Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is going to win the numbers of seats at LE2013 that

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is going to win the numbers of seats at LE2013 that are being predicted then it’s going to have to take a fair number from 3rd place

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited April 2013
    Interesting.

• Options
    I know in Westminster elections in 1997, Labour won seats from third, so why not in council elections?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

I know in Westminster elections in 1997, Labour won seats from third, so why not in council elections?

They could win some, but not many. There are just so many County Councils where Labour just doesn't feature, outside a few urban centres that haven't been hived off into unitary authorities.
  • Options
    I guess the great unknown in this is UKIP.

We could see all sorts of odd results.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    That's a very interesting observation from Mike. It suggests that it can't both be true that Labour will gain well over 300 seats and that the LD vote will hold up.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    A lot easier to win from 3rd with Ukip taking 25% of the Con vote ;)

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    SeanT said:
    I'm preparing to tell Telegraph readers that Immigration can be Good. Here I am, clearing my throat...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100214432/britain-is-nicer-than-it-used-to-be-no-im-serious-even-checkout-staff-are-more-poilite/

What a load of sanctimonious waffle, even for you, SeanT. Despite a tip of the hat to UKIP, this was a dreadful piece, quite unbecoming of your writing talents. Of course Telegraph readers may lap it up but even they can tell the difference between cream and curds.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    I've just finished listening to the Miliband interview, and if there was a meltdown in there somewhere I missed it. Certainly doesn't scale the heights of "these strikes are wrong".
  • Options

That's a very interesting observation from Mike. It suggests that it can't both be true that Labour will gain well over 300 seats and that the LD vote will hold up.

I think it's clear that the Lib Dem vote will not hold up, compared to 2009. That was a good year for the party in County Council terms.

In actual (not notional) terms, the the Conservatives and Lib Dems won 69% of the vote between them in 2009. I think the combined figure will be closer to 50% this time around.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @RichardNabavi The Lib Dem seat count could hold up, even if its vote share falls, if it trades on incumbency. Those 770 seats where the Conservatives are first and the Lib Dems are second are worth watching carefully.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@RichardNabavi The Lib Dem seat count could hold up, even if its vote share falls, if it trades on incumbency. Those 770 seats where the Conservatives are first and the Lib Dems are second are worth watching carefully.

Overall, I don't think there'll be much relative change between the two parties (although the position will no doubt very markedly between individual counties)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    tim said:

@SeanT

I'm preparing to tell Telegraph readers that Immigration can be Good

Are you doing falling crime and immigration or Londons schools and immigration first?

I think he's building up to a crescendo where the blame for all the UK's ills will be placed at Liverpool's feet. Then he'll emigrate.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @SeanT
    Actually Sean, I'm quite decided. I support UKIP and my 79th birthday is tomorrow. BTW I've never fallen pregnant. ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2013
    @SeanT

Some of the comments are from residents with the RG45 7EG postcode.
  • Options
    tim said:

Easy money for someone with a clown suit and a phone camera

Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics
    Are UKIP a bunch of clowns?
    Ladbrokes offer 100/1 any local election candidate arrives at count in clown suit. http://bit.ly/105rJvv

Which count is rEd going to ? I'll bring the camera.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    On the current projected outcome the tories will still be left with as many seats in these areas as Labour and the Lib Dems and UKIP put together.

I think that shows what a mountain Labour has to climb to have real impact here. These polls are in many of the large parts of the country where Labour does not exist, like Scotland for the tories only more so.

If Ed was 20% ahead in the polls something really exciting might have happened. He isn't. Given their disaster of 2009 Labour will improve but 350 is probably pushing it. The people in these areas simply know better than that and won't make the same mistakes again.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Mike "Actually Sean, I'm quite decided. I support UKIP and my 79th birthday is tomorrow. BTW I've never fallen pregnant. ;)"

Well happy birthday! Sounds like you are the perfect demographic. As for not getting pregnant -just keep Farage away from the Latvians
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @SeanT

I've always been a convert in that particular stable, particularly when it comes to the legalisation of some drugs where the argument is predicated on the current drugs policy not working. Anyway, I think the big question is whether people's perceptions will ever close in on reality, or even get better in any respect. Are we going to have a tipping point?
  • Options
    @SeanT

Mea culpa, I meant to type "comments from residents within the L31 1HW postcode."
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On the current projected outcome the tories will still be left with as many seats in these areas as Labour and the Lib Dems and UKIP put together.

