Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden now a 63% chance of being the WH2024 nominee – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited January 2023 in General
imageBiden now a 63% chance of being the WH2024 nominee – politicalbetting.com

As can be seen from the WH2024 chart Joe Biden is even more favoured by punters to be the nominee for the Democrats at the next presidential election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    edited January 2023
    Sleepy Joe certainly looks as if he is enjoying the job. Why would he not stand?

And first!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,565
    Fun fact:
    @SpeakerPelosi
    won nine consecutive leadership elections—on the first ballot.

https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1611097476328562689?s=20&t=mVaXDjzIyynsIx19NoUNag
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Weekly deaths update:

https://tinyurl.com/5n83duua

Over 2,000 non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average in the week ending 23 December. Sadly, cold weather kills. This is around the same level of excess deaths seen during the Beast from the East in February/March 2018.

Week-ending | 5-year average | COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average

07-Oct-22 | 9,835 | 400 | 10,807 | 972
    14-Oct-22 | 10,091 | 565 | 11,134 | 1,043
    21-Oct-22 | 10,224 | 687 | 11,251 | 1,027
    28-Oct-22 | 10,013 | 651 | 10,594 | 581
    04-Nov-22 | 10,278 | 650 | 11,145 | 867
    11-Nov-22 | 10,743 | 518 | 11,020 | 277
    18-Nov-22 | 10,786 | 423 | 11,156 | 370
    25-Nov-22 | 10,705 | 348 | 11,135 | 430
    02-Dec-22 | 10,725 | 317 | 10,990 | 265
    09-Dec-22 | 11,007 | 326 | 11,368 | 361
    16-Dec-22 | 11,203 | 390 | 11,999 | 796
    23-Dec-22 | 12,037 | 429 | 14,101 | 2,064
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Weekly deaths update:

https://tinyurl.com/5n83duua

Over 2,000 non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average in the week ending 23 December. Sadly, cold weather kills. This is around the same level of excess deaths seen during the Beast from the East in February/March 2018.

Week-ending | 5-year average | COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths | non-COVID deaths in excess of the 5-year average

07-Oct-22 | 9,835 | 400 | 10,807 | 972
    14-Oct-22 | 10,091 | 565 | 11,134 | 1,043
    21-Oct-22 | 10,224 | 687 | 11,251 | 1,027
    28-Oct-22 | 10,013 | 651 | 10,594 | 581
    04-Nov-22 | 10,278 | 650 | 11,145 | 867
    11-Nov-22 | 10,743 | 518 | 11,020 | 277
    18-Nov-22 | 10,786 | 423 | 11,156 | 370
    25-Nov-22 | 10,705 | 348 | 11,135 | 430
    02-Dec-22 | 10,725 | 317 | 10,990 | 265
    09-Dec-22 | 11,007 | 326 | 11,368 | 361
    16-Dec-22 | 11,203 | 390 | 11,999 | 796
    23-Dec-22 | 12,037 | 429 | 14,101 | 2,064

That's awful :-(
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    Foxy said:

Sleepy Joe certainly looks as if he is enjoying the job. Why would he not stand?

And first!

From the outside he seems a decent president. Effective even. Just needs his health to hold up.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,863
    If reports are accurate, McCarthy is on verge of selling out the country to a nihilist faction so he can briefly occupy a now-powerless office - then cash in for whatever he can get after this fiasco.
    https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1611127360761352199
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,101
    "...punters clearly believing that his age – he’ll be 82 before the first primaries – is not a negative factor."

I don't think it's a categorical thing. Sure, it would be better if Biden were thirty years younger. But is his age such a problem that it makes him ineligible to be the nominee? There's a big difference between those two positions.

So, yes, Biden's age is a negative factor, but compared to all the other potential nominees he's got so many positive factors in his favour that the chances of him not being the nominee are mostly actuarial.

The way things are going he'll be an incumbent President who defeated Russia in a European war without committing American forces to combat, who defeated Trump in 2020, and who took important strategic steps in reducing American economic dependence on China. If inflation recedes and the economy keeps going then an optimistic take would be that his age is his only negative factor.

I think betting against Biden being the nominee is a very bad value losing bet.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,500
    FPT

Just returned from a party and I see I’m now a lefty. Not voted Labour since 1997 but I suppose it’s all relative.

I know it’s a page old now but I’d asked if one of the posters was proposing a full on US style healthcare system. This is because what was being mooted was choice on whether or not to take insurance, choice of provider, and an escalating service quality depending on payment. That is much closer to the US system than anything in Europe.

Anyway interesting anecdotes from some snatched semi-political conversations at this party, with a couple of people closer to the boomer end of Gen X than I am. And I can announce that I’ve found the 16%

- The problems in the NHS are the fault of strikers
    - I’d never step inside a Lidl (what, even for the wine?)
    - Sir Keir will be inviting Mick Lynch in for beer and sandwiches once he’s inside no10

But, and this is notably different from what you’d get in an equivalent conversation in the US: “climate change, big worry isn’t it. Good for your vineyard mate but it really seems to getting out of control”
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,496
    edited January 2023
    Jeffries = 212
    McCarthy = 200
    Donalds = 13
    Hern = 7 (he voted for KMcC)
    present = 1 (Spartz of Indiana)
    not voting = 1 (Buck of Indiana, absent for another ballot)

Addendum - who wants to bet, that Kevinites will (yet again) move to adjourn?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

Jeffries = 212
    McCarthy = 200
    Donalds = 13

I thought Buck had gone to the doctor’s?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Jeffries = 212
    McCarthy = 200
    Donalds = 13

Had not heard that - thanks for that.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    TimS said:

FPT

Just returned from a party and I see I’m now a lefty. Not voted Labour since 1997 but I suppose it’s all relative.

I know it’s a page old now but I’d asked if one of the posters was proposing a full on US style healthcare system. This is because what was being mooted was choice on whether or not to take insurance, choice of provider, and an escalating service quality depending on payment. That is much closer to the US system than anything in Europe.

Anyway interesting anecdotes from some snatched semi-political conversations at this party, with a couple of people closer to the boomer end of Gen X than I am. And I can announce that I’ve found the 16%

- Sir Keir will be inviting Mick Lynch in for beer and sandwiches once he’s inside no10

But, and this is notably different from what you’d get in an equivalent conversation in the US: “climate change, big worry isn’t it. Good for your vineyard mate but it really seems to getting out of control”

Do you need an update on all the exciting developments in the House Speaker drama?

