Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just 3 of the April polls have LAB 20% or more ahead – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,770
edited April 2023 in General
imageJust 3 of the April polls have LAB 20% or more ahead – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    There has been an improvement for the conservatives and especially Sunak's own ratings but still a long way to go
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,583
    edited April 2023
    Broken sleazy Starmer on the slide?

Broken sleazy Truss beginning to be forgotten?

Broken sleazy Tories beginning to be forgiven?

Broken sleazy Johnson failing to make a comeback?

Or some or all of the above?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,480
    FPT:

MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    Apparently they have to ballot their members to continue strikes beyond those dates
    What was the turnout in result announced today?

Key question will be can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
    61% voted and 54% of them rejected the deal
    It gets complicated. Previously the RCN balloted by NHS Trust, which is why some areas were striking and others not. In Leicester the strike didn't reach threshold.

The RCN are planning a national rather than local ballot this time as I understand, so hard to know the sums.

Then there is the issue of the Staff council with the other unions, notably Unison.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,407
    Watch the Lib Dem number, the Tories could end up being squeezed by tactical voting, even if they are no longer in extinction level territory. The May locals are unlikely to be pretty, despite the Tories achieving dire results last time.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,583
    It's incredibly difficult to sustain a 20%+ lead for more than a few months. Cameron couldn't, nor could Johnson. Blair is the only UK party leader in the last generation who managed to, but he was a once-in-a-lifetime political genius who inherited a flourishing economy and benefitted from a fawning, over-deferential press. So, though I'm no fan of Starmer, he's still in pole position for 2024/5.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,717
    New Trump attack ad targets Ron "pudding fingers" DeSantis.

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1646855386773831680
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Watch the Lib Dem number, the Tories could end up being squeezed by tactical voting, even if they are no longer in extinction level territory. The May locals are unlikely to be pretty, despite the Tories achieving dire results last time.

I expect you are correct but the results will not be fully revealed until after the Friday counts and then we go straight into the coronation weekend which will drown out the locals in fairness
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,136
    On Topic

Only 2 with fieldwork entirely in April

Both by Omnisis

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,651

People seem quite impressed by this ... not sure why?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,783
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.
    Apparently they have to ballot their members to continue strikes beyond those dates

Key question will be can they get more than 40% of total membership to vote for more strikes?
    It gets complicated. Previously the RCN balloted by NHS Trust, which is why some areas were striking and others not. In Leicester the strike didn't reach threshold.

The RCN are planning a national rather than local ballot this time as I understand, so hard to know the sums.

Then there is the issue of the Staff council with the other unions, notably Unison.
    The head of Unison health has just said her membership ballot was overwhelming at 74% acceptance and she said she thought the RCN was much closer which it is and it seems Unison are not going to give up on this rise, but the unions are divided
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,108
    Ringgo parking app
    Incorrect code for the carpark on the app
    Automated phone line thought l was an a, c was an o...
    Just hopeless really
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,108
    So unison accepts, RCN rejects what on earth happens now
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919
    Pulpstar said:

Subs for RCN membership go up by more than inflation.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Foxy said:

FPT:

MikeL said:

dixiedean said:

RCN rejects pay offer

54%.
    Strike April 30 -May 2.

The head of Unison health has just said her membership ballot was overwhelming at 74% acceptance and she said she thought the RCN was much closer which it is and it seems Unison are nit going to give up this rise but also the unions are divided
    The Unions though will take a common approach. That is what the staff council is for. Some of the smaller unions are still voting too.

This is from Unison:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Fishing said:

It's incredibly difficult to sustain a 20%+ lead for more than a few months. Cameron couldn't, nor could Johnson. Blair is the only UK party leader in the last generation who managed to, but he was a once-in-a-lifetime political genius who inherited a flourishing economy and benefitted from a fawning, over-deferential press. So, though I'm no fan of Starmer, he's still in pole position for 2024/5.

I agree with your point but I'd have thought the fact Blair in opposition was faced with an (ostensibly) flourishing economy would have dampened his poll leads rather than boosted them, ie that particular factor plays the opposite way to the others you mention; his genius and the supportive press.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The RCN have to ballot their membership to continue strikes beyond the 2nd May and as their result was just 30% of the membership rejecting the offer, then they may well struggle to get 40% of the whole membership to endorse further strikes in which case I assume they will have to concede
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,086
    The Tory number is rising, the Labour number is falling slightly. That strongly suggests Sunak is harvesting previous Don’t Knows. This is an important and necessary start, but the real goal has to be winning back the switchers. That’s the gamechanger. It could happen but it isn’t happening yet.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    It was an easy, barely any hesitation yes vote and speaking to fellow colleagues they said the same.
  • Options

The Tory number is rising, the Labour number is falling slightly. That strongly suggests Sunak is harvesting previous Don’t Knows. This is an important and necessary start, but the real goal has to be winning back the switchers. That’s the gamechanger. It could happen but it isn’t happening yet.

