Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options

Labour 30 points ahead?

Let's have another trans debate

A good friend of mine is a trans woman finally now getting hormone therapy after saving enough cash to go private and thus bypass the NHS endless wait list. My eldest is non-binary, dated several trans men and is currently in a thouple. And I'm married to a wife who was sexually assaulted by a former boyfriend, with an 11 year old daughter.

So I have a direct personal interest in trans rights, gender rights, women's rights. But the idea that I am going to get het up by either of the extremes, then gaslit by the Tories is laughable. Its a non-issue politically. The more they try and make it an issue, the stupider they look.
    Excellent post Rochdale.

How are you keeping friend?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,903
    Zahawi was clearly delusional if once the HMRC information was handed to the ethics advisor he didn’t think it was over and didn’t resign days ago .

Now the questions will be how much did Sunak know when he appointed him as Chairman . Sunak looks weak regardless of the sacking .
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Labour’s women problem:

Baroness Hayter said it was easier for Labour peers to speak out because they do not have a constituency party to answer to. She said Labour MPs were often worried about the abuse they and, particularly, their staff, would be subjected to.

“I’m afraid I see this as being a bit like antisemitism when it was first called out in the party and people were saying it was all being exaggerated and overblown and with this issue it is the same thing,” she said. “They are trying to squash us and stop us from raising it. Jewish groups were told to be quiet about antisemitism and now women are being told to shut up too. But this is misogyny. This is men telling women to get back in their box.”

https://archive.ph/jqXaR

Er yes - as I have been pointing out on here since September 2021 - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/20/one-current-leader-and-one-future-one/.

It will be interesting to see whether Yvette Cooper or David Blunkett face the same abuse. Her sensible comments this week are in direct contradiction of what some of her Shadow Cabinet colleagues have been saying. As for Starmer he is behaving like Corbyn on this in his refusal to stand up for women MPs bullied for speaking up about women's rights or to criticise or discipline those doing the bullying. Weak and disgraceful. But being so will not stop him becoming PM. It will just mean we get another variety of poor leadership.
    From what I have read the trouble remains at CLP level, with selected MPs getting grief from their local party about not being right-on enough. So when someone like Rosie Duffield takes a principled stand she gets grief from the grass roots which some of the weaker / more reactive / more stupid MPs (Lloyd wotzit-thingy as an example) take as permission to go off on one to score points.

Unless someone goes off and backs one of the extremes this remains about 117th on people's list of political priorities. I don't understand why Starmer isn't just slapping down the abuse and demanding that MPs and activists remain civil to each other.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

Foxy said:

Aaron Bell is very definitely on the Tory right but is also smart, sane, grounded, presentable and capable. That combination is incredibly rare. He needs a higher profile. But could be worth watching as the possible next Tory PM should they lose office in 2024.

With a majority of under 7500, and current projected swings, he is likely to be back at his old job.
    He’ll be re-elected. The East Midlands is different. You know that!

He isn't in the East Midlands. The "Red Wall" polling this week looks brutal for him. There may be some personal vote, but that rarely makes much difference and UNS would have him gone on an 8% swing, which would be significant swingback from current polling.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I agree that this is not an election winning issue. But don't you understand that there are things which are more important than that - even in politics. Women's rights matter. The rights of women prisoners not to be locked up with male rapists matter, even if not a single vote is changed. When Baroness Hayter makes the comparison with how Labour treated anti-semitism in its ranks, Labour supporters really ought to listen. Because a party where this happens repeatedly is one which, regardless of its poll leads, has a rottenness at its heart.

Ethical behaviour matters regardless of its vote winning capacity. Otherwise you are no better than those who think Boris should be PM regardless of his total lack of a moral compass because he gets votes.

Your dismissal of those who are worried about the way womens understandable concerns are being dismissed rather than being engaged with - something which both Labour and the SNP were forced to do this week - is, bluntly, why misogyny survives and spreads.

I do not discuss this issue to make political points in favour of the Tories. I am no supporter. Very far from it. But because women's rights and position in society matter to me a very great deal - and have done for a very long time - as my posts and headers in the years I have been on this forum, long before you arrived, show.

I didn't dismiss anything, I just said this isn't an election winning issue and isn't a big deal to most people, Vance was implying Nicola was in big trouble about it and I just don't agree.

Vance comes on here to score political points for the Tories, it is literally all they do. I have a lot more time for your posts on this even if I don't consider it a big issue for me personally - so please take this as confirmation that I am not dismissing you
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,866
    Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Yeah….nothing to see here…move along…

This is the second UN Rapporteur to intervene in the Scottish gender debate - the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture follows the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women and Girls. It’s getting embarrassing for Sturgeon.

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1619618101464797189

I expect you’d be equally dismissive if the comments were about a Tory policy…
    It's not that, it's just that I know you come on here to have these debates to score political points when the Tories are doing badly, it's not about any kind of conviction.

As I said to you many times, if you want to go down this road you will lose. We saw this in Oz.
    I agree that this is not an election winning issue. But don't you understand that there are things which are more important than that - even in politics. Women's rights matter. The rights of women prisoners not to be locked up with male rapists matter, even if not a single vote is changed. When Baroness Hayter makes the comparison with how Labour treated anti-semitism in its ranks, Labour supporters really ought to listen. Because a party where this happens repeatedly is one which, regardless of its poll leads, has a rottenness at its heart.

