Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB opens a 40% gap over CON in London – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,719
edited April 2023 in General
imageLAB opens a 40% gap over CON in London – politicalbetting.com

Exactly a month on from now we will be pouring over the latest local election results and if the national polls are in any way indicative then the tourists are going to be in for a dreadful night.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    First like Arsenal.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    SKS fans please explain
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,101
    There aren't that many marginals in London these days, because of previous higher than average swings to Labour in the capital.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
    tlg86 said:

First like Arsenal.

Newcastle !!
  • Options
    Greg Hands to lose his seat?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    Tourists? What will they care about the state of local government in London? :D
  • Options
    Cracking start by Hampshire in the Championship. My tip for top three again, but probably won't win. Good bowling attack though. Not expecting many draws.
  • Options
    This represents a 12% swing from GE2019 in London. 9 or 10 Tory seats would go to Labour, with the party needing around 123 altogether.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,018
    I thought Rishi, who’s brilliant, was turning it all around ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    edited April 2023
    Afternoon all 😀

The last London only poll I recall was Survation in the last days of the Trussite Period when great beasts like the Kwartengodon still walked the earth.

Without checking I think it showed a London lead for Labour in the mid-30s but it had a very large sample for a poll.

The YouGov is a 12% swing from the last GE.

The good news is the LDs would hold their three seats even with that electoral tsunami.

It compares with the 18% England swing in Monday’s Redfield & Wilton.

• Options
    This is a potential curve ball which might harm Biden’ re-election chances,
    https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/first-read/manchins-presidential-flirtation-raises-big-2024-questions-rcna77875

He cannot be serious ?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,645
    12 percent swing devours a 24 percent lead, so that's it for everyone up to Greg Hands on this list;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Conservative_Party_MPs_in_London

And the six survivors are nearly all in the sort of places that say "Kent/Essex, actually". Sometimes quite aggressively.

How do the people of Pinner feel about their Londonness?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,841
    Hmmm.

Buckingham Palace has said that it is co-operating with an independent study exploring the relationship between the British monarchy and the slave trade in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The Palace said King Charles takes the issue "profoundly seriously".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65200570

• Options
    Covid still kills the old.

The death rate for Covid still markedly exceeds that of flu for hospitalized patients with either virus (6% vs 3.75%), as seen among people age 65+, and is higher among unvaccinated, in the @DeptVetAffairs dataset..
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1643993099616804864

If you’re sick enough to be hospitalised, vaccination improves your chances, but not all that much. Of course the vaccinated are a lot less likely to be hospitalised, too.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,603
    Scott_xP said:

SKS fans please explain

BJO please explain
  • Options
    Depeche Mode play their new single with the BBC Concert Orchestra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9e_nZ4y_c
  • Options
    Perhaps he could run as RFK Jr.’s VP ?

Ron Johnson tells Maria Bartiromo that his priority as a US senator right now is "advocating for the vaccine injured"
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1643981076069744645
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

Buckingham Palace has said that it is co-operating with an independent study exploring the relationship between the British monarchy and the slave trade in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Sell of Buckingham Palace and give the proceeds to anyone who can show descent from someone affected?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

The wokeness of Charles and William is great for the monarchy.

Staunch supporters of the monarchy love wokeism.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Covid still kills the old.

The death rate for Covid still markedly exceeds that of flu for hospitalized patients with either virus (6% vs 3.75%), as seen among people age 65+, and is higher among unvaccinated, in the @DeptVetAffairs dataset..
    https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1643993099616804864

If you’re sick enough to be hospitalised, vaccination improves your chances, but not all that much. Of course the vaccinated are a lot less likely to be hospitalised, too.

Yes. I think Covid is rapidly becoming the disease that takes the elderly and infirm (traditionally the role of pneumonia). To a cynic its doing the nation a favour - culling those who are elderly and infirm, although to the people involved thats a horrible thing to say.

In related news we lost one of our cats on monday. Twenty years old, up till last week he was old but still himself - eating well, enjoying going outside. Sudden deterioration over the weekend, put to sleep on Monday.

That we all had such an experience - a full happy life and taken swiftly at the end.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,841

MattW said:

Hmmm.

I think Charles will make an excellent job of this, probably far better than EII would have.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    The Conservatives are polling about the same as in the run up to the 2019 local elections. Labour are polling about 14% better.

