Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why the next election might not be a 1997 redux – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,636
    edited February 2023

I wish people would stop attacking @_KateForbes for her religious faith. She’s never shown any inclination to roll back rights as a matter of govt policy.I don’t recall any fuss about Ian Blackford’s membership of the same church. It is rank #misogyny

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1627223288232525825?s=20

Quite. Just look at HYUFD. He's never got himself all excited about Mr Blackford. I can't possibly think why.

Edit: esp. as Mr B has small family as well, I seem to remember it being pointedly remarked recently.
  • Options
    THE Scottish Greens may pull out of the Bute House deal with the SNP if Kate Forbes becomes First Minister potentially precipitating a Holyrood election, the Herald on Sunday has been told.

Sources indicated it could be difficult for the smaller pro-independence party to maintain a commitment to the agreement under Ms Forbes even if she adopted a pragmatic approach to governing.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23330975.greens-may-exit-snp-deal-kate-forbes-becomes-fm-prompting-election/

Joanna Cherry’s response:

They may not get the chance. The Bute House Agreement can be ended by either party. ⁦@theSNP⁩ has governed very successfully before without an outright majority. Perhaps it’s time for the tail to stop wagging the dog.

https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1627225122443501568?s=20
  • Options

I wish people would stop attacking @_KateForbes for her religious faith. She’s never shown any inclination to roll back rights as a matter of govt policy.I don’t recall any fuss about Ian Blackford’s membership of the same church. It is rank #misogyny

Ian Blackford was not the First Minister of Scotland. Being a widely-derided gobshite in a three piece twice a week is a very different thing to running a government.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It seems that the GRA stuff may not be the all consuming obsession of voters that the all consumed obsessives think it is.

I think most would agree, so why is Forbe's Christianity causing SNP figures to threaten to flounce?
    It’s certainly got lots of tabloids and ALBA supporters saying it’s causing SNP figures threatening to flounce, not necessarily the same thing.
    Interesting point is that it appears Sturgeon is backing Humza Useless, her pets are out this morning punting him big time. Surely unless her and Peter are counting the votes, she cannot believe he has even a remote hope. Also why not promoting her pet Macbeth who has always been groomed as her successor, skeletons must be rattling in the cupboards right enough.
    No idea who Sturgeon supports. Weirdly Eck (among many others) has been far more vocal on who should lead the SNP than Nicola.
    She is far more sneaky TUD, she will as usual rig it behind the scenes via acolytes and other methods rather than give an opinion in public , give Salmond his dues in that he at least is up and front about what he supports and wants independence.
    I guess I'm one of the few on here who will actually have a vote, so I promise faithfully to let everyone know when the fix is in, whether it's Murrell money or Sturgeon boot boys coming round.
    You will never know TUD, it will be done in the Magpie residence and evidence shredded or deleted prior to result. Will be many "I do not recall " moments assuming certain people are still at liberty. Please promise you will not vote Macbeth or Humza Useless.
    Haven't decided yet (& we still don't have all the runners & riders), still to work out which will cause maximum annoyance >:)
    TUD, If I was daft enough to fund the Murrell's I woudl be going for either Forbes or Regan , Regan favourite as she has at least shown she is for independence. They do not have much competition if a fair contest for sure.
    It needs a big clear out of clan and the Greens booted into touch, a bonfire of Imelda's pet charities who make the policy badly needed.
    Wonder if we will find out why she really went in such a hurry , for sure the shredders and disk cleaning would have been on overtime the week prior.
    Has anyone seen Malc & Joanna Cherry in the same room?

I’ve nominated ⁦@AshtenRegan for @theSNP leadership & I’m looking forward to an open & respectful debate about our future policy direction & #independence strategy. I really hope public televised hustings will be organised. #CourageCallsToCourage
    https://twitter.com/joannaccherry/status/1627258730688532480?s=20
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,217

I don't recall Ian Blackford ever umming-and-ahhing about throwing their hat in the ring to be First Minister.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

If Starmer has a problem, and I don't think it's a major one, it's that he needs to demonstrate his real personality; if such a thing exits. The small target, managerial, at-least-we're-not-the-tories policy lite strategy is effective but it doesn't really give you a sense of what SKS is like. I've never met Sunak but I know exactly what he'd be like if I encountered him in person. A pathetic boring little dweeb who's never heard of Rodrigo Moreno but would try to tell me about Microsoft Azure or some fucking thing. I have no idea what to expect from a personal encounter with SKS. Maybe he's a right laugh?

I've only met him once (at a campaign rally) - he seemed a fairly typical middle-aged, middle-class pleasant man with above-average capacity to focus. I dount if there is a rollicking jollly type underneath, but he's not nerdish or boring.
    He is genuinely into football instead of busking it like most politicians and he represented the McLibel Two for free so that's two ticks from me even though Labour exists only manage capitalism rather than destroy it.
    There's a steely professionalism about Keir Starmer. Many people may not warm to it but I've always admired this quality (steely professionalism) and for me he easily passes the dreaded 'like to have a beer with' test. He'd be a civil, calm, intelligent, reassuring companion for the hour or so it takes to sip a couple of pints, and I'd leave feeling absolutely fine. It's been a long time since I can say that about one of the main party leaders.
  • Options
    glw said:

MattW said:

That exact photo appeared extensively in our press in from September 2021.
    eg https://www.independent.co.uk/business/one-in-six-unable-to-buy-essential-food-items-in-past-two-weeks-survey-suggests-b1926442.html

The claim on twitter that it is from this weekend is just the usual dishonest garbage from a remainer-bot, and idiots who want to believe it, fall for it, or knowingly find it convenient for propaganda.

And has been on Alamy since then:
    https://www.alamy.com/file-photo-dated-130921-of-empty-shelves-at-a-co-op-supermarket-as-the-countrys-union-for-farmers-and-growers-has-warned-that-the-uk-is-sleepwalking-into-a-food-supply-crisis-image499425358.html

Excellent work Matt.