Ethical behaviour matters regardless of its vote winning capacity. Otherwise you are no better than those who think Boris should be PM regardless of his total lack of a moral compass because he gets votes.

Your dismissal of those who are worried about the way womens understandable concerns are being dismissed rather than being engaged with - something which both Labour and the SNP were forced to do this week - is, bluntly, why misogyny survives and spreads.

I do not discuss this issue to make political points in favour of the Tories. I am no supporter. Very far
    from it. But because women's rights and position in society matter to me a very great deal - and have done for a very long time - as my posts and headers in the years I have been on this forum, long before you arrived, show.
    Some people just can’t do critical thinking.

You’re either Progressive or far right.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour’s women problem:

Baroness Hayter said it was easier for Labour peers to speak out because they do not have a constituency party to answer to. She said Labour MPs were often worried about the abuse they and, particularly, their staff, would be subjected to.

“I’m afraid I see this as being a bit like antisemitism when it was first called out in the party and people were saying it was all being exaggerated and overblown and with this issue it is the same thing,” she said. “They are trying to squash us and stop us from raising it. Jewish groups were told to be quiet about antisemitism and now women are being told to shut up too. But this is misogyny. This is men telling women to get back in their box.”

Er yes - as I have been pointing out on here since September 2021 - https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/09/20/one-current-leader-and-one-future-one/.

It will be interesting to see whether Yvette Cooper or David Blunkett face the same abuse. Her sensible comments this week are in direct contradiction of what some of her Shadow Cabinet colleagues have been saying. As for Starmer he is behaving like Corbyn on this in his refusal to stand up for women MPs bullied for speaking up about women's rights or to criticise or discipline those doing the bullying. Weak and disgraceful. But being so will not stop him becoming PM. It will just mean we get another variety of poor leadership.
    I think the SNP have done Labour a huge political
    favour on this. Cooper got it right … and she is still in a job. Draw your own conclusions. Totally
    agree on Starmer’s weakness. It’s very disappointing.

Yes, I think Labour will do rather well in Scotland.
    Sturgeon misread the national mood on this issue.
    Marvellous to have a reader of the Scottish national mood available, and for free!
    Given your expertise on the matter, how do you think SLab voting more strongly for the GRA reform bill than the SNP will play in in a culture war GE?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,752
    The initial press release Memphis Police posted read that Tyre Nichols “complained of having a shortness of breath”...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1619133153515536384
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349

I think Michael Gove has just changed the narrative and made Rishi's life difficult.

Michael Gove: We are to blame on Grenfell

Housing secretary says ‘faulty and ambiguous’ government guidance allowed the scandal to happen

Michael Gove raised his son and daughter minutes from Grenfell Tower. Five days after the fire that destroyed the west London high rise, he returned, walking around its blackened husk. The remains of some of the 72 people who were killed, 18 of them children, were still inside. “It did have a profound impact on me,” the housing secretary says.

More than five years on, with more than four million people affected by the fallout and almost 700,000 residents still living in fire-risk flats all over Britain, he feels that weight. On the window sill in his Westminster office stands a framed photo of a Grenfell billboard: “Never forget.” After years of dithering, buck-passing and government delays, Gove is clamping down on the companies that profited from unsafe homes.

Sitting in front of that photo, he makes a remarkable admission: “faulty and ambiguous” government guidance allowed the scandal to happen. Never before has a minister acknowledged this.

Evidence to the Grenfell inquiry has shown that official guidance was widely seen to allow highly flammable cladding on tall buildings. Does Gove now accept that the rules were wrong? “Yes,” he answers. “There was a system of regulation that was faulty. The government did not think hard enough, or police effectively enough, the whole system of building safety. Undoubtedly.”

Five minders sit around the table. One shoots him a look, but he ploughs on: “I believe that [the guidance] was so faulty and ambiguous that it allowed unscrupulous people to exploit a broken system in a way that led to tragedy.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/michael-gove-we-are-to-blame-on-grenfell-5khwd60wk

It's one of the reasons I have a lot of time for Gove. He can think, analyse and accept the obvious conclusions, even if they are difficult. Very few in politics like that.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Labour 30 points ahead?

A good friend of mine is a trans woman finally now getting hormone therapy after saving enough cash to go private and thus bypass the NHS endless wait list. My eldest is non-binary, dated several trans men and is currently in a thouple. And I'm married to a wife who was sexually assaulted by a former boyfriend, with an 11 year old daughter.

So I have a direct personal interest in trans rights, gender rights, women's rights. But the idea that I am going to get het up by either of the extremes, then gaslit by the Tories is laughable. Its a non-issue politically. The more they try and make it an issue, the stupider they look.
    Everyday's a schoolday! I've never heard of the term thouple or throuple before. In my day it was called a threesome, so I'm told....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

This is the second UN Rapporteur to intervene in the Scottish gender debate - the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture follows the UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women and Girls. It’s getting embarrassing for Sturgeon.