Here you go...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    edited January 2023

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    TimS said:

FPT

They should try visiting Scotland. Ice Age 2 is more like it.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    While waiting for this evening's local elections results I have been scouring the web for forgotten music gems. Can I present Karl Goldmark. I was aware of his violin concerto but now know about his enigmatic overture Penthesilea and his magnificent opera Die Konigen von Saba ( with a superb alternative Entry of the Queen of Sheba). Check it out.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jeffries = 212
    McCarthy = 200
    Donalds = 13

Buck misses speaker votes for "planned non-emergency medical procedure"
    Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who supported McCarthy in earlier votes for speaker, did not vote on the ninth ballot and will miss any subsequent rounds Thursday for a planned medical procedure, his office said.

Buck's office confirmed in a statement to CBS News that the Republican is returning back to his home state of Colorado for the non-emergency procedure. It's unclear when he will return to Washington and whether he will be in attendance for any voting that takes place Friday.

"He hopes to return to D.C. as soon as possible and get back to work for the American people," the statement said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/house-speaker-race-vote-kevin-mccarthy-watch-live-stream-today-2022-01-05/
  • Options
    Personally think fact that McCarthy keeps moving to adjourn the House, is sign of his weakness.

Or rather, his continually weakening weakness. (Or is that continually STRENGTHENING weakness?)

Here is one instance, where US House of Representative was in session for 27 hours . . . and made history

https://history.house.gov/Historical-Highlights/1901-1950/The-House-s-all-night-session-to-break-Speaker-Joe-Cannon-s-power/

The House’s All night Session to Break Speaker Joe Cannon’s Power
    March 17, 1910

On this date, the House of Representatives “stayed up all night” during a marathon session lasting 29 hours, debating the power of the Committee on Rules. Seizing an opportunity to challenge the power of Speaker of the House Joe Cannon of Illinois, Representative George Norris of Nebraska introduced a resolution as a matter of constitutional privilege to change the House rules. His resolution removed the Speaker as chairman of the Committee on Rules and expanded its membership from five to 15, made up of groupings by state, which would effectively strip the Speaker of much of his power.

Representative John Dalzell of Pennsylvania objected to the resolution, arguing that it should not take precedence over pending business. Dalzell’s objection allowed for debate to continue, and for reinforcements to be recruited through the night, until the Speaker delivered his ruling.

Cannon’s fellow Republican Jacob Sloat Fassett of New York, chided his colleagues who had allied with the Democrats, saying “This is not a question of a change of rules. It is a question of a change of party control. It is a question of losing grip. It is a question of whether or not the powers of this Republican majority are to be emasculated by an unnatural and foreign alliance with our natural born enemies.”

“Insurgent” Republican Congressman Henry Allen Cooper of Wisconsin responded, “They have shouted ‘party,’ ‘party,’ as though an honest effort to amend the rules of this House to be branded traitor to his party . . .They give more power to the Speaker than is accorded the presiding officer of any other legislative body in the world.”

On March 19, 1910, facing inevitable defeat and personal humiliation Cannon nevertheless sustained Dalzell’s point of order. His decision to reject Norris's resolution was appealed to the House and overturned, and Norris’s resolution was adopted, breaking the deadlocked session and weakening Cannon’s iron-fisted rule.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Jeffries = 212
    McCarthy = 200
    Donalds = 13

Buck misses speaker votes for "planned non-emergency medical procedure"
    Rep. Ken Buck, a Republican who supported McCarthy in earlier votes for speaker, did not vote on the ninth ballot and will miss any subsequent rounds Thursday for a planned medical procedure, his office said.

Buck's office confirmed in a statement to CBS News that the Republican is returning back to his home state of Colorado for the non-emergency procedure. It's unclear when he will return to Washington and whether he will be in attendance for any voting that takes place Friday.

"He hopes to return to D.C. as soon as possible and get back to work for the American people," the statement said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/house-speaker-race-vote-kevin-mccarthy-watch-live-stream-today-2022-01-05/
    This is virtually admission by McCarthy "forces" that they are nowhere near achieving majority UNLESS the 20 anti-Kevinites switch as a unit to backing some kind of deal.

The Kevinite strategy of picking off the weaklings having begun to work . . . but the other way around.
  • Options
    No motion to adjourn, instead a GOPer from Okla on his hind legs nominating McCarthy.

Gave a nice compliment to the Clerk of the House.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    FPT

dixiedean said:

There are a number of ex-centre right posters who now appear to be centre-left posters. Scott and Sunil spring instantly to mind.
    Don't think they've moved much.
    But the situation certainly has.
    Plus. Our resident Lib Dems don't seem overly anxious to see another Tory-led government. Nor particularly spooked by a Labour one.
    MoonRabbit possibly the exception.

I’ve never voted Tory, and have no plans to vote for this junk of a government. My country needs a change of government. The divided Tories have lost their way, they are not delivering, just getting a crap reputation that will turn generations of voters off them for decades - which makes it in interest of Tories themselves, not to wound their long term chances any further by sneaking another 5 years!

There’s also an argument, Brexit, Boris, Corbyn conspired to keep them in longer, than how popular they actually were with middle ground voters, and that wasn’t healthy for any party to overstay its welcome, unique circumstances or not.

And there is a very strong argument Boris and his Brexit/anti business agenda to bring levelling up and a stronger Britain, should ideally have stayed to defend that and his majority at the next election, without him, what is their pitch now? There is nothing from last twelve years to argue they need another five, and more than enough to say they shouldn’t.

The fiscal austerity of the Dave conservatism replaced by the high spending, high taxing, high borrowing irresponsibility of the Boris and Rishi years, isn’t remotely consistent with each other. Is it? And Truss won a big win with membership very open about a completely different way of doing it again. Did any one of 3 Tory ideology get it right? Which of these three clashing ideologies is actually traditional Conservative values in a 21st century modern era? Are they about privatising channel 4 or not? The NFU leader has dealt with 3 governments with three different sets of priorities in last couple of years, she said today.

Anyone who votes Tory at the next election must be trying to kill the party off, not save it. It will be unpatriotic to give this mess of a party another 5 years of so much power in our country.

Can I be anymore clear in squashing your irresponsible speculation about my vote?
    A brief observation- because I think it highlights something general and probably important.

