Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why LAB could struggle to get a majority – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited February 2023 in General
imageWhy LAB could struggle to get a majority – politicalbetting.com

The above chart is based on data from tonight’s YouGov poll for the Times and seeks to show how the 2019 Tory vote is currently viewing the next election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First like the Tories.
  • Options
    Of course Labour could struggle! But the 28% Won't / DK figure is key.

Remember what happened in 1997:
    Labour increased by 2m votes to 13.5m
    The Tories collapsed - a 4.4m drop from 14.0m to 9.6m
    Literal millions of Tory voters stayed at home. Which turned what would have been a comfortable Labour win into a landslide.

This is Sunak's problem. He's desperately trying to shore up their 2019 coalition, but driving people away in droves because of a lack of delivery and appalling corruption. So even if previous Tories can't vote Labour or there isn't a LibDem option, just staying home will utterly sink them.
  • Options
    ICM's spiral of silence would see 50% of the Will Not Votes/DK eventually back the Tories.

It's why ICM were the top pollster for so long.

It is also why I have a lot of time for Deltapoll.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Far be it from me to contradict OGH but I think this is wrong.

Redfield & Wilton's poll (fieldwork 29/1) split the 2019 GE Conservative vote as follows:

50% Conservative, 22% Labour, 16% Don't Know and 7% Reform so a very different conclusion so it depends which pollster you think has this right. We also have the thorny question of whether people are accurately remembering what happened over three years and especially where some might now regret voting Conservative at the time and might not want to admit it now.

Even if all the R&W Don't Knows ran back to the Conservatives, Labour still had a 14-point lead.

Using past vote as a yardstick may not be the most reliable or accurate.

I've not seen YouGov's latest data but its fieldwork from 18th-19th January gave England voting intention as Lab 49 Con 28 which would be a 17% swing from Conservative to Labour.

Yet we continue to question the ability of Labour to produce a majority on these numbers - a uniform 17% swing (excluding tactical voting) would reduce the Conservatives to 140 seats.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,475
    I just spent a few minutes reading some of the last thread (not realising I wasn’t on the last page) before noticing there was a new one.

The free flowing meanders of an afternoon of PB are fascinating. Page 2 was full of fierce and tenacious trans related debate (without, as someone commented, anyone actually trans on the forum, something I think is badly missed because it makes the debates very hypothetical).

Page 6 was best pubs. I don’t have a favourite. Used to, should do now (I’d love if to be the Duck in Pett Bottom near the vineyard but it’s not) but don’t.

Now we’re on to polls. Last night I was - rightly - being derided for an overly precious reaction to being interrogated at Copenhagen passport control. Tonight I’m at peace (ish) with Brexit as I tuck into a bit of seafood at an extremely touristy spot in Nyhavn.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Indeed if all DKs and RefUK voters returned to the Conservatives they would be roughly level pegging, even without regaining any voters lost to Labour
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    HYUFD said:

Indeed if all DKs and RefUK voters returned to the Conservatives they would be roughly level pegging, even without regaining any voters lost to Labour

On the other hand if half the DKs decide they can bring themselves to vote Labour "just this time" then there's a massive landslide.

It's really an imponderable. But I don't think you lose by betting against the Tories in this position.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,526
    Why it is rash for Tories to count on the DKs returning. Even Tory voters think it time for a change.

https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2023/02/tories-pin-hopes-soft-voters-popularity-general-election-polls
  • Options
    (I'd also say that the "it's closer than you think" narrative significantly favours Labour's campaign strategy. The danger for them is complacency in their team if these poll leads are sustained up to the election.)
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Far be it from me to contradict OGH but I think this is wrong.

Redfield & Wilton's poll (fieldwork 29/1) split the 2019 GE Conservative vote as follows:

50% Conservative, 22% Labour, 16% Don't Know and 7% Reform so a very different conclusion so it depends which pollster you think has this right. We also have the thorny question of whether people are accurately remembering what happened over three years and especially where some might now regret voting Conservative at the time and might not want to admit it now.

Even if all the R&W Don't Knows ran back to the Conservatives, Labour still had a 14-point lead.

Using past vote as a yardstick may not be the most reliable or accurate.

I've not seen YouGov's latest data but its fieldwork from 18th-19th January gave England voting intention as Lab 49 Con 28 which would be a 17% swing from Conservative to Labour.

Yet we continue to question the ability of Labour to produce a majority on these numbers - a uniform 17% swing (excluding tactical voting) would reduce the Conservatives to 140 seats.

One problem we get perennially is poll wrangling to make the polls fit our narrative. There isn't going to be an imminent General Election, though the Locals are just a few months away.

Sometimes though we would be better off in betting terms to take them at face value, and at present they point to a Labour landslide and a rump Tory party in Parliament.

Maybe those polls will drift back, but equally they could get worse for the Tories.
  • Options

ICM's spiral of silence would see 50% of the Will Not Votes/DK eventually back the Tories.

It's why ICM were the top pollster for so long.