I think that shows what a mountain Labour has to climb to have real impact here. These polls are in many of the large parts of the country where Labour does not exist, like Scotland for the tories only more so.

If Ed was 20% ahead in the polls something really exciting might have happened. He isn't. Given their disaster of 2009 Labour will improve but 350 is probably pushing it. The people in these areas simply know better than that and won't make the same mistakes again.

Labour hold Durham; they should take Cumbria, Derbyshire, Lancashire, and Nottinghamshire. They are competitive (but unlikely to win) in Northamptonshire, and Staffordshire, but thereafter, the pickings are thin.

They should be able to re-establish fair-sized groups in Kent, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk, Hertfordshire, if they have a good night.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    DavidL said:

350 is certainly pushing it having looked at Con/Lab an and Lib /Lab marginal council seats in County and Uniitary up for contest a figure in the 200-230 range looks more likely.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2013
    dr_spyn said:

@SeanT

Mea culpa, I meant to type "comments from residents within the L31 1HW postcode."

I'm sure he'll get there eventually :)
    Some comments from DN22 0PD too.
  • Options
    @SeanT.

"I'm preparing to tell Telegraph readers that Immigration can be Good. Here I am, clearing my throat..."

Prepare for second shortest career in media history....here's the first

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312763/TV-anchor-AJ-Clemente-fired-words-air-f---s-.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interesting graph (which is becoming a nice habit), but how many seats don't feature above?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and as ever the gains and losses are interesting but councils changing hands are probably more important. Yesterday I heard Sir Ming Campbell confidently predicting good results for the LibDems on Thursday. Does that mean some LibDems expect a net gain in seat numbers or councils or simply avoiding a meltdown?

Yesterday someone on SKY was referring to 600 Tory losses, the first time I had heard that number. More often it has been around 350 losses. What is the consensus of a "good" night for David Cameron on Thursday? Fewer than 300 seats and 5-6 councils lost? What would be a "good" night for Ed Miliband? Gaining more than 300 seats and 5-6 councils?

Never thought I'd say this but I am interested in Tim's prespective on this one and that of someone like Mark Senior.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Fall out continues

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/james-forsyth/2013/04/ed-miliband-stays-in-the-rough-with-oddly-charmless-radio-interview/

"The problem with Ed Miliband’s World at One interview was that he addressed Martha Kearney as if she was a public meeting. Whenever she asked him a difficult question, he just spoke louder. At one point, he barked at her ‘you don’t understand’."

"The content was also odd. At one point, Miliband implied that a VAT cut would pay for itself — an extreme Lafferite position. It was a sign of just how much Labour doesn’t want to admit that it would increase borrowing, even if only for the short term."
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. Jessop, both the pointless teams have been unimpressive. This is what, their fourth season? It's an event when any one car from them escapes Q1. None have scored a single point.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    When Dan Hodges, the Spectator and TGOHF all say that Ed Miliband has given a car crash of an interview, it must be true!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Afternoon all and as ever the gains and losses are interesting but councils changing hands are probably more important. Yesterday I heard Sir Ming Campbell confidently predicting good results for the LibDems on Thursday. Does that mean some LibDems expect a net gain in seat numbers or councils or simply avoiding a meltdown?

Yesterday someone on SKY was referring to 600 Tory losses, the first time I had heard that number. More often it has been around 350 losses. What is the consensus of a "good" night for David Cameron on Thursday? Fewer than 300 seats and 5-6 councils lost? What would be a "good" night for Ed Miliband? Gaining more than 300 seats and 5-6 councils?

Never thought I'd say this but I am interested in Tim's prespective on this one and that of someone like Mark Senior.

I would expect the Conservatives to lose control of rather more than 5/6 councils probably twice that many but most to NOC . Labour will gain overall control in no more than 3/4 . Lib Dems IMHO have a strong chance of taking overall control in Somerset .

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

FPT: Mr. Jessop, both the pointless teams have been unimpressive. This is what, their fourth season? It's an event when any one car from them escapes Q1. None have scored a single point.

Have any of them escaped Q1 yet?
  • Options

When Dan Hodges, the Spectator and TGOHF all say that Ed Miliband has given a car crash of an interview, it must be true!

