Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Scottish LAB voters hold the key to their country’s fut

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why Scottish LAB voters hold the key to their country’s future

On Sunday we reported on the ICM poll in Scotland on September’s IndyRef which had the gap narrowing sharply. On one measure those who wanted independence were just 6% behind.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Go on Scotland, you know you want to vote yes.
  • Options
    The key thing is that the campaign proper hasn't started yes.

So plenty of time and opportunity for minds and votes to be changed.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG and the Pork have probably just fainted..
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The news the Russian ruble has hit a record low against its euro basket shows again what a wonderful investment property prime in London is for yer average oligarch....

The number of dachas you'll be able to buy is increasing by the hour....

• Options
    And of course there are a lot of SLAB voters.

What bribe would persuade them to vote one way or the other?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    edited January 2014
    @Stodge

""Englishness" isn't something you can bottle, define or encase in amber. It is evolving and re-inventing itself all the time. Yes, it changes and some people don't like that but it always has changed and always will." - Stodge

That is such a misleading argument.

Yes "Englishness" has changed and evolved over time, and every English person is a product of that change, but the speed of the change is the problem.

Saying the gradual change of centuries gone is somehow the same as the changes brought about by mass immigration is like calling spending two hours watching a film in the cinema and five minutes watching a dvd on fast forward the same thing
  • Options
    What bribe would persuade them to vote one way or the other?

Salmond won;t need a bribe if it starts to look like the tories might get in again.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Yes. I'm betting on YES if only because I expect the price to move in.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @isam FPT

The driver had an issue with his licence which meant he was not allowed to continue.

I assume it was something technical like the class of vehicle he was driving, but in any event he driving without a valid licence.
  • Options

It's a specious argument. If the English were redefining themselves constantly, UKIP wouln't exist. And neither would the tories.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

Comparing the gradual change of centuries gone by with the changes brought about by mass immigration is like comparing spending two hours watching a film in the cinema with five minutes watching a dvd on fast forward

There were massive rapid changes at the time of the Enclosure Acts, the Industrial Revolution, Reformation, etc.

Of course, these huge changes often provoked violent resistance to varying degrees.

In one sense you could say that you are both right. This is simply yet another change, like many changes before, but as always any sort of change will be contested by those who oppose it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

OK !

Let us know when to lay off :D
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Carney says a pound share deal between Sco and rUk would need some ceding of sovereignty.

So the rUk must have a referendum on whether we want to have such a deal in the event of Sco leaving the Uk.

I'd say that referendum would be hard to win for the "Yes to sharing" camp...

• Options

I've been backing Yes for a couple of years.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Err, no I don't. If anything, this debate has made the views of both sides even more entrenched. And its these voters on both sides who are more likely to turn out and vote, a point worth noting.

• Options
    Charles said:

@isam FPT

The driver had an issue with his licence which meant he was not allowed to continue.

I assume it was something technical like the class of vehicle he was driving, but in any event he driving without a valid licence.

Any idea why the passenger wasn't allowed to drive the van? Or why another driver couldn't be called to drive it?

And is it illegal to take a photo outside chequers? I know you are trying to dramatize it all by making it sound like a terrorist was driving an unmarked articulated full of semtex, but this was a bright purple van with UKIP written all over it!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903

isam said:

Comparing the gradual change of centuries gone by with the changes brought about by mass immigration is like comparing spending two hours watching a film in the cinema with five minutes watching a dvd on fast forward

There were massive rapid changes at the time of the Enclosure Acts, the Industrial Revolution, Reformation, etc.

Of course, these huge changes often provoked violent resistance to varying degrees.

In one sense you could say that you are both right. This is simply yet another change, like many changes before, but as always any sort of change will be contested by those who oppose it.
    It could equally be argued the two World Wars also brought on enormous social and cultural change - as my first boss told me "the only constant is change".

Naturally, the pace of change worries people - people like continuity, stability and certainty (except in their gadgets it would seem). These worries need to be addressed and there's no question the main political parties have been remiss in that.

The concerns are also meat and drink for those parties who see their own political growth tied up with exacerbating and feeding on these worries. Negatives are accentuated and exaggerated and anyone trying to put a different case forward slapped down.

• Options
    If you change your mind you must be No or Yes already. And we see that mind-changers there are 22% and 23% respectively. So basically both sides have potentially soft outer edges.

In terms of raw numbers what is 16% of 2011 SNP voters and what is 30% of 2011 labour voters. It wasn't that close between them, was it?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    taffys said:

It's a specious argument. If the English were redefining themselves constantly, UKIP wouln't exist. And neither would the tories.

Well, some do and some don't - UKIP is on 10-15% or so, not 100%, even if you include all Tories in the same group, which you shouldn't. My opponent and I have quite similar views on this, I think.

One of the things that bedevils the discussion is that both types often think themselves superior - we metropolitans too easily think people who dislike change are blinkered and scared of variety, people who dislike lots of migration (both in and out) too easily think metropolitans are surrendering something precious so they can get cheap plumbers.