The Lib Dems are polling about the same. The polls were very volatile, and The Brexit Party were polling strongly. The latter translated into a a very big vote for independents, residents, local parties in the local elections. I suspect the latter will fall back heavily, to the benefit of the big parties.
  • Options
    Entirely off-topic but interesting:
    Tomorrow's World unveils the exciting new future which is digital audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPD1IKC3myA

Imagine if we had someone like Judith Hann today doing an excited telly review of AI!
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    It looks like Berlusconi's in for leukaemia and related lung issues.
  • Options
    Foss said:

It looks like Berlusconi's in for leukaemia and related lung issues.

Must be all the Lunga-Lunga parties.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,644
    edited April 2023

MattW said:

Hmmm.

Survival of the monarchy requires a base of loyal support which is maintained more or less whatever they do, most of which is not especially woke, + it needs the acceptance of the groups who are more or less indifferent but would exercise mighty power to limit it, or abolish it, if monarchy drifted too far from progressive opinion.

The slavery thing is undeniably a fact; it is impossible that the monarchy is not massively implicated - as is all power and wealth during the relevant period - and so it is sensible to take some action - as the Church of England has done.

ER II possessed a magic immunity because of reasons of being around for ever and never saying anything. Charles doesn't. The immunity is not coming back in our time.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,539
    edited April 2023
    FPT: Here's some data on egg prices from this part of the US (Seattle suburbs): The most common egg packages now sell for $3.39 for a dozen large eggs. (That has been true for several months now, so I have tentatively concluded that the Kroger stores where I do most of my shopping have decided to stay at that price, to keep consumer complaints at an acceptable level. I don't know whether that price is profitable for them, but suspect that it was not, but may be, now. Before COVID, and bird flu, the most common price was $1.99 a dozen, with specials from time to time, at $.99 a dozen.)

I expect egg prices to go down, a little, as the flocks recover from the bird flu. (Farmers may start vaccinating their birds, soon, I've read.)

Cage free eggs sell for more, as they have for years. Since I don't buy them, I can't give you a price, but I think the prices are at least a dollar more per dozen. (It occurs to me that the supermarkets may want a fairly large difference, since few buyers will feel very virtuous if they are paying only a few pennies more per cage-free egg.)

There are substantial variations in US egg prices by area, but, as far as I know, my experience is fairly typical.

(The price of chicken has come down. I often see specials as low as .$99 a pound for drumsticks and thighs, and sometimes $1.29 a pound for whole chickens. Those prices dropping earlier than for eggs makes sense, since it takes longer to raise layers than chickens for meat.)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2023
    Andy_JS said:

This represents a 12% swing from GE2019 in London. 9 or 10 Tory seats would go to Labour, with the party needing around 123 altogether.

Actually a smaller swing than the national opinion polls (GE 2019 had Labour 11.5 points behind, current polls have them about 19 points ahead on average).

I'm not sure that's entirely comforting to Rishi, mind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    London being so dominantly Labour is one of those things that seems like it has been around forever, yet from the chart it really has not. It's like 'senile old codgers vote Tory and young idiots vote Labour' - sure, there might have been some trends, but the intensity of the current imbalance is rather recent.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

I think Charles will make an excellent job of this, probably far better than EII would have.
    But apparently it's impossible to make an excellent job of this slavery business according to many on PB.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Andy_JS said:

Actually a smaller swing than the national opinion polls (GE 2019 had Labour 11.5 points behind, current polls have them about 19 points ahead on average).

I have some comfort for Rishi - in about 10-12 years when people are looking at the prospect of another Tory government they will look back at his 18-24 month tenure and declare 'He was ok'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I have some comfort for Rishi - in about 10-12 years when people are looking at the prospect of another Tory government they will look back at his 18-24 month tenure and declare 'He was ok'.
    Plus he's so rich it doesn't matter if he loses every Tory seat,,,
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Another startling local candidate change - Luton is Con 43 to 15. Lib Dems 19 to 33.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi will still have his photo on the Downing Street staircase, next to Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

But apparently it's impossible to make an excellent job of this slavery business according to many on PB.
    Bit simplistic. There are lots of issues around the idea of reparations for slavery. Who, how much are just the start. Then there is why is the caribbean slave trade different from other slavery? How far back does one go? Do we go after tribal leaders in Africa who sold slaves to the Europeans?

Its not a simple question.