I agree and it may take the next 18 months and a successful campaign by Sunak to prevent a Labour majority government
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

The RCN have to ballot their membership to continue strikes beyond the 2nd May and as their result was just 30% of the membership rejecting the offer, then they may well struggle to get 40% of the whole membership to endorse further strikes in which case I assume they will have to concede
    It's more complicated than that.

The threshold for turnout is 50%, but a simple majority of the votes need to strike, so in theory 25% +1 voting to strike is sufficient. Though a 40% threshold is required in some services too.

The Unions know the numbers as they have the results from other areas too.

Obviously though hard to get a good turnout on those numbers compared to the 98% of a 78% turnout in the Junior doctors vote.
  • Options

I agree and it may take the next 18 months and a successful campaign by Sunak to prevent a Labour majority government
    It'll need Hunt to be a complete genius in the Treasury. I really like the way he's setting about things, but it's a workman like performance so far.

Sunak on his own might edge minor gains, but it'll be a tiny thing in the big scheme of things.

The only thing thing that stops the odds being priced as a near certainty are Labour themselves. Corbyn hasn't gone away.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,492
    Pulpstar said:

Ringgo parking app
    Just hopeless really

RingGo is bloody awful.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

On the other hand, the Lib Dem total could be a source of shy Tories who quite like Sunak but don't want to admit it.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641
    DougSeal said:

How long ago was it thread headers were asking "When will we next see a Labour lead?"? Now the thread headers say it's remarkable when that lead dips below 20%. Well, admittedly in the strictest sense, it is indeed worthy of remark, especially on a website that deals heavily in polling, but it nevertheless shows how far Starmer has taken Labour since the Hartlepool by-election. Sure, he has had some help, but you can only play the opposition put in front of you

Polls these days that emerge with Tory 30 (+1) spark excitable overanalysis over what would be the reasons for the poll if it actually said Tory 45 (+1) at some undefined point in the future. It's an odd PB Tory quirk I think, I have no other explanation for it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,639

DougSeal said:

How long ago was it thread headers were asking "When will we next see a Labour lead?"? Now the thread headers say it's remarkable when that lead dips below 20%. Well, admittedly in the strictest sense, it is indeed worthy of remark, especially on a website that deals heavily in polling, but it nevertheless shows how far Starmer has taken Labour since the Hartlepool by-election. Sure, he has had some help, but you can only play the opposition put in front of you

Polls these days that emerge with Tory 30 (+1) spark excitable overanalysis over what would be the reasons for the poll if it actually said Tory 45 (+1) at some undefined point in the future. It's an odd PB Tory quirk I think, I have no other explanation for it.
    It's one of those weird mental defects out of an Oliver Sacks book, like mistaking your spouse for a hat, or thinking you are dead, as I remarked in another context today.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641
    Omnium said:

It'll need Hunt to be a complete genius in the Treasury. I really like the way he's setting about things, but it's a workman like performance so far.

Sunak on his own might edge minor gains, but it'll be a tiny thing in the big scheme of things.

The only thing thing that stops the odds being priced as a near certainty are Labour themselves. Corbyn hasn't gone away.
    Er, would that be the same Corbyn who is no longer a Labour MP, and has been deselected?

He remains alive, I grant you.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Ringgo parking app
    Just hopeless really

RingGo is bloody awful.
    This afternoon I couldn't get through to Ringo in Scarborough because my card was out of date. Very sneakily Scarborough council manages to ignore people like me with disabled badges and it was the same on the buses. The English oldie pass for people of my age does not allow me on the buses here.

Bloody Yorkies
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,816
    kinabalu said:

Surrealist, I guess ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,639

Omnium said:

Er, would that be the same Corbyn who is no longer a Labour MP, and has been deselected?

