Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thistle do nicely for Starmer – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited March 2023 in General
Thistle do nicely for Starmer – politicalbetting.com

Meanwhile, the price of a Labour overall majority on Betfair has drifted out to 1.77 (last matched), just as Labour look set to have a source of anything up to 25 seats that they wouldn't have expected two months ago. https://t.co/D1WNCxQbqi

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Test to see if the comments work.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    edited March 2023
    The quality of the puns is about 5/10 on the @ydoethur scale

Far too early to know what will happen in Scotland. The SNP have just started a game of 52 card pickup.

Edit: the pointers to what happen next will be a possible rerun of the leadership election and/or one of the other scandals popping open

If either of those happen, then the SNP will take permanent damage, I think.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    kle4 said:

Everyone keep an eye out later for the next thread, which will contain a subtle pun in its title. We were promised that.

I think you’ll find thistle be it.
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if I should keep reading PB and then I see a pun like that in the header and the wondrous beauty of that postscript. I just can't kick the habit.

I don't understand how the SNP establishment couldn't rally behind a better candidate than this one. I'm far from certain the one they landed with would survive to a GE even if he wins the leadership
  • Options

I sometimes wonder if I should keep reading PB and then I see a pun like that in the header and the wondrous beauty of that postscript. I just can't kick the habit.

I don't understand how the SNP establishment couldn't rally behind a better candidate than this one. I'm far from certain the one they landed with would survive to a GE even if he wins the leadership

Look around the world. How often does a political party rally round the sensible candidate vs the establishment empty suit vs the demented clown?

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Having posted his take on Humza......

Kate Forbes at the Pulpit

https://twitter.com/shiny02/status/1637401025563983872?s=20

ASH REGAN is Scotland's only hope...

https://twitter.com/shiny02/status/1637401527403806720?s=20

Contains naughty words.....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,224
    "Yousaf winning SindyRef2 on Sunak's watch" - talk about your long shots!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    @business

BREAKING: Switzerland is considering a full or partial nationalization of Credit Suisse as the only other viable option outside a UBS takeover
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Thistle do nicely?

Flower in Scotland?

Those puns are completely beyond saltire, they really are.
  • Options

Far too early to know what will happen in Scotland. The SNP have just started a game of 52 card pickup.

Edit: the pointers to what happen next will be a possible rerun of the leadership election and/or one of the other scandals popping open

It looks more to me like they're playing a whole pack of jokers.
  • Options

At least there was no pun jabbed in the postscript.

He is right about the irony though...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,441

Does such a paragon exist? I don't know Scotland well enough to know if a better candidate is holding back.

In which case, the SNP insurgents have botched this as much as the establishment. It's all very well getting rid of a leader you dislike, but you do have to have an alternative who is reasonably ready-to-go who the party will accept. It's not obvious that Kate Forbes is that alternative.
  • Options

Does such a paragon exist? I don't know Scotland well enough to know if a better candidate is holding back.

In which case, the SNP insurgents have botched this as much as the establishment. It's all very well getting rid of a leader you dislike, but you do have to have an alternative who is reasonably ready-to-go who the party will accept. It's not obvious that Kate Forbes is that alternative.
    Angus Robertson at least has a functioning brain.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

It's not obvious that Kate Forbes is that alternative.
    She's either their Liz Truss or their Kemi Badenoch......
  • Options

We're getting on a nice roll with SNP doomtalk but I'm sniffing an overreaction. Eg I'll be very surprised if there's a rerun of the leadership election.
  • Options

You mean she either wins and gets ditched in the summer or the SNP get hammered under Yousaf and she takes over in opposition?
  • Options
    Just found Bonnie Raitt on The Old Grey Whistle Test (what a randomly cool name for a live music show!)