No issues at all with increasing education about the issues. That could have been done with Colston in Bristol. History is complex. People bought and sold slaves. It was legal at the time. We do not regard that as fitting our moral compass now. In 100 years we may regard eating meat as abhorrent (some already do). Will we tear down statues of people who ate meat?*

*Probably.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Rishi will still have his photo on the Downing Street staircase, next to Liz Truss.
    Next to Sir Keir too?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Conservatives are polling about the same as in the run up to the 2019 local elections. Labour are polling about 14% better.

The Lib Dems are polling about the same. The polls were very volatile, and The Brexit Party were polling strongly. The latter translated into a a very big vote for independents, residents, local parties in the local elections. I suspect the latter will fall back heavily, to the benefit of the big parties.

We can compare polls from the same polling companies March/April 23 to March/April 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

YouGov 30.3.23 C26 L46 LD9 G7 R7
    YouGov 3.4.19 C32 L31 LD12 G4 B/UK12

Opinion 31.3.23 C29 L44 LD9 G5 R7
    Opinion 29.3.19 C35 L35 LD9 G5 B/UK9

Deltapoll 3.4.23 C27 L48 LD9 G4 R5
    Deltapoll 30.3.19 C36 L40 LD7 G3 B/UK7

Savanta 2.4.23 C29 L45 LD10 G3 R5
    ComRes 7.4.19 C32 L32 LD7 G3 B/UK9 CUK9

(Savanta acquired ComRes in the past 4 years).

So on average since 2019 C -6 L +11 LD +0.5 G +1 R-3

Quite a bit of volatility though.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,426
    edited April 2023
    For every single one of you betting on the next General Election you need to cut out and stick this paragraph on your wall, your desk, your front door, your wallet ... anywhere that will tempt you to stop thinking otherwise:

"My view is that the public has decided that the time for the Tory government is up and to let somebody else have a chance. In certain seats it will be the Labour Party that benefits most as being the force most likely to beat the Conservative. In a range of other seats the Lib Dems are going to do particularly well." @MikeSmithson

Mike is right. The sea change has already taken place and nothing now is going to reverse it. The Conservatives are going to get pummelled and they are only making things worse for themselves by a blatantly obvious series of revolting right-wing policies.

The public aren't stupid and we've had enough.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

For every single one of you betting on the next General Election you need to cut out and stick this paragraph on your wall, your desk, your front door, your wallet ... anywhere that will tempt you to stop thinking otherwise:

"My view is that the public has decided that the time for the Tory government is up and to let somebody else have a chance. In certain seats it will be the Labour Party that benefits most as being the force most likely to beat the Conservative. In a range of other seats the Lib Dems are going to do particularly well." @MikeSmithson

Mike is right. The sea change has already taken place and nothing now is going to reverse it. The Conservatives are going to get pummelled and they are only making things worse for themselves by a blatantly obvious series of revolting right-wing propaganda.

You are not ALL the public.

I now want a labour government. If nothing else its their 'turn'. But the Tories are still polling around 30%, so your statement does not represent everyone.

• Options

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

Bit simplistic. There are lots of issues around the idea of reparations for slavery. Who, how much are just the start. Then there is why is the caribbean slave trade different from other slavery? How far back does one go? Do we go after tribal leaders in Africa who sold slaves to the Europeans?

No issues at all with increasing education about the issues. That could have been done with Colston in Bristol. History is complex. People bought and sold slaves. It was legal at the time. We do not regard that as fitting our moral compass now. In 100 years we may regard eating meat as abhorrent (some already do). Will we tear down statues of people who ate meat?*

*Probably.
    Sean Gabb traced his own ancestry to a family of really shitty landowners. One of them seduced his great-grandmother, a maid, and the family kicked her out when she got pregnant. He did raise the point, did he inherit oppressor status, or victim status, as a result?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

We can compare polls from the same polling companies March/April 23 to March/April 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

YouGov 30.3.23 C26 L46 LD9 G7 R7
    YouGov 3.4.19 C32 L31 LD12 G4 B/UK12

Opinion 31.3.23 C29 L44 LD9 G5 R7
    Opinion 29.3.19 C35 L35 LD9 G5 B/UK9

Deltapoll 3.4.23 C27 L48 LD9 G4 R5
    Deltapoll 30.3.19 C36 L40 LD7 G3 B/UK7

Savanta 2.4.23 C29 L45 LD10 G3 R5
    ComRes 7.4.19 C32 L32 LD7 G3 B/UK9 CUK9

(Savanta acquired ComRes in the past 4 years).

