff doesn't count for anything at all. It does, and it's more complex than people want to think about.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"
    Classical liberalism wasn’t really about the size of the state but more concerned with free trade.

But I would say liberalism as a term has solidified into a certain world view that isn’t necessarily either small or big state, but emphasises:

- The rule of law
    - evidence based policy
    - universal human rights

That list there is fucking spot on. That's my politics right there.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"

- The rule of law
    - evidence based policy
    - universal human rights

As someone that regards themselves as a liberal I would disagree with some of those statements
  • Options
    I did a privilege test a few years ago and scored top (or bottom) marks on every metric. It was a little disconcerting.

White British, cis-male, hetero, able bodied, professional parents, private school, oxbridge, London, middle aged.

Funny thing is I expect I’m probably in the large majority on this forum.

At least since 2020 I can finally add a disadvantage, my non-EU passport.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"

- The rule of law
    - evidence based policy
    - universal human rights

As someone that regards themselves as a liberal I would disagree with some of those statements
    Are you perhaps more libertarian?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

You may not be serious, but I think this is turning into a serious moment in the Sunak Premiership. He suddenly seems desperate to give out good news. And does this not make us think, when has it ever been different with Rishi? A quite significant opinion could be forming of the Primeminister in this period. The buoyant fantasy nonsense from Rishi today won’t go down well right across the political spectrum, not just those voters now identifying with an opposition party and wanting change of government, Tory voters, Tory members, experienced Tory MPs will all despair at this out of touch messaging. Prediction. Following todays “Crisis? What crisis” error from Sunak, a solid 2% poll drop for Tories incoming. Where the Tory averages been pushing 28%, expect that average hovering just above 26 in a very short period like mid June.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I did a privilege test a few years ago and scored top (or bottom) marks on every metric. It was a little disconcerting.

White British, cis-male, hetero, able bodied, professional parents, private school, oxbridge, London, middle aged.

Unless your parents played a part in getting you where you are now, ie you got jobs through who they knew than rather than who you were as a candidate then professional parents arent relevant
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.

So that's the concept.

I'm not a lefty.

"shouty lefty"

- The rule of law
    - evidence based policy
    - universal human rights

Are you perhaps more libertarian?
    I tend to the libertarian end of liberalism I don't deny however pure libertarianism has a lot of issues.

Things for example I disagee with are universal human rights, multilateral decision making and free trade covered by global rules
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

Unless your parents played a part in getting you where you are now, ie you got jobs through who they knew than rather than who you were as a candidate then professional parents arent relevant
    I would say yes and no, on that. I noticed several peers, growing up, benefitting from the condition of very pushily professional and/or intellectual parents, as I did.

However, I would raise some questions on the whole idea of unearned privilege. Does anyone "earn" or "un-earn" the conditions of their birth ? You barely have much independent control of your life until later teens. This is not to say that, in a meritocracy, you would not expect some to end up with greater privilege than others, but does that mean that others haven't "earnt" the right to the same level of education, security or support to begin with ?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I would say yes and no, on that. i noticed many peers growing up would benefit for from the condition of very pushily professional and/or intellectual parents, as I did.

However, I would question the whole idea of unearned privilege. Does anyone "earn" or "un-earn" the conditions of their birth ? You barely have much independent control of your life till later teens.
    Pushy parents are a completely different matter

are parents pushy because they get you to read?
    are parents pushy because they help you with your homework?
    are parents pushy because they teach you school and learning is important?
    are parents pushy because they employ tutors to help you on subjects you are struggling with?

I would say only the last could be construed as parents giving you an advantage and even then hell parents helping their children get exam results....
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

They very much are. They ensured I did my school work. Demonstrated in their everyday conversation and behaviour how professionals middle class people dress, act and speak. Introduced me to culture, music, arts. Took me to interesting places on holiday. Showed me how to manage money.

Children learn by imitation. It’s like life work-shadowing. By the age of 2, I was almost certainly already at an inherent advantage compared with many, simply because I had educated parents.

EDIT: and by the way I’m not ashamed of that. I’m very grateful - to them, and to the luck of having had a happy and healthy upbringing.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    edited May 2023
    Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

I think they are. It's the way you carry yourself, behave in meetings and so on.

It's what is usually ascribed to private education, but I think some state educated people benefit from it too.

Slightly mad idea: I've started to notice that church-going Christians seem to dominate upper management in a lot of organisations. Notice this particularly if I have to work at the weekend - pop in after Sunday service.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

TimS said:

They very much are. They ensured I did my school work. Demonstrated in their everyday conversation and behaviour how professionals middle class people dress, act and speak. Introduced me to culture, music, arts. Took me to interesting places on holiday. Showed me how to manage money.

Children learn by imitation. It’s like life work-shadowing. By the age of 2, I was almost certainly already at an inherent advantage compared with many, simply because I had educated parents.
    So how do you envisage giving all children the same chance. Sadly many parents are not like yours and do their best to stop their children being educated. They tell them its pointless as they will be a farmer/fisherman/miner etc.....they denigrate them for doing stuff like reading.....they don't provide an environment conducive to study.