In reality, most people are some sort of mixture - my constituent who would make foreign languages illegal is a rarity, as are people who would cheerfully have 500 million foreign settlers tomorrow. Even Farage is up for having 500 wounded Syrians. It's a question of where and how to draw the line. Some would do it by need - yes to a Kurdish brain surgeon, no to an Australian farmer. Some would do it by perceived similarity (precisely the opposite choices). Some would do it by number - yes to 10,000 Kurdish farmers in a year, but not 10,001. No doubt there are other variants too. In fact, we're jolly diverse even in this...

I've got a 20-hour journey tomorrow so I'll call it a (Japanese) night.

• Options

isam said:

If you look at human nature, and what most people find stressful, it is the feeling of being rushed, events happening too quickly, uncertainty, lack of control,lack of a place that feels like home, the loss of something you held dear. Humans are happiest and most content when things are moving in sync with nature, a ninety year old dying of old age is less stressful than a 50 year old dying suddenly, and mass immigration and globalisation run contrary to that.

Its undeniable that the world is always evolving, but in the 21st Century we have the ability to speed up this evolution to an uncomfortable pace if we want to, and big business and Governments are doing that.
  • Options
    To do my own maths:

16% of 902,915 constituency votes (SNP) = approx. 140,000

30% of 630,461 constituency votes (Labour) = approx. 210,000
  • Options
    Winter Olympic betting
    Canada look a great price at 14/1 for most golds with paddypower and 25/1 with William hill for most medals (prefer the gold bet but both in with a better chance than odds imply imho)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    taffys said:

TBF, I think the Tories are a very good example of the ability of the English to redefine themselves!

Every 50 years or so they have an existential crisis, which ends up being resolved by the progressive and the reactionary wing splitting and then ultimately reforming - usually as a more progressive organisation. I'd highlight:

- Ultras 1820s [social]
    - Peelites 1830/40s [economics]
    - Ditchers 1910s [constitution]
    - Butskellism 1950s [social]
    - Wets 1980s [economics]
  • Options

I've been backing Yes for a couple of years.

You just want perpetual Tory rule in England :)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I hope some terrorists are not aware that driving a large van with UKIP painted on the side will get you close to Chequers..
  • Options
    edited January 2014

I hope some terrorists are not aware that driving a large van with UKIP painted on the side will get you close to Chequers..

haha yes I imagine the front door is right next to the garden gate!
  • Options
    "Mr Carney said that without a system of risk-sharing and pooling of fiscal resources, Scotland could suffer the same fate as countries such as Portugal and Greece, which have endured painful internal devaluation in the absence of being able to weaken their currency.

"Being in a currency union can amplify fiscal stress, and increase both the risks and consequences of financial instability," said Mr Carney.

"In short, a durable, successful currency union requires some ceding of national sovereignty.""

Who in rUk is going to vote for sharing the £ with Scotland if they vote to leave ?

• Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

Any idea why the passenger wasn't allowed to drive the van? Or why another driver couldn't be called to drive it?

And is it illegal to take a photo outside chequers? I know you are trying to dramatize it all by making it sound like a terrorist was driving an unmarked articulated full of semtex, but this was a bright purple van with UKIP written all over it!
    These are all assumption:

1. Was the passenger insured on a rented vehicle?
    2. Did the police have better things to do than wait 30+ minutes for another driver to turn up?
    3. Police guarding the PM have to make risk assessments. If I was planning to drive a bomb into Chequers I might well try and disguise it as legitimate political protest as well.
  • Options
    isam said:

@Stodge

""Englishness" isn't something you can bottle, define or encase in amber. It is evolving and re-inventing itself all the time. Yes, it changes and some people don't like that but it always has changed and always will." - Stodge

Yes "Englishness" has changed and evolved over time, and every English person is a product of that change, but the speed of the change is the problem.

Saying the gradual change of centuries gone is somehow the same as the changes brought about by mass immigration is like calling spending two hours watching a film in the cinema and five minutes watching a dvd on fast forward the same thing

Good moaning! I was bruising the throds and brung you a massage: anybody who spooks Unglish with a recognoosably Unglish iccent should be consodered Unglish, in moo opinion.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

I thought that the equation was more that publicising UKIP enough (using vans or other means) will get Ed Miliband close to Chequers.

• Options
    Even if we did not have a single immigrant - or very few, like Japan, Iceland, China - the rate of change over the last 50 years would have been like nothing that has previously occurred in human history. It's technology that has done it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

2. Did the police have better things to do than wait 30+ minutes for another driver to turn up?
    3. Police guarding the PM have to make risk assessments. If I was planning to drive a bomb into Chequers I might well try and disguise it as legitimate political protest as well.
    You would be better off detonating it before driving away!

You're going to defend the police, no matter what as its UKIP vs Tory, and I guess I am the same in reverse, so lets just leave it a that, a partisan spat?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Winter Olympic betting
    Canada look a great price at 14/1 for most golds with paddypower and 25/1 with William hill for most medals (prefer the gold bet but both in with a better chance than odds imply imho)

I'm on. MAX BET no less.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Carney says a pound share deal between Sco and rUk would need some ceding of sovereignty.

So the rUk must have a referendum on whether we want to have such a deal in the event of Sco leaving the Uk.

'Poll: 71% in rUK say iScotland should keep using pound'

http://tinyurl.com/q2kflpv

Cue squirrely chitter of 'PANELBASE!'
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

"Mr Carney said that without a system of risk-sharing and pooling of fiscal resources, Scotland could suffer the same fate as countries such as Portugal and Greece, which have endured painful internal devaluation in the absence of being able to weaken their currency.