It is also why I have a lot of time for Deltapoll.

Deltapoll don't go out of their way to publish anything of value.

They don't publish the "raw" VI numbers - including DKs - so we've no idea how they have come to their final VI numbers.

To be fair, their Midlands sub sample had the Conservatives on 42%, Labour on 36% and the LDs on 17% so if you think that's credible polling there's a man at my local Spoons who can sell you a Thames River Crossing.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,475
    mwadams said:

(I'd also say that the "it's closer than you think" narrative significantly favours Labour's campaign strategy. The danger for them is complacency in their team if these poll leads are sustained up to the election.)

Absolutely, they should focus relentlessly on the worst polls for them until the election.

They also really need to get their act together on tacit non aggression pact with the Lib Dems. Promise some sort of constituency level AV after the election. AV would suit Labour very well now, because of the impact on SNP marginals in Scotland.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited February 2023
    This is an excellent piece on the moral ambition behind Thatcherism and how it has utterly failed, creating a class of self-entitled boomers who, on average, take far more than they ever put into the system.

https://open.substack.com/pub/samf/p/boomers-and-the-ultimate-failure?utm_source=direct&r=atl4u&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

It also suggests the Tories are fucked for some time, and that we are on the eve of a great change, equivalent to 1945 and 1979.

I think I agree with all of it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,892
    TimS said:

I just spent a few minutes reading some of the last thread (not realising I wasn’t on the last page) before noticing there was a new one.

The free flowing meanders of an afternoon of PB are fascinating. Page 2 was full of fierce and tenacious trans related debate (without, as someone commented, anyone actually trans on the forum, something I think is badly missed because it makes the debates very hypothetical).

Page 6 was best pubs. I don’t have a favourite. Used to, should do now (I’d love if to be the Duck in Pett Bottom near the vineyard but it’s not) but don’t.

Now we’re on to polls. Last night I was - rightly - being derided for an overly precious reaction to being interrogated at Copenhagen passport control. Tonight I’m at peace (ish) with Brexit as I tuck into a bit of seafood at an extremely touristy spot in Nyhavn.

There used to be an openly trans poster on here - probably about five years back. I think one or two posters are still in contact with him. From memory, his views were sometimes not exactly what you might expect (and that is one of the glorious things about PB).
  • Options

TimS said:

There used to be an openly trans poster on here - probably about five years back. I think one or two posters are still in contact with him. From memory, his views were sometimes not exactly what you might expect (and that is one of the glorious things about PB).
    James, I think? Completed transition m to f a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 824
    edited February 2023
    On topic, yes I think NOM is by far the most likely but agree with mwadams that this is exactly what Labour will want us to think also.

On The Old Forge has anyone been there since Eabhal in 2020? I was there at peak crazy Belgian-it was awful, overpriced (which I guess is understandable) and with crap food (which is not). The locals had made a protest bar just outside. Leon when were you there and why did it make your list?

PS @TimS just want to reiterate I wasn’t personally meaning to deride you in any way over passport control, apologies if it appeared so.
  • Options
    TimS said:

mwadams said:

Absolutely, they should focus relentlessly on the worst polls for them until the election.

They also really need to get their act together on tacit non aggression pact with the Lib Dems. Promise some sort of constituency level AV after the election. AV would suit Labour very well now, because of the impact on SNP marginals in Scotland.
    The evidence from by-elections is that Labour and Lib Dems understand each other at some level. Whether that has gone as far as accidentally leaving campaign maps in the gents of an off-Westminster pub, I don't know. The other challenge will be to discreetly get the right messages into the ears of the right voters.
  • Options

50% would be a bit bizarre given that only 44% of all 2019 Conservative voters will vote Conservative now.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,860
    @SunPolitics: Dominic Raab could QUIT ahead of damning bullying probe against him https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/21243294/dominic-raab-could-quit-damning-probe/
  • Options

This is an excellent piece on the moral ambition behind Thatcherism and how it has utterly failed, creating a class of self-entitled boomers who, on average, take far more than they ever put into the system.

https://open.substack.com/pub/samf/p/boomers-and-the-ultimate-failure?utm_source=direct&r=atl4u&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

It also suggests the Tories are fucked for some time, and that we are on the eve of a great change, equivalent to 1945 and 1979.

It is an article which ignores the fact most pensioners did not grow up wealthy, have created wealth and assets for their children and grandchildren, paid into the system all their lives despite never having had the opportunity to go to university much more of today's generation did, were more family oriented and generally do a lot for the community and voluntary work.

It is an article written by a libertarian with little interest in family or the wider community
  • Options

TimS said:

I remember that person. Posted as a bloke for quite a few years then put up an actual photo and explained about transitioning and then quietly vanished as many trans people do.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,451
    I need to read the discussion about best pubs.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,794
    FPT for @maxh

I’ve been to the Old Forge in Knoydart a few times. I can’t remember the food, the prices or even the drinks, much. Tho here is a photo of a gin and tonic I had there in July 2009!

