Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ed Balls makes the 50 percent tax-rate the GE2015 dividing

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ed Balls makes the 50 percent tax-rate the GE2015 dividing line

The big announcement in this morning speech from Ed Balls was that a Labour government would reintroduce the 50% tax rate which was reduced to 45% in George Osborne’s March 2012 budget.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited January 2014
    First!

Edit: And yes, voters will probably fall for it. Most people are greedy and stupid.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    "Increase taxes to fix the mess Labour made!" Has a certain ring to it.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour's first big economic announcement, more taxes.

I think George will be quite happy with that
  • Options
    If they were going to put it up to 48% no problem. But 50% is actually 52% because of Gordon Browns 2% national insurance and taking more than half of someones earnings is a bit off unless they are earning obscene amounts.

They would be better off leaving the 45% alone and introducing a 90% rate for anyone earning more than £500,000 per year, effectively introducing a maximum wage.

Better still would be a land value tax to replace council tax, levied on all forms of land at a rate of 1% of the value of the land per year.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    The other problem with the Laffer curve argument is it risks making the rich look like the bad guys even more. To a lot of the men on the street the argument that "Higher taxes incentivise businessmen to invest abroad" sounds a lot like "The rich aren't willing to pay their share and are essentially holding us ransom".

Maybe some people dislike 'tax and spend Labour', but I reckon more people dislike the rich these days. Especially amongst the left anger against 'banksters' and so on is still a good source of support.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,058
    The context is the New York mayoral election, won by Bill de Blaisio on a left-wing populist platform by running against the legacy of Michael Bloomberg, America's closest equivalent to David Cameron. And, before that, a lot of economic research epitomised by Emmanuel Saez about concentration of income and slow-to-no real income gains for the median household since the 1980s. The consequence is that serious people no longer accept the merits of trickle-down theories. I personally think these analyses tend to ignore the fact that the median is affected by the growth since then of households comprising pensioners, single-adult and -parent households, immigrants, etc. Nonetheless, in practice, all these people are potential voters. The evidence from France is that 75% is too much, but 50% just isn't as harsh and it may not alienate high-earners in the same way.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    A challenge for the Tories is that whilst there maybe an argument that lowering tax rates increases the overall tax take this is a hard one to get across. It is hard to see political slogans based on the “Laffer curve” resonating.

The problem with the argument is that there isn't really any credible analysis that suggests the Laffer curve peaks at below 50%. David Cameron is smart enough to know this, which is why when interviewed about it he says he thinks the case should be made on a philosophical basis rather than a revenue-maximising one.
  • Options
    Got caught in the New Thread trap so going to repeat this point to Robert from previous thread

"rcs1000 said:
    While my views on open borders are well known, I think it's worth taking two minutes to peruse this piece: http://britishinfluence.org/13-reasons-taking-daily-mail-press-complaints-commission/"

Robert I would be very careful about posting lines from the fanatically pro-Eu British Influence.

As I pointed out the other day they are not above stating outright lies on their website to suport their warped view of the world.

In their 'myth-busting' posting a few days ago that TSE linked to they claimed that although we have a balance of trade deficit in goods with the EU, if you include services then we have a balance of trade surplus.

This is an outright lie. Including both goods and services our balance of trade deficit for 2012 (the last year we have Pink Book figures for) stands at £90 billion.

British Influence had already comprehensively lost the argument on trade with the EU before they were even formed which is why they have to resort to lies in the hope no one will actually check their figures.

Much as I think the mail is a rag, British Influence are no better when it comes to the truth.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Quincel said:

The other problem with the Laffer curve argument is it risks making the rich look like the bad guys even more.

I think the main problem is its lack of credibility. Even assuming massive behavioural effects the OBR (that's Osborne's independent OBR not some think tank) still estimated that the cut in the 50p rate would cost hundreds of millions. No evidence exists to contradict that (nor can there ever be seeing as we cant rerun recent history).
  • Options

If they were going to put it up to 48% no problem. But 50% is actually 52% because of Gordon Browns 2% national insurance and taking more than half of someones earnings is a bit off unless they are earning obscene amounts.

They would be better off leaving the 45% alone and introducing a 90% rate for anyone earning more than £500,000 per year, effectively introducing a maximum wage.

Better still would be a land value tax to replace council tax, levied on all forms of land at a rate of 1% of the value of the land per year.

On that basis most people in London and the South East would be homeless as they would be unable to pay the tax. Also almost every farm in Britain would go bankrupt and the National Trust would shut down.

Not the brightest idea in the world.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, everyone.

This line will go down well, generally, but it's not zero risk.

Labour saying they want to balance the books and run a surplus. Whilst an eyebrow-raising volte-face, they've so far committed to opposing almost every single cut the Coalition has made, and made a tax hike the centrepiece of their newly discovered sense of fiscal responsibility.

In short, they've opposed cuts and proposed tax hikes. You can't vote against a £26,000 cap on benefits, and then turn around and state you're in favour of balancing the books. Will Labour keep cuts A, B and C? What will they reverse?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Would it be easier if I just gave my earnings to the Government and they allocated me food vouchers?

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2014
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

A bigger issue is that UKIP doesn't yet have a particularly fixed political philosophy. It contains supporters (such as Paul Mid Beds) who believe in erecting trade barriers with every country on earth based on their relative wage rates.

It dosen't actually, as I am not a member of them (or any other party for that matter.), although I'm quite tempted to join, currently I have too many other responsibilities and am wary for professional reasons of being a member of a political party seen by the establishment as "fringe".

As for me previously supporting the lib dems, I don't recall doing so, although of the two halves of this coalition the libdems often seem to be the sanest, for example in blocking the no fault dismissal proposals in Beecroft.

As for erecting trade barriers with every country on earth based on their wage rates. I think I said that tariffs **not barriers** should be erected with countries that have median wage rates less than 80% of the UK, and those tariffs should be proporitional to the difference between said countries wage rate and UKs wage rate, which prevents countries undercutting ours by allowing dickensian wages and conditions for their workers, while allowing some flexibility in wages. (hence below 80% not below 100%)

Of course we currently have no sovereignty in this regard as the EU sets tariffs for us. If we left the EU our government would be free to trade on the terms they wish with who they wish. This will no doubt cause wailing and gnashing of teeth among empire loyalists (EU being the empire in question) but once you allow for a fact that a huge proportion of UK trade with the EU is trade with Ireland which we have separate trading agreements with anyway and trade with the rest of the world that leaves via places like Rotterdam so counts as EU trade because it goes via the EU, the picture changes somewhat.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    "The big announcement in this morning speech from Ed Balls was that a Labour government would reintroduce the 50% tax rate which was reduced to 45% in George Osborne’s March 2012 budget."

