Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Ipsos 2023 predictions poll – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,048
edited December 2022 in General
imageThe Ipsos 2023 predictions poll – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Greetings all!

What a deeply penetrating pleasure it is being back in the UK after a month in southern India - except for the freezing conditions, exacerbated by our boiler losing pressure! But it's been re-filled and working OK since last night.

Thought the football would be on at 7pm instead, but only noticed it was on because of @DecrepiterJohnL :)
  • Some of those responses show how little a significant section of the population know about politics or the mechanisms within public affairs.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,736
    So. the public think Rishi will be gone as PM with a general election next year.

But he won't be replaced by Starmer.

Buckle up.....
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632

So. the public think Rishi will be gone as PM with a general election next year.

Buckle up.....

Hey, I'd take Ed Davey over a Johnson/Corbyn return...
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026

Buckle up.....

Yes, that's what I noticed!
    But I think the British public are misled about a lot of these. I think there is a lot less than a 56% chance of a footballer coming out as gay, and much less than a 64% chance of a general strike. And much, much less than a 59% chance of one of England, Scotland or Wales winning the world cup.
    ydoethur said:

Buckle up.....

Hey, I'd take Ed Davey over a Johnson/Corbyn return...
    I was thinking more...

Oh. Jeremy Corbyn...
    FPT, replying to Roger on Pisa:

Some lovely restaurants there too.

The Leaning Tower and the surrounding Piazza dei Miracoli should be on everyone's bucket list.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534
    OT, but I thought this was quite well written https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/12/12/the-strange-case-of-britains-demise

"The strange case of Britain’s demise
    A country that prided itself on stability has seemed to be in free-fall. Whodunnit?"

Or https://archive.vn/fI8Zp if you're a cheapskate.
  • Croatia go 2-1 up just before half-time.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    edited December 2022

Buckle up.....

We’ve all forgotten what it’s like to have a fairly boring government with a good majority.

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,242

Greetings all!

What a deeply penetrating pleasure it is being back in the UK after a month in southern India - except for the freezing conditions, exacerbated by our boiler losing pressure! But it's been re-filled and working OK since last night.

Thought the football would be on at 7pm instead, but only noticed it was on because of @DecrepiterJohnL :)

I’m thinking of taking in South India on my next jaunt. Any recommendations?
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    Cookie said:

Buckle up.....

Yes, that's what I noticed!
    But I think the British public are misled about a lot of these. I think there is a lot less than a 56% chance of a footballer coming out as gay, and much less than a 64% chance of a general strike. And much, much less than a 59% chance of one of England, Scotland or Wales winning the world cup.
    Is a general strike even lawful these days?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

The Leaning Tower and the surrounding Piazza dei Miracoli should be on everyone's bucket list.

It's worthwhile to stay a night or two. All the tourist coaches depart, and it's quite pleasant, and good value. Also you can walk to the airport. Fly into Florence, train to Pisa, fly back from Pisa is a nice short break, especially out of season.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,575
    Leon said:

Greetings all!

Don’t come back.
    carnforth said:

It's worthwhile to stay a night or two. All the tourist coaches depart, and it's quite pleasant, and good value. Also you can walk to the airport. Fly into Florence, train to Pisa, fly back from Pisa is a nice short break, especially out of season.
    Flying to Pisa instead of Florence is an excellent idea. Pisa is a nicer smaller airport. And almost walkable from downtown Pisa
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    It just goes to show that the average person is clueless.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,575
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Flying to Pisa instead of Florence is an excellent idea. Pisa is a nicer smaller airport. And almost walkable from downtown Pisa
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

But who would want to be in Pisa, surrounded by Italians selling tat, when they could be in Florence?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    ohnotnow said:

OT, but I thought this was quite well written https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/12/12/the-strange-case-of-britains-demise

A country that prided itself on stability has seemed to be in free-fall. Whodunnit?"

