Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Prince Andrew on a net minus 79% in latest Royal Ratings – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    The fun thing about the strikes - all of them - is that however damaging and disruptive they are, the public support the workers more than they do the government and the right wing shills. Its not the 1980s any more, and furlough demonstrated that the government can and should directly intervene with employment issues when they are strategic.

Its very simple. People are working full time and can't afford to pay their bills. This isn't merely a heating or eating issue, this is the current working form of capitalism failing to do its basic task. Never mind hiding and blaming the unions, the government should be trying to kick the can down the road a bit further to shore up their preferred economic system.

Capitalism is simple. People do a job. Have money left over to spend. Which gives other people a job. Business owners profit from those jobs. Invest in more jobs. It all falls apart when the people doing the jobs don't even have enough money to pay their bills, never mind spend money on other things.

This is a crisis of capitalism. At least of this bankism form of capitalism.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Personally I'd like to see Harry come out a declare he wants to bring an end to the monarchy entirely. I mean, he obviously hates the institution from his experience of it, and it's not as though former royals have never won elected office before, and being in a low key war with your own brother about unconscious bias in the royal household and negative briefing to the press etc is not going to sustain our thirst for royalist entertainment for that long. All out war, come on.

Why would he? If he ceased to have any royal connections Netflix would cancel all deals and their big paid speech engagements end. Without his place in the line of succession he is just a low ranked ex army officer with poor A Levels and not even top rank in the Spencer family who married a C-list actress who wanted to advance her social status
    Douglas Murray brilliantly pointed out the contradiction of Harry and Meghan's position; they try and appeal to the 'woke' zeitgeist; yet in the end, the royal family and everything the monarchy stands for is the absolute antithesis of it, because it represents a system of unearned privilege. The logical conclusion of their position is, as kle4 says, abolition; yet that would mean the destruction of the whole basis of their celebrity and popular appeal.
    I don't believe so many people think positively about Harry and Meghan. I havent met anyone who does.
    Mrs Foxy and I are in that minority.
    Yeah me too. They're okay.

She's quite an attention seeker and the recent series was boring imho but I think they have a point or two to make. Harry's a damaged individual. I bet the racist allegations are true. The royal family treated Diana despicably. Charles was evidently never in love with her and carried on with Camilla all the way through. The Queen protected Andrew more than Harry and Meghan. History keeps repeating itself.

So I don't have any problem with Harry and Meghan deciding to get out and have a decent life outwith the corrupt royals.
    You obviously think.its okay to betray your own family. I think their behaviour is excreable
    It seems clear that Harry thinks the family - and the whole establishment - betrayed his mother. But lets take your statement at face value. Man does Bad Thing shock. How is Harry any different to anyone else?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Personally I'd like to see Harry come out a declare he wants to bring an end to the monarchy entirely. I mean, he obviously hates the institution from his experience of it, and it's not as though former royals have never won elected office before, and being in a low key war with your own brother about unconscious bias in the royal household and negative briefing to the press etc is not going to sustain our thirst for royalist entertainment for that long. All out war, come on.

Why would he? If he ceased to have any royal connections Netflix would cancel all deals and their big paid speech engagements end. Without his place in the line of succession he is just a low ranked ex army officer with poor A Levels and not even top rank in the Spencer family who married a C-list actress who wanted to advance her social status
    Douglas Murray brilliantly pointed out the contradiction of Harry and Meghan's position; they try and appeal to the 'woke' zeitgeist; yet in the end, the royal family and everything the monarchy stands for is the absolute antithesis of it, because it represents a system of unearned privilege. The logical conclusion of their position is, as kle4 says, abolition; yet that would mean the destruction of the whole basis of their celebrity and popular appeal.
    I don't believe so many people think positively about Harry and Meghan. I havent met anyone who does.
    Mrs Foxy and I are in that minority.
    Yeah me too. They're okay.

She's quite an attention seeker and the recent series was boring imho but I think they have a point or two to make. Harry's a damaged individual. I bet the racist allegations are true. The royal family treated Diana despicably. Charles was evidently never in love with her and carried on with Camilla all the way through. The Queen protected Andrew more than Harry and Meghan. History keeps repeating itself.

So I don't have any problem with Harry and Meghan deciding to get out and have a decent life outwith the corrupt royals.
    You obviously think.its okay to betray your own family. I think their behaviour is excreable
    I struggle to see how Andrew was protected by The Queen. She sacked him over 3 years ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7710285/amp/Prince-Andrew-smiling-waving-breaks-cover-time-Queen-sacked-him.html

You can't expect her to never speak to him again and send him to Coventry, he's her son, but she didn't treat him with kid gloves.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Mick Lynch tearing the Today programme a new one this morning, most refreshing.

He sounds unreasonable to me.
    It's code for: Mick Lynch is saying things with passion I already strongly agreed with.
  • Options

Why did Microsoft just buy fiber optic cable company Lumenisity?
    When every nanosecond of latency counts, improvements in the physical layer matter

https://www.theregister.com/2022/12/13/microsoft_acquires_lumenisity/

And another British tech company is sold to America. Lumenisity was spun off from Southampton University five years ago. We need urgently to answer the question why homegrown industry can flourish in France, Germany or America but not this country.

Collectively, we'd rather take the money and spend it on ourselves now.
    Flog it now for an instant profit has been the downfall of British industry for decades. We are now so adverse to investment - especially long term - that it gets attacked as "subsidy". Which is why British infrastructure - roads, rails, power etc - are so shit compared to most of our competitor nations.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,862

Heathener said:

Personally I think the royal family is an anachronism that is no longer even quaint to go with it.

Either cut them down drastically or do away with them and their houses altogether. As a concession to the monarchists I'd keep Charles and his wife, the next in line and his or her children. End. The rest can lose all royal titles and go and get jobs.

Oh and the honours system is stuff and nonsense. That needs to go lock, stock, and barrel.

Vive la Revolution!

^This^

It is 2022. My response to polls about Prince Andrew is to wonder why Andrew York can't be arrested and investigated for deviance like you or I would be. Why Harry and Megan matter one little bit - its a reality TV show (and plenty of those happen without the need to be royal). And why anyone has a hereditary title.
    In Britain, shagging 17-year-olds is legal (there's some small print about teachers, scoutmasters and the like). In America, there is no Prince Andrew to arrest and he'd be well-advised to keep it that way. I expect his denial that he slept with anyone underage is technically correct, at least here, but perhaps not the whole truth.
    There is also the issue of trafficking and consent as well as age, but I think impossible to prove now to a level of beyond reasonable doubt.
This discussion has been closed.