Ah yes, Osbrowne's omnishambles. It rings a bell. Biggest drop in tory polling this parliament.

Luckily most of the PB tories spotted the danger long before Cammie and Osbrowne were made a laughing stock. Only joking! Of course they didn't. They cheered on the omnishambles as Osbrowne's incompetence boosted labour and really kickstarted the kippers rise away from 5%. With soft tory voters self-evidently quite happy to start jumping ship over to Farage.

So that turned out well and had no lasting consequences.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/UK_opinion_polling_2010-2015.png

I wonder if the PB tories will have learned their lesson by now?

LOL

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Smart politics but I thought they'd announced it ages ago. It does put the LDs in a spot as their party conference voted - just- to keep the 45p rate. I imagine this would be an easy concession in a Lib/Lab discussion.

As Paul_mid_Beds says the more radical step would have been to go for the mansion / land value tax, instead of just reversing back to the status quo on an issue it's known the parties disagree on.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    All Balls's promise to raise the top rate of income tax will do is fill the Conservatives election war chest with private donations. Similarly Miliband's threats to intervene in major industries will bring in the corporate dollar.

Electorates judge economic competence and performance on the overall picture not individual details.

If the economy is growing faster than the UK's competitors; employment is at all time record levels; unemployment falling like a drunken teen after a Friday night of binge drinking; the deficit evaporating; inflation at an optimal level; house prices rising without creating a credit boom; factories in our major industries expanding and exporting; and, above all, real disposable incomes increasing as the recovery matures ...

.. then who will question decisions on tax rate banding?

Especially when official figures demonstrate both that the yield from a lower top rate is higher and that the proportion of overall tax paid by top rate payers has increased rather than decreased under this government.

Balls's top rate announcement is no more a credible economic policy than Miliband's energy price freeze was a credible industrial policy.

Populist empty headed posturing that takes its core electorate for fools.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Especially when official figures demonstrate both that the yield from a lower top rate is higher and that the proportion of overall tax paid by top rate payers has increased rather than decreased under this government.

There is no proof whatsoever of your first assertion and your second assertion proves nothing .. as I suspect you know.
  • Options

On that basis most people in London and the South East would be homeless as they would be unable to pay the tax. Also almost every farm in Britain would go bankrupt and the National Trust would shut down.

The rate he suggested is far too high, but it's certainly makes more economic sense than stamp duty.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    Here's one Hollande stunt I trust Ed does not follow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25895263#"
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    So let me work this one out ....

Labour set a giant elephant trap just before they left office, with a sign saying 'Danger, reducing this tax rate will cost you votes." Yet the Tories still went skipping into it. Now politicians may be self-serving hypocrites, but I assumed they were savvy about politics.

If politicians can't do politics, what use are they?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,058

FPT

rcs1000 said:

A bigger issue is that UKIP doesn't yet have a particularly fixed political philosophy. It contains supporters (such as Paul Mid Beds) who believe in erecting trade barriers with every country on earth based on their relative wage rates.

a huge proportion of UK trade with the EU is trade with Ireland which we have separate trading agreements with anyway

No, this has not been the case and would not be the case. Ireland will be behind the EU trade wall unless it leaves at the same time as the UK. Even if they did, politicians in each country would inevitably put up tariffs to help farmers and favoured industries.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The rate he suggested is far too high, but it's certainly makes more economic sense than stamp duty.
    I am not sure it does. Forcing people to sell their homes to pay a tax as opposed to levying a tax when they chose to make a sale seems completely unfair. Personally I think the main problem with Stamp Duty is that it is levied on the purchaser not the seller.

But a land tax on ones home would force people to sell their properties at a knock down price if they find they can no longer afford to pay the tax (for example if they lose their jobs or become ill)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

Quincel said:

The other problem with the Laffer curve argument is it risks making the rich look like the bad guys even more.

I think the main problem is its lack of credibility. Even assuming massive behavioural effects the OBR (that's Osborne's independent OBR not some think tank) still estimated that the cut in the 50p rate would cost hundreds of millions. No evidence exists to contradict that (nor can there ever be seeing as we cant rerun recent history).
    Neil

The Treasury interim report on the cost/benefit of a lower rate is positive. At present it is the most reliable analysis available. Chote's concerns relate more to the shifting of taxable income from 2012/13 to 2013/14 to take advantage of the new lower rate and the distortions this imposes on current analysis.

But my post is not about hard figures. It is about soft advantages.

There is definitely indirect evidence of low corporate and personal taxes attracting business to the UK. The most recent example to catch my eye was the decision by Chrysler and Fiat to locate the new headquarters of their merged company in the UK. The new companies shares will be traded on the NYSE and manufacturing will continue to be principally located in the US and Italy but the executives and head office will be here.

And it isn't the weather that caused this global conglomerate to come to our shores! Nor is it historical association with the UK of either party to the merger. It is applicable tax.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

But my post is not about hard figures. It is about soft advantages.

I noted the lack of yellow boxes.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited January 2014
    The 50p rate is a bloody good example of why this country is in such a bloody mess. Balls wants to raise if for political reasons, Osborne cut if for political reasons, and Darling introduced it for political reasons. Nobody seems to give a damn whether or not it actually makes fiscal and economic sense. In short the country was, is, and will be run by idiots putting politics way ahead of any economic sense.

Sometimes I really wish the whole of our political class would just drop dead.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Big Bucks and Annie Power running today. Big pointers to the festival.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I am not sure it does. Forcing people to sell their homes to pay a tax as opposed to levying a tax when they chose to make a sale seems completely unfair. Personally I think the main problem with Stamp Duty is that it is levied on the purchaser not the seller.