Typical head in the sand "nailed on-ner"
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, do you mean this season, or ever?

This season, no. Last season I think Kovalainen got out 2-3 times.

I'm planning to put up my early season review of the initial fly-away races tomorrow, for those interested.
  • Options
    Lets try and do something about energy bills - so why did Ed M limit power capacity, and go for green measures to force bills upwards?

Guido has a link to in the interview as well.

http://order-order.com/2013/04/29/listen-ed-milibands-world-at-one-car-crash/#comments
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    To win from third place requires either a tight 3+ way marginal or a lot of hard work on the ground, as otherwise Labour will simply not be seen as a contender (and if UKIP are standing, which they usually will be, the anti-government protest vote is just as likely to go Purple as Red).

In how many of these rural shire seats where Labour is third do they have the organisation or dedication to put in that kind of effort? Probably not many. As Sean F rightly says, there are some councils which are a good deal more 'urban' / industrial, where Labour stands a better chance but then they'll be starting many of the races there in second, rather than third, place.
  • Options

I would expect the Conservatives to lose control of rather more than 5/6 councils probably twice that many but most to NOC . Labour will gain overall control in no more than 3/4 . Lib Dems IMHO have a strong chance of taking overall control in Somerset .

Thanks Mark, that is very interesting. I had looked at each of the councils last week and noted that in many the Conservative lead over any other party was very large but the overall majority pre any ward by-elections over the past few years was in single figures.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    TGOHF said:

Typical head in the sand "nailed on-ner"

Not really. I believe Ed is a poor leader and that after the next GE we will end up with a hung Parliament.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Thanks for the tip about "The World at One". I thought I'd listen for a couple of minute but it was hypnotic. That man has a special talent; how can he sound so condescending and vacuous at the same time?

Not that it matters much as no one listens to these sort of interviews normally. I didn't even know what WATO stood for before today.

I remember Francis Pym managing to crash and burn like that in a TV interview during an election campaign (and years later, he admitted that he thought he'd wrecked the campaign). Of course, it made not the slightest difference.

But Labour might be more cautious in the future about choosing their interviews for Ed.
  • Options
    How do I repeat a comment from one of you my esteemed colleagues? I tried clicking the quote but as I didn't want to repeat what I had originally said cropped it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    O/T - but responding to Antifrank:-

You said in the previous thread that the state should intervene in what religious bodies thought if they wanted to have a tax break (I paraphrase - fairly I hope).

Telling charities that what they do must comply with the land is fine. Telling people what they must think is not. If a charitable organisation believes that marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman (let's make it a Jewish organisation) there is no reason why its work providing a soup kitchen to the homeless should not benefit from a tax break (if that is what the law permits). Providing food to the homeless is the activity for which the tax break is provided. Their view of what marriage means is irrelevant to the charitable activity which is being provided/subsidised by the rest of us.

• Options

How do I repeat a comment from one of you my esteemed colleagues? I tried clicking the quote but as I didn't want to repeat what I had originally said cropped it.

Press quote - and it gets pasted in the box below leave a comment - then you can comment. underneath.

@Easterross - good luck.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@SeanT

Is this tim's postcode?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    OT. Having just heard about Operation Pallial an investigation into sexual and physical abuse in North Wales I am seriously thinking of getting in touch. I was at school in North Wales during that time and though I didn't see any sexual abuse the physical abuse was clear.

The policeman interviewed specifically said that the passage of time doesn't alter what constitutes abuse. Boys from the age of eight doing a two mile run in the snow with nothing on except for shorts several times a week before lessons would surely get the torturer a lengthy stretch in jail.

(Being interfered with by a male or female pervert would at least have been warm!)
  • Options
  • Options
    Ha, just had an interesting query on my blog. If anyone knows where I can find an English translation of the Spartan Constitution, (the Lycurgan one, obviously), please do let me know.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    tim said:

@Grandiose
    Anyway, I think the big question is whether people's perceptions will ever close in on reality, or even get better in any respect. Are we going to have a tipping point?

They probably have closed if you look at the polling on immigration,crime,health,schools etc "in your local area"

It's when people are asked to imagine the country as a whole that they tend to lose the plot and revert to Broken Britain nonsense.