He remains alive, I grant you.
    Oh, the Tories will be giving out free Corbyn horror masks come late October.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,547
    More importantly, it is 7C and with a nasty wind chill here in Primrose Hill reiver country. Like fucking January
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,054
    It will be interesting to see what the national equivalent vote lead is for Labour at the local elections. I reckon 10 to 12 percentage points.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,361
    Per RCN:

"In England and Scotland, the law also states that for workers whose role involves the delivery of “important public services”, trade unions must meet an additional 40% support threshold among all workers eligible to vote, as well as the 50% turnout threshold, for action to be lawful."

Surely NHS nursing must be an "important public service"?

https://www.rcn.org.uk/magazines/Action/2022/Jul/Industrial-action
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    These weird rumours about the Nits are still floating about Twitter

"Breaknews A growing number of #SNP politicians removing any mention of the #SNP from their social media accounts appears to be a first step to resigning the whip before the party is declared bankrupt? However the membership data cannot be used for a new party. Big Trouble"

https://twitter.com/DavidDhenry/status/1646870302851203073?s=20

"Does anyone in the Twittersphere have any idea why a number of SNP MP's and MSP's have deleted reference to the SNP from their social media bios? I've asked my own MSP but she hasn't responded yet."

https://twitter.com/CameronMcNeish/status/1646914129913888770?s=20
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,953
    Leon said:

More importantly, it is 7C and with a nasty wind chill here in Primrose Hill reiver country. Like fucking January

25 in Louisville, Kentucky.
  • Options
    But a riposte:

"They aren’t. If you use web archive to look back you will see they haven’t changed. Only exception I have seen was when Nicola updated her bio and she simply deleted SNP leader.

It’s a mental conspiracy theory and I wonder why people think this is a great use of their time. "

https://twitter.com/AustinRSheridan/status/1646923375946653718?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

"Breaknews A growing number of #SNP politicians removing any mention of the #SNP from their social media accounts appears to be a first step to resigning the whip before the party is declared bankrupt? However the membership data cannot be used for a new party. Big Trouble"

"Does anyone in the Twittersphere have any idea why a number of SNP MP's and MSP's have deleted reference to the SNP from their social media bios? I've asked my own MSP but she hasn't responded yet."

I think this is a conspiracy theory.
    Branding adherence seems to be spotty across the board, and if there’s plot afoot by SNPers, many of them did not seem to get the same memo.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,815
    The RCN offer was pretty poor and I am surprised the leadership recommended it. It is hardly surprising that members marched to the top of the hill seeking 19% were somewhat underwhelmed with 5% + a non recurring 6% bonus. It is just not enough.

We can't afford any more of this. The government should tweak the offer, say 7% pay and 4% bonus and get acceptance. And junior doctors should be offered the same.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

Branding adherence seems to be spotty across the board, and if there’s plot afoot by SNPers, many of them did not seem to get the same memo.
    Yes, I think it's a non-story. But a fun one, nonetheless

Because it shows how bad things are for the Nats, that lots of people will easily believe they are indeed about to go bankrupt
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,827
    Leon said:

It's easy to forget the SNP have been in power in Scotland longer than the Tories have in the UK.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Because it shows how bad things are for the Nats, that lots of people will easily believe they are indeed about to go bankrupt
    I still can’t explain the campervan that nobody knows how to drive, though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

And that stayed parked in "his mum's drive" for two years

Even better is the fact that only Sturgeon and Murrell knew that the SNP auditors had resigned, for six entire months. Just two people in the whole of Scotland, apparently. And when asked, Sturgeon told people to "shut up talking about the finances. The finances are fine"

Delicious

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

It's easy to forget the SNP have been in power in Scotland longer than the Tories have in the UK.
    What about Labour in Wales?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,836
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Surrealist, I guess ?
    The ad is gross. Yuk. And until the last bit at the end where they say very quickly whose funded it, you don't really know. Could have been a Democrats ad. I'm guessing that in America because there isn't an election on currently they assume (correctly?) that people will know it is a Trump ad against DeSantis.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Leon said:

Preferable to the weather on 19th July last year when it hit 40 degrees. I remember the post you wrote about what it was like in London on that day.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Even better is the fact that only Sturgeon and Murrell knew that the SNP auditors had resigned, for six entire months. Just two people in the whole of Scotland, apparently. And when asked, Sturgeon told people to "shut up talking about the finances. The finances are fine"

Delicious

The fact that neither Sturgeon nor Murrell know how to drive - in a country like Scotland - is deeply, deeply odd.

Odder than the obviously odd thing about then.
  • Options
    Big drug score by SDNY.