It's nowhere near as good a recording as the live in Philly 1972 recording I posted before, but it does has video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgEqtCNtzU
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

We're getting on a nice roll with SNP doomtalk but I'm sniffing an overreaction. Eg I'll be very surprised if there's a rerun of the leadership election.
    If the SNP get 30% in Scotland it's ludicrous to think they would get no seats at all. True, I can just about imagine the vote might be inefficient so they're in single figures, but there are some seats that are fairly safely theirs even under nuclear scenarios. Na h-Eileanan an Iar for example seldom does crazy swings against incumbents - in fact, only in 2005, which is easily explained by Calum Macdonald's unabashed support for the Iraq War.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

More Sindh against than sinning?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    I think Meeks' twitter posts highlights the double-edged sword that is FPTP, particularly when you are party which is reasonably strong everywhere. It means that the SNP can basically win a landslide on around 45% of the vote but (on account of having no real safe seats) be effectively wiped out on 30%. By contrast, the SLAB vote is much more concentrated in the central belt which means they are well placed to pick up a lot of seats even if the SNP maintain an overall lead in Scotland.
    Labour don't need to *win back* Scotland from the SNP. They just need to lose by 5 points or less to win back a large number of seats. And to get that they might only need (if the polls are accurate) a 2% swing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Thistle do nicely?

Flower in Scotland?

Wel that one kilt it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Thistle do nicely?

Flower in Scotland?

Yes, I wish they all could be caledonian pearls - but they aren't.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Uttar Pradesh nonsense....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Thistle do nicely?

Flower in Scotland?

Wel that one kilt it.
    That doesn't aplaid in this case.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    Lineker off the tele again. Lolz
  • Options

Pre-emptive strike before he claims justification because of what that nutter Braverman has been saying?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

If the SNP get 30% in Scotland it's ludicrous to think they would get no seats at all. True, I can just about imagine the vote might be inefficient so they're in single figures, but there are some seats that are fairly safely theirs even under nuclear scenarios. Na h-Eileanan an Iar for example seldom does crazy swings against incumbents - in fact, only in 2005, which is easily explained by Calum Macdonald's unabashed support for the Iraq War.
    I agree with AM that a Lab majority is value @ the current 1.75 but I'm not factoring SNP collapse into the assessment. Gains in England - esp the RedWall - plus maybe 15 or so elsewhere should see them comfortably home.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Just found Bonnie Raitt on The Old Grey Whistle Test (what a randomly cool name for a live music show!)

It's nowhere near as good a recording as the live in Philly 1972 recording I posted before, but it does has video

From wiki.

"According to presenter Bob Harris, the programme derived its name from a Tin Pan Alley phrase from years before. When they got the first pressing of a record they would play it to people they called the old greys – doormen in grey suits. Any song the doormen could remember and whistle, having heard it just once or twice, had passed the old grey whistle test."
    Is Tin Pan Alley now Denmark Street?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

From wiki.

"According to presenter Bob Harris, the programme derived its name from a Tin Pan Alley phrase from years before. When they got the first pressing of a record they would play it to people they called the old greys – doormen in grey suits. Any song the doormen could remember and whistle, having heard it just once or twice, had passed the old grey whistle test."
    Ha, excellent. And of course the programme's theme tune would pass that 'test'.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

No

Denmark St is "now" Tin Pot Alley
  • Options
    VIDEO:

With all recent Putin's appearances in public, here's a reminder from Girkin on how to distinguish real Putin from his double.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637421039436038146?s=20

If this is correct, it is unlikely he was in Crimea yesterday....
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

Think it was in New York.
  • Options

Lost his voice shouting at the telly when Braverman's on. I can relate entirely.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    ydoethur said:

Pre-emptive strike before he claims justification because of what that nutter Braverman has been saying?
    He says a cold..
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not sure I agree. There aren't any SNP seats like Knowsley or East Ham, where they win 75-80% of the vote. The two safest SNP seats (of the top of my head) are Dundee East and Falkirk, where they get just over 50% of the vote. If the SNP did fall to 30% in Scotland both of those seats could be potentially vulnerable.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

It's notable that the SNP mouthpieces have gone silent.

Which for them, well - who knew it was even possible?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

Denmark Street got the same name as the NYC one because of the number of music shops it had, and it still has a couple
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,756
    While we wait to see who wins the SNP - I noticed this, which pertains to a quite different electorate. Curious that the Tories don't think there is anything dodgy about focussing solely on in person voting.