Annoyingly, while I can assess that 28% of people think that crime is rising in their local area, I really want to know how many of the rest think it is falling. At the national level, perceptions haven't changed much, at the local they have. At the national level, the question is really when reality will kick in.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,995

No, and it should have been easier for them to do so under the modern points system, when the first ten cars get points (under the pre-2010 system, only the top eight did, and six pre-2003) (*)

But they are not too massively off the pace. HRT were, sadly, and often broke the 107% rule. For instance in China this year, the last man (excluding Webber, who was disqualified) was within four seconds of the top time in Q1. That's good enough in my eyes. We need new blood to come into F1 every so often, and too-strict rules will prevent it.

Besides, where do you draw the line? 107%? 105%? 103%? Or would you prefer a system where any team who does not score a point in three years loses their rights to be in F1?

When I was a kid, there were regularly over 24 cars on the grid. It seemed so much more active. The worst was the 2005 US GP. Ahem.

I'd like both teams to remain. As well as increasing the spectacle, both teams are based in the UK and employ good people, so it works on purely jingoistic terms as well.

(*) I can't believe I knew that without looking it up. I need to get a life. Anyone got one going spare?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Roger said:

OT. Having just heard about Operation Pallial an investigation into sexual and physical abuse in North Wales I am seriously thinking of getting in touch. I was at school in North Wales during that time and though I didn't see any sexual abuse the physical abuse was clear.

The policeman interviewed specifically said that the passage of time doesn't alter what constitutes abuse. Boys from the age of eight doing a two mile run in the snow with nothing on except for shorts several times a week before lessons would surely get the torturer a lengthy stretch in jail.

Being interfered with by a male or female pervert would at least have been warm!

Things happened when I was at school in the 1950's and 1960's which would nowadays be classed as physical abuse . I believe that one of UKIP's policies is to return to the much stricter discipline of those days

• Options
    Mr. Jessop, 107% wasn't really a line, more of a guideline (it was usually ignored).

Ha, I remember 2005. That was a joke.

On points, I knew those setups, but not the years.

Those are some good arguments for the teams to remain. I do think 24 cars is a good total for the grid, but I wish the backmarkers were more competitive.
  • Options
    @Dr Spyn
    "Guido has a link to in the interview as well."

He's poor but to call it "a car crash" as Guido does devalues the expression. I'm afraid that's what Ed is like in front of an interviewer. If Labour think that's going to be a problem they've got two years to do something about it.
  • Options
    tim said:

Are UKIP a lost Tory tribe or masked villains? Cameron needs to decide

The Conservatives are caught between advertising their cultural affinity with UKIP and denouncing its members as closet extremists.

"The Tories can advertise their cultural affinity with UKIP and alienate voters who see Farage and friends as the very caricature of everything they rejected about Conservatism in its fly-blown descent from power through the mid-90s. Or they can attack UKIP as an ugly deception practised by closet extremists – an approach that risks insulting chunks of the core Tory vote. There is always the possibility that they end up doing both. "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/are-ukip-lost-tory-tribe-or-masked-villains-cameron-needs-decide

The best course of action is to do nothing. The wisdom of the ages in two words.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

I see Ladbrokes have already cut the clown suit bet from 100/1 to 25/1

Now we know what David Kendrick has been up to this afternoon.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    The thing about EdM is that he is never as bad in interviews as people make out but never as good as is sometimes claimed e.g. in PMQs. None of this will stop him becoming PM but nor will it aid him much.

Kinnock was a better orator and braver in some ways e.g. his speech about the Militant Tendency at the Labour Conference was one of the finest speeches ever. But he was a stronger personality and once people had formed a view of him, it was hard to shift, especially as for so often he had to fight against the very damning view people had formed of the Labour party at the time.

EdM doesn't set the house on fire nor does he scare the bejasus out of you (though I think his natural tendencies are statist and authoritarian) and the Labour appears to be more united than people expected and not populated by the sort of wild-eyed loons we had in the 1980's. That may well be enough when set against a Tory/Lib Dem coalition which, while doing some good things (the raising of the personal allowance etc) seems a bit "meh" and doesn't inspire much loyalty or sense of what they want to do with power.

Even if Labour win I think they will very rapidly find themselves lost because they appear to have no compass by which to chart their journey.
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, 107% wasn't really a line, more of a guideline (it was usually ignored).

Ha, I remember 2005. That was a joke.

On points, I knew those setups, but not the years.