USA Williams on today's indictments against the Chapitos and 25 others: “For over a decade, the illicit fentanyl trade has created a plague of addiction, death, and misery for Americans and New Yorkers of all walks of life. 1/6...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1646901757405020160
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,827
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Surely the SNP auditors also knew that they'd resigned? Or were they not told about their resignation?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

The fact that neither Sturgeon nor Murrell know how to drive - in a country like Scotland - is deeply, deeply odd.

Wings Over Scotland is explaining why Angus Robertson didn't stand for leader

https://wingsoverscotland.com/progress-to-nowhere/#more-136982

Ouch, And again it's the relative SMALLNESS of the alleged corruption that makes it worse. Billions corruptly wasted on PPE by the Tories is too big to comprehend, and your eyes glaze over. £110k on an unused campervan or £300,000 siphoned off a non-functioning company - people can relate to that, all too easily

The best bet for the Nats is that the entire leadership resigns and hands over to Forbes? Or this is going to go on and on and on
  • Options
    An AI-generated image wins the Sony World Photography Awards.

"Boris Eldagsen himself has come out and stated after the winning result was announced that this isn’t a photograph at all. It’s an image generated by inputs he provided to the Open AI photo tools".

https://mobile.twitter.com/javilopen/status/1646804222187393030
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,746
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Ouch, And again it's the relative SMALLNESS of the alleged corruption that makes it worse. Billions corruptly wasted on PPE by the Tories is too big to comprehend, and your eyes glaze over. £110k on an unused campervan or £300,000 siphoned off a non-functioning company - people can relate to that, all too easily

The best bet for the Nats is that the entire leadership resigns and hands over to Forbes? Or this is going to go on and on and on
    It will go on and on and on anyway. Forbes as leader isn’t a magic bullet. She brings her own issues with the membership to the table. She could in time reconcile those and turn things around, but she and the party would be in for a rocky couple of years with very little guarantee that things would turn round.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,956

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Ringgo parking app
    Just hopeless really

RingGo is bloody awful.
    The English oldie pass for people of my age does not allow me on the buses here.
    But does it allow you to vote?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

One senses though that the entire Scottish establishment is steeped in the gore, as it were, of unthinking loyalty to the Sturgeon project.

So there’s a kind of shock, and embarrassment, and a clinging sense of culpability.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,053
    DavidL said:

The RCN offer was pretty poor and I am surprised the leadership recommended it. It is hardly surprising that members marched to the top of the hill seeking 19% were somewhat underwhelmed with 5% + a non recurring 6% bonus. It is just not enough.

We can't afford any more of this. The government should tweak the offer, say 7% pay and 4% bonus and get acceptance. And junior doctors should be offered the same.

Joining the threads together...

The government had a pretty good March, which included getting (possibly reluctant) acceptance of the NHS pay offer by union leaders. That started to unravel as the details became clearer- the clever-clever structure is one of the reasons that teachers were so pissed off, along with the "it's got to come out of existing budgets" thing.

The boat-stopping is similarly looking less impressive now than earlier, and rightly so. So what exactly is a Sunak government for?

So yes, the government has deservedly improved in the polls since the start of the year, and if they can continue that (harder) things get spicier. But lest we forget, the current wikiworm average is L44 C29; this time last year it was L40 C33.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,233
    Oh God.

The housing market has been more resilient than I thought possible in recent months. And it appears first time buyers are responsible. Clearly the rental market is in a terrible (insert swear word of choice) state and so buying is still preferable. But how are they affording it?

https://twitter.com/resi_analyst/status/1646769169214455809

No prizes for guessing the answer (revealed in the thread): ultra-long mortgage terms.

We'll start seeing inter-generational mortgages - with terms of 50 or more years - being marketed, in London at first, in another five or ten years' time. Watch.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,504

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Dunno - we are a surprisingly urban country. This is fun:

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

It will go on and on and on anyway. Forbes as leader isn’t a magic bullet. She brings her own issues with the membership to the table. She could in time reconcile those and turn things around, but she and the party would be in for a rocky couple of years with very little guarantee that things would turn round.
    She's not a magic bullet, but she is intelligent, articulate, feisty, and almost too honest for her own good. I can't see her trousering £600k. And she already has 48% of the membership behind her

It is going to be a torrid few years for the Nits anyway, and recovery has to start somewhere

I guess, however, there is an argument for allowing Humza to stay in office and take the kicking at the next Westminster GE, then she can take over and start afresh. But then the counter-argument is how much MORE damage the Sturgeon loyalist idiot Yousaf will do interim?