But a land tax on ones home would force people to sell their properties at a knock down price if they find they can no longer afford to pay the tax (for example if they lose their jobs or become ill)
    At an appropriate rate (say 0.1% or 0.05%), it would only be a few hundred pounds a year. This is a lot less than the cost of what you get added to a mortgage for arranging a new deal. For those very small number of cases where people with half million pound homes who can't afford £500, I'm sure the vast majority could be sorted out by remortgaging. Particularly as those with very high value homes are likely in the SE, and benefiting from enormous price inflation, so would have plenty of an equity cushion. For those very rare few that really do need to sell, you could arrange a system where they have 12-18 months to sell without penalty. That would prevent any knock-down prices.

Frankly I see it as far more unfair, not to mention bad for labour mobility, to charge people who are moving about more than those staying in one place, when they have the same amount of wealth and are using the same resources. It would also be far more progressive than the current system, as you can see by the graph on page 6 here: http://www.andywightman.com/docs/LVT_england_final.pdf . The change would also encourage people to reallocate our highly limited housing stock to the most efficient uses.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    glw said:

The 50p rate is a bloody good example of why this country is in such a bloody mess. Balls wants to raise if for political reasons, Osborne cut if for political reasons, and Darling introduced it for political reasons. Nobody seems to give a damn whether or not it actually makes fiscal and economic sense. In short the country was, is, and will be run by idiots putting politics way ahead of any economic sense.

If Osborne wanted to do it for political reasons,wouldn't he left it at 50p ? but on our political class,I totally agree ;-)

• Options
    Avery,

"Soft advantages" ?

If there was a good case for reducing a tax rate for the rich, it needed to be explained better. Start a discussion on the negative implications, get case histories where investment has been stopped because of it, explain that the tax take would be higher and give examples of other countries.

To just do it, and then fumble round for excuses to explain it ... Soft advantages! well, I'm with Mandy Rice Davies on this one.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

There is no proof whatsoever of your first assertion and your second assertion proves nothing .. as I suspect you know.
    I refer my learned Irish friend to the following document:

The Exchequer effect of the 50 per cent additional rate of income tax;

and its core conclusion:

The 50 per cent additional rate of income tax was introduced on 6 April 2010. It was the first increase in the highest rate of tax in the UK for over 30 years, and was expected to yield around £2.5 billion.

The conclusion that can be drawn from the Self Assessment data is therefore that the underlying yield from the additional rate is much lower than originally forecast (yielding around £1 billion or less), and that it is quite possible that it could be negative.

The report also describes how the impact of introducing the additional rate may extend well beyond the direct Exchequer impacts. In particular, other things equal, high tax rates in the UK make its tax system less competitive and make it a less attractive place to start, finance and grow a business. The longer the additional rate remains in place the more people are likely to consider it a permanent feature of the UK tax system and the more damaging it would be for competitiveness. This suggests the negative impact on GDP may increase over time, and therefore the direct yield (and revenues from other tax bases) might fall over time toward or beyond zero.

The 2012 eport was based on a single year of data and it was accepted that the behavioural impact of taxpayers shifting taxable income to avoid the higher rates distorted the source figures, but it is as good as we've got on the experience to date.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    I wish I was being threatened by Balls with a 50% tax rate , I would have a much higher Income than I have now and be a lot better off .
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    CD13 said:

So let me work this one out ....

Labour set a giant elephant trap just before they left office, with a sign saying 'Danger, reducing this tax rate will cost you votes." Yet the Tories still went skipping into it. Now politicians may be self-serving hypocrites, but I assumed they were savvy about politics.

If politicians can't do politics, what use are they?

Because they genuinely believed it was the right thing to do?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    EPG said:

No, this has not been the case and would not be the case. Ireland will be behind the EU trade wall unless it leaves at the same time as the UK

Er no. Free trade, free movement of labour and freedom to live in either country for each others citizens were included in the treaties which set up the Free State. That is why you can live and work in Ireland (and vice versa) including the right to vote in each others general elections if you live there (which EU citizens cannot do). To all intents and purpose UK and RoI citizens have honorary citizenship of each others countries. This was done quite deliberately in 1922 as neither side wanted the equivalent of the Inner German Border.

Any trade barriers between RoI and the UK would bankrupt RoI overnight, considerably damage the NI economy and probably reignite the "troubles".

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Lousy policy (the rich already shoulder the biggest share of the burden), good politics from Ed Balls.

How should the Conservatives respond? By pouring scorn on the viability of Labour's plans. Airy commitments to run a surplus in an undefined timescale (after having berated the current Government for having gone "too far, too fast") will not seem credible. This pledge will be popular but won't be seen by many as the solution to the country's deficit. The public will like the pledge, but doubt its substance. The Conservatives should proceed accordingly.

The interesting question is how the Lib Dems should respond.
  • Options
    Charles,

"Because they genuinely believed it was the right thing to do?"

That's the last thing anyway would accuse a politician of doing.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

All Balls's promise to raise the top rate of income tax will do is fill the Conservatives election war chest with private donations.

I'm sure that's the plan. Labour haven't made nearly enough of the people who fund the Tory party, and as wealthy financiers aren't seen as trustworthy or mainstream its easy to paint a rather vivid link between a Tory party representing the interests of the rich over the majority when its almost exclusively funded by the same Rich financiers who benefit from their policies.

The next election is class war. Where some of you make the mistake is that you think along old class lines in terms of middle class vs working class. No, the battle is along even older class lines - the bourgeoisie vs the proles, the 99% vs the 1%, the 85 vs half the world. That the 30 year free market (by which we do of course mean rigged market) experiment has been rumbled as the mass wealth transfer upwards is exactly the point.

Party funding is fair game apparently, judging from Cameron's McClusky tourettes problem. Labour funding from teachers and nurses and factory workers vs Tories funding from off shore hedge fund asset strippers - is that really the debate the Tories want to have with people generally hacked off at their lot?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

The 2012 eport was based on a single year of data and it was accepted that the behavioural impact of taxpayers shifting taxable income to avoid the higher rates distorted the source figures, but it is as good as we've got on the experience to date.