"Being in a currency union can amplify fiscal stress, and increase both the risks and consequences of financial instability," said Mr Carney.

"In short, a durable, successful currency union requires some ceding of national sovereignty.""

Who in rUk is going to vote for sharing the £ with Scotland if they vote to leave ?

Presumably before any vote a deal would have to be done between Scotland and the rUK. And they ceding of sovereignty would be pretty one way. In fact, there'd be no need for a vote here as nothing would change for us - we'd be by far the larger partner.

• Options

A bit like a group of people who are leaving a sports club voting to keep using the tennis courts.
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

@isam FPT

You would be better off detonating it before driving away!

You're going to defend the police, no matter what as its UKIP vs Tory, and I guess I am the same in reverse, so lets just leave it a that, a partisan spat?
    It's not partisan at all. I vote Tory and broadly agree with the traditional One Nation Tory approach but I don't have some kind of desire to do other parties down. No skin in the game.

On this occasion - but not always - I can completely understand the police's actions. Of course the UKIP guy wants some publicity, so has run whining to the papers. But it really isn't some kind of politically motivated anti-UKIP agenda by the police. Or me.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I probably would. That aside, though, why would you necessarily expect for people not to vote for it? There's likely to be a fair amount of cross-border trade, and plenty of people travelling from one country to the other on a daily basis, so the naive assumption would be that it's not a bad idea - just as the majority of the population's engagement with arguments for and against the euro goes about as far as "it's much easier going on holiday these days".
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ah yes as the arguments for and against have been discussed at large amongst the good people of the rUk ...

Naive to think that the press would not pick up on these potential downside risks for the rUK.
  • Options
    taffys said:

A bit like a group of people who are leaving a sports club voting to keep using the tennis courts.

Er, rUK refers to the sports club (England, Wales & NI), not those leaving.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    FT Westminster ‏@ftwestminster 4 mins
    Cameron leaves open tax cuts for wealthy http://on.ft.com/1cuqbGs

This is not the sort of message Cameron/tories need - like I was saying from previous thread.
  • Options

This is not the sort of message Cameron/tories need - like I was saying from previous thread.

Although in the FT...
  • Options
    Polruan said:

TGOHF said:

I probably would. That aside, though, why would you necessarily expect for people not to vote for it? There's likely to be a fair amount of cross-border trade, and plenty of people travelling from one country to the other on a daily basis, so the naive assumption would be that it's not a bad idea - just as the majority of the population's engagement with arguments for and against the euro goes about as far as "it's much easier going on holiday these days".
    It's the Euro - but with 2 countries.

You ain't seen frothing yet if you think PM Miliband signing up to a single currency without a vote would go down well.
  • Options
    Express journalist / leading UKIPPer - much like the fuzzywuzzies, doesn't like it up 'em.

Ian Birrell‏@ianbirrell3 mins
    Truth clearly hurts MT @oflynnexpress Cameroon Tory repeats his master's nasty ad hominem attacks on UKIP http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/28/nigel-farage-ukip-jokes-on-us?CMP=twt_gu … …
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Driving a purple van with UKIP painted on the side is an offence against taste, regardless of any terrorism laws and the unlicensed status of its driver.

The vehicle should have been seized, crushed and the scrap metal sold in an open market for best value.

• Options

Express journalist / leading UKIPPer - much like the fuzzywuzzies, doesn't like it up 'em.

Truth clearly hurts MT @oflynnexpress Cameroon Tory repeats his master's nasty ad hominem attacks on UKIP http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/28/nigel-farage-ukip-jokes-on-us?CMP=twt_gu … …

It looks like birrell doesn't like any criticism.

Ian Birrell ‏@ianbirrell 17 mins
    @oflynnexpress Shame you feel you have to abuse me, Patrick

Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynnexpress 5 mins
    @ianbirrell Don't dish it out so virulently if you can't take the mildest riposte. Agree yr aid views don't prove a "hate-filled heart" tho

• Options
    edited January 2014
    FPT
    Anorak said:

AveryLP said:

If it were the truth game, then the answer should be; "the top rate will be set at a level which yields the highest amount of tax paid by this income group".

Where does the concept of fairness fit in with that statement? The government should not be maximising tax from any group - in my opinion. I'm fully on-board with a progressive taxation regime, but that should include consideration of what is, and what is not, fair.

Anorak

In so far as the payment of tax for this income group is 'discretionary', the amount of tax paid will correlate with implied consent.

An optimal tax yield is the fairest outcome for those not in the top 1%.

The yield is only optimal because it is perceived to be at its fairest level by the top earners.

Have I missed something?

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Charles said:

Although in the FT...
    Only rich people read the FT :-)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Ah yes as the arguments for and against have been discussed at large amongst the good people of the rUk ...

Naive to think that the press would not pick up on these potential downside risks for the rUK.
    These issues have been raised ad nauseam in the media - usually as the scare du semaine. Things would admittedly have progressed rather more usefully if the UK Government had followed the Electoral Commission's request to discuss things in a grown-up manner so we know the options in more detail.