FWIW the only thing I noticed missing in Tesco's fruit and veg this morning is that they didn't have the particular blueberries I wanted so I bought the other ones instead.
    Yes, good work. Perhaps Brexit is to blame though, for Stuart's head being emptier than those shelves ?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,363

Tres said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- “… if the YouGov Scotland poll turns out to be harbinger rather than an outlier then I may revise my views…”

Oh look! Second post-resignation poll in a row with SNP well above that YouGov level (which was 38% incidentally, not the 29% shouted out in the PB piece.)

Funny how neither the Savanta (SNP 42%) nor this Survation poll got reported by PB. I thought this was meant to be a service for punters?

The SNP remain in a strong position in our 1st poll that has fieldwork conducted after Nicola Sturgeon’s surprise resignation last week. At 43% the party would be just 2% shy of their solid 2019 Westminster showing.

SNP 43% (+1)
    LAB 30% (+1)
    CON 17% (-)
    LD 6% (-1)
    Others 3% (-1)

https://twitter.com/survation/status/1627002594676690946?s=46&t=eNsBLMSATSn17GYQMqF1Tw

Even that poll has Labour gaining 8 SNP seats.

That is before the Labour attack machine lays into Kate Forbes as an anti abortion member of an anti homosexual marriage church, if as is likely she succeeds Sturgeon as FM
    Wrong. On the new boundaries SLab would gain just 5 SNP seats, balanced out by the SNP gaining 4 SCon seats. The British Assimilationist parties would still be floundering:

SNP 47 seats (-1)
    Assimilationists 10 seats (+1)

As for your Forbes prediction: duly screenshotted.
    Forbes is an interesting one. There is some risk to being devoutly religious in politics in nations as secular as ours. Tim Farron being the obvious example.

My own Scottish ancestors were Free Presbyterian ministers, and it is still part of the family culture. It is one thing that would prevent me from standing for election myself.
    Some enterprising journo should ask Forbes what her views are on evolution.
    She could just say she believes that a benign, creative force called God made the earth, but whether he did so over seven 24 hour days or over millennia of evolution is more information than she has access to. I think it's fair enough if you support gay marriage to be concerned about the possibility of her opposing it, but it is a stretch to say her very belief in God is a liability. Theresa May was a Churchgoer. Rishi Sunak is a practising Hindu - are you recommending he be quizzed on hinduism's creation myths?
    As an engineer, “Intelligent Design” is an insult to God. Look at the human eye - it’s utterly crap and requires a huge amount of processing to make the images usable.

Plus the idea that God kicked off the universe x billions years ago, and played a trillion gazillion bank snooker shot, knowing that humans would appear at the end of that is way, way cooler.
    It works though. And surely if it's so awful, it's an argument against millions of years of evolutionary development too?
    Evolution works on the basis of patching repeatedly to improve performance. Radical redesign from the top can’t happen.

Hence the human eye - millions of years of bodges to the original photoreceptors.
    That's why evolution is so good. It ensures that we have exactly what we need to survive. Other animals may have better eyesight than us, but we (and they) have the eyesight we need. That aligns perfectly with the creative design theory too. However we got here, we're the right design.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

If Starmer has a problem, and I don't think it's a major one, it's that he needs to demonstrate his real personality; if such a thing exits. The small target, managerial, at-least-we're-not-the-tories policy lite strategy is effective but it doesn't really give you a sense of what SKS is like. I've never met Sunak but I know exactly what he'd be like if I encountered him in person. A pathetic boring little dweeb who's never heard of Rodrigo Moreno but would try to tell me about Microsoft Azure or some fucking thing. I have no idea what to expect from a personal encounter with SKS. Maybe he's a right laugh?

I've only met him once (at a campaign rally) - he seemed a fairly typical middle-aged, middle-class pleasant man with above-average capacity to focus. I dount if there is a rollicking jollly type underneath, but he's not nerdish or boring.
    He is genuinely into football instead of busking it like most politicians and he represented the McLibel Two for free so that's two ticks from me even though Labour exists only manage capitalism rather than destroy it.
    There's a steely professionalism about Keir Starmer. Many people may not warm to it but I've always admired this quality (steely professionalism) and for me he easily passes the dreaded 'like to have a beer with' test. He'd be a civil, calm, intelligent, reassuring companion for the hour or so it takes to sip a couple of pints, and I'd leave feeling absolutely fine. It's been a long time since I can say that about one of the main party leaders.
    People said things like that about Jeremy Thorpe.

One had to be a bit careful though…
  • Options

Ian Blackford was not the First Minister of Scotland. Being a widely-derided gobshite in a three piece twice a week is a very different thing to running a government.
    He was party leader in Westminster - a position not without responsibility - including removing some of their talent to the back benches because they thought for themselves and wouldn’t toe the Sturgeon line. Until that Cherry tweet I wasn’t aware of his faith - it never seemed to be brought up.

Politicians should be entitled to a personal faith - only if it intrudes into public policy should it become an issue. As the first Queen Elizabeth said I would not open windows into men's souls
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    edited February 2023

It didn't stop the Tory and Labour attack dogs and their chums in the media for attacking Tim Farron for his religious beliefs though. And for switching every interview with him onto the question of his religious beliefs.

He was able in practical terms to distinguish between his religious beliefs and what was Lib Dem party policy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,480

Has Blackford ever taken a position on gay marriage ?
    Religious faith is irrelevant if it doesn't impact political stances. How are people judging the two in that point ? (I'm singularly uninformed on the detail if Scottish politics.)
  • Options

He was party leader in Westminster - a position not without responsibility - including removing some of their talent to the back benches because they thought for themselves and wouldn’t toe the Sturgeon line. Until that Cherry tweet I wasn’t aware of his faith - it never seemed to be brought up.

Politicians should be entitled to a personal faith - only if it intrudes into public policy should it become an issue. As the first Queen Elizabeth said I would not open windows into men's souls
    Some interesting points being made today.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    Nigelb said:

Religious faith is irrelevant if it doesn't impact political stances. How are people judging the two in that point ? (I'm singularly uninformed on the detail if Scottish politics.)
    Biden has always done a good job of swerving this problem on abortion.
  • Options
    The NI Protocol which the government is trying to improve was proposed and negotiated by Boris Johnson. He lied about what it meant (checks on the GB/NI border) and is now reportedly arguing that it must be abolished altogether. Even by Johnson's standards this is pure hypocrisy.