It's a bit overblown. Compared to most times and places, we still live in paradise. Western economies have all (with the exception of commodity producers) seen real wages outside of the elite stagnate, compared to the 1950-2000 period.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

But who would want to be in Pisa, surrounded by Italians selling tat, when they could be in Florence?
    Surrounded by Americans buying bad pasta?
    Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

It's a bit overblown. Compared to most times and places, we still live in paradise. Western economies have all (with the exception of commodity producers) seen real wages outside of the elite stagnate, compared to the 1950-2000 period.
    We seem intent on decline now, tho
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

There's something in that, but there does still seem to have been a notable increase in services failing, and economic trouble above that of comparators.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    Matt Hancock will come out as gay
    Matt Hancock will win the 2023 FIFA World Cup
    Matt Hancock will appear on Strictly Come Dancing
    Matt Hancock will cease to function
    Elon Musk will win the 2023 Rugby World Cup
  • Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

We seem intent on decline now, tho
    Where does one head to avoid this? Asia?
    Chris said:

Sorry that last one should have read:
    Matt Hancock will win the 2023 Rugby World Cup
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,472
    FPT:
    Ukraine now has Brimstone 2 missiles. Looks like they've had them for a few weeks already.
    https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1604129513918676993?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(missile)
  • Chris said:

Chris said:

Nah you were correct first time around, South African's just much better at rugby.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Train from Pisa to Florence is cheap and pretty quick. We did the train from Pisa to Florence, Cortona and then Rome. Very easy and cheap.
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Firenze is a whole different level of selling.

My wife did manage to acquire a stalker in Pisa. A very wealthy guy from New Mexico, just would not take no for an answer.

Chris said:

Chris said:

Nah you were correct first time around, South African's just much better at rugby.
    I'm just not sure Elon Musk is that much of a team player.
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Matt Hancock and Elon Musk will together win the RWC, then come out as gay by stripping naked and buggering each other mid pitch before appearing on Strictly Come Dancing and then ceasing to function.
    59% (22+21+16) for Rugby World cup winner not being New Zealand, Australia, South Africa or Ireland let alone a few percent allowed for any of the minnows seems nuts, but then of course the questions would have been asked independently of each other so I guess you can't expect them to add up.

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Firenze is a whole different level of selling.

My wife did manage to acquire a stalker in Pisa. A very wealthy guy from New Mexico, just would not take no for an answer.
    Does she keep him in the spare room?
  • Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

The conclusion of the piece is a bit glib and less clever than it thinks, like a lot of the content of the Economist. I don't think it's overblown. If anything I think it doesn't quite do enough to capture the depths of our malaise.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Matt Hancock and Elon Musk will together win the RWC, then come out as gay by stripping naked and buggering each other mid pitch before appearing on Strictly Come Dancing and then ceasing to function.
    And no one will ever hear about it, because anyone who says anything will be banned from Twitter.
  • The ref is making the Croatia Morroco game poorer by not showing yellow cards - Yes its the third place play off but defenders are just fouling any breakaway knowing they will not be booked- means it is only a good game not a great one
  • So. the public think Rishi will be gone as PM with a general election next year.

Buckle up.....

I don't think that will happen but, if it does, that makes laying Starmer as next PM excellent value.

Which I've done.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

There is a light rail shuttle thingy from the airport to the railway station. Here, you can use the left luggage facilities while visiting sights.

I have stayed in the NH Hotel by the station a couple of times on work trips - recommended.

Also recommended, Ristorante buca di san Ranieri, not far from there.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Greetings all!

Don’t come back.
    As well as being a bit rude for a pleasant Saturday afternoon, it won’t stop him posting on PB so also pointless…

Leon said:

carnforth said:

There is a light rail shuttle thingy from the airport to the railway station. Here, you can use the left luggage facilities while visiting sights.

I have stayed in the NH Hotel by the station a couple of times on work trips - recommended.

Actually you’re right. Firenze airport is much improved with the light rail

I rescind my advice. Tho Pisa is still a fun little airport
  • Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Unlike most on here I'm with you.

I think Britons are never happier than when they believe they are doomed.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

I was talking about Pisa!
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    edited December 2022

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

The conclusion of the piece is a bit glib and less clever than it thinks, like a lot of the content of the Economist. I don't think it's overblown. If anything I think it doesn't quite do enough to capture the depths of our malaise.
    Yes, that was my take.

The “good” news, is that there are now a plethora of these pieces and one hopes they signify an evolution in elite consensus which in time will drive improvement.

It means slaying several sacred cows; not just Brexit of course (already on its deathbed) but also aspects of Thatcherism and “NHSism”.

One perverse positive these pieces never mention is that now that Britain has fallen quite a way behind that the potential for catch-up is greater too.

There’s no inherent and eternal reason for Britain to be poorer than its peers.

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

I was talking about Pisa!
    Then everything is true and all are happy
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Train from Pisa to Florence is cheap and pretty quick. We did the train from Pisa to Florence, Cortona and then Rome. Very easy and cheap.
    Pisa to Florence, loco-hauled double-decker coaching stock.

