Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Happy Christmas everyone – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited January 2023 in General
imageHappy Christmas everyone – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Merry Christmas from a foggy and smoggy Sri Lanka. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, Mike.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas to everyone
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    edited December 2022
    Merry Xmas, again, folks!

The dog wakes me up early and he doesn’t even know it’s Xmas, let alone expect to be opening any special presents this morning. On the other hand he expects me to (let him out to) deal with the fox or badger walking down the road in the dead of night….Thankfully the family are all still sleeping, and since we’ve mostly negotiated present-giving DMZs with each other over the years, the number of gifts awaiting our attention today is minimal. Just the turkey to be hit with the Lepanto, later….
  • Options
    The US military agency known for tracking Santa Claus as he delivers presents on Christmas Eve does not expect Covid-19 or the “bomb cyclone” winter storm affecting large parts of North America to affect present delivery.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command, or Norad, is responsible for monitoring and defending the skies above North America. But the agency based in Colorado Springs also runs the Norad Tracks Santa service, which allows people to follow his Christmas journey through its website, social media channels and a mobile app.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Meanwhile in Cornwall…. A vintage armoured vehicle filled with Santas had to be freed by police after getting stuck in a Cornish lane.

The Santas, who were believed to be on a pub crawl, got wedged in a hedge at Marsh Lane, near Hayle. Devon and Cornwall police were called at about 7.40pm on Thursday after reports that a vehicle had been damaged. No one was arrested.

[A resident] said the Santas were on their annual pub crawl. “They shot past me singing and we later found them stuck where the lane narrows. They were quite tightly jammed but it says no parking. It was quite funny as they tried to free themselves.”

The footage shows the Santas struggling to move their old army vehicle down the narrow streets as onlookers reprimand them for attempting the manoeuvre.
  • Options
    Christmas Day 1989, the news was full of Romanian news, and the Ceaucescus were executed that day. Boxing Day 2004 saw the Indian Ocean earthquake and Indonesian tsunami.

Hopefully today’s news will just be the normal Christmas trivia and the new king’s speech.
  • Options
    Good morning and Merry Christmas, everyone.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Merry Christmas.

The mystery of the disappearance of my prized Lagouile corkscrew was solved last night in a late night confession by Fox Jr2. I knew he had something to do with it. Too late alas for Santa to address the wine opening crisis.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591
    Merry Christmas everyone.
    We are having pheasant cooked in cider for lunch. We can only use the hob as my oven broke in November and useless Hotpoint haven't fixed it yet.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Happy Christmas everyone.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    SandraMc said:

We are having pheasant cooked in cider for lunch. We can only use the hob as my oven broke in November and useless Hotpoint haven't fixed it yet.

Similar crisis here, oven blew mid December, new one arriving in Jan. Turkey being roasted by Fox Jr and his partner. I guess the baton has been passed to the next generation.
  • Options
    A very Merry Christmas to everyone, and peace and happiness to you and all your families today.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 591
    Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

Similar crisis here, oven blew mid December, new one arriving in Jan. Turkey being roasted by Fox Jr and his partner. I guess the baton has been passed to the next generation.
    My hairdresser, who lives a few minutes drive away, did kindly offer to let us use her oven as she and her family were going out to lunch. We thought about it but decided to go for the simpler pheasant pot roast option.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas one & all - however you vote - and do vote!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

The bantam has also been passed…..?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Happy Road Test and Tune Day. No traffic at all this morning for the traditional full send. 161mph at the top of 5th @ 18psi boost.

Pissing down and cold tyres. 😨😨😨
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    For the Grinches who do not like Christmas, and those who do not find the festive season very festive:

BAH HUMBUG!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Merry Christmas to everyone.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    For everyone else:

Merry Christmas, you gits! :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

SandraMc said:

The bantam has also been passed…..?
    Perhaps you should "poulet" your efforts?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Happy Christmas all and thanks Mike.

Have Covid. Had no idea but thought it best to test before seeing aged family.

A lot of me time today as a result. Could be worse; the sock drawer won't tidy itself.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,375
    Merry Christmas to all PB commenters, mods, crossword compilers, site proprietors, and road traffic law recidivists, each and every one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,375
    TOPPING said:

A lot of me time today as a result. Could be worse; the sock drawer won't tidy itself.

Commiserations. I did a Christmas with flu pre Covid, and it's not much fun.
    Hope it stays a mild case for you.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Merry Christmas all. Hope Santa was good to you.
    Here’s a present list for our political leaders:
    Rishi Sunak - a backbone to stand up to the ERG.
    Keir Starmer - a personality.
    Ed Davey - a by election in a favourable constituency.
    Nicola Sturgeon - some humility.
    Mark Drakeford - some water to walk on.
    Nigel Farage - a one way ticket to somewhere far away.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    OT I have this morning binge-watched A Spy Among Friends on ITVX aka ITV hub
    https://www.itv.com/watch/a-spy-among-friends/2a7931/2a7931a0006

It is a fictionalised account of Kim Philby's flight to Moscow and its aftermath. Enjoyable but you probably need to know the outline of the Cambridge Spies story.
  • Options
    Move Mrs Hamster, I cry
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Commiserations. I did a Christmas with flu pre Covid, and it's not much fun.
    Hope it stays a mild case for you.
    Thank you very much I am actually like those proverbial instances when the person didn't realise they have it. Long may it continue...
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year (we can hope).
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,253
    Merry Christmas one and all.

Thank you @MikeSmithson for running such an excellent site and for the other contributors especially @TSE and @rcs1000

I am as far from convinced as others that 2023 won't see a General Election. And I think you know by now my views as to who will win it :smiley:

xx
  • Options
    The nonce Andrew kept out of the speech I note
This discussion has been closed.