So on average since 2019 C -6 L +11 LD +0.5 G +1 R-3

Quite a bit of volatility though.
    Conservative support, as measured by the polls, really fell sharply through April 2019, though.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Mike is right. The sea change has already taken place and nothing now is going to reverse it. The Conservatives are going to get pummelled and they are only making things worse for themselves by a blatantly obvious series of revolting right-wing policies.

You are not the public.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 239

Heathener said:

Mike is right. The sea change has already taken place and nothing now is going to reverse it. The Conservatives are going to get pummelled and they are only making things worse for themselves by a blatantly obvious series of revolting right-wing propaganda.

I now want a labour government. If nothing else its their 'turn'. But the Tories are still polling around 30%, so your statement does not represent everyone.

I hope Heathener is right, but there is still a while to go yet, and the right wing media have not even started on their vitriolic attacks on Starmer and the labour party, and they will, let's see what that does to the polls, also these are just opinion polls, a real set of elections are happening in May, I think I will reserve judgement until we see those results.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,882
    mickydroy said:

Heathener said:

I hope Heathener is right, but there is still a while to go yet, and the right wing media have not even started on their vitriolic attacks on Starmer and the labour party, and they will, let's see what that does to the polls, also these are just opinion polls, a real set of elections are happening in May, I think I will reserve judgement until we see those results.
    Heathener is competing to be the new rogerdamus
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.
    I believe Heathener is accurately reporting the views of people who have expressed a political opinion to Heathener.

Mostly because if I knew Heathener and had a different political opinion, I wouldn't be so rash as to mention it to Heathener.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The rate Tories get through PMs, we need a Labour government, or an extra storey on No10 just for the photos - and we know how shit the current lot are at getting stuff through planning.00
  • Options
    Driver said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.
    I believe Heathener is accurately reporting the views of people who have expressed a political opinion to Heathener.

Mostly because if I knew Heathener and had a different political opinion, I wouldn't be so rash as to mention it to Heathener.
    Herself, in the mirror? While pouring 10 ml of boiled water into a thermos?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.
    Plenty (you too ?) were happy to proclaim that the "British people have spoken" over Brexit, on a much slimmer margin.

So your objection lacks force.

OTOH, I'm not all that confident about the collective intelligence of the public.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.
    Plenty (you too ?) were happy to proclaim that the "British people have spoken" over Brexit, on a much slimmer margin.

OTOH, I'm not all that confident about the collective intelligence of the public.
    Well quite. See also Brexit...
  • Options
    Lithuania's parliament adopts resolution inviting Ukraine to NATO
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1644006801254350848
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Well, depends on his spread betting position. Good way to lose richness.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.

Fairly obvious the post referred to the public collectively rather than every single member of the public being of the same mind. Doubt anyone would have picked up 80%+ of posters on here if they had used the same terminology.

And the public (collectively) have had enough. Less than 2 years and counting.
  • Options
    OK so YouTube just served up an advert for the Mormons. It was cool!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,827
    As a public service to PB here are some Scottish expressions with relevant emoticon which may be relevant to the current state of the SNP;

• Options
    edited April 2023

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.

Fairly obvious the post referred to the public collectively rather than every single member of the public being of the same mind. Doubt anyone would have picked up 80%+ of posters on here if they had used the same terminology.

Sunak has hauled back about half the damage done by the Trussterfuck, and that's worth having for the Conservatives. But all it does is turn disaster into quite a bad defeat.

And whilst there isn't the same fury there was this time last year, at the peak of Partygate, it seems to have largely been replaced by a complete lack of interest in what Conservatives say. Most of it won't happen, so who cares?
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Heathener said:

You are not the public.

Sunak has hauled back about half the damage done by the Trussterfuck, and that's worth having for the Conservatives. But all it does is turn disaster into quite a bad defeat.

And whilst there isn't the same fury there was this time last year, at the peak of Partygate, it seems to have largely been replaced by a complete lack of interest in what Conservatives say. Most of it won't happen, so who cares?
    tbf, as long as Sir Keir is so uninspiring then boring people into not really caring about voting either way is probably Sunak's best way of minimising the defeat.
  • Options

As a public service to PB here are some Scottish expressions with relevant emoticon which may be relevant to the current state of the SNP;

Interesting blog from Robin McAlpine:

https://robinmcalpine.org/how-bad-is-this/

He thinks Forbes will be SNP leader by Christmas
  • Options
    slade said:

Another startling local candidate change - Luton is Con 43 to 15. Lib Dems 19 to 33.