FPT:
    Ukraine now has Brimstone 2 missiles. Looks like they've had them for a few weeks already.
    https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1604129513918676993?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(missile)

Hoping Santa brings them a mass of interesting new toys.

Putin will be watching his arrival via the NORAD tracker with unusual interest.

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

The “good” news, is that there are now a plethora of these pieces and one hopes they signify an evolution in elite consensus which in time will drive improvement.

It means slaying several sacred cows; not just Brexit of course (already on its deathbed) but also aspects of Thatcherism and “NHSism”.

One perverse positive these pieces never mention is that now that Britain has fallen quite a way behind that the potential for catch-up is greater too.

It’s positively anomalous. Since about the 9th century the English peasant has been noticeably richer than the average continental (with some major hiccups of course)

That only faltered post WW2, and was then amended - but now we sink again
  • Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

The Economist is the house journal of the internationally well-to-do liberal elite.

If it's not pursuing the policies that suit them then it tends to fall far too easily into hyperbole.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    VAR being rubbish again.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Just logged on, and saw this at top of thread.

Reminds me of the time I visited Florence, the tourist trap part by the main train station, for about half-hour. Only time I was ever in there.

Sorta. Cause I caught a train to Pisa . . . and almost immediately realized I'd left my backpack at the checked luggage office in Florence station. So got off the train at next stop (not far) and hung out in a rather dreary semi-slumish area for next train back into town (hoping no ticket inspector accosted me) reclaimed my impedimenta then got NEXT train to Pisa.

Which I like a LOT better than Florence, despite fact that train station was occupied by what appeared to be paratroopers (hard to tell with Italian love of uniforms). Turned out there was a big anti-war demo sched. for next day (this was just before W (with assist from TB) launched Iraq invasion.

Likely helped that it was February, but Pisa was not over-clogged with tourists or touts. And small enough to walk around much of the city, the old part anyway, in a day or so. As I recall, they were still working to stabilize the Leaning Tower.

Even at my low level of near-total cluelessness, knowing virtually no Italian and experiencing the country for less than a week, can testify to the existence and (at least some of the pleasures) of La Dolce Vita!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,360
    The HuffPost UK Saturday read on whether Rishi Sunak is gearing up for another U-turn, this time on nurses' pay.

"Do they think ‘crush the nurses’ is a viable strategy for the country or a good look? He’s just going to end up looking weak again."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/will-rishi-sunak-compromise-to-end-nurses-strike_uk_639c231de4b0441430461c15
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Scott_xP said:

The HuffPost UK Saturday read on whether Rishi Sunak is gearing up for another U-turn, this time on nurses' pay.

"Do they think ‘crush the nurses’ is a viable strategy for the country or a good look? He’s just going to end up looking weak again."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/will-rishi-sunak-compromise-to-end-nurses-strike_uk_639c231de4b0441430461c15

Where's MoonRabbit?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    Scott_xP said:

Since when is coming to a negotiated solution a U-turn? Unless of course they get the eye-watering 20% pay rise that was their opening offer.
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Since when is coming to a negotiated solution a U-turn? Unless of course they get the eye-watering 20% pay rise that was their opening offer.
    When you are already weak, every compromise becomes confirmation of that weakness, even when that is not fair. People are simply predisposed to see every story about the Tories in a negative light right now.
    Germany's first LNG terminal will go operational today in Wilhelmshaven. Only 7 months passed from the decision to the realization.

Well done, Putin. Master strategist.
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

When you are already weak, every compromise becomes confirmation of that weakness, even when that is not fair. People are simply predisposed to see every story about the Tories in a negative light right now.
    The government's crap, but I don't think it would damage their standing any further by reaching such a compromise.
  • Poland's highest ranking police officer has confirmed to local media that he accidentally set off a grenade launcher given to him as a gift by Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64010682
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    Scott_xP said:

I think they'll settle with the angels but hang tough on the trains.
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

It’s positively anomalous. Since about the 9th century the English peasant has been noticeably richer than the average continental (with some major hiccups of course)

Again, all the "Sick Man of Europe" nonsense was massively overblown in the Sixties and Seventies and Eighties. Poverty, as it was traditionally understood, was pretty well eliminated from this country after WW2. Anyone alive in 2000 was way better off than anyone alive in 1945.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

OK OK. We believe you've really been to Florence and Pisa.
    edited December 2022
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Again, all the "Sick Man of Europe" nonsense was massively overblown in the Sixties and Seventies and Eighties. Poverty, as it was traditionally understood, was pretty well eliminated from this country after WW2. Anyone alive in 2000 was way better off than anyone alive in 1945.
    This is just declinist copium.