What is so interesting about this speech is that it's so boring. In contrast to all the scare stories Mr Carney's message is basically that we need to think carefully about the details and that the Scots would not have total control of their currency if they stayed with sterling pro tem. But that is obvious.

In fact, given the positive effect on the balance of payments from Scottish exports, it would seem a positive advantage to keep the Scots on side. And the refusal to cede Scotland its share of sterling (which is a UK asset, not an EWNI one) would in itself be extremely damaging to negotiations more widely. To argue seriously that the Scots had no share of it would be equivalent to using the 'new state' argument and therefore pushing for the 'no assets, no debts' solution - which is not what the Scottish Gmt are offering, which is the fair shares option.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited January 2014
    Sometimes the police dont help themselves but the prosecutors have joined in on this one too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25945052

Prosecuting people for taking food from bins that would otherwise have gone to waste. Do they not have real crimes to investigate and prosecute? Ones with victims ideally.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

and that the Scots would not have total control of their currency if they stayed with sterling pro tem. But that is obvious.

The elephant in your room is that the rUk would no longer have total control of their currency either.

That has yet to be absorbed and debated by rUk in any form - and I suggest the permission of the people of rUk would have to be sought to permit that to happen.

Or do you think that the rUK - which is so against the EU single currency would have a very different opinion of joining a McSingle currency ?

• Options
    Nigel Farage: Do ‘Question Time’ audiences need to be quite so hostile?

I want to question whether they are being exploited by the hard left

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-do-question-time-audiences-need-to-be-quite-so-hostile-9054389.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

@ianbirrell Don't dish it out so virulently if you can't take the mildest riposte. Agree yr aid views don't prove a "hate-filled heart" tho

Birrell's article was very similar to Zoe Williams "Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid" attack on Boris Johnson, in the run up to the Mayoral election in 2008. It may convince some GMW voters, but is basically just piss and wind.

• Options
    Polruan said:

TGOHF said:

As advised on the previous thread, I slept during the broadcast of the speech and read its transcript afterwards.

Had you done the same, Mr Polruan, you would be have been aware of the following passage:

Given that more than 700,000 Scots live in the rest of the United Kingdom and over 500,000 from the rest of the UK live in Scotland, one would be tempted to assume that labour mobility between the two is high.15 In fact gross migration flows between Scotland and the rest of the UK are lower than in the constituent parts of some other currency areas (table 2).

And here is Table 2:
    Table 2: Labour mobility estimates, 2010                         

Regions Annual gross migration
    flows/population, %

US: between 50 states 2.4
    Australia: between 8 states/territories 1.5
    Canada: between 10 provinces/territories 1.0
    Scotland/rUK 0.6
    EU27: between 27 countries 0.3

Sources: OECD; Bank calculations using General Register Office
    Scotland Migration Statistics and ONS mid-year population
    estimates. All data are for 2010.

Notes: Population mobility estimates are shown for the UK,
    Australia, Canada and the Unites States and labour force
    mobility for the EU.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

the refusal to cede Scotland its share of sterling (which is a UK asset, not an EWNI one) would in itself be extremely damaging to negotiations more widely

Isnt sterling a medium of exchange rather than an asset? How can you define a share of a medium of exchange? If the rUK changed its currency to "the rUK pound" with new notes and coins and let Scotland continue to use "sterling" with its notes and coins would that keep you happy?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I suggest the permission of the people of rUk would have to be sought to permit that to happen.

As noone else seems to be suggesting it I think it's unlikely to happen. The concept of shared sovereignty in a currency union wasnt invented by Carney today.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

and that the Scots would not have total control of their currency if they stayed with sterling pro tem. But that is obvious.

The elephant in your room is that the rUk would no longer have total control of their currency either.

That has yet to be absorbed and debated by rUk in any form - and I suggest the permission of the people of rUk would have to be sought to permit that to happen.

Or do you think that the rUK - which is so against the EU single currency would have a very different opinion of joining a McSingle currency ?

EWNI would have majority control of the currency - inevitably so given population size (being 'in bed with an elephant' is the classic description of the Scottish situation, but the pachyderm is being used in rather a different sense). So what is the problem there? In what circumstances could there be an issue, unless there was already a very close split in the controlling committee anyway? (seriously - I'd be interested to know, please.)

Also - on a semantic point, but important for presentation nonetheless - it would be a matter of 'retaining' rather than 'joining'. Very different politically.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

These issues have been raised ad nauseam in the media - usually as the scare du semaine. Things would admittedly have progressed rather more usefully if the UK Government had followed the Electoral Commission's request to discuss things in a grown-up manner so we know the options in more detail.

What is so interesting about this speech is that it's so boring. In contrast to all the scare stories Mr Carney's message is basically that we need to think carefully about the details and that the Scots would not have total control of their currency if they stayed with sterling pro tem. But that is obvious.

In fact, given the positive effect on the balance of payments from Scottish exports, it would seem a positive advantage to keep the Scots on side. And the refusal to cede Scotland its share of sterling (which is a UK asset, not an EWNI one) would in itself be extremely damaging to negotiations more widely. To argue seriously that the Scots had no share of it would be equivalent to using the 'new state' argument and therefore pushing for the 'no assets, no debts' solution - which is not what the Scottish Gmt are offering, which is the fair shares option.