Aren't you forgetting someone? Grey haired lady, wore big necklaces. Lost her voice in a speech when the backdrop started to collapse.

She was PM longer than Truss, presumably longer than Sunak will manage. Almost as long as Johnson. She had a distinctive agenda, definitely different to Dave, Boris and Liz, possibly more authentically Conservative than any of them.

And now it takes non-trivial effort to remember her at all. You know, thingy.
    My theory of what went wrong in British politics is that the Conservatives chose the wrong moderniser with Cameron and that Theresa May would have done a much better job as Prime Minister in 2010.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    Off topic, but this courage deserves some recognition: 'Iran says it has closed a Tehran-based French institute over "sacrilegious" cartoons of its supreme leader in a French satirical magazine.

Charlie Hebdo's latest edition features caricatures mocking Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and fellow Shia Muslim clerics sent in by readers in support of the anti-government protests in Iran.

Some of them are sexually explicit.'
    source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64175094

(By way of comparison: I have four relatively recent yearly cartoon collections from the New Yorker (2010, 2011, 2015, and 2016). (They stopped putting them out in 2016.)

How many cartoons in those four collections, together containing more than a thousand cartoons, were in any way directed at Muslims? One, a cartoon showing a completely covered woman at a beach, with this caption: "Taliban de Soleil".

I haven't seen any others since, when I have looked at their daily cartoons, as I do from time to time.)
  • Options
    This latest nominator for Kevin McCarthy is much better than previous ones, for one thing he's very positive.

Though convincing anyone not on the GOP payroll that Calvin Coolidge was a Great President is a stretch and then some.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,465
    Uttlesford by-election result:

Con 375
    RFU 238
    Lab 115
    LD 88
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Quite interesting to see a few posters outing themselves as ex-Tories. I wouldn't have easily guessed from the tone of their posts in most cases.
    Which is somewhat of a problem for the Blue team just now.
    Especially if they are shedding 1997 Tory voters.

I voted Conservative in 2010, and thought the Coalition the best period of government in recent history. I won't be doing so again, at least not until we have a Conservative leader apologise for Brexit and how it was handled.

I don't like Starmer, and will look carefully at the candidates next GE. I could vote Labour for the right candidate but more likely Lib Dem.
    So you support years of austerity, where nurses pay was definitely squeezed, but not the pay of everyone, and what that has done to public services? Surely that government you praise actually done the mostest to set up the crisis in vacancies, stitching up the current crop of leading politicians?

When 2010-15 government entered into austerity, to solve a problem they bigged up that’s not a patch on what it is today after further years of conservatives, that government should have known the central plank of their policy would be the inherent vice of lowering incomes, leading to problem to recruit and retain skilled staff? How did they imagine winning a third term, by putting right all the damage caused by austerity in their first? the years of that government you actually done the most to set up the current crisis in health and social services - whilst it’s so clear now, we weren’t all in it together either - nurses income drop, rich people big tax cuts.

So arguably neither a clever long term plan, or remotely fair?
    Certainly at the beginning of the Coalition the Austerity programme was needed to reestablish economic credibility in the land. It probably should have ended sooner.

The real terms cuts in pay for nurses were small because inflation was low. The substantial real terms cuts of the last year are more than that entire parliament.
    So not cut by a fifth over ten years then?

https://www.nursinginpractice.com/latest-news/nurses-real-wage-down-20-in-ten-years-despite-raises/

To be fair to you, how are you defining nurse, as they unlikely to all receive the same pay and less paid may not have received the full one fifth cut? But then the talent drain might even be more acute further up, as why take on more managerial stress if your pay don’t really compensate it?
  • Options

FPT

dixiedean said:

There are a number of ex-centre right posters who now appear to be centre-left posters. Scott and Sunil spring instantly to mind.
    Plus. Our resident Lib Dems don't seem overly anxious to see another Tory-led government. Nor particularly spooked by a Labour one.

I’ve never voted Tory, and have no plans to vote for this junk of a government. My country needs a change of government. The divided Tories have lost their way, they are not delivering, just getting a crap reputation that will turn generations of voters off them for decades - which makes it in interest of Tories themselves, not to wound their long term chances any further by sneaking another 5 years!

There’s also an argument, Brexit, Boris, Corbyn conspired to keep them in longer, than how popular they actually were with middle ground voters, and that wasn’t healthy for any party to overstay its welcome, unique circumstances or not.

And there is a very strong argument Boris and his Brexit/anti business agenda to bring levelling up and a stronger Britain, should ideally have stayed to defend that and his majority at the next election, without him, what is their pitch now? There is nothing from last twelve years to argue they need another five, and more than enough to say they shouldn’t.

The fiscal austerity of the Dave conservatism replaced by the high spending, high taxing, high borrowing irresponsibility of the Boris and Rishi years, isn’t remotely consistent with each other. Is it? And Truss won a big win with membership very open about a completely different way of doing it again. Did any one of 3 Tory ideology get it right? Which of these three clashing ideologies is actually traditional Conservative values in a 21st century modern era? Are they about privatising channel 4 or not? The NFU leader has dealt with 3 governments with three different sets of priorities in last couple of years, she said today.

Anyone who votes Tory at the next election must be trying to kill the party off, not save it. It will be unpatriotic to give this mess of a party another 5 years of so much power in our country.

Can I be anymore clear in squashing your irresponsible speculation about my vote?
    A brief observation- because I think it highlights something general and probably important.

Aren't you forgetting someone? Grey haired lady, wore big necklaces. Lost her voice in a speech when the backdrop started to collapse.

She was PM longer than Truss, presumably longer than Sunak will manage. Almost as long as Johnson. She had a distinctive agenda, definitely different to Dave, Boris and Liz, possibly more authentically Conservative than any of them.

My theory of what went wrong in British politics is that the Conservatives chose the wrong moderniser with Cameron and that Theresa May would have done a much better job as Prime Minister in 2010.
    Why stop there? Perhaps Boris would have been a better Brexit PM from the start, and Cameron a better post Brexit PM.
  • Options
    Posted on previous thread, but put to much into it to let it die :)

So, as I understand it, the rebel Republicans have had most of their major demands met: places on the Rules Committee, and the ability to move for the removal of the Speaker. But they still refuse to vote for McCarthy. Either they are too stupid to realise that they won't get everything, and/or it's McCarthy that is the block, or possibly just that they are bomb-throwers and nothing else. In addition, they have failed, on ten votes now, to grow their group and show they have momentum.Winning this battle is beyond them.