Fao @NorthHertsDC
    Returning Officer, are you aware that Hitchin & Harpenden @Conservatives
    , @BimAfolami
    MP’s Constituency are sending voters Postal Vote registration forms with a return envelope to the Conservatives?

https://twitter.com/CourierBoyUK/status/1637377899874361345
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905

kinabalu said:

Stuart not of his own volition.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    edited March 2023
    The New

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

Denmark Street got the same name as the NYC one because of the number of music shops it
    had, and it still has a couple
    The New York one lasted till the early sixties. Carole King and Neil Sedaka, amongst others, worked as weekly waged employees, writing songs for the "stars". As defined by the music companies.
    It was only the emergence of Dylan and then the Beatles which gave them the idea they could actually make a living by independently performing their own songs.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

BREAKING: Switzerland is considering a full or partial nationalization of Credit Suisse as the only other viable option outside a UBS takeover

I suspect UBS did a weekend of due diligence and decided not to become the next Lloyds.
    A weekend to knock out a robust, risk-adjusted valuation of Credit Suisse - no thank you!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He does but he's heavily compromised in the current situation.

He might be sitting it out, imagining that whoever follows Sturgeon is the Liz Truss of this particular situation, and he can put himself up once they've gone down in flames.

That does rely upon any investigations/revelations over the coming months not implicating him in any potential wrongdoing.
  • Options
    Past week RU losses claimed by Ukraine:-

5,820 enemy
    66 tanks
    84 armored vehicles
    81 artillery systems
    14 anti-aircraft guns
    9 air defense systems
    60 cars
    20 special equipment
    1 plane
    1 helicopter
    and 51 drones.

Which may not look too bad if compared to the allies losing 9,000 on D-Day.

Except - D-Day breached the Nazi's Foretress Europe with a bridgehead.

Russia's gain this week? Nothing of note....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

I suspect UBS did a weekend of due diligence and decided not to become the next Lloyds.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65004605
    …UBS is said to have asked the Swiss government to cover about $6bn (£4.9bn) in costs if it were to buy Credit Suisse, according to sources quoted by Reuters…
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

I'm not sure I agree. There aren't any SNP seats like Knowsley or East Ham, where they win 75-80% of the vote. The two safest SNP seats (of the top of my head) are Dundee East and Falkirk, where they get just over 50% of the vote. If the SNP did fall to 30% in Scotland both of those seats could be potentially vulnerable.
    But again, be wary of reading swing across seats, especially seats with small electorates. Falkirk for example might fall to Labour while Dundee East and Arbroath which has a much longer history and SNP presence might not.

It's also quite hard to see them losing Inverness-shire and Wester Ross even though they've only held it for eight years, or indeed Nairn, Strathspey and Moray West.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The New

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

Denmark Street got the same name as the NYC one because of the number of music shops it
    had, and it still has a couple
    The New York one lasted till the early sixties. Carole King and Neil Sedaka, amongst others, worked as weekly waged employees, writing songs for the "stars". As defined by the music companies.
    It was only the emergence of Dylan and then the Beatles which gave them the idea they could actually make a living by independently performing their own songs.

The Rolling Stones recorded at Tin Pot Alley (UK) in the late sixties

https://guitar.com/features/gallery/the-history-of-denmark-street-londons-music-epicentre/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He might be sitting it out, imagining that whoever follows Sturgeon is the Liz Truss of this particular situation, and he can put himself up once they've gone down in flames.

That does rely upon any investigations/revelations over the coming months not implicating him in any potential wrongdoing.
    Can't see how he's more compromised than Yousaf, who is everything Malc said and more on current evidence.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

Ha, excellent. And of course the programme's theme tune would pass that 'test'.
    "Stone Fox Chase" by Area Code 615.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    kle4 said:

Everyone keep an eye out later for the next thread, which will contain a subtle pun in its title. We were promised that.

I saw this shop in Edinburgh last October:

Although while I've seen the pun once before, I was clearly pleased enough by it back then to photograph it and send it to my mother in law. So a good pun nevertheless.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

A weekend to knock out a robust, risk-adjusted valuation of Credit Suisse - no thank you!
    You need more than a weekend to determine that CS is sufficiently free of risk. But quite conceivably it could take you less than a weekend to come to the opposite conclusion.
  • Options
    Florida bill would ban young girls from discussing periods in school
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/17/florida-bill-girls-periods-school-gop/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Can't see how he's more compromised than Yousaf, who is everything Malc said and more on current evidence.
    If certain matters are examined in more depth, the SNP will be viewing 30% in the polls as a golden era. The current evidence is the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

If certain matters are examined in more depth, the SNP will be viewing 30% in the polls as a golden era. The current evidence is the tip of the iceberg.
    Wow. OK.