Anywhere else it would be a pleasant pub? But it isn’t anywhere else. It’s THERE. And you can meet mad people partly because it is THERE

Also I got chatted up by a bonny but very bored bargirl, on my first long ago visit.

It is an unforgettable place (not just because of sexy bargirls). No roads in!
  • Options
    Surely from the point of view of anyone looking for significant and lasting change in UK politics, the worst scenario would be a large majority for Labour.

Far, far better to have a more marginal govt that partners can enforce choices on. I would particularly like to see PR, but no large majority govt would ever bring it in
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

45% of the Redfield & Wilton Don't Knows were 2019 Conservative voters so you're first assuming the other 55% will suddenly all decide to vote Conservative which seems implausible.

The second biggest batch of Don't Knows were voters who didn't vote at all in 2019 so if they didn't vote then it's unlikely they'll vote in 2024.

Roughly a third of Don't Knows voted for other parties in 2019 - again, they are all suddenly going to vote Conservative, apparently?

At the most fundamental level, you are correct - add together the Conservative share, the Reform share and ALL the Don't Knows (not just those who voted Conservative last time) and you'd get the Conservative share close to that of Labour.

However, the notion ALL Don't Know will vote Conservative is just absurd - some will of course but all of them?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    I'm off the fence now. The Labour majority is coming. It's in the death and taxes category.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

It is an article which ignores the fact most pensioners did not grow up wealthy, have created wealth and assets for their children and grandchildren, paid into the system all their lives despite never having had the opportunity to go to university much more of today's generation did, were more family oriented and generally do a lot for the community and voluntary work.

It is an article written by a libertarian with little interest in family or the wider community
    That generation (which includes my parents, who did not go to university) had - broadly speaking - the advantage of a rapidly growing economy, a generous welfare state, cheaper housing, and increasing class mobility.

Lucky them.

Unfortunately, they have hoarded their assets and economic growth has slowed. Their children, unless they inherit (and note the statistic in there about who benefits from inheritance) are being given no hope.

They will not stand for it, and their time is coming.
  • Options

TimS said:

John I believe, can't remember the surname.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics: Dominic Raab could QUIT ahead of damning bullying probe against him https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/21243294/dominic-raab-could-quit-damning-probe/

Hope so.

If Rishi does want to scrape the least bad loss (I think a win is now out of the question), he needs to get rid of Raab and Braverman like he (under duress) got rid of Zahawi and Williamson.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

TimS said:

I take it we're not counting Byronic?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043

TimS said:

I remember that person. Posted as a bloke for quite a few years then put up an actual photo and explained about transitioning and then quietly vanished as many trans people do.
    Ooh I don't remember that. So it was either during one of my lengthy periods away or the whole subject is of such little interest to me, I was here, but just missed the whole affair.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    edited February 2023

Its a decent first year undergrad essay, sure, but I think it fails to recognise a very, very under appreciated group in society. Business owners.

Thatcher's legacy is in my opinion shown in the growth in the number of self employed in the economy.

I'm in my 30s. The only friends of mine who have been able to buy houses without independent or family wealth are those who work in the city, in law, or who own their own businesses. Often small groups of tradesmen, but also tech companies or retailers.

What worries me is not the boomers - they're a temporary blip, the golden generation of beneficiaries of the old and new systems - but that the numbers of self employed are declining. I hope its a Covid blip. If it isn't, then the Tory party should really worry.

Edit to add: Whitehall doesn't understand small business at all. If anything, the general view is negative. Too amorphous, too hard to deal with etc. It is in my opinion why e.g. Cummings was right that the civil service needed more political advice and direction.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

If Rishi does want to scrape the least bad loss (I think a win is now out of the question), he needs to get rid of Raab and Braverman like he (under duress) got rid of Zahawi and Williamson.
    Why Braverman? I know you hate her because she’s a right wing HS, but electorally she is on the button. She has told the Tories that if they don’t stop the boats they are FUCKED. And she is damn right

I reckon the Tories are doomed whatever they do, but if they stop the boats they can prevent a bad defeat becoming an apocalyptic rout
  • Options

TimS said:

Ooh I don't remember that. So it was either during one of my lengthy periods away or the whole subject is of such little interest to me, I was here, but just missed the whole affair.
    It was quite a while ago. Sometime pre-Brexit I think.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

HYUFD said:

That generation (which includes my parents, who did not go to university) had - broadly speaking - the advantage of a rapidly growing economy, a generous welfare state, cheaper housing, and increasing class mobility.

Lucky them.

Unfortunately, they have hoarded their assets and economic growth has slowed. Their children, unless they inherit (and note the statistic in there about who benefits from inheritance) are being given no hope.

The average young person will inherit though, as the average parent and grandparent is a home owner. The may inherit more in London and the Home counties but house prices are highest there anyway
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Its a decent first year undergrad essay, sure, but I think it fails to recognise a very, very under appreciated group in society. Business owners.