That life is better than the exhausted and war-torn Britain of 1945 is just not good enough.

I don’t know whether the sick-manism was overblown. Here’s British ambassador to Paris Sir Nicholas Henderson in 1979:

“You only have to move around western Europe nowadays to realise how poor and unproud the British have become in relation to their neighbours…It shows in the look of our towns, in our airports, in our hospitals and in local amenities; it is painfully apparent in much of our railway system.”

• Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Also, the period from 1950-2000 was pretty unique in human history.

You had a good chunk of the world under the repressive yoke of communism, and the rest as dirt poor third world countries.

It's not surprising that a handful of Western countries prospered year after year in such an environment, particularly since they had a virtual monopoly on emergent technology over that time.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Barclay says its the pay review board* or nothing and refuses to meet with the union. Is negotiating a revised pay deal not the opposite of this?

*The fact the pay review relied on inflation stats from November 2021 forcing through its current recommendations seems particularly dodgy.
    🔵 Tory members are furious about the loss of Boris Johnson, the party’s former chairman has said https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/12/17/conservative-party-members-quite-cross-insanity-ousting-boris/
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I think they'll settle with the angels but hang tough on the trains.
    Matthew Parris' column in The Times today is exactly this.

Screw the train drivers, pay the nurses.

He argues that is the 'Conservative' thing to do, as the supply of train drivers is not constrained by wages, but the supply of nurses is.
    The UK went through systemic low investment for a lot of the sixties and seventies, when it was grappling with the transition away from empire and old energy providers, unstable prices and industrial unrest. It certainly did make people think it was falling behind Germany and even Italy, but things seemed to reverse afterwards and nowadays there's not much in the difference between the rich European countries. One big difference is that, speaking English and having a temperate oceanic climate, the UK is far more attractive to low-wage migration than its chilly peers.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594
    Scott_xP said:

🔵 Tory members are furious about the loss of Boris Johnson, the party’s former chairman has said https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/12/17/conservative-party-members-quite-cross-insanity-ousting-boris/

Good, let the hate flow through them and into Nige's Reform...
  • Poland's highest ranking police officer has confirmed to local media that he accidentally set off a grenade launcher given to him as a gift by Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64010682

Giving someone a grenade launcher - what could possibly go wrong?
    edited December 2022
    EPG said:

The UK went through systemic low investment for a lot of the sixties and seventies, when it was grappling with the transition away from empire and old energy providers, unstable prices and industrial unrest. It certainly did make people think it was falling behind Germany and even Italy, but things seemed to reverse afterwards and nowadays there's not much in the difference between the rich European countries. One big difference is that, speaking English and having a temperate oceanic climate, the UK is far more attractive to low-wage migration than its chilly peers.

You think immigrants move to the UK for the climate?
  • Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

That life is better than the exhausted and war-torn Britain of 1945 is just not good enough.

I don’t know whether the sick-manism was overblown. Here’s British ambassador to Paris Sir Nicholas Henderson in 1979:

“You only have to move around western Europe nowadays to realise how poor and unproud the British have become in relation to their neighbours…It shows in the look of our towns, in our airports, in our hospitals and in local amenities; it is painfully apparent in much of our railway system.”

As far as you're concerned Britain was finished as a nation as soon as it voted for Brexit.

You scratch around for any evidence that supports this thesis, however tenuous, and turn it up to 11 and dismiss the rest.
    edited December 2022
    Scott_xP said:

He's talking a load of nonsense, and he includes at least one outright lie. So it can be dismissed as a malcontented backbencher.

Tory members are furious about the loss of Boris Johnson, the party’s former chairman has said, as he warns the Conservatives will struggle at local elections if they cannot rely on activists to knock on doors.

Classic overestimate of how much benefit there is to activists knocking on doors. Standard sucking up to members.

Sir Jake Berry said grassroots campaigners have become disillusioned following the “insanity” of ousting Mr Johnson earlier this year, combined with their “perceived disenfranchisement” after Liz Truss was driven from Downing Street.