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1627275676377141249?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Wrong parliament, surely, for there to be a concrete test, one would think. Though somewhat to my surprise there was one -

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/divisions/pw-2019-07-09-427-commons/mp/25361
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It seems that the GRA stuff may not be the all consuming obsession of voters that the all consumed obsessives think it is.

I think most would agree, so why is Forbe's Christianity causing SNP figures to threaten to flounce?
    It’s certainly got lots of tabloids and ALBA supporters saying it’s causing SNP figures threatening to flounce, not necessarily the same thing.
    Interesting point is that it appears Sturgeon is backing Humza Useless, her pets are out this morning punting him big time. Surely unless her and Peter are counting the votes, she cannot believe he has even a remote hope. Also why not promoting her pet Macbeth who has always been groomed as her successor, skeletons must be rattling in the cupboards right enough.
    No idea who Sturgeon supports. Weirdly Eck (among many others) has been far more vocal on who should lead the SNP than Nicola.
    She is far more sneaky TUD, she will as usual rig it behind the scenes via acolytes and other methods rather than give an opinion in public , give Salmond his dues in that he at least is up and front about what he supports and wants independence.
    I guess I'm one of the few on here who will actually have a vote, so I promise faithfully to let everyone know when the fix is in, whether it's Murrell money or Sturgeon boot boys coming round.
    You will never know TUD, it will be done in the Magpie residence and evidence shredded or deleted prior to result. Will be many "I do not recall " moments assuming certain people are still at liberty. Please promise you will not vote Macbeth or Humza Useless.
    Haven't decided yet (& we still don't have all the runners & riders), still to work out which will cause maximum annoyance >:)
    TUD, If I was daft enough to fund the Murrell's I woudl be going for either Forbes or Regan , Regan favourite as she has at least shown she is for independence. They do not have much competition if a fair contest for sure.
    It needs a big clear out of clan and the Greens booted into touch, a bonfire of Imelda's pet charities who make the policy badly needed.
    Wonder if we will find out why she really went in such a hurry , for sure the shredders and disk cleaning would have been on overtime the week prior.

I’ve nominated ⁦@AshtenRegan for @theSNP leadership & I’m looking forward to an open & respectful debate about our future policy direction & #independence strategy. I really hope public televised hustings will be organised. #CourageCallsToCourage
    She seems like a good choice, personable, seems reasonably intelligent, and would allow the SNP to draw a line under the mess Sturgeon got into over the GRB. Does she stand any chance?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

She seems like a good choice, personable, seems reasonably intelligent, and would allow the SNP to draw a line under the mess Sturgeon got into over the GRB. Does she stand any chance?
    I wouldn't rule her out in a hurry at all. But as TUD says we have to see who else is running.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The thing about Forbes is I don't really remember her saying much about anything. She's one of the two likely favourites and other than the whole "she's a bit religious" thing (which I've seen no particular manifestations of) I know the square root of nil about her, really.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

It didn't stop the Tory and Labour attack dogs and their chums in the media for attacking Tim Farron for his religious beliefs though. And for switching every interview with him onto the question of his religious beliefs.

He was able in practical terms to distinguish between his religious beliefs and what was Lib Dem party policy.
    He was attacked for his views (and voting record) on public policy:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/whats-tim-farrons-track-record-on-lgbt-rights

And recanted his “it’s not a sin” position.

The former Lib Dem leader Tim Farron has said he regrets telling people he did not believe gay sex was a sin when he was forced to clarify his position during the election campaign.
    The MP said he had felt “isolated” and under pressure from his party to say gay sex was not sinful, suggesting he ended up misleading the public about his views.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/10/tim-farron-regrets-saying-gay-sex-not-sin

If a politician has deeply held religious beliefs that are unsupported in a broadly liberal largely secular democracy they have a tricky path to tread. I don’t envy them but at some point they have to choose what’s more important to them.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/feb/19/art-fair-visitor-breaks-42000-dollar-jeff-koons-balloon-dog-sculpture

O/T but just to show that some folk have a shite day (in this case the insurers, though I wonder if they will go after the lady in question)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,919

The thing about Forbes is I don't really remember her saying much about anything. She's one of the two likely favourites and other than the whole "she's a bit religious" thing (which I've seen no particular manifestations of) I know the square root of nil about her, really.

I posted a similar thought the other day. There does seem to be a lot of Penny/Kemi-esque projection surrounding her.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253

Tres said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

- “… if the YouGov Scotland poll turns out to be harbinger rather than an outlier then I may revise my views…”

Oh look! Second post-resignation poll in a row with SNP well above that YouGov level (which was 38% incidentally, not the 29% shouted out in the PB piece.)

Funny how neither the Savanta (SNP 42%) nor this Survation poll got reported by PB. I thought this was meant to be a service for punters?

The SNP remain in a strong position in our 1st poll that has fieldwork conducted after Nicola Sturgeon’s surprise resignation last week. At 43% the party would be just 2% shy of their solid 2019 Westminster showing.

SNP 43% (+1)
    LAB 30% (+1)
    CON 17% (-)
    LD 6% (-1)
    Others 3% (-1)

https://twitter.com/survation/status/1627002594676690946?s=46&t=eNsBLMSATSn17GYQMqF1Tw

That is before the Labour attack machine lays into Kate Forbes as an anti abortion member of an anti homosexual marriage church, if as is likely she succeeds Sturgeon as FM
    Wrong. On the new boundaries SLab would gain just 5 SNP seats, balanced out by the SNP gaining 4 SCon seats. The British Assimilationist parties would still be floundering:

SNP 47 seats (-1)

Forbes is an interesting one. There is some risk to being devoutly religious in politics in nations as secular as ours. Tim Farron being the obvious example.