Want to give all children an equal chance take them away and let the state raise them all. They will all have an equal chance....no chance but equal
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

He is perma-angry
  • Options
    Has Jolyon Maugham apologised yet for saying the Tories would never elect a non-white leader.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

He is perma-angry
    Rid the world people like you and I would have no reason to be...sadly we will always have idiots
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited May 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Has Jolyon Maugham apologised yet for saying the Tories would never elect a non-white leader.

I’ve sent you an email to your PB email address re: Nick Timothy’s book.

For the PB record: Despite rumours to the contrary, i’d like to clarify that I am not Nick Timothy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

He is perma-angry
    Rid the world people like you and I would have no reason to be...sadly we will always have idiots
    QED
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited May 2023
    TimS said:

Why should it be disconcerting? Be grateful. You had no control over who you were born to and there should be no guilt or regret about it. This concept of privilege is a bullshit idea designed to make people feel guilty for their exitence, it is the modern day equivalent of the Catholic doctrine of Original Sin and has about as much validity.

If you are really inclined to wallow in self satisfied self loathing and want to make yourself feel better then remember that as a man you are likely to live a good few years less than a woman.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Well men are certainly very entitled and many of them are very keen to deny women their legal rights and otherwise pay little or no attention to their particular needs.

If only there were political parties taking women's needs seriously .....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

For precision, he said:
    Do you think the members of your Party are ready to select a brown man, Rishi?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

For the PB record: Despite rumours to the contrary, i’d like to clarify that I am not Nick Timothy.
    I would like to clarify this statement:

@ping does not identify as Nick Timothy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I would like to clarify this statement:

@ping does not identify as Nick Timothy.
    Does Nick Timothy identify as Nick Timothy...if not it proves nothing
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

That's exactly what Nick Timothy would say. Do you float?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

You may not be serious, but I think this is turning into a serious moment in the Sunak Premiership. He suddenly seems desperate to give out good news. And does this not make us think, when has it ever been different with Rishi? A quite significant opinion could be forming of the Primeminister in this period. The buoyant fantasy nonsense from Rishi today won’t go down well right across the political spectrum, not just those voters now identifying with an opposition party and wanting change of government, Tory voters, Tory members, experienced Tory MPs will all despair at this out of touch messaging. Prediction. Following todays “Crisis? What crisis” error from Sunak, a solid 2% poll drop for Tories incoming. Where the Tory averages been pushing 28%, expect that average hovering just above 26 in a very short period like mid June.
    Sunak. “We are committed to bringing down legal migration” and blaming Boris points based system for a record figure - predictably published on 26th when Parliament in recess and everyone looking forward to holiday weekend.

How can what Rishi is saying about immigration today, square with his Chancellor this same day promising business leaders the government will be relaxing the immigration rules further?

Hunt says government to open immigration for key sectors. Jeremy Hunt promised business leaders he would work with them to overcome immigration barriers that prevent foreign skilled workers from filling jobs in the UK.

Suddenly this has become a “neither here nor there” government. These weeks around us today I think are a key phase in UK politics. It feels like some sort of political equinox for the UK, the beginning of something different, that will reshape things for decades or even generations.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Jonathan said:

Andy_JS said:

Sunak. “We are committed to bringing down legal migration” and blaming Boris points based system for a record figure - predictably published on 26th when Parliament in recess and everyone looking forward to holiday weekend.

How can what Rishi is saying about immigration today, square with his Chancellor this same day promising business leaders the government will be relaxing the immigration rules further?

Hunt says government to open immigration for key sectors. Jeremy Hunt promised business leaders he would work with them to overcome immigration barriers that prevent foreign skilled workers from filling jobs in the UK.

Suddenly this has become a “neither here nor there” government. These weeks around us today I think are a key phase in UK politics. It feels like some sort of political equinox for the UK, the beginning of something different, that will reshape things for decades or even generations.
    You could well be right, Moonrabbit. Until more recently it's seemed more unsure to me whether Sunak, or any other Tory leader, could turn things around.

There's too much incoherence. Modern British Conservatism appears to have run out of road and ideas more fully than at any time since the end of the Thatcher period ; and the somewhat desperate feel of many of the topics at the "Natonal Conservatism Conference" , at a time both when so many more people are suffering economically, and the shortcomings economically of our harder Brexit are also becoming very, very obvious, looks like another sign of this.
  • Options
    Gillian Tett article in the FT.

"A decade on, I still wonder if I was wrong to give my daughters a smartphone
    New research links young people’s worsening mental health to the age they received their first phone"

https://www-ft-com.ezp.lib.cam.ac.uk/content/da7bd5c6-1d29-4c40-8578-05966b84346b
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    edited May 2023
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

For precision, he said:
    Do you think the members of your Party are ready to select a brown man, Rishi?
    So Jo Maugham remains technically correct. They elected the lady with the risque necklace instead.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.
    The whole concept of "white privilege" is meaningless nonsense in my opinion.
  • Options
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Hi Fiona

*waves*
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Andy_JS said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

Go you.
    The whole concept of "white privilege" is meaningless nonsense in my opinion.
    It doesn't explain the whole world (far from it) but it is undeniably real. What the actual term means and whether it's useful or not depends on how it's framed and used.
This discussion has been closed.