It's not that, it's just that I know you come on here to have these debates to score political points when the Tories are doing badly, it's not about any kind of conviction.

As I said to you many times, if you want to go down this road you will lose. We saw this in Oz.

I do not discuss this issue to make political points in favour of the Tories. I am no supporter. Very far
    from it. But because women's rights and position in society matter to me a very great deal - and have done for a very long time - as my posts and headers in the years I have been on this forum, long before you arrived, show.

Now you're putting words in my mouth...this debate is exhausting, I am checking out of it
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Labour 30 points ahead?

Dismissing legitimate concerns as “culture war” is what got Sturgeon into the mess she’s in. Or do you support men competing in women’s sports and sending male rapists with prison onset gender dysphoria to women’s prisons?
    "Mess", I am sorry but deep down you know this will change absolutely nothing for her. I know you are desperate for her to do badly but let's be honest, she's going to win a majority of Scottish seats next time around and you know it
    Dodging the question - do you support men competing in women’s sports and sending male rapists with prison onset gender dysphoria to women’s prisons?
    If a trans person wants to compete in men's chess then I don't see the problem no
    Don't be an utter twit. How about a trans identified male competing in female rugby, boxing, athletics, weightlifting, swimming, tennis?

Or does fairness in sport no longer matter?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Sean_F said:

Labour’s women problem:

Presumably, Lady Hayter and Catherine Bennett now join Rosie Duffield and JK Rowling as “far right sympathisers.”
    Waging a culture war on behalf of the Tories…..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford: BREAKING:

Rishi Sunak has sacked Nadhim Zahawi for breaching the ministerial code

He had no choice really, the man was clearly dodgy as hell and must have concealed a bunch of relevant facts from him.

But it'll only make the Borisite agitators a larger group, though unified, as the number of MPs unhappy with Rishi increases.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak has no political ability whatsoever.

This was obvious over a week ago, why did he sit on it?

I don't know. Maybe he feels the need to string each scandal out for as long as possible to slow the press pack down and reduce the total number of scandals?
    Your theory has some merit. Whilst keeping Zahawi meant more headlines about Zahawi, it perhaps shielded Raab, who has been under attack for alleged bullying.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

- “… what does it say about the Tory Party that the top four in the next leadership contest could be Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Kemi Badenoch, and Simon Clarke?

That the organisation is heading for the dustbin of history. Good riddance.

And Sturgeon’s successor is……..
    Will Macbeth make it or will he go down with Imelda
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Foxy said:

Aaron Bell is very definitely on the Tory right but is also smart, sane, grounded, presentable and capable. That combination is incredibly rare. He needs a higher profile. But could be worth watching as the possible next Tory PM should they lose office in 2024.

With a majority of under 7500, and current projected swings, he is likely to be back at his old job.

Since when was Stoke in the East Midlands?

If he keeps his seat I would be delighted but VERY surprised.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I do not discuss this issue to make political points in favour of the Tories. I am no supporter. Very far from it. But because women's rights and position in society matter to me a very great deal - and have done for a very long time - as my posts and headers in the years I have been on this forum, long before you arrived, show.

I didn't dismiss anything, I just said this isn't an election winning issue and isn't a big deal to most people, Vance was implying Nicola was in big trouble about it and I just don't agree.

Vance comes on here to score political points for the Tories, it is literally all they do. I have a lot more time for your posts on this even if I don't consider it a big issue for me personally - so please take this as confirmation that I am not dismissing you
    Thanks.

Hope you are OK health wise.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,082
    Now Sunak needs to explain why he kept Braverman after breaking the ministerial code...

Zahawi was the first domino
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,264

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Now you're putting words in my mouth...this debate is exhausting, I am checking out of it
    Wise. I have pretty much done the same. I’m comfortable with my views on it. I’m not likely to change without major evidence to the contrary. I don’t think it will change a GE. To most people it is not relevant.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Zahawi was clearly delusional if once the HMRC information was handed to the ethics advisor he didn’t think it was over and didn’t resign days ago .

Now the questions will be how much did Sunak know when he appointed him as Chairman . Sunak looks weak regardless of the sacking .

The final nail in a fairly well sealed coffin was the comment by the head of HMRC that they don't fine people for honest mistakes. That really should have been an end of this.
  • Options

Labour 30 points ahead?

Dismissing legitimate concerns as “culture war” is what got Sturgeon into the mess she’s in. Or do you support men competing in women’s sports and sending male rapists with prison onset gender dysphoria to women’s prisons?
    "Mess", I am sorry but deep down you know this will change absolutely nothing for her. I know you are desperate for her to do badly but let's be honest, she's going to win a majority of Scottish seats next time around and you know it
    Dodging the question - do you support men competing in women’s sports and sending male rapists with prison onset gender dysphoria to women’s prisons?
    If a trans person wants to compete in men's chess then I don't see the problem no
    they need to piss or get off the pot , they cannot have their cake and eat it. All men should be banned from women's sports and rapists should be in men's jails, anyone thinking different is warped.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

Labour 30 points ahead?