My own Scottish ancestors were Free Presbyterian ministers, and it is still part of the family culture. It is one thing that would prevent me from standing for election myself.
    She could just say she believes that a benign, creative force called God made the earth, but whether he did so over seven 24 hour days or over millennia of evolution is more information than she has access to. I think it's fair enough if you support gay marriage to be concerned about the possibility of her opposing it, but it is a stretch to say her very belief in God is a liability. Theresa May was a Churchgoer. Rishi Sunak is a practising Hindu - are you recommending he be quizzed on hinduism's creation myths?
    As an engineer, “Intelligent Design” is an insult to God. Look at the human eye - it’s utterly crap and requires a huge amount of processing to make the images usable.

Plus the idea that God kicked off the universe x billions years ago, and played a trillion gazillion bank snooker shot, knowing that humans would appear at the end of that is way, way cooler.
    It works though. And surely if it's so awful, it's an argument against millions of years of evolutionary development too?
    Evolution works on the basis of patching repeatedly to improve performance. Radical redesign from the top can’t happen.

Hence the human eye - millions of years of bodges to the original photoreceptors.
    That's why evolution is so good. It ensures that we have exactly what we need to survive. Other animals may have better eyesight than us, but we (and they) have the eyesight we need. That aligns perfectly with the creative design theory too. However we got here, we're the right design.
    Err, no
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202

She's bright, qualified as a CA, speaks reasonably well in a head Prefect sort of way and can't stand the Greens. These are tick points for me but I agree they don't give a particularly well rounded view of what she is really like as a person. Those I know who have met her state she is as nice as she appears, which might be a weakness of course.

I just can't see the party of Nicola Sturgeon going for her. Sturgeon led her party a long way to the left on a variety of issues and frustrated the more centrist, centre right independence supporters to the point they formed a break away party. The party that Nicola built seems to me to be unlikely to vote for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan. They will want someone more on the left.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,774

ClippP said:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/whats-tim-farrons-track-record-on-lgbt-rights

The former Lib Dem leader Tim Farron has said he regrets telling people he did not believe gay sex was a sin when he was forced to clarify his position during the election campaign.
    The MP said he had felt “isolated” and under pressure from his party to say gay sex was not sinful, suggesting he ended up misleading the public about his views.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jan/10/tim-farron-regrets-saying-gay-sex-not-sin

If a politician has deeply held religious beliefs that are unsupported in a broadly liberal largely secular democracy they have a tricky path to tread. I don’t envy them but at some point they have to choose what’s more important to them.
    You can’t be a Lib Dem and take his view . So he’s trying to now say he wished he had been true to himself so basically telling gay people they’re sinners ! People don’t appreciate being judged and this is why I have a low opinion of most religions .

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,000
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

There's a steely professionalism about Keir Starmer. Many people may not warm to it but I've always admired this quality (steely professionalism) and for me he easily passes the DREADED 'like to have a beer with' test. He'd be a civil, calm, intelligent, reassuring companion for the hour or so it takes to sip a couple of pints, and I'd leave feeling absolutely fine. It's been a long time since I can say that about one of the main party leaders.
    Would anyone want to have a beer with you, tho?

I imagine one could get through 20 minutes with chat about your golf and some anecdotes of your time as a chartered accountant, but after that, hmm

it is a daft test, however. I imagine Hitler would be fucking compelling for a couple of hours of schnapps. Putin likewise, on the voddie

And everyone I know in Cambodia who has met senior Khmer Rouge figures (seriously, I have known a few) says they were very urbane and charming, highly educated in Paris, full of ideas and politesse

Also killed 2m people
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tres said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 43% (+1)
    LAB 30% (+1)
    CON 17% (-)
    LD 6% (-1)
    Others 3% (-1)

SNP 47 seats (-1)

Err, no
    Quite so. The mammalian eye is a fine example of bodge - the light has to pass tyhrough the nervous network to the retina, because of a historical accident of early evolution. Cephalopods have similar eyes eith lenses etc except that the nerves are behind the retina and don't get in the way.

And look at the mammalian dentition. Only two generations of teeth, because apparently the original mammals were so small and short-lived that the genetic ability to grow teeth indefinitely was switched off for good. Hence the weird contrivances in large herbivores such as sheep and elephants to try and make the best of it. Dinosaurs did a much better job.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

That was pretty well my point.
    Biden, despite the teachings of his church, for example led on gay marriage - against the then opposition of his President.

I’m in no position to judge Forbes, as I know almost nothing about her, but the objection to her appears to be that her politics is rather more swayed by her beliefs.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,555
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have had the pleasure of “having a beer with him”, except it was a glass of English sparkling and it was with dozens of other people at the drinks reception after Labour’s business conference.

As far as I can tell he was as others describe. Normal professional dad type. Sort of person I’d ask to act as witness for my mortgage application.

He vaguely radiated the aura of power but I would say purely by dint of his position, not through any superhuman charisma.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

She's bright, qualified as a CA, speaks reasonably well in a head Prefect sort of way and can't stand the Greens. These are tick points for me but I agree they don't give a particularly well rounded view of what she is really like as a person. Those I know who have met her state she is as nice as she appears, which might be a weakness of course.

I just can't see the party of Nicola Sturgeon going for her. Sturgeon led her party a long way to the left on a variety of issues and frustrated the more centrist, centre right independence supporters to the point they formed a break away party. The party that Nicola built seems to me to be unlikely to vote for Kate Forbes or Ash Regan. They will want someone more on the left.
    Having said that, electing someone on the left would make sense if Labour are a serious threat in central Scotland. SLAB would be pretty happy if the SNP moved to the right.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    ohnotnow said:

I posted a similar thought the other day. There does seem to be a lot of Penny/Kemi-esque projection surrounding her.
    If she transitions she'll look like Matt Gaetz.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

There's a steely professionalism about Keir Starmer. Many people may not warm to it but I've always admired this quality (steely professionalism) and for me he easily passes the DREADED 'like to have a beer with' test. He'd be a civil, calm, intelligent, reassuring companion for the hour or so it takes to sip a couple of pints, and I'd leave feeling absolutely fine. It's been a long time since I can say that about one of the main party leaders.