Bizarre. If Scotland chooses to leave the UK it needs to sort out its own currency arrangements. End of.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Carnyx said:

the refusal to cede Scotland its share of sterling (which is a UK asset, not an EWNI one) would in itself be extremely damaging to negotiations more widely

Isnt sterling a medium of exchange rather than an asset? How can you define a share of a medium of exchange? If the rUK changed its currency to "the rUK pound" with new notes and coins and let Scotland continue to use "sterling" with its notes and coins would that keep you happy?
    Indeed the Uk pound would cease to exist in it's current form.

The good people of the rUK (including cybernats from Bath) would have the choice between their own currency - the rUk pound or joining a Euro style single currency union with Scotland.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Birrell's article was very similar to Zoe Williams "Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid" attack on Boris Johnson, in the run up to the Mayoral election in 2008. It may convince some GMW voters, but is basically just piss and wind.

Birrell was on radio 5 a few weeks back doing the same on ukip and immigration,p!ss and wind came to mind when I was listening to him then ;-)

• Options
    Neil said:

Sometimes the police dont help themselves but the prosecutors have joined in on this one too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25945052

Prosecuting people for taking food from bins that would otherwise have gone to waste. Do they not have real crimes to investigate and prosecute? Ones with victims ideally.

Neil

The Police and CPS are acting entirely within the law and should be applauded.

I look forward to the Met extending their campaign to arresting users of Labour's beloved food banks.

Now that would be justice for all.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

And the refusal to cede Scotland its share of sterling (which is a UK asset, not an EWNI one) would in itself be extremely damaging to negotiations
    Sterling is not an "asset" like Bute House or Salmond's tartan trews - it's a monetary instrument of the UK government controlled by the Bank of England - so it's not like divvying up the CD collection in a divorce - no matter how many times Salmond says "it's an asset" does not make it one.

And just see how long it takes you to raise capital on the international bond market if Scotland seeks to renege in its share of UK debts.

• Options
    I greatly fear the impact of an increasing chance of a Conservative victory in the General Election, and one achieved by some form of understanding or greater sympathy with UKIP, upon Scottish Labour-inclined opinion. The greatest threat to the Union is now the likely manoeuvring of English nationalist anti-European Conservative MPs between the European elections and September the 18th. Indeed this anti-Union fifth column may extend very far up the Conservative tree, if the speculation that Lynton Crosby privately considers a "Yes" vote probable is to be believed. These are bad times for those who believe in Britain and in the EU.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Given that more than 700,000 Scots live in the rest of the United Kingdom and over 500,000 from the rest of the UK live in Scotland, one would be tempted to assume that labour mobility between the two is high.15 In fact gross migration flows between Scotland and the rest of the UK are lower than in the constituent parts of some other currency areas

Of course the annual flow is now small, because the more enterprising amongst the Scots have already had hundreds of years to follow Samuel Johnson's advice and take the High Road to England.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

EWNI would have majority control of the currency - inevitably so given population size (being 'in bed with an elephant' is the classic description of the Scottish situation, but the pachyderm is being used in rather a different sense). So what is the problem there? In what circumstances could there be an issue, unless there was already a very close split in the controlling committee anyway? (seriously - I'd be interested to know, please.)

Also - on a semantic point, but important for presentation nonetheless - it would be a matter of 'retaining' rather than 'joining'. Very different politically.

At present we have an absolute majority - you are asking for us to give that up for a "majority" - plus take on a whole bunch of downside risks if Scotland's economy goes pear shaped.

What's in it for us ? Can the rUk voters be persuaded it's a wonderful idea ? I suggest it would be tricky. And as it's not a given - what's the SNP's plan B ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited January 2014
    felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Bizarre. If Scotland chooses to leave the UK it needs to sort out its own currency arrangements. End of.
    Golly, you're usual Scottish pronouncements are repeatedly stating your total indifference to the matter. Now you're making peremptory statements about what Scotland 'needs' to do, and you don't even have a vote. Bizarre.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    ''I want to question whether they are being exploited by the hard left''

Surely its the weighting with QT that's at issue - rather than the individuals. Nothing wrong with a few trots, but when its half a hall full the whole thing looks a bit suspicious.

Mainstream opinions can be made to look outlandish, and vice versa, by the heavy cheering or awkward silences that follow the commentators' comments.

Paul Nuttal was made to feel like he was Nick Griffin. He was very clearly angry and upset. Classic BBC ambush.
  • Options
    felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Arranging to join a currency union with another independent state is the very definition of sorting its own currency arrangements out.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    FPT - Stodge:
    I recognise that view, and that it doesn't bother you, and that you are comfortable with it. However, I would be wary of dismissing the opposing view. It's very easy to jump from saying it's hard to defining Englishness to say that it doesn't exist at all. There are those who may indeed say that, and they usually tend to be English themselves. I think I remember rcs1000 even going so far as to say he doesn't even think he's English, he thinks he's a Londoner.

The problem is that people jump to black & white on this. And virtually nothing in life is black & white. Englishness very definitely does exist. And if you do have concerns about the change (immigration brings) that doesn't mean you don't understand it either. There are most certainly common characteristics in the English, many of which do go back a long way - that I find much more noticeable when I reflect when overseas, and my (foreign born) wife has helped point out to me that I wouldn't know otherwise - and I also notice common characteristics in the English across all political divides. We don't generally notice it as it's so much a part of us we just discount it.