Thatcher's legacy is in my opinion shown in the growth in the number of self employed in the economy.

I'm in my 30s. The only friends of mine who have been able to buy houses without independent or family wealth are those who work in the city, in law, or who own their own businesses. Often small groups of tradesmen, but also tech companies or retailers.

What worries me is not the boomers - they're a temporary blip, the golden generation of beneficiaries of the old and new systems - but that the numbers of self employed are declining. I hope its a Covid blip. If it isn't, then the Tory party should really worry.
    Don’t be a twerp (decent undergrad essay).

The point, which is very insightful, is that the moral beliefs behind Thatcherism have essentially been betrayed.

The polling of younger people is scary. They see no stake in an economy or society that promises them very little.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787

The counterpoint is that it could be that neither the tories or labour will address this problem, because it is rooted in a bigger structural issue ie of an ageing population influencing democracy and voting in their self interest. If you have this group supporting you, and you can also find ways of expanding it, then you have a winning electoral coalition.

It may be that millenials and younger people are not voting conservative, but nor are they coherently voting for Labour.
  • Options

TimS said:

John I believe, can't remember the surname.
    John_m
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,860
    Leon said:

Why Braverman? I know you hate her because she’s a right wing HS, but electorally she is on the button. She has told the Tories that if they don’t stop the boats they are FUCKED. And she is damn right

She broke the ministerial code, so she should not be a minister.

And as she is a minister, her job is to STOP THE BOATS.

By your own standard, she is useless.

Why keep her in post?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,580
    I am not expecting a majority. If I were to bet, it would be on NOM.
  • Options
    darkage said:

The counterpoint is that it could be that neither the tories or labour will address this problem, because it is rooted in a bigger structural issue ie of an ageing population influencing democracy and voting in their self interest. If you have this group supporting you, and you can also find ways of expanding it, then you have a winning electoral coalition.

It may be that millenials and younger people are not voting conservative, but nor are they coherently voting for Labour.
    And the average voter is now 50 not 30 anyway
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591
    edited February 2023
    From previous thread:. Topping mentioned The Gasworks restaurant. I have fond memories of it. The food was mediocre but it had an erotic atmosphere:there was an interesting painting in the ladies of three women and a goat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

I’ve been to the Old Forge in Knoydart a few times. I can’t remember the food, the prices or even the drinks, much. Tho here is a photo of a gin and tonic I had there in July 2009!

Anywhere else it would be a pleasant pub? But it isn’t anywhere else. It’s THERE. And you can meet mad people partly because it is THERE

Also I got chatted up by a bonny but very bored bargirl, on my first long ago visit.

Makes much more sense now, thanks.
    Reminds me of the first part of the old adage, everything is about sex, except sex, which is about power.
  • Options

At least Thatcherism had a moral ambition. Today's spivocracy is only interested in defrauding the public to line its own pockets.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

I reckon the Tories are doomed whatever they do, but if they stop the boats they can prevent a bad defeat becoming an apocalyptic rout
    Because the Tories can’t win by doubling down on their angry rump. They HAVE to appeal to right leaning moderates.

Even if Braverman is right about the boats (and I don’t think she is), she is quite clearly thick, incompetent, and narcissistic. She actively repels moderates.

Again, accepting for a moment that the boats need to be addressed, Sunak’s best strategy is to address them via somebody else.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

The average young person will inherit though, as the average parent and grandparent is a home owner. The may inherit more in London and the Home counties but house prices are highest there anyway
    They'll inherit after they retire. What good is that?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited February 2023

Mortimer said:

The point, which is very insightful, is that the moral beliefs behind Thatcherism have essentially been betrayed.

The polling of younger people is scary. They see no stake in an economy or society that promises them very little.
    That's where a quarter of a century of Blair and Cameronite heir-to-Blair policies telling everybody we can avoid hard choices and just live off the state have got us.

- no significant growth
    - higher and higher taxes and spending
    - young and enterprising being repeated screwed over

This country urgently needs some Thatcherite tough love and there's absolutely no prospect of it getting it from the two non-entities vying to ruin us.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

Reminds me of the first part of the old adage, everything is about sex, except sex, which is about power.
    Also, beautiful photo, thanks, brings back memories.
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

HYUFD will be repeating this idea that the average young person will inherit even as he is sent to a salt mine in the Urals for persistent cretinism.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why keep her in post?
    Well then sure, in that case

But is there any potential replacement who is MORE likely to stop the boats? Can’t see it. Braverman will probably fail as well, but at least she looks determined, and she is unruffled by Woke critiques

I read some persuasive analysis today which said that a lot of the disillusionment with Brexit (and, hence, the Tories) is because of the lamentable failure on immigration. Many Brexit voters voted to take back control of the borders. The Tories promised to do this. Instead we have record immigration AND the Dinghy People.