I've read the report, Avery. But we have no counterfactual, HMRC has no counterfactual, the OBR has no counterfactual .... there is no evidence available to peddle this line. The authors didnt seem to be aiming for the level of dry analysis or political impartiality that I feel civil servants should normally strive for (not that HMRC was particularly neutral between its establishment and 2010 either).
  • Options
    Charles,

I may be being unfair on politicians; there are the odd one or two who may have the country at heart, but Osborne wouldn't top anyone's list.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I've read the report, Avery. But we have no counterfactual, HMRC has no counterfactual, the OBR has no counterfactual .... there is no evidence available to peddle this line. The authors didnt seem to be aiming for the level of dry analysis or political impartiality that I feel civil servants should normally strive for (not that HMRC was particularly neutral between its establishment and 2010 either).
    You don't like the report's conclusions?

• Options
    edited January 2014

EPG said:

No, this has not been the case and would not be the case. Ireland will be behind the EU trade wall unless it leaves at the same time as the UK

Er no. Free trade, free movement of labour and freedom to live in either country for each others citizens were included in the treaties which set up the Free State. That is why you can live and work in Ireland (and vice versa) including the right to vote in each others general elections if you live there (which EU citizens cannot do). To all intents and purpose UK and RoI citizens have honorary citizenship of each others countries. This was done quite deliberately in 1922 as neither side wanted the equivalent of the Inner German Border.

Any trade barriers between RoI and the UK would bankrupt RoI overnight, considerably damage the NI economy and probably reignite the "troubles".

Bizarrely, Commonwealth citizens can also vote in the UK, despite us having no reciprocal rates in most Commonwealth countries. It's a complete anachronism that should be phased out.
  • Options
    @Paul_Mid_Beds

There was a trade war between Ireland and the UK after independence. It's not really practical to have free trade with part of a free trade zone, is it? Think about it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ryan Bourne ‏@MrRBourne 2 mins
    On 50p, OBR signed off HMRC report showing wouldn't raise much. Lab implicitly rejecting this - yet want same OBR to audit policy costs!

The bull from our political parties makes me sick.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

It's not a case of liking, Avery. Well, not for me.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

All Balls's promise to raise the top rate of income tax will do is fill the Conservatives election war chest with private donations.

I'm sure that's the plan. Labour haven't made nearly enough of the people who fund the Tory party, and as wealthy financiers aren't seen as trustworthy or mainstream its easy to paint a rather vivid link between a Tory party representing the interests of the rich over the majority when its almost exclusively funded by the same Rich financiers who benefit from their policies.

The next election is class war. Where some of you make the mistake is that you think along old class lines in terms of middle class vs working class. No, the battle is along even older class lines - the bourgeoisie vs the proles, the 99% vs the 1%, the 85 vs half the world. That the 30 year free market (by which we do of course mean rigged market) experiment has been rumbled as the mass wealth transfer upwards is exactly the point.

Party funding is fair game apparently, judging from Cameron's McClusky tourettes problem. Labour funding from teachers and nurses and factory workers vs Tories funding from off shore hedge fund asset strippers - is that really the debate the Tories want to have with people generally hacked off at their lot?

What a whole load of Porcine extrusion, Rochdale Pioneer.

The next election will be simple:

Success vs. Failure
    Delivery vs. Promise
    Workers vs. Shirkers
    Tax cuts vs. Benefits

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

It's not a case of liking, Avery. Well, not for me.
    OK, I concede.

We do need a follow up study from the Treasury based on more than one year of experience.

Until then the interim report's conclusions will have to stand.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

At an appropriate rate (say 0.1% or 0.05%), it would only be a few hundred pounds a year. This is a lot less than the cost of what you get added to a mortgage for arranging a new deal. For those very small number of cases where people with half million pound homes who can't afford £500, I'm sure the vast majority could be sorted out by remortgaging. Particularly as those with very high value homes are likely in the SE, and benefiting from enormous price inflation, so would have plenty of an equity cushion. For those very rare few that really do need to sell, you could arrange a system where they have 12-18 months to sell without penalty. That would prevent any knock-down prices.

Frankly I see it as far more unfair, not to mention bad for labour mobility, to charge people who are moving about more than those staying in one place, when they have the same amount of wealth and are using the same resources. It would also be far more progressive than the current system, as you can see by the graph on page 6 here: http://www.andywightman.com/docs/LVT_england_final.pdf . The change would also encourage people to reallocate our highly limited housing stock to the most efficient uses.

The only way a land tax as you envisage it would work is if you had regional variation in the rates.

Talk of equity is ludicrous as it does not help you pay a tax unless you are forced to move to find the money. Remortgaging would also have large costs associated.

A tax set at a level that was affordable for someone living in London (average house price just over £500,000) would not raise enough money nationally to compensate for the replacement of council tax.

And why should someone in London or the South East pay 2, 3 or 5 times more for their local services than someone getting the same level of services in Nottingham or Doncaster?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Socrates said:

It works in the States. Moreover, it would be translated into a reduction in the value of residential property (I would limit it to that).

Perhaps you include a mechanism whereby the rate it only reset when there is a substantial improvement to the property and/or it is sold, thereby addressing the 'widows' problem. Provided that the funds raised are used to reduce more damaging taxes - I would eliminate stamp duty/council tax to avoid double taxation*, then focus on employer NICs and some off fuel duty (perhaps something on personal allowance as well). [Based on Savills estimate from February 2013 that the total housing stock is £5trn we are talking about £50bn p.a.]

Assuming the average residential property is around £165,000 (Nov 13, Land Registry) then the average owner will pay £1,650. Wikipedia says the average council tax is £1,200 so it should be possible to afford an increase to the personal allowance to offset this additional expense.

* In practice I would just eliminate the cost-loading of nationally mandated programmes on the council tax. Consequently, anything that councils want to spend over and above what they have to do they should raise locally.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Paul_Mid_Beds

There was a trade war between Ireland and the UK after independence. It's not really practical to have free trade with part of a free trade zone, is it? Think about it.

I guess the Canada-EFTA free trade deal must be a figment of my imagination then, as both sides are part of separate free trade zones.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

I prefer the drier, less politically influenced Budget estimates of the OBR, Avery. They estimated the reduction in 50p rate would cost hundreds of millions and we have no evidence to contradict them. So that's where I'm sticking.
  • Options
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I prefer the drier, less politically influenced Budget estimates of the OBR, Avery. They estimated the reduction in 50p rate would cost hundreds of millions and we have no evidence to contradict them. So that's where I'm sticking.
    I'm sure there'll be a yellow box coming your way to show you the error of your ways...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The next election is class war. Where some of you make the mistake is that you think along old class lines in terms of middle class vs working class.