They need to get the f*ck over it. How bloody entitled do they have to be to think that after a historic plunge in party support that there was time to run another contest? Why are Tory Members, who have only been able to vote in leader's contests for less than 20 years, acting like it is an inviolable principle?

The answer is they want special privileges for their membership now.

In an interview with The Telegraph, he said it “should be a matter of deep concern” that membership of the Conservative Party has dropped significantly in recent years.

This show he is a liar. According to this research briefing on party membership,k the Tories estimated for September 2022, whilst slightly down on 2019, was significantly higher than in 2018, and higher than any previously reported figure since 2008 (since parties do not have to release figures there is not a figure for every year).

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05125/

Given the trend of party memberships declining, barely dented despite big increased for Labour and the SNP in the last decade, his concern is at best misplaced.

EPG said:

Migration for climate reasons is a pretty well established phenomenon. It's why the southern states of the US gained population after the invention of air conditioning. So even if pay is better in some chilly Nordic city where the locals all speak English anyway, the UK is still more attractive.

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Is life better when you have one cow, but your neighbour has none?

Or when you have nine cows but your neighbour has ten?

The UK has been in "decline" relative to everyone else since about 1870. But, who would wish to revert to the position of 1870?
    edited December 2022

EPG said:

Warm but not blistering summers, mild winters, frequent rainfall, it's pretty decent as climates go, even with more extreme occurences than there used to be.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,330

EPG said:

No, they move here because it remains one of the easiest places in Europe to find a job, even if you are an outsider without family connections, because this is a tolerant and open minded country, because we speak English and because, for all the moaning and grumbling, this is a great place to live.

The fact that 500k immigrants a year have absolutely no problem seeing that really should make the doomsters pause in their Brexit lamentations.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

The UK has been in "decline" relative to everyone else since about 1870. But, who would wish to revert to the position of 1870?
    The Green Party I imagine.

But I do think we have become a bit too used to things being low grade crappy, and we could be more dynamic in seeking to address that without going full Truss fantasy land.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

But I do think we have become a bit too used to things being low grade crappy, and we could be more dynamic in seeking to address that without going full Truss fantasy land.
    The Greens would hate 1870. All that coal?!!

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Reminds me of the time I visited Florence, the tourist trap part by the main train station, for about half-hour. Only time I was ever in there.

Sorta. Cause I caught a train to Pisa . . . and almost immediately realized I'd left my backpack at the checked luggage office in Florence station. So got off the train at next stop (not far) and hung out in a rather dreary semi-slumish area for next train back into town (hoping no ticket inspector accosted me) reclaimed my impedimenta then got NEXT train to Pisa.

Which I like a LOT better than Florence, despite fact that train station was occupied by what appeared to be paratroopers (hard to tell with Italian love of uniforms). Turned out there was a big anti-war demo sched. for next day (this was just before W (with assist from TB) launched Iraq invasion.

Likely helped that it was February, but Pisa was not over-clogged with tourists or touts. And small enough to walk around much of the city, the old part anyway, in a day or so. As I recall, they were still working to stabilize the Leaning Tower.

Even at my low level of near-total cluelessness, knowing virtually no Italian and experiencing the country for less than a week, can testify to the existence and (at least some of the pleasures) of La Dolce Vita!
    I went to Pisa and Florence in Feb 2006.
    Pisa is worth a trip, but the historical core is very very small. You can 'do' Pisa in an afternoon.
    Florence, meanwhile, was fantastic. Astonishingly cold, but the February cold kept the tourista away, a bit. Certainly didn't feel over-touristed. I was there for four days and it wasn't enough.
    I know there's nothing revolutionary about liking well-known tourist hotspots, but there it is: for me, it more than lived up to its reputation.
    I see David Cameron is to take up a lecturing job at a university in Abu Dhabi:
    https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/david-cameron-start-teaching-post-abu-dhabi-university

"So, Mr Cameron, what first attracted you to the stupendously wealthy United Arab Emirates?
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Well, they probably want to go back before the industrial revolution entirely, but given the actual ideology of our Green Party I didn't think they'd want to go back to a time before Das Kapital.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

It’s a very long time since I reread the rise and fall of the great powers but I vaguely recall a chart indicating that about 1850 the UK had something like 50% of the worlds industrial output. Way, way above the level of dominance that China has today.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Well, they probably want to go back before the industrial revolution entirely, but given the actual ideology of our Green Party I didn't think they'd want to go back to a time before Das Kapital.
    Logical, especially as going back to a time before we burned coal would mean going back to pre-human times...
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

Warm but not blistering summers, mild winters, frequent rainfall, it's pretty decent as climates go, even with more extreme occurences than there used to be.
    We may not have a lot of really great weather. But you'd struggle to find many places with less terrible weather.
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

It’s a very long time since I reread the rise and fall of the great powers but I vaguely recall a chart indicating that about 1850 the UK had something like 50% of the worlds industrial output. Way, way above the level of dominance that China has today.
    Yes, but scale does matter as well, of course.