So the Brexiteers who were mainly concerned with migration (eg in the Red Wall) have rightly deserted the Tories - and Brexit. The sovereigntist liberal leavers, like me, are still fine with Brexit, I never cared about Polish plumbers anyway (tho I respect the votes of those that do)

The analysis further reckoned that much of this sentiment is hidden because people are reluctant to admit to misgivings about migration and asylum seekers etc. My hunch is: this is right

TLDR: Tories are gonna lose bad. They have already failed on migration
  • Options
    edited February 2023

At least Thatcherism had a moral ambition. Today's spivocracy is only interested in defrauding the public to line its own pockets.
    Implicitly this is one of the points made by the essay. It’s why the Tories can’t just keep putting on the same old Thatcherite pantomime.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

No they will inherit from grandparents in their late 20s and 30s, which helps with a deposit. They may well then inherit from their parents in their 60s too to get a bigger property
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

No they will inherit from grandparents in their 30s, which helps with a deposit. They may well then inherit from their parents in their 60s too to get a bigger property
    What happens if the grandparents leave it to the parents who blow it all on riotous living?
  • Options

TimS said:

I turned off in 2012 only to return in 2017. The Tories were in the ascent and there was lots of enthusiastic cheerleading. Where did it all go wrong?
  • Options

To quote the line someone else once posted, Maggie wanted to make a land in the image of her father, but ended up creating one in the image of her son.

She failed, but the aspiration kept the Conservatives of the 80s aware that there was a straight and narrow path.

The current crop don't even have that awareness.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    kinabalu said:

I'm off the fence now. The Labour majority is coming. It's in the death and taxes category.

I am still thinking that NOM is quite likely. But no-one could accuse the Tories of not trying their hardest to lose every single voter who has ever voted for them. If elections were horse races this lot would be in front of the Jockey Club for failing to try their best.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

Because the Tories can’t win by doubling down on their angry rump. They HAVE to appeal to right leaning moderates.

Even if Braverman is right about the boats (and I don’t think she is), she is quite clearly thick, incompetent, and narcissistic. She actively repels moderates.

Again, accepting for a moment that the boats need to be addressed, Sunak’s best strategy is to address them via somebody else.
    Every point here is either wrong or irrelevant
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Don’t be a twerp (decent undergrad essay)..
    Probably written by an AI.... :D
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

He can't. It's pretty much established that Braverman wants to stop the boats more than the rest of Sunak's piss poor decline-managers. Moving her on is essentially admitting defeat on boats, and it (and she) would unleash ten tonnes of cow pat on to him, precipitating his exit. Unless she commits a new and serious misdemeanor, she stays.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

No they will inherit from grandparents in their late 20s and 30s, which helps with a deposit. They may well then inherit from their parents in their 60s too to get a bigger property
    Does this happen in 21st Century Britain, or in Postman Pat's Greendale?
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

As I turn 50, everyone I know from modest backgrounds is watching their parents liquidate their assets to pay for retirement, and (increasingly) end-of-life care. These "inheritances" are disappearing into corporate coffers like so much other "wealth".
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

No.

The Tories have the over 60 vote in Lowestoft stitched up. But you can’t win an election with that, you have to reach into the middle, or somewhere closer.

Braverman has the noisy support of the night shift on Radio Broadmoor (ie the ERG) and the Daily Mail editorials. But it’s a 20% strategy.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

TimS said:

I turned off in 2012 only to return in 2017. The Tories were in the ascent and there was lots of enthusiastic cheerleading. Where did it all go wrong?
    We are now 13 years into Tory Government. Only one government since universal suffrage has won a general election after 10 consecutive years of their party in power, the Tories in 1992.

What do you expect in a democracy?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

As I turn 50, everyone I know from modest backgrounds is watching their parents liquidate their assets to pay for retirement, and (increasingly) end-of-life care. These "inheritances" are disappearing into corporate coffers like so much other "wealth".
    Less than a third of pensioners will need dementia care, certainly residential care. Most will die before or avoid it
  • Options
    maxh said:

maxh said:

Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

it was a stunning day (by Hebridean standards). Calm warm and sunny

I have been rather lucky, weather wise, on my many visits to wild northern Scotland. I even got sunburned on St Kilda, once (and didn’t there used to be a makeshift army pub there? That would have been amazebombs), I have also experienced Sleat and Knoydart in brutal cold weather but with clear blue skies and snow on the peaks. Equally glorious, but tough

OTOH I have spent a few days in and around Glasgow during a cold dark wet early January. There are few places ON EARTH as depressing as Glasgow, in those circumstances. It is Satanically awful

• Options

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

Does this happen in 21st Century Britain, or in Postman Pat's Greendale?
    It happens all over the country. Certainly in the South (housing more affordable North of the Watford Gap anyway)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

We are now 13 years into Tory Government. Only one government since universal suffrage has won a general election after 10 consecutive years of their party in power, the Tories in 1992.

At risk of being picky, Labour won the general election of February 1950 having been in power since May 1940 (with a two month break in 1945).
  • Options

Of course Labour could struggle! But the 28% Won't / DK figure is key.