I think there are a lot of opportunities for the political right in the 'culture wars' issue, and not in a particularly positive way. The reason why I think this is because I think people generally have very little awareness of 'woke' issues. If you look at this issue with the 'trans rapist' in Scotland last week, it wasn't too long before they just became a scumbag in the wider political discourse who has no rights; this U-turn reveals that actually, the commitment towards 'trans rights' is quite superficial, even amongst the most ardent progressives. I don't think the 'culture war' is over, I just think that conservatives haven't yet found a politically effective response to it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

He isn't in the East Midlands. The "Red Wall" polling this week looks brutal for him. There may be some personal vote, but that rarely makes much difference and UNS would have him gone on an 8% swing, which would be significant swingback from current polling.
    When I say East Midlands, I mean not the West Midlands - which is my problem, not yours! I may well be wrong, but I think that the Tories are going to do a lot better in smaller, ex-industrial towns in Leicestershire, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire than any of the polling currently indicates. I would expect most of their MPs with 5,000+ majorities to hang on - unless they are egregiously ridiculous nd/or unpleasant, like Gullis and Anderson.

• Options
    Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Wise. I have pretty much done the same. I’m comfortable with my views on it. I’m not likely to change without major evidence to the contrary. I don’t think it will change a GE. To most people it is not relevant.
    Heya Taz, hope you are keeping well mate
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560
    edited January 2023
    I've just read Sunak's letter to Zahawi. It's fairly astonishing and, I think, poorly judged. In summary:

1. You're sacked because you blatantly broke the Ministerial Code.

2. Despite this, everything about you is absolutely wonderful and you're the best.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advice-from-the-independent-adviser-on-ministers-interests-january-2023/letter-from-the-prime-minister-to-the-rt-hon-nadhim-zahawi-29-january-2023
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks.

Best I've been for many a long day, thanks. Looking forward to light in the evenings.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    If the Tories lose the next general election then I expect Steve Barclay to succeed Sunak as Tory leader not any of the above. Clarke might lose his seat.

However Jacob Rees Mogg would be far less likely to destroy the Tories than Truss was. For starters the right love the Mogg as the left loved Corbyn and RefUK voters would return to the Tories with Mogg even if swing voters wouldn't.

Truss turned off swing voters and the right in the end
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1619628755542237184

Extraordinarily brutal sacking of Nadhim Zahawi. Is this the moment that Rishi Sunak found the political core that he needs to take the Tory party into the next general election?

What is happening at the Telegraph? Brutal? He sat on it for a week and sent a letter saying how good he thinks Zahawi is, the Telegraph has lost it
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Right decision for Sunak to remove Zahawi
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour’s women problem:

favour on this. Cooper got it right … and she is still in a job. Draw your own conclusions. Totally

Labour are shite in Scotland at least. Not even up to donkey standards, more likely Imelda will go either to UN or jail and SNP can once more become a real independence party rather than a clique of weirdos , bumwarmers and no-users.
  • Options

Labour 30 points ahead?

I think the issue works well in America because it's a much more religious and puritanical society but also much more sex obsessed. The right wing is quite well linked across the Anglophone world thanks to the global donor class/HF and PE money, think tanks and Rupert Murdoch. So we tend to get a lot of their American culture war tactics imported here. But it didn't work in Australia and I don't think it will work here. It's the kind of thing that we don't like talking about.
    If it’s an “American right wing” import, why are so many of the critics of TWAW left wing lesbians like Julie Bindel or Joanna Cherry, KC, MP, SNP?

Or former Labour supporters like JK Rowling.

Calling it “Tory Culture War” is an attempt to shut down debate. Stop Press - it’s not working.

“Every person who calls a rapist for what he is – a man – makes it easier for the rest of us to speak truth to power and not allow for fantasy and mendacity to pollute issues of equality.”

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy/status/1619606221304090624

• Options

BREAKING:

Rishi Sunak in letter to Nadhim Zahawi:

'It is clear that there has been a serious breach of the Ministerial Code

'As a result, I have informed you of my decision to remove you from your position in HM Government'

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1619621274644267011

Fuck right off. This looks off the scale weak. HE ALREADY KNEW he had lied and broken the code and backed him anyway. To now suddenly say "serious breach, off you go" makes Sunak look utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Now Sunak needs to explain why he kept Braverman after breaking the ministerial code...

Zahawi was the first domino

Braveman was sacked, returned to the back benches and everything. The fact that her arse barely touched the bench before she was summoned again is not her fault. Interesting judgment from the summoner though.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,376
    HYUFD said:

If the Tories lose the next general election then I expect Steve Barclay to succeed Sunak as Tory leader not any of the above. Clarke might lose his seat.

However Jacob Rees Mogg would be far less likely to destroy the Tories than Truss was. For starters the right love the Mogg as the left loved Corbyn and RefUK voters would return to the Tories with Mogg even if swing voters wouldn't.