Fun times!
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Oh God.

The housing market has been more resilient than I thought possible in recent months. And it appears first time buyers are responsible. Clearly the rental market is in a terrible (insert swear word of choice) state and so buying is still preferable. But how are they affording it?

No prizes for guessing the answer (revealed in the thread): ultra-long mortgage terms.

We'll start seeing inter-generational mortgages - with terms of 50 or more years - being marketed, in London at first, in another five or ten years' time. Watch.

Well, if people see them primarily as investments for the future it isonly fair that my unborn children finish paying for it.
  • Options

Cicero said:

On the other hand, the Lib Dem total could be a source of shy Tories who quite like Sunak but don't want to admit it.
    Pretending to be a LibDem to impress people? That's got to be a niche activity.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,383
    Leon said:

But a riposte:

"They aren’t. If you use web archive to look back you will see they haven’t changed. Only exception I have seen was when Nicola updated her bio and she simply deleted SNP leader.

It’s a mental conspiracy theory and I wonder why people think this is a great use of their time. "

https://twitter.com/AustinRSheridan/status/1646923375946653718?s=20

Sheridan is a Sturgeon shill, don't believe a word that clown says. The other two are prominent YES supporters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cicero said:

Pretending to be a LibDem to impress people? That's got to be a niche activity.
    It's more than you would be met with bemusement rather than hostility perhaps.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

An AI-generated image wins the Sony World Photography Awards.

"Boris Eldagsen himself has come out and stated after the winning result was announced that this isn’t a photograph at all. It’s an image generated by inputs he provided to the Open AI photo tools".

https://mobile.twitter.com/javilopen/status/1646804222187393030

Isn't it obviously AI? The hands are really bad/weird. It's always the hands
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Murrell drives, he had a nice Jguar, bet it was a "company car" as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,492
    pigeon said:

Oh God.

I've seen forecasts of intergenerational mortgages from about 2006, and we haven't had them yet: not least because they don't actually increase housing affordability much.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Basically, we don't have towns and accessible rural areas like England. It's postcards or tenements.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Oh God.

The rich have effectively had such things for decades. When property is so ludicrously unaffordable it makes sense. It makes no sense in any sane world though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Gosh have you gone to Red State? Brave, but why?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

They only have a month to get auditors to submit Westminster accounts, if not they lose all the short money , over £1M a year and that will mean they are down the pan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

I've seen forecasts of intergenerational mortgages from about 2006, and we haven't had them yet: not least because they don't actually increase housing affordability much.

My mortgage advisor told me to go for a 35 year one and to do overpayments. Flexibility.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They only have a month to get auditors to submit Westminster accounts, if not they lose all the short money , over £1M a year and that will mean they are down the pan.
    Currently debating whether to send my Friday evening reading electoral law. I suppose someone has to....
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

Presumably because (unless you are the Student Loans Company) the monthly payment has to at least cover the interest on the outstanding debt, and the first few years of a mortgage don't repay much principal anyway.

So what are these marathon mortgages about?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I had to transfer here.
    It feels v southern, culturally, despite abutting the Mason Dixon line.

My org has a hub in Dallas, I’ve just spent a week checking in on the team there.
  • Options
    Another observation on the vanishing poll leads question.

People Polling were always good for a truly spectacular Labour lead, mostly becasue they put the Conservatives so low.

We've not heard for a couple of weeks. That might be sensible (polling at holiday times is always a bit wobbly), but should someone do the equivalent of knocking on their door and checking they are OK?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    malcolmg said:

sarissa said:

Leon said:

Another prominent MSP who does not mention the SNP in her Twitter bio, despite being Cabinet Sec for blah de blah

https://twitter.com/ShonaRobison

It could be - probably is - sheer coincidence and/or nothing at all. But how delightful to speculate that the SNP is so fucked that they are going to disband and change their name

And another

https://twitter.com/AConstance23

And another

https://twitter.com/MathesonMichael

There are SNP proposals for a logo change to a more female- friendly image being discussed - maybe preparing for the big publicity(!) of a re-brand launch?
    More likely preparing for them going bankrupt.
    Surely there's some uber rich supporter out there who would loan them a few hundred k in order to not see the emabrrassment of the premier Indy party coallapsing like that? Murrell managed 100k on his own, I'm sure someone else could manage more.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,082
    We end the week with the Lab lead continuing to drift. Was 21pts at the start of March, 19pts at the start of April. Now 17pts. sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/02/britai…

https://twitter.com/bnhwalker/status/1646870585010429952
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Tbf any topic that you get your chops into will go on and on and on ...
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