Remember what happened in 1997:
    Labour increased by 2m votes to 13.5m
    The Tories collapsed - a 4.4m drop from 14.0m to 9.6m
    Literal millions of Tory voters stayed at home. Which turned what would have been a comfortable Labour win into a landslide.

This is Sunak's problem. He's desperately trying to shore up their 2019 coalition, but driving people away in droves because of a lack of delivery and appalling corruption. So even if previous Tories can't vote Labour or there isn't a LibDem option, just staying home will utterly sink them.

The 2019 coalition is history. It consisted of: those (mostly pensioners) who always vote Tory; those who got up early to vote against Jezza; Brexiteers; the right wing/UKIPs; Boris fans; red wall.

The only reliable group now is (by definition) those who always vote Tory. The Fellowship of The Ring has sundered and cannot soon be put back together.

It would take phenomenal own goals from Labour to blow it. Though they have a group of MPs and hangers on who will keep trying to lose right to the end.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,909
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Why keep her in post?
    Well then sure, in that case

But is there any potential replacement who is MORE likely to stop the boats? Can’t see it. Braverman will probably fail as well, but at least she looks determined, and she is unruffled by Woke critiques

I read some persuasive analysis today which said that a lot of the disillusionment with Brexit (and, hence, the Tories) is because of the lamentable failure on immigration. Many Brexit voters voted to take back control of the borders. The Tories promised to do this. Instead we have record immigration AND the Dinghy People.

So the Brexiteers who were mainly concerned with migration (eg in the Red Wall) have rightly deserted the Tories - and Brexit. The sovereigntist liberal leavers, like me, are still fine with Brexit, I never cared about Polish plumbers anyway (tho I respect the votes of those that do)

The analysis further reckoned that much of this sentiment is hidden because people are reluctant to admit to misgivings about migration and asylum seekers etc. My hunch is: this is right

TLDR: Tories are gonna lose bad. They have already failed on migration
    The cynical part of me expects an them to shift checks from lorries to boats - reducing the headline boat figure in the hope that the press goes with that as the headline rather than '20 dead found in back of frozen food truck'.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

What are the pubs with the best views in the country? When at University I used to go to the Jolly Sailor in Bursledon (Hampshire). Lovely views out over the marina on a sunny Summer's evening. I think that area is where they filmed Howard's Way.
  • Options
    Sunak of course had a golden opportunity to throw Braverman to the wolves in the first week or so of his premiership.

He flunked it, and possibly, with that, flunked his chances in 24.
  • Options

Sunak of course had a golden opportunity to throw Braverman to the wolves in the first week or so of his premiership.

He flunked it, and possibly, with that, flunked his chances in 24.

TBF, that was good news for the wolves.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2023
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

Why would they want a bigger property in their 60s? Their children should have flown the nest. They would be more likely to want to downsize, maybe moving to the countryside or the coast.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

Why would they want a bigger property in their 60s? Their children should have flown the nest. They would be more likely to want to downsize, maybe moving to the countryside or the coast.
    Or they could transfer their inheritance from their parents to their children to buy
  • Options
    Approaching St Kilda, via the Stacs. The day I got sunburned. I saw a hoopoe on the cliffs

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

At risk of being picky, Labour won the general election of February 1950 having been in power since May 1940 (with a two month break in 1945).
    The PM was Tory from 1940 to 1945 with the Tories having far more seats than Labour.

Labour were only in government as were the Liberals because of the War, the Conservatives had a majority
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,892
    edited February 2023
    maxh said:

Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

Del.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

mwadams said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Lucky them.

Less than a third of pensioners will need dementia care, certainly residential care. Most will die before or avoid it
    Or, to put it another way at least a quarter *have* to liquidate their assets, and many more will choose to, to cover lifestyle expenses.
  • Options
    My favourite pub is the Sir Robert Peel. It is a proper old fashioned city pub, with wood panelling, open fires, pub dog, decent beer, booths of various sizes and a great landlady. Food is limited, but I recommend the soup of the day:

• Options
    From that article

As Duncan Robinson recently noted in the Economist:

“On average someone born in 1956 will pay about £940,000 in tax throughout their life. But they are forecast to receive state benefits amounting to about £1.2m, or £291,000 net. Someone born in 1996 will enjoy less than half of that figure: a fresh-faced 27-year-old today will receive barely more than someone born in 1931, about a decade before the term ‘welfare state’ was first popularised.”

And yet despite this the boomer sense of entitlement remains undimmed, as we can see in the current debate about how to reduce the number of older people dropping out of the labour market. Despite its obvious absurdity the idea of giving people in their 50s and 60s income tax breaks in order to continue working is being heavily promoted in the Tory friendly press; the Telegraph, Mail and Express now being essentially Union newsletters for pensioners.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

The PM was Tory from 1940 to 1945 with the Tories having far more seats than Labour.

Labour were only in government as were the Liberals because of the War, the Conservatives had a majority
    Yes, but they were still 'in power.'