It's impressive to think there's worse to come than fraud, embezzlement, falsification of registers and abuse of process.

Bad news for Sindy supporters.

Great news for anyone who wants the Tories out.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192
    Looks like SNP sub 10 seats at the next GE is a real possibility!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Forbes is their Kemi; absolutely not a Truss. Star quality. Look at the substance. Three key points

Like Kemi, Forbes has that rare quality that when she speaks you actually want to know what she has to say.

Forbes is straight and honest about her (IMHO wrongheaded) desire for independence : That to get there you need to demonstrate competence, integrity and a willingness to win the democratic argument over a long time. No quick fixes.

Solid integrity and willingness not to just be evasive about deep personal opinions and beliefs.

Conclusion: I am a politically centrist unionist with regard to E and W and Scotland. Forbes is the only candidate who is a threat to my personal position about that. But also the candidate who would be good for our politics and the moral mess it has got into, both in England and Scotland.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Nigelb said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/17/florida-bill-girls-periods-school-gop/

These people are so weird
  • Options
    That's an image I could have done without...
  • Options

VIDEO:

With all recent Putin's appearances in public, here's a reminder from Girkin on how to distinguish real Putin from his double.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1637421039436038146?s=20

If this is correct, it is unlikely he was in Crimea yesterday....

Saw a photo of him in ruined Mariupol and he appeared to be smirking. I do hope that was a fake.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,107
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

The former Daily Record political correspondent Torcuil Crichton is set to be the SLab candidate for Na h-Eileanan an Iar which various SLabbers excitedly interpreted as a sign that Labour are back in Scotland (not quite the pant wetting induced by the return of Dougie Alexander, but still).
    The incumbent, Angus MacNeill, has endorsed Forbes not too surprisingly, I’d guess a Forbes leadership would go down pretty well in the islands.

I note with some amusement that according to Wiki Ash Regan has had three endorsements, Joanna Cherry, Alex Salmond and Craig Murray. Oor Joanna sure can pick a winner.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Hat tip to Wings over Scotland but this quotation from 1984 where Winston Smith is revising the output of boots is just too perfect for the SNP's membership numbers:

"In any case, sixty-two millions was no nearer the truth than fifty-seven millions, or than 145 millions. Very likely no boots had been produced at all. Likelier still, nobody knew how many had been produced, much less cared. All one knew was that every quarter astronomical numbers of boots were produced on paper, while perhaps half the population of Oceania went barefoot. And so it was with every class of recorded fact, great or small. Everything faded away into a shadow-world in which, finally, even the date of the year had become uncertain."
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Nigelb said:

This sort of claim, so extraordinary though being USA not impossible, which requires textual exactness from the statute to show that it is true. We are not given it. We are given politicians takes on things. Not quite the same. Amazingly few politicians are any good at understanding their own texts.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Hat tip to Wings over Scotland but this quotation from 1984 where Winston Smith is revising the output of boots is just too perfect for the SNP's membership numbers:

"In any case, sixty-two millions was no nearer the truth than fifty-seven millions, or than 145 millions. Very likely no boots had been produced at all. Likelier still, nobody knew how many had been produced, much less cared. All one knew was that every quarter astronomical numbers of boots were produced on paper, while perhaps half the population of Oceania went barefoot. And so it was with every class of recorded fact, great or small. Everything faded away into a shadow-world in which, finally, even the date of the year had become uncertain."

Well, there was one boot around yesterday at least. And Peter Murrell got it...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,107
    edited March 2023

kinabalu said:

They took my IPad away when the suicide watch started you’ll be glad to know but I smuggled in a phone.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    Nigelb said:

Time to bring these policies to a full stop.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,598
    edited March 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. OK.

It's impressive to think there's worse to come than fraud, embezzlement, falsification of registers and abuse of process.