McCarthy has given in to the rebel demands, but has failed to persuade them to vote for him. So he fails the first criterion for actually being Speaker: the ability to corral enough people to win a vote. The second criterion would be to look for alternative ways of achieving his goal, but that seems to be beyond him too: whether he believes – possibly with reason – that he's made himself too toxic to the Democrats to get a compromise with the moderate Dems, or that he too is so stupid he doesn't grasp that there is such an alternative. And it is becoming increasingly obvious that he is too egoistic to realise that he is blocking this process, and also that he demonstrates, with every successive vote and failure, that he doesn't have what it takes to be speaker. Winning this battle is beyond him.

The mainstream R strategy seems to be nothing more than hold votes until the rebels are worn enough to fall into line, or to fall apart in their opposition, but there is absolutely no sign of movement to encourage that view. And yet, on they go with it, blindly and naively hoping for a something to turn up, while taking no action to look for that something. Winning this battle is beyond them.

How could this end? Someone, anyone, on the Republican side needs to realise that there needs to be a change – finding a candidate acceptable to the rebels, or to moderate Democrats, or completely left field. There's no sign of it yet. Or enough Democrats need to get sloppy, or lazy, and not turn up to vote so the threshold drops far enough for a result. But there's no sign of that yet – if anything, it's the Republican side that seems to have an eroding organisation.

I am beginning to feel that we could be here for a long time to come. A long time. The record is 133 votes over two months. Could that be about to change? Maybe. And every vote and every day is another signal to the voting public in the US that the Republican Party is no longer a serious, functioning political party.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

pm215 said:

My issue has nothing to do with the BBC's politics. My issue is with the relevance and popularity of much of its programming, and it's poor commercial performance given the vast advantage its funding via the license fee ensures.

What's the point of having a publicly funded broadcaster and then measuring it by commercial performance? If you want 'commercially successful' you can get that from the commercially funded channels; if you're publicly funding TV it should be because you want an outcome you're not getting from the commercial channels, and your metrics should therefore be measuring whatever that other outcome is.
    I am not against public funding for a heartbeat of highbrow or otherwise essential public service programming that would otherwise not be made, but much of the BBC's output doesn't fit that profile, it's popular entertainment, just not very entertaining, or as it turns out very popular.

I am also not proposing to privatise the BBC (and I am against privatising Channel 4) but I do believe that with the investment it receives, it should at some point aim to be making money not just using it up.
    “I am against privatising Channel 4”

Don’t you feel it survived privatisation by living on past glories, sentimentality not it’s output today, nor it’s hopeless future of dishing out unoriginal stuff just easily now found everywhere else.

When it was born there were only four channels, and the community remit, to provide access to something different, was 100% real then, but 0% real now. What’s point of C4 foreign film/LGBT season when you can have all that from any or all options on Netflix, Sky Cinema, Prime, MUBI. What is original now on C4 - when so many other places are being more original with better budgets?

Privatisation isn’t the answer - it should be retired, put to sleep, whilst at birth it was 100% relevant, it’s now 0% relevant.

This is no country for unoriginal old channels, whether paid by tax payers or not.
    It's an old, unoriginal channel that makes a profit, and is largely responsible for funding the UK film industry. Why are we in such a rush to get rid of the parts of the State (see also Royal Mail privatisation) that actually run at a profit?
    The measurement of nationalised company’s is simply if they are making profit?

Does a nationalised rail have to run a profit to save itself from privatisation - or fulfil its remit of providing a service to the country - get people to work and business on time for the productivity of the nation?

I explained a tax payer funded Channel 4 is 0% fulfilling its remit these days, in that case why is it getting largess from the tax payer? They should only get tax payer cash for achieving remit, not claiming profit.

I personally know people who go to BFI for funding, not C4, lottery funded BFI largely responsible for funding the UK film industry I think you will find, not C4 speculating on films with tax payer cash.
  • Options

Off topic, but this courage deserves some recognition: 'Iran says it has closed a Tehran-based French institute over "sacrilegious" cartoons of its supreme leader in a French satirical magazine.

Charlie Hebdo's latest edition features caricatures mocking Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and fellow Shia Muslim clerics sent in by readers in support of the anti-government protests in Iran.

Some of them are sexually explicit.'
    source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64175094

(By way of comparison: I have four relatively recent yearly cartoon collections from the New Yorker (2010, 2011, 2015, and 2016). (They stopped putting them out in 2016.)

How many cartoons in those four collections, together containing more than a thousand cartoons, were in any way directed at Muslims? One, a cartoon showing a completely covered woman at a beach, with this caption: "Taliban de Soleil".

I haven't seen any others since, when I have looked at their daily cartoons, as I do from time to time.)

How can it be sacrilege to mock and insult mere clerics - are they claiming they are the same as God, and that to insult them insults God?

Not that being concerned with their worldly power would be a surprise of course.
  • Options
    Gaetz nominates Trump.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Uttlesford by-election result:

Con 375
    RFU 238
    Lab 115
    LD 88

Big drop in turnout. Looks like Con postal votes have won it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    kle4 said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Why stop there? Perhaps Boris would have been a better Brexit PM from the start, and Cameron a better post Brexit PM.
    Yes, if you just reshuffle the order then we would be in a very different place now. Imagine a timeline where Cameron and Osborne were both cabinet ministers under May and then Johnson.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

So, as I understand it, the rebel Republicans have had most of their major demands met: places on the Rules Committee, and the ability to move for the removal of the Speaker. But they still refuse to vote for McCarthy. Either they are too stupid to realise that they won't get everything, and/or it's McCarthy that is the block, or possibly just that they are bomb-throwers and nothing else. In addition, they have failed, on ten votes now, to grow their group and show they have momentum.Winning this battle is beyond them.

McCarthy has given in to the rebel demands, but has failed to persuade them to vote for him. So he fails the first criterion for actually being Speaker: the ability to corral enough people to win a vote. The second criterion would be to look for alternative ways of achieving his goal, but that seems to be beyond him too: whether he believes – possibly with reason – that he's made himself too toxic to the Democrats to get a compromise with the moderate Dems, or that he too is so stupid he doesn't grasp that there is such an alternative. And it is becoming increasingly obvious that he is too egoistic to realise that he is blocking this process, and also that he demonstrates, with every successive vote and failure, that he doesn't have what it takes to be speaker. Winning this battle is beyond him.