Those are some good arguments for the teams to remain. I do think 24 cars is a good total for the grid, but I wish the backmarkers were more competitive.

It'd be nice for the backend of the grid to be as competitive as the front end, where you regularly get 8-10 cars within a second of the leader in Q1. But remember that Red Bull were Jaguar, who were Stewart GP, a brand-new team in 1997. We need new teams to come in; perhaps Marussia or Caterham could be in a similar position in 15 years time (and after several changes of ownership).

As for 107%; it was not necessarily ignored. They realised that sometimes a driver was slow for some reason beyond their control, for instance a mechanical problem, brainfart or track conditions. For this reason, if a driver had got within that time in one of the free practice sessions, they were generally allowed in.

ISTR there was one year when it rained halfway though qualifying and after one driver had set a very fast time in the dry. Most of the drivers would have been out if the rule was rigidly applied!
  • Options
    @Roger

Return to 1950s values:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7R7dDJmwPY

Ed didn't sound very composed, but at times he sounded incoherent, it doesn't help if you have a voice for the silent movies and a face for radio. Ultimately if the message is poor, even good presentation won't help.
  • Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

"Typical head in the sand "nailed on-ner""

What price have you been laying a Lab Maj on Betfair, or haven't you really, it's just that you like typing "nailed on" and rEd.

Ave price 2.291
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour shortlist for Lewisham Deptford

Janet Daby (Lewisham Cllr) http://janetdaby.blogspot.it/
    Vicky Foxcroft (Lewisham Cllr, Unite officer) http://www.vickyfoxcroft.com/
    Paula Hirst http://www.paulahirst.com/
    Florence Nosegbe (Lambeth Cllr, former NEC candidate, Progress, runner up in Lewisham East selection)
    Catherine McDonald (Southwark Cllr, former SpAd to Jim Knight) http://www.catherinemcdonald.org.uk/
    Mendora Ogbogto (I don't have a clue on who she is)

Hustings and vote on May 18th.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Even if Labour win I think they will very rapidly find themselves lost because they appear to have no compass by which to chart their journey.

If you believe some posters on pbc they most definitely do have a compass and it's pointed directly at the 1983 manifesto.
  • Options
    @Andrea

What?! No Dora?! I demand a re-run!!!!
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Andrea

What?! No Dora?! I demand a re-run!!!!

No Dora. But we have Mendora!

• Options
    @Dr spyn.

Brilliant!
  • Options
    @Andrea

Controversy - both Vicky and Janet claim support from CWU, they cant both be right?
  • Options
    Oh dear, even comment is free is bundling on Ed Miliband today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/29/ed-miliband-not-tony-blair-who-impress

"It is not Miliband's detractors, haters and enemies who are making an issue of his personality or image – it is Miliband himself. Far from opposing the Conservatives with a nuts and bolts economic critique, he is a pure personality politician. Unfortunately for Labour, the type of personality he projects is not intended to woo "middle England". (The very thought of it …) No: Miliband's world is smaller. Amazingly, he works hard at presenting an image – but it is an image designed to please his own movement. Miliband has constructed an image as a man who spurns New Labour, whose heart is with the workers and their unions, who is no friend to bankers and no enemy to the poor. It is a wonderfully attractive face to present to many in the Labour party and among its well-wishers who crave a bit of red in their flagbearer. Although in reality, Miliband remains as mildly centrist as any contemporary British politician, he has tailored his image to please people who long for the old left to come back. His awkwardness and geekishness help with this. How like dear old Michael Foot he is at times.

But none of Miliband's posturing to please the left means anything at all to the wider electorate that voted New Labour into power three times. While Tories celebrate their three-term leader of yore, Labour denies its far more recent years of triumph. Miliband is rewarded by supporters simply for being Not New Labour. Lack of smoothness helps suggest that.

The very face and mannerisms that help him to be Not Tony Blair by definition fail to mean much to voters who think Aneurin Bevan is a Swedish centre forward. Miliband's persona makes sense within the history of the Labour movement. Outside it, he is communicating less and less."
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Andrea

Controversy - both Vicky and Janet claim support from CWU, they cant both be right?

LOL. I know.
    And we're just at the start of Euro selections and I already notice some names in more than one Endorsements page for candidates in the same region and with just a single ballot (not in regions with 1 ballot per gender. So 2 endorsements would make sense).