If anyone but Yousaf wins, they have a chance of clearing out the worst offenders.

If Yousaf wins, then he will continue on the current path but with a lot of people willing to tell all to anyone who will listen. Plus a probable legal challenge to the ballot anyway.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    ydoethur said:

That's an image I could have done without...
    I'm not sure what you are getting at sir. All this talk of body doubles?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. OK.

If anyone but Yousaf wins, they have a chance of clearing out the worst offenders.

If Yousaf wins, then he will continue on the current path but with a lot of people willing to tell all to anyone who will listen. Plus a probable legal challenge to the ballot anyway.
    Mulling over the possibility that Yousaf and Regan withdraw. Not likely, though.

Edit: but it woiuld resolve the election problem.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It looks more to me like they're playing a whole pack of jokers.
    https://youtu.be/-77sVQ7Zgv0
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. OK.

It's ironic that gaining seats in Scotland could be bad news for the Tories if it's part of an SNP wipeout.
  • Options

This just might reduce the enthusiasm for treating that election as a second quasi-referendum.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    You're pushing your Lucknow.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

I’ll take it - if you pay me £8bn
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    Rather OT, but Waitrose was mentioned earlier...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65006218

"John Lewis considers plan to change staff-owned structure

John Lewis is considering a potential change to its employee-owned business structure, upending more than 70 years of tradition.

The group, which also owns Waitrose, is currently fully owned by its staff, who receive a share in the profits.

But in the face of tougher trading, the firm is said to be exploring the idea of selling a minority stake.

The Sunday Times, which first reported the move, said the firm hoped to raise up to £2bn.

It said the firm's chairwoman Dame Sharon White was considering a potential plan to dilute the famous partnership structure in order to invest in better technology, data analysis and Waitrose's supply chain."
  • Options
    Mango said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Please don't Agra-vate matters.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

You need more than a weekend to determine that CS is sufficiently free of risk. But quite conceivably it could take you less than a weekend to come to the opposite conclusion.
    Yes, it has a bit of a delboy culture, CS. To be prudent and given the time pressure your 'contingent liability' number would probably be so big it'd sink just about any private sector deal. But let's see - maybe they'll cobble something together with sufficient government sweeteners and guarantees.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548

5,820 enemy
    66 tanks
    84 armored vehicles
    81 artillery systems
    14 anti-aircraft guns
    9 air defense systems
    60 cars
    20 special equipment
    1 plane
    1 helicopter
    and 51 drones.

Afternoon all.

I make that a higher run rate of personnel deaths (if accurate) than for UK losses on the Somme, which are recorded as 108k in 141 days.

All kinds of caveat etc.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    ydoethur said:

Mango said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Ahmedabad mood and these puns are doing nothing to cheer me up.
  • Options
    MattW said:

5,820 enemy
    66 tanks
    84 armored vehicles
    81 artillery systems
    14 anti-aircraft guns
    9 air defense systems
    60 cars
    20 special equipment
    1 plane
    1 helicopter
    and 51 drones.

Afternoon all.

I make that a higher run rate of personnel deaths (if accurate) than for UK losses on the Somme, which are recorded as 108k in 141 days.

All kinds of caveat etc.
    At least on the Somme they did advance 11 miles.

It was not really an adequate reward for the tens of thousands of deaths, but so far in Bakhmut they've taken one small, insignificant village.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Mango said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Are you as mad ras an axe?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Mango said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Chennai get back to you later on that?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. OK.

It's ironic that gaining seats in Scotland could be bad news for the Tories if it's part of an SNP wipeout.
    I am not sure that the Conservative and Unionist party necessarily sees it that way. A recovered SLAB secures the Union pretty much indefinitely.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wow. OK.

Well it wouldn't be. Labour gaining from the SNP doesn't increase the total of "not the Tories" seats. The last thing I want in Scotland is the Tories gaining seats, even if Labour made five times as many Scottish gains.