I mean, the Tories were only in government from 2010 to 2015 because of the Liberal Democrats, but it didn't mean they weren't 'in power.'

Your argument is the more bizarre because I'd left you two loopholes - I even obligingly emphasised one of them for you - which you could have quite justifiably used to reject my example on a technicality but you overlooked entirely.
  • Options

From that article

“On average someone born in 1956 will pay about £940,000 in tax throughout their life. But they are forecast to receive state benefits amounting to about £1.2m, or £291,000 net. Someone born in 1996 will enjoy less than half of that figure: a fresh-faced 27-year-old today will receive barely more than someone born in 1931, about a decade before the term ‘welfare state’ was first popularised.”

And yet despite this the boomer sense of entitlement remains undimmed, as we can see in the current debate about how to reduce the number of older people dropping out of the labour market. Despite its obvious absurdity the idea of giving people in their 50s and 60s income tax breaks in order to continue working is being heavily promoted in the Tory friendly press; the Telegraph, Mail and Express now being essentially Union newsletters for pensioners.

In April we will see the Pensioners get 10.1%, while the workers get stuffed again. No wonder they strike.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I think that what frustrates me about the Tory approach to every one of these issues is that they have *no policy* to address *any* issues. HUYFD is a great touchstone for this: every concern is met by a response that it isn't actually a problem and everything will be fine, on the basis that no single thing affects more than 50% of people (and those it does affect are unlikely to vote Tory anyway).

That's no way to govern. And totally unlike the Tory party I once supported.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    I hope you had a good strike day. Accomplish anything?
  • Options
    TimS said:

I find it fascinating (not the subject, the process) of how people can endlessly debate "trans" without the discussion ever going anywhere and it being about 84th on anyone's list of the most important issues facing the country.

I presume because it's about values and identity and so it never ends.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

He can't. It's pretty much established that Braverman wants to stop the boats more than the rest of Sunak's piss poor decline-managers. Moving her on is essentially admitting defeat on boats, and it (and she) would unleash ten tonnes of cow pat on to him, precipitating his exit. Unless she commits a new and serious misdemeanor, she stays.
    Looking at the evidence, I don't think we can stop the boats by, er, stopping the boats. The French have little real interest in stopping the people smugglers as it reduces pressure on their own asylum process and on policing the migrants near their coast. Once they are afloat and in our half of the channel then, on safety grounds alone, we have to let people land.

For the umptieth time, we can only stop illegal migration by stopping the pull factor - we must make it easy for illegal immigrants to shop those who employ them (and give them fast track right to stay if they do so) and have massive criminal penalties for the owners and managers caught doing so.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

You're not looking beyond the boomers. And as I said, they're the blip. The true children of Thatcher are the middle class business owners. If they shall inherit the earth (or rather, the reins of the Tory party), the small-minded nimbyism goes and is replaced by pro-growth policies a la Truss.

You could write a similarly decent essay showing the problems inherent within modern socialism (the expectations of a post-Thatcher world without the state collecting enough income to fund it, leading to bust - possibly quite literally - which betrays the moral beliefs behind Atleee etc).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You're not looking beyond the boomers. And as I said, they're the blip. The true children of Thatcher are the middle class business owners. If they shall inherit the earth (or rather, the reins of the Tory party), the small-minded nimbyism goes and is replaced by pro-growth policies a la Truss.

You could write a similarly decent essay showing the problems inherent within modern socialism (the expectations of a post-Thatcher world without the state collecting enough income to fund it, leading to bust - possibly quite literally - which betrays the moral beliefs behind Atleee etc).
    I would consider myself a middle class business owner.

I also consider Truss an idiotic lightweight who's a menace to our economy.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

I think that what frustrates me about the Tory approach to every one of these issues is that they have *no policy* to address *any* issues. HUYFD is a great touchstone for this: every concern is met by a response that it isn't actually a problem and everything will be fine, on the basis that no single thing affects more than 50% of people (and those it does affect are unlikely to vote Tory anyway).

That's no way to govern. And totally unlike the Tory party I once supported.

And as noted above, completely unlike Thatcher.

Who I remain a great fan of, even as I understand that many of her reforms didn’t succeed on her own terms.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

No.

The Tories have the over 60 vote in Lowestoft stitched up. But you can’t win an election with that, you have to reach into the middle, or somewhere closer.

Braverman has the noisy support of the night shift on Radio Broadmoor (ie the ERG) and the Daily Mail editorials. But it’s a 20% strategy.
    Concern about the boats is afaik not a niche right wing issue, as wokery might be, it is very national now with the dispersal to hotels nationwide, and though economical issues and the NHS are foremost on people's minds (quite rightly), this plays into both of those as an irritant.

You continue to hope fondly that the feted return of managerial politics and the civil service taking the country on the slow trudge toward full European integration whether the lumpen proles like it or not is a votewinner. It isn't. It never was, and it is certainly proving manifestly inadequate to the issues we face now.
  • Options

TimS said:

I find it fascinating (not the subject, the process) of how people can endlessly debate "trans" without the discussion ever going anywhere and it being about 84th on anyone's list of the most important issues facing the country.