Here in Bracknell Forest, it looks like Lab and LDs have teamed up as they are not standing anywhere against each other. Lab are only standing in Bracknell Town and the LDs are only standing in the rest of the borough
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,936
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

*Probably.
    Don't forget that KC3 isn't just our King, but also the HoS of a number of Carribean countries. I wouldn't take the whataboutary of slaves in Ancient Rome to those Islands and expect a sympathetic ear. Neither would I take it to the former slave exporting Commonwealth countries of Africa.

This penitance isn't just for a domestic audience.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Isn't it in part a ceiling effect? It is easier to get a big swing to Labour from 30% than from 50%.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    edited April 2023
    Labour fighting dirty. Personally I think this goes too far, albeit the Tories at large have largely got away so far with destroying the criminal justice system and attempted to scapegoat various elements.

• Options

Labour fighting dirty. Personally I think this goes too far, albeit the Tories at large have largely got away so far with destroying the criminal justice system and attempted to scapegoat various elements.

Unusual for Labour to try to be tougher than the Tories on crime.
  • Options

Entirely off-topic but interesting:
    Tomorrow's World unveils the exciting new future which is digital audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPD1IKC3myA

Imagine if we had someone like Judith Hann today doing an excited telly review of AI!

Interesting video. Bad timing though because the compact disc was released later the same year.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You’ve forgotten NewLabour then, whom I found intolerably authoritarian.

In practice, it’s the Tories who have ended up being weaker than whale piss on crime. Your chances of being tried and convicted of pretty much anything are at an all time low.
    Tories are strong on creating endless new laws. Very weak on enforcing them as that involves money, time and effort.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474
    edited April 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Unusual and destined for failure. The Cons are the nasty party no matter the immigration mugs, the british jobs for british workers, and now the lock 'em up rhetoric.

See also - Cons could pledge to abolish the RAF and Lab could pledge to sell the NHS to Crispin Odey and they would still be seen as protectors of the armed forces and the NHS respectively.

Edit: plus of course the most notable recent non lock up of a sexual offender was in Scottishland.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,635
    edited April 2023
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

*Probably.
    Don't forget that KC3 isn't just our King, but also the HoS of a number of Carribean countries. I wouldn't take the whataboutary of slaves in Ancient Rome to those Islands and expect a sympathetic ear. Neither would I take it to the former slave exporting Commonwealth countries of Africa.

The only thing that was unique in the approach of the Western world in respect to slavery was its decision, strongly lead by Britain, to end it, something contested vigorously by other partakers in the industry, leading to massive expenditure by Britain in blood and treasure - Gordon's defeat at Khartoum etc.

Invoking 'the Romans' seems to me a rather pathetic attempt to imply that Britain was reviving a barbaric ancient practise, rather than partaking in a trade that had been a constant in human society since records had been kept.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Starmer would be very happy for electoral debates to be on such topics. He has expert knowledge.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Isn't it in part a ceiling effect? It is easier to get a big swing to Labour from 30% than from 50%.
    Yes, I'm sure it is.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

Andy_JS said:

In practice, it’s the Tories who have ended up being weaker than whale piss on crime. Your chances of being tried and convicted of pretty much anything are at an all time low.
    "intolerably authoritarian"?

In what way?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,523

He thinks that things are actually worse than they look?

Bloody hell.

I'm starting to think even @malcolmg has been underplaying it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Analysts believe that the UK should be building *at least* 300k houses a year, and some suggest we need as many as *600k a year* to make up the gap with other countries.

Tory planning proposals are expected to reduce current build rates to 156k a year, according to analysis from Lichfields.

https://twitter.com/paul_slg/status/1635720805987254289?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Analysts believe that the UK should be building *at least* 300k houses a year, and some suggest we need as many as *600k a year* to make up the gap with other countries.

Tory planning proposals are expected to reduce current build rates to 156k a year, according to analysis from Lichfields.

https://twitter.com/paul_slg/status/1635720805987254289?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

It wasn't that long ago that most people, whether on the left or right, were strongly in favour of preserving the green belts, because otherwise towns and cities would simply blend into each other, like they already have in some parts of the south-east.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Yes, it is an interesting piece.