For the counterfactual, substitute 'French' or 'Scottish' into your statement on Englishness - it reads even more strangely. But sometimes, there are those who actually do that semi-deliberately because they actually don't *like* some of the characteristics and culture of English, and want to actively disassociate themselves from it.

If one does that, don't be surprised if the voters don't like you or vote for you very much
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

FPT

Anorak said:

AveryLP said:

If it were the truth game, then the answer should be; "the top rate will be set at a level which yields the highest amount of tax paid by this income group".

Where does the concept of fairness fit in with that statement? The government should not be maximising tax from any group - in my opinion. I'm fully on-board with a progressive taxation regime, but that should include consideration of what is, and what is not, fair.

Anorak

1. In so far as the payment of tax for this income group is 'discretionary', the amount of tax paid will correlate with implied consent.

2. An optimal tax yield is the fairest outcome for those not in the top 1%.

3. The yield is only optimal because it is perceived to be at its fairest level by the top earners.

4. Have I missed something?

Hmm. I've numbered your comments.

1. For some in this category, it will be discretionary. For many, many others it will not be (the manager of a large supermarket would be an additional-rate payer in a good year). Furthermore, discretionary payment will be time-limited, by pushing income from one year to another, temporarily boosting pension payments (now restricted!), etc. I'd say that was a thin argument.

2. Simply untrue, or a perverse definition of 'fair'. One could assert that the confiscation of all assets belonging to the top 10% would be the fairest outcome for the remaining 90%. Again, it holds as much water as a rusty sieve.

3. Not buying that either. Its perceived to be the "least intolerable", or the "best expected", or perhaps, "reasonable". It may even be perceived as fair, but "fairest level"? I'm starting to assume you're teasing me, Mr Pole.

4. It would appear so.

• Options

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Golly, you're usual Scottish pronouncements are repeatedly stating your total indifference to the matter. Now you're making peremptory statements about what Scotland 'needs' to do, and you don't even have a vote. Bizarre.

rUk doesn't "need" to share it's currency with another country - what's your plan B if we say no ?

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Golly, you're usual Scottish pronouncements are repeatedly stating your total indifference to the matter. Now your making peremptory statements about what Scotland 'needs' to do, and you don't even have a vote. Bizarre.

As we all know by now nobody is more certain of persuading scottish public opinion or indeed scottish labour voters than the PB tories. They're famous for their 'unique' insight. Hence the sheer deluge of scottish labour voters to be found on PB clearly desperate and eager to hear so many obsequious Cameroons gushing praise onto Cammie while foaming at the mouth about whatever CCHQ has told them to get upset about.

If the PB tories can't persuade floating scottish voters then who can?

:)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

rUk doesn't "need" to share it's currency with another country - what's your plan B if we say no ?

Use the pound outside a currency union, set up our own currency from day one, use the Euro. Plans B, C & D available depending on circs.

• Options
    FWIW, I believe any Scottish decision to use sterling post independence will be accompanied by an application to join the eurozone within the usual transitional period. This would, inter alia, probably ensure there was no interest rate premium for Scottish gilts, over rUK gilts.
  • Options
    I think its fair to say the Scottish and RUK economies would go their separate ways after independence, so them using the same currency doesn;t seem to make sense to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

Given that more than 700,000 Scots live in the rest of the United Kingdom and over 500,000 from the rest of the UK live in Scotland, one would be tempted to assume that labour mobility between the two is high.15 In fact gross migration flows between Scotland and the rest of the UK are lower than in the constituent parts of some other currency areas

Of course the annual flow is now small, because the more enterprising amongst the Scots have already had hundreds of years to follow Samuel Johnson's advice and take the High Road to England.
    Richard

The Dr. Johnson inspired flight accounts for the London Scotch.

Nationalism being more of a romantic than classical concept led to the Persuasion of a larger number of subsequent emigrés to join Jane Austen in Bath.

Indeed, Bath continues today to be a hotbed of the Scots nationalist cause and culture.

I learned only recently that:

In 2008, 104 decorated pigs were displayed around the city in a public art event called "King Bladud's Pigs in Bath". The event celebrated the city, its origins and its artists. Decorated pig sculptures were on display throughout the summer and were later auctioned to raise funds for Bath's Two Tunnels Greenway.

Such cultural interchange and diversity is of course to be warmly welcomed.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Inhich is not what the Scottish Gmt are offering, which is the fair shares option.

Golly, you're usual Scottish pronouncements are repeatedly stating your total indifference to the matter. Now your making peremptory statements about what Scotland 'needs' to do, and you don't even have a vote. Bizarre.

As we all know by now nobody is more certain of persuading scottish public opinion or indeed scottish labour voters than the PB tories. They're famous for their 'unique' insight. Hence the sheer deluge of scottish labour voters to be found on PB clearly desperate and eager to hear so many obsequious Cameroons gushing praise onto Cammie and foaming at the mouth about whatever CCHQ has told them to get upset about.
    At least Carynx tried to play the ball - just straight off the bat with your Bath bile.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Polruan said:

TGOHF said:

As advised on the previous thread, I slept during the broadcast of the speech and read its transcript afterwards.