The mainstream R strategy seems to be nothing more than hold votes until the rebels are worn enough to fall into line, or to fall apart in their opposition, but there is absolutely no sign of movement to encourage that view. And yet, on they go with it, blindly and naively hoping for a something to turn up, while taking no action to look for that something. Winning this battle is beyond them.

How could this end? Someone, anyone, on the Republican side needs to realise that there needs to be a change – finding a candidate acceptable to the rebels, or to moderate Democrats, or completely left field. There's no sign of it yet. Or enough Democrats need to get sloppy, or lazy, and not turn up to vote so the threshold drops far enough for a result. But there's no sign of that yet – if anything, it's the Republican side that seems to have an eroding organisation.

I am beginning to feel that we could be here for a long time to come. A long time. The record is 133 votes over two months. Could that be about to change? Maybe. And every vote and every day is another signal to the voting public in the US that the Republican Party is no longer a serious, functioning political party.

McCarthy should have given up after not securing election twice.
  • Options
    It's the anniversary of the January 6th insurrection tomorrow, and I believe most Republican members of the House tacitly or openly supported that tendency by claiming Trump won the election, so maybe the rebels want only vote for a Speaker on that momentous anniversary.
  • Options

This is NOT gonna take months to resolve. Days more like it.

Rebels want a) their demands; plus b) Kevin McCarthy's head on a pike; thus c) next Speaker a GOPer who is NOT KMcC

Also not I reckon ANYONE else previously nominated since this Flying Flea Circus started on Tuesday.

Personally think Steve Scalise is most available AND likely option.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437

FPT

dixiedean said:

I think May was the wrong way round to Boris rather than Cameron. Boris being left with the Brexit mess in 2016 with the serious and sensible May in charge during Covid (no parties in Downing St!) would have been a much better result for the Tories all around.
  • Options
    One thing clear - US House will NOT adjourn without concurrence of either the GOP rebels OR the Democrats.

IF I were Hakeen Jeffries, I'd tell my caucus to prepare for a sleep-over.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited January 2023
    Is there any realistic way to get all bar 4 of the Rep Reps (Reps squared?) to vote for one speaker candidate? McCarthy's already given them basically everything they asked for and still can't get the votes - which bodes badly for him even if he does eventually force it over the line.

In any serious country an unelected hereditary ruler would have ensured some maces were waved in historic tradition, and told the people to try again and to get off the fence this time.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Harry’s book is a personal disaster. Forget @Oprah and @netflix, this finishes him in the eyes of @RoyalFamily and mainstream British public. He’s also now a target for every disaffected jihadi or nutter looking to make a name for themselves. His family too. Shocking foolishness.

https://twitter.com/DominicFarrell/status/1611128355545391104

• Options
    Narrow Labour gain in Etching Hill. Pretty close to where I live incidentally.
  • Options
    Lab gain in Cannock Chase.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Is there any realistic way to get all bar 4 of the Rep Reps (Reps squared?) to vote for one speaker candidate? McCarthy's already given them basically everything they asked for and still can't get the votes - which bodes badly for him even if he does eventually force it over the line.

In any serious country an unelected hereditary ruler would have ensured some maces were waved in historic tradition, and told the people to try again and to get off the fence this time.

Am sure than more than one Republican Rep could win the votes of ALL the House Republicans.

NOT Kevin McCarthy obviously.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Every incumbent President since LBJ who has sought his party's nomination has got it again. So if Biden goes the odds are he would get it.

Meanwhile given the GOP establishment cannot even get their Speaker candidate elected despite a GOP House majority there is certainly no guarantee they can get DeSantis the nomination ahead of Trump
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    After Putin announced a unilateral ceasefire for Christmas, watch out for false flag attacks on Church services and other mass-gatherings in Russian-occupied Ukraine that could be blamed on Ukraine Army and used to justify a full mobilization on Russia.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1611144640539033600
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907

This is NOT gonna take months to resolve. Days more like it.

Rebels want a) their demands; plus b) Kevin McCarthy's head on a pike; thus c) next Speaker a GOPer who is NOT KMcC

Also not I reckon ANYONE else previously nominated since this Flying Flea Circus started

on Tuesday.

Personally think Steve Scalise is most available

AND likely option.
    Flying Flea Circus 😂
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,500

Harry’s book is a personal disaster. Forget @Oprah and @netflix, this finishes him in the eyes of @RoyalFamily and mainstream British public. He’s also now a target for every disaffected jihadi or nutter looking to make a name for themselves. His family too. Shocking foolishness.

https://twitter.com/DominicFarrell/status/1611128355545391104

He seems to be “finished in the eyes of the British public” every week since two Easters ago.

In reality, who the fuck cares?
    I had a flicker of interest on hearing about the horsey older woman in the pub car park. I’m still not entirely sure if that was actually in the leaked book but I assume for now it was.

Wouldn’t it have been so much better if spare had been a rip roaring yarn about a royal Fitz and the hilarious but risqué scrapes the old blighter had got himself into during his delinquent youth.

The whole Royal family psychodrama just isn’t remotely interesting or relevant.
  • Options
    This roll call identical to last roll call.
  • Options
    Here are two examples of what is passing as "strategy" with Kevin McCarthy "leaders", both from NYT live blog:

Patrick McHenry, Republican of North Carolina, said that lawmakers were still negotiating on a deal but added that the situation was constantly improving. “Every hour has been successively better than the last,” he said. “Obviously, we started not at a very high place, but we’re now getting to a very good place.”

Republicans are increasingly driving home the point that they are unable to work with federal agencies until they are sworn in. “Without a speaker, my team cannot receive vital information from federal agencies related to constituent casework,” Young Kim of California wrote on Twitter. "Kevin McCarthy has the support of over 200 Republicans. The few holdouts need to join us so we can unite & get to work.”

SSI - First is happy crap. Even it there's glimmer of truth to it, acting like a rainbow is starting to materialize in the sky is hyping expectations that are likely to unrealized.

Second "tweet" is designed to generate pressure on rebels from their own constituents (and contributors). Sound in political science theory but perhaps bit deficient in practice dealing with wing-nuts of this caliber.
  • Options
    more from NYT live blog:

The food orders keep flooding in as the House braces for an even longer night. Aides carrying what appeared to be Persian food just walked by me.

SSI - Just which "Republican Guard" are we talking about here, anyhow?