This bit jumped out the page, but for legal reasons we shouldn't speculate as to what he might be driving at...

As a PR guy, where I’d be looking first if I was trying to find the biggest next bear traps is SNP HQ complaints procedure, how it was operated and whether there are serious incidents which were suppressed for political reasons.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It wasn't that long ago that most people, whether on the left or right, were strongly in favour of preserving the green belts, because otherwise towns and cities would simply blend into each other, like they already have in some parts of the south-east.
    I’m in favour of the green belts.
    I’m also in favour of proper densification, which Britain doesn’t really do.

You can have two of:

1. Green belt / countryside preservation
    2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
    Do you mean 'affordable housing?' Because 1 and 2 surely lead to three in a country as densely populated as ours.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

Unusual and destined for failure. The Cons are the nasty party no matter the immigration mugs, the british jobs for british workers, and now the lock 'em up rhetoric.

See also - Cons could pledge to abolish the RAF and Lab could pledge to sell the NHS to Crispin Odey and they would still be seen as protectors of the armed forces and the NHS respectively.

Edit: plus of course the most notable recent non lock up of a sexual offender was in Scottishland.
    It gets to the heart of an awkward problem for any political party right now.

It emphatically isn't the case that all government spending is good, or that the capacity to support it is infinite.

But the public sector has had over a decade of trying to do more with less, and the capacity for efficiency savings has pretty much run dry. Yes, we're paying more tax; google "dependency ratio" if you are puzzled as to what's going on.

There are lots of areas where the government's rhetoric simply can't happen, because of a lack of spondulicks. And that is in part becuase of the way of government went about rebalancing its budget from 2010. And continues to do so.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

In what way?
    Attempted to bring in 90 days imprisonment without trial. Attempted to bring in ID cards. Basically, all of the anti-terror stuff and much of the anti-asylum rhetoric too.
  • Options

Fighting dirt with dirt.
    Braverman effectively said the same about Labour.

Doesn't excuse it, though. And stooping anywhere near Braverman's level is not a good look.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    Late afternoon all 😀

2019 saw a very mixed picture and national polling may be too crude a device to build a picture of what might happen next month. What we saw last time these seats were contested was, particularly in parts of the south, an anti-party vote so various shades of Independent, Residents and local anti-large scale high density development groups do very well.

Both the LDs and Greens, often but not always in a tacit electoral pact, prospered and the victims in parts of the south were the Conservatives. However, the Conservatives were aided by the unpopularity of Corbyn’s Labour so results in the north and midlands weren’t too bad and the Tories also prospered in the south where the opposition was weak and/or disorganised.

This time, Labour appears much stronger and will be seeking significant gains across the country from north to south.

As a case study, the Conservatives control Dudley with a majority of 20 (46-26). The 24 seats up for grabs this time split 13 CON and 11 LAB in 2019. The split in terms of votes was Conservative 40%, Labour 33%.

For Labour to gain control of Dudley they would need to win 22 of the 24 seats on offer which means picking up 11 of the 13 Conservative seats which looks a tall order - I could see them winning seven which would put the party in a good position for the 2024 round.

In Walsall, the 20 seats up for grabs include 13 Conservative defences. Labour needs to win 8 to take control. That looks more likely.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
    Do you mean 'affordable housing?' Because 1 and 2 surely lead to three in a country as densely populated as ours.
    Yes I meant affordable.
  • Options

Yes, it is an interesting piece.

This bit jumped out the page, but for legal reasons we shouldn't speculate as to what he might be driving at...

As a PR guy, where I’d be looking first if I was trying to find the biggest next bear traps is SNP HQ complaints procedure, how it was operated and whether there are serious incidents which were suppressed for political reasons.
    I asked on an earlier thread what reportage there had been on the raid at HQ. Because away from the smirk factor of the Uddingston raid, that is where the real damage to the party could be.

Yousless is continuity nippie. So he has shackled himself to the ship as it sinks under the scandal. Forbes as leader of the internal opposition inherits whatever is left.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

*Probably.

We've been assured many times that all the Caribbean countries will be going republican. Most have had plans for such for a long time.

Not saying the penitance might not still be for more than a domestic audience, but I imagine King Sausage Fingers is pretty realistic about how long he will be head of state in any part of the Caribbean.
  • Options

I'm impressed.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Nigelb said:

Fighting dirt with dirt.