Truss might have done pretty well as a leader of the opposition because she wouldn't have had the opportunity to create a run on the pound and a debt crisis.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of Julie Bindel, but I lean towards her view in this case.
  • Options

I've just read Sunak's letter to Zahawi. It's fairly astonishing and, I think, poorly judged. In summary:

2. Despite this, everything about you is absolutely wonderful and you're the best.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/advice-from-the-independent-adviser-on-ministers-interests-january-2023/letter-from-the-prime-minister-to-the-rt-hon-nadhim-zahawi-29-january-2023

It also makes a third point:

3. Please don't plot against me from the backbenches.

That also explains point 2. But I agree, it reads pretty oddly.
  • Options
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-i-sacked-nadhim-zahawi/

Rishi has rushed to the Tory herald to explain why he is in fact not weak and weird
  • Options

BREAKING:

'As a result, I have informed you of my decision to remove you from your position in HM Government'

Toughened up the language from the usual 'asked for your resignation'.

How on earth will the government get by without the vital input of a party chair with no real role?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,728
    edited January 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Don't be an utter twit. How about a trans identified male competing in female rugby, boxing, athletics, weightlifting, swimming, tennis?

Or does fairness in sport no longer matter?
    Clearly, men who have transitioned to women should not be allowed to compete with women in sports that have separate gender classes.

Perhaps there should be separate classes for those trans women and trans men, e.g. in the paralympics maybe?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    edited January 2023

Labour 30 points ahead?

Excellent post Rochdale.

How are you keeping friend?
    "I'm not your friend, guy!"
    "I'm not your guy, buddy!"
    "I'm not your buddy, friend!"

I'm gooooood. Et tu?
  • Options

“Not valid”….Never Happens:

New trans prisoner storm looms for Nicola Sturgeon over transfer of violent stalker Tiffany Scott

Troubled Scott - formerly Andrew Burns - has been repeatedly refused a switch to women's jail until now.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/new-trans-prisoner-storm-looms-29069314

It was also leaked that SPS did not sanction sending Graham to Corton Vale, it was ordered to by Scottish Government , shredders will be on full power this weekend making sure all evidence lost as usual and Sturgeon will not recall it.
  • Options

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Heya Taz, hope you are keeping well mate
    Very thanks, hope you are too Sir.

• Options

There's a 4th implied point too: Breaking the Ministerial Code is a sacking offence - apart from for Braverman obvs.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

One inevitability of the way this issue is discussed is that these self same talking points that you choose to campaign on are exactly the same as the ones that the right (especially in the US, but here too) are using as wedge issues in an explicitly anti-trans campaign.

It’s therefore almost inevitable that when someone like you comes along bringing up the same talking points, the default assumption is that you’re are taking sides with bigots and fascists. Unless you put the work in to make it clear that it’s not the case, that’s the impression people are going to walk away with.

Is this fair? No, obviously not. But that’s politics for you.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Labour 30 points ahead?

The two are not mutually exclusive. Successful leaders at elections still get
    into unnecessary messes over policy and behaviour. Even people inclined to extreme predictions like leon haven't been acting like Sturgeon is in imminent danger from this, so your rebutting a prediction rarely made.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,512
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour’s women problem:

Yes.

Starmer will quietly adopt the Extreme Ultra Rightwing Homophobic Misogynistic Racist TERF position on this - that violent sex offenders can’t self ID their way into women’s prisons.

The position that Sturgeon seems to be implementing…
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Labour 30 points ahead?

I think the issue works well in America because it's a much more religious and puritanical society but also much more sex obsessed. The right wing is quite well linked across the Anglophone world thanks to the global donor class/HF and PE money, think tanks and Rupert Murdoch. So we tend to get a lot of their American culture war tactics imported here. But it didn't work in Australia and I don't think it will work here. It's the kind of thing that we don't like talking about.
    If it’s an “American right wing” import, why are so many of the critics of TWAW left wing lesbians like Julie Bindel or Joanna Cherry, KC, MP, SNP?

Calling it “Tory Culture War” is an attempt to shut down debate. Stop Press - it’s not working.

“Every person who calls a rapist for what he is – a man – makes it easier for the rest of us to speak truth to power and not allow for fantasy and mendacity to pollute issues of equality.”

Germaine Greer wrote about this issue in her book The Whole Woman more than twenty years ago. That book inspired my approach to fatherhood and it shows there was left wing feminist opposition to "Trans Women Are Women" while the religious right was still fighting against gay marriage. (Or whatever it was that came before gay marriage. It was a long time ago.)
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Thanks.

Best I've been for many a long day, thanks. Looking forward to light in the evenings.
    Me too. Delighted to see my spring bulbs making an appearance once again.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Also note it is all men on here who glibly dismiss it , say it does not matter , of no concern , etc.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-i-sacked-nadhim-zahawi/

Rishi has rushed to the Tory herald to explain why he is in fact not weak and weird

No - that’s a reprint of the dismissal letter, not a bespoke piece.
  • Options

Zahawi's tangles with HMRC started in April 2021 but he did not register them until July 2022 - after being appointed Chancellor

He did not tell Whitehall officials he had paid a penalty, meaning neither Truss nor Sunak knew when reappointing him

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1619630175913906177

Looking forward to Starmer condemning Sunak for following due process….
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Thanks.

Me too. Delighted to see my spring bulbs making an appearance once again.
    I so love hearing about your gardening :)
  • Options

Labour 30 points ahead?