Had you done the same, Mr Polruan, you would be have been aware of the following passage:

Given that more than 700,000 Scots live in the rest of the United Kingdom and over 500,000 from the rest of the UK live in Scotland, one would be tempted to assume that labour mobility between the two is high.15 In fact gross migration flows between Scotland and the rest of the UK are lower than in the constituent parts of some other currency areas (table 2).

And here is Table 2:
    Table 2: Labour mobility estimates, 2010                         

Regions Annual gross migration
    flows/population, %

US: between 50 states 2.4
    Australia: between 8 states/territories 1.5
    Canada: between 10 provinces/territories 1.0
    Scotland/rUK 0.6
    EU27: between 27 countries 0.3

Sources: OECD; Bank calculations using General Register Office
    Scotland Migration Statistics and ONS mid-year population
    estimates. All data are for 2010.

Notes: Population mobility estimates are shown for the UK,
    Australia, Canada and the Unites States and labour force
    mobility for the EU.
    Well, naturally I had those words burning at the forefront of my mind as I wrote. But - and I'm clearly missing something here - how does the fabled yellow box interact with my suggestion that "plenty" of people will travel between the two countries daily?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    FPT - EiT. Nah. I'm sorry, but you are never less convincing that when you talk about the EU. You don't think any renegotiation can take place because you don't want any renegotiation to take place, because you think the EU is a unashamedly a Good Thing.

The EU changes, adapts and reforms all the time. It did so recently during the Eurozone crisis and it will do so again. It all depends upon the outcomes the big EU countries wish for. There will be broad aims upon which the main EU countries agree. There will be huffing and puffing. There will be negotiation. There will be compromise. There will be protests, there will be clauses added in for some small countries. There will be exceptions and amendments. But it will continue to evolve. And the EU will pass what it needs to.

Because the alternative is the whole thing eventually dies because of its inability to change and the current EU member states realise this and no members (least of all you) truly wants that outcome.

• Options

TGOHF said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Use the pound outside a currency union, set up our own currency from day one, use the Euro. Plans B, C & D available depending on circs.

Anybody put their money where their mouth was and take you up on your bet then TUD?

I would guess not.
  • Options

Nigel Farage: Do ‘Question Time’ audiences need to be quite so hostile?

I want to question whether they are being exploited by the hard left

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nigel-farage-do-question-time-audiences-need-to-be-quite-so-hostile-9054389.html

Steven Twigg knew who Amy Rutland was, as he had been cooking up the "disgusting" attack on Diane James with her all afternoon before appearing on the show and referring to her, rather disingenuously, as "the lady in the audience" or some such innocent sounding term
  • Options
    In a “technocratic assessment” to Scottish business leaders Mark Carney was careful to be diplomatic, making no judgement on whether Scotland would be better or worse off if independent. But the speech pointedly contained a table comparing the size of Scotland’s banking sector unfavourably with Ireland, Iceland, Cyprus, and Spain.

In all these places, a bankrupt banking system too big for the host country led to the need for a national bailout. These countries had a banking system of between three and seven times the size of their GDP. Scotland’s banking system is 12 times the size of its GDP.

- See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/faisal-islam-on-economics/dependent-independence-carneys-warning-scotland/19989#sthash.GWMnJdNm.dpuf
  • Options

TGOHF said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Fair enough - suspect that there would be no objection to sharing pound equitably say on a 3 year basis until Scotland either joined the Euro or transferred to it's own currency.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Inhich is not what the Scottish Gmt are offering, which is the fair shares option.

As we all know by now nobody is more certain of persuading scottish public opinion or indeed scottish labour voters than the PB tories. They're famous for their 'unique' insight. Hence the sheer deluge of scottish labour voters to be found on PB clearly desperate and eager to hear so many obsequious Cameroons gushing praise onto Cammie and foaming at the mouth about whatever CCHQ has told them to get upset about.
    At least Carynx tried to play the ballbile.
    Did he rule out a currency union? Yes or No.

Since you are so fond of one of scotland's most popular political websites (you seem to have quite an adorable crush on the man who runs it) I'll let them tell the story.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/carney-speech-definitive-analysis/

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited January 2014

FWIW, I believe any Scottish decision to use sterling post independence will be accompanied by an application to join the eurozone within the usual transitional period. This would, inter alia, probably ensure there was no interest rate premium for Scottish gilts, over rUK gilts.

That wouldn't work. How would they manage the transition? The normal way of doing it is to start with ERM, i.e. try to lock the exchange rate into a defined band with the central bank intervening to ensure it remains in that band. Then you narrow the band, and finally lock your currency against the Euro at a fixed rate before the switchover date when the denomination of all bank accounts and commercial debts gets converted to Euros at the pre-defined rate. Obviously you can't do that without your own currency.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Why would he? He made clear the BoE's job was to implement what ever the Westminster and Holyrood governments agreed. Then set out in detail the challenges they would face doing so.....
  • Options

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Golly gosh - I'd love the Scots to leave - but for goodness sake do it properly - wanting to keep a currency union on the basis of Scottish only votes is bizarre. The rest of the UK would have a right to a say in this. The fact you seem unable to see this speaks volumes.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The most obvious plan B (given that euro entry is not an option in the current climate) is to do what the Free State did. It would be up to the Scottish Government to convince the Westminster Government that a currency union has more positives than negatives for it but if they still said no then there are perfectly reasonable alternatives available.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

Anybody put their money where their mouth was and take you up on your bet then TUD?