I wouldn't have used the term "class war" but Rochdale Pioneers has hit the nail on the head.

There are plenty of us who don't believe in Socialism (ie an all powerful state telling us how we run our lives). But that dosen't mean we approve the state to be captured by a self serving parasitical managerial and rentier class who exploit the rest of us by rigging the system so that they get paid six and seven figure sums while most people struggle to heat their homes and said rentiers monopolise most of the land, so that the rest of us have to pay them large sums in rent for the privilege of living.

The latest wheeze being to make just about any sort of work that pays much more than the minimum wage require a degree, in many cases wholly unneccesarily (eg. in the case of things like Nursing) and then introduce £9k a year tuition fees; ensuring that people either subsist for their whole lives hand to mouth on a minimum wage or start their career with a £50k debt, except of course the offspring of said managerial/rentier class who can pay said fees for their offspring and ensure their offsping upon graduation get the best jobs by funding unpaid internships which anyone else cannot afford because they need money to eat and have a roof over their head.

Not content with financially lording it over us, this managerial and rentier class is also now trying to impose their moral and social values on the rest of us. To quote CD13 "All three main parties have embraced what seems to be the modern ethos - the green agenda, unlimited immigration, adapt or die, everyone has rights but no one has responsibility for their actions. Anyone who differs is to be insulted." - to which I would add, especially Christians.

THAT is why UKIP are doing so well. And to those who hold their hands up in horror at the prospect, I would say better UKIP than Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre or Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov.

• Options
    Just seen the Ferrari nose. It actually looks normal.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Charles,

I may be being unfair on politicians; there are the odd one or two who may have the country at heart, but Osborne wouldn't top anyone's list.

Well there are only 4 possible choices given that the political costs were so blindingly obvious.

1. Osborne didn't understand the political cost
    2. He understood the political cost but did it anyway because:

(a) he is a sleeper Labour agent
    (b) he did it solely to benefit his friends in hedge funds/the City
    (c) he did it because he genuinely believed it was the best thing for the country

Ignoring 1 and 2(a),I think 2(c) is the most likely reason. Feel free to suggest another.
  • Options

Socrates said:

The only way a land tax as you envisage it would work is if you had regional variation in the rates.

Talk of equity is ludicrous as it does not help you pay a tax unless you are forced to move to find the money. Remortgaging would also have large costs associated.

A tax set at a level that was affordable for someone living in London (average house price just over £500,000) would not raise enough money nationally to compensate for the replacement of council tax.

And why should someone in London or the South East pay 2, 3 or 5 times more for their local services than someone getting the same level of services in Nottingham or Doncaster?
    Because this should be a national tax, not a local services tax
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Must be time for the Robin Hood Tax on financial transactions,£20 billion pa off the deficit courtesy of the bankers.
  • Options
    @ChristianJMay: Simon Walker, IoD: Labour 50p tax policy "an envy-driven political gesture designed solely to drive a wedge between voters."
  • Options
    Annie Power destroys the field.

Big Bucks, your move. Mind you will she go for the world or the champion ?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Success vs. Failure
    Delivery vs. Promise
    Workers vs. Shirkers
    Tax cuts vs. Benefits

Indeed. All of which fit my narrative.

Success vs failure. People working hard to see their standard of living slide backwards, whilst the banks get billion pound bonus pots from taxpayers money to reward their own failure.

Delivery vs promise. A promise that we're all in this together. A promise to cut the national debt through austerity. And the delivery on those.

Workers vs shirkers. The basic reality that most benefits are paid to people in work to subsidise low wages that haven't kept up with real inflation, that most housing benefit goes to people with jobs who can't afford the rent, these things will come out as truth always does. Vs the non Dom tax avoiding highnprofit but no contribution to society mob funding/owning the Tories.

Cuts vs benefits. Or for most people both. Cuts of benefits, the explosion in food bank use and kids going to school hungry. The collapse of civic society where councils cannot longer afford the basic functions that make us a society. All to fund an explosion in national debt for the benefit of the very very few.

I know that in Tory world we are all better off and everything is fine because Oik is a genius. But in the real world people are scared and angry. UK get this and have managed to tap anger from across the political spectrum. Labour are broadening their engagement across the so-called middle class by pointing out that they are no better off in substance than anyone below them.

As I said, I think people might like to separate themselves off as superior to those they see as beneath them, but threaten their standard of living and they don't like it. If we really were all in this together - if big business and big capital were also suffering then just maybe they might have bought the Tory message. But as they aren't its clear that "all" = "you lot". We are all in this together. And if the Tories have managed to get on the 1% side of the fence then no wonder Farage terrifies them.
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, that's a silly nickname (Robin Hood, not your username). Robin Hood wanted lower taxes, not higher ones.
  • Options
    Why doesn't Balls go for the 75% top rate that has done such wonders for France?
  • Options
    @BBCJonSopel: Simon Walker from IoD accuses @edballsmp of "pandering to the troglodyte elements in his own party." So think that's a vote against 50p
  • Options
    @Richard Tyndall

I'm not talking about replacing council taxes. Local authorities can decide what to do with their own rates. I'm talking about a national tax instead of stamp duty.

Your second paragraph also counteracts itself. You say equity only matters if you sell, but then mention the possibility of remortgaging. It would have some costs associated with remortgaging (allthough they're not that high). And again, it really wouldn't be needed except for in a small minority of cases. Frankly, if you can't afford a few hundred quid (the cost for someone in a £500k home), then nine times out of ten you've recklessly overleveraged. I suppose you can come up with some sort of extreme set of circumstances - owner-occupiers in SE England, have recently bought so do not have the equity to remortgage, have just lost their jobs and have no savings whatsoever, are unable to rent out their property and rent somewhere smaller, and can't recover in an 18-month period - where you might need to sell, but national policy can't be set on a dozen cases when there are millions that would be helped. I certainly haven't known you oppose restrictive benefit changes in the past based on such a thing.

As a note, the average house price in London maybe £500k, but that's certainly not the price for the average household. Half of the capital does not own property at all, due to the concentration of property of a few, and most of the rest lives in places a fair bit less than £500k - the average is dragged up by the very wealthy.