My mortgage advisor told me to go for a 35 year one and to do overpayments. Flexibility.
    It's just one simple dynamic. You don't need an advisor.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,233
    DavidL said:

I'm also surprised that the RCN accepted. Consider:

(1) Who wins a public popularity contest - or a blame gain over service disruption - in a contest between the Conservative Party and nurses?
    (2) Unlike most private sector workers, for whom declaring open war on their employer may carry the risk of being made redundant further down the line, the nurses are completely unsackable. Everyone knows about the number of NHS staff vacancies, and the dire waiting lists. The system cannot afford to lose them.

The advantage in this situation lies almost entirely with the nurses. All the Government has left to try to dissuade them from holding a strike every week 'til Kingdom Come is moral blackmail about the harm caused to patients. But it's obvious that the nurses think that the decay of the NHS under current management is going to keep harming patients anyway.

If I were advising them, I'd tell them to settle for nothing less than the 10.1% that the Government is giving the elderly, plus an agreed timetable for further increases over the coming years to compensate for the diminution of their real-terms incomes caused by pay restraint during austerity. This is going to look reasonable to the public - it's not the 35% all in one go being demanded by the junior doctors - and the Government can afford the expense. It just doesn't want to, that's all. If ministers claim they have no more cash then they can simply be told to tax wealth more.

What we all have to appreciate about industrial relations - and this applies to both the private and the public sector - is that most employers don't want to pay people a single penny more than they really have to, and there are always justifications for pay restraint. When the environment is inflationary then the employer pleads poverty and claims that decent pay rises will simply lead to a wage-inflation spiral. When inflation is low then the employer suggests that employees don't need more money as a consequence. There are always excuses and always heel-digging.

This is why workers, when - as in the case of the nurses - they have their boot on the neck of a tight employer, should apply firm downward pressure until the employer surrenders. This Government resorts to all the standard ploys. It whinges about the wage-inflation spiral. It pleads poverty - though notice how it can always find another few billion quid down the back of the Treasury sofa to pay off its favoured social groups with pension rises and tax cuts. It's time, I would suggest, for the nurses to ignore this nonsense and keep applying boot to neck, until Jeremy Hunt feels sufficiently motivated to go rooting down the sides of the sofa again.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I had to transfer here.

My org has a hub in Dallas, I’ve just spent a week checking in on the team there.
    My maths prof brother lived for 3 years in Austin. The best time of his life, he says.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

They are advising me on some other bits and pieces too, to be fair.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

We end the week with the Lab lead continuing to drift. Was 21pts at the start of March, 19pts at the start of April. Now 17pts. sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/02/britai…

Could the Cons be Red Rum to Labour's Crisp?

Classy top weighted thoroughbred caught on the line by a nag.

Topical - it's tomorrow!
  • Options
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

(1) Who wins a public popularity contest - or a blame gain over service disruption - in a contest between the Conservative Party and nurses?
    (2) Unlike most private sector workers, for whom declaring open war on their employer may carry the risk of being made redundant further down the line, the nurses are completely unsackable. Everyone knows about the number of NHS staff vacancies, and the dire waiting lists. The system cannot afford to lose them.

The advantage in this situation lies almost entirely with the nurses. All the Government has left to try to dissuade them from holding a strike every week 'til Kingdom Come is moral blackmail about the harm caused to patients. But it's obvious that the nurses think that the decay of the NHS under current management is going to keep harming patients anyway.

If I were advising them, I'd tell them to settle for nothing less than the 10.1% that the Government is giving the elderly, plus an agreed timetable for further increases over the coming years to compensate for the diminution of their real-terms incomes caused by pay restraint during austerity. This is going to look reasonable to the public - it's not the 35% all in one go being demanded by the junior doctors - and the Government can afford the expense. It just doesn't want to, that's all. If ministers claim they have no more cash then they can simply be told to tax wealth more.

What we all have to appreciate about industrial relations - and this applies to both the private and the public sector - is that most employers don't want to pay people a single penny more than they really have to, and there are always justifications for pay restraint. When the environment is inflationary then the employer pleads poverty and claims that decent pay rises will simply lead to a wage-inflation spiral. When inflation is low then the employer suggests that employees don't need more money as a consequence. There are always excuses and always heel-digging.