Everyday's a schoolday! I've never heard of the term thouple or throuple before. In my day it was called a threesome, so I'm told....
    I believe there is a difference. A threesome is a couple inviting someone in for the occasional sexytime. See Chef's Simultaneous Lovin' song for reference.

The (insert non-binary alternative to boy whatever that is) has had a girlfriend for 7 months now, they're well into each other, and now they have mutually added a 3rd member of the relationship with all having access to each other's members.

I don't understand it. But then again I have grey hair so I'm not supposed to...
  • Options

There's a 4th implied point too: Breaking the Ministerial Code is a sacking offence - apart from for Braverman obvs.
    Zahawi should have quit, then Sunak could have reappointed him saying hed taken responsibility.
  • Options

BREAKING:

Fuck right off. This looks off the scale weak. HE ALREADY KNEW he had lied and broken the code and backed him anyway. To now suddenly say "serious breach, off you go" makes Sunak look utterly ridiculous.
    Once a reputation or impression sticks it is hard to shake it off. I suspect this ‘weak’ thing will be a millstone around his neck as it seems to be sticking
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Truss might have done pretty well as a leader of the opposition because she wouldn't have had the opportunity to create a run on the pound and a debt crisis.
    Yes. She got a reasonable pollig bounce immediately on becoming PM and before she'd had a chance to implement any policies.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Very smug and the way you address Carlotta says it all, pig ignorant misogynist by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    @LadPolitics: Let's keep these to weekdays please, Rishi.

Anyway, Michael Gove is your early favourite to replace Nadhim Zahawi… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1619632224009326592
  • Options
    There is a bizarre overlap with people who opposed to gay/lesbian rights and those now against trans rights.

I am sure there are exceptions - especially here - but the people with the loudest voices have a very dodgy history on progressive causes and I question if they can be trusted.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Very smug and the way you address Carlotta says it all, pig ignorant misogynist by the sounds of it.

Hey malc thanks for the compliment, how are you today?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,018
    I bet Stupidly feels like a fucking mug. He went on Sophy Ridge last week and got his ringpiece gaped trying to defend Zahawi. All for nothing.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Vance comes on here to score political points for the Tories, it is literally all they do.
    You are plainly very selective in reading my posts….but do carry on mansplaining….

It’s not my fault the Tories are the only political party unambiguously on the same side of the argument as JK Rowling, Rosie Duffield and Joanna Cherry.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Zahawi should have quit, then Sunak could have reappointed him saying hed taken responsibility.
    He could be back in cabinet by lunchtime...
  • Options
    Sunak is obviously hoping that his following of what he will claim is "due process" with Zahawi will demonstrate he is a fair but firm PM. However, that narrative only works when you have the benefit of the doubt. The Tories squandered that long ago with the electorate.
  • Options
    Taz said:

BREAKING:

Once a reputation or impression sticks it is hard to shake it off. I suspect this ‘weak’ thing will be a millstone around his neck as it seems to be sticking
    He is literally Ed Milliband.

Weak and a bit weird, I am sure in focus groups his inability to put petrol into his car or use a debit card comes up repeatedly.

Starmer may be many things but he at least comes across vaguely like a human being who has lived in the real world. Sunak does not.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Also note it is all men on here who glibly dismiss it , say it does not matter , of no concern , etc.
    Welcome to the fold of Tory rampers, Malc!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    I know everyone thinks that Sunak is weak for waiting to sack Zahawi but maybe he’s actually been clever for internal party political reasons. He can’t be accused by his Tory enemies of ditching a big party beast to save his own skin as he can point to the fact that he let a process happen and unfortunately that process found that Zahawi had to go.

Zahawi is an absolute knob for not stepping down earlier but the public damage was already done to the tories so Sunak waiting for his ethics chap to ok the axe means that internal damage is reduced.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

Labour 30 points ahead?

The efforts to politicise it for party political purposes is entirely an American culture wars import. There is a legitimate discussion to be had about the issues thrown up by trans rights, just as there is a legitimate discussion to be had about regional bus services or the cost of eggs - issues of far greater importance to most people.
    Fwiw personally I have no strong opinions on this issue - it is clearly a complex one that requires sensitive and nuanced policies to navigate the competing rights of different groups. Loudly attacking the other side or trying to weaponise the issue to play "gotcha" party politics with it is unhelpful.
  • Options

That reminds of his own resignation letter to Boris. A lot of the quitters did the 'I am proud of our work in X and your gov is wonderful but most sadly resign' thing, making it hard to tell why they were quitting. It made the few which didn't talk themselves or Boris up when quitting stand out.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,512
    Nigelb said:

The initial press release Memphis Police posted read that Tyre Nichols “complained of having a shortness of breath”...

I’m impressed that a man, being beaten to death by a street gang had the ability to express anything.

Did you see the bit about the officers were on a Speschul Unit? Which has just been disbanded… anyone want to bet that they were getting lots of results, no supervision, no questions asked…. And lots of complaints and legal challenges?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Retires battered and bruised after a good skelping
  • Options

You are plainly very selective in reading my posts….but do carry on mansplaining….

It’s not my fault the Tories are the only political party unambiguously on the same side of the argument as JK Rowling, Rosie Duffield and Joanna Cherry.