I would guess not.

If you want to peg a new currency to the rUK pound, nothing to stop you. It would restrict flexibility in policy setting, but that's probably tolerable for a few years.

Totally agree that this is no death-knell to independence. Bump in the road, perhaps, but I guess you expected a few of those.

Alex's assertions that they could stay with the pound and have a say on policy does, however, play into the hands of those accusing the SNP of being unprepared for independence.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Why would he? He made clear the BoE's job was to implement what ever the Westminster and Holyrood governments agreed. Then set out in detail the challenges they would face doing so.....
    Has Cameron ruled out a currency union? Yes or No.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited January 2014
    Mick_Pork said:

I would guess not.

Nope, the words courage and convictions spring to mind.
    I'll make it a long term offer, charity bet for £50 that Osborne, Cameron, Alexander, Clegg, Milliband, Balls and Carney will not definitively veto a currency union before the referendum.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

ut.

Since you are so fond of one of scotland's most popular political websites (you seem to have quite an adorable crush on the man who runs it) I'll let them tell the story.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/carney-speech-definitive-analysis/

I have no interest in the politics of Zomerzet.

Of course Carney didn't rule it out - and nobody claimed anywhere he would - but he did suggest that rUk would have to cede powers and take on risks to join this wonderful new single currency mk II.

For this to happen a rUk politician would have to be "brave" or ask the voters of rUk- land in a referendum.
  • Options
    felix said:

The rest of the UK would have a right to a say in this. The fact you seem unable to see this speaks volumes.

I think the fact that you dont seem to realise that everyone acknowledges that the rUK would get a say on a currency union is what really speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

AveryLP said:

FPT

Anorak said:

AveryLP said:

Anorak

1. In so far as the payment of tax for this income group is 'discretionary', the amount of tax paid will correlate with implied consent.

2. An optimal tax yield is the fairest outcome for those not in the top 1%.

3. The yield is only optimal because it is perceived to be at its fairest level by the top earners.

4. Have I missed something?

Hmm. I've numbered your comments.

1. For some in this category, it will be discretionary. For many, many others it will not be (the manager of a large supermarket would be an additional-rate payer in a good year). Furthermore, discretionary payment will be time-limited, by pushing income from one year to another, temporarily boosting pension payments (now restricted!), etc. I'd say that was a thin argument.

2. Simply untrue, or a perverse definition of 'fair'. One could assert that the confiscation of all assets belonging to the top 10% would be the fairest outcome for the remaining 90%. Again, it holds as much water as a rusty sieve.

3. Not buying that either. Its perceived to be the "least intolerable", or the "best expected", or perhaps, "reasonable". It may even be perceived as fair, but "fairest level"? I'm starting to assume you're teasing me, Mr Pole.

4. It would appear so.

Anorak

Should not anyone who admits to pursuing a "fairness" agenda be teased?

But I concede that tax yield optimisation is a tactic rather than a strategy.

And a strategic decision to pursue a fair tax policy needs agreeing first.

But then we hit the old problem of how to define "fair". Not easy.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Has Cameron ruled out a currency union? Yes or No.

Only a fool sets out his negotiating position before a negotiation.

That would be Eck then....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited January 2014
    I have obviously missed something with the independent Scotland using Sterling discussion, perhaps someone can help me out.

If an independent Scotland chooses to use Sterling as its currency then surely they are quite entitled to do so. The Turks and Caicos Islands, amongst others, use the US dollar, no problem. Where does this business of a currency union come from? If an independent country wants to use the currency of another state how does that impose any obligation on the "owner" of that currency?
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

felix said:

Carnyx said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The most obvious plan B (given that euro entry is not an option in the current climate) is to do what the Free State did. It would be up to the Scottish Government to convince the Westminster Government that a currency union has more positives than negatives for it but if they still said no then there are perfectly reasonable alternatives available.

Such as??? Surely if Scotland wants to truly control its own destiny it would want its own currency - the alternative is to accept dictat from another country.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Cammie not have a great PMQ's I take it? So many grumpy PBtories.

Cheer up! Haven't you heard? Little Ed and Labour will help save the fop from his own MPs.
    William Evans ‏@wgevans

Labour to help government defeat Tory rebels over EU work restrictions
    : Conservative backbenchers seeking to r... http://bit.ly/1k34peK
    LOL

• Options

I have obviously missed something with the independent Scotland using Sterling discussion, perhaps someone can help me out.

If an independent Scotland chooses to use Sterling as its currency then surely they are quite entitled to do so. The Turks and Caisos Islands, amongst others, use the US dollar, no problem. Where does this business of a currency union come from? If an independent country wants to use the currency of another state how does that impose any obligation on the "owner" of that currency?

The SNP are not talking about "dollarization" as you describe it - they are talking about a full Euro-style currency union between Indy Scotland and rUk.

This discussion has been closed.