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Cyclefree said:

O/T - but responding to Antifrank:-

You said in the previous thread that the state should intervene in what religious bodies thought if they wanted to have a tax break (I paraphrase - fairly I hope).

Telling charities that what they do must comply with the land is fine. Telling people what they must think is not. If a charitable organisation believes that marriage is a sacrament between a man and a woman (let's make it a Jewish organisation) there is no reason why its work providing a soup kitchen to the homeless should not benefit from a tax break (if that is what the law permits). Providing food to the homeless is the activity for which the tax break is provided. Their view of what marriage means is irrelevant to the charitable activity which is being provided/subsidised by the rest of us.

I think that's right, and pretty well-established practice. The question to ask is whether the charitable activity promotes the beliefs of the organisation or the practice of the charity (for instance, if they only provided food to homeless people who confirmed they were Christian, or required them to say Grace before eating).
  • Options
    SeanT will be distraught. John Rentoul has approvingly retweeted his column.
  • Options
    @Andrea

I can officially announce that my endorsement for the Lewisham Deptford Labour selection is up for grabs. Come on ladies, how much do you want it?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Oh dear, even comment is free is bundling on Ed Miliband today:

Cheer up lefties - PM Cameron is on with Martha tomorrow.

Not sure if he'll be advocating a £12Bn VAT giveaway to lower the deficit mind you..
  • Options
    tim said:

It is not just that life is worse when you are surrounded by foreigners

Remind me never to go on holidays with this person.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Andrea

I can officially announce that my endorsement for the Lewisham Deptford Labour selection is up for grabs. Come on ladies, how much do you want it?

Who are you supporting for the Euro selection? The wonderfully named Seb Dance?
  • Options
    @Cyclefree I'm not happy with your paraphrase. Religious bodies are free to believe what they wish. They can believe that disabled people did bad things in previous lives, that eating shellfish is immoral or that pieces of bread turn into flesh in their mouths. I would not withdraw tax advantages from organisations that espoused such views even though many would find them offensive or bizarre.

But when those bodies start putting their views into practice in such a way as treats minority groups as inferior, the state is entitled to say "you hold those views, fine, but don't expect a tax advantage to be maintained for you when you put yourself outside society's norms today in a way that harms others."
  • Options
    tim said:

@antifrank

Is the Telegraph Comments section always like this?

Yes - add in "Liblabcon" and "only Ukip can create water from wine" etc and you have 90% of all posts in the comments. The cyberKippers are like the Terminator - relentless and unstoppable.
  • Options
    @Andrea

It's not the most attractive shortlist, is it? He seems perfectly fine. Though a former spad. All told I am happier having a vote on the Green selection than Labour's ;)
  • Options
    "The very face and mannerisms that help him to be Not Tony Blair by definition fail to mean much to voters who think Aneurin Bevan is a Swedish centre forward."

That Bevan is a better centre forward than Zlatan Ibrahimović
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), surely 'relentless and inevitably defeated'?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @Neil

A former SpAd is a gay relationship with another former SpAd.
    There are some rumblings on who has been excluded from that shortlist. Labour should get a third seat, so the top new candidate is likely to get in. Anderson or Bertoletti as early favourites?
  • Options
    Ed Balls with Emma Double-Surname today
    http://mypict.me/index.php?id=354064184
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2013
    "...CCHQ’s dire predictions — one source there is talking about 750 losses if the UKIP wave doesn’t break "

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/tory-leadership-prepares-mps-for-the-worst/
  • Options

Roger said:

Being interfered with by a male or female pervert would at least have been warm!

Things happened when I was at school in the 1950's and 1960's which would nowadays be classed as physical abuse . I believe that one of UKIP's policies is to return to the much stricter discipline of those days

Discipline, yes. Abuse, no.
    All my schooling was in the 1940's and early 1950's, (I was conscripted in 1952). It is a fact that caning was frequently practised - on hands mostly, but on the bottom also - and punishments for educational or disciplinary infringements of having to write out up to 500 lines of some peculiarly banal comments, common.

Mind you, all us pupils used to laugh off these punishments, mainly because this was the norm for the times and corporal punishment was widespread.