I imagine one could get through 20 minutes with chat about your golf and some anecdotes of your time as a chartered accountant, but after that, hmm

it is a daft test, however. I imagine Hitler would be fucking compelling for a couple of hours of schnapps. Putin likewise, on the voddie

And everyone I know in Cambodia who has met senior Khmer Rouge figures (seriously, I have known a few) says they were very urbane and charming, highly educated in Paris, full of ideas and politesse

Also killed 2m people
    Neville Chamberlain said that while he hated to admit it he found Hitler a very personable chap.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849
    ohnotnow said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I was just amusing myself looking at BBC Scotland's newspaper summary. Pretty much all of them running on variations of 'SNP Infighting', 'Stitch up accusations', etc etc. Except The National with a big headline of 'Onwards and Upwards!'.

Which even for them seems a little 'head in the sand'.
    It is not even a comic
  • Options

DavidL said:

Having said that, electing someone on the left would make sense if Labour are a serious threat in central Scotland. SLAB would be pretty happy if the SNP moved to the right.
    Slab? They are to the *right* of the SNP, very definitely. British unionism, Brexit, nukes (the latter when you listen to who is yanking their chain at Labour HQ).
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ohnotnow said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I was just amusing myself looking at BBC Scotland's newspaper summary. Pretty much all of them running on variations of 'SNP Infighting', 'Stitch up accusations', etc etc. Except The National with a big headline of 'Onwards and Upwards!'.

It is not even a comic
    D. C. Thomson don't produce it, that's for sure!
  • Options
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Has he ever taken a position on anything other than windbaggery
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Yes, I agree

She’s so young she’s a blank canvas. She also looks OK, she’s smart, well educated (but not posh), so she’s this perfect space on which to draw your ideal First Minister if you’re desperate to find the new Sturgeon

We have seen how badly this projection can go wrong with Liz Truss, when everyone wanted her to be Thatcher
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,117
    nico679 said:

ClippP said:

You can’t be a Lib Dem and take his view . So he’s trying to now say he wished he had been true to himself so basically telling gay people they’re sinners ! People don’t appreciate being judged and this is why I have a low opinion of most religions .

Perhaps more to the point, he actually voted against banning discrimination on the basis of sexual preference.

Maybe his religious beliefs about sexual sin could be put in a box and remain a private matter, but I can't see how that stance on a matter of legislation could be acceptable to any liberal, any more than wanting racial or sex discrimination to be decriminalised would be acceptable.
  • Options
    In any normal workplace where I was a serious contender for promotion but was off on maternity leave and the timetable was so unnecessarily tight that it either excluded me or forced me back to work early, I might consider that discrimination. Just saying.

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1627243750044094464?s=20

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Has he ever taken a position on anything other than windbaggery
    See Carnyx, upthread.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Biden, despite the teachings of his church, for example led on gay marriage - against the then opposition of his President.

I’m in no position to judge Forbes, as I know almost nothing about her, but the objection to her appears to be that her politics is rather more swayed by her beliefs.
    Given she has never given any opinion based on religion it is all bollocks by morons who are just making it up
  • Options
    He's definitely going to be in the running and 20/1 seems excessively generous to me. His time as Justice Minister has been abysmal but so was Yousaf's and it doesn't seem to be holding him back. "By the end of the year", of course, also allows a Truss type shambles with whoever has been selected.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Depressing David, given what is left is total dross which would be bad for Scotland big time.
  • Options

In any normal workplace where I was a serious contender for promotion but was off on maternity leave and the timetable was so unnecessarily tight that it either excluded me or forced me back to work early, I might consider that discrimination. Just saying.

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1627243750044094464?s=20

Please define ‘normal’ and ‘unnecessarily tight’ in this context.
    Just asking.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,008
    edited February 2023
    DavidL said:

He's definitely going to be in the running and 20/1 seems excessively generous to me. His time as Justice Minister has been abysmal but so was Yousaf's and it doesn't seem to be holding him back. "By the end of the year", of course, also allows a Truss type shambles with whoever has been selected.
    The tweets below say he is not running.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,322

Tres said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 43% (+1)
    LAB 30% (+1)
    CON 17% (-)
    LD 6% (-1)
    Others 3% (-1)

SNP 47 seats (-1)

Actually, it just means the design works.

A re-design from scratch could well work better. But if there is no plausible evolutionary pathway there, it’s not going to happen.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Given she has never given any opinion based on religion it is all bollocks by morons who are just making it up
    If that is the case, then fine.
    But you just said upthread that Blackford had never taken any position, so I’ll reserve judgment.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

ohnotnow said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It is not even a comic
    Its ownership is quite curious. It was born as a sister paper to the Herald and is now owned by Newsquest which in turn is owned by the American group Gannett. Newsquest publishes a huge range of publications for eccentric and niche markets of which nationalism is by no means the most peculiar.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    On the human eye, I would actually say it was very well evolved for an omnivorous primate.

We have excellent colour vision for selecting vegetation, forward facing eye for stereoscopic vision for hunting, peripheral vision very sensitive to motion, alerting us to predators and useful for hunting, central vision acute enough to identify things at long distance. When fully dark adapted we can detect a single photon of light, yet our eyes also can operate in midday sun in a desert.

Sure, they fade a bit with age, but worth bearing in mind that evolution works less well on things after child rearing is done, as no biological advantage or disadvantage after that point can affect fertility, as indeed is true of other diseases of age.

If wanting a bit of improved design, look at the vertebrae. Really not great for bipedal locomotion.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,877

The tweets below says he is not running.

And Nippy was "not resigning" a week ago...
  • Options
    Well, at least we know who The Speccie, Times, Tele, Salmond, the GC crowd and various SNP haterz favour for the next leader of the SNP.
    Useful..
  • Options
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, I agree

She’s so young she’s a blank canvas. She also looks OK, she’s smart, well educated (but not posh), so she’s this perfect space on which to draw your ideal First Minister if you’re desperate to find the new Sturgeon

We have seen how badly this projection can go wrong with Liz Truss, when everyone wanted her to be Thatcher
    Also, if your issue with Sturgeon was trans, the one thing everyone knows about Forbes is that her personal beliefs on the matter are sound.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Depressing David, given what is left is total dross which would be bad for Scotland big time.
    I know. I will never vote Nationalist but I am anxious to have someone even vaguely competent as our FM, and ideally someone who appreciates the importance of reviving the Scottish economy and making us an attractive place to do invest and do business. I fear deep disappointment.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On the human eye, I would actually say it was very well evolved for an omnivorous primate.