I presume because it's about values and identity and so it never ends.
    Trans Rights has become a pivotal battlefield in the wider Culture Wars; not that significant in itself, yet as each side piles in it gains in significance. Like Stalingrad, or Verdun. Dien Bien Phu

Entire wars can be decided over forts and towns that no one had really heard off, before hostilities
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Leon said:

maxh said:

maxh said:

Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

it was a stunning day (by Hebridean standards). Calm warm and sunny

I have been rather lucky, weather wise, on my many visits to wild northern Scotland. I even got sunburned on St Kilda, once (and didn’t there used to be a makeshift army pub there? That would have been amazebombs), I have also experienced Sleat and Knoydart in brutal cold weather but with clear blue skies and snow on the peaks. Equally glorious, but tough

OTOH I have spent a few days in and around Glasgow during a cold dark wet early January. There are few places ON EARTH as depressing as Glasgow, in those circumstances. It is Satanically awful

A work colleague from the East Midlands called the colour of the sky “Glasgow Grey”. However, a sunny day on the West Coast or the Hebrides is unbeatable. Which reminds me of one of one of my favourite pubs; the Tayvallich Inn.
    https://www.tayvallichinn.com/images/gallery/DSCN1268.jpg
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

Looking at the evidence, I don't think we can stop the boats by, er, stopping the boats. The French have little real interest in stopping the people smugglers as it reduces pressure on their own asylum process and on policing the migrants near their coast. Once they are afloat and in our half of the channel then, on safety grounds alone, we have to let people land.

For the umptieth time, we can only stop illegal migration by stopping the pull factor - we must make it easy for illegal immigrants to shop those who employ them (and give them fast track right to stay if they do so) and have massive criminal penalties for the owners and managers caught doing so.
    Yes, but they don't work illegally from the boats, they claim asylum.

https://twitter.com/refugeecouncil/status/1620315009992773633?t=MOypKT_9blB8OPReSNkXmg&s=19
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Foxy said:

From that article

In April we will see the Pensioners get 10.1%, while the workers get stuffed again. No wonder they strike.
    Was berated by an angry pensioner today. Holiday every six weeks and I want a pay rise.
    Shortly after a moan about rising prices.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,118
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

FPT for @maxh

What are the pubs with the best views in the country? When at University I used to go to the Jolly Sailor in Bursledon (Hampshire). Lovely views out over the marina on a sunny Summer's evening. I think that area is where they filmed Howard's Way.
    I have a soft spot for the Wasdale Head inn, with mountains all around. For bleakness the Tan Hill Inn is hard to beat.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Hope so.

No.

Concern about the boats is afaik not a niche right wing issue, as wokery might be, it is very national now with the disperal to hotels nationwide, and though economical issues and the NHS are foremost on people's minds (quite rightly), this plays into both of those as an irritant.

You continue to hope fondly that the feted return of managerial politics and the civil service taking the country on the slow trudge toward full European integration whether the lumpen proles like it or not is a votewinner. It isn't. It never was, and it is certainly proving manifestly inadequate to the issues we face now.
    No, I don’t accept your characterisation of my wanting a “return to managerial politics”.

Obviously I think you are a moonbat, but I tentatively agree with you that Sunak is a managerialist waste of time.

My argument is based purely on what I think makes electoral sense for the Tories, and is made as an intellectual exercise.

In reality, I want the Tories annihilated and humiliated.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mortimer said:

That's where a quarter of a century of Blair and Cameronite heir-to-Blair policies telling everybody we can avoid hard choices and just live off the state have got us.

- no significant growth
    - higher and higher taxes and spending
    - young and enterprising being repeated screwed over

This country urgently needs some Thatcherite tough love and there's absolutely no prospect of it getting it from the two non-entities vying to ruin us.
    Indeed. I can think of no affirmative reasons for voting for anyone. I shall vote Labour as a less bad option to the Tories but not for anything they positively offer.

The need is for a moral (ie not Boris) version of that leadership charisma which can take the actuality of the moment, and replace 'My glass is half empty and I think it is going to get emptier' with 'My glass is half full and I think that half full is the starting point for getting fuller'.

There are no factual differences between these two positions. This is what leadership is made of.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Yes, but they were still 'in power.'

I mean, the Tories were only in government from 2010 to 2015 because of the Liberal Democrats, but it didn't mean they weren't 'in power.'

Your argument is the more bizarre because I'd left you two loopholes - I even obligingly emphasised one of them for you - which you could have quite justifiably used to reject my example on a technicality but you overlooked entirely.
    The Tories had comfortably most seats from 2010 to 2015 and the PM.

Labour did not have the PM from 1940 and 1945 and the Tories had a majority of MPs, it was a completely different scenario. Without WW2 Labour would not have been in government
This discussion has been closed.