Ayatollah Billie Bob Tubthumper (R-East Jesus)
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Kevinite moves to adjourn. Yeas & Nays requested and ordered. Electronic vote now in progress.

Tonight's vote on motion to adjourn moving along faster than last night's. So far zero Nay votes from GOPers.
  • Options
    Trump gets one vote even though he isn't a member of the House. Didn't know that was possible.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680

FPT

dixiedean said:

Would Mrs May have been able to form a coalition government with the Lib Dems? I suspect not.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Trump gets one vote even though he isn't a member of the House. Didn't know that was possible.

Constitution, which requires House of Representative to elect a Speaker, does NOT require the Speaker to be an elected Representative.

However, no House Speaker (yet) has NOT been a House member.

Edit - In part, this is a reflection on how American practice from early Republic onward, did not quite match the perspectives and expectations of the Founding Fathers who drafted and enacted the Constitution.

Who clearly expected the House of Reps to function in very similar fashion to the House of Commons, as it was in the last 18th century. With Senate in the mold more-or-less of the House of Lords, again 18th-century style. With gentry & merchant, as opposed to hereditary, peers.
  • Options
    Motion to adjourn

Yea = 219

Nay = 213 = 212 Dems + 1 Rep

Not Voting = 1
  • Options
    ClippP said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Would Mrs May have been able to form a coalition government with the Lib Dems? I suspect not.
    Whatever did the DUP do with that reported £1 billion of taxpayer money that May used to buy their support?
  • Options
    edited January 2023

Andy_JS said:

Constitution, which requires House of Representative to elect a Speaker, does NOT require the Speaker to be an elected Representative.

Edit - In part, this is a reflection on how American practice from early Republic onward, did not quite match the perspectives and expectations of the Founding Fathers who drafted and enacted the Constitution.

Who clearly expected the House of Reps to function in very similar fashion to the House of Commons, as it was in the last 18th century. With Senate in the mold more-or-less of the House of Lords, again 18th-century style. With gentry & merchant, as opposed to hereditary, peers.
    Similar to the fact that a British prime minister (or other ministers I believe) don't have to be a member of the House of Commons or House of Lords.

This happened in 1964 when Harold Wilson appointed Patrick Gordon Walker as Foreign Secretary even though he'd just lost his seat in the House of Commons. He finally had to resign when he failed to win a by-election a few months later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gordon_Walker
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Similar to the fact that a British prime minister (or other ministers I believe) don't have to be a member of the House of Commons or House of Lords.

This happened in 1964 when Harold Wilson appointed Patrick Gordon Walker as Foreign Secretary even though he'd just lost his seat in the House of Commons. He finally had to resign when he failed to win a by-election a few months later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Gordon_Walker
    Also the men who wrote the Constitution did NOT anticipate the Speaker of the House in the role of political leader, as it emerged by the time Henry Clay was elected Speaker on his first day in the House, just in time to help lead the War Hawks in declaring war against UK in 1812.

Instead, they conceived of our Speaker as having the same role as your Speaker, as a impartial (more or less) presiding officer.
  • Options
    Of course, neither did the Founding Fathers anticipate Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Jim Jordan, Marjorie Taylor Greene, etc., etc.

Not to mention the Sage of Mar-a-Lardo!
  • Options
    Last from NYT live blog

Even as the House has adjourned for the night, Hakeem Jeffries, Democrat of New York, is lingering with some Democratic lawmakers under the dimmed lights in the chamber. Jeffries, who has earned the most votes on all 11 ballots, hasn't stopped smiling.

SSI - One reason that Hakeem Jeffries is smiling, is because tonight all 212 Democrats were present and voting Nay against McCarthy's motion to adjourn.

Last night two Dems did NOT vote, apparently they didn't make it to the Chamber on time. The Nay vote was higher, but only because 4 Reps also voted Nay; tonight that number was just 1 = Tim Burchett of Tennessee.

So House Dems actually IMPROVED their voting discipline, which of course has been solid as a rock since Tuesday.

As for Representative Burchett, from East Tennessee (rock-solid Republican since Fort Sumter) he's the humorist GOP Congressman profiled by Politico earlier this week, who said (among other things) that he wanted to party with AOC in the Bronx.

Burchett's voted for McCarthy on every roll call. Most definitely has strong sense of humor!
  • Options
    Would the GOP rebels ever prefer to help elect a Democrat speaker rather than a GOP speaker candidate they don't like?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    After living here a year, I still don’t understand US politics.

And I can’t be arsed to even look it up.

It’s a giant mess.

UK politics, for all its squalid spectacle, seems both straightforward and redeemable somehow.

So I stay on here instead of PB_USA.com
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Andy_JS said:

Would the GOP rebels ever prefer to help elect a Democrat speaker rather than a GOP speaker candidate they don't like?

The current ones? That's hard to imagine. In theory it's possible that some GOP moderates would get sick of their party's bullshit and join the Dems to choose a Dem, or more likely an anti-Trump Republican. You'd only need a few. But their primary voters would kill them for it.
  • Options

FPT

dixiedean said:

I think May was the wrong way round to Boris rather than Cameron. Boris being left with the Brexit mess in 2016 with the serious and sensible May in charge during Covid (no parties in Downing St!) would have been a much better result for the Tories all around.
    There is no scenario in which Johnson was the right PM for the times. Since it is never the right time for scandal.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Nevertheless what used to be seen as almost a non-partisan role, in the British tradition, has been transformed into a role of partisan leadership. One way out of the impasse is for moderates in both sides to find someone distanced from the current partisan divide - which could be someone from outside the House not currently involved in active party politics - and construct a set of rules to try and move to a more neutral model of speakership.

Of course there are lots of reasons why this is unlikely to happen, but it probably represents the best outcome nevertheless
  • Options
    ClippP said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

The key people on the LibDem side paint a more sympathetic picture of May during the coalition period than we might think. Gove and her were probably the best two to deal with, and May gave the LibDems a lot of backing on their desire to see same sex marriage onto the statute books, for example.

Gove had the intelligence to see the bigger picture for the coalition, and May is a rule-follower with a strong sense of fairness and the ‘right way’ of doing things, so both of them curbed what would otherwise be politicians’ natural instinct to turn every situation to their own advantage. The one exception with May was the infamous ‘go home’ vans initiative, which got done very quickly while the key LibDems were on holiday. Which always made me wonder whether there were other fingers in that particular pie?
  • Options

It’s a giant mess.