As for why someone in London should pay more, it's not because it's marked for local services - as mentioned, it would be a national tax. It's because us London property-owners are a lot wealthier on the whole than people in Nottingham and Doncaster and are benefitting from appreciation on very valuable but scarce assets..
  • Options
    @BethRigby: If Lab wants 2 b taken seriously by bis..it needs 2 drop its practice of knee-jerk reversion 2 old Socialist nostrums..of past #IoD #50ptax
  • Options
    edited January 2014

that most housing benefit goes to people with jobs who can't afford the rent, these things will come out as truth always does.

Not quite. Most housing benefit goes to the landlords of people with jobs who can't afford the rent, enabling them to keep rents higher than if rents were set by local wages.

• Options

Why doesn't Balls go for the 75% top rate that has done such wonders for France?

Because the 50% is likely to the left of the Laffer curve while the 75% is likely to the right?
    For the record, the 75% doesn't apply to individuals I believe, although I'm not entirely clued in on how they sorted it in the end.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Chote is struggling to hold onto his assessment, Neil.

In the latest EFO he had to concede:

The largest source of labour income is wages and salaries, which are determined by employment and earnings. Total wages and salaries are expected to be around £13 billion higher in 2013-14 than we forecast in March, mainly reflecting data revisions and the scale of income shifted between years to benefit from the reduction in the additional rate of income tax to 45p.

His final conclusion is almost written in Irish English:

As a result, the upward revision to wages and salaries falls to around £8 billion by 2017-18.
  • Options
    Just backed Annie Power for the Champion Hurdle with 365 each way at 7s, Non runner, no bet. Not sure there is that much value in the World odds for her (Too short) and it probably ends up as No Bet but if she runs in the champion I think she shortens up.

The real deal I think.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    glw said:

Surely the problem is that, as there is no practical control test, we cannot know for sure the effects of any increase or decrease. We can guess, but those guesses often follow our political instincts.

The economy is a complex system, and modelling even small changes becomes difficult when human nature gets involved. For instance: an imagined increase to 60% might bring in more income if sold as "look, we're in a really difficult hole, and we need to sort the mess out temporarily" than if sold as "we hate the rich and we'll squeeze you until the pips squeak." The latter would frighten people, and force them into more creative ways of avoiding tax.

Because no-one can give a definitive answer, political instinct kicks in.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Success vs. Failure
    Delivery vs. Promise
    Workers vs. Shirkers
    Tax cuts vs. Benefits

Indeed. All of which fit my narrative.

Success vs failure. People working hard to see their standard of living slide backwards, whilst the banks get billion pound bonus pots from taxpayers money to reward their own failure.

Delivery vs promise. A promise that we're all in this together. A promise to cut the national debt through austerity. And the delivery on those.

Workers vs shirkers. The basic reality that most benefits are paid to people in work to subsidise low wages that haven't kept up with real inflation, that most housing benefit goes to people with jobs who can't afford the rent, these things will come out as truth always does. Vs the non Dom tax avoiding highnprofit but no contribution to society mob funding/owning the Tories.

Cuts vs benefits. Or for most people both. Cuts of benefits, the explosion in food bank use and kids going to school hungry. The collapse of civic society where councils cannot longer afford the basic functions that make us a society. All to fund an explosion in national debt for the benefit of the very very few.

I know that in Tory world we are all better off and everything is fine because Oik is a genius. But in the real world people are scared and angry. UK get this and have managed to tap anger from across the political spectrum. Labour are broadening their engagement across the so-called middle class by pointing out that they are no better off in substance than anyone below them.

As I said, I think people might like to separate themselves off as superior to those they see as beneath them, but threaten their standard of living and they don't like it. If we really were all in this together - if big business and big capital were also suffering then just maybe they might have bought the Tory message. But as they aren't its clear that "all" = "you lot". We are all in this together. And if the Tories have managed to get on the 1% side of the fence then no wonder Farage terrifies them.
    From denial to anger.

So predictable.

• Options
    @MichaelLCrick: On 1 Dec Balls said budget surplus goal by 2020 depended on economy; now it's a binding pledge. Has economy improved that much in 8 weeks?
  • Options
    Six Nations: Wales are still 5.5 for the Triple Crown. Surprised by those odds at the time, and still now. Backed them a while ago at the same price.
  • Options
    @paul_mid_beds call it what you like. Its not class in the modern sense, so how about big capital vs their workforce? You don't have to be socialist in any sense of the word to be unhappy that whilst those at the very very top engorge themselves you have to work flat out to have enough cash to be broke.

Personally I think of myself as a democratic socialist but I also have a career where I try and maximise profits for my employer who happen to pay thew workforce well, invest heavily and expands our exports. I am not any profit or anti-capitalism, but recognise that the model used over the last three decades has broken utterly.

In business either you pay your workers enough to pay for the products you sell or you go out of business - a basic premise of capitalism. That working people can't afford to feed themselves or rent a house and heat it and get to work without vast state subsidy proves a broken system, but the solution is not cut benefits and pay people even less - presumably filling the hole with more credit. We need to pay more and the money can only come from the very top because that's where its all gone.

To my free market friends - if you cut benefits hard and keep wages down and allow rents and bills to soar, who will have the money to buy things off you and thus enrich you? Remember that the nation's credit card has been cut up, and although Oik said in his 2010 budget that personal debt would explode to pay for it, the banks are still broke so we couldn't borrow the cash if we wanted to.

A simple question - if people don't have the money to pay for it and you can't lend them the money any more and you won't cut prices or increase wages, how do you propose the system works?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,430
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Chote is struggling to hold onto his assessment, Neil.

In the latest EFO he had to concede:

The largest source of labour income is wages and salaries, which are determined by employment and earnings. Total wages and salaries are expected to be around £13 billion higher in 2013-14 than we forecast in March, mainly reflecting data revisions and the scale of income shifted between years to benefit from the reduction in the additional rate of income tax to 45p.

As a result, the upward revision to wages and salaries falls to around £8 billion by 2017-18.
    Careful Avery. You almost let the cat out of the bag as to why the government can claim that real earnings increased in the latest tax year there.