This is why workers, when - as in the case of the nurses - they have their boot on the neck of a tight employer, should apply firm downward pressure until the employer surrenders. This Government resorts to all the standard ploys. It whinges about the wage-inflation spiral. It pleads poverty - though notice how it can always find another few billion quid down the back of the Treasury sofa to pay off its favoured social groups with pension rises and tax cuts. It's time, I would suggest, for the nurses to ignore this nonsense and keep applying boot to neck, until Jeremy Hunt feels sufficiently motivated to go rooting down the sides of the sofa again.
    As Unison have accepted the offer on a 74% approval and the RCN rejected on a 54/46 approval I really do not see the RCN winning from here

Indeed they have to ballot their membership to continue strikes beyond 2nd May, and with effectively 30% of their overall membership rejecting the deal there is a very real possibility the membership will vote against further strikes at which point the union leadership will no doubt have to resign
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

An interest only mortgage effectively has an infinite repayment term anyway.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,152

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

As Unison have accepted the offer on a 74% approval and the RCN rejected on a 54/46 approval I really do not see the RCN winning from here

Indeed they have to ballot their membership to continue strikes beyond 2nd May, and with effectively 30% of their overall membership rejecting the deal there is a very real possibility the membership will vote against further strikes at which point the union leadership will no doubt have to resign
    Unison membership is mainly other AfC NHS workers (likely to be on lower bands), not nurses, which explains the difference somewhat.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,954
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

If some-one borrowed a lot of money off you to buy something, and didn't look likely to be paying it back any time soon, wouldn't you put it on your property, if you could?
  • Options

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Unison membership is mainly other AfC NHS workers (likely to be on lower bands), not nurses, which explains the difference somewhat.
    Apparently they are ambulance and nursing staff as well as ancillary workers
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,943
    Leon said:

Snow on the tops in Cumberland.

• Options
    O/T

It's 7th July 1994 on BBC4. Top of the Pops re-run.
  • Options

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

It's quite possible it ends up in the mad space where the RCN both rejects the pay offer and doesn't get enough support to continue the strike; goodness only knows what happens then.

But bear in mind that the 54/46 vote was with RCN leadership recommending acceptance of the offer. People working for the state are really annoyed. The government needs to be very careful that it doesn't end up with the sort of victory that creates more ongoing problems.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,943
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Delicious

Basically, we don't have towns and accessible rural areas like England. It's postcards or tenements.
    The remoteness of the southern uplands is remarkable. Gentle, beautiful, utterly empty and to most, unlike the highlands, totally unknown.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,746

Crossover in January 2024?

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,795
    kinabalu said:

Could the Cons be Red Rum to Labour's Crisp?

Classy top weighted thoroughbred caught on the line by a nag.

Topical - it's tomorrow!
    I know its from a different discipline of racing, but it could be worse. The SNP vanishing without trace, just like Derby winner Shergar.
  • Options
    Just worked out that I am paying at least £500+ a month for a modestly flashy car that I drive about 20-30 times a year. Which equates to about £250 a journey. Not including petrol

I fear it may have to go
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I had to transfer here.

My maths prof brother lived for 3 years in Austin. The best time of his life, he says.
    Austin is severely overrated. People only like it coz it has Texan tax rates, a lack of winter (but brutal summers) and about nine actually walkable blocks of "downtown" - unlike Houston and Dallas etc which are utterly dystopian
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

PB is all the advisor I ever need.

Unrelatedly, how does one declare bankruptcy?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,152
    kle4 said:

Omnium said:

Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

pigeon said:

Oh God.

PB is all the advisor I ever need.

Unrelatedly, how does one declare bankruptcy?
    Im sure chatgpt can tell you :wink:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,376
    Leon said:

Just worked out that I am paying at least £500+ a month for a modestly flashy car that I drive about 20-30 times a year. Which equates to about £250 a journey. Not including petrol

I fear it may have to go

Alternatively, you need to get out more....
  • Options

Leon said:

I fear it may have to go

Alternatively, you need to get out more....
    No, I get out far too much. As in: I am abroad so much, owning a car in London is insane. It is fairly insane anyway, but in my case it is entirely insane

But I will be sad. My beloved Mini JCW 56 with the unique blue-black shaded roof. SIGH
This discussion has been closed.