For an example that might please our other Scottish posters, there was a time when 99% of all the world's aluminium was produced in just one factory - Foyers, on the shores of Loch Ness.
    DavidL said:

EPG said:

No, they move here because it remains one of the easiest places in Europe to find a job, even if you are an outsider without family connections, because this is a tolerant and open minded country, because we speak English and because, for all the moaning and grumbling, this is a great place to live.

The fact that 500k immigrants a year have absolutely no problem seeing that really should make the doomsters pause in their Brexit lamentations.
    "Rocketing Immigration Proves Brexit is a Success - claims Lone Remaining Brexiteer".
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    edited December 2022
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

The Greens would prefer that nobody had any cows. All that meat and methane!

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

We will beef ine without them.
    Chris said:

I see David Cameron is to take up a lecturing job at a university in Abu Dhabi:
    https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/david-cameron-start-teaching-post-abu-dhabi-university

"So, Mr Cameron, what first attracted you to the stupendously wealthy United Arab Emirates?

David Cameron seems to have mastered being an ex-PM less well than most. A pity, since I think be was, for me, the best PM of my adulthood.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

For an example that might please our other Scottish posters, there was a time when 99% of all the world's aluminium was produced in just one factory - Foyers, on the shores of Loch Ness.
    And now Loch Ness is a tourist trap for rich Chinese taking boat trips in the hope of seeing “the monster “. Sad.
    Off-topic:

The trailer for the Barbie film is genius, especially when screened at the same time as another film:

https://twitter.com/MatthewGaydos/status/1603810520003317761
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Evening - or morning? - SS! Must be this work you were talking about:

https://www.geological-digressions.com/the-leaning-tower-of-pisa/

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

There does seem to be a small group of people who get a bit rosy eyed about pre-agricultural life being blissful harmony and plenty. I recall reading one of Yuval Noah Harari's books, and whilst he was making a point about the downsides of people being tied to the land and their level of health/wealth throughout history, it definitely seemed to include an element of seeing hunter gathering as some idealised state, despite him putting some caveats on that impression.
    edited December 2022

Off-topic:

The trailer for the Barbie film is genius, especially when screened at the same time as another film:

I'm not sure it's genius to just copy the style of something else (and without seeking to disguise it in fairness), but it is amusing and striking.
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

"Rocketing Immigration Proves Brexit is a Success - claims Lone Remaining Brexiteer".
    The level of denial on here helps explain the problem. For many, it seems that because the UK no longer sends small children up children, we should be grateful.

Thatcher would have given such notions incredibly short shrift.
    kle4 said:

Off-topic:

I'm not sure it's genius to just copy the style of something else (and without seeking to disguise it in fairness), but it is amusing and striking.
    It's genius because there's zero way I would have taken notice of a film about Barbie, whatever its artistic merits may be. Now I've noticed it.
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

The lack of sunlight is one of the main gripes immigrants (and many of the natives) have with the UK, and the problem gets worse the further north and west you go.

The idea that migrants are dying to come to Britain to take advantage of summers in Mablethorpe is one of the most stupid ideas I’ve read on here. It reads as self-parody.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

And even today nearly all internationally traded bananas are of Derbyshire ancestry.
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Sure. Too many people in public life are useless, including the current government, and priorities are skewed towards protecting the interests of well to do pensioners.

That doesn't make things the end of days.
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

Ach, I knew it was a mistake to mention the B word as soon as I posted that. Pavlovian.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

ohnotnow said:

Yes, that was my take.

Similar stat re petroleum at one time: the West Lothian oil fields. Remember [edit, sorry] @DavidL and I were talking about torbanite and the court case it prompted and [edit] he was a bit surprised how seriously it was taken at the time? That sort of stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07cb31r
    https://www.lyellcollection.org/doi/10.1144/sp465.13 (alas not open access but the abstract gives the nub)

This discussion has been closed.