UK politics, for all its squalid spectacle, seems both straightforward and redeemable somehow.

It’s about vested interest and big money in a way that, so far at least, is a lot more overt and obvious than in our poltiics.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nevertheless what used to be seen as almost a non-partisan role, in the British tradition, has been transformed into a role of partisan leadership. One way out of the impasse is for moderates in both sides to find someone distanced from the current partisan divide - which could be someone from outside the House not currently involved in active party politics - and construct a set of rules to try and move to a more neutral model of speakership.

Of course there are lots of reasons why this is unlikely to happen, but it probably represents the best outcome nevertheless
    In the US, there is no tradition or history of the Speaker as non-partisan, not since powdered wigs went out of fashion anyway.

Has ALWAYS been a partisan position. Only difference through the decades has been the shifting definitions as to the uses of, and limitations upon, partisanship.

The kind of setup you describe may sound nice - in theory. But no basis for it in American practice. Nor would it be a surefire success. Or at least any more successful than the Speakership has been in the course of US history.

One thing I think Brits may be missing is - the US House of Representatives is NOT an American House of Commons. For one thing, it is only one-half of one-third of the US government; that is, half of one branch of the federal government, the legislative.

Whereas in UK, the House of Commons is about 95% of the national government. At least as the springboard for the Cabinet.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

McCarthy should have given up after not securing election twice.
    Farage failed eight times.....
  • Options

It’s a giant mess.

Brits (and other Commonwealth types!) do Americans the honor of being shocked and appalled by our politics.

Wheres 95% of Americans really do NOT give a fiddler's final farewell feck about foreign politics. EXCEPT as it appears to have some DIRECT bearing on US.

We simply can't be bothered to be appalled, by ordinary government/political/electoral strum und drang of other lands. Even the Mother Country!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

In the US, there is no tradition or history of the Speaker as non-partisan, not since powdered wigs went out of fashion anyway.

Has ALWAYS been a partisan position. Only difference through the decades has been the shifting definitions as to the uses of, and limitations upon, partisanship.

The kind of setup you describe may sound nice - in theory. But no basis for it in American practice. Nor would it be a surefire success. Or at least any more successful than the Speakership has been in the course of US history.

One thing I think Brits may be missing is - the US House of Representatives is NOT an American House of Commons. For one thing, it is only one-half of one-third of the US government; that is, half of one branch of the federal government, the legislative.

Whereas in UK, the House of Commons is about 95% of the national government. At least as the springboard for the Cabinet.
    Yet CNN reports: “Former Rep. Adam Kinzinger, the moderate Illinois Republican who was part of the House January 6 committee and is now a CNN contributor, pointed out to Burnett on Wednesday that the role of the speaker as a partisan leader is relatively new. Speakers previously simply oversaw House proceedings. “
  • Options

It’s a giant mess.

Brits (and other Commonwealth types!) do Americans the honor of being shocked and appalled by our politics.

Wheres 95% of Americans really do NOT give a fiddler's final farewell feck about foreign politics. EXCEPT as it appears to have some DIRECT bearing on US.

We simply can't be bothered to be appalled, by ordinary government/political/electoral strum und drang of other lands. Even the Mother Country!
    Assuredly true, but a comment that says more about Americans than about the rest of the planet.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Narrow Labour gain in Etching Hill. Pretty close to where I live incidentally.

Nice part of the world, Andy. Well done.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

kle4 said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Yes, if you just reshuffle the order then we would be in a very different place now. Imagine a timeline where Cameron and Osborne were both cabinet ministers under May and then Johnson.
    May only looks good compared to the turnips that we have had since as PMs.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    IanB2 said:

It’s a giant mess.

Assuredly true, but a comment that says more about Americans than about the rest of the planet.
    Does it? Could more than 5% of British people even name the parties in the Italian parliament? Do more than 5% of Germans know anything at all about Indian politics? Do French people know who the president of Mexico is?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Punters clearly do believe that his age is a negative factor. They just don't see any serious moves to replace him.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,065

It’s a giant mess.

I literally lived on Capitol Hill for five years and even then I couldn't get my head around it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,101
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Worth remembering that the origins of the role of Speaker were very definitely not neutral. Position was to be brave individual who would speak the will of the Commons to the King, particularly when this will was contrary to that of the sovereign.

As with many things seems that the US way is to borrow from an earlier British tradition.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    The GOP can't allow itself to be blackmailed by its numpty fringe. They got elected as Republicans, if they can't support their party they should resign and stand again as independents.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

The GOP can't allow itself to be blackmailed by its numpty fringe.

They can't prevent it
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    edited January 2023
    Mike is not one to change his mind readily but I do wish he would at least listen to my previous points, reinforced by others, about the difference in attitudes to age in the UK vs the US.

"Retirement at 60" just isn't a thing for fit, healthy, driven Americans who believe in the Dream. You work and you work and you work. Senators in their 80's and 90's are not unknown and one, Strom Thurmond, did not retire as a Senator until he passed 100 as recently as 2003.

Unthinkable in the UK. De Rigueur in the US.

Here's a list of the 10 oldest serving senators. There are several currently serving senators in their late 80's.

https://www.oldest.org/politics/senators-us/

Stop thinking like a Brit!!!!!

xx
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

May only looks good compared to the turnips that we have had since as PMs.
    I'm not sure that May could have presented a sufficiently new face in 2010 to have rebooted the Conservatives in the eyes of voters. It probably needed someone like Cameron to do that. Actually Boris in 2010 might have been interesting - shameless enough to do what was necessary, and coalition would have prevented some of his worse habits.

As for TMexPM, a good woman put in a hole, an effective senior minister who likely would have handled Covid more effectively but probably not quite PM material. In some ways a bit like Rishi is turning out.

Better than the two who came between them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Heathener said:

Mike is not one to change his mind readily but I do wish he would at least listen to my previous points, reinforced by others, about the difference in attitudes to age in the UK vs the US.

"Retirement at 60" just isn't a thing for fit, healthy, driven Americans who believe in the Dream. You work and you work and you work. Senators in their 80's and 90's are not unknown and one, Strom Thurmond, did not retire as a Senator until he passed 100 as recently as 2003.

Here's a list of the 10 oldest serving senators. There are several currently serving senators in their late 80's.

xx

I dunno. We had a head of state who died in office at 96 only four months ago.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Although it’s buried in the depths of the report, this is a remarkable statistic:

In 2012 coal produced 43% of electricity.