We have excellent colour vision for selecting vegetation, forward facing eye for stereoscopic vision for hunting, peripheral vision very sensitive to motion, alerting us to predators and useful for hunting, central vision acute enough to identify things at long distance. When fully dark adapted we can detect a single photon of light, yet our eyes also can operate in midday sun in a desert.

Sure, they fade a bit with age, but worth bearing in mind that evolution works less well on things after child rearing is done, as no biological advantage or disadvantage after that point can affect fertility, as indeed is true of other diseases of age.

If wanting a bit of improved design, look at the vertebrae. Really not great for bipedal locomotion.

Strictly speaking, one might differ on para 2 - there is an important role to play in helping one's children, at least in hominids and related primates - hence the evolution of the granny at an age when it pays off more to help your daughters than try and have more children at an age when they are likely to be orphaned. But that is more to do with the timing of menopause itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    PEN is a comparatively ‘woke’ organisation.

At @PENamerica we are alarmed at news of "hundreds of changes" to venerated works by @roald_dahl in a purported effort to scrub the books of that which might offend someone.
    https://twitter.com/SuzanneNossel/status/1627066101309018112

In the US, it tends to be the right that’s more interested in actually censoring books. See, for example, the antics of DeSantis in Florida.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The tweets below says he is not running.

And Nippy was "not resigning" a week ago...
    Lump on then.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Strictly speaking, one might differ on para 2 - there is an important role to play in helping one's children, at least in hominids and related primates - hence the evolution of the granny at an age when it pays off more to help your daughters than try and have more children at an age when they are likely to be orphaned. But that is more to do with the timing of menopause itself.
    Hence I said "when child rearing is done" which would be 15 years or so after fertility is done.
  • Options
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I have had the pleasure of “having a beer with him”, except it was a glass of English sparkling and it was with dozens of other people at the drinks reception after Labour’s business conference.

As far as I can tell he was as others describe. Normal professional dad type. Sort of person I’d ask to act as witness for my mortgage application.

He vaguely radiated the aura of power but I would say purely by dint of his position, not through any superhuman charisma.
    I had lunch in rural Essex in the summer of 2021 with a retired but once extremely senior judge. We had wonderful new asparagus with hollandaise, but I digress

Very nice chap. He said Keir Starmer was the smartest. most impressive lawyer he’d ever had in his court

I’m no Labourite so I offer this anecdote with perfect neutrality
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,800

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people
    Neville Chamberlain said that while he hated to admit it he found Hitler a very personable chap.
    The real reason for Hitler being near-vegetarian was apparently, flatulence.

When he ate meat (and he occasionally did, with favourite pork dishes) he’d let rip like a Messerschmitt ME 163.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

ohnotnow said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It is not even a comic
    Its ownership is quite curious. It was born as a sister paper to the Herald and is now owned by Newsquest which in turn is owned by the American group Gannett. Newsquest publishes a huge range of publications for eccentric and niche markets of which nationalism is by no means the most peculiar.
    The National did, of course,arise when the Herald was swerved from middle of the road to full on British nationalist, as indeed you imply. The fall in circulation was so great that they had to try and bodge up a solution in the way of an independista paper, hence the N.

But as I think we have discussed before, I'd much rather have the old Scotsman and Herald back ...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Wired backwards, with a resulting blind spot in the middle of the sensor?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Also, put the clitoris INSIDE the vagina, so orgasms during and because of coition are the norm. A foolish design flaw
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Elderly individuals unable to fully participate in food gathering might be an evolutionary advantage in the context of developing social groups, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

"I feel confident in my Labour largest party in a hung parliament position, if the YouGov Scotland poll turns out to be harbinger rather than an outlier then I may revise my views but Starmer needs to up his game." @TSE

Good morning all.

1. Starmer doesn't need to up his game

2. It's good that he is no Blair. Boris and Cameron have made that kind of politician toxic.

3. Starmer has expunged Corbyn's anti-semitic legacy

4. Labour don't need Scotland but they are recovering well there.

5. Believe the polls

6. I am not merely confident, I am certain, that Labour will win a thumping great majority. We have witnessed a sea change.

7. But you are right. This won't be 1997 Redux. It will be far, far, worse for the tories. In 1997 the economy was in great shape. Now it has tanked. Everyone I know is STILL talking about that Liz Truss budget and Labour will continue to remind us of it. The tories have done 1000x worse in the last 4 years than they did back then on every level, including corruption and sleaze. Which is really saying something.

They are in for an absolute pounding. 100-150 seats but my latest reckoning is that they may go sub 100.

Did you hear that dreadful Rishi Sunak speech in Munich? OMFG. He sounds like a precocious 14 year old reading his script (the teacher gave it a C+) in front of the class, very poorly. Really eye-wateringly poorly. This man is going to get savaged during the election campaign.

The 100-150 band ought to be possible with a half-decent leader. But the Tories don’t have a half-decent leader.
    I watched and it was fine and he answered questions well.

Compared to Starmer, whose speeches making watching paint dry exciting, Sunak is a perfectly good speaker
    They’re both reasonable but not electrifying speakers.

In recent* years Blair, Hague, Cameron, Miliband, May and Johnson were all good orators. Brown, Howard, Corbyn, Starmer and Sunak mediocre. Truss and IDS awful. Kinnock was world class.

Corbyn was overrated as a speaker. His fans loved him but I always felt his oratory was awkward and disjointed.

*as I get older “recent” takes on a more extended meaning.
    Hague, Cameron, Blair and Kinnock were by far the best speakers and orators of the last 40 years amongst the main party leaders. Though 2 of them won, 2 of them also lost so great oratory is not enough to win general elections.