I'd be happy to see the SNP win every seat in Scotland as this would mean Tory losses.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

@business

I’ll take it - if you pay me £8bn
    Is the sort of thing I hear was being floated. Chance for UBS to screw everybody. Chance for UBS to screw itself.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Mango said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's not a Goa.
    Chennai get back to you later on that?
    Certainly, but don't Delhi too long.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ofsted-reading-south-east-labour-b2302643.html

Just been reading about a head teacher who killed herself in anticipation of a bad Ofsted report. This is because the school gets rated 'inadequate' if there are concerns about 'safeguarding'. Whilst safeguarding should obviously be taken seriously I feel very sorry for the people stuck in this system who get ruined when they get one of these bad reports. Not sure it is really that helpful having these rankings. It would surely be better if people just read the reports to get an idea about the school and its strengths and weaknesses, without the rather infantile system of marking that doesn't seem to exist in any other country.
  • Options
    darkage said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ofsted-reading-south-east-labour-b2302643.html

Just been reading about a head teacher who killed herself in anticipation of a bad Ofsted report. This is because the school gets rated 'inadequate' if there are concerns about 'safeguarding'. Whilst safeguarding should obviously be taken seriously I feel very sorry for the people stuck in this system who get ruined when they get one of these bad reports. Not sure it is really that helpful having these rankings. It would surely be better if people just read the reports to get an idea about the school and its strengths and weaknesses, without the rather infantile system of marking that doesn't seem to exist in any other country.

There is a grim irony in this, as OFSTED do not in fact have any meaningful safeguarding processes of their own. So according to their own logic they are an inadequate organisation...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

There is a grim irony in this, as OFSTED do not in fact have any meaningful safeguarding processes of their own. So according to their own logic they are an inadequate organisation...
    But do they have to look after children?

Presumably their staff spend rather a lot of time in places where there are a lot of children, though. But is that enough to trigger the need to safeguard, more so than (say) a delivery driver?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That's quite good - but I hope they resisted the "warning not an instruction manual" prefix.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

darkage said:

Presumably their staff spend rather a lot of time in places where there are a lot of children, though. But is that enough to trigger the need to safeguard, more so than (say) a delivery driver?
    Safeguarding isn't just about children, but also other vulnerable people.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

darkage said:

Yes. Because they are frequently left, unsupervised, with children by the demands of their role. And they wander around schools and other, even more sensitive places like YOI and children's homes unescorted.

However, there are some shortcomings - to put it mildly - in this process.

1) Ofsted inspectors do not have to carry standard ID.
    2) Ofsted inspectors do not have to identify themselves verbally or show identification if challenged. So there is no way of telling who they are
    3) Ofsted inspectors are not trained in safeguarding or GDPR by Ofsted. So there is no way of knowing whether they understand their obligations under KCSIE or GDPR.
    4) Ofsted inspectors have no whistleblowing procedure for reporting any lapses. The only thing that can be done is to escalate to the Head, who may then include it in their feedback form on the inspection process.
    5) Ofsted inspectors, although they are not in fact mostly working full time for Ofsted, are not obliged to register for the update service. So their DBS checks are usually out of date.

Which may explain how a former headteacher in Staffordshire - I won't say whom - was still working for Ofsted after being fired from a previous role for a safeguarding breach, proceeded to commit a further breach and is yet somehow still working for Ofsted.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

That's quite good - but I hope they resisted the "warning not an instruction manual" prefix.
    It's so hard not to. Ask those morons in Florida what they think about a Handmaid's Tale as they build Gilead, one idiocy at a time.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,579
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

From wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Pan_Alley

"It originally referred to a specific place: West 28th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues" in Manhattan"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I'm_a_Yiddish_Cowboy_-_Edward_Meeker_(1908).ogg
  • Options
    MattW said:

5,820 enemy
    66 tanks
    84 armored vehicles
    81 artillery systems
    14 anti-aircraft guns
    9 air defense systems
    60 cars
    20 special equipment
    1 plane
    1 helicopter
    and 51 drones.

Afternoon all.

All kinds of caveat etc.
    By the Somme, the British Army was beginning to show the levels of skill required for break through warfare.

Russian tank usage doesn’t seem to be up to British, French or German tactics circa 1918. Unless they are *trying* for a Music Box scenario….
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This just might reduce the enthusiasm for treating that election as a second quasi-referendum.
    By the SNP. Not by the other parties!
This discussion has been closed.