So far as Balls is concerned presumably the 50p tax rate is going to replace the banker's bonus tax as the way of funding every promise that Labour makes. On that basis your debate with Neil is considerably more than academic. It would be very helpful if Andrew Neill or some other numerate interviewer (there must be another one somewhere) was asking Balls what hospitals he was going to close to fund his spite tax.

• Options
    @MrHarryCole: Cheeky spy points out that Ed Balls speech wasn't even popular with the Fabians: http://t.co/xOyr1C7mDc
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @Hugh

So Labour would have four tax bands? 10%, 20%, 40% and 50%. Is that right?

(EDIT: Well, income tax. NI messes the system up, giving people in the middle a much higher marginal rate.)
  • Options
    Hugh said:

re-introducing the 10p rate is even more important and very welcome.

All of the people who were on the 10p rate now pay 0%

How welcome is it for them?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Cheeky spy points out that Ed Balls speech wasn't even popular with the Fabians: http://t.co/xOyr1C7mDc

Labour is careening away from the Blair/Mandelson winning formula towards Foot/Bennite oblivion. Good.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Careful Avery. You almost let the cat out of the bag as to why the government can claim that real earnings increased in the latest tax year there.

So far as Balls is concerned presumably the 50p tax rate is going to replace the banker's bonus tax as the way of funding every promise that Labour makes. On that basis your debate with Neil is considerably more than academic. It would be very helpful if Andrew Neill or some other numerate interviewer (there must be another one somewhere) was asking Balls what hospitals he was going to close to fund his spite tax.

David

My point to Neil was that Chote was predicting a fall in tax yields from wages and salaries after an initial spurt of additional tax was raised in April-May 2013 from bonuses and income deferred from 2012/13 to take advantage of the new 45% rate.

This prediction did stand for the first six months of this fiscal year but tax yields from income have since grown, requiring Chote to revise his year end forecast substantially. Chote is still clinging to his view that the change in rates will depress Self Assessment receipts due in January 2014, so we will have to wait until next month's PSF bulletin to see whether he is right.

The figures are not conclusive proof that the lower rate has resulted in an increased yield as they do not separate receipts into the income tax bands. But unless the top band's overall contribution to tax has fallen dramatically in percentage terms, it is safe to assume that the yield from top rate tax payers will be higher under a 45% rate than it was under 50%.

Some of this will of course just be due to the economy and, employment in particular, recovering at a faster rate than predicted in Spring 2013, but wasn't that part of the point of lowering the tax rate in the first place?

Until further reliable evidence is submitted to the contrary, a higher overall yield from 45% than from 50% is proof, even from the OBR, in favour in lowering the rate.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Because the 50% is likely to the left of the Laffer curve while the 75% is likely to the right?
    For the record, the 75% doesn't apply to individuals I believe, although I'm not entirely clued in on how they sorted it in the end.
    Companies that pay wages at that level (E1m?) have to pay an extra social charge.

Even more impressive: I was chatting to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He got a letter at the end of November from the French government (he lives in Paris).

Essentially said:

- You have been assessed as 1 of 3,000 people in France who being asked to make a voluntary contribution to the Treasury
    - You will be informed about the level of this contribution within the next 10 days.
    - If you do not make this contribution within 10 days following this letter, it will be deemed to be a criminal action on your part

• Options
    Hugh said:

Socrates said:

@Hugh

Hopefully. Certainly looks that way.
    Why do you support the 10% as a progressive? Isn't it a higher tax on lower income people?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

AveryLP said:

That might work. I'm sure that promising to put the tax rate back up to 50% will be popular (raising other peoples' taxes is always popular).

But left-wing populism runs the risk of reinforcing the negative perception of Labour, that it's a party for immigrants and benefit claimants. Which is as damaging for Labour as the Conservatives' association with rich people is for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    @IainDey: Some of the words used by senior business people to describe @edballsmp plan to reinstate 50p tax on high earners cannot be printed.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

*ahem*

Luckily most of the PB tories spotted the danger long before Cammie and Osbrowne were made a laughing stock. Only joking!

I wonder if the PB tories will have learned their lesson by now?

---------

Electorates judge economic competence and performance on the overall picture not individual details.

Populist empty headed posturing that takes its core electorate for fools.

*chortle*

At the moment, polling is clear. The government is seen as being far more economically competent than Labour.

The question is whether that's sufficient for the Conservatives to win the next election, or whether the voters will just say "Thank you and goodbye."

• Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I.

David

My point to Neil was that Chote was predicting a fall in tax yields from wages and salaries after an initial spurt of additional tax was raised in April-May 2013 from bonuses and income deferred from 2012/13 to take advantage of the new 45% rate.

This prediction did stand for the first six months of this fiscal year but tax yields from income have since grown, requiring Chote to revise his year end forecast substantially. Chote is still clinging to his view that the change in rates will depress Self Assessment receipts due in January 2014, so we will have to wait until next month's PSF bulletin to see whether he is right.

The figures are not conclusive proof that the lower rate has resulted in an increased yield as they do not separate receipts into the income tax bands. But unless the top band's overall contribution to tax has fallen dramatically in percentage terms, it is safe to assume that the yield from top rate tax payers will be higher under a 45% rate than it was under 50%.

Some of this will of course just be due to the economy and, employment in particular, recovering at a faster rate than predicted in Spring 2013, but wasn't that part of the point of lowering the tax rate in the first place?

Until further reliable evidence is submitted to the contrary, a higher overall yield from 45% than from 50% is proof in favour in lowering the rate.

My point was that the figures upon which the government is claiming that real pay rose are distorted by the adjustments made to actual earnings as a result of the change in the tax rate. This means that the gross income on which they are basing their figures is distorted by these deferred bonuses and the average increase is therefore said to be higher than it was for the vast majority of the population. The government has then used this average figure to be set against the significant tax cuts enjoyed by the lower paid and, hey presto, we have a real terms increase.

In fact we don't. We have a small number of higher earners who received a significant amount of deferred bonuses (as shown in your Chote quote) and the majority whose earnings were growing much more slowly than the overall average. It amazes me that Labour do not seem to have been numerate enough to point this out. It does not bode well for the likely next government.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Nope. The problem with raising the tax-free allowance is that the benefits spread across the income scale. You end up "wasting" a lot of money that the tax cut costs on better off people.