But it isn't though and you've ironically just confirmed my point that you are just here to big up the Tories. The Tories themselves argue about where they stand on this.

I know you are arguing in bad faith because Yvette Cooper explained the Labour policy just two days ago, oddly you've never posted or commented on that, I wonder why?

Now I am leaving this issue.
  • Options
    boulay said:

I know everyone thinks that Sunak is weak for waiting to sack Zahawi but maybe he’s actually been clever for internal party political reasons. He can’t be accused by his Tory enemies of ditching a big party beast to save his own skin as he can point to the fact that he let a process happen and unfortunately that process found that Zahawi had to go.

Zahawi is an absolute knob for not stepping down earlier but the public damage was already done to the tories so Sunak waiting for his ethics chap to ok the axe means that internal damage is reduced.

But Braverman...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited January 2023

There is a bizarre overlap with people who opposed to gay/lesbian rights and those now against trans rights.

I am sure there are exceptions - especially here - but the people with the loudest voices have a very dodgy history on progressive causes and I question if they can be trusted.

They were getting into this in the LRB letters page the other month when one columnist essentially said that if you share any opinions with anyone in the far right you were complicit. Which certainly made me reassess my opposition to the death penalty given Enoch Powell was similarly inclined.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Its not a non issue, unless you think the Tories can invent and direct all the concerns various non Tories have loudly raised over it. I think that is an over dismissive approach.

Are there legitimate concerns many people have raised non politically? I say yes.

Are the Tories keen to push this issue and focus on extremes? I also say yes.

The tories do see this as a useful campaigning plank. That doesn't make their raising it gaslighting, since plenty of others also see issues of concern. It simply means the tories are likely to over focus on it as they have few other things on which to focus.

Most people are not on the extremes of this issue. That's why the tories see political capital in it because their position is for once also not in the extreme. That some people get so angry at objectors and don't want it talked about is the more extreme position. Others like yourself are more indifferent to the extremes.

Do they make too much of it sometimes?They sure do. Is that because of politics? In part, yes. Does that mean there is nothing at all to this issue? No.
    We may be at cross-purposes about what we define as "non-issues".

If Labour were running on a policy platform of "let rapists identify as women and then hunt down your daughters" then perhaps the Tories would have something to go after.

As it is, we have a very vague "fear the lady cock" message with no specific policy or societal change or even agreement about who the fear is supposed to be about.

Your average voter may hold a niggling doubt on the issue. But they have very specific grievances on the cost of living, that public services are broken, that the government is openly stealing their money etc etc.

Its a "non-issue politically" because the number of votes it will sway is close to zero.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    kle4 said:

Indeed.

I am expecting Johnson to say "that's why I had to resign..." in response to the Parliamentary Privileges Committee when/if it ever passes judgement on him, "...but I've taken responsibility and am now ready to return."
  • Options

Rishi Sunak has no political ability whatsoever.

This was obvious over a week ago, why did he sit on it?

I don't know. Maybe he feels the need to string each scandal out for as long as possible to slow the press pack down and reduce the total number of scandals?
    Your theory has some merit. Whilst keeping Zahawi meant more headlines about Zahawi, it perhaps shielded Raab, who has been under attack for alleged bullying.
    Raab may yet be safe. Being a difficult person who is bloody awful to work with is survivable so long as he didn't cross lines into outright bullying of people, which is tricky to prove.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour’s women problem:

Marvellous to have a reader of the Scottish national mood available, and for free!
    Given your expertise on the matter, how do you think SLab voting more strongly for the GRA reform bill than the SNP will play in in a culture war GE?
    Politics is frequently unfair. Labour were even more in favour of joining the ERM than the Tories, but the latter still took the blame.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

One inevitability of the way this issue is discussed is that these self same talking points that you choose to campaign on are exactly the same as the ones that the right (especially in the US, but here too) are using as wedge issues in an explicitly anti-trans campaign.

It’s therefore almost inevitable that when someone like you comes along bringing up the same talking points, the default assumption is that you’re are taking sides with bigots and fascists. Unless you put the work in to make it clear that it’s not the case, that’s the impression people are going to walk away with.

Eh, where do you get cyclefree is taking sides with bigots and fascists, only a fantasist could come to that conclusion.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,989

Labour 30 points ahead?

I believe there is a difference. A threesome is a couple inviting someone in for the occasional sexytime. See Chef's Simultaneous Lovin' song for reference.

The (insert non-binary alternative to boy whatever that is) has had a girlfriend for 7 months now, they're well into each other, and now they have mutually added a 3rd member of the relationship with all having access to each other's members.

I don't understand it. But then again I have grey hair so I'm not supposed to...
    I believe Damon Albarn took us through it some years ago:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiAifKvwOz8AhWDScAKHYWTAN0Q3yx6BAgaEAI&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDswiT87oo8&usg=AOvVaw2VqBxJlDfGzK53NVLX-VRz
  • Options
    boulay said:

Externally it just shows how weak Sunak is and how crooked the Tories are.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Its not a non issue, unless you think the Tories can invent and direct all the concerns various non Tories have loudly raised over it. I think that is an over dismissive approach.