Doesn't excuse it, though. And stooping anywhere near Braverman's level is not a good look.
    As the saying goes if you descend into a pile of shit for a fight you'll both end up covered.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

*Probably.

The only thing that was unique in the approach of the Western world in respect to slavery was its decision, strongly lead by Britain, to end it, something contested vigorously by other partakers in the industry, leading to massive expenditure by Britain in blood and treasure - Gordon's defeat at Khartoum etc.

Invoking 'the Romans' seems to me a rather pathetic attempt to imply that Britain was reviving
    a barbaric ancient practise, rather than partaking in a trade that had been a constant in human society since records had been kept.
    Yes, there is a great quote on the subject from the Scholar and first Prime Minister of independent Trinidad and Tobago:

"The British historians wrote almost as if Britain had introduced Negro slavery solely for the satisfaction of abolishing it"

As a matter of interest several West African states have made public apologies for their role in the transatlantic slave trade:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2000-05-01-0005010158-story.html

https://www.modernghana.com/news/102692/ghana-apologizes-to-slaves-descendants.html

Ghana also has in interesting right of return policy to the African diaspora by means of apology.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm in favour of the concept of green belts. I don't think that is inconsistent with releasing say 1% of the green belt when our population has increased by almost 20% since the early nineties. The green belt area chosen in the early nineties should be respected but not sacrosanct forever regardless of circumstance.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

The obvious bear-trap is the retort "Starmer didn't prosecute Savile"....
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Probably right. Currently Labour win and Tories lose. No doubt.

But circumstances could (10%-20% chance?) so conspire that 'morally' they both lose ie, most people are against them both for reasons. It only takes Abbott, Pidcock and Burgon to try harder. Or some other Black Swan.

At which point one of the losers has to be on top. Since all politics is relative. It could be the Tories, as they currently hold the seats. If Labour blow it, the result as seen from right now would be pretty random.

Bet accordingly. And hope Labour win

• Options

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
    We leave planning to the developers. So we get rat tip Barrett houses thrown up where they want, offering microscopic bedroom executive homes and tiny gardens where they lay turf on top of rubble.

What we need to really push is the idea of younger people living in central apartments. Regenerate city and town centres, fit more people into a smaller space, bring shops and restaurants to life.

Instead? Crush in homes people don't want into places with no services and watch as these new estates slowly corrode into petty crime and vandalism hotspots.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Fighting dirt with dirt.

As the saying goes if you descend into a pile of shit for a fight you'll both end up covered.
    My favourite variation: If you touch shit with gloves on, the gloves get shittier. The shit doesn't get any glovier.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

In what way?
    Attempted to bring in 90 days imprisonment without trial. Attempted to bring in ID cards. Basically, all of the anti-terror stuff and much of the anti-asylum rhetoric too.
    There are plenty more - see the long Twitter thread here:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1231543272943898626
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
    I think we have all three. Typo somewhere?

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Plenty of hard line legislation from them.
    Their actual administration of law enforcement and criminal justice has been pathetic.

Frankly no one who’s been in government for several decades now has much to be proud about when it comes to dealing with child abuse.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,172
    If Labour want to lock up dangerous child abusers, will they call Tom Watson to do the job? In which case, expect anyone who has ever voted Conservative to be locked up, whilst Labour kiddie-fiddlers go free. ;)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2023
    Re the advert. The prisons are full to.overflowing with people who have been locked up. The libertarians want fewer sent to prison. The reality is we need more prisons. .
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
  • Options

How many were 17 year old boys with 15 year old girlfriends? Seems an odd stat.
  • Options

The obvious bear-trap is the retort "Starmer didn't prosecute Savile"....
    The Tories have already tried that one, and most people just felt sickened that they should sink so low.
  • Options

Re the advert. The prisons are full to.pverflowing with people who have been. Locked up. The libertarians want fewer sent to prison. The reality is we need mote prosons.

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

You can have two of:

2. Low rise cities
    3. Unaffordable housing

Britain chooses 1 and 2.
    Either there is a bizarre non-sequitur caused by a Vanilla malfunction here, or you have just suggested the solution to the affordable housing crisis is to build more prisons and lock people up in them.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

In what way?
    There are plenty more - see the long Twitter thread here:

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1231543272943898626
    That’s a rather silly list. I agree with half the things the twitterer is castigating.
This discussion has been closed.