Boris was more amusing than great speaker
    I agree with all of that. I would be interested in your view of who would have made a good PM (that is not the politics, but the day to day management and dealing with the issues that turn up).

My view is that Michael Howard would have been competent and I think Hague would have been rather good, even though I disagree with their politics. I think Kinnock and IDS would have been poor. This is all a bit unfair of me as it is all a gut feeling.

My feeling about Liberals is most of those from my younger days were exceptionally good eg Kirkwood, Pardue, Carlile, Penhaligan, but the current lot are pretty weak.
    Howard would have been a competent PM yes. Probably similar to his Australian namesake John Howard
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,087
    A German rally in the 1940s, with the banner "Never forget that England imposed this war on us."

https://preview.redd.it/c38ywv60w5ja1.jpg

It's amazing how the same lies echo from genocidal regimes throughout history. What the Nazis told about England in the 1940s, the Putinists are telling about NATO today.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Elderly individuals unable to fully participate in food gathering might be an evolutionary advantage in the context of developing social groups, though.
    Rather like PB, actually. Ook!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

When he ate meat (and he occasionally did, with favourite pork dishes) he’d let rip like a Messerschmitt ME 163.
    And Stalin was the life and soul of the party as a young, murderous gangster.

He kept up the partying all his life - late night drinking sessions.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,157
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Slab? They are to the *right* of the SNP, very definitely. British unionism, Brexit, nukes (the latter when you listen to who is yanking their chain at Labour HQ).
    The Soviet Union believed in having a nuclear deterrent. The idea that having one is inherently right wing is nonsense.
    And believe it or not there are actual left wing people who support the continuation of the UK.
  • Options

The NI Protocol which the government is trying to improve was proposed and negotiated by Boris Johnson. He lied about what it meant (checks on the GB/NI border) and is now reportedly arguing that it must be abolished altogether. Even by Johnson's standards this is pure hypocrisy.

https://twitter.com/paul_lever/status/1627275676377141249?s=20

I don't think that is what Boris is arguing. The Northern Ireland bill in the Lords would allow the UK Government to nullify parts of the protocol, which he argues would give the UK the upper hand in the negotiations on the agreement. I am not sure if he is right, but having negotiated with the EU from a position of weakness before, it's understandable that he does not expect the best results for the UK if we keep doing it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited February 2023
    Carnyx said:

Quite. Just look at HYUFD. He's never got himself all excited about Mr Blackford. I can't possibly think why.

Edit: esp. as Mr B has small family as well, I seem to remember it being pointedly remarked recently.
    I don’t remember Blackford addressing pro life anti abortion rallies like Forbes?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16280747.snp-rising-star-kate-forbes-made-pro-life-call-brian-souter-prayer-breakfast-event/

We Conservatives don’t have a problem with Forbes having anti abortion and anti homosexual marriage views, some of our own members still do.

However Scottish Labour certainly will and Forbes should expect a brutal SLab campaign to win back social liberals from the SNP if she becomes leader
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

The Soviet Union believed in having a nuclear deterrent. The idea that having one is inherently right wing is nonsense.
    And believe it or not there are actual left wing people who support the continuation of the UK.
    Both are right wing policies in the Scottish context. Look at the parties which support them and which don't.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
    WillG said:

A German rally in the 1940s, with the banner "Never forget that England imposed this war on us."

https://preview.redd.it/c38ywv60w5ja1.jpg

It's amazing how the same lies echo from genocidal regimes throughout history. What the Nazis told about England in the 1940s, the Putinists are telling about NATO today.

Dieser Link ist verboten
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Both are right wing policies in the Scottish context. Look at the parties which support them and which don't.
    If supporting the UK is seen as right wing, then it's because Labour have unfortunately not made a convincing enough left wing case for the union. What is left wing or right wing should not be dictated by the SNP.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,217
    DavidL said:

They both appear to be far more talented than the average SNP MSP. But then Scottish Labour found that appointing the most intelligence member of their cabinet didn't exactly end well when Wendy Alexander took the job on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

I don’t remember Blackford addressing pro life anti abortion rallies like Forbes?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16280747.snp-rising-star-kate-forbes-made-pro-life-call-brian-souter-prayer-breakfast-event/

We Conservatives don’t have a problem with Forbes having anti abortion and anti homosexual marriage views, some of our own members still do.

However Scottish Labour certainly will and Forbes should expect a brutal SLab campaign to win back social liberals from the SNP if she becomes leader
    Those people are likelier to join the indy supporting greens than Slab. And would probably be offset by right wing SNPites returning from Alba.
  • Options
    Tres said:

DavidL said:

They both appear to be far more talented than the average SNP MSP. But then Scottish Labour found that appointing the most intelligence member of their cabinet didn't exactly end well when Wendy Alexander took the job on.
    True, there is a lot more to politics than being bright, as Rishi is demonstrating all too clearly south of the border. Wendy Alexander was indeed bright but also demonstrated the point.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

If supporting the UK is seen as right wing, then it's because Labour have unfortunately not made a convincing enough left wing case for the union. What is left wing or right wing should not be dictated by the SNP.
    Not really up to any one party, including Labour. If the current incarnation of Labour are running scared of the word left, they have to take the consequences.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

Lol!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

Really? What's your source for that? Goebbels said Hitler was 'a convinced vegetarian on principle.'
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    nico679 said:

ClippP said:

Of course homosexuales are sinners. As are adulterers, liars and lots of others. But only if you are a follower of the hard-line religions - Roman Catholicism, Judaism, Mohamedanism and extreme Prostestantism. Non-religious people cannot really talk about "sin". The closest we can get to it is something that is unethical.

For religious people, Boris Johnson is quite clearly a sinner. For my part, I hold him to be corrupt, incompetent and thoroughly unworthy of holding any office at all, let alone high office. But I have never described him as a sinner.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

Really? What's your source for that? Goebbels said Hitler was 'a convinced vegetarian on principle.'
    And Goebbels never lied.

Just kidding.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Wired backwards, with a resulting blind spot in the middle of the sensor?
    The physiological blind spot is 15° temporal in each eye, so not central in the sensor. Additionally each is covered by the other eyes field of vision, so with both eyes functioning normally not a problem at all.