In 2022 it was 1.5%.

That’s a staggering change in just ten years.

Now, obviously mistakes were made in replacing it. It was very foolish to go for large scale CCGT instead of tidal and to a lesser extent nuclear. But it does rather put into context just how far we’ve come.

Wind generated a record amount of electricity in 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64179918
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,791
    edited January 2023
    Heathener said:

xx

Much will depend on the individual, but I have been dealing with people in business who keep going in to their 80s... and fair play to them, but it can get quite frustrating dealing with them; firstly, you feel obliged to be a lot more deferential than you would otherwise be. Secondly, sometimes they don't know when to stop and keep going long after they should have called it a day, and it hinders succession planning. Clearly this is a factor in US politics but I don't think that this is a particularly great state of affairs.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    ydoethur said:

Although it’s buried in the depths of the report, this is a remarkable statistic:

In 2022 it was 1.5%.

Now, obviously mistakes were made in replacing it. It was very foolish to go for large scale CCGT instead of tidal and to a lesser extent nuclear. But it does rather put into context just how far we’ve come.

I wonder if Scott will give the Government any credit for this?
  • Options
    Economist:

Ten years ago this month, [PM] David Cameron…gave a speech at the London headquarters of Bloomberg, a news organisation. In it Mr Cameron outlined his cunning plan to cement Britain’s place in the European Union, by triggering a fundamental reform of the bloc and then offering Britons an in-out referendum on membership. That went well. The 2016 vote to leave the bloc has exacerbated Britain’s economic malaise, gumming up trade and muting investment. It has soured Britain’s relationship with many of its natural allies and weakened the bonds of its own union.

Followed by some reasonably pragmatic suggestions for improving things

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2023/01/05/a-realistic-path-to-a-better-relationship-between-britain-and-the-eu

• Options
    ClippP said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

If May was the candidate in 2010 then PM Clegg woud have accepted her as his deputy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

In 2022 it was 1.5%.

Burning gas rather than coal roughly halves the carbon dioxide released for a given amount of energy. It's also pretty quick to turn on and off. Hence the model of maxing out on solar and wind and using gas as backup to fill in the remaining gaps. Tidal is still trickier- the predictability would be a boon, but working with moving seawater isn't a fully solved problem.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Ten years ago this month, [PM] David Cameron…gave a speech at the London headquarters of Bloomberg, a news organisation. In it Mr Cameron outlined his cunning plan to cement Britain’s place in the European Union

Well, he inadvertently confirmed that the UK inside the EU was much better than the UK outside the EU, but not in the way he intended.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

xx

Much will depend on the individual, but I have been dealing with people in business who keep going in to their 80s... and fair play to them, but it can get quite frustrating dealing with them; firstly, you feel obliged to be a lot more deferential than you would otherwise be. Secondly, sometimes they don't know when to stop and keep going long after they should have called it a day, and it hinders succession planning. Clearly this is a factor in US politics but I don't think that this is a particularly great state of affairs.
    And it can be worse than that. Almost everyone gets more dogmatic and less flexible and imaginative as they get to advanced age, and if they are wanting to remain in work will tend to defend what is inevitably their increasingly vulnerable position by being resistant to any change, blocking threats real and imagined from those younger and more able within their organisation, and sticking to what they know and the way that they know - both becoming more and more outdated as time passes and the world moves on.

People working on through their sixties, when (they can still be) physically and mentally fit, is all well and good, and no-one can object to friendly older folks pointing you toward the lightbulb section at B&Q. But much older people who seek to cling to responsible position can be a huge problem, the resolution of which can be extremely difficult for a whole variety of reasons. Taking away the contractual expectation that people will leave at a designated age was done for admirable reasons, but it has led to a growing number of cases where organisations have either to deal with, or ignore and cope with, problems of failing capability. I am involved in one such case at the moment, about which the less said the better.
  • Options

It’s a giant mess.

Does such a thing even exist?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    dixiedean said:

For @Casino_Royale.
    When I first posted, after years of lurking, in 2016, I was hugely outnumbered. As a non-Corbynite, Ed Miliband type Labour voter, it was daunting. I felt a little ridiculed, patronised and dismissed. But I kept on. Your ideas are out of fashion right now. I've seen this site gradually come around to my way of thinking. They'll probably come round to yours again.
    It sharpened my thinking. And made me consider deeply whether I was wrong. In the end we don't have any control of policy anyways. I'm glad I stuck it out.
    Your voice is far more valuable when you are speaking against the fashion than when with it. Otherwise there'd be no point in this site.
    Just continue to make your points. The site is better for them. Even if no one agrees.

Surely he is not away in the huff again
  • Options
    New @PeoplePolling for @GBNEWS 4 Jan
    Lab 46% -1
    Con 22% +3
    Reform 8% nc
    Lib Dem 7% -1
    Green 7% -2
    (Change since 28 Dec; via news release)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

xx

You misspelt "Brick" there.
  • Options

It’s a giant mess.

Does such a thing even exist?
    Americans are sufficiently arrogant that they aren’t going to settle for an underscored US website; PB.com is the home site of the long-standing company that, among other things, makes postal meter machines.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It’s a giant mess.

Most people in UK would be hard pushed to name any politician in this country never mind any other country, a few PB nerds excepted. Most woudl indeed vote for a donkey with a blue or red rosette.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

xx

At 72 I do notice the "deferential" thing, even from (younger) people in more senior positions, and I find it unnerving. If someone doesn't agree with something I do or say, i want them to tell me with the usual level of office politeness - not "That's bollocks", but "I don't agree about that, I think..." If they merely look dubious, eye me with concern but say nothing, it feels patronising. Moreover, I presume there will come a point (whether in 10 years or 20) where my mind is inadequate for the job, and then I want to be told, a la Montgomery, that I don't seem to be up to it, how about a lovely retirement? I won't like it but I don't want to be a passenger, ever.

Conversely, of course, if my mind is still fit I don't want to be told I need to retire because X years have passed since I was born. That's just silly (and illegal). I think we should judge Biden on what he is, rather than when he was born.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

The GOP can't allow itself to be blackmailed by its numpty fringe. They got elected as Republicans, if they can't support their party they should resign and stand again as independents.

You would prefer nodding donkeys to people with their own minds. Kind of shows why UK is such a shithole.
This discussion has been closed.