Having more tax bands (or using tax credits, which is analagous) is a more efficient way of targeting scarce resources on the least well off.

How does taxing people at 10% instead of 0% help the least well off?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited January 2014
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Companies that pay wages at that level (E1m?) have to pay an extra social charge.

Even more impressive: I was chatting to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago. He got a letter at the end of November from the French government (he lives in Paris).

Essentially said:

- You have been assessed as 1 of 3,000 people in France who being asked to make a voluntary contribution to the Treasury
    - You will be informed about the level of this contribution within the next 10 days.
    - If you do not make this contribution within 10 days following this letter, it will be deemed to be a criminal action on your part

Your friend had twenty days to get out of France. Under those kind of terror conditions it's no wonder that London has risen from the sixth to the fourth most populous French city over the past year.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Sorry if someone's already said this, but those poll findings need to be treated with caution. I'm no Tory but in general I believe that even 45% is too high. But the decision to bring the rate down during a period of Austerity was a grave political mistake. Bringing the rate down is a good idea, but the timing was terrible. By 2016 the economy should be in much better shape and it'll probably be unnecessary to put the rate back up. So promising to do so is wrong.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

Socrates said:

@Hugh

Hopefully. Certainly looks that way.
    Why do you support the 10% as a progressive? Isn't it a higher tax on lower income people?
    Nope. The problem with raising the tax-free allowance is that the benefits spread across the income scale. You end up "wasting" a lot of money that the tax cut costs on better off people.

Having more tax bands (or using tax credits, which is analagous) is a more efficient way of targeting scarce resources on the least well off.
    Why is it a "waste" to reduce taxes on people earning around the median?

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Essentially said:

Ah , so your friend is one of those suspected of evading tax via untaxed accounts held abroad . Such tax evaders are being offered a partial amnesty and lower penalty rates if they voluntarily cough up what they owe .
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Sorry if someone's already said this, but those poll findings need to be treated with caution. I'm no Tory but in general I believe that even 45% is too high. But the decision to bring the rate down during a period of Austerity was a grave political mistake. Bringing the rate down is a good idea, but the timing was terrible. By 2016 the economy should be in much better shape and it'll probably be unnecessary to put the rate back up. So promising to do so is wrong.

I agree with both of those points and said so at the time of the budget. It was very poor politics whatever the economic merits and dealt a fatal blow to the rather good "we are all in it together" meme.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Why is it a "waste" to reduce taxes on people earning around the median?

The progressive answer is if you let people keep their own money they will just waste it. Far better to tax them. Then the Government can spend it properly, by giving it back to them as bribes tax credits.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    The Tories should ignore the 50% tax rate and concentrate on the fact that Labour are proposing to make people who currently pay 0% tax - as a result of the increased tax free allowances - pay 10% tax.

That's a pretty whopping increase and will make their cost of living crisis very very much worse.
  • Options

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Essentially said:

Ah , so your friend is one of those suspected of evading tax via untaxed accounts held abroad . Such tax evaders are being offered a partial amnesty and lower penalty rates if they voluntarily cough up what they owe .
    What if he's innocent?

He's deemed to be a criminal if he fails to make a "voluntary" contribution.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I agree with both of those points and said so at the time of the budget. It was very poor politics whatever the economic merits and dealt a fatal blow to the rather good "we are all in it together" meme.

Osborne put the good of the country before petty politics. Whou'ld have thunk it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I.

My point was that the figures upon which the government is claiming that real pay rose are distorted by the adjustments made to actual earnings as a result of the change in the tax rate. This means that the gross income on which they are basing their figures is distorted by these deferred bonuses and the average increase is therefore said to be higher than it was for the vast majority of the population. The government has then used this average figure to be set against the significant tax cuts enjoyed by the lower paid and, hey presto, we have a real terms increase.

In fact we don't. We have a small number of higher earners who received a significant amount of deferred bonuses (as shown in your Chote quote) and the majority whose earnings were growing much more slowly than the overall average. It amazes me that Labour do not seem to have been numerate enough to point this out. It does not bode well for the likely next government.
    I have tried to find the statistics upon which the Government (Cameron in Davos?) is making the claim that Real Household Disposable Income is rising.

I am beginning to suspect that they are not new stats but more a recent analysis of old stats: particularly the RHDI stats released by the ONS in their annual economic reviews.

There will have been a distortion in disposable income between the first and second quarter of the 2013 calendar year caused by deferral of bonuses and income into the new fiscal year, but this distortion would be averaged out by looking at trends across a couple of years.

Do you have a source for the 'Treasury Analysis' from which the press states the Tory claims are derived?

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Osborne put the good of the country before petty politics. Whou'ld have thunk it?
    I don't think that decision was for the good of the country. At the time, developing a sense that we were all in it together and maintaining social cohesion was more important than a relatively small amount of tax take or incentivising. The consequence of that decision was to alienate the majority from the elite (financial and political).

Just because it was a bad policy to increase the rate in the first place, it doesn't then mean it would be a good one to then reverse it.
  • Options

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Essentially said:

Your friend had twenty days to get out of France. Under those kind of terror conditions it's no wonder that London has risen from the sixth to the fourth most populous French city over the past year.
    French tax law states that you are tax resident if your "habitual family residence" is in France. He would have had to take his kids out of school mid term and moved them all across to the UK to avoid the charge. And pay a penal exit tax on all his assets.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    FPT

Say the number of victims of the grooming gangs during Lab's time in office was around 6000 or so that would be 6000 families - mostly broken ones as well - so not many people in total.

However how many people who live or once lived in those areas saw the media and political class covering it up?

Lots.
  • Options

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Essentially said:

No - he lives and works in France and pays tax there. But is in the process of moving back to the UK. There is a UK based family trust, but that was in existence before he moved to France.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    In order to demonstrate that people will recoil in horror, Scott P quotes the Institute of Directors three times :-).

It's a useful dividing line - I don't think anyone would claim it solves the revenue issue all by itself. We're now leaving the mid-term period and entering the pre-election phase, which will probably last till the party conferences. Pre-elections are marked by eye-catching things that aren't especially central to the argument - Osborne saying he wouldn't object to a higher minimum wage was another one. Therre will be more to come from both sides.
This discussion has been closed.