Are there legitimate concerns many people have raised non politically? I say yes.

The tories do see this as a useful campaigning plank. That doesn't make their raising it gaslighting, since plenty of others also see issues of concern. It simply means the tories are likely to over focus on it as they have few other things on which to focus.

Most people are not on the extremes of this issue. That's why the tories see political capital in it because their position is for once also not in the extreme. That some people get so angry at objectors and don't want it talked about is the more extreme position. Others like yourself are more indifferent to the extremes.

Do they make too much of it sometimes?They sure do. Is that because of politics? In part, yes. Does that mean there is nothing at all to this issue? No.

If Labour were running on a policy platform of "let rapists identify as women and then hunt down your daughters" then perhaps the Tories would have something to go after.

As it is, we have a very vague "fear the lady cock" message with no specific policy or societal change or even agreement about who the fear is supposed to be about.

Your average voter may hold a niggling doubt on the issue. But they have very specific grievances on the cost of living, that public services are broken, that the government is openly stealing their money etc etc.

Its a "non-issue politically" because the number of votes it will sway is close to zero.
    You seem to find the expression "lady cock" funnier than it actually is. Women should be protected from being raped irrespective of the number of votes in it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Good summary. The trans issue is a very serious one but not one that directly affects many voters or that will sway many votes.
  • Options

This just isn't true. There's so much opposition to the trans absolutism from the left-wing feminists who strongly supported gay rights that the trans absolutists cane up with their own insulting label for those people, TERFs, Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists.

How many right-wing bigots are radical feminists?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Phil said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

Eh, where do you get cyclefree is taking sides with bigots and fascists, only a fantasist could come to that conclusion.
    Do you need a lesson in reading comprehension malc?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

They were getting into this in the LRB letters page the other month when one columnist essentially said that if you share any opinions with anyone in the far right you were complicit. Which certainly made me reassess my opposition to the death penalty given Enoch Powell was similarly inclined.
    It seems to me that many of those with the loudest voices against self I/D are themselves on the left.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009
    Alistair Meeks is once again right here - the reason for the second half of the letter is to avoid plotting which would have been easily solved by withdrawing the whip.

Which would be completely justifiable because you can’t have a rules for the party candidates and another one for actual MPs. And no candidate would get past an investigation that discovered significant tax issues
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited January 2023

People seem to be posting a Labour policy which doesn't exist, so I question whether they are really here to argue about progressing this issue or just to try and score points.

Labour's policy has literally been the same for over a year. Men have penises, women have vaginas. That is sex. But gender is not the same as sex - and we should treat people in that position with kindness and respect and help them where we can. Just as we help disabled people, or people in poverty (well, we used to).

I've just had it with people that don't actually care pretending they do. These same people would have been arguing against gay marriage if it was worth a few points in the polls.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Hey malc thanks for the compliment, how are you today?
    As ever I am brilliant, could not be better.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

kle4 said:

Labour 30 points ahead?

You seem to find the expression "lady cock" funnier than it actually is. Women should be protected from being raped irrespective of the number of votes in it.
    If that mattered to the Tories they wouldn't have presided over a collapse in rape convictions or cuts to funding for women's refuges.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I’m impressed that a man, being beaten to death by a street gang had the ability to express anything.

Did you see the bit about the officers were on a Speschul Unit? Which has just been disbanded… anyone want to bet that they were getting lots of results, no supervision, no questions asked…. And lots of complaints and legal challenges?
    The obvious question to ask is: how many people had they done this to previously? Because it seems from the reporting as if they were well practised at it.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Labour 30 points ahead?

The efforts to politicise it for party political purposes is entirely an American culture wars import. There is a legitimate discussion to be had about the issues thrown up by trans rights, just as there is a legitimate discussion to be had about regional bus services or the cost of eggs - issues of far greater importance to most people.
    Fwiw personally I have no strong opinions on this issue - it is clearly a complex one that requires sensitive and nuanced policies to navigate the competing rights of different groups. Loudly attacking the other side or trying to weaponise the issue to play "gotcha" party politics with it is unhelpful.
    Yes - but the TRA started off with “no debate” and campaigns to have (predominantly women) sacked from their jobs for daring to challenge them. In the HoC Jack was very careful to avoid any of the alleged “culture war” we are repeatedly told the Tories indulge in and it was the SNP who rushed out their “attack on democracy” to play a political football with the issue. Sturgeon is still at it:

Delighted to announce that after a surprise visit to the real world, where she reluctantly admitted a hulking great rapist doesn't become a woman by putting on a wig, our illustrious leader has made it safely home to You're All Just Bigots territory.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1619358295852208129

Reflecting more on why I find it disturbing that Sturgeon is trying to tar opponents of her self-ID reforms as racist: it is weaponising claims of racism to try and shut down democratic debate. It’s a concerning development.

https://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/1619325438106677248

For the hard of thinking the Tory Culture warriors quoted above are a former Labour supporter/donor and a leader writer for the Observer.
  • Options
    @REWearmouth: When asked whether Zahawi should stand down as an MP, Labour’s Bridget Phillipson says it’s for him to decide but h… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1619635645596717063
This discussion has been closed.