The high turnover of the photo-receptors at the level of ambient light for mammals is such that the metabolic need for nutrition via choroid and pigment epithelium makes the "backward wiring" eminently sensible.

It may well be that the eyes of higher molluscs are better adapted to their environment, but I am far from convinced that it would be beneficial in ours.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

And Goebbels never lied.

Just kidding.
    He didn't usually lie in his diaries, which are what I was quoting from.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

nico679 said:

ClippP said:

Of course homosexuales are sinners. As are adulterers, liars and lots of others. But only if you are a follower of the hard-line religions - Roman Catholicism, Judaism, Mohamedanism and extreme Prostestantism. Non-religious people cannot really talk about "sin". The closest we can get to it is something that is unethical.

For religious people, Boris Johnson is quite clearly a sinner. For my part, I hold him to be corrupt, incompetent and thoroughly unworthy of holding any office at all, let alone high office. But I have never described him as a sinner.
    In most Christian theology we are all born in sin, and therefore sinners in need of salvation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

And Goebbels never lied.

Just kidding.
    Goebbels was frequently quoted as saying that he was thinking of history in terms of presenting the Nazi record. Bullshitting on the historical record (his diary) would have fit that perfectly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 43% (+1)
    LAB 30% (+1)
    CON 17% (-)
    LD 6% (-1)
    Others 3% (-1)

SNP 47 seats (-1)

Tim Farron was a bit hard done by but he made a rod for his own back by dissembling and then lying about it.
    I think this is a little harsh on Farron, the core of whose problem was the public anguish over trying to avoid telling a lie about his religious beliefs (he had a couple of years to formulate a decent answer, and that he didn't is pretty poor but there we are).

It's easy to lie about political beliefs and happens all the time from politicians of all parties. You might privately believe that Britain would be better off in the Euro, or that the monarchy is a bit daft, or that the Rwanda policy is a gimmick. But you don't say that asked the direct question.

The problem with religious beliefs is that, confronted with certain questions, you're not just a pragmatist realising that telling the truth about your views would harm your ability to get anyone done... you're suddenly Peter denying Christ three times. That does make it incredibly difficult for certain religious politicians to get on - and perhaps it should too.
    I think this attempt falls at the first hurdle, to be honest. Yes, people do little lies all the time, but if he was facing such anguish over telling the lie he could have just, you know, not lied.

He found the political circumstance of being leader incompatible with telling the truth about his own beliefs. He undoubtedly found that a hard situation to be in, and as a moral person he is remorseful about the choice he made. But he still made it.
  • Options

Well, she said that but she did still execute a lot of people.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people

And Goebbels never lied.

Just kidding.
    Goebbels was frequently quoted as saying that he was thinking of history in terms of presenting the Nazi record. Bullshitting on the historical record (his diary) would have fit that perfectly.
    But so far as his statements in there can be checked, he didn't.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,616
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Also killed 2m people
    @kinabalu really has you rattled, doesn't he? I don't know why.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ClippP said:

nico679 said:

ClippP said:

In most Christian theology we are all born in sin, and therefore sinners in need of salvation.
    How convenient - even if someone is a very good person, they still need the intercession of some church or preacher to 'save' them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

But surely someone could be right wing and an independence supporter? There certainly are in other countries.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

It was a Labour government that set in motion the British Bomb at a time when Britain truly was broke. Churchill was astonished at the progress when he resumed office.

We’ve got to have this thing over here, whatever it costs. We’ve got to have the bloody Union Jack on top of it.

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2022/01/07/whats-the-context-the-decision-to-build-a-british-atomic-bomb-8-january-1947/
  • Options
    Honestly, this is not that much of a drop - thank goodness it was enough in some tight races.

How much were election-denying Republican candidates punished in the 2022 midterms? @janetmalzahn and I put together the data and find they suffered roughly a 2.3 percentage-point penalty in the general election, on average.

https://twitter.com/ahall_research/status/1626284078197772288
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Honestly, this is not that much of a drop - thank goodness it was enough in some tight races.

How much were election-denying Republican candidates punished in the 2022 midterms? @janetmalzahn and I put together the data and find they suffered roughly a 2.3 percentage-point penalty in the general election, on average.

It's actually deeply depressing that so many Republicans just seem indifferent to positions that completely undermine and destroy democracy itself. This is almost margin of error stuff.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,774
    Can Johnson just fxck off and let the adults try and sort this out .

It’s obvious that keeping the NI Protocol Bill if you’ve agreed a new NI Protocol looks a very bad faith move and would suggest you’re not intending to honour that new protocol .

So of course the cancer on British politics Johnson wants to stir and comes up with this ludicrous suggestion.

We can only hope that the Privileges Committee find him guilty of knowingly misleading the House and this metastasizing cancer can be removed from British politics once and for all .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910
    kle4 said:

I think 2.3% is quite a big deal in US politics, the voters there tend to be stickier than for instance in the UK
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,087

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

It was a Labour government that set in motion the British Bomb at a time when Britain truly was broke. Churchill was astonished at the progress when he resumed office.

We’ve got to have this thing over here, whatever it costs. We’ve got to have the bloody Union Jack on top of it.

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2022/01/07/whats-the-context-the-decision-to-build-a-british-atomic-bomb-8-january-1947/
    Most political parties and factions, right left or centre, since the dawn of the modern age are patriotic and supportive of a strong defence. The active scepticism/opposition to the concept of national identity or patriotism is a weird outlier. And largely limited to the left in high income English speaking nations since about 1970.
  • Options
    50%+1 of combined votes from pro-independence parties in any WM or HR election is a clear instruction from the electorate that we commence withdrawal negotiations from the U.K. Independence - nothing less

https://twitter.com/AshtenRegan/status/1627238466470699008?s=20
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Some in the Labour party bemoan that they are seen as anti-patriotic but they don't help themselves. Nato is one of our major legacies yet you wouldn't think a Labour government had been at the heart of its creation. Neither did they ever nail Thatcher for the cuts that led to the Falklands war.
This discussion has been closed.