• Options
    @Andrea

You're just backing the Italian, Andrea ;)

I note than Lucy and Kamaljeet also need to talk to each other about who really has the backing of Unite and the GMB.
  • Options
    I see Mrs Campbell isn't going to fight Glenda's seat.
  • Options
    A summary of of of Ed Milliband's star interview today from Lord Palmerston.. uhm uhm uhm glug glug.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1360195-ed-miliband-wato-29-4-13

Warning - not for people of a nervous disposition or socialists.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    The problem with Ed Milband is not that he is a poor communicator (although he is, of course), but that there is nothing to communicate, since his only political strategy is to avoid anything which his potential supporters don't want to hear. On the most basic question of all - would you seek to increase or reduce the deficit? - Labour hasn't got an answer. No-one expects them to have a fully-worked out plan, but surely it's not asking too much to expect them at least to be be able to say whether Osborne is supposed to have cut too little or too much.

And the reason they are in this pickle is perfectly clear: it's a combination of Brown's deficit-denial, which left Labour in a strategic cul-de-sac, and the fact that Osborne has actually judged things correctly. There really is no alternative to the gentle course towards sanity which he has set out.
  • Options

"...CCHQ’s dire predictions — one source there is talking about 750 losses if the UKIP wave doesn’t break "

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/04/tory-leadership-prepares-mps-for-the-worst/

That has to be the worst bit of expectations management I've seen in a long time.

If we lose 750 seats, that's an ELE.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    What a car crash!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

That has to be the worst bit of expectations management I've seen in a long time.

What's an "ELE"?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Neil said:

@Andrea

You're just backing the Italian, Andrea ;)

I note than Lucy and Kamaljeet also need to talk to each other about who really has the backing of Unite and the GMB.

They use AV....but even taking preferences into account, I am not sure it works well..."I have Unite's first preference"..."I am Unite's second preference"....especially as being number 4 is unlikely to be a winnable position.

Also check Theresa Griffin and Afzal Khan's endorsements in North West to spot some names/unions being in 2 lists...at least there there is the chance of 2 new Lab candidates being elected, so second choice would probably get a seat.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT @Andrea

Noted that Letta has agreed to cut Monti's Mansion Tax (IMU).

Is this a tax holiday, suspension sine die or a repeal?
  • Options

What's an "ELE"?

Extinction Level Event.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Official? Waiting for Dobbo to finally confirm he's retiring in safer Holborn?

• Options
    Avery

He said no payment in June while government will reform the system.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Official? Waiting for Dobbo to finally confirm he's retiring in safer Holborn?

So she says to the Standard -

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/school-campaigner-fiona-millar-quits-labour-battle-for-glenda-jacksons-seat-8595217.html

"Education campaigner Fiona Millar today revealed she is pulling out of a battle to represent Labour in Glenda Jackson’s seat at the 2015 election.

She told the Evening Standard she would instead focus all her energy on campaigning against Michael Gove’s school reforms. She also felt Ed Miliband’s education policies were too “vague” at present and wanted to stay outside “the party machine”."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just seen the coverage of Ed on World at One.....

Oh dear

• Options
    Big disagreement between the Telegraph and the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316626/Miliband-refuses-TEN-times-admit-Labour-borrow-billions-Alternative-Queens-Speech-reveals-28-1billion-black-hole.html

Was it 10 times or 13 times? Can we get this independently audited?
  • Options
    Off-topic:

NBA player Jason Collins comes out as gay.

Good on him. I hope everyone's supportive. Now all we need are for the gay premiership (and other) players to come out as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22341153
  • Options
    @TGHF

Thanks. It sounds as definitive.

If Holborn & St Pancras becomes vacant in the next 2 years, we will check if she has finished fighting Gove's reforms
  • Options
    antifrank said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316626/Miliband-refuses-TEN-times-admit-Labour-borrow-billions-Alternative-Queens-Speech-reveals-28-1billion-black-hole.html

A state organised media regulator would put a stop to these kind of inaccuracies
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727
    Is there a possibility of the CofE and Catholic Churches being reduced/elevated (?) to the status of Sharia councils in the next 25 years or so.

Watching Panorama the other day, many Muslims have Sharia ceremonies that are not official weddings under UK law, but are still official to them in that the cleric is the only person who can grant divorce etc

It could be that soon marriages of all sexes are equivalent to civil ceremonies ie legal in terms of the the state, with seperate religious ceremonies for those who are religious, depending on whether the church approve or not?

• Options
    antifrank said:

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself."
This discussion has been closed.